PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock wants to keep focus on the game, not the race of the coaches

shaneo69
01-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Coaches make dream matchup
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

In the minutes after Peyton Manning answered his critics, Indianapolis advanced to the Super Bowl, and the Colts and Patriots completed a playoff classic, Tony Dungy said he didn’t want to talk about the overriding story of Super Bowl XLI.

Dungy, perhaps the classiest coach in professional sports, is right.

Today we should focus on the breathtaking comeback Manning engineered, the wild ride the Patriots and Colts took us on and the joy football fans in Naptown must be feeling.

Indy’s 38-34 victory in the AFC championship game is worth reliving and relishing. The Colts rallied from a 21-3 hole, two offensive linemen and one defensive lineman scored TDs, and Manning and Tom Brady exchanged haymakers throughout the fourth quarter. It was Ali vs. Frazier, and the Colts landed the final blow, intercepting Brady at the Indy 35.

We should leave Tony Dungy vs. Lovie Smith in Super Bowl XLI for another day.

But I can’t do it. This is a historic moment in sports, a moment that is bigger than the game.

Two African-Americans, Dungy and Smith, will lead the teams in America’s biggest sporting event. No black head coach has ever won a Super Bowl. No black head coach has ever advanced to the Super Bowl. Now there are two in the same game.

This is significant, and it says something about America. Something that needs to be repeated and shouted from the rooftops. America, while not perfect, is the land of opportunity.

We get so caught up in stating what’s wrong with America that we sometimes forget to talk about what’s right.

Dungy and Smith, the coach of the NFC champion Bears, prove that African-Americans can accomplish whatever they set their mind to in America.

Is racism still a problem in America? Yes.

But it’s inappropriate to tell kids that America is so governed by racism that a black man or woman can’t reach the highest level of professional success. Too many African-Americans have spent so much time using racism as an excuse for failure that we’ve failed to point out to black children just how much opportunity is out there waiting on them to grab it.

Dungy and Smith were unafraid to reach for the American Dream, unafraid to sacrifice for the American Dream, unafraid to help each other along the way.

This is a beautiful story that needs to be repeated and shouted from rooftops.

Dungy was born to educators in Jackson, Mich. He was a star quarterback in high school and at the University of Minnesota. He was twice MVP of the Gophers. Partly because of the NFL’s reluctance to embrace African-American quarterbacks in the 1970s, Dungy entered the NFL as an undrafted free-agent safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Racism threw Dungy a roadblock. He sidestepped it and became a starter on a Steelers’ Super Bowl team. When his career ended, he set his sights on becoming an NFL head coach. He paid his dues as an assistant at Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Minnesota and landed a head-coaching assignment at age 41 with the sad-sack Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

By perfecting his Cover 2 defensive scheme, Dungy turned the Bucs into winners, a team that constantly knocked at the Super Bowl’s door. While in Tampa, he also taught Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards the principles and philosophies that would one day make them fine NFL head coaches.

After six seasons, as pro teams are prone to do, the Bucs fired Dungy, and the Colts quickly snapped him up.

Despite several playoff disappointments, Indy’s ownership remained loyal to the most beloved head coach in professional sports. Indy general manager Bill Polian and team owner Jim Irsay helped Dungy weather the suicide of his son last season.

Their faith in Dungy was rewarded on Sunday when the Colts sneaked past New England.

America is far from perfect. But America has made great progress along black-white racial lines. We need to shout that reality as loudly as we shout the injustice reality. Kids need to hear it long after Super Bowl XLI is over.

To reach Jason Whitlock, call (816) 234-4869 or send e-mail to jwhitlock@kcstar.com.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Whitlock is full of sh*t....

I am sick of people crying race, either you can do the job or not! I dont give a ratass if your black, white, green or purple. Just do you ****ing job and stop crying race because you are a lazy mother****er!

jspchief
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Too bad Whitlock likes to pull the race card himself. It exposes this article for the hypocritical trash that it is.

shaneo69
01-22-2007, 10:00 AM
I haven't seen the African-American community this giddy since O.J. got acquitted.

chagrin
01-22-2007, 10:01 AM
You know I was wondering about this earlier, I am an American and yes my family were "immigrants" 200 years ago, from Scotland, Switzerland, France (I know, I hate that) and even some English, I am not however a scot-swiss-french-english American.

