PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Kansas City Chiefs Overachievers in 2006

Direckshun
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
In the name of symmetry, I say!

The opposite of the "disappointments" thread, name the five folks on the team you weren't anticipating to be as good as they proved to be.

1. Damon Huard - Nobody expected this man to perform. But if not for Huard, we would not have made the playoffs this season. Herm's decision to bench Huard in the season's last half was damning to our chances, IMO.

2. Tamba Hali - Who would have thought this guy would edge out Mr. Allen for the most sacks on the team? A fumble machine as well. If we hold onto this guy as long as we should, he'll be a quality bookend DE to continue building this defense around for years.

3. Bernard Pollard - Became one of the most feared special teams players in the league, and in the shadow of Sammy Knight, will have to remain that way for at least another year. Brought a big play to every single game. Maybe we'll see him at linebacker.

4. Kris Wilson - We knew the guy had hands and athleticism. We didn't know the guy would turn out to be a pretty good blocker and one of the few receivers the Chiefs could count on to not drop the ball.

5. Patrick Surtain - Well what do you know. Give Mr. Surtain a halfway decent defense surrounding him and he's a pretty good corner. Now that the Chiefs have more than a prayer in pass rush and the most veteran secondary in the NFL (with young studs knocking on the door), you rarely hear Surtain's name called in a game. He's no shutdown corner but he gave quality performances this year.

Redrum_69
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Huard got us to the playoffs?

at 9-7??

What about all the other AFC teams that we needed to lose that last weekend and we needed to win the last game...

what about all the bashing on this board that we wont make the playoffs

If memory serves...you were a bandwagoneer

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Damon Huard, without a doubt, is #1.

I would put Hali at #2 for the same 2 reasons you did - sacks and forced fumbles.

Also on my list: Pollard, Page, and Wilson

DeepSouth
01-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I had higher expectation for Pollard than a stand out special teams player. If he'd have lived up to my expectations, he'd have been starting at safety instead of Knight by the end of the season.

Direckshun
If memory serves...you were a bandwagoneer
A bandwagoneer for what? Huard?

I actually voted for Green to be the starter when he was healthy enough to return. I didn't change my mind on that until the second half of the Indy game.

htismaqe
I had higher expectation for Pollard than a stand out special teams player. If he'd have lived up to my expectations, he'd have been starting at safety instead of Knight by the end of the season.

We're talking about the Chiefs here. We're lucky we didn't see Eric Hicks starting for half the season...

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
1. Hali - He takes the #1 spot for me simply because I was so outspoken against him during the draft last year. I thought he was too slow to be a playmaker at this level and would end up being a younger version of Eric Hicks. I was completely wrong.

2. Huard - What can you really say, the guy played above and beyond what anyone thought he was capable of.

3. Page - A spark plug and made numerous big plays when he was in the game. One of the best 7th round picks we have ever had, and should be a starter from day one next year.

4. Allen - I know some people may not like this pick since he was expected to play well, but I have to hand it to him for getting better every year. He is a great pass rusher, but he really does everything well: he's great against the run, he deflects passes, he makes tackles, he forces fumbles - he's just an all-around great player, a true "lunch-pail" guy. It's scary to think how good Allen and Hali would be if we could get some legit DTs.

5. Unsure right now.

DeepSouth
01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
We're talking about the Chiefs here. We're lucky we didn't see Eric Hicks starting for half the season...
I should have taken that into consideration. Point taken.

Archie Bunker
01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
1. Page
2. Huard
3. Wilson
4. Hali
5. Pollard

J Diddy
01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
1. Hali - He takes the #1 spot for me simply because I was so outspoken against him during the draft last year. I thought he was too slow to be a playmaker at this level and would end up being a younger version of Eric Hicks. I was completely wrong.

2. Huard - What can you really say, the guy played above and beyond what anyone thought he was capable of.

3. Page - A spark plug and made numerous big plays when he was in the game. One of the best 7th round picks we have ever had, and should be a starter from day one next year.

