PDA

View Full Version : Keyaron Fox

Steve
01-17-2007, 07:02 PM
A lot of people on this board keep saying he is the answer opposite of DJ.I don't understand why anybody thinks he is that good.When he plays you might here his name on a couple of tackles but that is it.He hasnt even played well enough to beat out K. Bell for that spot.I think everyone will agree that Bell has been a huge let down.Please, help me understand this.

milkman
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Some people see his speed, and the fact hat he is usally around the ball and like what they see.

Problem is, he doesn't tackle well.

unothadeal
01-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Like the Miami game for instance when he could have made them punt but instead bounced right off Ronnie Brown

Steve
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
To me bottom line is how well does the player tackle.Defense is about attitude and tackling.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Like the Miami game for instance when he could have made them punt but instead bounced right off Ronnie Brown

Yeah, that doesn't help....

... but I think the appeal is that he almost beat out Bell, some one who is supposed to be a great FA pickup for us with six years experience. Bell hit a plateau and then flopped. While fox had an injury, he has still been an ascending player; this was just his second year of real playtime, and he has better speed than Bell. I don't think we would be bad off to trade bell and let Fox and a 3rd or 4th rounder fight for the start at OLB.

J Diddy
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah, that doesn't help....

... but I think the appeal is that he almost beat out Bell, some one who is supposed to be a great FA pickup for us with six years experience. Bell hit a plateau and then flopped. While fox had an injury, he has still been an ascending player; this was just his second year of real playtime, and he has better speed than Bell. I don't think we would be bad off to trade bell and let Fox and a 3rd or 4th rounder fight for the start at OLB.

and just who do you think is gonna give up a pick for bell

he garnered almost no interest a couple of years ago in FA, and has played even worse here.

the Talking Can
01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
fox sucks

Extra Point
01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
What about the 4-3 or 5-3, then? Or, for that matter, the 3-4? Do we have enough meat to fill the gaps, and speed for blitzing? What do we need, then?

DenverChief
01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
and just who do you think is gonna give up a pick for bell

Al Davis?

sedated
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Bell hit a plateau and then flopped.

does a freakish rookie year in a great system for LB's count as a plateau?

Fox might still be feeling the effects of the knee injury,

our D went downhill pretty quick when he went down last year - we lost the splash of 3-4 that seemed to work well.

Fox is attractive because of the speed he would bring, as opposed to tinkerbell. we'd have one of the fastest LB corps in the AFC. (is that always good over some size? I dunno)

jspchief
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I can see why people are enamored with Fox. When he plays he's always around the ball, as compared to Bell who is invisible for large portions of the game. I also think Fox's speed should translate to him being a better Cover 2 LB, since the scheme asks it's LBs to be in coverage a lot. Fox has the athleticism and appears to have the brain.

So on the surface it looks like an attractive fix. But it's clear from the playing time he's gotten that his tackling is sub-par. Honestly I just don't think he's strong enough. And for all the people that trashed Donnie Edwards being drug around the field, at least Edwards could hold on.

Hopefully Fox can get better at his weaknesses. I think he's got a shot to be a decent NFL LB. At the very least, he's probably going to be better in this system than Bell.

jiveturkey
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Fox had far fewer plays than Bell and put up about the same number of tackles and beat Bell in pretty much every other category.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/dstats_final_06.pdf

He can tackle and he can hold on. He missed a few but so did everyone else.

FAX
01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I wonder how many of the missed tackles can be chalked up to unfamiliarity with the scheme? I mean, it could be that Fox is a split second late to the ball carrier for that reason which would put him out of position to make the tackle.

Or, is he getting there and just lacking technique?

FAX

jspchief
01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Or, is he getting there and just lacking technique?Yes.

Technique, strength, or both. He bounces off guys and doesn't wrap up well.

ChiefaRoo
01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Fox? He's < K. Bell

Another in the long line of soft/bust defensive players the Chiefs have drafted.

crazycoffey
01-17-2007, 09:23 PM
say what you will
I got money on Fox being our starting ROLB next year, injury exceptance of couse.

Fish
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I wonder how many of the missed tackles can be chalked up to unfamiliarity with the scheme? I mean, it could be that Fox is a split second late to the ball carrier for that reason which would put him out of position to make the tackle.

Or, is he getting there and just lacking technique?

FAX

I don't know that I would attribute terrible tackling with unfamiliarity with the scheme Mr. Fax. At this point in his career, tackling should be as natural to him as scratching his nuts in the morning.... but some guys are just bad at it.

Alas... I retain hope...

FAX
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't know that I would attribute terrible tackling with unfamiliarity with the scheme Mr. Fax. At this point in his career, tackling should be as natural to him as scratching his nuts in the morning.... but some guys are just bad at it.

Alas... I retain hope...

I was thinking that he might be getting to the ball carrier just a smidge late enough to put him out of position to make the tackle, Mr. KC Fish. In this day and age, you have to get there fast and your technique has to be sound, or you'll be made to look foolish.

But, frankly, I don't know. I haven't studied Fox much at all, to be honest. I should. As for your point about second nature, I agree completely. It's amazing to me that players at this level don't wrap up. We're not the only team with that problem, but we have a bad case. It's cost us big time. The Browns game is a great example.

FAX

sedated
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Fox? He's < K. Bell

:eek:

can you back up that statement with some fact, or are we still living in the 2004 offseason?

Fish
01-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I haven't studied Fox much at all, to be honest. I should. As for your point about second nature, I agree completely. It's amazing to me that players at this level don't wrap up. We're not the only team with that problem, but we have a bad case. It's cost us big time. The Browns game is a great example.

FAX

Reluctantly.... I have studied Fox...

Fox has been one of my personal "virtual" Chiefs projects. A truth I've yet to disclose.. Mainly meaning I like the guy for no other reason than the "underdog" blind homerism effect. But being what it is... I hope he learns to tackle....

Let's keep this on the down low..aight..?

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 01:34 AM
BRIGGS!!!

RedThat
01-18-2007, 02:45 AM
So far to date, there is no doubt in my mind that Fox is a project.

I agree that he'd be better suited in a cover 2 system than Kendrell Bell. He has the athleticism to cover down field, and has a nose for the ball.

*As far as the tackling goes, yeah it is a big problem. A definate flaw in his game. But it's not like it can't be fixed? A little bit of coaching there, and he can be a solid LB imo.

J Diddy
01-18-2007, 02:49 AM
BRIGGS!!!

tmm

Hammock Parties
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Key Fox has a Super Bowl ring.

Just like Kawika Mitchell.

Mecca
02-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Key Fox had fun not even being the top backup LB there and not really doing much.

Cormac
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Mitchell, Fox and Lawrence Tynes.

It's amazing how a lesser role and/or better coaching can turn a guy around.

DJ's left nut
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Fox's knee exploded. He was well on his way to getting some solid run and probably becoming a decent player for us.

There's lots of stuff our staff has fucked in the recent past. This is not one of them.

Don't be the boy that cried "HERM!"