PDA

View Full Version : FA who could help the Chiefs

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Five free agents who can help Kansas City in 2007
By C.E. (one who sucks the penis) Wendler on January 17, 2007 12:35 AM
Permalink (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/chiefs-five-freeagents170107.html) | Comments (0) (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/chiefs-five-freeagents170107.html#comments) | RSS (http://chiefs.realfootball365.com/rss.xml) | [+] More Chiefs News (http://chiefs.realfootball365.com/)The Kansas City Chiefs (http://chiefs.realfootball365.com/) ' embarrassing 23-8 loss to the Indianapolis Colts (http://colts.realfootball365.com/) in the wild-card round of the postseason was a sign that an aging offense needs a major overhaul. But the Chiefs are far from a complete team on defense, either. While head coach Herm Edwards already has the youth movement underway, he will undoubtedly look to free agency to plug some holes, as he did a year ago in signing cornerback Ty Law.
Here are five players who would fit nicely in Kansas City next season and might be available in free agency:
1. WR Drew Bennett - 2006 stats - 46 receptions, 737 yards, three touchdowns
Bennett enjoyed a career year in 2004 (1,247 yards, 11 touchdowns), but has dropped off since. Part of that can be attributed to poor quarterback play, but it's unlikely the Titans will break the bank to retain him. If he ends up testing the market, the Chiefs will be forced to take a long, hard look at Bennett. Neither of their starting wide receivers (Samie Parker, Eddie Kennison) caught a ball in the playoff loss. Kennison is 34 and Parker has proven only one thing in two years as a starter - he's not cut out to be one. Bennett would fit in with Edwards' preference for taller wide receivers and would take a ton of heat off tight end Tony Gonzalez in the passing game, not to mention opening things up for Larry Johnson.
2. OT Leonard Davis
Davis is on his way out of Arizona, and the Cardinals aren't likely to throw much money at him as a starting left tackle. Someone in free agency will give him that money, but perhaps not as a blindside protector. It's been suggested that Davis is better suited to play guard, and the Chiefs will certainly need one with the likely retirement of 12-time Pro Bowler Will Shields. The massive 370-pound Davis surely would have made a difference against the Colts. In Kansas City, he'd team with Pro Bowl left guard Brian Waters to form one of the most dominant guard tandems in the NFL. The Chiefs ran to the right with minimal success this past year (Johnson averaged only 2.5 yards per carry to the right, compared to 4.2 on the left), so Davis is also an ideal candidate to fix that problem.
3. DT Cory Redding - 2006 stats - 47 tackles, eight sacks
The Chiefs' major weakness on defense was at defensive tackle, where every player at that position combined for just 3½ sacks. In a Cover Two scheme such as the one Edwards prefers to run, that's just not going to produce good results. The Chiefs will surely be looking to upgrade the position this offseason and Redding in Kansas City would be a match made in heaven. He's young (26) has a high motor (47 tackles), is a force inside (eight sacks, 6.5 tackles for loss) and at 6-foot-4, 290 pounds is the ideal Cover Two defensive tackle. When you consider that Redding was playing on a pathetic Detroit defensive line with no other dominant presence, his numbers look even better.
4. OLB Lance Briggs - 2006 stats - 130 tackles, one sack, two interceptions
Other than defensive tackle, the glaring hole in Kansas City's defense is outside linebacker. Kendrell Bell has been a complete bust and probably won't be back in 2007. Briggs would slot wonderfully in Kansas City's linebacking corps and form a fantastic team with Derrick Johnson at outside LB. The question for the Chiefs is whether they want to spend that kind of money. Briggs is easily the top free agent linebacker and isn't exactly the star attraction on Chicago's defense.
5. DE Dewayne White - 2006 stats - 43 tackles, five sacks
The Chiefs are in better shape at this position than they have been in years with Tamba Hali and Jared Allen, but because of a DUI, Allen will likely be facing a four-game suspension to start the 2007 season. The Chiefs will need someone to fill in, and their depth at defensive end is awful. Jimmy Wilkerson has played outside at times but seems to have found a home in KC's defense as a defensive tackle. The Chiefs need a depth player, and White nicely fits the bill. He won't come too expensive, but still has plenty of experience in a Cover Two defense, playing in 60 games as the weakside end for the Buccaneers over the last four seasons, starting the final eight in 2007. He's also young and flashed playmaking ability (three forced fumbles, 5.5 tackles for loss) last year.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/chiefs-five-freeagents170107.html

Time to discuss:

how much D*ck do you think the author sucks daily????

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I never looked at realfootball365 before, it's linked to the planet home page, so it can't be all bad.

