PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Updates

Archie Bunker
01-22-2007, 04:21 PM
From rotoworld

Rutgers FB/H-Back Brian Leonard wants to play tailback in the NFL.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock says Leonard dropped 12 pounds between the season and the Senior Bowl to get fit. The Eagles have already been mentioned as having interest in Leonard as a possible change of pace.

Troy Smith measured in at an even 6-0 at the Senior Bowl.

Many were concerned that Smith might measure 5-11 or even 5-10, so this is a solid height for him as he tries to prove himself first-day worthy.

Louisville DT Amobi Okoye measured in at 6-2/287 at the Senior Bowl.

The 19-year-old was listed in the 300-pound range in college, so the weight is down but he reportedly looked like a rock. A certain first-day pick, Okoye may need to play the three technique early in his pro career.
Source: buffalobills.com

suds79
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Okoye 287? Wow. He'd better look like a rock because that's pretty small for a DT.

This is just personal preference but I like the 330 lb and up DTs. They command double teams, are hard to push back and free up LBers to make plays.

htismaqe
01-22-2007, 05:16 PM
The 19-year-old was listed in the 300-pound range in college, so the weight is down but he reportedly looked like a rock. A certain first-day pick, Okoye may need to play the three technique early in his pro career.

Ruh-heel-uh-lay...ya don't say? :hmmm:

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Even if Okoye is undersized, he is young enough that he can put on weight. FWIW, if he's fast/quick, he'd actually be a prototypical Cover 2 DT, even though he's undersized.

Extra Point
01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Okoye 287? Wow. He'd better look like a rock because that's pretty small for a DT.

This is just personal preference but I like the 330 lb and up DTs. They command double teams, are hard to push back and free up LBers to make plays.

Okay, look into the future as a function of the past. Conagra finds another Okoye to peddle their Swanson Pot Pies. Six or eight of them a day in one setting will help vault him over 300.

htismaqe
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Even if Okoye is undersized, he is young enough that he can put on weight. FWIW, if he's fast/quick, he'd actually be a prototypical Cover 2 DT, even though he's undersized.

Alot of teams are gonna bank on him being able to put on weight.

That's not the issue.

I said several days ago that the guy was going to have to learn to play 3-technique because he's gonna struggle to play 1T or 2-gap NT in the pros. I got told my opinion was, well, uninformed. Guess it wasn't so uninformed after all...

Brock
01-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Idiot Bills fans.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Alot of teams are gonna bank on him being able to put on weight.

That's not the issue.

I said several days ago that the guy was going to have to learn to play 3-technique because he's gonna struggle to play 1T or 2-gap NT in the pros. I got told my opinion was, well, uninformed. Guess it wasn't so uninformed after all...

Nice to see that we are taking rumors from roto-world as empirical evidence nowadays ROFL

FWIW, I agree with you, but the way you are so full of yourself it's sickening. If you know this much, you really should quit your day job and apply for a position with a team. ;)

Chiefnj
01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
I watched Louisville in two games this year (Rutgers and Bowl game). In both Okoye seemed to get good penetration on the line - especially in the bowl game. He was back there breaking up reverses etc. I'm not sure where all the talk about him being a NT came from. It seems like one early scouting site will say it and everyone copies it.

What the hell is going on with senior bowl practice reports coming from buffalobills.com?? Don't those writers know they are supposed to be writing about the local media and ex-offensive coordinators? What the hell are they doing talking about the draft? They need Weir to set them straight.

Chiefnj
01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/north122.html

day 1 practice notes - north squad.

JBucc
01-22-2007, 08:07 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/north122.html

day 1 practice notes - north squad.nfldraftcountdown is a good site, but by god they have the most annoying ads ever

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-22-2007, 08:59 PM
nfldraftcountdown is a good site, but by god they have the most annoying ads ever

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I got this update from a poster on his trip to the Senior Bowl.

back in Mobile and here is just an ounce of feedback I got:

Bit and Brady Quinn where in the same place at the same time as they arrived....The minute Quinn received a "hospitality bag" from the Senior Bowl, he ran into the men rooms and angerily dumbed everything into the trash, but kept the bag...Seemed very upset and seemed like your typical "spoiled brat"....:Cuss:

Bit was on the plane with the Minnesota Vikings' contingent....Said former Jets DC Ted Cottrell was complaining about several things during the flight -- seats too cramped -- "what are we, damn sardines here?", ect.....Bit's words -- the Vikings, including Brad Childress, look like a bunch of losers :p

Cottrell was sitting next to Vikings safety Corey Chavous -- a draftnik, who wants to a be a G.M. one day. Bit said Chavous just ignored Teddy for the whole trip :yawn:

Players that have looked good, so far:

QB Drew Stanton....LB's David Harris and Stew Bradley of Nebraska...Bradley might really surprise people, according to one scout at the Senior Bowl...He's a high school kick returner/quarterback, who grew into a real good linebacker at Nebraska -- but had some injuries...

Brian Leonard is waaay down in weight: 224 pounds...:Nuts:

Quentin Moses...249 pounds....He'll have to play OLB, perhaps, not DE.

19 year old senior DT Amobi Okoye of Louisville weighed 274, not 320 pounds (as reported)....

Chris Leak is 5' 11"; Troy Smith and Tyler Palko are barely over 6'

More S.B. info check Bit's blog:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

After I talk to him tonight, I'll try to give more stories that we wouldn't print at DD.com -- i.e. Quinn acting like a punk; and Cottrell complaining on the plane....

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I got this update from a poster on his trip to the Senior Bowl.

That's too bad about Palko. I hope he gets a chance to drop some f-bombs in the NFL.

htismaqe
01-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice to see that we are taking rumors from roto-world as empirical evidence nowadays ROFL

FWIW, I agree with you, but the way you are so full of yourself it's sickening. If you know this much, you really should quit your day job and apply for a position with a team. ;)

ROFL

I'm certainly not full of myself.

But when a fan of another team comes here and basically calls me an idiot, you damn bet I'm gonna chime in every time he's wrong...

01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
ROFL

I'm certainly not full of myself.

But when a fan of another team comes here and basically calls me an idiot, you damn bet I'm gonna chime in every time he's wrong...
Which fan of another team called you an idiot? :hmmm:

Basileus777
01-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Looks like the Chiefs are talking to Jonathan Wade-CB Tennessee, according to Scott Wright's (NFL Draft Countdown) player-team observations.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Looks like the Chiefs are talking to Jonathan Wade-CB Tennessee, according to Scott Wright's (NFL Draft Countdown) player-team observations.

Anybody know anything about him? I didn't see Tennessee play but once or twice this year...

OnTheWarpath15
01-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Anyone else notice how Okoye dropped 13 pounds in 13 posts?

Or how Corey Chavous plays for the Vikings?

Tells me everything I need to know about this so called "feedback."

Chiefnj
01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=OnTheWarpath58]Anyone else notice how Okoye dropped 13 pounds in 13 posts?

[QUOTE]

It was very humid in Mobile; it was like Africa hot.

Kind of frightening that the "reporter" watched Quinn receive his hospitality bag and then followed him into a restroom to see what he was doing.

OnTheWarpath15
01-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I love it when people just make shit up.

"Okoye looks about 274.....let's run with it."

Dude probably isn't even in Mobile.

Hmmmmm. :hmmm:

Maybe I'll do Training Camp reports from my office instead of making the trip to RF.......

Tribal Warfare
01-23-2007, 09:53 AM
It sounds like Quinn is the second coming of Ryan Leaf

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 09:54 AM
It sounds like Quinn is the second coming of Ryan Leaf

It sounds like you were right about Leonard. He really wants to play HB at the pro level.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Scott Wright's noon blog entry...our coach is working and he got a chance to talk to Okoye about his weight.

