PDA

View Full Version : Dean - No griping here about KU streak

Lzen
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal
Published Thursday, January 18, 2007

The winning streak is at 10 games and counting, their record in the Big 12 Conference still unblemished. But I had to look this up to be certain after listening to some of the grumbling voiced after Kansas' three-point home victory over border rival Missouri on Monday.

Here I was, foolish man, thinking it was significant that in a six-day period, the fifth-ranked Kansas Jayhawks engineered a commanding 30-point rout at home over then ninth-ranked Oklahoma State, went on the road to always tough Hilton Coliseum and defeated young but gutty Iowa State, then returned home to hold off an embattled Missouri team that played one of its best games in its first season under a new coach.

By Tuesday, though, I was corrected by callers to talk radio shows who couldn't comprehend how a supposed national title contender could impose its will on a Top 10 opponent one night, then need an overtime and some late-game magic by a freshman to beat two inferior teams in its next two games.

Not that any of that apprehension is hard to comprehend.

The Jayhawks who had their fans gushing after Oklahoma State are the team their fans expect. The Jayhawks who fought and scraped to beat Iowa State and Missouri are the team they've got. And what concerns them most is wondering which of those teams will show up in mid-March.

Well, the fun part of any sports campaign, especially for teams carrying the high expectations the Jayhawks do every time the ball goes up, is that champions aren't crowned at the midpoint of a season. The performances of January have significance in March mainly in how they help shape a team for the NCAA Tournament, which at Kansas are the only games that anybody cares to count.

That's why I like what happened to KU over the past week. They had the chance to see what they can accomplish when they put it all together. They also saw what it takes to win close games, both at home and on the road, when they don't bring their "A" game and an opponent does.

Some people call this playing up or down to the level of the competition. I see it as the process of learning how to win.

Between now and March, the Jayhawks also will be reminded, likely several times, of what it is to lose — a sour taste they last experienced against DePaul back on Dec. 2. That can be helpful experience, too, in preparing for March.

There may be plenty of opportunities for Jayhawk fans to grumble again in the coming months. But the events of the last three games were not such occasions.

Rick Dean can be reached at 295-5628 or rick.dean@cjonline.com.

http://cjonline.com/stories/011807/haw_139245268.shtml

Silock
01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
I was listening to 610 yesterday afternoon and they were discussing how KU fans just aren't happy unless they blow out everyone. It's unrealistic to expect them to do so. Not even UNC and Duke do that on a consistent basis.

I'll take the win, however it comes.

jidar
01-18-2007, 09:02 AM
people always bitch.

teedubya
01-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Silock, you aren't too bright are you? I have a feeling your avatar privileges are about to be deleted.

boogblaster
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
GO HAWKS

Eleazar
01-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Obviously this guy didn't see them sleepwalking through that game. They looked terrible.

What does it say about your coaching if you can't get motivated at home playing against your rival?

Reerun_KC
01-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Were are the kitty fans out? Shouldnt they be out bashing KU for something...

I saw where KSU thrashed Baylor last night. Very impressive win.. ROFL

Second, what is up with Thuggins calling out KSU fan and screaming at him for not showing up? With all the hype from KSU fan, I figured Allen West would fill up.. It will be full for KU game.

Did anyone watch the ISU/CO game last night? How can ISU bring there A+++++++(thanks William) game for KU and get blasted on the road agianst CO? WTF? Agianst CO? This is sickening at best. ISU is a fraud and a Joke.

Lzen
01-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Posted by
Kurt Caywood in Sports, CJ sports columnists, KU

LAWRENCE — "Sit down, Mike!" was about all it was missing.
The Missouri-Kansas rivalry thing got a little pregame play, but mostly it was out of habit or a shortage of anything else to talk about. KU had the No. 5 ranking and homecourt for Big Monday. Mizzou had a three-game losing streak, a new coach and seven first-year players.

Nobody was going to be all that surprised if this lacked the fury of a "Sit down, Norm!" classic. Nobody was going to be all that bent if the bitterness took a little while to get its feet back under it.

Nobody could have guessed that what would transpire would be an 80-77 KU win that was another marvelous chapter in a story that started on the bloody antebellum plains.

"I know that our fans have a dislike for Missouri and vice versa," Kansas coach Bill Self said, "but this rivalry is about to take off."

The Tigers may have lacked a previous initiation, but they lacked no initiative. Beaten like an Indian war drum on the boards two days earlier in a loss to Kansas State, they were fearless and ferocious from the start against Kansas, led by a sophomore from St. Louis and newcomer Stefhon Hannah.