Anyway, time to discuss this article, think he's on point, or stupid?

I disagree with WR, there is much depth there in the draft, plus Bennet never really impressed me that much and seems to be descending. If he was cheap, maybe he's an upgrade to samie, but I'm just not so sure we couldn't upgrade from sammie in the draft.

OT and DT, sounds good,

OLB, toss up, Fox is ascending, if he stays healthy, could be fine, maybe draft could help in depth there too. Besides, I really am skeptical about another high price FA signing at LB after Bell anyway. I thought we did good then, like many of us. Clearly, we all were wrong. we don't have the money to go after him anyway, so I think it's a mute point.

As far as DE, I don't know this guy, I agree I'm concerned about allen's suspension, but....if he's an ascending player I see trouble ahead. We may need to bite the bullet and just let Hicks fill in and hope to get his best games from him (he should be well rested now anyway)

OK, those are my opinions.

CosmicPal
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Redding would be a sweet addition.

Briggs would be a certain upgrade over Bell

and getting Leonard Davis would help the OL.

Bennett doesn't do anything for me, nor does White.

I'd be fuggen elated if we were to score Redding, Briggs, and Davis. That would be sweet.

tyton75
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I think if we were going to go after only one of those guys.. we would be forced to go after Leonard Davis... we are fooked on the Oline right now; especially if Shields is leaving

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Redding would be a sweet addition.

Briggs would be a certain upgrade over Bell

and getting Leonard Davis would help the OL.

Bennett doesn't do anything for me, nor does White.

I'd be fuggen elated if we were to score Redding, Briggs, and Davis. That would be sweet.

we'd probably have to not extend Law and put a young CB in his place, to keep cap room, for resigning LJ and Allen.....

But I'm with you, anyway.

Donger
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
I never looked at realfootball365 before, it's linked to the planet home page, so it can't be all bad.

ROFL

Lono
01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree Davis, Redding and Briggs would be one hell of an offseason in itself. Reciever needs to be looked at in the draft in my opinion. Id love to see us get Rice or Jarrett. Briggs is a freaking stud. Our LB corps would be pretty solidified with him.

JBucc
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I've never heard of Redding before but he sounds like a must get guy for us.

Kerberos
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Five free agents who can help Kansas City in 2007
By C.E. Wendler

Who in the BLUE F*** is this C.E. Wendler character?

CosmicPal
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
we'd probably have to not extend Law and put a young CB in his place, to keep cap room, for resigning LJ and Allen.....

But I'm with you, anyway.

Disagree...I think this off-season, you will see a ton of people let go and some will retire. We should have a additional cap space. I do agree with Law- I'd be all over putting a youngster in his place, but I think he might have year left.

Allen's DUI hurt his case for major, major money. And unfortunately, that just might end up being a bidding war. I don't expect Allen to be signed before training camp.

Davis is a must. But, Briggs and Redding can both be had as well.

kcxiv
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I like Bennet i think he would be good for what Herm wants to install. He's a big wide out.

I also think we will sign Warren Sapp and draft a DT project.

Stewie
01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Davis and Redding. If we get one of those two I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not sure Carl will go after them. He may be hoping to fill those voids in the draft... and we know that's always a crap shoot.

GoHuge
01-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Why is Allen going to be handed a four game suspension for his second DUI? Warfield didn't get it until his third. It's still stupid to get one as a NFL player but what does the "code of conduct" or whatever they call it state with regard to DUI's?

Brock
01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Blah.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by crazycoffey
I never looked at realfootball365 before, it's linked to the planet home page, so it can't be all bad. <HR SIZE=1>

ROFL

I realized the quandary in my comments right after I hit submit reply

bringbackmarty
01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
think we should get tweeners for our first 3 picks this year, with so many holes to fill, a
te\WR, RB\FB, FB\TE, DE\DT, CB\S, LB\DE, OT\g, or G\C
should both fill holes in our starting lineup and provide depth at the same time. :p

bringbackmarty
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
im talkin 12 positions with just 6 picks, and if we can stumble across the ever so rare fb\rb\te, or fb\te\wr tweener well you get the picture...

Hydrae
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I would have to know that Davis could transition inside to the guard position. Heck, we are talking the other side of the line, it may not be the best fit for what will probably be a fairly highly paid lineman.

Redding would be huge in finalizing this defense. I am not sure how much I would worry about a second DT even. He would be enough of an upgrade and take enough attention from the offense that whoever we lined up next to him would wind up looking good while Hali and Allen would be able to go nuts. It would take some of the pressure off Mitchell in the middle too.

I want to see some shoring up of the offensive line and fix DT this offseason. Whatever else happens, those are my priorities.