4. Allen - I know some people may not like this pick since he was expected to play well, but I have to hand it to him for getting better every year. He is a great pass rusher, but he really does everything well: he's great against the run, he deflects passes, he makes tackles, he forces fumbles - he's just an all-around great player, a true "lunch-pail" guy. It's scary to think how good Allen and Hali would be if we could get some legit DTs.

5. Unsure right now.

I disagree with hali, he was a first round draft choice. He should have been factored into consideration before the season even began.

OnTheWarpath15
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Damon Huard, without a doubt, is #1.

I would put Hali at #2 for the same 2 reasons you did - sacks and forced fumbles.

Also on my list: Pollard, Page, and Wilson

Can't argue with those five.

Had Wilkerson played more, I'd consider him.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I disagree with hali, he was a first round draft choice. He should have been factored into consideration before the season even began.

He was tied for THIRED IN THE LEAGUE in forced fumbles.

Jason Taylor - 9
Leonard Little - 7
Demarcus Ware - 5
Tamba Hali - 5

I doubt anybody expected that, 1st-round pick or not.

J Diddy
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM
He was tied for THIRED IN THE LEAGUE in forced fumbles.

Jason Taylor - 9
Leonard Little - 7
Demarcus Ware - 5
Tamba Hali - 5

I doubt anybody expected that, 1st-round pick or not.

that is a stat i would at

Chiefnj
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
1. Huard
2. Page. A 7th round pick getting playing time other than on special teams is unusual.
3. Pollard. Only as to special teams. He overachieved on ST's but underachieved as a safety.
4. Wilson. I didn't expect much other than to be cut.

That's it. I was really big on Hali and he was my choice in the 1st round even before the draft. I kind of expected him to play the way he did.

Easy 6
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Can't argue with those five.

Had Wilkerson played more, I'd consider him.

Yeah, it looks like everyone has the bases covered & i have a good vibe about Jimmy as well, seems like every time he went in the announcers were calling his name.

I predict a breakout 07 for him.

kc rush
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
1. Huard - Overachiever. I wondered if he would even make the roster this year.
2. Page - 7th round pick.
3. Colquitt - Nearly netted 40 yards per. If he would just fall on fumbles.
4. Pollard - Because of his special teams play.
5. Hali - Only because I did expect him to play well (probably not this well though.)

kc rush
01-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, it looks like everyone has the bases covered & i have a good vibe about Jimmy as well, seems like every time he went in the announcers were calling his name.

I predict a breakout 07 for him.

I was debating between Wilkerson and Hali for #5 on my list. If Wilkerson can play at the same level as a super sub next year, I'll be pleased.

StcChief
01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
1. Huard
2. Page
3. Hali
4. Surtain
5. Wilson

madshaw16
01-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm sure glad that Kris Wilson didn't drop a ball in overtime in Cleveland. He sure is clutch.

sedated
01-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Surtain should NOT make this list.

He's our highest paid player, he wouldn't be an overacheiver if he made the pro-bowl.

Hali was a first round pick, production is expected (by most organizations other than the Chiefs).

Pollard - 2nd rounder made great special teams plays, but didn't play much at safety.

Colquitt - 3rd round pick. better be good.

Page and Huard are 1 and 1A.

Page -a 7th round pick, expected to play baseball, become the spark-plug of our defense. He'll start next year. Won the OAK game, gave us a chance in a bunch

Huard - career back-up lead us to winning season. If Green had played the whole year (like he did at the end), we might be drafting in the top 15 instead of bitching about getting our ass kicked in the playoffs.

Direckshun
01-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Surtain should NOT make this list.

He's our highest paid player, he wouldn't be an overacheiver if he made the pro-bowl.
That logic doesn't make a lot of sense. Pay does not necessarily = expectations.

LJ is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Were your expectations incredibly low for him?

Ryan Sims is still being paid in bulk. Were your expectations incredibly high for him?

Extra Point
01-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Huard, Allen, Hali, Johnson, Page