• 12:00pm - Just got done with the first practice and I am going to go right to work on the report as soon as I finish with this. It was an eventful morning and the big names were out in force. In addition to all the scouts Tom Coughlin, Jack Del Rio and Herm Edwards were making the rounds, I ran into the venerable Frank Coyle of Draft Insiders' Digest and no Senior Bowl experience is complete without the obligatory Drew Rosenhaus sighting. I also had a chance to talk with Amobi Okoye about his weight after the practice so look for that in the report and there will be a BIG list of player / team observations tonight. Anyway, I am going to type that up and it should be live before the South practice starts this afternoon at 1:45pm.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Some interesting stuff in his morning practice report regarding some stuff we've talked about here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/north123.html

Ohio State's Troy Smith is clearly the cream of the crop and he tosses a nice ball and showed the ability make all the throws

so far the story of the week has been Troy Smith, who in my mind is clearly emerging as the #3 rated quarterback in this draft.

fullback Brian Leonard continues to stand out as a receiver as well, looking very smooth and natural in that aspect of the game and making me wonder if he can't be an H-Back in the mold of Chris Cooley or Garrett Mills as well.

Scott Chandler of Iowa consistently made plays again as well

Levi Brown of Penn St. and James Marten of Boston College had quick feet in drills while Dan Mozes of West Virginia and Marshal Yanda of Iowa did not and Brown also moved laterally very well.

Notre Dame's Ryan Harris struggled with his technique and received lots of coaching and Manuel Ramirez of Texas Tech is big, thick and looked good today.

Okoye also said teams have spoken to him about the possibility of bulking up but in my mind there's now very little doubt that he's not a nose tackle and would be best as a 3-technique in the NFL.

Cal's Brandon Mebane also looked good again today showing good power and playing with excellent leverage.

At linebacker Paul Posluszny of Penn St. is good in forward pursuit and aggressive but did not make a fluid turn in coverage.

royr17
01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
From NFLDraftcountdown on the CB the Chiefs are lookin at ...

Jonathan Wade
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.45

Strengths:
Has good size and a solid build...A smooth athlete with fluid hips...Excellent speed with great quickness and a burst...Is able to recover from mistakes...Physical and aggressive...Gives good effort as a tackler...Had a nice senior campaign...Still has lots of upside and may flourish now that he is completely focused on the gridiron.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his physical tools...Doesn't have great instincts or awareness...Has some health and durability concerns...His ball skills are not what you'd expect from a former wideout...Still raw and needs some work when it comes to technique...Is he just a track guy playing football or vise versa?

Notes:
Started his college career as a wide receiver and didn't move to defense full time until 2004...Was a member of two of the three fastest 4x100M relay teams in Vols history...Redshirted in 2003 after having surgery for a shoulder injury...Could get drafted earlier than expected based on his immense potential...He has everything you look for from a physical standpoint and really just needs to put it all together

Hal McRae
01-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Kansas City Chiefs were spotted talking to:

OT Tony Ugoh
CB David Irons
DE Tim Crowder
DB A.J. Davis
RB Tony Hunt

Tony Ugoh!!!!!!!!!!!! PBJ

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Kansas City Chiefs were spotted talking to:

OT Tony Ugoh
CB David Irons
DE Tim Crowder
DB A.J. Davis
RB Tony Hunt

Tony Ugoh!!!!!!!!!!!! PBJ

Scott Wright hasn't posted his Player/Team list for today yet, but his afternoon practice notes included this little tidbit:

Tony Ugoh of Arkansas also showed great strength and power.

Hal McRae
01-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Yea, if a player like Ugoh comes forward, the Chiefs have to consider him....they are desparate at OT...

By the way, I assume Wright or draftdaddy.com won't have Joe Thomas on the Chiefs list...looks like big Joe skipped the Senior Bowl :harumph:

Can't say I blame him, considering he got injured badly playing defensive end the Badgers 2005 Bowl Game :cuss:

Basileus777
01-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Scott Wright hasn't posted his Player/Team list for today yet, but his afternoon practice notes included this little tidbit:

Tony Ugoh of Arkansas also showed great strength and power.

Wright has them up and here is who he has listed under player/team observations for us:

Kevin Kolb
Ryan Harris
Drew Stanton
Dwayne Bowe
Mansfield Wrotto
Tony Hunt

David Irons isn't here on this one though. But, Wright was really high on David Irons in his report. And from the brief bit they showed of him on the NFLN, he was impressive.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Wright's list is up. Chiefs talked to:

Kevin Kolb
Ryan Harris
Drew Stanton
Dwayne Bowe
Mansfield Wrotto
Tony Hunt

Love that they were talking to Bowe and Harris, why the QB's?

Hammock Parties
01-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Okoye smells like Bunkley more and more every day.

Basileus777
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Okoye is only a few pounds lighter than what he played at all year long, he hasn't been anything near his listed weight in over a year. He was never going to be anything other than a 3-technique, which is exactly what we need. Okoye's size won't be an issue unless he is paired with another undersized DT on running downs. Then again, we don't exactly have a NT.....

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Okoye smells like Bunkley more and more every day.

Bunkley was a physical specimen with questions about his work ethic, people thought he played "soft".

Okoye isn't that kind of player at all.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Okoye is only a few pounds lighter than what he played at all year long, he hasn't been anything near his listed weight in over a year. He was never going to be anything other than a 3-technique, which is exactly what we need. Okoye's size won't be an issue unless he is paired with another undersized DT on running downs. Then again, we don't exactly have a NT.....

You might want to post that over here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156451

Chiefnj
01-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't you expect a rep of every team to speak to just about every single player during the course of the week?

gbnreport.com has their senior bowl coverage up. They were delayed yesterday but are now up and running and up to date.

The guard from Texas Tech seems to be impressing a lot of people. He might be a steal if he lasts into the 3rd round.

Archie Bunker
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM

It might not be a luxury this team can afford but if they are going to keep a guy like Printers why not draft another QBOTF prospect in the mid-rounds to be the 3rd QB and compete with Croyle.

With Croyle unproven and Green about done, I wouldn't blame them for hedging their bet at QB.

Hal McRae
01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Wright's list is up. Chiefs talked to:

Kevin Kolb
Ryan Harris
Drew Stanton
Dwayne Bowe
Mansfield Wrotto
Tony Hunt

Some suggest Ryan Harris absolutely is overrated -- Notre Dame hype job! L.S.U. and some of the other top teams ran right by im.

Honestly, however, I'm not good with the O-Lineman, so I'd be better off refraining from giving a strong opinion on Harris.

Wrotto is fascinating, but he's basically Svitik -- a D-Line convert....Only difference is Wrotto got one season of college ball at right tackle....

Bowe is a bad @ss, but I spent some time on L.S.U. boards last season and fans pretty much agreed he wasn't real fast....

We'll find out soon enough....Speed, alone, isn't everything, anyway!

Mecca
01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Tony Hunt runs like he has his feet stuck in quicksand......

ChiefsCountry
01-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Tony Hunt runs like he has his feet stuck in quicksand......

Hopefully your boy Jarrett does that on his 40 times. I would love for him to drop to the Chiefs.

htismaqe
01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Some suggest Ryan Harris absolutely is overrated -- Notre Dame hype job! L.S.U. and some of the other top teams ran right by im.

Honestly, however, I'm not good with the O-Lineman, so I'd be better off refraining from giving a strong opinion on Harris.

Wrotto is fascinating, but he's basically Svitik -- a D-Line convert....Only difference is Wrotto got one season of college ball at right tackle....

Bowe is a bad @ss, but I spent some time on L.S.U. boards last season and fans pretty much agreed he wasn't real fast....

We'll find out soon enough....Speed, alone, isn't everything, anyway!

Ryan Harris was solid all season, but not spectacular. And he's definitely struggled in practices so far according to Wright and others.

