PDA

View Full Version : If your the Chiefs, do you go WR in round 1?

RedThat
01-16-2007, 01:17 PM
This is a tough choice.

I'd love a big play WR, and I think it's time that the Chiefs get one.

This is something we've never had in a looooooooong time. But it's tough because as much as the Chiefs need a WR, they need a DT just as bad, and even an OT.

So in round 1 at #23, if the best player available is a WR, DT, or OT? What do you take? I think Im going WR. I think Herm and the staff can find defensive talent in the later rounds.

At the WR position for the Chiefs, let's face the facts. The Chiefs only have 1 starter in Kennison. And he's 33. I like Kennison. I think he is a decent WR. Not somebody though youd have to scratch your head over if your an opposing coach wondering how your going to game plan against the guy. Kennison to me, fits the perfect role of a complimentary WR. And the depth at the WR position has me concerned. I look at Samie Parker he is not a starting NFL WR. But could be a good a good depth guy?

There is no doubt in mind the Chiefs best receiver is Tony G, and Im happy we signed the guy. But I feel this is a position we need bigtime, it is important to help out our passing game. We need an injection of youth, and talent here. Somebody else that can stretch the field, create seperation, and get open, make the sure catches, and the big plays when we need them. I never seen us have that kind of player. A big threat that teams have to game plan against. It's time we get Tony G the help he deserves.

*Folks, after this playoff loss Im convinced we need a WR. 7 dropped passes by our WR's...no 1st downs in the 1st half. ZERO catches by our WRs. Im thoroughly convinced after the playoff game, this position needs to be addressed.

HemiEd
01-16-2007, 01:18 PM
BPA

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 01:18 PM
You go Long Snapper, then bullpen catcher, immediately followed by Fluff Girls in rounds 3-7.

noa
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think we need to draft a WR in the 1st round, but we definitely need to be more proactive in addressing our WR needs than we have been the past two offseasons.

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 01:20 PM
If Jarrett or Ginn are available I would.

RedThat
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't think we need to draft a WR in the 1st round, but we definitely need to be more proactive in addressing our WR needs than we have been the past two offseasons.

But you dont think the draft is a good place to do it?

Their are some good talented WR's in the draft this year. If one of those guys, Jackson, Jarrett, Ginn, Samardizjia falls to #23, I might consider drafting one of those guys.

*In FA, their is not much out there. The best guys are Drew Bennett, and Kevin Curtis imo.

RedThat
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
You go Long Snapper, then bullpen catcher, immediately followed by Fluff Girls in rounds 3-7.

You forgot the chicken mascot. We'll sign him as an undrafted FA...Then every time the Raiders score...He can go ha bok bok bok bok bok bok touchdown.

Brock
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
BPA

No question about it.

digi2fish
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I would rather take an OT.
and for God's sake, start Huard the next season.
it would give us decent passing plays.

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 01:31 PM
What is everyone's opinion of Jeff Samardzija? Is he looking like a 1st rounder or 2nd.

POND_OF_RED
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
With the Jets first choice in the draft, they select................................fullback...............Texas AM............LOLOLOLOLOL I can't stop laughing when I hear that.

Arrowhead Pride
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Their are some good talented WR's in the draft this year. If one of those guys, Jackson, Jarrett, Ginn, Samardizjia falls to #23, I might consider drafting one of those guys.

*In FA, their is not much out there. The best guys are Drew Bennett, and Kevin Curtis imo.
I think if any of those guys is available with the exception of Samardizjia, we should take them.

<a href="http://www.arrowheadpride.com">Arrowhead Pride</a>

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Guard. Look at our roster. Shields and Waters are only two listed.

Guard or MLB. No WR. Still thinking about Snoop's meaningless impact.

Indiscriminately, drafting the best player available is a good strategy. Trading may pan out for line help.

noa
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
But you dont think the draft is a good place to do it?

Yeah, I would love to get a WR in RD 1 or RD 2, but we have so many needs to address that I wouldn't be disappointed if we spent our first two picks on any of the following: OT, DT, C, WR, or CB.
The free agency group isn't great for WRs, so I do hope we land someone in the draft, but you never know who might still be on the board when we draft.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
it would give us decent passing plays.

And what if the OT's left when we pick are projected 2nd or 3rd rounders?

We NEED a WR and the WR position this year is much deeper than the OT position.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:42 PM
What is everyone's opinion of Jeff Samardzija? Is he looking like a 1st rounder or 2nd.

He's a 2nd or 3rd-rounder IMO. Reminds me alot of Taylor Stubblefield out of Purdue a couple of years ago.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2007, 01:42 PM
i think for the most part you go Best Player Available.

BUT....

i think you also weight the players according to positional need.

if you have a few players that all rank really close to each other than you pick the position you need most.

hopefully we'll get another "steal" to fall to us like we have the last couple of years.

Derrick Johnson - they said he wasn't physical enough
Tamba Hali - they said he wasn't fast enough

FringeNC
01-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I say take DT. We are weak there and DT is one of the positions where coaching is the least important. I don't trust our coaching staff to develop anyone.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I say take DT. We are weak there and DT is one of the positions where coaching is the least important. I don't trust our coaching staff to develop anyone.

Sounds like a good way to end up with another Junior Siavii...

FloridaMan88
01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
left tackle or WR IMO

ChiefsCountry
BPA out of WR, OT, DT, or LB.

Archie Bunker
He's a 2nd or 3rd-rounder IMO. Reminds me alot of Taylor Stubblefield out of Purdue a couple of years ago.

Thanks

Mr. Laz
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
LB Lamarr Woodley, Michigan
WR Dwayne Jarrett, Southern Cal
DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee
WR Jeff Samardzija, Notre Dame
TE Zach Miller, Arizona State

FringeNC
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Sounds like a good way to end up with another Junior Siavii...

Don't listen to Gunther, then. Savii was Gun's pick. Not making that up. Read awhile back that Gun was deferred to on that pick, and Saunders was deferred to on Bigfoot.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Don't listen to Gunther, then. Savii was Gun's pick. Not making that up. Read awhile back that Gun was deferred to on that pick, and Saunders was deferred to on Bigfoot.

I know he was Gunther's pick, but trusting Gunther isn't the biggest mistake they made that day.

They wanted Olshansky, and when he came off the board to San Diego the pick before, they panicked. They NEEDED a DT and rather than take BPA, they took the next best DT, despite the fact that Siavii was a 4th or 5th round prospect.

It's VERY likely that a 1st-round DT won't be available when we pick, it's a very weak year for DT's in general. We'd be better off to look for a WR or LB, or trade down.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
i think for the most part you go Best Player Available.

BUT....

i think you also weight the players according to positional need.

if you have a few players that all rank really close to each other than you pick the position you need most.

I would agree with that.

blackhawk
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
hell no go o line or dt!

Chiefnj
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I know he was Gunther's pick, but trusting Gunther isn't the biggest mistake they made that day.

They wanted Olshansky, and when he came off the board to San Diego the pick before, they panicked. They NEEDED a DT and rather than take BPA, they took the next best DT, despite the fact that Siavii was a 4th or 5th round prospect.

It's VERY likely that a 1st-round DT won't be available when we pick, it's a very weak year for DT's in general. We'd be better off to look for a WR or LB, or trade down.

Give the Jets our first round pick and take both of their 2nd rounders.

With three 2nd round picks to reach for, we'd have months of entertainment on the Planet.

freestater
01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Give the Jets our first round pick and take both of their 2nd rounders.

With three 2nd round picks to reach for, we'd have months of entertainment on the Planet.
Why would we take your first, when you're only going to be a spot or two ahead of us?

eazyb81
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
BPA out of OT, WR, or DT.

Levi Brown, Sidney Rice, Teddy Ginn, Dwayne Jarrett, and Amobi Okoye would all be great picks.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Why would we take your first, when you're only going to be a spot or two ahead of us?

ROFL

Typical Jet fans. Gonna have to spell out your joke next time, NJ.

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
2006 Draft:
Chiefs Select DE Tamba Hali in Round 1
Chiefs Select S BERNARD POLLARD in Round 2
Chiefs Select QB Brodie Croyle in Round 3
Chiefs Select CB Marcus Maxey in Round 5
Chiefs Select T Tre Stallings in Round 6 (Listed also as G in KCChiefs.com draft page)
Chiefs Select WR Jeff Webb with second pick in Round 6
Chiefs Select S Jarrad Page in Round 7

2006 yielded a decent draft. What would be the natural progression in the upcoming draft? LB, FB, DT? Trading fodder?

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
hell no go o line or dt!

You do realize that those two positions are very shallow this year, and may be the 2 weakest positions overall in this year's draft?

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I'd REALLY like to see us go LB or WR this year in the 1st round. Those seem to be the positions that present the best chance for us to get a good playmaker ala Hali.

freestater
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
ROFL

Typical Jet fans. Gonna have to spell out your joke next time, NJ.
sorry, after five years of you-know-who, we Jets fans don't even like to hear stupid ideas hypothesized about.

noa
01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd REALLY like to see us go LB or WR this year in the 1st round. Those seem to be the positions that present the best chance for us to get a good playmaker ala Hali.

Interesting. Are you thinking we need another LB because we're going to let Kawika go, or just Kendrell Bell?