ChiefsCountry
01-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Is this what GoChiefs wrote?

Walter
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Monkeys could fly out my butt too.

ChiefsFire
01-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Who in the BLUE F*** is this C.E. Wendler character?

I dunno....I bet hes a cool cat though

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Leonard Davis isn't what we need.

And I'm firmly against acquiring a DT via free agency, unless we're looking for another James Reed or Ron Edwards (FYI, we're NOT)...

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I think White would be a really nice pickup. Not everyone you grab in free agency is starting material. We need depth at DE.

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Leonard Davis is a Guard and a Tackle remember that, because he'll get owned by speed rushers. The guy doesn't have the quicks to play the position in the NFL

beer bacon
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Redding and White would be the two I would focus on in FA. I would stay away from Briggs - OLB is not a weakness for our team right now. We can't afford to break the bank signing Briggs.

I would focus on WRs and OTs early in the draft. I would then look for CBs, an OLB, a center, and OGs in the later rounds.

FAX
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Put me on the Drew Bennett bandwagon. He would be a great addition to our new, simplified offense.

FAX

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Leonard Davis is a Guard and a Tackle remember that, because he'll get owned by speed rushers. The guy doesn't have the quicks to play the position in the NFL

could he be an upgrade? Over Welbourn? Black? Turely yes / Sampson hell yes / Svitek, maybe, well see.

but here's a point I tried to make earlier. last week;
Waters is the only one I wouldn't mess with for sure. I may be tempted to leave Casey, but we have to be ready to not only run up his ass. If Black is good enough for RG, then great, maybe Welbourn too, but he was talked out of retirement earlier this year, he's only 30-31, but why did he need to be talked out of retiremnt. The young svitek and Tre can battle the RT spot, we need two LT to battle for starting. How about a FA and 1st or 2nd round draft pick?

Turley can convert back to TE to help Runblock, if dunn needs that, or let Turley go. But he's not an Tackle anymore, so that's one, Sampson is dead, or as close as possible and still be named on a roster, that's two, shields will retire, that's three, if Welbourn or hell, casey even could retire that's four and maybe five OL we need to replace depth if the young kids can step up. I am concerned how we address this need, it has to be spread out with FA and Draft picks.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Redding and White would be the two I would focus on in FA. I would stay way from Briggs - OLB is not a weakness for our team right now. We can't afford to break the bank signing Briggs.

I would focus on WRs and OTs early in the draft, and CBs, an OLB, a center, and OGs in the later rounds.

We'd be better off spending the money on Briggs than Redding.

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
My thoughts:

1. Drew Bennett. I'm ambivalent about this suggestions, because I think the Chiefs need a better WR's coach. Joyner has been with KC since 2001 and the Chiefs haven't really developed any good receivers and most of them always seem to have problems getting separation, holding onto the ball, and grasping the position. Why couldn't Webb and Gardner get more balls thrown their way this year when Parker and Hall were obviously not getting it done?

2. Leonard Davis. No. He's not a good LOT. LOT's are valued as much as QB's. Teams don't let them walk, especially a team like the Cards that have a very weak OL. He's going to price himself as a tackle which means the Chiefs would be overpaying him as a guard. Here is a good SAT analogy: Ryan Sims is to the Chiefs as Leonard Davis is to the Cards.

3. Corey Redding. I think he's probably a little too light, but if you can get him for a good price as a rotational player on passing downs, he'd be a good pickup. Plus, the Chiefs probably aren't going to answer both DT needs in the draft, so having a rotational player is a good idea.

4. Briggs. He might be the top FA this year. Typically teams overspend for the top guys and don't get a good return on the investment.

5. White. Now we're talking. Here is a good value free agent. Grab a speed rushing OLB/DE hybrid in the draft in the 3rd, 5th or 6th and the Chiefs enter 2007 with a nice group of complimentary players for Allen and Hali. Plus with Allen likely suspended for 4 games, DE becomes a bigger need.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
could he be an upgrade? Over Welbourn? Black? Turely yes / Sampson hell yes / Svitek, maybe, well see.

but here's a point I tried to make earlier. last week;
Waters is the only one I wouldn't mess with for sure. I may be tempted to leave Casey, but we have to be ready to not only run up his ass. If Black is good enough for RG, then great, maybe Welbourn too, but he was talked out of retirement earlier this year, he's only 30-31, but why did he need to be talked out of retiremnt. The young svitek and Tre can battle the RT spot, we need two LT to battle for starting. How about a FA and 1st or 2nd round draft pick?