Bowe is supposedly a 4.5 guy while Craig Davis is a 4.4 guy. We'll see...

htismaqe
01-24-2007, 09:05 AM
The guard from Texas Tech seems to be impressing a lot of people. He might be a steal if he lasts into the 3rd round.

Scott Wright had very good things to say about him.

duncan_idaho
01-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm reading that Harris gets good intial position but doesn't finish plays well -- and intense ends who give good effort can beat him by fighting through the play.

He also has a hard time keeping weight on... I'm still intrigued by him because of his athletic ability, but I'd cringe if the Chiefs take him at 23.

ChiefsCountry
01-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Harris was on MTV back in high school.

htismaqe
01-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Harris apparently redeemed himself somewhat in the morning practice...played alot better. It sounds like all of the OT's there are playing pretty good...

Sully
01-24-2007, 09:21 PM
After watching these practices, I am absolutely falling in lvoe with Okoye. He is SOOOOO quick, but also has played strong.

Basileus777
01-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Here is who the Chiefs spoke to today according to Scott Wright:

Patrick Willis
Kevin Kolb
Brandon Mebane
Aundrae Allison
DeMarcus Tyler

A LB, QB, WR, and 2 DTs....at least we know they are looking at the right positions. This is the 2nd day we are listed as speaking with Kolb, I wonder if we are planning on taking a qb day one again.

Archie Bunker
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Patrick Willis
Kevin Kolb
Brandon Mebane
Aundrae Allison
DeMarcus Tyler

A LB, QB, WR, and 2 DTs....at least we know they are looking at the right positions. This is the 2nd day we are listed as speaking with Kolb, I wonder if we are planning on taking a qb day one again.

Love the interest in Willis. DJ and Willis would be a great start at building a top D.

The interest in Kolb is very intriguing.

Archie Bunker
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=60&articleid=27614

The weather in Mobile isn't great. The temperature at Ladd-Peebles Stadium has yet to reach 50 degrees and it's been raining. That makes for some good adverse conditions in which to test the quarterbacks on hand, and so far Heisman Award winner Troy Smith and Michigan State's Drew Stanton have answered the bell.

Most observers were convinced Stanton, who I touched on in our last segment of Draft '07: "Unfinished Business," was inconsistent on Monday but found a groove yesterday. Smith was regarded as the most impressive quarterback in the field the first day, when he also tipped the scales at a respectable 6-0/222. Stanton, Smith, and Houston's Kevin Kolb are vying to be the No. 3-rated signal caller heading to the Combine.

I read in this blog that the NFL Network's Mike Mayock has pinpointed Kolb as a possible fast-riser in the months leading up to April 28. It's tough to gauge how he's fared this week with a limited account of his reps in drop-back drills, but I do know one knock against Kolb is that he played in a passer-friendly spread at Houston and may struggle with an initial learning curve. Also having faced marginal competition could make that transition more difficult. His throwing motion is a wind-up, three-quarters delivery, but the ball seems to come out of his hand just fine. What stands out is Kolb's ability to release from the pocket and make throws on the run, his adequate arm strength, and his tact. Kolb threw just four interceptions to 30 touchdowns as a senior. He also ran for four.

Meanwhile, LSU's JaMarcus Russell, a Mobile native, sent his best regards to Senior Bowl participants via an unlikely source: injured Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn. Quinn and Russell, currently the draft's top two hurlers, have been training together at the Athlete's Performance Institute in Tempe, Arizona. Quinn won't practice this week or play in Saturday's game, but that doesn't mean he's not mixing it up in other ways.

Panthers Like Brady?

There is some talk around the Senior Bowl that Panthers representatives showed a special interest in Quinn when he made his surprise appearance on Monday. John Fox and Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis go way back and Carolina may be looking for 31-year-old Jake Delhomme's successor. Delhomme struggled in 2006, so Quinn could be starting by mid-season if Delhomme falters again, and the Panthers trade up in the first round. Currently holding the No. 14 overall pick, Carolina would likely have to shop a Kris Jenkins or a Chris Gamble to move up the board, possibly dangling Gamble and their pick to Detroit at No. 2. Despite a rough Sugar Bowl, I can't see Quinn falling past Miami at No. 9.

Wideouts Up and Down

We know Virginia Tech's David Clowney can separate, but can he catch the football? Granted his quarterback (redshirt sophomore Sean Glennon) was a disaster in 2006, but Clowney still managed 34 receptions. That hasn't translated to the Senior week practice field, however, as Clowney dropped numerous passes on Day One and didn't stand out yesterday. A projected mid-round selection, Clowney's sprinter speed will keep him draftable, but maybe only in the latter rounds.

The consensus is that Dwayne Bowe of LSU is the top receiver prospect at the Senior Bowl. Mayock called Bowe a certain first-round pick, and he's exceeded expectations. Aside from dropping a handful of catchable passes, Bowe's speed and body build have impressed. The Vikings, Rams, and Steelers could all have interest.

Others who have stepped up their games are sure-handed Auburn wideout Courtney Taylor, a lanky athlete with questionable straight-line speed who could help instantly in the slot, Clemson's Chansi Stuckey, and Chris Davis of Florida State. Davis has electrifying quickness but needs to polish his routes and get stronger. Stuckey is a speedy converted quarterback who could be a steal at the end of the draft's first day.

Shutdown Potential

David Irons of Auburn and Thorpe Award winner Aaron Ross have stood out as cover corners at the Senior Bowl. Irons, the running back Kenny's older brother, has been inconsistent, partially due to the fact that he's extremely aggressive. But he's made plays others at Senior week couldn't hope to make in one-on-one drills. Irons has an injury history dating back to his JUCO days that'll affect him in April but he could solidify a second- or third-round grade with a strong finish before Saturday's game.

Ross, who played at Texas, has shown exceptional footwork and an ability to stay with most wideouts. A first-team All American, Ross could fit as an instant nickel corner for a team like the Cowboys if Aaron Glenn decides to call it quits or Anthony Henry switches to centerfield. It was interesting to see Longhorns first-day safety Michael Griffin, not especially touted for his cover skills, line up in the one-on-one drills and hold his own.

Did You Say Linebacka?

As expected, Ole Miss inside linebacker Patrick Willis has been impressive so far. South coach Mike Nolan, who coached DeMeco Ryans at the Senior Bowl last year, said "(Ryans) didn't make the initial impression that Willis has on me. I'm not saying that Willis is a better player, but I'm just saying that Willis has really jumped out early on." Willis also measured in at 6-1/240, which is at least five pounds heavier than anticipated. One theory has the Giants moving up for Willis and sending Antonio Pierce to the weak side.

First Trade Rumor

The New York media has been pushing Jets and Giants management to make an offseason move for Michael Turner since last October. Apparently it may happen. One report early Tuesday afternoon said the Jets would be willing to part with the No. 25 pick overall in exchange for Turner, who would presumably be the "thunder" to Leon Washington's "lightning." The Jets will certainly continue to keep their eyes on Senior Bowl talent, however, and have already shown reported interest in Penn State's Tony Hunt and Auburn's Kenny Irons. Just about everyone likes Hunt and his improved size, so he may not be around at 25 if the Jets wait to pull the trigger on a Turner trade.

Already on the Mend

In addition to the minor "bursa sac" in Quinn's knee, some other prospects are dealing with injuries. Nimble 5-7 tailback Garrett Wolfe, the nation's leading rusher in 2006, has already dropped out of the Senior Bowl due to a hamstring suffered in practice Monday. A Darren Sproles lookalike from Northern Illinois, Wolfe entered the draft process with a wealth of injury concerns and a late middle-round grade, so if he can't perform at the Combine he might fall out of the draft altogether. First-day defensive end Dan Bazuin of Central Michigan was an absolute terror at the East-West Shrine game, recording 2.5 sacks and garnering Defensive MVP honors, but isn't participating this week due to a knee injury, the extent of which is unknown. Wisconsin left tackle Joe Thomas is skipping out and says it's because he's "not in good enough playing shape." Thomas may think he's already got a top-ten pick in the bag.