'Hamas' Jenkins
You do realize that those two positions are very shallow this year, and may be the 2 weakest positions overall in this year's draft?

Given the dearth of prospects, would it be wise for us to actually consider trading down to accumulate picks? Two solid 2nds and two 3rds could do more to help the various holes in this team than a late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, no?

htismaqe
sorry, after five years of you-know-who, we Jets fans don't even like to hear stupid ideas hypothesized about.

Understandable.

Herm is one thing.

But I wouldn't wish Terry Bradway on Al Davis.

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM

Yep. The Chiefs need an instant impact and those 2 positions are capable of providing that.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Given the dearth of prospects, would it be wise for us to actually consider trading down to accumulate picks? Two solid 2nds and two 3rds could do more to help the various holes in this team than a late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, no?

If we're bound and determined to get OL or DL with our first pick, then yes, this would seem to be a good year to trade down and get additional picks.

freestater
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Understandable.

Herm is one thing.

But I wouldn't wish Terry Bradway on Al Davis.
ROFL

Alphaman
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I'd go DT. That is by far our biggest weakness and where we must come out of the draft with an impact player. Don't forget we have 2 young WRs that Herm is high on (Webb and Hannon).

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Interesting. Are you thinking we need another LB because we're going to let Kawika go, or just Kendrell Bell?

Either.

If you can get a stud MLB, then you have the flexibility to let Kawika go. And if you can get a stud OLB, then you can let Kendrell Bell go.

Flexibility.

The thing about LB's is that they often drop, it's how we got DJ. The chances of a stud LB being there at 24 are much greater than some other positions.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:06 PM
To further htismaqe's premise...Ray Lewis was drafted 26th, IIRC.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:06 PM
I'd go DT. That is by far our biggest weakness and where we must come out of the draft with an impact player. Don't forget we have 2 young WRs that Herm is high on (Webb and Hannon).

1) There's very little chance we're going to get an impact DT in this draft unless the scouts do their work and get a gem in the late rounds. The true "impact" DT's in this draft will likely be gone before we pick in the 1st.

2) The 2 WR's Herm is high on are projects at best. Webb is a Danan Hughes-type player, and I'd be surprised if Hannon ever made the game-day roster at this point.

Frazod
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Apparently you guys missed the Colts game.

The offensive line should be our ABSOLUTE FIRST PRIORITY. It doesn't matter who we have at WR if our QB gets no protection. It doesn't matter who we have at RB if no holes are opened for him to run through.

All other considerations should be secondary.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
The other thing that leads me to picking a LB...

Football is a game of matchups, strengths, and weaknesses.

Alot of people look at our LB corp and compare it to our DL and don't get it.

But you can never underestimate the power of making a strong unit stronger. Having just one GREAT unit can improve the play of the entire defense or offense. Look no further than our offensive line under Vermeil and what it did for Trent Green and the long list of no-name WR's...

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:10 PM

The offensive line should be our ABSOLUTE FIRST PRIORITY. It doesn't matter who we have at WR if our QB gets no protection. It doesn't matter who we have at RB if no holes are opened for him to run through.

So are you suggesting picking an offensive lineman no matter what?

Chief Chief
01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Let's hear it from ya if ya think we should take the best athlete available at the time of our selection no matter what position they play...

Brock
01-16-2007, 02:12 PM

sure, if there is an OL that is available at the right spot. The only position this team doesn't have a need at is RB, DE and S.

jAZ
01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Anything but OL is borderline insanity. Unless we can get what we need in FA on the line. Even then, I'd say DL is a bigger priority.

Mecca

So you'd rather reach eh?

I think some people don't understand even if it's by far your number 1 need.....if you take a severe reach you are in the same spot the next year. Look how many reaches we made at DT and guess what.....we're still in the same spot.

Better off taking the best players available and filling other holes than reaching and filling nothing.

Alphaman

I saw the Colts game AND the entire season. In both cases our DTs were a huge liability. Remember the Colts scored their first TD when they discovered they could just run it down our throats instead of having Manning continue to throw the ball to Ty Law.

While OT is a need, we did have a RB run for 1800 yards. Don't get me wrong, we need to revamp the OLine, but the biggest need is DT (especially for the type of team Herm wants to field).

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Anything but OL is borderline insanity. Unless we can get what we need in FA on the line. Even then, I'd say DL is a bigger priority.

So when we get a 3rd rate Tackle that can't play will you be satisfied?

Also the guy who said Guard is insane you do not pick guards in the first round.

Frazod
So are you suggesting picking an offensive lineman no matter what?

Hell yes, unless a Gift-From-God pick falls into our laps.

Shields will be gone.
Waters and Weigman are slipping.
Welbourne has completed his slip.
Turley is unreliable and unhealthy.
Black is, well, Black.

This line is our f#cking doom.

htismaqe
Let's hear it from ya if ya think we should take the best athlete available at the time of our selection no matter what position they play...

My feeling is that you should always take the BPA. Need should TEMPER that pick slightly, firstly based on needs you need to fill and secondly by positions where you currently have no need at all. Finally, there are certain positions that you probably shouldn't target in the 1st or 2nd, regardless, like kicker.

Mecca
Some of you guys are totally missing how many holes this team has.....there are holes at almost every single position.

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Shields will be gone.
Black is, well, Black.

You'll be happy when we take a end of the 2nd round value lineman in the first eh?

Say hello to the Siavii of the Oline...brilliant man brilliant.

FringeNC

No, I didn't miss the Colts game. That kinda shit happens when 5 guys are asked to block 9.

LT is weak, no doubt. I still have hopes for Svitek, though. Black is a decent RG. I wouldn't be pissed if we took a tackle, but I don't think it's a MUST.

Brock

Taking a borderline player with a first round pick is insanity. Feeling you need a particular position filled is a bad mindset to go into a draft with, unless you've got a top 10 pick.

Chief Chief
01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Let's just go with some of you are talking about and take the best athlete available at the time of our selection. Which means that if that would happen to be a TE, then we pick him up and add him to our stable of TEs (Gonzalez, Dunn, Wilson). Hey, we can really screw up alot of defenses by lining up with 3 TEs on the field!!

Archie Bunker
Some of you guys are totally missing how many holes this team has.....there are holes at almost every single position.

Yep. TE, HB, and maybe S are about the only positions that don't have major holes.

Extra Point
Is it too much to ask the 1st rounder to sign right away, so the holdout disruption doesn't happen?

Alphaman
01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
1) There's very little chance we're going to get an impact DT in this draft unless the scouts do their work and get a gem in the late rounds. The true "impact" DT's in this draft will likely be gone before we pick in the 1st.

2) The 2 WR's Herm is high on are projects at best. Webb is a Danan Hughes-type player, and I'd be surprised if Hannon ever made the game-day roster at this point.

1) The same could have been said about DE in last draft, yet we got one. There are 4 DTs projected to go in the 1st round. There is a good chance one is on the board at 23, maybe 2. I think we've got a shot at Tyler from NC State.

2) The Chiefs placed Hannon on the 53 man roster at the end of the season to protect him. They obviously see something in him. Herm believes Webb is a player, he'll get playing time. Look, I'm not saying we don't NEED a WR. I'm saying we NEED a DT more.

Mecca
Let's just go with some of you are talking about and take the best athlete available at the time of our selection. Which means that if that would happen to be a TE, then we pick him up and add him to our stable of TEs (Gonzalez, Dunn, Wilson). Hey, we can really screw up alot of defenses by lining up with 3 TEs on the field!!

You just took that arguement and spun it into retard levels.

htismaqe

Shields will be gone.
Black is, well, Black.

So we draft Trezelle Jenkins.

And then next year, when we NEED a cornerback, we're in a pickle because we still NEED an OT because the one we drafted this year isn't any good...

Interior linemen can be had in the later rounds. Great OG very rarely are 1st-rounders. We got Shields in the 3rd...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:18 PM
You'll be happy when we take a end of the 2nd round value lineman in the first eh?

Say hello to the Siavii of the Oline...brilliant man brilliant.

I refer to my sig.

Mecca
1) The same could have been said about DE in last draft, yet we got one. There are 4 DTs projected to go in the 1st round. There is a good chance one is on the board at 23, maybe 2. I think we've got a shot at Tyler from NC State.

2) The Chiefs placed Hannon on the 53 man roster at the end of the season to protect him. They obviously see something in him. Herm believes Webb is a player, he'll get playing time. Look, I'm not saying we don't NEED a WR. I'm saying we NEED a DT more.

This team will never touch Tyler.......he got kicked off the team and has been arrested a few times.

Brock

I would guess there would be an equivalent player that you'd take if that unlikely scenario were to develop. Or you could trade down. Taking a player based on need is what gets you Trezelle Jenkins.

Frazod
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I'd rather not draft the next Trezelle Jenkins. Maybe we could actually get a good player this time.

Carl's past drafting failures don't change the fact that the o-line is our greatest weakness right now.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Tony Gonzales is 30-years old and is in the process of signing a HUGE contract. A contract that is likely voidable in case age catches up with him quickly. Jason Dunn ended the year on IR with a BAD BACK, which is never a good injury for a guy his size whose primary responsibility is blocking. And finally, Kris Wilson is our starting FULLBACK.