Turley can convert back to TE to help Runblock, if dunn needs that, or let Turley go. But he's not an Tackle anymore, so that's one, Sampson is dead, or as close as possible and still be named on a roster, that's two, shields will retire, that's three, if Welbourn or hell, casey even could retire that's four and maybe five OL we need to replace depth if the young kids can step up. I am concerned how we address this need, it has to be spread out with FA and Draft picks.

It's not solely about upgrading. It's about becoming GOOD at the position. Davis really isn't "good".

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Redding and White would be the two I would focus on in FA. I would stay way from Briggs - OLB is not a weakness for our team right now. We can't afford to break the bank signing Briggs.

I would focus on WRs and OTs early in the draft, and CBs, an OLB, a center, and OGs in the later rounds.

This sounds good, and it makes sense too.

totally agree with you about Briggs. I'd love the upgrade, but it's not plausable. too many needs to address on O and DT and depth for CB

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 02:46 PM
My thoughts:
Here is a good SAT analogy: Ryan Sims is to the Chiefs as Leonard Davis is to the Cards.

ROFL Wow, if I thought that was really true, then I would question the author's intellegence to even put him on the list.

Good analogy, I see you point very clearly now. I have to say that.

KC Kings
01-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Why is Allen going to be handed a four game suspension for his second DUI? Warfield didn't get it until his third. It's still stupid to get one as a NFL player but what does the "code of conduct" or whatever they call it state with regard to DUI's?

The NFL suspension tied to a conviction. He was given a free pass for the first incident, then after the 2nd incident they went back and convicted him on the first incident. He will go to court fof the second incident next month, where he will probably be convicted again because it is obvious that he didn't learn his lesson and shouldn't be given any more free passes.

CoMoChief
01-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I like Bennet i think he would be good for what Herm wants to install. He's a big wide out.

I also think we will sign Warren Sapp and draft a DT project.

If we draft another DT project I will personally hunt Peterson down.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
The NFL suspension tied to a conviction. He was given a free pass for the first incident, then after the 2nd incident they went back and convicted him on the first incident. He will go to court fof the second incident next month, where he will probably be convicted again because it is obvious that he didn't learn his lesson and shouldn't be given any more free passes.

Yep. He'll get a suspension for being convicted of a CRIME, in addition to any penalties for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Skyy God
01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Cory Redding sounds like a distinct possibility. The fact that all of his 8 sacks came after Shaun Rogers was injured and out for the year suggests that he wasn't just having the QB forced into him by other studs on the line.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Cory Redding sounds like a distinct possibility. The fact that all of his 8 sacks came after Shaun Rogers was injured and out for the year suggests that he wasn't just having the QB forced into him by other studs on the line.

History suggests that throwing money at a defensive tackle in free agency is a very bad idea...

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
We'd be better off spending the money on Briggs than Redding.

BS

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 03:21 PM
BS

History suggests we'd be better off spending money on just about anything OTHER than a free agent defensive tackle.

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 03:23 PM
History suggests we'd be better off spending money on just about anything OTHER than a free agent defensive tackle.

KC got a few good years out of McGlockton and Williams.

They haven't been able to draft at the position either. They need to try something to get it fixed, it might as well be a free agent.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 03:26 PM
3. Corey Redding. I think he's probably a little too light

How do you figure? He's bigger than that pipsqueak Reed.

Skyy God
01-17-2007, 03:26 PM

DT's are a gamble to draft (especially in the 1st) and a gamble to sign in free agency. 6 of one.... I wouldn't see him as a McGlockton-type signing/risk.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM

DT's are a gamble to draft (especially in the 1st) and a gamble to sign in free agency. 6 of one.... I wouldn't see him as a McGlockton-type signing/risk.

Nice tiptoeing but I do agree with you. I see where htismaqe is going too with history repeating itself, but I'm more optimistic. It can repeat itself, that's true, but that's also if you don't learn from the past and apply those lessons to today. Make smarter choices, don't overpay for past performances, do gamble on future performances but with players that have life, fit the scheme, are coachable, etc. I hope there is some variables that we haven't been able to fully see that would help expose players like Simms earlier on.

Chiefnj
How do you figure? He's bigger than that pipsqueak Reed.

He came out of college and first played in the NFL as a DE. They bulked him up a little to move him inside. He's not that strong at the point of attack for a 4-3 DT.

Mecca
BS

Lance Briggs is by far the best player in this market.....if he gets into it anyway....He's also 26 he's not an old declining FA he's in his prime years.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
He's also 26 he's not an old declining FA he's in his prime years.

Neither is Redding.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
KC got a few good years out of McGlockton and Williams.

They haven't been able to draft at the position either. They need to try something to get it fixed, it might as well be a free agent.