Talkative Rutgers tight end Clark Harris isn't putting to bed concerns about his toughness by quitting after the first day of drills due to a toe injury sustained in the Texas Bowl. It won't be a surprise if he falls far on draft weekend. LSU wideout Craig Davis is out with a groin injury. Likely 3-4 outside linebacker and possible first-rounder LaMarr Woodley tweaked a hammy on Monday and re-aggravated it Tuesday, forcing him from drills. His status for the game is uncertain. Washington State wideout Jason Hill, already coming off an injury-plagued season, twisted his ankle on Monday but made it out for Tuesday's session. LSU's LaRon Landry isn't at the Senior Bowl for reasons unknown and Gaines Adams, a rush end from Clemson, was told by his agent to skip the function.

East-West Shrine Game

If you caught this game last week, three players other than Bazuin had to stand out. New Hampshire's David Ball in particular dominated the contest for stretches. Analyst Bob Davie pointed out that Ball, who broke Jerry Rice's career record for touchdowns at the D-IAA level with 58, runs just like Chicago Cub Jeff Samardzija. Originally recruited to run track at New Hampshire, Ball leapt for a 51-yard grab in the game and looks sure to be drafted.

Little-known Lane's Jacoby Jones, a 6-4 specimen who accumulated over 2,000 all-purpose yards in his senior season, looked explosive in the Shrine game after a reported strong week of practice. With teams undoubtedly scouring the college ranks for the next Marques Colston, look for Jones to draw comparisons when he hits the Combine floor in February.

Fresno State wideout Paul Williams, who is also in attendance at the Senior Bowl, delivered at the East-West Shrine, torching Georgia Tech corner Kenny Scott for a 79-yard touchdown thrown by Nevada's Jeff Rowe. To cap his end-zone dash, Williams pointed back at his defender ala Reggie Bush in the NFC Championship. He later apologized for the unsportsmanlike act.

jiveturkey
01-25-2007, 08:12 AM

Patrick Willis
Kevin Kolb
Brandon Mebane
Aundrae Allison
DeMarcus Tyler

I don't know who any of these guys are so for everyone that's in the same boat as me here's so write ups.

Patrick Willis top rated ILBer
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/patrickwillis.html

Kevin Kold 6th rated QB
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/kevinkolb.html

Brandon Mebane 9th rated DT
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/brandonmebane.html

Aundrae Allison 15th rated WR (sketchy write up)
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/aundraeallison.html

Demarcus Tyler 4th rated DT
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/demarcustyler.html

CupidStunt
01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Levi Brown is kicking ass.

We need him.

eazyb81
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM

We need him.

Agree, but I have a feeling the hype machine on him will get rolling between now and April, and he will be long gone by the time we pick.

Coogs
01-25-2007, 03:37 PM

We need him.

OK, I am confused again. GBN reports say that Brown is not doing so well, but everyone here says he is kicking butt. Which is it?

DaKCMan AP
01-25-2007, 04:24 PM
The consensus is that Dwayne Bowe of LSU is the top receiver prospect at the Senior Bowl. Mayock called Bowe a certain first-round pick, and he's exceeded expectations. Aside from dropping a handful of catchable passes, Bowe's speed and body build have impressed. The Vikings, Rams, and Steelers could all have interest.

Didn't I already say he doesn't have great hands? If we take a WR in this draft, DONT let it to be him.

htismaqe
01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
OK, I am confused again. GBN reports say that Brown is not doing so well, but everyone here says he is kicking butt. Which is it?

The GBN report you posted in the other thread basically doesn't gel with the other blogs I'm reading, namely DD and NFLD.

I've never really read GBN, so I have no idea how reputable they are.

El Jefe
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
ChiefsCountry, yea Harris was on Real Life I want the perfect body. None the less it was about him trying to get bigger and how hard he was training so he could get on at ND. Amusing story since he made it.

htismaqe
01-25-2007, 04:40 PM
The more I hear, the more I like. And we've apparently been talking to him...

Up front Tony Ugoh of Arkansas has long arms, redirects well, plays with good leverage and is athletic enough to pull effectively.

In that vein, here's Scott Wright's list of people we talked to on Wednesday...

Patrick Willis
Kevin Kolb
Brandon Mebane
Aundrae Allison
DeMarcus Tyler

Chiefnj
01-25-2007, 04:49 PM
The more I hear, the more I like. And we've apparently been talking to him...

Up front Tony Ugoh of Arkansas has long arms, redirects well, plays with good leverage and is athletic enough to pull effectively.

In that vein, here's Scott Wright's list of people we talked to on Wednesday...

Patrick Willis
Kevin Kolb
Brandon Mebane
Aundrae Allison
DeMarcus Tyler

Kiper's latest mock has KC taking Ugoh in the 1st.
From everything I've read Levi has some problems with speed rushers.

htismaqe
01-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Kiper's latest mock has KC taking Ugoh in the 1st.
From everything I've read Levi has some problems with speed rushers.

I stated early on that I was concerned he wouldn't operate well in space, but right now that only people that seem to be down on him are GBN...

donkhater
01-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Didn't I already say he doesn't have great hands? If we take a WR in this draft, DONT let it to be him.
He has good enough hands. What do you want a team of Chris Horns? Mike Nolan compared him to Colston from NO. I don't know about you, but I'd like a player like Colston on this team. If he is a hard worker, his hands will improve.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2007, 07:31 AM
He has good enough hands. What do you want a team of Chris Horns? Mike Nolan compared him to Colston from NO. I don't know about you, but I'd like a player like Colston on this team. If he is a hard worker, his hands will improve.

I would hope so. He dropped MANY catchable balls this year.

This is a draft deep with WRs and I'd rather have a Calvin Johnson (obviously no chance), Jarrett, Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem early or grab a guy later (Steve Smith, Courtney Taylor, Jason Swayne, Paul Williams, etc.

It's JMO that Bowe wont ever live up to his 1st round billing and I think we can find much better value with our pick. Of the 1st round WRs I'm not high on Bowe or Ted Ginn Jr.

Brock
01-26-2007, 08:58 AM
MOBILE, Ala. -- -- The practices are finished and NFL scouts, coaches and general managers are long gone. All that's left is to play the game. Yet even before the ball is officially kicked off, the script on which players came out of the '07 Senior Bowl as winners or losers has already been written.

Ten Prospects Who Exceeded Expectations

1. Amobi Okoye/DL/Louisville: Okoye was the talk of the town this week. Weighing in at a chiseled 287-pounds, he displayed tremendous quickness and athleticism from the first practice. Okoye, a bright and articulate 19-year-old, also interviewed well for the teams that spent time with him.

2. Adam Carriker/DL/Nebraska: Another front four player who was tough to block, Carriker elevated his draft stock significantly. Displaying a combination of strength and intelligence, he also came across well during interviews.

3. Dwayne Bowe/WR/LSU: The big pass catcher separated himself from the rest of the group and distinguished himself as the top senior receiver in the country.

4. David Irons/CB/Auburn: Irons capitalized on a terrific senior campaign with a great showing in Mobile. He was consistently applauded by coaches for his cover skills, hard work and ability to learn new defensive systems.

5. Michael Griffin/S/Texas: Displaying an array of talent in centerfield, Griffin made an impact every day at practice. His ball skills in coverage were outstanding as was his play defending the run.

6. Brandon Mebane/DT/California: The stout defensive tackle was unblockable for most of the week. Displaying tremendous quickness, he showed pass rush moves scouts were not aware he had.

7. Ryan Kalil/C/USC: The Trojan blocker looked great on the pivot. Holding his own against bigger opponents, he showed a lot of unexpected skill blocking in motion.

