PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here remember Kansas City's own...

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
The Rainmakers

Wow someone had a hell of a collection and added them to Youtube,I put a few more in post #75.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEygsTqB4VA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEygsTqB4VA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Now I see why I never liked them.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
I liked The Front much better.

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Now I see why I never liked them.

Not every band can be as great as Rush :rolleyes:

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Not every band can be as great as Rush :rolleyes:

How true is that-lol I wasn't trying to Rain on your parade-har har. I just could never get into them. The KC band The Front was so much better, but never got its due.

plbrdude
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM
weren't the 80's great?

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
How true is that-lol I wasn't trying to Rain on your parade-har har. I just could never get into them. The KC band The Front was so much better, but never got its due.

I've always said to each their own but IMHO Bob Walkenhorst is one of the best lyricist ever.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I've always said to each their own but IMHO Bob Walkenhorst is one of the best lyricist ever.

I guess you havn't read the lyrics to "Because I got High" ROFL

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 09:46 PM
or Fax's Meatpeeker poem/

ZepSinger
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM

I did a couple of shows with them in '84 when they were Steve Bob and Rich. Bob was a pretty cool guy. He used to like a tune I wrote called 'Just Like Me'. That was a compliment coming from him, he's a heck of a songwriter....

Z

DJJasonp
01-18-2007, 10:00 PM
They werent bad....

How bout another local (semi-local) band from the mid 90's...Stick

Anyone remember them? They were great live.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
They were great.

Another band from around that time: Shooting Star?

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:08 PM
They werent bad....

How bout another local (semi-local) band from the mid 90's...Stick

Anyone remember them? They were great live.

I remember a movie called Stick with Burt Reynolds. A real Classic.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
They were great.

Shooting Star rocks-I still listen to their Greatest Hits now and again.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Don't forget
Missouri Or Kansas.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
How 'bout Molly McGuire? They were a rockin' good band back then.

The Salty Iquanas

L.A. Ramblers

Baghdad Jones

were all great local bands back then

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:23 PM
TOXIN- from Independence. Those guys rocked. If you missed the New Years show in Kim's parents garage-you missed Rock and Roll History!

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
The band RIFF RAFF were pretty good guys that played around here. The lead singer and I had several classes together and were pretty good friends. I caught a lot of their shows.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
The band RIFF RAFF were pretty good guys that played around here.

Ahem...that's what everyone called me while growing up in KC. :harumph:

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Ahem...that's what everyone called me while growing up in KC. :harumph:

I think they might have got the name off of the villian on Underdog-but it might have been you? :hmmm:

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Strict9 is a great local band from Independence too.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
London Calling-used to put on a good show-changed to London Drive-then London. Half the guys were in another cover band for awhile that was pretty bad.

Dartgod
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
They were great.

Shooting Star was great. If not for some bad management, they would have been a national hit band.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Shooting Star was great. If not for some bad management, they would have been a national hit band.

Yea, i remember them....they did have a commercial sound to them.

cdcox
01-18-2007, 10:47 PM
They were great.

Anectdote #1: Before you posted this, I started seaching for Shooting Star on YouTube. Finally found the KC group on page 6. Then in"Related' videos, I find a video "chiefs football preview 2007" by our very own shyguyms. Click on that one, and in the "Related" videos are submissions by OldTownChief and Iowanian. Small internet.

Anectdote #2. My wife and I went to go see Shooting Star in Columbia, MO on the night John Lennon was shot.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Anectdote #1: Before you posted this, I started seaching for Shooting Star on YouTube.

I found this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HArpTG0UynE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HArpTG0UynE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
01-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I found this:

Nice 80's hair metal sound...

cdcox
01-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I found this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HArpTG0UynE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HArpTG0UynE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's the one I found. I remember them being better than jaehb. I was wrong, apparently.

DJJasonp
01-18-2007, 11:11 PM
I found a live video of Stick in Wichita on You Tube....will attempt to post correctly....

They obviously had some Stone Temple Pilots influence....but they were pretty good live...saw them at the Bottleneck and Grand Emporium back in the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfj2B4Vw1s0

Megbert
01-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I saw them at Memorial Hall in 89 or 90 great show. have some of their stuff on vinyl

Megbert
01-18-2007, 11:33 PM
I found a live video of Stick in Wichita on You Tube....will attempt to post correctly....