While I think it is important to see two Black AMERICAN head coaches, I wish we could dispense with the Bull about where they may or may not have originated from? It's possible that these two guys actually descend from people that were born here in America and raised here in America.

It is a shame that we can't be proud to be Americans, when Fidel dies I hope everyone leaves Florida for Cuba, but we know that won't happen.

In short people, America is not Deep Space Nine, being an American means something and it isn't always about a political statement.

HonestChieffan
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
If Whitlock were a real black it would be important. Hes just playing us.

CosmicPal
01-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Is racism still a problem in America? Yes.

No, racism isn't a problem in America.

Colored people are no longer considered colored people except to the colored people.

crazycoffey
01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Whitlock is full of sh*t....

I am sick of people crying race, either you can do the job or not! I dont give a ratass if your black, white, green or purple. Just do you ****ing job and stop crying race because you are a lazy mother****er!

Oh, CRAP!!!!

The world must be ending, I have to agree with Reerun.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Pulling the race card in any context is supporting the idea that there are differences between the races.

That being said, if it has some historical significance, which in this case there is, than some hommage can be paid to this fact.

BUT

I like Tony's answer, he's right, make the comment, talk about how signifacant it is, and then let it rest, and remember it's not the main event.

crazycoffey
01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
No, racism isn't a problem in America.

Colored people are no longer considered colored people except to the colored people.

Agreed, if a black says the "N" word, nothing wrong, if a white person does, it's racism, no matter what the intent was.

This is stupidity at its finest.

I wasn't on the planet back then, but did the board have some good discussions about the white teacher in an almost all black school who used the "N" word?

That poor kid learned a valuable lesson from that day. Pull the race card and the chips will fall to your lap. No need to really work for anything, if you don't get your way just pull the card and you will.

Another one was the reversal of the law in California requiring a hospital hire so many minority doctors. Within the next year the number of accidental deaths lowered and I commented to some friends at work that it is sad to think that they actually hired because of skin color and not because of skill, and that some of the deaths the prior year were probably related to this law. The black guy at work started yelling at me for being racist. He said I was saying black doctors are bad and not skilled. What a mess that was....

Back on point; I love that racism has reversed, for the most part. I am not naive enough to think that there is no racism in the world or even in America. The south still harbors many backwooders that are living in the 40's and 50's way of thinking.

BUT

We have two great coaches, coaching good teams in the superbowl. They happen to be black, the NFL has proved it is not racist; the best coaches available are being hired and two teams with black coaches made the dance.

Iowanian
01-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I can understand why its mentioned as a historical moment and worthy of mention. Its a good thing.

Part of me wishes it was being treated as an accomplishment of 2 good coaches, because I don't know what skin color has to do with the decisions they make in the film room, in their offices, on the practice fields, in personell meetings and on the sidelines.

For some reason to me, making a huge deal about their skin color is kind of like acting surprised that 2 special olympians special olympians finished 1-2 in the olympic Decathalon.

It would seem less racist to me, to treat it as accomplishment of 2 Men, their staffs, families and players.

On the other hand, if the fact of their race can be used as an example to help minority kids, great.

Hydrae
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I really appreciated the comments at the end of Inside the NFL last week. Cris Carter pointed out that there was a good chance we would have a black head coach in the Super Bowl and what a good thing that would be. Chris Collinsworth responded with an even better comment though. He noted that Shell and Green had been fired and noone has mentioned it as 2 black coaches getting fired. I agree that this is a better indication of racial issues diminishing.

Hammock Parties
01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Herm is half white!!!

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Oh, CRAP!!!!

The world must be ending, I have to agree with Reerun.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Pulling the race card in any context is supporting the idea that there are differences between the races.

That being said, if it has some historical significance, which in this case there is, than some hommage can be paid to this fact.

BUT

I like Tony's answer, he's right, make the comment, talk about how signifacant it is, and then let it rest, and remember it's not the main event.

Has the sky fell?

Phobia
01-22-2007, 11:46 AM
You know I was wondering about this earlier, I am an American and yes my family were "immigrants" 200 years ago, from Scotland, Switzerland, France (I know, I hate that) and even some English, I am not however a scot-swiss-french-english American.