8. Aundrae Allison/WR/East Carolina: Allison impressed scouts from the first day he stepped on the field. Catching everything thrown in his directions, he also got deep behind defenders with consistency.

9. Mason Crosby/PK/Colorado: Crosby regularly put his field goals through the uprights from 50-yards or longer with plenty of room to spare.

10. Antonio Johnson/DT/Mississippi State: The big tackle showed-off his athleticism all week. More impressively, he consistently made plays up the field, something that was lacking in his college career.

Five Prospects Who Failed to Meet Expectations

1. Ryan Harris/OL/Notre Dame: Continuing what was a poor senior season, Harris was beaten regularly in Mobile. At one point he was chastised by Jon Gruden for allowing a sack on Thursday.

2. Marcus McCauley/CB/Fresno State: Another who struggled in '06, McCauley was beaten with regularity all week. His performance during Thursday's no pads practice was not good.

3. Patrick Willis/MLB/Mississippi: Willis gave good effort all week and looked strong in the box. Problem was he struggled making plays out to the sidelines or in reverse. He does not resemble the first-round talent many have pinned him to be.

4. Quentin Moses/DE/Georgia: The Bulldogs pass rusher checked in much lighter than expected at 249 pounds and was handled all week by blockers. During interviews, Moses did not come off as a confident individual.

5. Troy Smith/QB/Ohio State: While Smith was accurate with his short and intermediate passes, his long throws were off. Smith did not display the ability to drive the deep pass and was rarely on the mark downfield.

Senior Bowl Notes: NFL scouts are not enamored with the overall talent of this year's senior class but they were reasonably happy with the players on hand in Mobile. This years group could match the number of first-round picks which came out of last year's game; 14. The Senior Bowl is the place where the unemployed and underclassmen come to look for job interviews. Larry Coker, the recently released coach from the Miami Hurricanes, was at practice all week hoping to catch on with an NFL team. Florida Gator defensive back Reggie Nelson, who declared for the draft soon after the national title game, interviewed with several teams right through Wednesday.

Chiefnj
01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Brock,

Where was that from?

It's funny because other sites rave about Willis and others said Smith looked at QB.

Brock
01-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Oops, here's the link.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/26/senior.bowl/index.html

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2007, 09:50 AM
MOBILE, Ala. -- -- The practices are finished and NFL scouts, coaches and general managers are long gone.

This is what's wrong with scouting, IMO. Practice habits are important, but game performance should trump all other measureables.

Chiefnj
01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
This is what's wrong with scouting, IMO. Practice habits are important, but game performance should trump all other measureables.

I don't think there is much to tell from the game. Both sides are limited in what they can do. IIRC, no blitzing, etc.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't think there is much to tell from the game. Both sides are limited in what they can do. IIRC, no blitzing, etc.

I understand that, but it should be more telling of true game performance than practice. Hell, at least they'll HIT.

Archie Bunker
01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Here's a little story on Willis...

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/colleges/16549781.htm

Willis making a big splash
Ole Miss linebacker among many players trying to make waves at Senior Bowl
By LARRY HOLDER
lholder@sunherald.com

MOBILE - Scouts from the Kansas City Chiefs approached former Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis after a practice session this week at the Senior Bowl.

The Butkus Award winner and two-time All-American answered every question about as polite as any potential first-round draft pick could possibly respond.

A litany of "yes, sir" and "thank you, sir" continuously flowed from his vocal chords without a hint of rehearsal. Willis was genuinely courteous to everyone he conversed with following one of the most important practices of his soon-to-be professional career.

As respectful as he was to the slew of NFL scouts this week, Willis was equally as gracious to his Southeastern Conference opposition during his four years with the Rebels. Sure, at first he'd hammer the ball carrier to the ground, but he was willing to give a helping hand to his dazed foe.

A mixture of tenacity and genteelness has pro scouts and general managers marking his every move as he's slated to go in the first round of this year's NFL Draft.

"I'm lucky to be in this situation and you can't take anything for granted," Willis said. "A year ago, people didn't think I could come back for my senior year and have just as good, if not a better season than I did my junior year.

"I'm very fortunate and this is a great opportunity to show what I can do in front of all the coaches and scouts. Being here will definitely help me for the draft."

Hovering in the background this week has been San Francisco 49ers linebackers coach Mike Singletary, former Chicago Bears great and one of the NFL's best middle linebackers.

Willis said the coaching staff realizes the 6-foot-2, 230-pound linebacker has a nose for the football. With the Hall of Fame player tutoring him this week, Willis is absorbing every and any piece of advice Singletary has to offer.

During one drill, one coach barked at Willis to get his hands up. He listened. The next play, Willis outwrestled an offensive lineman with ease. Note taken.

"They just wanted me to use my hands more," Willis said. "They know I can get to the ball and they know I can make plays. There comes a point in time where you've got to go in there at linemen and connect with them. Everyone would be able to see me connect with a lineman and just get rid of of and not necessarily hit him. They want to see me force them out and shoot them off. That's been the biggest thing."

Willis said his best assets he wants to showcase this week are speed and his ability to scour from sideline to sideline. He also hopes to dispel any perceived weaknesses he may possess.

"The one thing I try to portray is that I'm an all-around player and that I'm not just one dimensional," Willis said. "I can do more than just play the run or play the pass."

Willis' draft stock hovers anywhere from the middle to the late first round. He's already perking the interest from 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, who will coach the South squad Saturday afternoon.

"Willis has a done a very good job," Nolan said. "He's a very active guy. He's a guy I came down here with a little bit of knowledge of, just from a name standpoint. I certainly have not watched any film of him prior to getting here.

"I've already noticed he's got a good nose for the ball and he's a physical player, covers a lot of ground, he's a sideline to sideline guy. He looks to like he's probably got a very good career ahead of him.

"Last year, we coached some very good linebackers in this game. In fact, one of them was the (NFL) Defensive Rookie of the Year from Alabama, DeMeco Ryans, and last year he did a nice job during the week Initially, Willis has caught my eye a good bit in the short time we've had practicing the last two days."

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Brock,

Where was that from?

It's funny because other sites rave about Willis and others said Smith looked at QB.

I find that interesting as well.

For instance, Scott Wright has opened almost EVERY report with a sentence on how Troy Smith is far and away the best QB there...

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
That SI report is a bit eye-opening, considering Scott Wright and Sigmund Bloom have both raved about Willis this week, saying he was far and away the best LB in Mobile.

I've been following Scott for years now, and he really knows his stuff.

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 01:25 PM
According to NFL Draft Countdown, the Chiefs talked to Okoye and Palko on Thursday...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I find that interesting as well.

For instance, Scott Wright has opened almost EVERY report with a sentence on how Troy Smith is far and away the best QB there...

Kiper was a little bit down on Smith's performance at the Sr. Bowl, saying that he was very erratic in passing drills...

This is FWIW, anyway.

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Kiper was a little bit down on Smith's performance at the Sr. Bowl, saying that he was very erratic in passing drills...

This is FWIW, anyway.

Here is the opening to Scott Wright's Thursday morning practice report:

As he has been all week Ohio State's Troy Smith was once again the top quarterback on the North roster, showcasing a great arm by throwing 20 yard ropes and also what appeared to be strong hands.

Just goes to show you that you can't really trust any ONE site...

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's another example of conflicting/confusing reports, and what's bad about this is that it came from the SAME SITE.

Scott Wright's Thursday afternoon report:
Up front Tony Ugoh of Arkansas continues to struggle while Joe Staley of Central Michigan continues to impress by looking strong and powerful.

Scott Wright's Wednesday afternoon report:
Up front Tony Ugoh of Arkansas has long arms, redirects well, plays with good leverage and is athletic enough to pull effectively. Joe Staley of Central Michigan has feet that are unparalleled and he extends his arms well but he is not overly stout at the point and will get pushed backwards by powerful defenders.