McGlockton was a trade. Williams played one year and then sat out a year and was never the same.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
He came out of college and first played in the NFL as a DE. They bulked him up a little to move him inside. He's not that strong at the point of attack for a 4-3 DT.

He looks at least as big as Reed in this photo. I don't think he's too small.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6027/72413350pt1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mecca
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I can't believe people are pimping guys like Cory Redding and Leonard Davis......giving big contracts to guys like that is how you end up hosed.

htismaqe
01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
He looks at least as big as Reed in this photo. I don't think he's too small.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6027/72413350pt1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bulk <> strength

01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
C.E. Wendler
Oh my goodness..who is Clayton Wendler?

Brock
01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh my goodness..who is Clayton Wendler?

It's the pen name of Luke Sissyfag.

01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
It's the pen name of Luke SissyRump Ranger.
I know..obviously the thread starter didn't know.;)

Easy 6
01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Redding might be ok, but i would still want a TOP rookie prospect to groom at DT.

One thing i hope Herm doesnt do is get too light at DT, having one disruptor type is fine, but 2 is asking to be gashed in the run game.

I truly hope we have a different/better version of this years tandem, 1 light & quick disruptor & 1 run stuffing space eater to keep guys off the MLB.

Balance.

Halfcan
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Fox and Bell need to go. QUick... write down all the big plays you remember them making.....
Yep that didn't take long!

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2007, 05:00 PM
If you people think we should go after Leonard Davis, or that we will get Briggs, you are absof*ckinglutely crazy.

This isn't the year to go after a FA LB...this is one of the deepest LB classes in draft history. There will be several in the 2nd and 3rd rounds far and away better than anyone else on our roster, save DJ. Pick up a cover 2 MLB in the 2nd or 3rd round and that area of our D will become a relative strength.

Stay away from Cato June and Leonard Davis....and we'll never EVER get Briggs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Redding might be ok, but i would still want a TOP rookie prospect to groom at DT.

One thing i hope Herm doesnt do is get too light at DT, having one disruptor type is fine, but 2 is asking to be gashed in the run game.

I truly hope we have a different/better version of this years tandem, 1 light & quick disruptor & 1 run stuffing space eater to keep guys off the MLB.

Balance.

Unless we shit out a top 10 pick, we aren't getting that top rookie prospect at DT, as that's most likely when Okoye will go, and Branch is defnitely top 5-6.

Skip Towne
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
CE Wendler asked you to post this article, didn't he?

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
CE Wendler asked you to post this article, didn't he?

No but I broke a record....

......This thread lost it's burst before the first reply

suds79
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Gotta admit, I didn't see a FA there that really jumped out at me.

IMO, free agents typically (key word: typically. b4 you throw Priest Holmes out at me) are not worth the $$ you pay for them.

I'd say lets just build through the draft and play young guys.

milkman
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
McGlockton was a trade. Williams played one year and then sat out a year and was never the same.

Chester was not a trade.

The NFL awarded him a special franchise free agency because of something squirelly with his contract with the Raiders.

The rest of the league had a 24 hour window to sign him, and would have to give up their first round pick, and the NFL gave them an additional compensatory pick at the end of the first round.

penchief
01-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Unless we shit out a top 10 pick, we aren't getting that top rookie prospect at DT, as that's most likely when Okoye will go, and Branch is defnitely top 5-6.

I think we could help ourselves in the middle if Posluzny fell to 24. It sounds crazy but inside linebackers don't go all that high and he's the kind of player that will line up as a starter on day one. He'd also fill our need for a strong leader on defense. Plus, he's fast enough and athletic enough to do the things a MLB needs to do in Herm's defense.

I know we need a DT and LT a lot more but I like it when we draft "football players" like Allen, Hali, DJ, Page, and Pollard. He'd be another one in that mold, IMO.

num1chieffan
01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Lions sign DT Jackson, TE FitzSimmons, DE Redding
Associated Press
National Football League News Wire

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions on Wednesday signed
unrestricted free agent Tyoka Jackson to a two-year deal and
re-signed restricted free agents Casey FitzSimmons and Cory Redding
to one-year deals......

That kind of ends that debate.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Lions sign DT Jackson, TE FitzSimmons, DE Redding
Associated Press
National Football League News Wire

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions on Wednesday signed
unrestricted free agent Tyoka Jackson to a two-year deal and
re-signed restricted free agents Casey FitzSimmons and Cory Redding
to one-year deals......

That kind of ends that debate.

Great first post, Maryland

milkman
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM

You consider killing some people's dreams a "Great first post"?

We're going to get along just fine.

Chiefnj
01-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Not really.

It was from April 2006. Those signings happened last year.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
C.E. (one who sucks the penis) Wendler?

the Talking Can
01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
this is the perfect blue print....to turning us into the Cardinals...or Raiders...rebuild by filling your roster with over-priced mediocre-to-shitty FAs?

Extra Point
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
What's wrong with moving Eric Hicks to DT? The guy can't move, so why not put him in as a gap-filler?

the Talking Can
01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
What's wrong with moving Eric Hicks to DT? The guy can't move, so why not put him in as a gap-filler?

because he sucks more than redrum's mom at a high school cafeteria?

penchief
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks for reminding us of one of this years highlights, Hali replacing Hicks. Has everyone forgotten how badly we all wanted Hicks replaced? It was second on our list right after winning the Super Bowl.

Whooohoooo! We did it!

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 09:27 PM
C.E. (one who sucks the penis) Wendler?

NTTAWWT?????

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I think we could help ourselves in the middle if Posluzny fell to 24. It sounds crazy but inside linebackers don't go all that high and he's the kind of player that will line up as a starter on day one. He'd also fill our need for a strong leader on defense. Plus, he's fast enough and athletic enough to do the things a MLB needs to do in Herm's defense.

I know we need a DT and LT a lot more but I like it when we draft "football players" like Allen, Hali, DJ, Page, and Pollard. He'd be another one in that mold, IMO.

That's funny, b/c I have a former student who is majoring in Sports Management and watches Big 10 football religiously. We were talking about him the other day and he said that he thought he was highly overrated, mainly because they weren't chasing Tamba down in the backfield on every play this year.

Personally, I'd rather have Patrick Willis, but that's just me.

penchief
01-17-2007, 09:48 PM
That's funny, b/c I have a former student who is majoring in Sports Management and watches Big 10 football religiously. We were talking about him the other day and he said that he thought he was highly overrated, mainly because they weren't chasing Tamba down in the backfield on every play this year.

Personally, I'd rather have Patrick Willis, but that's just me.

Well, I'm not going to argue with that because I was confident that Hali would make it. And it is true that Hali stood out. But Posluzny had another good year this year after coming back from a severe knee injury. He has the intangibles, IMO. I think if he falls to 24 (which is possible) it would be worth considering even though we have other more pressing needs.

I'm not all that familiar with Willis but if he's better I'd rather have him, too.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Pen, what do you think about Levi Brown?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, I'm not going to argue with that because I was confident that Hali would make it. And it is true that Hali stood out. But Posluzny had another good year this year after coming back from a severe knee injury. He has the intangibles, IMO. I think if he falls to 24 (which is possible) it would be worth considering even though we have other more pressing needs.

I'm not all that familiar with Willis but if he's better I'd rather have him, too.

The thing about Willis is that he was a playmaker on a bad defense, which IMO, is something that stands out far more than being a playmaker on a good D....Kendrell Bell is an example of a playmaker on a good D...look at how they turn out once you remove them from said system...anyone heard of Edgerton Hartwell lately? Adalius Thomas will probably fall into anonymity as well....that's why I think Willis is a safer bet.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Pen, what do you think about Levi Brown?

Here was the aforementioned's analysis on Poz and Brown:

Poz:

As for LB, I really like Patrick Willis. Pozlusny could end up being a bust, as he had a below average season as a result of not having the luxury of the entire o-line chasing Tamba Hali around in the backfield all game. Poz's teammate, Dan Connor, is an absolute stud, and will be better than Poz, but he decided to stay for his senior year. You are right though, this should be a good year for linebackers from top to bottom. There should be some great values in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Brown:

As for the draft, I think #24 is a sticky position to be in. There are alot of players like Levi Brown, which you mentioned as a possibility, that are 'iffy.' Brown didn't play very well against OSU (our DEs had good games), and from what I saw, he was dominated during the Michigan game.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
what do you think about Levi Brown?

average to solid player like Victor Riley. BPA at any position if it's Jarrett,Okoye, Willis,Woodley, or Rice ect...

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Chester was not a trade.

The NFL awarded him a special franchise free agency because of something squirelly with his contract with the Raiders.

The rest of the league had a 24 hour window to sign him, and would have to give up their first round pick, and the NFL gave them an additional compensatory pick at the end of the first round.

Acquiring Chester involved draft pick compensation. It's the EQUIVALENT of a trade. He wasn't a FREE AGENT.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Posluzny has the intangibles, but I'm worried he doesn't have the TANGIBLES. See Mike Mazlowski.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
average to solid player like Victor Riley. BPA at any position if it's Jarrett,Okoye, Willis,Woodley, or Rice ect...

That's a semi-solid analysis IMO.

Brown is a good straight-ahead blocker and he's very strong. If he gets his hands on you, you're done.