Self had done his best to warn the Jayhawks, including a couple of talented freshmen — Sherron Collins and Darrell Arthur — who also were showing up for their first Border Showdown.

By halftime, MU led in rebounds, trailed by just a point and Self made the point again.

"Coach really broke it down and explained it to us, and then I knew how really important it was to him," Collins said. "He said we're acting like this game isn't important and we don't know the history of the rivalry and we need to step up and play like it's Missouri versus Kansas."

This time, everybody got the message, no one more than Collins and Arthur.

Everybody contributed. The Jayhawks do almost everything by committee.

But when it was time to really come to order, Collins led the way, scoring a game-high 23, and combined with Arthur for 17 of the Jayhawks last 19 points.

Self said he couldn't remember anyone in his time at Kansas, especially a newcomer, taking over the way Collins did. He said that's what KU fans should expect to see if their team is at its best the rest of the way.

"Those guys can be the difference in us being a pretty good team and us being a really good team," he said. "They're the two guys who can take us to a different plateau."

Rest assured they're the guys who are going to make sure this rivalry burns on in the foreseeable future.

Them, and Anderson.

"I thought it was great," the MU coach said. "You've got to enjoy it whether you're the home team or the visiting team — and hopefully we can pay tribute to KU when they come to Mizzou Arena."

Kurt Caywood can be reached at (785) 295-1288 or kurt.caywood@cjonline.com.

http://blogs.cjonline.com/index.php?entry=1767

Mr. Laz
01-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Bill Self not being able to motivate his team and have the focus for more than 1 out 4 games is a problem.

it's why they have gotten bounced in the 1st round of the tourney the last couple of years.

blame the fans all you want, but they aren't the problem.

Reerun_KC
01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Bill Self not being able to motivate his team and have the focus for more than 1 out 4 games is a problem.

it's why they have gotten bounced in the 1st round of the tourney the last couple of years.

blame the fans all you want, but they aren't the problem.

Last year with a Freshman laden team, I could give alittle, but the year before with all the SR's, That was very unacceptable....

Really I wont start judging Self til this years tourney.. The last couple of years were very rocky to say the least....

Lzen
01-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Last year with a Freshman laden team, I could give alittle, but the year before with all the SR's, That was very unacceptable....

Really I wont start judging Self til this years tourney.. The last couple of years were very rocky to say the least....
That's pretty much how I feel, as well. If they get bounced early this year, Self is not the guy. Anything less than an Elite Eight appearance is unacceptable, IMO.

ROYC75
01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
That's pretty much how I feel, as well. If they get bounced early this year, Self is not the guy. Anything less than an Elite Eight appearance is unacceptable, IMO.

I'm a little higher this year ..... Final Four. FTR, I expect Elite 8 every year......

jidar
01-18-2007, 11:49 AM
wow.
I thought self was pretty good. You guys don't **** around I guess.

Reerun_KC
01-18-2007, 11:59 AM
wow.

Why should they?

UNC didnt, snagged Roy, When Coach Kaoeurwenqe;rqwoski leaves, they wont accept some asshat to come in and stink things up...

Self is a hell of a recuriter, Brounght in amazing talent, now he has to coach that talent to is full potential. Right now I would say he is getting 70% out of that team...

Time will tell, but and Elite 8 or less is a dissappointment if you are KU...

So he better right the ship or KU will be looking for a new coach...

WilliamTheIrish
01-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Were are the kitty fans out? Shouldnt they be out bashing KU for something...

I saw where KSU thrashed Baylor last night. Very impressive win.. ROFL

It will be full for KU game.

Did anyone watch the ISU/CO game last night? How can ISU bring there A+++++++(thanks William) game for KU and get blasted on the road agianst CO? WTF? Agianst CO? This is sickening at best. ISU is a fraud and a Joke.

Poor Reerun. Owned like an Mobilehoman mule.... even in the KU threads can't resist me. Reerun, I wouldn't dream of stepping between you and Skip. Now go wash up.

xxoo

And Reerun, the "A++++++" game was from Arrowheadhawk.

Second, what is up with Thuggins calling out KSU fan and screaming at him for not showing up? With all the hype from KSU fan, I figured Allen West would fill up...

Did Thuggins "Call us out??!!11 Tell me more about this li'l Romey.

*Sorry Lz, I won't interrupt you thread again.

Reerun_KC
01-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Poor Reerun. Owned like an Mobilehoman mule.... even in the KU threads can't resist me. Reerun, I wouldn't dream of stepping between you and Skip. Now go wash up.

xxoo

of course I was calling you out, not fun to talk about Big XII basketball with out you...

And you can rest asure I will never interrupt you while you have Saul balls deep either...

Actually your Coach did call you guys out last night on FSN after the game. Questioning the crowd and lack of student attendance.

So was yours the A+++++++++++++++++++ game thing then?

Did you watch any of the ISU/CO game last night?

WilliamTheIrish
01-18-2007, 12:50 PM
of course I was calling you out, not fun to talk about Big XII basketball with out you...

And you can rest asure I will never interrupt you while you have Saul balls deep either...

Actually your Coach did call you guys out last night on FSN after the game. Questioning the crowd and lack of student attendance.

So was yours the A+++++++++++++++++++ game thing then?

Did you watch any of the ISU/CO game last night?

Lzen; I promised. I'm breaking it.

Sheerun, your obsession is duly noted. And we KSU fans thank you for intently watching our game last night.
The attendance was 12,600. About 1k from a full house. I like it that Huggs want the place full.

And reerun. Try to be funny. If you rehash what I write - like you do do often - it's ...well.... it's weak. So try to be funny. I only explain this because the people in this thread deserve better.

K? Say hello Schillinger... I mean skip.

Skip Towne
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
wow.
Self has lost to 3 mid majors and DePaul in an 18 month period. Unacceptable.

Skip Towne
01-18-2007, 01:03 PM

xxoo

Don't you have some cowshit to shovel, William?

Reerun_KC
01-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Sheerun, your obsession is duly noted. And we KSU fans thank you for intently watching our game last night.
The attendance was 12,600. About 1k from a full house. I like it that Huggs want the place full.

And reerun. Try to be funny. If you rehash what I write - like you do do often - it's ...well.... it's weak. So try to be funny. I only explain this because the people in this thread deserve better.

Sheerun? That is great little bill, your attempt at creativity or lack there of is quite amusing. I am sure with a degree from SiloTech you would/could be alittle more creative than that.

Rehashing what you write? Ah I see, so when you make a degrading sexual comment about someone and they reply with the same bullshit crap back you call that weak? Your right, the poeple of this thread deserve better, so keep the weak crap to yourself...

Besides can you not talk Basketball on a level that doesnt involved name calling and insults?

Was that 12,600 paid or actual attendance? I have read that was paid not actual...

HolyHandgernade
01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I went to KU in the late 80's, was a freshman when the won the whole thing. I think part of the problem, with all due respect to KSU football, that the closest thing Kansas has to a marquee sports team is Jayhawk basketball, and when they don't perceive their team as being the 300 lb gorilla that blows everyone out, they think something is wrong, and its all based on their failed expectations, not necessarily the team's.

Yes, the first round exits have been disappointing. But last year had no real impact seniors on the team, and this year's has absolutely no seniors at all. I don't think most people realize how important they are. When Roy was coach, he really only had one transition point where he didn't have the impact senior holdover, and that was when Paul Pierce left after his junior year. They had to wait until Drew, Nick, and Kirk matured to the point to get that continuity back.

The impact of younger players developing, no matter how much potential they have, is always lessend by experienced upperclass players. Once Self has a few of those, and he still is having the same consistency issues, well then I'll say its a coaching problem. He's got "his" players now, but he hasn't had the time to establish "his" system yet.

Now, another first round exit will be unacceptable, but getting to the Sweet Sixteen shouldn't be seen as a failure. If he does that and then loses, and then KU looks for someone else they are going to ruin this program. Have a bit of patience for crying out loud, my guess is that in three years, people won't fess up to being doubters today.

-HH

Mr. Laz
01-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, the first round exits have been disappointing. But last year had no real impact seniors on the team, and this year's has absolutely no seniors at all. I don't think most people realize how important they are. When Roy was coach, he really only had one transition point where he didn't have the impact senior holdover, and that was when Paul Pierce left after his junior year. They had to wait until Drew, Nick, and Kirk matured to the point to get that continuity back.
Florida won last year with young guys
UNC won the year before with young guys

ROYC75
01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
This KU team is capable of winning it all, ( with young talent ) but only if they play to the top of their talent.

Problem is, they don't always do that........ref: early exits and this years losses.

Tactical Funky
01-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Florida won last year with young guys
UNC won the year before with young guys
True, but such is a flawed argument since youth is usually indicative of tournament inexperience.

I think this year's KU team will go quite deep in the tourney if they really focus on each and every game this season.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
KU will wait til the end to choke.

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 06:49 PM
UNC were not young guys- they were upperclassmen

Skip Towne
01-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Royboy was the "new guy".

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
It was Roy's 2nd year with them, and he had so much talent to work with. Doh def. didn't leave the cupboard empty for him.

DJay23
01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
May, McCants, and Felton were all Juniors I believe. Then wasn't Manuel the only senior? something like that.

Reerun_KC
01-19-2007, 12:38 PM

You posted this about Wednesday game? "The attendance was 12,600. About 1k from a full house. I like it that Huggs want the place full."

then KC star posted this today "Scott, meanwhile, said he understands Huggins’ frustration. The excitement that Huggins brought to the program translated to selling out all season tickets, but it hasn’t equaled full houses. The actual in-house attendance Wednesday was 8,850 (capacity is 13,340).

“We have not had close to capacity by our students at any game this year. It’s disappointing,” Scott said. “We haven’t had a full house outside of the opener. There’s not much we can do about it. We’ve got to make it (men’s basketball) a thing to do again, and I think we’re going to do that.”

Your numbers are alittle off. Since you know you are all knowing and can only make fun of peoples username and retarded sexual comments.

I start classes today, so I wont be able to banter back and forth as much.. But thought I would share that little tidbit with you...

Pants
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
You posted this about Wednesday game? "The attendance was 12,600. About 1k from a full house. I like it that Huggs want the place full."

then KC star posted this today "Scott, meanwhile, said he understands Huggins’ frustration. The excitement that Huggins brought to the program translated to selling out all season tickets, but it hasn’t equaled full houses. The actual in-house attendance Wednesday was 8,850 (capacity is 13,340).

“We have not had close to capacity by our students at any game this year. It’s disappointing,” Scott said. “We haven’t had a full house outside of the opener. There’s not much we can do about it. We’ve got to make it (men’s basketball) a thing to do again, and I think we’re going to do that.”

Your numbers are alittle off. Since you know you are all knowing and can only make fun of peoples username and retarded sexual comments.

I start classes today, so I wont be able to banter back and forth as much.. But thought I would share that little tidbit with you...

lawl

WilliamTheIrish
01-19-2007, 09:07 PM

1) Once again, Reerun, I wouldn't come in this nice happy thread that Lzen posted if you hadn't been such a dimwit. If you feel the need to discuss KU basketball with me, a KSU fan, start a thread of it's own, and we'll have a donnybrook every day.

That way I won't embarrass you in front of everybody. ( That's a joke)

2) Re: attendance. I read the box score online (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200701170288) . It said 12,600. Apparently that was tickets sold. Actual attendance was in fact 8850. Like I said, it'll fill up.

3) Good luck on the GED. (I'm kidding)

Skip Towne
01-19-2007, 09:24 PM
1) Once again, Reerun, I wouldn't come in this nice happy thread that Lzen posted if you hadn't been such a dimwit. If you feel the need to discuss KU basketball with me, a KSU fan, start a thread of it's own, and we'll have a donnybrook every day.

That way I won't embarrass you in front of everybody. ( That's a joke)

2) Re: attendance. I read the box score online (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200701170288) . It said 12,600. Apparently that was tickets sold. Actual attendance was in fact 8850. Like I said, it'll fill up.

3) Good luck on the GED. (I'm kidding)
Shut up, William.

Brock
01-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Actual attendance was in fact 8850. Like I said, it'll fill up. )

Until then, don't call it Huggieville.

Skip Towne
01-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Until then, don't call it Huggieville.
Wouldn't you think you could fill your arena after you destroyed your integrity to do so? I'll bet all of those schools that passed on Huggy are laughing.

WilliamTheIrish
01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't you think you could fill your arena after you destroyed your integrity to do so? I'll bet all of those schools that passed on Huggy are laughing.

Not necessarily. After KU hired a high profile coach, it took three years before KU became a consistent sell out.

I guess I should be more specific. Before Kansas basketball became a consistent sellout.

Saulbadguy
01-20-2007, 11:32 AM
We are the only ones in this area that paid attendance AND actual attendance. I don't know why others (Pro and College) refuse to do that? When they say Arrowhead and Allen Field House sell out, there are still plenty of empties. I imagine the Royals do the same thing.