So yes, if the BPA is a tight end, we TAKE HIM.

Mecca
I'd rather not draft the next Trezelle Jenkins. Maybe we could actually get a good player this time.

Carl's past drafting failures don't change the fact that the o-line is our greatest weakness right now.

So did you miss all the posts about how this is a weak year at OT?

Mecca
Tony Gonzales is 30-years old and is in the process of signing a HUGE contract. A contract that is likely voidable in case age catches up with him quickly. Jason Dunn ended the year on IR with a BAD BACK, which is never a good injury for a guy his size whose primary responsibility is blocking. And finally, Kris Wilson is our starting FULLBACK.

So yes, if the BPA is a tight end, we TAKE HIM.

Ask the Pats they seem to draft a TE every year.

eazyb81
01-16-2007, 02:22 PM
The more I think about, the more I wouldn't mind seeing us nab MLB beast Patrick Willis if he is there at 23. Someone else correctly pointed out that LBs tend to fall in the draft, and IMO Willis is one of the best MLB prospects to come out the past few years.

For some reason, he isn't getting the pub he deserves (probably because he played for an awful Ole Miss team), but the guy is a tremendous player and an excellent person. Herm might view him as our version of Jon Vilma and take him to replace Mitchell.

brent102fire
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Herm seems high on Jeff Webb and Chris Hannon. I say put these guys on the field and pick up a WR in FA or trade. Webb, Hannon, Kennison and Parker plus a FA or later round pick. However, if Ginn or Jarrett were to fall to # 23, I would definately consider one of them :hmmm: I think DT and OL help are way more important...

RJ
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
If there isn't any clear cut best available athlete on the board I'd want to see an OL taken. That seems to be the one area where Carl & Co. generally make good decisions and it's certainly a position that needs help.

Brock
01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
The more I think about, the more I wouldn't mind seeing us nab MLB beast Patrick Willis if he is there at 23. Someone else correctly pointed out that LBs tend to fall in the draft, and IMO Willis is one of the best MLB prospects to come out the past few years.

For some reason, he isn't getting the pub he deserves (probably because he played for an awful Ole Miss team), but the guy is a tremendous player and an excellent person. Herm might view him as our version of Jon Vilma and take him to replace Mitchell.

This would be an awesome pick.

Mecca

Fear the Bills.........they likely won't resign Fletcher and will consider MLB one of their top needs.

htismaqe

1) Last year's DE class was much deeper than this year's DT class. Both Kiwi and Hali were rated as late 1st/early 2nd-rounders. The drop-off between Williams and the next group of guys was marginal. The drop-off between Branch/Okoye and guys like Quinn Pitcock is HUGE. Pitcock will likely be a 2nd-rounder simply because there's nobody else at the position...he's at LEAST 3rd-round material...

2) And I'm saying I don't care what we NEED more. Take the best football player on the board and move on. No more Junior Siavii's on this team, thanks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
So we draft Trezelle Jenkins.

And then next year, when we NEED a cornerback, we're in a pickle because we still NEED an OT because the one we drafted this year isn't any good...

Interior linemen can be had in the later rounds. Great OG very rarely are 1st-rounders. We got Shields in the 3rd...

I'm all for biting the bullet this year and s*cking, if need be.

We need to think long term, b/c we aren't winning it all next year.

Patrick Willis would be a great pick...a great pick, even though he's an LB.

Imagine DJ and Willis roaming the middle/edges of the field. If we can pick up an impact DT next year through FA, and draft an above average one this year, this defense could be very, very good, especially since we don't need great corners to run the scheme.

In the middle rounds this year, we should look to pick up a G and a C. I'd rather Black just die than play RG for us...we need to give Svitek and Terry a shot at the edges, even if they aren't great, they can provide stop gaps until we find their replacements...

Hamas' Chiefs mock

1. Jarrett/Patrick Willis
2. Doug Free OT, NIU
3-7 BPA, w/ emphasis placed on G and CB in the mid-late rounds.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:26 PM

I mentioned it before, drafting a guy like Trezelle Jenkins in the 1st round is NOT the result of Carl's poor scouting. The 1s-round guys are WELL KNOWN by everyone, hell WE HERE even know every strength and weakness.

You draft a guy like Trezelle Jenkins because you have a NEED and you REACH for a lesser player to fill it.

Alphaman
01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Is it too much to ask the 1st rounder to sign right away, so the holdout disruption doesn't happen?

Tamba, DJ and LJ were all signed before camp weren't they?

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I have this fear knowing the Chiefs and the way they've devalued WR's. Walking up to the podium with Jarrett on the board and picking Quin Pitcock.....

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Hamas' Chiefs mock

1. Jarrett/Patrick Willis
2. Doug Free OT, NIU
3-7 BPA, w/ emphasis placed on G and CB in the mid-late rounds.

That would be alright with me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
That would be alright with me.
Whenever I kill Carl and take over the Chiefs in a 2008 coup, your name will be on the list of protected people. Look for a job in player personnel

(note that this in no way makes you immune from future purges, invest in credit-life).

Rausch
01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I mentioned it before, drafting a guy like Trezelle Jenkins in the 1st round is NOT the result of Carl's poor scouting. The 1s-round guys are WELL KNOWN by everyone, hell WE HERE even know every strength and weakness.

You draft a guy like Trezelle Jenkins because you have a NEED and you REACH for a lesser player to fill it.

Or because you let your HC have final say on who you select (see the Percy Snow vid) and he reaches for a talented guy with questionable work ethic.

eazyb81
I have this fear knowing the Chiefs and the way they've devalued WR's. Walking up to the podium with Jarrett on the board and picking Quin Pitcock.....

I have a fear of drafting Quinn Pitcock at all.....he has mediocre written all over him, but someone will reach for him simply because the DT crop sucks this year.l

Dr. Van Halen
The draft is a total crapshoot that usually doesn't work out well for most teams.

Drafting a DT is even riskier than most in the first round -- look at the past few years. DT's get better with age as they learn the tricks of the trade. Pick up your DT's in FA.

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
The draft is a total crapshoot that usually doesn't work out well for most teams.

Drafting a DT is even riskier than most in the first round -- look at the past few years. DT's get better with age as they learn the tricks of the trade. Pick up your DT's in FA.

Alot of big money FA DT's are busts too.....

Rausch
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Or we could pull a Vikings move and not go to the podium at all... :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
This begs a philosophical question...why do DTs suck so much ass??

What are the intangibles one looks for in a DT other than decent quickness, great stremf, a high motor, and a mean streak? What are these tricks of the trade that Dr. Van Halen speaks of?

Alphaman
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
1) Last year's DE class was much deeper than this year's DT class. Both Kiwi and Hali were rated as late 1st/early 2nd-rounders. The drop-off between Williams and the next group of guys was marginal. The drop-off between Branch/Okoye and guys like Quinn Pitcock is HUGE. Pitcock will likely be a 2nd-rounder simply because there's nobody else at the position...he's at LEAST 3rd-round material....

What are you basing your draft projections on. What I've seen so far is 4 DTs carrying a 1st round grade. In last years draft there was supposedly a huge dropoff from Williams to Hali/Kiwi, yet Hali and Kiwi had as good as if not better rookie seasons than Williams.

Here's the way I see it. Our needs in order are:

DT
OT
CB
WR
OLB

I trust Herm's leadership in talent evaluation. I was screaming for us to take Kiwi last year and Herm saw much more talent and potential in Hali. I think he's right. If one of the 4 DTs are on the board and Herm evaluates him as an impact player, he's the guy I hope he takes. Just my opinion.

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
This begs a philosophical question...why do DTs suck so much ass??

What are the intangibles one looks for in a DT other than decent quickness, great stremf, a high motor, and a mean streak? What are these tricks of the trade that Dr. Van Halen speaks of?

It's because it takes a huge man who can do alot of things but then you add in that if you take a play off it can result in a 30 yard run.

It's hard to find 300lb guys with talent that aren't lazy basically. Even at the college level those guys don't have to work hard because they can just physically dominate everyone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
It's because it takes a huge man who can do alot of things but then you add in that if you take a play off it can result in a 30 yard run.

It's hard to find 300lb guys with talent that aren't lazy basically. Even at the college level those guys don't have to work hard because they can just physically dominate everyone.

So there's a link between being a huge sumbitch and lazy...interesting :hmmm:

noa
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Or we could pull a Vikings move and not go to the podium at all... :)

It benefited them more than us :banghead:

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
So there's a link between being a huge sumbitch and lazy...interesting :hmmm:

Most guys who weigh 300+lbs aren't going to be the hardest workers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Perhaps we should draft a DT w/ tools and then use a Jack Bauer method of coercion. We could hold his family hostage at given times during the year with physical threats made unless performance incentives are reached...

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
If Herm is true to his word, he will take the best football player regardless of position. If nothing else I think Herm sees the overall lack of talent on this team.

nychief
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
I would also pick a low risk FA or two. I would love to see Justin Gage at Arrowhead next season. He is big and strong - has local ties and is low risk. He might be a good cheap alternative.

Chief Nute
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
If we go WR, I would love to see us land Sidney Rice. I think we need someone that can stretch the field to work our underneath routes........that is one thing among many that we didnt have that would help this offense.......and for that matter.....we could solve some WR issues if we pick up Drew Bennett in free agency.

