PDA

View Full Version : Weis buyout

Mr. Laz
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow ...

POSTED 5:04 p.m. EST, January 15, 2007

WEIS BUYOUT? $21 MILLION

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports in his weekly Monday Morning Quarterback column that the contract between Notre Dame and coach Charlie Weis contains a whopping $21 million buyout if Weis were to bolt to the NFL.

King describes the number as "rock-solid, no-exceptions."

Prior published reports suggested that the number is a large one; King is the first one to track down a specific figure.

And a provision like this is the answer to all of the questions we've received recently regarding the ability of guys like the Nicktator and Falcons coach Bobby Placebo (thanks to the reader who suggested the nickname) to disregard the balance of a contract with a pro or college team.

Nick Saban requested a term that allowed him to leave the Dolphins for a college program without financial penalty. Placebo did the same thing at Louisville.

It's a matter of basic contract negotiation. With Weis, the Irish were willing to give him a very long-term extension (based on only a handful of games coached at the time) in exchange for his agreement to include the monstrous buyout provision.

Of course, based on the performance of Notre Dame in 2006, we're not sure anyone would really want Weis at this point. Also, don't forget that there's still a fairly strong (and primarily subconscious) bias among NFL owners regarding portly coaches, and Weis is still on the large side despite gastric bypass surgery that nearly claimed his life.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I think Weis would do great for an NFL team. Better in the NFL, than waste his good coaching for Notre Dame.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
He should induce a massive heart attack, resign for health reasons, and then take the job once Coughlin gets shitcanned next year.

Bob Dole
01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Bob Dole isn't convinced that in today's NFL, a successful college coach can move to the NFL and adapt to the me-me-prima-donnas.

Bob Dole already had doubts before today. Hearing a consumate pro like Jerry Rice (ignoring how annoying he is to listen to on the radio) say that he has absolutely zero interest in coaching in any capacity in today's NFL, and it's 100% because of the mentality and attitude of the players, pretty much sealed it.

While the basic rules of the game are the same, the environment is completely different. Bob Dole isn't going to claim that it's impossible that anyone will ever make a successful move from college to the NFL, but there are going to be a whole bunch of washouts for every one that makes it.

01-15-2007, 10:38 PM
He should induce a massive heart attack, resign for health reasons, and then take the job once Coughlin gets shitcanned next year.
ROFL

milkman
01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Two questions.
Has Peter King ever filed an accurate report?

And

Has Charlie Weiss won a big game yet?

Deberg_1990
01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Two questions.

I hear Tony G is headed to the Packers in the off-season.....LOL

FringeNC
01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Two questions.

And

Has Charlie Weiss won a big game yet?

Well, ND did get referee-jobbed out of the USC game last year...

milkman
01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I hear Tony G is headed to the Packers in the off-season.....LOL

That's Atahanesque.

Bob Dole
01-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Two questions.

He's pretty spot-on with a lot of his travel observations.