They obviously had some Stone Temple Pilots influence....but they were pretty good live...saw them at the Bottleneck and Grand Emporium back in the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfj2B4Vw1s0
Stick had members of Kill Whitey. I saw them at the Lonestar

ZepSinger
01-18-2007, 11:40 PM
London Calling-used to put on a good show-changed to London Drive-then London. Half the guys were in another cover band for awhile that was pretty bad.

These guys were playing the same clubs that my band (Big Richard) was playing- we're talking early 90's. Lone Star, Backstage, Centerstage...ah, the memories....
:rockon: :toast: :BLVD: :hump: :Lin:

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 11:53 PM
They were great.

Saw them many times,even catered one of their shows.Last Chance was a great song especially live.

One of the members(can't remember which)had a brother in the band Missouri.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 11:53 PM
:hmmm: Big Richard sounds familar. I have seen a lot a bands at Lone Star so I might have actually seen you guys before. I can't remember for sure because I have also drank a lot of beer at Lone Star.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Rap is the biggest thing out of KC now days.

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 11:58 PM
I did a couple of shows with them in '84 when they were Steve Bob and Rich. Bob was a pretty cool guy. He used to like a tune I wrote called 'Just Like Me'. That was a compliment coming from him, he's a heck of a songwriter....

Z

Bob still plays in Old Westport on Wednesday nights(I believe the name of the place is now called The Record Bar)or something similar.He does alot of old Rainmakers tunes only acoustic.

As for songwriting,never been much better,the part from Rockin' At The T-Dance about the Hyatt tragedy still gets me and of course that classic line,"The generation that would change the world is still lookin' for its car keys."

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2007, 11:59 PM

They WERE a national band (whatever that's supposed to mean). They were signed to Virgin Records. Their second record, Hang On For Your Life, sold over 500,000 copies, which is a gold record. Their subsequent releases weren't nearly as strong and Virgin dropped them.

They got incredibly lucky and signed to Geffen Records in 1984. This could have been absolutely HUGE for them because Geffen was known as the best record label in the world at the time. Geffen believed in them so much that he hired Ron Nevison to produce their record. Who was Nevison? Well, besides engineering records for bands like Led Zeppelin, he also had three of the top five selling albums in the 80's. Heart, Ozzy's Ulitmate Sin and Survivor's HUGE album, Vital Signs.

So what happened? The guitar player thought he knew everything in the world and fought constantly with the producer. The record was ho-hum and after touring with Heart, the band was dropped. A few years later, they signed with Enigma Records (distributed through Capitol) and had one semi-hit single with some decent MTV airplay, but Enigma folded before a new album could be recorded. Their subsequent releases were DIY. No labels.

It's too bad. The were a bunch of nice guys, especially the second version of the band.

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Saw them many times,even catered one of their shows.Last Chance was a great song especially live.

One of the members(can't remember which)had a brother in the band Missouri.

Gary West was in Shooting Star, Ron West was in Missouri.

Nzoner
01-19-2007, 12:03 AM
The record was ho-hum and after touring with Heart, the band was dropped.

I'd forgotten about that,I saw that tour at Municipal Auditorium,still have the concert stub.

Nzoner
01-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I can't find the original article about The Rainmakers but this one touches on the facts about how big they were in Europe and that Stephen King even used their lyrics in two of his novels.

Their debut album was heralded by Rolling Stone Magazine. Stephen King quoted lyrics in two books. Newsday, USA Today and Newsweek hopped aboard, loving the Midwest band fronted by the quirky top-hatted singer with the even quirkier voice and lyrics that touched upon Johnny Rebs, Harry Truman and Moses.

The band had videos on MTV, tours with Big Country, Berlin and Kansas - they even crossed over in the European market and headlined to a crowd of 80,000 at a festival in Denmark.

But after the band's third album, "The Good News and the Bad News," Walkenhorst had to take some time for reflection.

"That third album was tough to make and I think some of the frustrations came out in the music," Walkenhorst said. "Here I was doing all these things that we worked so hard to achieve - playing music and touring and everything that goes with it - and I just wasn't enjoying it."

In fact, it was downright tiresome.

Complete article here (http://www.thex.info/stories/0504/0504005.shtml)

kc rush
01-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Bob still plays in Old Westport on Wednesday nights(I believe the name of the place is now called The Record Bar)or something similar.He does alot of old Rainmakers tunes only acoustic.