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Tamba, DJ and LJ were all signed before camp weren't they?

Yeah, that was cool. The John Tait signing saga, I don't want to relive as a fan. The guy got what he signed for, put in his time, and plblblblt, he was gone....

Sims. Though not a 1st rounder, was just rounder when he finally got to camp. He is doomed to play catch-up during his career in KC.

It would be nice to see another guy named Okoye in a Chiefs uniform, but looks like he'll be gone before our pick.

Rausch
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
If Herm is true to his word, he will take the best football player regardless of position. If nothing else I think Herm sees the overall lack of talent on this team.

I don't think we lack takent on defense. We lack depth and something at DT besdides Reed. And Reed was a last minute pick up that likely played better than everyone else in the rotation.

I don't understand how Gun could be such a great LB's coach yet our LB's have produced squat as far as big plays. Where are DJ and Bell? They definitely have the talent to be big-play LB's - why aren't they? And while Kawika is solid enough to man the middle with two good guys outside him he hasn't done much but whiff on easy sack opportunities.

Why aren't they productive?... :hmmm:

Dr. Van Halen
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Alot of big money FA DT's are busts too.....

Not as many. At least in FA we have tape of the player in the NFL. Less risk.

Rausch
01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
This thread should be changed to "What Rounds/How Many Safeties Do We Draft This Year?"

Mecca
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
If you wanna sign a DT....sign Rod Coleman atleast he fits the scheme.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Um, that's actually the OPPOSITE of good, sound strategy.

Free agent defensive tackles almost NEVER work out. EVER.

The only place to get a DT is in the draft.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
What are you basing your draft projections on. What I've seen so far is 4 DTs carrying a 1st round grade. In last years draft there was supposedly a huge dropoff from Williams to Hali/Kiwi, yet Hali and Kiwi had as good as if not better rookie seasons than Williams.

Here's the way I see it. Our needs in order are:

DT
OT
CB
WR
OLB

I trust Herm's leadership in talent evaluation. I was screaming for us to take Kiwi last year and Herm saw much more talent and potential in Hali. I think he's right. If one of the 4 DTs are on the board and Herm evaluates him as an impact player, he's the guy I hope he takes. Just my opinion.

I'd like to know who's telling you that anybody beyond Branch and Okoye are carrying 1st-round grades. I hope to God you're not talking about Quinn Pitcock...

ChiefsCountry
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Big money free agents dont work. Cheap ones seem to do the trick.

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
If you wanna sign a DT....sign Rod Coleman atleast he fits the scheme.

He would be my #1 FA target unless Briggs is available.

FAX
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Some teams seem to have a knack for developing young DTs. I've mentioned this before, but the Tacks appear do a great job of it.

I don't know if it's a Tack knack or a paddywhack, but you gotta give a dog a bone.

FAX

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM

We've had some interesting discussion before around this topic:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142633

ct
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
This team has so many holes we have to view the draft thru the BPA lens. I just hold out hope that BPA on the board will be a Tackle, either side.

FA, we should sign the Terd, who'll be cheap, and Briggs, who will not.

I do not think Jarrett will fall anywhere close to 23, though Ginn might. I don't want Ginn personally, nor am I too impressed with that Smarh;asjhdgauhrkjh dude.

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM

D-Line holdouts: Dan Williams.... Case in point? Leslie O'Neal, another?

ct
01-16-2007, 03:06 PM
htismaqer,

Tell me about your Iowa boy Marshal Yanda. Guard or Tackle?

KurtCobain
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Guard. Look at our roster. Shields and Waters are only two listed.

Guard or MLB. No WR. Still thinking about Snoop's meaningless impact.

Indiscriminately, drafting the best player available is a good strategy. Trading may pan out for line help.

Guard? wtf, if Shields(even though he's slipping) doesn't retire we don't need an ace guard 'till next year. And I'd be pissed if we wasted our first pick on what is arguably the easiest line position to fill. Hell, we're fine if Shields retires because I bet Welbourne could fill his position just fine. A Guard is the last thing we need. We need some offensive tackles. fast.

And MLB is not as big of a necessity as a DT or WR, which we need bad.

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
LB Lamarr Woodley, Michigan
WR Dwayne Jarrett, Southern Cal
DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee
WR Jeff Samardzija, Notre Dame
TE Zach Miller, Arizona State

If we draft Zach I think I may just become a Charger fan, another TE probably would drive me right over the edge.

ct
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Kawika is an UFA. We're gonna have to make a decision on him way before Draft weekend. While he won't require a huge contract, it'll still tie us to him for sure. But if we let him walk, we've exposed ourselves to a big need at MLB. We won't surprise anyone with a pick like Willis, if we've already let Mitchell go.

Brock
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
If we draft Zach I think I may just become a Charger fan, another TE probably would drive me right over the edge.

Here's hoping.

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Given the dearth of prospects, would it be wise for us to actually consider trading down to accumulate picks? Two solid 2nds and two 3rds could do more to help the various holes in this team than a late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, no?ROFL

You obviously have paid no atttention to our history in the 2nd round under Carl. Or you must be joking.

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Kawika is an UFA. We're gonna have to make a decision on him way before Draft weekend. While he won't require a huge contract, it'll still tie us to him for sure. But if we let him walk, we've exposed ourselves to a big need at MLB. We won't surprise anyone with a pick like Willis, if we've already let Mitchell go.

What's everyone's gut feeling on Kawika, do you think Herm/Carl will let him walk?

Mile High Mania
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I think KC should go the route of punter in R1... it's all about field positioning, baby!

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
ROFL

You obviously have paid no atttention to our history in the 2nd round under Carl. Or you must be joking.

I understand the joke, but we've got different player personnel in here now....last year's draft is a prime example (Bernard Pollard).

I just think that 4 good players would help more than 1 really good 1 good and two average....

Call it a hedonistic calculus, basic utilitarianism. The greatest good for the greatest number.

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
sure, if there is an OL that is available at the right spot. The only position this team doesn't have a need at is RB, DE and S.

So do you actually think we need a TE?

01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
I think KC should go the route of punter in R1... it's all about field positioning, baby!
ROFL

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
I understand the joke, but we've got different player personnel in here now....last year's draft is a prime example (Bernard Pollard).

I just think that 4 good players would help more than 1 really good 1 good and two average....

Call it a hedonistic calculus, basic utilitarianism. The greatest good for the greatest number.

First you are not going to get two 2nd rounders for a 24th pick in the draft.

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 03:23 PM

exactly and IMO we could field the exact same D and not be in a real bad postion.

O-line has to be first priority. I don't care how they do it, draft (shallow? whatever) Trade - (Bell? Knight? draft picks) or FA - if there are any good ones that aren't over the hill.

Re build the O-line

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
First you are not going to get two 2nd rounders for a 24th pick in the draft.

No, but you would get a 2nd and a 3rd, if you refer to my original post.

KurtCobain
01-16-2007, 03:25 PM
What's everyone's gut feeling on Kawika, do you think Herm/Carl will let him walk?

He's probably gonna stay. Herm likes him.

eazyb81
01-16-2007, 03:27 PM
He's probably gonna stay. Herm likes him.

How do you know?

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:31 PM

No you draft players like Trezelle and Junior because you trade down thinking you will get someone and then panic when you don't, Carl is famous for it in the trade down scenarios. One time it has worked out LJ but more often than not it has been a disaster.

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:32 PM
No, but you would get a 2nd and a 3rd, if you refer to my original post.

In which case you are losing to much on the talent front, third rounders are true crapshoots.

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 03:36 PM

I saw him miss some plays, and I hear (on here) that he hasn't the respect of his team mates, but I think he's alright, he just needs to roid up and gain 10-15 llbs of muscle so he doesn't get knocked on his ass so much.

what's our other option, add MLB to the needs list? Promote Boomer? Move Fox to MLB? Keep Bell so we only need to add one LB??

with those options, see if we can keep him cheap. Put Bell out for trade bait. Promote Fox to ROLB and put more efforts on improving the O line.

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:42 PM
What's everyone's gut feeling on Kawika, do you think Herm/Carl will let him walk?No

Brock
01-16-2007, 03:42 PM

We don't "need" a TE. But if that's the best available player, barring a trade down, then that's what you take. Like I said before, it's pretty unlikely that there wouldn't be an equivalent player that's more of a "need" on the board at that point.

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
We don't "need" a TE. But if that's the best available player, barring a trade down, then that's what you take. Like I said before, it's pretty unlikely that there wouldn't be an equivalent player that's more of a "need" on the board at that point.

I just think that there has to be a player at a position other than TE, Safety and RB where the next best athlete avaiable would play a position we are not set at. The talent difference would have to be huge IMO to warrant taking one of those positions considering we have needs at OT, DT, CB, WR, QB and LB.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
ROFL

Tim Grunhard was a 2nd rounder.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM

I already demonstrated why taking a TE would be a potentially smart move.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
exactly and IMO we could field the exact same D and not be in a real bad postion.

O-line has to be first priority. I don't care how they do it, draft (shallow? whatever) Trade - (Bell? Knight? draft picks) or FA - if there are any good ones that aren't over the hill.