But I question whether or not he has the athleticism to do some NFL-type things, namely pulling to block and handling superior speed rushers off the edge. He didn't face a whole lot of 3-4 monsters ala Merriman in the Big 10.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
If we could sign Redding and big Terd, and then draft Willis, we might actually have a defense next year.

Brock
01-18-2007, 10:39 AM
If we could sign Redding and big Terd, and then draft Willis, we might actually have a defense next year.

Too much to hope for.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Too much to hope for.

I'm not sure why anybody would want Sands back on this team for any other reason than nostalgia.

And I hope to God we don't throw a bunch of money at Redding...

penchief
01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
The thing about Willis is that he was a playmaker on a bad defense, which IMO, is something that stands out far more than being a playmaker on a good D....Kendrell Bell is an example of a playmaker on a good D...look at how they turn out once you remove them from said system...anyone heard of Edgerton Hartwell lately? Adalius Thomas will probably fall into anonymity as well....that's why I think Willis is a safer bet.

Penn State had a decent defense in spite of a huge turnover from last year (returning only 4 starters I believe). Conner is the other standout linebacker but Posluzny's play certainly had a lot to do with the unexpected performance of a defense in transition.

I also wouldn't agree that Posluzny is a system player.

Brock
01-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure why anybody would want Sands back on this team for any other reason than nostalgia.

The right price goes without saying. Secondly, if the chiefs had had patience with the Sands project, they'd have a more solid player than Ryan Sims at this point.

penchief
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Here was the aforementioned's analysis on Poz and Brown:

Poz:

As for LB, I really like Patrick Willis. Pozlusny could end up being a bust, as he had a below average season as a result of not having the luxury of the entire o-line chasing Tamba Hali around in the backfield all game. Poz's teammate, Dan Connor, is an absolute stud, and will be better than Poz, but he decided to stay for his senior year. You are right though, this should be a good year for linebackers from top to bottom. There should be some great values in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Brown:

As for the draft, I think #24 is a sticky position to be in. There are alot of players like Levi Brown, which you mentioned as a possibility, that are 'iffy.' Brown didn't play very well against OSU (our DEs had good games), and from what I saw, he was dominated during the Michigan game.

I'm not sure about Brown. He hasn't done anything that reallys stands out to me. If he fell to 24 he'd probably be a fairly safe bet because offensive lineman from PSU are usually very fundamentally sound.

I still think Posluzny has the tools and intangibles that translate to the NFL. He's a production guy. Time will tell, though.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
The right price goes without saying. Secondly, if the chiefs had had patience with the Sands project, they'd have a more solid player than Ryan Sims at this point.

See my sig and keep in mind that Sims is WORSE than "bad".

Sands isn't the solution to anything. He's not an upgrade over Edwards or Reed.

penchief
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Posluzny has the intangibles, but I'm worried he doesn't have the TANGIBLES. See Mike Mazlowski.

I don't know, man. I've always thought he had pretty good speed. And he's quick to the ball. I might not put my money on him in a 40 yard dash but I think his football speed has been fine.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:57 AM

IMO, there is no "right price" for a free agent DT that's likely to be the best of his class.

DT's are, by nature, guys that are already getting paid simply because they're big and fast. They're guys that, by and large, have never really had to TRY too hard to be good at what they do. Then you give them a bunch of money and BAM - Ryan Sims.

The only reason we got production out of Reed and Edwards this season is because they came in knowing that if they didn't perform, their careers were likely over.

If we really want to address the DT position, we'll draft one.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Sands is 6'7, 335 and has learned how to play, according to what I've read. And he's still young.

And Redding's 8 sacks from the DT position is pretty impressive for anyone not named Trevor Pryce. Normally I would say the guy turned it up for his contract year, but he was switching positions (from DE), so I would attribute his good play more to maybe finally finding his best position. Having Redding (6'4) and Sands (6'7) would at least give us the heighth in the middle that Jax and NE have, if not the same skill level.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
The only reason we got production out of Reed and Edwards this season is because they came in knowing that if they didn't perform, their careers were likely over.

We got production from Reed and Edwards?

IMO, if the Chiefs don't re-sign them, their careers will be over. Neither of them was any better than Lional Dalton.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Sands is 6'7, 335 and has learned how to play, according to what I've read. And he's still young.

And Redding's 8 sacks from the DT position is pretty impressive for anyone not named Trevor Pryce. Normally I would say the guy turned it up for his contract year, but he was switching positions (from DE), so I would attribute his good play more to maybe finally finding his best position. Having Redding (6'4) and Sands (6'7) would at least give us the heighth in the middle that Jax and NE have, if not the same skill level.

