PDA

View Full Version : Are you sick of

HonestChieffan
01-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Local TV News that spends more time promoting the story they are gonna do than they spend on the story?

Weather Dorks and Dorkettes who make the next front into a 3 minute lesson on wind?

Late breaking stories that occured 7 hours before with some dillweed standing on a street corner after dark doing an On Scene report.

TV News in KC is reaching for an all time low.

Phobia
01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I'm always disappointed when I fall for the hype machine. I usually don't even watch.

phisherman
01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
it's not as bad as watching fox4 news and having to listen to the anchors promote tv shows on fox..

the last two nights the wife and i have watched segments on prison break and 24...when did this crap become local news?

bp

Kraut
01-23-2007, 09:11 AM
LOL your so right

Easy 6
01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
An everyday substance in your home that could kill your entire family!?!?!?

Details at the top of the hour.

HonestChieffan
01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Karen Fuller screaming about Late Breaking Only Here exclusive interview with man who saw a speeding school bus.

Oh Bus was in New Jersey, but hey its exclusive.

Fish
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Nothing but bad news and marketing these days... I just don't even watch...

bkkcoh
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Local TV News that spends more time promoting the story they are gonna do than they spend on the story?

Weather Dorks and Dorkettes who make the next front into a 3 minute lesson on wind?

Late breaking stories that occured 7 hours before with some dillweed standing on a street corner after dark doing an On Scene report.

KC news doesn't have a lock on that stuff, Columbus Ohio does the same stuff.

What I really hate is any time they are forecasting anything above 1 inch of snow, all of the local tv stations will have a reporter live from one of the salt barns in the metro area.......

You can bet on it anytime there is a forecast of snow to see that. And they will also interview the representative from Ohio Department of Transportation and how they are going to attack the snow removal.

An everyday substance in your home that could kill your entire family!?!?!?

Details at the top of the hour.
If it was so dangerous, why in the heck can't they tell us now so we can protect ourselves..... :banghead:

Bowser
01-23-2007, 09:20 AM
It doesn't get any better than "Katie Tornado".

stevieray
01-23-2007, 09:21 AM
"Investigating"

:rolleyes:

wutamess
01-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Nothing but bad news and marketing these days... I just don't even watch...

I'm with you.
Unless it's sports & weather occasionally, I don't even watch it because it's nothing but bad news.

BigRedChief
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Every local newscast is styled after a bad SNL skit. Cliche, cliche, cliche.

Why can't one station do it differently?

HonestChieffan
01-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I wondered the same thing...if one would do news and not all this crap, they would dominate

Bowser
01-23-2007, 09:30 AM

http://www.nakednews.com/

TODD
01-23-2007, 09:34 AM
How would you like to live in Kansas And have to listen to Mis-ery news all the time...Mis-ery this mis-ery that...Jeesh....
I know it has to do with local cable (Time Warner).

HarryParatestes
01-23-2007, 09:42 AM
"Mass Murderer loose in the city...details at 10!"

The one that kills me is this: "Police need your help capturing a murderer/rapsit/dangerous escaped convict"

Well CRAP...gotta go help the Cops... again! :banghead:

Bugeater
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
ESPN has set the standard for this practice. They'll throw out a teaser in the intro for SportsCenter, then they'll remind you about it going into every commercial break and then finally at the end of the show they'll have the 30 second bit that ends up being nothing at all.

The Rick
01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't know if they do this where you guys are, but they do it here in Milwaukee.

ANY time there is something big happening nationally, they ALWAYS find some hook in the story to tie it back to Wisconsin. Almost as if they have an inferiority complex or something.

bkkcoh
01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know if they do this where you guys are, but they do it here in Milwaukee.

ANY time there is something big happening nationally, they ALWAYS find some hook in the story to tie it back to Wisconsin. Almost as if they have an inferiority complex or something.

It is Wisconsin, it should have an inferiority complex, afterall, it is a suburb of Chicago. Isn't it???