As for songwriting,never been much better,the part from Rockin' At The T-Dance about the Hyatt tragedy still gets me and of course that classic line,"The generation that would change the world is still lookin' for its car keys."

I need to get out to one of those shows. I'll agree with you that he is a great lyricist, full of wit.

The RM had a signing at Streetside in Westport to launch their Skin album. They played a few songs acoustically and Long Gone Long choked me up - amazing when played that way.

Check out The Beginner by Bob, its good stuff.

Nzoner
01-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I need to get out to one of those shows. I'll agree with you that he is a great lyricist, full of wit.

The RM had a signing at Streetside in Westport to launch their Skin album. They played a few songs acoustically and Long Gone Long choked me up - amazing when played that way.

Check out The Beginner by Bob, its good stuff.

Let me know when you're going I've got a friend that's been wanting to go,we'll head down and have a few beers.

As for The Beginner,I've heard Life Can Turn and am looking forward to getting it.

kc rush
01-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Let me know when you're going I've got a friend that's been wanting to go,we'll head down and have a few beers.

As for The Beginner,I've heard Life Can Turn and am looking forward to getting it.

Life Can Turn and the song The Beginner are the two best on the disk.

Eric
01-19-2007, 01:44 AM
I have rainmakers cassette somewhere.

ZepSinger
01-19-2007, 06:10 AM
:hmmm: Big Richard sounds familar. I have seen a lot a bands at Lone Star so I might have actually seen you guys before. I can't remember for sure because I have also drank a lot of beer at Lone Star.

You probably did. We were on a 6-week rotation there most of the time between 1990-1993. And I don't know if you ever checked out Jam Night at the Backstage, but we hosted it for over a year...

Z

Dartgod
01-19-2007, 07:56 AM
They WERE a national band (whatever that's supposed to mean). They were signed to Virgin Records. Their second record, Hang On For Your Life, sold over 500,000 copies, which is a gold record. Their subsequent releases weren't nearly as strong and Virgin dropped them.

They got incredibly lucky and signed to Geffen Records in 1984. This could have been absolutely HUGE for them because Geffen was known as the best record label in the world at the time. Geffen believed in them so much that he hired Ron Nevison to produce their record. Who was Nevison? Well, besides engineering records for bands like Led Zeppelin, he also had three of the top five selling albums in the 80's. Heart, Ozzy's Ulitmate Sin and Survivor's HUGE album, Vital Signs.

So what happened? The guitar player thought he knew everything in the world and fought constantly with the producer. The record was ho-hum and after touring with Heart, the band was dropped. A few years later, they signed with Enigma Records (distributed through Capitol) and had one semi-hit single with some decent MTV airplay, but Enigma folded before a new album could be recorded. Their subsequent releases were DIY. No labels.

It's too bad. The were a bunch of nice guys, especially the second version of the band.
Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part. I realized it after I hit submit, but I was heading off to bed so didn't edit.

What I was trying to say is they had all the talent to achieve much more succeess than they did. But for whatever reason they never peaked in the national spotlight. I've heard it blamed on bad management, but whatever.

Inspector
01-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Strict9 is a great local band from Independence too.
One of my sons was the drummer for them. Wow...that was a long, long time ago....

Inspector
01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
My youngest is the bass in Vedera, another local band.

Looks like they are going to sign with Epic records.

They are alternative rock, female singer. I like 'em, but I guess I would...

gblowfish
01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I was heavily into rock n roll radio back in the late 70's and early 80's.

The Rainmakers were previously known as Steve, Bob and Rich. They still play occasional gigs around KC. Bob Walkenhorst works for a KC Ad Agency, Steve Phillips is in a KC Celtic band called The Elders.

Back in the day there were some excellent local bands who played the college club circuit, including:

Fools' Face (from Springfield)
The Morells (From Springfield)...aka The Skeletons
Ozark Mountain Daredevils (From Springfield)
Brewer & Shipley (From KC)
The Secrets (From KC)
The Bel-Airs (Blues band from KC)

The Bel-Airs still play. Someone mentioned Shooting Star earlier. A good friend of mine used to be their main sound tech. They still play on very rare occasions. Fool's Face went to LA to try and make it big and flamed out. The Morells/Skeletons were fronted by Lou Whitney, a bass player, who's made a great reputation more as a producer for other artists.

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 09:08 AM
If none of you have heard about the KC band:

"Schooled in Victory"

Then get ready to.

They will be the next Puddle of Mud, but alot better

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
If none of you have heard about the KC band:

"Schooled in Victory"

Then get ready to.

They will be the next Puddle of Mud, but alot better

Not likely. Puddle of Mudd (who featured just ONE person from KC, Wes. The rest bailed out of LA long before he signed the Geffen deal with all new members) has sold over 6 million records. The song "Blurry" was ASCAP's song of the year in 2002. Those are both feats that are extremely unlikely to happen to brand new band, especially in today's music world.

Nzoner
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM
The Secrets (From KC)

If memory serves the old KY-102 put out a homegrown album that had The Secrets on it.

Bob Dole
01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I did a couple of shows with them in '84 when they were Steve Bob and Rich.

Bob Dole used to catch every Reve, Stob and Bitch show in Springfield.

Bob Dole
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I was heavily into rock n roll radio back in the late 70's and early 80's.

The Rainmakers were previously known as Steve, Bob and Rich. They still play occasional gigs around KC. Bob Walkenhorst works for a KC Ad Agency, Steve Phillips is in a KC Celtic band called The Elders.

Back in the day there were some excellent local bands who played the college club circuit, including:

Fools' Face (from Springfield)
The Morells (From Springfield)...aka The Skeletons
Ozark Mountain Daredevils (From Springfield)
Brewer & Shipley (From KC)
The Secrets (From KC)
The Bel-Airs (Blues band from KC)

The Bel-Airs still play. Someone mentioned Shooting Star earlier. A good friend of mine used to be their main sound tech. They still play on very rare occasions. Fool's Face went to LA to try and make it big and flamed out. The Morells/Skeletons were fronted by Lou Whitney, a bass player, who's made a great reputation more as a producer for other artists.

The Edge was pretty decent, too.

Bob Dole has a bootleg Fools' Face cassette somewhere. Seems like there's a stupid FF button in a drawer somewhere too.

Ah...the good old days.

ChiefsFanatic
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
The Rainmakers

If so I hope you enjoy,if not check out the lyrics

DOWNSTREAM from The UPTOWN

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEygsTqB4VA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEygsTqB4VA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Not only do I remember them, I have their albums. Maybe I am a geek.

bkkcoh
01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Hell yeah. I grew up near where they started out.... in Norborne, Missouri. IIRC....

Government Cheese was a great song and very true. :banghead:

Nzoner
01-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Agreed,Bob was never one to shy away from controversial topics.I think one of my other top songs would have to be Information about all the gossip etc and then to hit it home with,"thanks but no thanks for the information 'cause informations got your number too."

Do you know your daughter well and do you know she's dreaming
Do you know your daughter well, talk to her soon
Do you know your daughter well and do you know she's dreaming
You know as well as I she stays higher than the moon

And do you know your sister well and did you know she's drinking
Do you know your sister well, talk to her soon
Do you know your sister well, you know I think she's losing
You know as well as I she stays higher than the moon

Thanks for the information
Thanks but no thanks for the information
Thanks but no thanks for the information
'Cause information's got your number too

And do you know your brother well and the company he's keeping
Do you know your brother well, talk to him tonight
Do you know your brother well, he's very very strange they tell
Probably he'll go to hell unless you steer him right

CHORUS

Well yes I know my daughter well and yes I know she's dreaming
Yes I know my sister well, that's the way it goes
I know my sister all too well, yes I know she's drinking
How do I bitch at her for something she already knows?

And yes I know my brother well and the company he's keeping
Yes I know my brother well, he sings a different tune
Yes I know my brother well, I've heard it said he's queer as hell
Pray that he's in love as well, higher than the moon

CHORUS

Pitt Gorilla
01-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I found this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HArpTG0UynE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HArpTG0UynE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>Wow, that was terrible.

bkkcoh
01-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Hell yeah. I grew up near where they started out.... in Norborne, Missouri. IIRC....

The quality isn't the best, but the lyrics are what is good in this song :toast:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZVPv9B-ZlM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZVPv9B-ZlM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Halfcan
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Not likely. Puddle of Mudd (who featured just ONE person from KC, Wes. The rest bailed out of LA long before he signed the Geffen deal with all new members) has sold over 6 million records. The song "Blurry" was ASCAP's song of the year in 2002. Those are both feats that are extremely unlikely to happen to brand new band, especially in today's music world.