Height is about the only thing that would compare to Jax, considering Marcus Stroud is possibly the best DT in the entire NFL.

Sands is a stop-gap at best.

And I've already enumerated my thoughts on giving a contract to a guy like Redding.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
We got production from Reed and Edwards?

IMO, if the Chiefs don't re-sign them, their careers will be over. Neither of them was any better than Lional Dalton.

They were better than Dalton and Sims, that's an undeniable fact.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
They were better than Dalton and Sims, that's an undeniable fact.

Why is that an undeniable fact? Because our defensive rankings improved from 18th to 16th according to Gretz' system?

IMO, any defensive improvement we made this season had more to do with Hali and Law replacing Hicks and Warfield.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Why is that an undeniable fact? Because our defensive rankings improved from 18th to 16th according to Gretz' system?

IMO, any defensive improvement we made this season had more to do with Hali and Law replacing Hicks and Warfield.

They were more active up front. No, they weren't great, but anybody with two eyes could see they were better than what we've had.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
They were more active up front. No, they weren't great, but anybody with two eyes could see they were better than what we've had.

The only DT I ever saw looking "active" was Wilkerson.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
The only DT I ever saw looking "active" was Wilkerson.

Again, I didn't say they were "good".

I said they were MORE active than Sims and Dalton, and that they were. I'm not sure what anybody expected from guys we pulled off the scrap heap.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to decifer which one of you is C. E. Wendler's alter ego and second handle (besides GoChiefs)

Logical
01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
What this thread says to me is that the offseason is going to be a likely bust. If ever there was a year to clear cap space and get younger this year sure would seem to fill the bill.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I was talking about the middle.

Who do you think I was talking about, Hali and Allen?

:D

EDIT: And now I see that you've deleted your post. You must have realized it too. :thumb:

penchief
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I was talking about the middle.

Who do you think I was talking about, Hali and Allen?

:D

EDIT: And now I see that you've deleted your post. You must have realized it too. :thumb:

Yep, I did think that but I wasn't quick enough. You still caught me.

Hey, it was decent take, anyway. Too bad I wasted it on a misunderstanding.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Briggs was on Jim Rome (last night, replay just finished), he said that he turned down last years Bears money because he thinks he's worth more. That sold me on the idea of not going after him. Unless they really tried to hose him.

Hammock Parties
01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm trying to decifer which one of you is C. E. Wendler's alter ego and second handle (besides GoChiefs)

There's no second handle.

milkman
01-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Acquiring Chester involved draft pick compensation. It's the EQUIVALENT of a trade. He wasn't a FREE AGENT.

Yes he was a free agent.

The compensation was mandated by the league, but it was not a trade negotiated between the Chiefs and Raiders.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16309223.htm

Another Oakland defensive tackle, Chester McGlockton, once approached Marty Schottenheimer, then coaching the Chiefs, during a timeout. McGlockton asked Schottenheimer if he could play for the Chiefs.

The Chiefs signed McGlockton as a free agent after that season.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 09:02 PM
I wonder if Dan William's 10 million dollar toe ever healed?

Priest4Prez
01-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Jesus Christ himself couldn't help this team all on his own

booger
02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
I think White would be a really nice pickup. Not everyone you grab in free agency is starting material. We need depth at DE.

I agree. Good depth and a spot starter depending on JA's suspension.

Smaller Cover two DL typically do well in that scheme. Besides, if Wilkerson starts at DT (very possible IMO), if he is resigned we are very slim for bodies at DE.

booger
02-10-2007, 11:49 PM
White's stats.
114 total tackles, 14 sacks and 12 pass defensed in the last 3 years.

Bowser
02-10-2007, 11:56 PM
None of those names rhyme with Scott Pioli.

Mr. Kotter
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Nice job, Clayton.

I'd take that for a FA Offseason. As long as we don't overpay any of 'em. :)

RedThat
02-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Put me on the Drew Bennett bandwagon. He would be a great addition to our new, simplified offense.

FAX

Can I jump on that wagon with ya?

Im all for a WR. I think he would help our wide receiving corps. It's definately what we need. Bennett is a solid WR, not a great WR, but I think good enough to make our passing game respectable.

We know that Gonzo, and EK are pretty consistent, even though they are old, they are mainstays here because they do give pretty consistent and decent production. But I think adding a guy like Bennett would be perfect because he could bring stability to our receiving corps. And plus he is not that old at 28 years of age. We could use that.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Nice job, Clayton.

I'd take that for a FA Offseason. As long as we don't overpay any of 'em. :)

Read this:

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/02/topfive-superbowlmvp-candidates060207.html