Re build the O-line

If we take a 2nd-tier o-linemen and guys like Willis or Jarrett are available, it's a sure sign to me that this front office has zero clue...

Logical
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I already demonstrated why taking a TE would be a potentially smart move.

I read that later, though I just cannot see there being the talent differential needed to justify it. I think we need to pickup a real fullback in FA (should have never of let TRich go) and keep Bigfoot as a backup TE. As to Dunn I still think we had the right idea when we were going to use Turley to back him up, Turley will likely never stand up to the physical requirement of OT again.

Hammock Parties
01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
All this talk about a WR... We know herms plans, and thats to just run run run, so id go with offensive linemen or defensive tackle, because if we got a WR it'd be a wasted pick because of dumbass herm

Logical
01-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Tim Grunhard was a 2nd rounder.We did not trade down for Tim, I was talking about Carl's record on 2nd rounders he has traded for in the past in trade down scenarios. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Logical
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
All this talk about a WR... We know herms plans, and thats to just run run run, so id go with offensive linemen or defensive tackle, because if we got a WR it'd be a wasted pick because of dumbass herm

That is not the case, man here I go again defending Herm who I detest. Herm wants a simplified offense, that does not mean he does not want to throw the ball.

Hammock Parties
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM
That is not the case, man here I go again defending Herm who I detest. Herm wants a simplified offense, that does not mean he does not want to throw the ball.

I know I know... I just hate his philisophy towards the offense. but if we constantly have our quarterback scrambling, having a good WR wont help much at all.

Rausch
01-16-2007, 04:09 PM

SAFETY!

The 1991 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Charles Mincy
Washington
DB
Darrell Malone
Jacksonville State
DB
Bernard Ellison
Nevada
DB
Eric ey
DB

The 1992Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Dale Carter
Tennessee
DB
Corey Williams
Oklahoma State
DB

The 1993 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
No safeties! OMGWTF!1!

The 1994*Kansas City Chiefs Draft:*
Bracey Walker
North Carolina
DB
James Burton
Fresno State
DB

The 1995 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
NO safety drafted!

The 1996 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Jerome Woods
Memphis
DB
Reggie Tongue
Oregon State
DB
Darrell Williams
Tennessee State
DB

The 1997 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
No safeties again!

The 1998 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Robert Williams
North Carolina
DB
Eric Warfield
Nebraska
DB
The 1999 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Larry Atkins
UCLA
DB

The 2001 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Shaunard Harts
Boise State
DB

The 2002 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
[B]No safeties![B]

The 2003 Kansas City Chiefs Draft:
Julian Battle
Tennessee
DB
Willie Pile
Virginia Tech
DB

Soooooooo...considering most remember the last 3 years, and the two we added last year...we average about two safeties per draft!

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I read that later, though I just cannot see there being the talent differential needed to justify it. I think we need to pickup a real fullback in FA (should have never of let TRich go) and keep Bigfoot as a backup TE. As to Dunn I still think we had the right idea when we were going to use Turley to back him up, Turley will likely never stand up to the physical requirement of OT again.

Wilson is 6'2". I don't think he's ever going to be a real TE. When we drafted him, several of us thought he should be a FB/H-back. Lo and behold, when he was finally used there he started to produce.

Certainly if you're going to move Turley permanently to TE and replace Dunn, then you have some leverage, but Turley also had a major back injury.

TE is still a need, even if it's overshadowed by needs that are more pressing. But if I'm faced with drafting John McCargo (DT, taken 26th by Buffalo) or Marcedes Lewis (TE, taken 28th by Jacksonville), I'm taking Lewis. Having another athletic TE that's 6'6" takes a ton of pressure off of Gonzales.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I know I know... I just hate his philisophy towards the offense. but if we constantly have our quarterback scrambling, having a good WR wont help much at all.

Having a MEDIOCRE WR that can get ANY SEPARATION AT ALL would allow our QB to get rid of the ball QUICKER.

It's not all the offensive line.

Rausch
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Having a MEDIOCRE WR that can get ANY SEPARATION AT ALL would allow our QB to get rid of the ball QUICKER.

It's not all the offensive line.

Are you trying to insinuate that Hall and Parker can't get any seperation?

Pshaw...

Brock
01-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Sure, it's not like Herm had Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss, and Jerricho Cotchery on his team. Or is it?

Rausch
01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
...but if we constantly have our quarterback scrambling, having a good WR wont help much at all.

htismaqe
01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that Hall and Parker can't get any seperation?

Pshaw...

We know Parker can't get separation on any route that requires changing direction.

And trying to find Hall in a zone defense is like looking for your lawn gnome in prairie grass...

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
And trying to find Hall in a zone defense is like looking for your lawn gnome in prairie grass...

ROFL

Rausch
01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
We know Parker can't get separation on any route that requires changing direction.

Completely agree. We don't have anyone outside Gonzo who can go up and fight for the ball.

Wouldn't hurt to have a more physical WR to help block downfield either.

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Calling plays based on what talent we have is one approach. The quick slant with Huard seemed to work well. When receivers drop passes.... Well.... it's called the Chiefs in the playoffs.

"Hey, I thought we were running on that down!"

Chiefnj
01-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Completely agree. We don't have anyone outside Gonzo who can go up and fight for the ball.

Looks like Gardner should have been given some more playing time.

NaptownChief
01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Pretty good draft for grabbing a WR. 6 quality WR's came out early and mix them in with Samardzija and Bowe from LSU and that has the makings of getting a very good WR in the 1st or 2nd round and to be honest I would have zero problem with taking one in both rounds.

Calvin Johnson is out of play without a trade up but after him I really like Jarrett, Sidney Rice, Robert Meachem, and Samardzija a bunch. One of those four is not a couple of them will likely be on the board when the Chiefs pick. And Bowe certainly isn't anything to sneeze at as he is a big kid with good speed and solid hands. Rice has a ton of upside and while his numbers were still very good they were below his ability because the cocks didn't have much in the way of a QB and then never settled on just one.

Rausch
01-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Looks like Gardner should have been given some more playing time.

With Marvin Harrison on the other side of EK how could he?

:rolleyes:

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Rice would make a good pick.

Halfcan
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Carl will pick a running back.

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
I would also pick a low risk FA or two. I would love to see Justin Gage at Arrowhead next season. He is big and strong - has local ties and is low risk. He might be a good cheap alternative.

I said something about this during the Bears Game last weekend.

And I thought no one was listening to me.

We wasn't even active, and I was wondering what happened to him, he had two pretty good years and seemed to be ascending...

Even for what I saw last year, he's a step up from Dante as our third if not over Sammie as our second.

Archie Bunker
01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I said something about this during the Bears Game last weekend.

And I thought no one was listening to me.

We wasn't even active, and I was wondering what happened to him, he had two pretty good years and seemed to be ascending...

Even for what I saw last year, he's a step up from Dante as our third if not over Sammie as our second.

As a MU fan it pains me to say this but Gage just isn't good enough to be more than a 4th WR. He could fill the Gardner role but that's about it.

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
If we take a 2nd-tier o-linemen and guys like Willis or Jarrett are available, it's a sure sign to me that this front office has zero clue...

Oh, don't misunderstand, I believe closer to the best available than I do picking need, but I also wouldn't say we should take any RB, DE, or TE, if there is a real good pick available, and we don't really need that position, trade down even.

I don't mind making the first rounder a WR either, I'm only saying we really need to get some attention to the OL, or else we are F*CKED.

Trade UP to get a top tier OL if one will not last that long, if the class is really that shallow, then make some other moves (trade, FA) and draft to fill in the holes from making those moves.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
In which case you are losing to much on the talent front, third rounders are true crapshoots.

Third rounders are not crapshoots. Seventh Rounders are crap shoots. You build the core of championship teams in rounds 2-5 of the draft.

You reach for an LT with a pick in round one, I'll trade down, take the BPA (who will probably be every bit as good as your choice, 15 picks later, with an extra pick to be) with both of my picks, and field the better team.

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM

since wilson is tall, could he motion out and run a route with a favored matchup? He can block from there too for stretch plays. Takes a regular set and suddenly makes it a three WR set.

Or if we went two tight end set, D would have to think run up the middle, but BigFoot motions out to be a second WR, great matchups and again if we stretched....

at the very least it would take another LB out of the box for LJ.

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Third rounders are not crapshoots. Seventh Rounders are crap shoots. You build the core of championship teams in rounds 2-5 of the draft.

You reach for an LT with a pick in round one, I'll trade down, take the BPA (who will probably be every bit as good as your choice, 15 picks later, with an extra pick to be) with both of my picks, and field the better team.

The first and last rounds are crapshoots.

It's been commented how frugal NE is with their payroll. How do they pay their first pick? Amnorix and other in-the-know NE guys, what do you think?

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
As a MU fan it pains me to say this but Gage just isn't good enough to be more than a 4th WR. He could fill the Gardner role but that's about it.

Really, I don't know, I was just asking. I really thought last year and the year before that he was running the routes pretty well and making some good catches. (again I dont' know I didnt' watch all the bear games)

KurtCobain
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Carl will pick a running back.

Or a shitty QB. "I have listened to the people! With the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2007 NFL draft, the KC chiefs select Quarterback Troy Smith, Ohio St."

Then Herm'll line him up as LT.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
If we draft troy smith, I will let someone put on that knife-tipped codpiece from "Seven" and **** me to death with it.

FAX
01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
If we draft troy smith, I will let someone put on that knife-tipped codpiece from "Seven" and **** me to death with it.

Is temptation a sin, Mr. 'Hummus' Jenkins?

FAX

NaptownChief
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM

Not even the media's gigantic love affair with that kid will get him drafted before the 3rd round. He had a good year and deserved some recognition but him being anointed the hands down Heisman winner by midseason was a joke. He finished 32nd in the country in passing. 32nd and yet a complete slam dunk winner. What a joke. I'm not even going to argue and say that he definitely shouldn't have been the winner. I don't even have a problem with him winning, just the fact that it was a complete blowout...and that was because the media had an agenda long before it was ever earned on the field.

Extra Point
01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Is temptation a sin, Mr. 'Hummus' Jenkins?

FAX

Only if you want to wear the codpiece!

Logical
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM

I have seen too many Carl drafts to agree with you. You planning on him being replaced or something. Otherwise you are just fantasizing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I have seen too many Carl drafts to agree with you. You planning on him being replaced or something. Otherwise you are just fantasizing.

I think Kuharich and Herm have a good deal of draft input these days. I trust both as talent evaluators.

NaptownChief
01-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I think Kuharich and Herm have a good deal of draft input these days. I trust both as talent evaluators.

Well that all depends...If it turns out to be a good draft then GoChiefs will say that Peterson gave Herm complete control...If it stinks like most Chief drafts then GoChiefs will assert that it was all Peterson.

Calcountry
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
it would give us decent passing plays.A good OT will get marginal receivers open with the extra second and a half protection they provide.

NaptownChief
01-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I really like Anthony Gonzalez from OSU...Fast, quick, good hands and extremely smart....He could get pushed into the 2nd round because so many solid WR's in this draft...I think that would be a huge bargain.

Tribal Warfare
01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
If your the Chiefs, do you go WR in round 1

BPA- probably either Jarrett or Okoye

ChiefsLV
01-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Whoever we get, judging from last year, I'm pretty confident we will get the best player available. It's obvious that Herm Edwards has a big impact on the draft looking at the quality of the picks last year compared to previous years. I'm freaking stoked about finally being able to get some decent talent out of the draft after all these years. Bring it on!

RedThat
01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Im laughing when I hear this, rebuild the O-line.

The O-line is fine. You know what the problem is?

The Chiefs offense is too predictable. It lacks creativity, and is less innovative. They brought a very UNPREPARED, and DUMB offensive game plan against Indy in the playoffs.

Sure your O line is gonna look like crap because your offense is too predictable. What do you expect when Indy lines up 9 guys in the box, and we're using 5 guys to block and asking LJ to continually run the ball?
Thats asking to get stuffed. I think a lot of it has to do with our stupid offensive philosophy of run, run, run...I just hate it. It's stupid. Im not blaming the guys on the O-line. I think all those guys are good players. Im blaming the coaching, and the stupid philosophy we have, and not being more selective and creative in your playcalling.

*Remember, these are the same guys that blocked for us when we had prolific, and effectives offenses under Vermeil. Well with the exception of losing Roaf. But it's practically the same crew.

*The Bottomline line is, we not running a smart offense right now. And thats not the O lines fault. Thats coaching.

ChiefFan31
01-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Im laughing when I hear this, rebuild the O-line.

The O-line is fine. You know what the problem is?

The Chiefs offense is too predictable. It lacks creativity, and is less innovative. They brought a very UNPREPARED, and DUMB offensive game plan against Indy in the playoffs.

Sure your O line is gonna look like crap because your offense is too predictable. What do you expect when Indy lines up 9 guys in the box, and we're using 5 guys to block and asking LJ to continually run the ball?
Thats asking to get stuffed. I think a lot of it has to do with our stupid offensive philosophy of run, run, run...I just hate it. It's stupid. Im not blaming the guys on the O-line. I think all those guys are good players. Im blaming the coaching, and the stupid philosophy we have, and not being more selective and creative in your playcalling.

*Remember, these are the same guys that blocked for us when we had prolific, and effectives offenses under Vermeil. Well with the exception of losing Roaf. But it's practically the same crew.

*The Bottomline line is, we not running a smart offense right now. And thats not the O lines fault. Thats coaching.

You hit on some good points and I agree with most of them, but the statement that the O line is fine is laughable.

LT - We don't have one. Jordan Black did play better this year and did exceed my low expectations of him, but just look at how bad he got exposed in the Colts game. He is just not our future here. Plus, if I was Jordan Black I would want outta here (I do believe he is a UFA). We have done nothing but shuffle him around. I don't see why we could just expect him to step in at RG after Shields retires either. Svitek is still a project, although the Chiefs have high hopes for him as do I.

LG - Brian Waters is good player and a sorely needed team leader and a guy who will stand up to people in game. His play slipped, but it really showed him not having Big Willie to his left. Amazing how much better you can be when you never have to worry about helping out the left side. Regardless, we are still set at that spot for years to come IMO.

C - Casey Wigeman is a good center, but is best suited for the scheme we ran with Al and Priest. He is undersized for the kind of game Herm wants to run.

RG - I really don't see why Will Shields would come back.

RT - Who do we have here? Terry is a project, and Sampson gets hurt rising out of bed. Welbourne is outmatched. My hope is that he juices up again and moves over to RG, but that is more stopgap IMO. Turley has no business being a Chief in 07. Bober is an emergency player at best. I would really like to see two young OL from the draft help solidify and remove some dead weight at the O line position.

That being said, We still should not reach even though we need OT and DT help badly.

Anyong Bluth
01-17-2007, 05:02 AM

Agreed!

Face it, this year's draft has sh1t for OT or DT. We can piss and moan about how they should get this or that, but unless they are going to move up there won't be anyone of 1st round value at those positions.

I wouldn't normally take a WR in the 1st, but that's b/c I think with the NFL's rules these days, finding a guy that is servicable and can get seperation can be found in later picks. That said, I would love to see them pick up Jarrett. I like his play, his size, his aggression, and passion to play and prove himself. He's the only USC WR I've been impressed with as far back as I can think to even Keyshawn days. (I'm sure I'm missing someone, and no doubt some prick will point it out!)

As far as the rest of the draft, I would look to OLB, MLB, TE, DB and of course follow the only damn rule of thumb that makes sense when you have to field a squad of 53 guys under a salary cap.... PICK THE GD MOST TALENTED PLAYER ON THE BOARD. YOU MAY NOT FILL NEEDS AT FIRST BUT YOU WILL BUILD A SQUAD- AND IT WILL BE CAP MANAGABLE.

Spend your FA Money on 1: resign Huard; 2: try to sign Kawika or move MLB up to heavy need by FA or draft. 3: grab a FA DT and OT

Based upon the skill of the player between DT and OT determine which you place your premium signing bonus money on. I know DT's are a huge wash in FA pickups, but hell I've watched Ted F'n Washington, Keith Traylor, Sam Adams have their own Amazing Race to see who can suit up for all 32 teams first.

Cut Wesley and/or Knight or ask them to restructure- (can't decide if i want the smarter player thats old in the tooth or the younger player that has a gerbil on a wheel for a brain. Too bad the gerbil died after his rookie year. Unless you want to try one of Paige/Pollard at OLB and send Bell on his way- which I'm all for upgrading but I realize he redid his contract to its pretty peanuts I think now.

Turley comes cheap and Dunn should be back and fine for a few more seasons. Ronnie Cruz is back and I didn't get to see enough of him, but I really liked what I saw out of Bigfoot from the FB position- great hands, solid blocking that can be improved, can be used in motion and is quick.

The team doesn't have a billion holes- they have two major holes b/c they are at DT and OT, and as anyone knows the game is ultimately won at the line- just ask Ray "they double teamin' me everytime [stab][stab]" Lewis. The answer still is not to bloat cap money on a project guy to band aid the situation only to need to repeat the same damn pick again.

Think of it this way, you pick up the better athlete at say... WR. Our OT get passed by faster than Miss USA walking the Streets of San Fran and our DT get gashed so many times they start looking like a porn star with a bleeding hatchet wound. End result: you have young guys getting a year under their belt and maybe our record suffers... which... wait for it........ wait for it..... garners you a higher draft so maybe next year when there will hopefully be a better crop of "need" players we can pick up one of them.

P.S. Samarjidadinayasaha is not a 1st rounder- I wouldn't waste a pick on him before the 6th. Dudes already been drafted by the Cubs and will be looking to make more coin and have a longer career in Major League Whiffleball.

keg in kc
01-17-2007, 06:38 AM
WR would be great if we had a line that could pass protect and a QB that could consistently deliver the ball.

King_Chief_Fan
01-17-2007, 07:23 AM
WR would be great if we had a line that could pass protect and a QB that could consistently deliver the ball.

I agree. I think we get those two positions first then worry about WR.

NaptownChief
01-17-2007, 07:50 AM

Chicken or the egg? More time helps WR's get open but better WR's get open quicker than crappy ones thus if your O Line doesn't give a lot of time then to have any chance at a passing game you need good WR's that get open quickly and can make plays in traffic.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 08:26 AM

I'll take it a step further,

If we draft Troy Smith I will convert to the Raiders and still post on here 50 plus a day, sharing my love for al davis and Randy Moss. Then I will stay logged on while you all rip me three new anal sphincters.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 08:28 AM
I can't wait to see what this place is like during draft week and on draft day. LMAO

NY CHIEF
01-17-2007, 08:53 AM
4th tight end :banghead:

keg in kc
01-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Chicken or the egg? More time helps WR's get open but better WR's get open quicker than crappy ones thus if your O Line doesn't give a lot of time then to have any chance at a passing game you need good WR's that get open quickly and can make plays in traffic.Chicken or egg with QB and WR, maybe. Not so much with o-line. We need a LT, we need a RT, our LG is either done or close to it and our C is 34 in July. Even Waters is 30 in 07. I think that was the real weakspot this year, and it's only going to get worse.

What we're seeing is the end result of all those failed defensive picks from about 98 to the present. Nothing much in place on the offensive side of the ball except of course for LJ. I think we can (fingers crossed) count on one or two of the low-round picks on the line to come through, but we need at least a good LT if we can't field a franchise one.

As for WR, we need one of those, too. In the perfect world, what happens is that we find linemen in free agency, acquire the WR on the first day of the draft.

Pretty obvious the focus of the team is shifting to defense, and we need a DT, so if we go that on day one, I won't mind. We need one in the worst way. After that, we've got to start stocking on offense, for now and for the future.

For crissakes, just make sure the pendulum doesn't just flip back to all D no O. It's like we never learn...

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
The way it is shaping up right now, when the Chiefs pick the best value players will probably not be the biggest need players - no DT or OT. It'll likely be a WR, LB or even a guard like Blalock.

IMO, this is a year that the Chiefs are going to have to hit on the 2nd and 3rd round picks; even doing a better job than last year because they need guys that will play in 2007.

Redrum_69
01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
We dont need a wide receiver...we have samie parker

we need another quarterback and a kicker though

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NJ Chief Fan
01-17-2007, 09:33 AM
It just came to my head,if Dwayne Jarrett is available at our pick, we must choose him. If that other WR from South Carolina is available, and Jarrett isnt, I'm not sure we should go the WR route.

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2007, 10:40 AM
The way it is shaping up right now, when the Chiefs pick the best value players will probably not be the biggest need players - no DT or OT. It'll likely be a WR, LB or even a guard like Blalock.

If KC goes for Guard I think it would be through FA specifically Leonard Davis

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 10:56 AM
If KC goes for Guard I think it would be through FA specifically Leonard Davis

Someone will give Davis money to play tackle; hopefully it won't be KC.

Blalock seems like a perfect match for Herm. Herm's own words were that they needed lineman to blow the other people off the line. Blalock can do that.

FringeNC
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Not even the media's gigantic love affair with that kid will get him drafted before the 3rd round. He had a good year and deserved some recognition but him being anointed the hands down Heisman winner by midseason was a joke. He finished 32nd in the country in passing. 32nd and yet a complete slam dunk winner. What a joke. I'm not even going to argue and say that he definitely shouldn't have been the winner. I don't even have a problem with him winning, just the fact that it was a complete blowout...and that was because the media had an agenda long before it was ever earned on the field.

Wasn't he talked about as a potential first selection in the entire draft not too long ago? And now they are talking up this Jamarcus Russell as the top pick. How can you pick someone that raw at QB with the number one pick? It'd be on thing if you had rights to him for his whole career, but with free-agency, he'd be on the open market about the time that he is good.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
We need to get an OT. We need to get younger on the O-line. This draft is deep at WR and the only way they should go after a WR is if he is a sure starter. Someone like Ginn or Jarret.

Easy 6
01-17-2007, 11:22 AM
NO.

DT.

OT.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
You can get a DT in a later round. All they do is stand there so people can go around them. Like Ted Washington does. We need a young OT so we can get younger on that line. Did you watch the Indy game?

Mr. Laz
01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
You can get a DT in a later round.

so then why have we been struggling to find a quality DT for the last 8 years?

nychief
01-17-2007, 11:47 AM

He had 31 catches in 2005 - i just thought he might be a low risk/ high reward guy.

Archie Bunker
01-17-2007, 01:09 PM
He had 31 catches in 2005 - i just thought he might be a low risk/ high reward guy.

I would have no problems bringing him. Local guy, low cost but my expectations would be low.

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I think the Chiefs need to upgrade the WR coaching position. No young talent has emerged over the last several years. Players seem to have lots of problems getting open and catching balls.

That's where I'd start when it comes to receivers.

Archie Bunker
01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I think the Chiefs need to upgrade the WR coaching position. No young talent has emerged over the last several years. Players seem to have lots of problems getting open and catching balls.

That's where I'd start when it comes to receivers.

Good point. IMO Parker has the skills but is either uncoachable or has had bad coaching.

With Herm being high on Webb and Hannon plus new WRs probably coming in, the Chiefs need to look long and hard at the job Joiner has done.

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Good point. IMO Parker has the skills but is either uncoachable or has had bad coaching.

With Herm being high on Webb and Hannon plus new WRs probably coming in, the Chiefs need to look long and hard at the job Joiner has done.

I'm still surprised the coaches couldn't get Gardner involved in the offense a little. When the OL was struggling, they had a bigger, physical receiver on the team that they failed to try to use.

Herm also said that Webb is going to get playing time in 2007. Why couldn't he get more time and balls in 2006? It's not like Parker and Hall were doing much. Why wait a year?

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm still surprised the coaches couldn't get Gardner involved in the offense a little. When the OL was struggling, they had a bigger, physical receiver on the team that they failed to try to use.

Herm also said that Webb is going to get playing time in 2007. Why couldn't he get more time and balls in 2006? It's not like Parker and Hall were doing much. Why wait a year?

dammit carl!

Archie Bunker
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM

I agree with you about Gardner. When the Chiefs signed him I expected him to eventually be the #2 with Parker sliding to the slot and Hall getting the hell off the field. It never happened. I know Gardner has bounced around but I was surprised to see him not play more than he did. A big target would have helped.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Oh, don't misunderstand, I believe closer to the best available than I do picking need, but I also wouldn't say we should take any RB, DE, or TE, if there is a real good pick available, and we don't really need that position, trade down even.

I don't mind making the first rounder a WR either, I'm only saying we really need to get some attention to the OL, or else we are F*CKED.

Trade UP to get a top tier OL if one will not last that long, if the class is really that shallow, then make some other moves (trade, FA) and draft to fill in the holes from making those moves.

We have a need, albeit much smaller, at both TE and DE.

jAZ
01-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Taking a borderline player with a first round pick is insanity. Feeling you need a particular position filled is a bad mindset to go into a draft with, unless you've got a top 10 pick.
Your point is fair, but there will be probably 5, 10 or more OL guys taken in this draft who will be starting in the NFL their rookie year. We only need 1 of them with our 1st pick. If we scout the players right, there will be a OT there in the late 1st-round that can be our starter for a decade. That guy is in every draft. We just need to be the ones to find him and pick him.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Your point is fair, but there will be probably 5, 10 or more OL guys taken in this draft who will be starting in the NFL their rookie year. We only need 1 of them with our 1st pick. If we scout the players right, there will be a OT there in the late 1st-round that can be our starter for a decade. That guy is in every draft. We just need to be the ones to find him and pick him.

Let me correct the sentence in bold:

We only need 1 of them - period.

There will be 5-10 guys starting next year, and only 2 or 3 of them will actually be 1st rounders.

If we REALLY play our cards right, we'll draft the guy you're talking about in the SECOND or even THIRD round and walk out of this draft with starters at MULTIPLE POSITIONS.

Pick a guy based on need when you could pick him later in the draft is just dumb.

Mecca
01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Let me correct the sentence in bold:

We only need 1 of them - period.

There will be 5-10 guys starting next year, and only 2 or 3 of them will actually be 1st rounders.

If we REALLY play our cards right, we'll draft the guy you're talking about in the SECOND or even THIRD round and walk out of this draft with starters at MULTIPLE POSITIONS.

Pick a guy based on need when you could pick him later in the draft is just dumb.

Stuff like this is why I use to cringe when Vermiel would say things like 'If we knew Jared Allen was that good we'd have picked him with our first"

It's like you dumb shit you don't understand value do you? I sure hope that was just Vermiel and not the Chiefs as a whole....

dtebbe
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Yea, that works great... just ask the Lions. We need O-line, then O-line, then O-line. I think free agency is the best way to go on WR. Let someone else take the chances on the 1st and 2nd round WR busts.

DT

Extra Point
01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Was Big Willie a multiple position guy? But then again, we picked up a discard with him, didn't we? As much bad blood there is between Tait and CP, I'd like to see Tait back here for another few years.

duncan_idaho
01-17-2007, 08:35 PM
This WR draft is so deep... and the OT and DT positions are so thin... I think WR in the first round, with DT and OT in the second and third rounds, is the way to go.

Especially is someone like Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn is sitting there at 23. If Dwaye Bowe is the best guy available, they might be able to trade down a few spots, add a 3rd or 4th rounder, and still get their guy.