Tribal Warfare
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM
According to NFL Draft Countdown, the Chiefs talked to Okoye and Palko on Thursday...

with a sinister grin Good! Good!

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
with a sinister grin Good! Good!

Okoye - good.

Tyler Palko? Meh. They've talked to like five QB's during the week, some of them multiple times. And they're guys like Kevin Kolb and Palko...

Archie Bunker
01-26-2007, 03:00 PM

The Chiefs must be seriously considering drafting another QB. They've talked to about every mid-round prospect.

Kinda surprising.

Brock
01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Gotta have a backup for Brodie.

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Gotta have a backup for Brodie.

Kevin Kolb and Tyler Palko are PROSPECTS.

If you need a backup for Brodie, you get a cheap vet...

JBucc
01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Is it just me, or is anyone else more interested in the Senior Bowl than the Super Bowl?

Archie Bunker
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Is it just me, or is anyone else more interested in the Senior Bowl than the Super Bowl?

This is my favorite time of the year. Love the draft and FA.

Brock
01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tyler+palko

Several Palko clips on youtube.

Brock
01-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Here's Levi Brown wanting to beat up a teammate.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=igNRxKai1mE

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM

I would be more excited if I actually had NFL Network....

F#CK YOU TIME WARNER!!!!!

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
The Chiefs must be seriously considering drafting another QB. They've talked to about every mid-round prospect.

Kinda surprising.

Don't take too much stock into which teams are reportedly talking to which prospects....most teams will end up talking to just about every player between now and draft day.

JBucc
01-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I would be more excited if I actually had NFL Network....

F#CK YOU TIME WARNER!!!!!It's on NFL network? Well shit I don't have it either. There goes that. Maybe someone can sopcast it?

El Jefe
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey guys is the game on ESPN, and do you know what time its on?

Archie Bunker
01-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey guys is the game on ESPN, and do you know what time its on?

NFL Network Saturday 3:00

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
It's on NFL network? Well shit I don't have it either. There goes that. Maybe someone can sopcast it?

Yep....f'n sucks.

NJ Chief Fan
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM

i cant wait for draft weekend

Archie Bunker
01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=60&articleid=27641

I wasn't in Alabama to watch Senior Bowl practice, so I have no firsthand knowledge of the week's goings on, and many reports from Mobile tend to conflict. For instance, I read one place that Penn State's Paul Posluszny was the Senior Bowl's standout linebacker and showed exceptional leadership skills. Another report said he was an obvious liability in coverage and failed to distinguish himself as any better than the third or fourth best player at his position.

Todd McShay reported on ESPNews that Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith's weigh in and practice performance guaranteed him a spot on the draft's first day. FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer said Smith didn't move his stock in any direction.

While Scout.com alleged that Miami of Florida defensive back Brandon Meriweather showed the cover skills to be considered at cornerback by NFL teams, others believed Meriweather's effort was wildly inconsistent, far from a quality clubs look for in cover corners.

So what I tried to focus on were the few constants in these reports. The consensus says the following players have either performed up to or fallen short of expectations. Some other notes from Senior Bowl week are included below the player profiles.

Texas S Michael Griffin

Height: 6-0
Weight: 195
Pre-Senior Bowl Grade: early to mid second round
Projected Forty Time: low 4.5s
2006 Stats: 126 tackles, 4 INT, 10 PASS DEF, 4 FF, 2 BLK KICK

Griffin had no problem convincing most he was first-day worthy after leading the Longhorns in tackles the last two seasons. That's quite an accomplishment when you play on the same defense as Michael Huff, Cedric Griffin, and possible first-round corner Aaron Ross. He has experience at both free and strong safety, but because of his productive tackling, lack of ideal size, and ball-hawking style, Griffin's NFL position was uncertain.

What he did: Griffin stepped right in with the corners during one-on-one drills and held up against some of the Senior Bowl's top wideouts. Tackling isn't stressed before Saturday's game, so Griffin proved he can be a capable "cover safety" in addition to a physical centerfield force.

What's changed: He probably solidified himself as a first-round pick, leapfrogging Florida's Reggie Nelson and the aforementioned Meriweather to slide in behind LSU's LaRon Landry. Atlanta, currently holding the No. 10 pick, is looking for someone to play opposite Lawyer Milloy, and Griffin would fit well.

Nebraska DL Adam Carriker

Height: 6-6
Weight: 292
Pre-Senior Bowl Grade: late first to early second round
Projected Forty Time: mid 4.8s
2006 Stats: 52 tackles, 16 TFL, 7 SCK, INT, BLK KICK

An exceptionally slow start to his senior campaign raised concern that Carriker's breakout junior year may have been an anomaly. He finished strong, but Carriker's production still experienced a considerable drop off and his speed will never be elite. What position would he play? Is he boom or bust? Carriker had the makings of a risky selection, meaning his first-round status was clearly in doubt before this past week.

What he did: Carriker lined up at both the three (pass-rushing defensive tackle in a 4-3) and five techniques (containing defensive end in a 3-4) and was called the Senior Bowl's most dominant defensive lineman Monday through Thursday. He is also an especially intense personality, and displayed that to NFL team representatives.

What's changed: Barring something unexpected taking place between now and April 28, Carriker looks like a mid first-round, possibly top-ten pick. He's a power player that fits at two positions, giving him extraordinary value. It will be a shock if Carriker falls past the Steelers at No. 15. They're staying with a 3-4 for the time being but most likely will switch to a 4-3 in time and Carriker can be a starter in both schemes.

Delaware TE Ben Patrick

Height: 6-4
Weight: 270
Pre-Senior Bowl grade: sixth to seventh round
Projected Forty Time: 4.8s
2006 Stats: 64 catches, 639 yards (10 YPC), 6 TDs

A Duke transfer who spent just one season at Division I-AA Delaware, Patrick arrived at the Senior Bowl a day late, as he was summoned to take Rutgers TE Clark Harris' spot for the North after Harris bowed out with a toe injury. In 2006, Patrick was a phenomenal addition to the Delaware program, immediately garnering first-team All-Atlantic Ten honors. However, there were questions about his straight-ahead speed, size, and fitness, and it appeared his upside would be as a solid NFL backup.

What he did: Patrick came in on Tuesday and immediately made his presence felt, hauling in everything "catchable" and blocking his tail off. Overcoming an inherent lack of top speed is hard to do, but Patrick showed his playmaking ability without having ample time to shed pounds.

What's changed: Patrick may have vaulted himself past Harris and into the top five of an especially weak tight end class. Only Arizona State's Zach Miller and Miami of Florida's Greg Olsen, both underclassmen, have shots to go in the first round. Patrick brings a Dominique Byrd-like skill set as an H-back/tight end hybrid and could be considered by a team like Minnesota, Chicago, or Carolina in the middle rounds.

Ten Others Seemingly Rising: Tennessee G/T Arron Sears, North Carolina State DT DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, LSU WR Dwayne Bowe, Washington State WR Jason Hill, Florida State RB Lorenzo Booker, Mississippi State DT Antonio Johnson, USC C Ryan Kalil, Central Michigan LT Joe Staley, Tennessee CB Jonathan Wade, Auburn CB David Irons

Georgia DE Quentin Moses

Height: 6-5
Weight: 250
Pre-Senior Bowl Grade: late first to second round
Projected Forty Time: mid 4.7s
2006 Stats: 33 tackles, 12 TFL, 4.5 SCK, FR

Moses' fall began right at the end of his junior season, during which he racked up 11.5 sacks and 20.5 tackles for loss and appeared a likely top-five selection. I saw an interview with Moses and he doesn't know why exactly his production slipped so dramatically in 2006, but it certainly did. So too has his draft stock.

What he did: Moses came off as a one-dimensional player during Senior week. He couldn't get penetration unless he was coming directly off the edge; all his effective moves were from the outside and he didn't display power. He's now being tried as an outside linebacker, which would put his athleticism to good use but also requires a transition period if you're not Kamerion Wimbley.