:banghead:

j/k :p

Demonpenz
01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
i want to be a witness to a train derailed so i can say "It sounded like a tornado!"

crazycoffey
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I just noticed last night, a Career Builder commercial (working with monkeys) it was hyping their very own Superbowl commercial, "Watch Career Builder evolve on Feb 4th, during the big game!" Smart, save money to promote their superbowl commercial, but now it will have to be good because to the pre-hype, IMHO anyway. If it is only moderately funny, it will be a big let down.

kc rush
01-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Because they all have spent a lot of money from some idiot consultant who told them that doing xyz will get great ratings. Ratings = $$$

They all get the same info from the same idiot consultants so they all do the same thing. If you notice something different on the newscast you regularly watch, the rest will be doing it within a month.

journeyscarab
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
If it bleeds, it leads.

Stewie
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
I will NEVER forget Channel 9 about five years ago.

BREAKING NEWS! [that caught my attention]

There are potholes on I-35!

You've got to be ****ing kidding me! This is what it has come to? Sheesh.

Eleazar
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
The local news doesn't even really do sports anymore, and national news is covered much better by the cable media. All they are there for is to show the weather, and the occasional big local story. I mean, does anyone tune in to see who got shot down on Prospect tonight? Nobody wants to see that.

Local news is just about as obsolete as a printed newspaper.

Fire Me Boy!
01-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Because they all have spent a lot of money from some idiot consultant who told them that doing xyz will get great ratings. Ratings = $$$

They all get the same info from the same idiot consultants so they all do the same thing. If you notice something different on the newscast you regularly watch, the rest will be doing it within a month.
Not exactly true... while many news organizations would RATHER do more enterprise stories, the FACT of the matter is, throughout the United States if the news does nice happy stories viewers change the channel.

Everyone bitches about crime overtaking the news, but until the VIEWER says "that's not what I want to see" and puts their channel where their mouth is, it's not gonna change.

Television stations have to make money in order to stay in business. To make money, they have to have advertisers. To get more advertisers they have to have good ratings. To have good ratings they have to put something on TV that will keep the viewers from changing the channel. If you have happy stories, people change the channel, period.

plbrdude
01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
a couple year ago i sat through the entire kq2 news waiting for this big story they hyped all along. then the news was over. no story. i don't know ifn they forgot, or just decided it really wasn't newsworthy.

CosmicPal
01-23-2007, 12:40 PM
The one thing that irks me about the local news here in Denver is that they never talk about the Big 12- particularly during basketball season. It's always CU, CSU, and then fuggen high schools.

I bet kids here in Colorado couldn't even name half of the teams in the Big 12.

The other thing I can't stand about local news, and this occurs everywhere, is how somebody might die in a plane crash in Taiwan and it just so happens that Joe Blow from your local area happened to be on the plane and he turns out to be an enormous hero or something other than the real fact that he was an alcoholic pedophile who was going to Taiwan to pick out a new wife he couldn't score in his own backyard.

Bearcat
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
A while back Fox had an "exclusive interview" with the person that worked for Hallmark with a wife and kids that disappeared to New Orleans without telling anyone... they advertised it for 3 days, then for the first 45 minutes that night.... then they only do half the interview so you had to "stay tuned tomorrow night" :banghead: :cuss:

My favorite was on KMBC one night when someone broke into a DMV and stole a driver license printer... I swear they did three different interviews and asked 3 different people questions like "Who do you think did this" and (seriously) "Why do you think they did this?". One guy looked at the interviewer and said "Well, there's only so many things you can do with an anchor".

chiefqueen
01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
How would you like to live in Kansas And have to listen to Mis-ery news all the time...Mis-ery this mis-ery that...Jeesh....
I know it has to do with local cable (Time Warner).

So are you saying that because I live in MO I don't hear about the job swap between the Johnson County DA and the KS Atty. General, I don't find out about corruption in Edwardsville, or about a twisted love affair between a murderer and a dog trainer on my local TV news?