Mecca
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Yea, that works great... just ask the Lions. We need O-line, then O-line, then O-line. I think free agency is the best way to go on WR. Let someone else take the chances on the 1st and 2nd round WR busts.

DT

Give me a top flight WR that wasn't drafted by the team he's on.......

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Give me a top flight WR that wasn't drafted by the team he's on.......

Cris Carter, Irving Friar, T.O., Randy Moss.

Brock
01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Cris Carter, Irving Friar, T.O., Randy Moss.

Terry Glenn, Dante Stallworth, Javon Walker, Deion Branch, etc., etc.

Mecca
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Ok some of those guys have "extenuating circumstances" and I wasn't counting people who don't play anymore.

I don't consider Glenn, Stallworth or Branch elite WR's either.

Most elite WR's won't get into the market unless they have issues like Owens or Moss.

Anyong Bluth
01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
uh we had Joe Horn... he turned out pretty good

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-18-2007, 12:09 AM
uh we had Joe Horn... he turned out pretty good

Once he left.

Extra Point
01-18-2007, 12:09 AM
The staff didn't know what to do with Horn here.

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Horn never got to see the field hardly and when he did he had more than his share of plays he made vs plays he actually got in on

RedThat
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
You hit on some good points and I agree with most of them, but the statement that the O line is fine is laughable.

LT - We don't have one. Jordan Black did play better this year and did exceed my low expectations of him, but just look at how bad he got exposed in the Colts game. He is just not our future here. Plus, if I was Jordan Black I would want outta here (I do believe he is a UFA). We have done nothing but shuffle him around. I don't see why we could just expect him to step in at RG after Shields retires either. Svitek is still a project, although the Chiefs have high hopes for him as do I.

LG - Brian Waters is good player and a sorely needed team leader and a guy who will stand up to people in game. His play slipped, but it really showed him not having Big Willie to his left. Amazing how much better you can be when you never have to worry about helping out the left side. Regardless, we are still set at that spot for years to come IMO.

C - Casey Wigeman is a good center, but is best suited for the scheme we ran with Al and Priest. He is undersized for the kind of game Herm wants to run.

RG - I really don't see why Will Shields would come back.

RT - Who do we have here? Terry is a project, and Sampson gets hurt rising out of bed. Welbourne is outmatched. My hope is that he juices up again and moves over to RG, but that is more stopgap IMO. Turley has no business being a Chief in 07. Bober is an emergency player at best. I would really like to see two young OL from the draft help solidify and remove some dead weight at the O line position.

That being said, We still should not reach even though we need OT and DT help badly.

LT-I thought Jordan Black did an ok job this year. Considering this is really his 1st full year playing at LT. I still think he is in a learning process at that position. But I think he showed that he is definately athletic enough to play tackle. He needs to work on his technique a bit more. But Freeney is Freeney. I dont expect Black to dominate him the way Roaf did. And also not having Jason Dunn by his side hurt too....lol...their arent too many tackles that can block Freeney 1 on 1. And I dont expect a guy like Black too either. Especially since it's really his 1st year playing tackle. Who knows? He might get better? Id give him a chance.

LG-Waters is a stud. That position is locked down for years.

C-I agree with you on Wiegman. Definately better suited in DV offense than Herms.

RG-Even if Shields retires, Welbourne can play the position as he did in philly.

RT-Terry did show some signs he could play. He was solid in both Carolina and Seattle. I think he can start. Sampson, your right, he does get hurt a lot. Hopefully things can change there? Id like to see some competition between Terry and Sampson. Either way, I think both those guys are good football players. They have shown potential that they can play. They're probably our best bet to see what we have at the RT position. Your definately right about Turley. And I think Bober should be gone as well.

*So if worst comes to worst. Our line could look like this:

LT-Black
LG-Waters
C-Wiegman
RG-Welbourne
RT-Terry

*Not great, not bad, but not terrible either. The tackles are questionable, but the middle is still pretty stout. I agree we should not reach because I think the talent for offensive tackles in this years draft are thin. And the best ones will probably be gone by the time we draft. Is OL really a position of need? I would say, so so...50/50...we have other areas on our team that lack much more talent than OL. If we can address other positions on our team, and the best player comes along and its not an OL, you take that best player.

Chief Roundup
01-18-2007, 02:45 AM
LT-I thought Jordan Black did an ok job this year. Considering this is really his 1st full year playing at LT. I still think he is in a learning process at that position. But I think he showed that he is definately athletic enough to play tackle. He needs to work on his technique a bit more. But Freeney is Freeney. I dont expect Black to dominate him the way Roaf did. And also not having Jason Dunn by his side hurt too....lol...their arent too many tackles that can block Freeney 1 on 1. And I dont expect a guy like Black too either. Especially since it's really his 1st year playing tackle. Who knows? He might get better? Id give him a chance.
So you think we should resign Jordan Black then?
The only way I want him resigned is for guard his original position.

RedThat
01-18-2007, 02:48 AM
So you think we should resign Jordan Black then?
The only way I want him resigned is for guard his original position.

Sure why not? Unless there is someone out better that can play the LT position better than he can? Is there really anyone out there that can play the position?

J Diddy
01-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Sure why not? Unless there is someone out better that can play the LT position better than he can? Is there really anyone out there that can play the position?

leonard davis

RedThat
01-18-2007, 02:55 AM
leonard davis

Not too crazy about him. I think he'd be a good replacement for Shields. If Shields retires.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-18-2007, 03:17 AM

The last time we checked, and GoChiefs can verify this, there are 31 other LTs who played the position better than Black.

He led the f*cking NFL in sacks allowed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-18-2007, 03:18 AM
leonard davis

Why anyone would want this fat f#ck on our o-line is beyond me. He's a 380 pound sack of shit with no drive, a limited skill set, and no athleticism.

Hammock Parties
01-18-2007, 04:05 AM
I thought Jordan Black did an ok job this year.

:shake:

:clap:

Smed1065
01-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Then WILL SVITEK?

I know Europe and injuries but surely he could rank #32 if nothing else. I know little about him though. Seems to have the size and athletic abilities. An in house LT would make this year a lot better, already on the roster and I know he was a converted which usually sucks for the Chiefs but would fill one need 1 hope on the OL.

The chargers were lucky with their rookie LT this year and we need some luck.

Brock
01-18-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't consider Glenn, Stallworth or Branch elite WR's either.

Of course you don't. It doesn't fit your argument.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Of course you don't. It doesn't fit your argument.

Have to side with Mecca here. They're not elite WR's.

And neither are TO or Moss, not anymore.

If you want an elite WR that isn't gonna come with either injury history or tons of personal baggage, you have to draft one. Plain and simple.

Brock
01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
If you want an elite WR that isn't gonna come with either injury history or tons of personal baggage, you have to draft one. Plain and simple.

Assuming there is such a thing anymore.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Assuming there is such a thing anymore.

Here's your list of receiving leaders for 2006, by number of receptions:

Andre Johnson
Mike Furrey
Marvin Harrison
Torry Holt
Donald Driver
Laveranues Coles
TJ Houshmandsadeh
Steven Jackson
Kellen Winslow
Reggie Bush
Chad Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Terrell Owens
Anquan Boldin
Steve Smith

Of that list of 15, two were RB's both draft by the team they play for in the 1st round, and 1 is a TE, again a 1st-rounder playing for the team that drafted him.

That leaves 12. IIRC, only Driver, Coles, and Owens are playing for a team that didn't draft them. And only Housh, Furrey, and Smith were drafted outside of the first 2 rounds.

NJ Chief Fan
01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Here's your list of receiving leaders for 2006, by number of receptions:

Andre Johnson
Mike Furrey
Marvin Harrison
Torry Holt
Donald Driver
Laveranues Coles
TJ Houshmandsadeh
Steven Jackson
Kellen Winslow
Reggie Bush
Chad Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Terrell Owens
Anquan Boldin
Steve Smith

Of that list of 15, two were RB's both draft by the team they play for in the 1st round, and 1 is a TE, again a 1st-rounder playing for the team that drafted him.

That leaves 12. IIRC, only Driver, Coles, and Owens are playing for a team that didn't draft them. And only Housh, Furrey, and Smith were drafted outside of the first 2 rounds.

Coles is playing for the team that drafted him, as well as Driver(if he was drafted at all).

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Coles is playing for the team that drafted him, as well as Driver(if he was drafted at all).

I didn't count them because they have changed teams at least once.

NJ Chief Fan
01-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I didn't count them because they have changed teams at least once.

Driver has been with the Packers since 99, which was his rookie season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133276

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Driver has been with the Packers since 99, which was his rookie season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133276

So my memory is a little fuzzy.

It really doesn't matter, because if anything it STRENGTHENS Mecca's argument.

NJ Chief Fan
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
So my memory is a little fuzzy.

It really doesn't matter, because if anything it STRENGTHENS Mecca's argument.

Your right, thats why we should draft Dwayne!

RedThat
01-18-2007, 01:26 PM
The last time we checked, and GoChiefs can verify this, there are 31 other LTs who played the position better than Black.

Remember also, he had that 1 TERRIBLE game against Cincy. where he allowed something like 4.5 sacks. And he was playing RT, not LT.

If you disclude that game, his numbers wouldn't look so bad.
He probably wouldn't be up there in most sacks allowed.