PDA

View Full Version : Poll on ESPN "Can the Chargers Win a SB with Marty"?

Kerberos
01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

He is staying in SD for at least another year according to ESPN.

Now I realize it is still early in the POLL on ESPN as I add this thread but there are a lot of people out there saying SanDiego CAN win a SB with Marty Shotgunhider as thier coach.

:shake:

Some people have faith in the wrong things IMHO.

But hey .... Thats just my opinion and I am entitled that. Judge Rainman says so.

;)

kepp
01-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Strange...Missouri shows as 50/50 and Kansas not too far from that. You'd think out of everyone we would know.

Chiefs_Fan
01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
This year they didn't learn, so they are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
There's alot of Chiefs fans out there in KS and MO that still think he can win it all...

Sometimes I wonder how they ever came to call it the "Show Me" state.

Eleazar
01-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Toward the end of the regular season this year, I was buying in. The Chargers this year didn't remind me of the old Chiefs. They had the league's best player, a pretty potent offense, a defense that had played well during the season. They won 14 games. They didn't seem overly conservative or to be playing "Martyball" too often.

So, a few weeks ago I would have told you that I guessed Marty had changed, he'd evolved as a head coach.

And if you look at the playoff game, it's not that conservatism really cost them that game. They had the weird going for it on 4th and 11 call but I guess you're going to have a playcall you can second guess in every game. More than anything, it was his players making bonehead plays like muffing the punts or headbutting people that cost them the game.

I don't think you can put the loss on him, but still... 5-13 is not a freakin' accident.

Wallcrawler
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
This year, Marty got a raw deal. It actually wasnt him hindering his team that totally cost them the game. 5-12 record previously, that was Martyball. Run the ball, eat up the clock, try to win by FG at the end. If Marty had good kickers in his time, maybe he would be one of the greatest coaches ever, because Ive never seen a guy lose so many playoff games on a missed FG.

This year though, he was aggressive. He went for the jugular and his players just let him down by making too many errors. Rivers tossing INTs, Parker fumbling the punt, and even through all of that, if Marlon McRee just swats that ball down instead of picking it off and fumbling it away, SD most likely wins that game anyway. Marty didnt help the cause by challenging that play and losing a timeout, but it was still something that could have been prevented had his players been using their heads for something other than a hat rack.

I think Marty is cursed when it comes to the playoffs. It just seems like no matter how good his team is, he just cant get it done in the postseason. He's been the coach of the number 1 seed THREE times and lost the first game every time. 95 Chiefs (def by Colts), 97 Chiefs (def by Broncos), 2006 Chargers (def by Patriots).

Marty has a bad situation now because it doesnt matter how many games he wins in the regular season, because that 1 and done postseason ritual overshadows everything else.

TinyEvel
01-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, they were talking about tht on the radio out here. Said he's gonna be coaching another year. I wouldn't fire him. 14-2 is damn impressive, and like previous posts I think the players screwed up one-too many times, against a good team.

Though a funny thing one of the sports guys on the radio said: "I don't like his glasses, adn I don't like the way he wears his hat"

JBucc
01-18-2007, 05:12 PM
ESPN's site sucks. There's too much shit on there and half of it never loads right and I can never get the polls to work.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I am very tired of hearing about Marty-I was really hoping they would can his choking azz!

HonestChieffan
01-18-2007, 05:24 PM
They will before we do with Herm and AngryLarry

Deberg_1990
01-18-2007, 05:35 PM
I honestly dont ever see Marty winning a Super Bowl. This guy cant win 1 playoff game in a row, so what makes everyone think he will ever win at least 3 playoff games??

No way i ever see Marty outcoaching 3 great coaches in a row.

If he doesnt win next year he might as well just stop trying because that team is as good as its ever going to get for him.

I agree that if the Pats and Bolts would have switched coaches before last Sundays game, the Bolts would have won by 2 TD's...

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
ESPN radio verbally sucked the Chargers off for over an hour the other night. I thought the guy was going to talk about other teams but just kept going. Turned it back 45 mins later and he was still going on. THEY LOST SO GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

Kerberos
01-18-2007, 06:26 PM
ESPN's site sucks. There's too much shit on there and half of it never loads right and I can never get the polls to work.

That's because your from Arkansas.

Every other state in the US loads great and polls work fine.

ESPN is just full of a bunch of haters!

;)