What's changed: Players like this make you think they definitely should've left school a year early. Good timing at the NFL Combine could save his Round Two status, and the Dolphins would be a sound fit for Moses if they like him that high.

Michigan CB Leon Hall

Height: 5-11
Weight: 193
Pre-Senior Bowl Grade: top-15 pick
Projected Forty Time: mid 4.4s
2006 Stats: 45 tackles, SCK, 3 INT, 15 PASS DEF, 2 FR

Hall entered the '06 season as the top cornerback prospect and had a fine year overall. His stats aren't gaudy, but teams threw away from him for the most part. Hall was burnt for 100+ yards and a score by Steve Smith in the Rose Bowl, but it didn't seem to affect his standing among NFL draftniks; he still was ranked atop everyone's cornerback board.

What he did: He didn't stand out, and Daymeion Hughes and David Irons received accolades as the Senior Bowl's top rising corners. Hall's speed remains a question mark, as he was beaten by Fresno State's Paul Williams for a long score.

What's changed: He might need a 4.4 to save his mid first-round status. I'm speculating, but there may be concern that Hall's play has slipped of late due to his lofty billing. In the end, it's doubtful a corner-needy team (New Orleans or Baltimore) would let him slip out of Round One altogether.

Pittsburgh QB Tyler Palko

Height: 6-1
Weight: 220
Pre-Senior Bowl Grade: fourth or fifth round
Projected Forty Time: 4.9s
2006 Stats: 25 TDs, 9 INTs, 2871 yards, 68.3% completions, 163.25 EFF

The switch to Dave Waanstedt as head coach wasn't easy for Palko initially, but he had a strong senior season despite losing wideout Greg Lee a year early. Palko, a highly-rated signal caller coming out of the prep ranks, showed the grit and toughness to be a possible mid-round pick, but there remained questions about his arm, patience, and decision making.

What he did: Palko didn't answer any of the questions from a positive standpoint. Jon Gruden called him a "system player," which is a nice way of saying Palko's arm is weak.

What's Changed: Palko doesn't have the mobility to pick up positive yards, which magnifies his lack of ideal NFL arm strength. He was a quality college quarterback but there were at least ten other players deserving of his spot on the Senior Bowl roster. He's not certain to be drafted any higher than the seventh round.

Ten Others Seemingly Slipping: NC State CB A.J. Davis, Florida LB Earl Everett, LSU DE Chase Pittman, NC State G Leroy Harris, Rutgers TE Clark Harris (injury), Northern Illinois RB Garrett Wolfe (injury), UTEP QB Jordan Palmer, Ohio State DT Quinn Pitcock, South Carolina CB Fred Bennett, Fresno State CB Marcus McCauley

Left His Hands in Auburn?

Houston quarterback Kevin Kolb, on Auburn running back Kenny Irons: "He needs to get some hands, he's hurting our stats. They are still broken up, hopefully they get back together by Saturday because right now his hands are like his name, Iron."

Battle on the Interior

One exchange on the North side that kept everyone's attention was the one between Texas Tech guard Manuel Ramirez and Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye. On the first day, Okoye beat Ramirez with an array of speed moves, including a spin, but Ramirez countered with his trademark power and the two continued to battle all week. Both showed the attitude teams are searching for. Ramirez, a pure mauler of whom opinions vary, may have helped himself the most. Despite his 287-pound weigh in, Okoye won't fall out of the first round.

Versatility Is Key

Purdue DE Anthony Spencer spent time at outside linebacker and has a great chance to play there in the pros. Spencer, who led the nation with a bloodcurdling 26.5 tackles for loss, and may have upped his stock more than any other prospective '07 draftee in 2006, has a shot to go in Round One if he tests well at the Combine.

Syracuse CB Tanard Jackson was moved to safety by new Buccaneers secondary coach Raheem Morris, and seemed to flourish in his new digs. Morris called Jackson a "banger," and it looks like the former Orange(man) increased his value despite an up and down week overall.

Did You Know?

Tennessee DT Justin Harrell, the No. 2-rated player at his position according to most, tore his biceps against Air Force in Week 2 but refused to sit out against Florida the next week, started, and made three tackles.

Texas DE Tim Crowder, a base 4-3 end who will go on the first day, threw a one-hitter and batted .400 as a senior high school baseball player.

Penn State RB Tony Hunt attended T.C. Williams High in Alexandria, VA, the school made famous by the movie Remember the Titans.

Michigan State QB Drew Stanton hasn't had a serious injury since, but blew out his knee while covering a kick as a redshirt freshman and needed season-ending surgery.

One scout called Nevada's Jeff Rowe the best senior quarterback not at the Senior Bowl.

West Virginia LB Kevin "Boo" McClee, a potential first-day selection, was struck by lightning as a child.

Arkansas LT Tony Ugoh had the longest arms at the weigh in. Dwayne Bowe had the longest arms among the skill players.

Ryan Harris, Mike Mayock's third-rated offensive tackle, was featured on MTV's True Life before entering Notre Dame in August 2003.

Nebraska QB Zac Taylor, the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, was not invited to the Senior Bowl, but does date the daughter of Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Ryan Harris, Mike Mayock's third-rated offensive tackle, was featured on MTV's True Life before entering Notre Dame in August 2003.

I remember that, the guy had trouble with packing on the pounds

royr17
01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
I havent seen anything from Patrick Willis that I like except he has good speed. But he's gettin takin out of plays early and often, I say pass on him.

Focus on Okoye for right now.

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Okoye with the sack. I think it's safe to say he's out of our reach

royr17
01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Okoye already has a sack.

I guess will see how much better he'll do here in a few minutes.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I havent seen anything from Patrick Willis that I like except he has good speed.
Focus on Okoye for right now.

He was the Butkus award winner for a reason, and this kid is a player. Did you notice that he was on in 80% of those plays the kid is always around the ball

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Who are you guys keeping your eyes on the most? I'm looking mainly at Levi, Okoye, and Joe Staley

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Who are you guys keeping your eyes on the most? I'm looking mainly at Levi, Okoye, and Joe Staley

everyone, but specifically Willis, Okoye, Mebane, Bowe, and Staley

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I really like Staley. He's very athletic (something our current LT isn't). I think he could be a good 2nd

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I really like Staley. He's very athletic (something our current LT isn't). I think he could be a good 2nd

Apparently in high school he was a track star which means he'll have a great combine/ Pro Day, and will slip into the 1st round.

tomahawk kid
01-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Willis made a nice play there.

Clayton isn't slow.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Staley blew a blocking assignment

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Just when I was starting to like him.

crazycoffey
01-27-2007, 05:17 PM
DT Okoye, just did a sideling interview. But I can't see him dropping.

I don't remember who, but someone was thinking we could get him.

tomahawk kid
01-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Another blown assignment by Staley.

royr17
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
He was the Butkus award winner for a reason, and this kid is a player. Did you notice that he was on in 80% of those plays the kid is always around the ball

That dont mean anything.

He's a poor tackler, and he gets takin out too easy. He'll get killed at the next level.

Scanlon would be a better MLB IMHO then Willis, Move Mitchell outside and put Scanlon in the middle (if he's healthy) and go with Johnson, and I believe that Defense will flourish.

All it would need is a Defensive Tackle and thats what you get in Amobi Okoye.

I believe it is only 1 to 2 players away from bein a top defense.

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Bad technique by Staley on that one.

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Scanlon would be a better MLB IMHO then Willis, Move Mitchell outside and put Scanlon in the middle (if he's healthy) and go with Johnson, and I believe that Defense will flourish.

:doh!:

Mecca
01-27-2007, 05:51 PM
That dont mean anything.

He's a poor tackler, and he gets takin out too easy. He'll get killed at the next level.

All it would need is a Defensive Tackle and thats what you get in Amobi Okoye.

