PDA

View Full Version : Toyota to recall 533,000 SUVs, trucks

recxjake
01-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Toyota to recall 533,000 SUVs, trucks
Automaker says 11 accidents were reported because of a defect that makes Sequoia, Tundra difficult to steer.
TOKYO (Reuters) -- Toyota Motor Corp. plans to recall about 533,000 Sequoia SUVs and Tundra pickup trucks in the United States to repair faulty components that could make the vehicles difficult to steer.

Six injuries and 11 accidents were reported as a result of the defect, Japan's top automaker said Friday.

Toyota, on its way to becoming the world's biggest auto maker ahead of General Motors Corp., has vowed to step up its quality efforts after a rise in vehicle recalls and increased scrutiny from Japanese media over quality issues.

The latest recall covers certain 2004 to 2007 model year Sequoias and 2004 to 2006 model year Tundras, both built at Toyota's Indiana plant, the automaker's U.S. sales unit said in a statement.

Toyota as a policy does not disclose estimated recall costs. A spokesman said the automaker has funds reserved against quality costs at all times and expects no impact on its earnings.

Toyota last year recalled more than a million vehicles in Japan and 760,000 units in the United States, but the publicity has done little to hurt it. Toyota boosted its global sales by 9 percent in 2006, fueled largely by a 13 percent jump in sales in the United States.

Toyota and its premium Lexus brand are perennial outperformers in the closely watched J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey in the United States, although the Toyota brand ranked second among non-premium brands in 2006, behind South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co.

"Toyota has a lot of goodwill built up," said Christopher Richter, an auto analyst at CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, adding that recall numbers would naturally rise with an increase in vehicles sold.

Recalls have also been on the rise across the industry as car makers use common components on various models to save costs. The Tundra and Sequoia, both of which are due for a full remodeling, share most of the same components.

Toyota will notify owners starting in mid-February and repair the defective front suspension lower ball joints free of charge.

Chief Chief
01-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Toyota will notify owners starting in mid-February and repair the defective front suspension lower ball joints free of charge.

"..mid-February.."??? Of what year?

Simplex3
01-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Jeezus f**king Christ. Isn't there some car related board you can spam this s**t onto?

Bowser
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Jeezus f**king Christ. Isn't there some car related board you can spam this s**t onto?

On a somewhat related note, I've heard that Bill Woods Ford in the Northland is closing. My mom said she can't remember there never being a Bill Woods.

recxjake
01-19-2007, 12:24 PM

It's not spam, I'm letting people know about a car recall, and I'm sure people on this board have one of these.....

I didn't say anything bad about toyota, or good about GM... just info

RedDread
01-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I challenge you not to post any car related stories for the rest of the time you're on the board.

Ready? GO!

Pants
01-19-2007, 12:26 PM
It's not spam, I'm letting people know about a car recall, and I'm sure people on this board have one of these.....

How come I've never seen you post GM recalls?

StcChief
01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Toyota trucks built in Indiana... :hmmm:

GM doesn't recall unless absolutely necessary with arm twisting, or way too many deaths/law suites. F GM.

at least Toyota man's up on it's problems and is in continious improvement process.

recxjake
01-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Toyota trucks built in Indiana... :hmmm:

GM doesn't recall unless absolutely necessary with arm twisting, or way too many deaths/law suites. F GM.

at least Toyota man's up on it's problems and is in continious improvement process.

uhh no

DaneMcCloud
01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
BREAKING NEWS: GM RECALLS RECXJAKE. DETAILS TO FOLLOW.

sedated
01-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd still take one over any GM product

StcChief
01-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I'd still take one over any GM product
What he said. F GM.

GM would be better off just making a Corvette, Fullsize Truck.
the rest isn't worth owning.

Pants
01-19-2007, 12:54 PM
What he said. F GM.

Yeah, **** GM.

Simplex3
01-19-2007, 12:55 PM

No, it is spam and we all know your motives.

Donger
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.gmsucks.net/

Eleazar
01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
On a somewhat related note, I've heard that Bill Woods Ford in the Northland is closing. My mom said she can't remember there never being a Bill Woods.

I just drove by there today, and I didn't see any signs of closing, although I wasn't looking too close.

Delano
01-19-2007, 01:12 PM
...Toyota, on its way to becoming the world's biggest auto maker ahead of General Motors Corp...

That prediction has to hurt ol' recxjake. GM as number two.

Donger
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
GM as number two.

They've been that since the 1980s.

recxjake
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.mycarsucks.com/rants/toyota/MyToyotaSucks.htm

sedated
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM

your a douche

recxjake
01-19-2007, 01:22 PM
your a douche

your a stoner

Lzen
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with posting about a recall. Of course, I doubt jake posts about GM recalls. So, I'll tell ya about my personal experience. My GM that I used to own(95 Buick Skylark) had a recall that I had to take to the dealership to get fixed. Seems they had some issues with some component causing the car to catch fire. So as you can see, GM has their own recall/safety issues to deal with.

AndChiefs
01-19-2007, 04:13 PM
1985 Toyota Corolla
It just won't roll over and die! For crying out loud it's 18 years old and starts the first try on -50 degree Minnesota mornings without being plugged in or started all night long! Granted, it stalls sometimes when I try to take off and I have to choose between defrost or heat. Oh, and sometimes the driver's door lock sticks in the locked position so I have to crawl over through the passenger side.
Kristin S.

Yeah that's a terrible problem to have.

sedated
01-19-2007, 04:29 PM
your a stoner

thanks, Isaac Newton

Otter
01-19-2007, 04:54 PM
If you look at the stats from 1990 to 2007 the number of recalls issued by Toyota as compared to GM vehicles is like comparing Chiefs Super Bowl Victories to New York Yankees World Series Victories.

http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_recalls/auto_recalls.asp

The sooner you accept that GM isn't capable of building a quality product the sooner you can move past this little hurdle you've built for yourself.

NJ Chief Fan
01-19-2007, 05:56 PM
GM SUCKS!

CrazyHorse
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
You people really dont know shit about the auto industry.

It's like a bunch of guys hanging out at a Star Trek convention talking about pussy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
You people really dont know shit about the auto industry.

It's like a bunch of guys hanging out at a Star Trek convention talking about pussy.

Or a bunch of guys like you talking about front teeth?

Deberg_1990
01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Toyota could have 100 recalls this year and still be a million times better than GM.

**** GM

DomerNKC
01-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I dropped $500 plus on my 2005 malibu last weekend. Rear brakes and had to replace a tierod. Once I am not upside down in this piece of crap, i will be a former GM owner for the rest of my life. I got suckered into buying a GM with the "GM has improved their quality" BS sales pitch. TOYOTA, Honda, and Nissan from here to the grave for me.

CrazyHorse
01-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Or a bunch of guys like you talking about front teeth?

You got me there....Worf.

NewChief
01-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the post. Now I know I have nothing to worry about with my 2002 Tundra, and I know to get a 2007 or newer for my next one. Keep up the good work!