I didn't know these events happen in MO. I guess I must go back to third grade and retake geography.

bkkcoh
01-23-2007, 01:50 PM
a couple year ago i sat through the entire kq2 news waiting for this big story they hyped all along. then the news was over. no story. i don't know ifn they forgot, or just decided it really wasn't newsworthy.

They got wise.... :toast:

TODD
01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
So are you saying that because I live in MO I don't hear about the job swap between the Johnson County DA and the KS Atty. General, I don't find out about corruption in Edwardsville, or about a twisted love affair between a murderer and a dog trainer on my local TV news?

I didn't know these events happen in MO. I guess I must go back to third grade and retake geography.

No, really i am just saying that the news we get to watch on our cable system(Or read in news papers) are more about Missouri..

Last reply thanks... :hmmm:

vincent
01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
No, really i am just saying that the news we get to watch on our cable system(Or read in news papers) are more about Missouri..

Last reply thanks... :hmmm:

Kansas has it all...they get to come to "our" football games. They get to listen to "our" news. Forget about the bill, MO will pick up the tab.... oh yeah hey MO, you mind throwing in on this speedway thingy we got goin' on here?

sheeesh!

talk about a...
rochambeau

Frazod
01-24-2007, 11:02 AM
The thing I notice about the news up here is that no matter what part of the country a story involves, there has to be a "Chicago connection," whether there is one or not. When the missing kids were found in St. Louis last week, the local news reported it, and then followed up with a story about some missing Chicago kids. Apparently the local media doesn't feel Chicago people can relate to the problems of total strangers in other states unless it can somehow tie them to the problems of total strangers who live in the general area.

"Tonight, corruption in the Delaware Senate race. And we have on the line with us Mr. Joe Blow, a Chicago resident who is a neighbor of the senator's uncle's former roommate." :rolleyes:

MichaelH
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM
ESPN has set the standard for this practice. They'll throw out a teaser in the intro for SportsCenter, then they'll remind you about it going into every commercial break and then finally at the end of the show they'll have the 30 second bit that ends up being nothing at all.

That seems to happen with the Chief's highlights as well.

MichaelH
01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
The thing I notice about the news up here is that no matter what part of the country a story involves, there has to be a "Chicago connection," whether there is one or not. When the missing kids were found in St. Louis last week, the local news reported it, and then followed up with a story about some missing Chicago kids. Apparently the local media doesn't feel Chicago people can relate to the problems of total strangers in other states unless it can somehow tie them to the problems of total strangers who live in the general area.

"Tonight, corruption in the Delaware Senate race. And we have on the line with us Mr. Joe Blow, a Chicago resident who is a neighbor of the senator's uncle's former roommate." :rolleyes:

The same thing happens here. I live west of Charlotte and no matter where the news happens, they somehow find a way to tie it back to Charlotte. An accident could happen in California and the tires that the car had were made here locally. :shake:

PinkFloyd
01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
It doesn't get any better than "Katie Tornado".

I'm glad I read all the threads before posting... I was just going to say that Katie horner rocks !!!!!

When all those tornado's hit here in 2004, she was on the TV from 1 in the afternoon til 1am the next morning !!!! That's without any damn commercials !!! I kept hearing her say, "We should be taking a break right now for commercials, but there's no way I'm leaving the air even for one second... It's just too dangerous out there right now'!!!!

THAT right there is one fine weatherwoman !!!!

HonestChieffan
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
gagging....

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM

It's the same everywhere, not just KC.

Having been in that business... kind of... I can tell you that they do a lot of what they do because they have to fill time. The show is 30 minutes. Saying there is a front coming in takes 2 seconds. So they explain everything to a pulp.

It's annoying but you'd have to do the same if you became a news anchor or weather dork.

PinkFloyd
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM

I miss Polly Parson's... She was hot...