While I think it is important to see two Black AMERICAN head coaches, I wish we could dispense with the Bull about where they may or may not have originated from? It's possible that these two guys actually descend from people that were born here in America and raised here in America.

It is a shame that we can't be proud to be Americans, when Fidel dies I hope everyone leaves Florida for Cuba, but we know that won't happen.

In short people, America is not Deep Space Nine, being an American means something and it isn't always about a political statement.

Obviously the label "African-American" is flawed. However, it's so much better than the other, uglier labels at our disposal. I don't really have a problem with it.

Chief Pote
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
It's funny. I heard that Lovie Smith is one of the lowest paid coaches in the NFL and I didn't think twice that it was because he was black. Just thought it was because he was an unproven coach. All this talk about skin color made me wonder. Racism won't go away because stupid people won't let it.

Extra Point
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
It's about skill, not about color. Don't need to be reminded of the former, sure as S*** don't need to be lectured by the latter.

"Why can't we all just get along?"

greg63
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Whitlock wants to keep focus on the game, not the race of the coaches
Then he should shut up about it.

Demonpenz
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
lets not talk about the races, so I will write an article about it

Extra Point
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
"But I caint help myselp!"

I just hope Al Sharpton doesn't flip the coin before the game. Betty Ford should flip it.

BigRedChief
01-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Obviously the label "African-American" is flawed. However, it's so much better than the other, uglier labels at our disposal. I don't really have a problem with it.
Correct. What should we say? Black Americans? Then call Asian Americans Yellow Americans? Mexican Americans Brown Americans?

Us whiteys have no right to use the "N" word because of its historical context. If African-Americans chose to use that term theirselfs then thats their right. They "own" that word now. No one has a right to use it without their expressed permission.

It is a uptopian view that at this point in our history that such a diverse group with many backgrounds would call theirselfs Americans withour some hommage to where their ancestors hailed from

shaneo69
01-22-2007, 12:18 PM
It's funny. I heard that Lovie Smith is one of the lowest paid coaches in the NFL and I didn't think twice that it was because he was black. Just thought it was because he was an unproven coach. All this talk about skin color made me wonder. Racism won't go away because stupid people won't let it.

He may have been unproven when he first got hired, but he should've gotten (or demanded) a raise by now. Lovie made $1.3 mil this year. Greg Williams made $2.66 mil.

I don't really see anything to celebrate here. The only thing this Super Bowl brings to light for african-american kids is the fact that they may be able to get hired as a HC if they have the talent, but they shouldn't expect to be paid what other (white) coaches get paid.

Sorry Whitlock, but two black coaches making it to the Super Bowl is about as significant for aspiring black children as Bonds breaking McGwire and Ruth's home run records. Zero significance except for the "rub it in whitey's face" factor.

StcChief
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Correct. What should we say? Black Americans? Then call Asian Americans Yellow Americans? Mexican Americans Brown Americans?

Us whiteys have no right to use the "N" word because of its historical context. If African-Americans chose to use that term theirselfs then thats their right. They "own" that word now. No one has a right to use it without their expressed permission.

It is a uptopian view that at this point in our history that such a diverse group with many backgrounds would call theirselfs Americans withour some hommage to where their ancestors hailed from

and what about our heritage from Caucasia. The new minority.

BigRedChief
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Sorry Whitlock, but two black coaches making it to the Super Bowl is about as significant for aspiring black children as Bonds breaking McGwire and Ruth's home run records. Zero significance except for the "rub it in whitey's face" factor.
Not true, Black athletes have been physically performing at the highest level of their profession for a number of years. But they were not in positons of team leadership.

Why did Warren Moon have to go the CFL? Because there was an false assumption that blacks wern't intelligent enough to play QB in the NFL.

Same with head coaches.

Iowanian
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Maybe Lovie has a bad contract, because he had a shitty agent.

Who represents him?

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Maybe Lovie has a bad contract, because he had a shitty agent.

Who represents him?

Probably a white man. Has to be. Only a white man would prevent him from getting a bigger contract...

crazycoffey
01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
JW is dumber than Gretz

greg63
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
lets not talk about the races, so I will write an article about it

Exactly! :clap: