PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Big 12 BB coaches

Mr. Laz
01-24-2007, 10:53 AM
rank them by X's and O's and all related court preparation.

recruiting, money etc doesn't count

List: (in alphabetical order)

Mike Anderson - MU
Rick Barnes - Texas
Jeff Capel III - OU
Scott Drew - BU
Billy Gillispie - Texas A&M
Bob Huggins - KSU
Bob Knight - TT
Greg McDermott - ISU
Ricardo Patton - CU
Doc Sadler - NU
Bill Self - KU
Sean Sutton - OSU

duncan_idaho
01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
In terms of pure coaching? Xs and Os and getting the most out of players? Here's that list:

Bob Knight - TT
Greg McDermott - ISU
Scott Drew - BU
Mike Anderson - MU
Bob Huggins - KSU
Sean Sutton - OSU
Rick Barnes - Texas
Doc Sadler - NU
Jeff Capel III - OU
Ricardo Patton - CU

KCFalcon59
01-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Men's basketball List:

Bob Knight - TT:loser:
Rick Barnes - Texas:loser:
Bob Huggins - KSU:ksu:
Billy Gillispie - Texas A&M:loser:
Bill Self - KU :KU:
Sean Sutton - OSU:loser:
Greg McDermott - ISU:loser:
Mike Anderson - MU:mizzou::loser:
Ricardo Patton - CU:loser:
Doc Sadler - NU:loser:
Scott Drew - BU:loser:
Jeff Capel III - OU:loser:

Mr. Laz
01-24-2007, 12:13 PM
In terms of pure coaching? Xs and Os and getting the most out of players? Here's that list:

Bob Knight - TT
Greg McDermott - ISU
Scott Drew - BU
Mike Anderson - MU
Bob Huggins - KSU
Sean Sutton - OSU
Rick Barnes - Texas
Doc Sadler - NU
Jeff Capel III - OU
Ricardo Patton - CU

1...2...3...4...5...6....7...8...9...10...11....???

HonestChieffan
01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Knight, Self

the rest

Saulbadguy
01-24-2007, 12:33 PM
In terms of what? X's and O's? Recruting prowess? Winning %? Anyways, gut feeling:

1. RMK
2. Billy Gillispie
3. Bob Huggins
4. Bill Self
5. Sean Sutton
6. Rick Barnes
7. Greg McDermott
8. Scott Drew
9. Jeff Capel
10. Mike Anderson
11. Doc Sadler
12. Ricardo Patton

This is kind of a bullshit question because alot of these coaches are new. Plus some are good gameday coaches, others are good recruiters, some are both.

Saulbadguy
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Bob Knight - TT
Greg McDermott - ISU
Scott Drew - BU
Mike Anderson - MU
Bob Huggins - KSU
Sean Sutton - OSU
Rick Barnes - Texas
Doc Sadler - NU
Jeff Capel III - OU
Ricardo Patton - CU
Of all the obvious flaws in this list, i'll pick on listing Scott Drew as III. He has his talent in there now, and there is ALOT of talent, so why are they 1-3 in the Big XII coming off a huge blowout to OU?

Saulbadguy
01-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure how i'd rank them going by pure x's and o's. Alot of it is unknown due to the coaches being new,and me not knowing a whole lot about them.

I'd obviously list RMK as the best. Past that, I think Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins, and even Ricardo Patton are solid X's and O's coaches. I assume Sean Sutton is due to his upbringing.

Billy G. is overrated IMO. He just teaches bad basketball, which is hack everyone like crazy to dictate the tempo of the game, and try to get your biggest guy on the low post to foul.

Self is average. He is like Billy G (same tutelage for the most part), they run similar systems.

duncan_idaho
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Bob Knight - TT
Greg McDermott - ISU
Scott Drew - BU
Mike Anderson - MU
Bob Huggins - KSU
Sean Sutton - OSU
Rick Barnes - Texas
Doc Sadler - NU
Jeff Capel III - OU
Ricardo Patton - CU

Oops. Left Bill Self out in the cut and paste... meant to slip him in between Barnes and Sadler.