I believe it is only 1 to 2 players away from bein a top defense.

That is an excellent way to kill any credibility you had........good job.

NJ Chief Fan
01-27-2007, 06:08 PM
NO SCANLON NEXT YEAR PLEASE

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 06:14 PM
NO SCANLON NEXT YEAR PLEASE

Willis is the Dick Butkus Award Winner, the guy has skillz

royr17
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Willis is the Dick Butkus Award Winner, the guy has skillz

Yes he has skills, but skills dont always win games. You gotta be able to clear blocks and tackle approriately. He blew tackles today and got takin out plays too easy.

I wasnt impressed to say the bit atleast.

milkman
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
That is an excellent way to kill any credibility you had........good job.

Eh...He never had any.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Yes he has skills, but skills dont always win games. You gotta be able to clear blocks and tackle approriately. He blew tackles today and got takin out plays too easy.

huh?

Mecca
01-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Anyone who thinks a LB is going to beat blocks of an Offensive lineman is a moron period. Ray Lewis is a HOF player and even he gets taken out of plays when Olineman get on him.

milkman
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Butkus Award winner, almost sure first rounder, while no one outside of Chiefs fans have a clue who the **** Scanlon is, who has done Jack in college or the NFL.

Yet here are, listening to some dumbass who wouldn't know a football tackle from fishing tackle without his daddy tellin' him the difference talking about the almighty ****ing Rich Scanlon.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_bM4sEmaFLQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_bM4sEmaFLQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

milkman
01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, that guy can't clear blocks and tackle.

Mecca
01-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that guy can't clear blocks and tackle.

We're set with guys like Rich Scanlon and Kawika Mitchell :rolleyes:

milkman
01-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Little Roy say he has skills but that he can't clear blocks or tackle.

If he can't clear blocks or tackle, then what the **** skills is Roy talkin about?

milkman
01-27-2007, 06:34 PM
We're set with guys like Rich Scanlon and Kawika Mitchell :rolleyes:

I didn't get the chance to see today's Senior Bowl.

Anyone really impress other than the usual suspects?

Mecca
01-27-2007, 06:41 PM

Well I don't have the NFL network....this bullshit is really pissing me off.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 06:44 PM

My boy Brian Leonard owned, but besides that the same touted prospects showing their stuff.

Demonpenz
01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I thought the nfl network did a good job of covering the game today. I have to give them props they are doing good.

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 08:05 PM

Adam Cariker (DE) had a good game with 2 sacks and a forced fumble I believe. Don't hold me to thoses stats

royr17
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
That video was a clear way to the running back, he didnt get picked up on any blocks.

Willis has skills dont get me wrong, but does he have it all set yet is the question, maybe im bias but he didnt stand out very well to me today.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
That video was a clear way to the running back, he didnt get picked up on any blocks.

Willis has skills dont get me wrong, but does he have it all set yet is the question, maybe im bias but he didnt stand out very well to me today.

Yes, he does have the skill set. One doesn't base an evaluation on one game that is very ignorant.

unothadeal
01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Yes, he does have the skill set. One doesn't base an evaluation on one game that is very ignorant.

If that's true I can't figure out for the life of me why we drafted Sims

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2007, 09:02 PM
If that's true I can't figure out for the life of me why we drafted Sims

precisely

milkman
01-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Bias?
Yeah, probably.

Dumbass?
Most definitely.

alanm
01-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Adam Cariker (DE) had a good game with 2 sacks and a forced fumble I believe. Don't hold me to thoses stats
You may have him confused with Jay Moore DE from Nebraska. Moore had 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery. I got home in time to catch the post game show and they mentioned that Carriker had a great game as well.

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2007, 01:20 AM
You may have him confused with Jay Moore DE from Nebraska. Moore had 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery. I got home in time to catch the post game show and they mentioned that Carriker had a great game as well.

his game stats were due to missed assignments

redsurfer11
01-28-2007, 02:03 AM
My boy Brian Leonard owned, but besides that the same touted prospects showing their stuff.

With Leonard at Fb, the North dominated at running, passing and time possession. Shame he didn't get the carries or passes. Think Gruden was trying to hide his talents?

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/tanardjackson.html

I forgot to mention CB Tanard Jackson of Syracuse during practice week. The kid looks and plays alot like James Hasty

Mr. Laz
01-28-2007, 11:56 AM
my directivo died at the beginning of the week so i missed that dang game too.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/tanardjackson.html

I forgot to mention CB Tanard Jackson of Syracuse during practice week. The kid looks and plays alot like James Hasty
chiefs fans just love James hasty ... talk about overrated.

if Hasty was on the field with this defense he would be getting burned every game.

milkman
01-28-2007, 12:01 PM

if Hasty was on the field with this defense he would be getting burned every game.

There are very few CBs that would excel in today's NFL without a consistent pass rush.

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2007, 12:06 PM

they guy went to 3 pro-bowls while dawning the Red and Gold. The guy shutdown alot of bigtime recievers too. Yeah, the guy is overrated. With saying that Johnson would be a perfect 5th round pick for the cover 2.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2007, 12:12 PM
they guy went to 3 pro-bowls while dawning the Red and Gold. The guy shutdown alot of bigtime recievers too. Yeah, the guy is overrated. With saying that Johnson would be a perfect 5th round pick for the cover 2.
Hasty was a product of the defense

he'd be labeled "not fast enough" in this defense

Sure-Oz
01-28-2007, 12:15 PM
That dont mean anything.

dubya tee eff :shake:

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Hasty was a product of the defense

he'd be labeled "not fast enough" in this defense

wrong in the cover 2 he'd be perfect , because of the scheme. Which is the reason Ty Law is good fit because doesn't have the speed he use to but still has the quicks and technique to get the job done

Mr. Laz
01-28-2007, 12:20 PM
wrong in the cover 2 he'd be perfect , because of the scheme. Which is the reason Ty Law is good fit because doesn't have the speed he use to but still has the quicks and technique to get the job done
hasty never had "quicks"

ROFL

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2007, 12:22 PM
hasty never had "quicks"

ROFL

10 yard burst to the ball yes he did

Chief Roundup
01-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Willis got Defensive MVP.

milkman
01-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Willis got Defensive MVP.

In Roy's mind there isn't now, never has been, nor ever will be, a better LB than Gopher Scanlon, who somehow, some way, in spite of this unparalleled talent, can't beat out a marginal talent like Kawika Mitchell.

Chiefnj
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Chiefnj thoughts on prospective players the Chiefs might take:

LBs
Willis looked very good. He had 11 tackles and forced a fumble on one hit. He got blown up a few times when an OL came clean off the line on him, but that's pretty much expected.

The Michigan MLB didn't look to bad.

DT
Okoye was the class of the DT's. If he falls to KC because of his weight, I'd hope the Chiefs take him.

Mebane looked okay. He's not as fast off the snap and doesn't appear as polished as Okoye, but he seemed to get a good interior push and bull rush.

OT
Levi was the best LOT. He doesn't remind me of a Roaf or Ogden, but he was the best of who was at the Senior Bowl.

The second best LOT IMO was Ryan Harris of ND. I know everyone reported he had a rough week of practice, but come game time he stepped up. Staley routinely missed assignments and let the QB get I65'ed. Ugoh didn't look that dominant either. He got beat badly on an inside move and had to hold (not called even though it was obvious).

Other good players
Ramirez the OG from Texas Tech seemed to play well. Leonard will be grabbed in the 2nd round. Spencer the DE from Purdue seems like he could make a decent pass rush specialist. Merriweather will be one of those Miami-type team leaders. Griffin played well at S. Williams (?) the Fresno WR had a grab where he broke a bunch of tackles. He's tough to bring down.

Overall the weather was horrible and it didn't look like the QB's and centers were on the same universe. There had to have been 10 fumbled snaps.