I saw Puddle several times. Some friends of mine were friends with the band. Pretty cool guys, I partied with them on many occasions. They were always okay playing wise-but was shocked when they hit it big.

Halfcan
01-19-2007, 03:08 PM
One of my sons was the drummer for them. Wow...that was a long, long time ago....

I was friends with the guitarist sister. They were supposed to open for my band Toxin one time, but it all fell through. They were a pretty solid group.

Bob Dole
01-20-2007, 04:27 AM
I was friends with the guitarist sister. They were supposed to open for my band Toxin one time, but it all fell through. They were a pretty solid group.

Toxin?

Was that a Rush tribute band?

elvomito
01-20-2007, 05:52 AM
interesting fact: shooting star still has a concert every year in Puerto Rico.
for some reason they are really loved down there
also, one of the band members is a real estate developer and another one is an appraiser

headsnap
01-20-2007, 06:06 AM
They still play Last Chance on Louisville rock radio.

headsnap
01-20-2007, 06:07 AM
BTW, I have every Rainmakers CD and they are on regular rotation on my iPod.

their music ages well...

cdcox
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
If memory serves the old KY-102 put out a homegrown album that had The Secrets on it.

I had that album. Might still have it. According to the internet here were the bands on that album:

Rudy Passonno, Chaser, U.S. Steal, Fields, Alchemy,Pedestrian, Secrets, The Clocks, Moffett-Beers, David Hale

Nzoner
01-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I had that album. Might still have it. According to the internet here were the bands on that album:

Rudy Passonno, Chaser, U.S. Steal, Fields, Alchemy,Pedestrian, Secrets, The Clocks, Moffett-Beers, David Hale

This probably sounds crazy but for some reason I only recall one tune from that album,don't recall the band but the lyrics went something like....

Late one day
in the middle of the night
two dead boys
got up to fight

then something about

drew their guns
and stabbed each other???

Any of that ring a bell?

headsnap
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM
This probably sounds crazy but for some reason I only recall one tune from that album,don't recall the band but the lyrics went something like....

Late one day
two dead boys
got up to fight

back to back
they faced one another

drew their guns

Any of that ring a bell?

fixed it!

ROFL

I was just going to post those lyrics!!!!

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I saw Puddle several times. Some friends of mine were friends with the band. Pretty cool guys, I partied with them on many occasions. They were always okay playing wise-but was shocked when they hit it big.

"They" didn't hit it big. Only Wes. The rest were all LA guys. The first record did very well, the second, not so much. The second album that was released wasn't even the first version - it got rejected because Geffen thought it sucked. They been working on a follow-up for years but in the meantime, they've been playing shows in Vegas.

That doesn't bode well for their future.

Nzoner
01-20-2007, 12:24 PM
fixed it!

ROFL

I was just going to post those lyrics!!!!

"Help I'm stepping into the twilight zone
Place is a madhouse feels like being cloned."

cdcox
01-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Late one day
two dead boys
got up to fight

then something about

drew their guns

Any of that ring a bell?

That was the Rudy Passonno tune "Dead Boys". A little googling reveals that those words are some kind of English folk poem, not original to the artist.

I just found my old copy of this LP. It's going on the turntable. If something jogs my memory, I'll post it.

cdcox
01-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm sure many of the old-timers will remember the Secret's song "Uniform"

You've got to put on your Uniform
You gotta do it till you drop
For your school and your Mom
You gott do ti till it's over
So put on your Uniform

cdcox
01-20-2007, 01:26 PM
The Clock's "She Looks a Like You" is familiar. Vocals and the tempo sound like The Cars, with lots of synthesizers.

Nzoner
01-20-2007, 04:44 PM
The Clock's "She Looks a Like You" is familiar. Vocals and the tempo sound like The Cars, with lots of synthesizers.

As soon as I read the title I remembered that one.

Nzoner
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Youtube has a good selection now

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDRmizz_RJE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDRmizz_RJE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMnnPI5GUps"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMnnPI5GUps" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qMh9E1JnzBA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qMh9E1JnzBA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Hgl4VvcHU4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Hgl4VvcHU4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFcdharB0TA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFcdharB0TA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rF4_A3zhag"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rF4_A3zhag" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytxOqKmHOVA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytxOqKmHOVA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

plbrdude
02-25-2007, 05:25 PM

i remember them. used to love that one song they did. "19"

Mr. Kotter
02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
They were great.

Loved them both. They both kicked azz. :thumb:

C-Mac
02-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sure many of the old-timers will remember the Secret's song "Uniform"

You gotta do it till you drop
For your school and your Mom
You gott do ti till it's over
So put on your Uniform

Yes I sure do. I used to be in concert productions back in the early 80's and set many of these bands up in local bars and small concert halls. This was during the time Steve Walsh broke away from Kansas and did a couple of solo albums. I've booked in concert groups like Missouri, Secrets, Steve Walsh, Michael Bolton(when he toured with Bob Seger), Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Johnny Van Zant. Never booked Shooting Star but they were one of my favorite all time bands. Did book a area band called Donnie and the Rock in which the lead guitarist was from Shooting Star.

Nzoner
02-25-2007, 07:49 PM
This was during the time Steve Walsh broke away from Kansas and did a couple of solo albums.

Schemer Dreamer was a great album.

kc rush
02-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Youtube has a good selection now

Awesome. I especially loved seeing that old version of Big Fat Blond.

Looking forward to catching Bob's show in a couple weeks.

Nzoner
02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Awesome. I especially loved seeing that old version of Big Fat Blond.

Looking forward to catching Bob's show in a couple weeks.

I never seen them when they were Steve Bob and Rich,that was a rare video for me indeed.

I'm looking forward to the show as well.

ROYC75
02-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey Joe, Another band with some KC area ties was Head East, You remember them ? One of my favorite grops as a kid growing up......... The " Flat As A Pancake album " was cool back in the 70's.

http://www.head-east.com/

Nzoner
02-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Joe, Another band with some KC area ties was Head East, You remember them ? One of my favorite grops as a kid growing up......... The " Flat As A Pancake album " was cool back in the 70's.

http://www.head-east.com/

I remember them but don't recall the KC ties,saw them in concert twice,in fact their live project was recorded here and I believe Springfield.

Little tidbit if you didn't know the original lead singer John Schilt(sp?) went on to be frontman for the Christian rock band Petra and did some solo Christian music work as well.

ROYC75
02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I remember them but don't recall the KC ties,saw them in concert twice,in fact their live project was recorded here and I believe Springfield.

Little tidbit if you didn't know the original lead singer John Schilt(sp?) went on to be frontman for the Christian rock band Petra and did some solo Christian music work as well.

The original members do not, but the current members have 3 guys that have KC ties.

Nzoner
02-26-2007, 09:13 AM
The original members do not, but the current members have 3 guys that have KC ties.

That explains it then,I'm not much for keeping up with bands that are a former shell of the original.

ROYC75
02-26-2007, 09:19 AM
That explains it then,I'm not much for keeping up with bands that are a former shell of the original.

I have a buddy who has seen them in the St Louis area recently that said they carry the sounds well of the original group.

Roger Boyd, the founder is still with the band. Three of the 4 other members have KC ties.

C-Mac
02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Schemer Dreamer was a great album.

Twas for sure:thumb:
Wish I could find either or both of his albums on CD.

Nzoner
02-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Twas for sure:thumb:
Wish I could find either or both of his albums on CD.

I have Schemer Dreamer on cd and a couple of songs from a 2000 release he did downloaded.I don't have any of his Streets work though.

I'd be happy to make you a copy.

Nzoner
08-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Since Bob is playing in St. Joe tonight thought I'd bump this and post a few new recent videos of him.

Jan Vemeer(tune starts about 1 minute in)

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxWzgKTe4wM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

(Give It Up For) Buck O'Neil

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kr-PyQuoqek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

CosmicPal
08-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Sad thing is, KC had a lot of great local bands at that time. A few of them very deserving of national attention, but for whatever reason, didn't garner it.

ChiefJustice
08-17-2008, 03:05 AM
The Psychowelders were much better IMHO.

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Sad thing is, KC had a lot of great local bands at that time. A few of them very deserving of national attention, but for whatever reason, didn't garner it.

No offense but I think you answered your own question.

ChiefJustice
08-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Any love for "The Sin City Disciples" or "John Dillon and the Rob-Roys"