Saul -
I guess I'm still giving Drew credit for the job he did when he to Baylor. I was highly impressed then...

I agree with you that it's hard to do these things ... it's even harder when there are so many new coaches around. I based mine, like I said, on Xs and Os ability AND what they do with the talent they have. That's why Barnes and Self (guys who have done relatively little with a lot of talent) rate fairly low in my book and guys like Drew and McDermott (who have coached up the small amount of talent they have) rate so highly.

I agree with you that Gillispie coaches an ugly brand of basketball... but it's no uglier than what Barnes does.

I just thank God Bruce Weber isn't the coach at kU. That team would be unstoppable with him at the helm... well, until Self's recruits left. :)

Saulbadguy
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I just don't see it with Drew. He hasn't coached them up. They have alot of talent on that team, they should be winning more games.

duncan_idaho
01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
I just don't see it with Drew. He hasn't coached them up. They have alot of talent on that team, they should be winning more games.

Haven't seen them this year... but I know there is talent there now.

I'm talking about a few years back... I saw them in Columbia and was impressed with the job Drew did. Of course, the coach he was being compared to that day was Quin Snyder, so maybe that skewed things a bit.

:)

Either way, I'll be watching closely when Mizzou plays Baylor. You may very well be right.

big nasty kcnut
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
not in order these the top five.
Bob Huggins - KSU
Bob Knight - TT
Bill Self - KU
Sean Sutton - OSU

hawkchief
01-24-2007, 04:07 PM
1. Knight - best motivator
2. Self - best recruiter at best program
.Barnes - best facilities
Sutton - good arena, fan support
Gillespie - will go big time soon
Anderson - good motivator
Thuggins - picks up good athletes no one else wants
.the rest

ChiTown
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM

I was at the Baylor v KSU game last week. Drew was HORRID!!!!!!!!! He absolutely had KSU boxed in during the 2nd half. They were doing it with an inside game, and built an 11 point lead. KSU called a timeout, and BU went to a 3 point barrage from then on, and couldn't hit their ass with either hand. They didn't even ATTEMPT to go inside. Pathetic coaching if you ask me.

With the type of talent he has, he's number 9 or so on the B12 list.

manchambo
01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Being a CU fan, I have to agree wholeheartedly with those ranking Ricardo as the worst. Will we never know what goods he has, and on whom, to have allowed him to keep his job this long?

It's not just that he has so consistently failed to bring in good talent, it is also that he has failed to develop and coach talent when he has been lucky enough to get it: that team a few years back with David Harrison and that pretty good swingman, I forget his name, would have won a lot of games under Bob Knight.

NaptownChief
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
1 Knight

2 Gillespie

3 Self

then everybody else.

supercoupe91
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Jeff Capel just beat Baylor by 40 with inferior talent. I seriously doubt he is in the bottom tier of coaches. Drew is though.

Mr. Kotter
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Knight
Self
Barnes
Huggins
Gillespie

The rest

DJay23
01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
rank them by X's and O's and all related court preparation.

recruiting, money etc doesn't count

List: (in alphabetical order)

Mike Anderson - MU
Rick Barnes - Texas
Jeff Capel III - OU
Scott Drew - BU
Bob Huggins - KSU
Bob Knight - TT
Greg McDermott - ISU
Ricardo Patton - CU
Doc Sadler - NU
Bill Self - KU
Sean Sutton - OSU

This is hard to do what with half of them being new this year to the Big XII and only halfway through the season. Based on what little I've seen of SOME of these guys:

1) Bob Knight (Far and away)
2) Billy Gillispie
3) Rick Barnes
4) Mike Anderson
5) Bob Huggins
6) Greg McDermott
7) Bill Self
8) Sean Sutton
9) Scott Drew
10) Jeff Capel
11) Doc Sadler
12) Ricardo Patton

Saulbadguy
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
1. Knight - best motivator
2. Self - best recruiter at best program
.Barnes - best facilities
Sutton - good arena, fan support
Gillespie - will go big time soon
Anderson - good motivator
Thuggins - picks up good athletes no one else wants
.the rest
"good motivator"

Yeah, he is much better than THUGGINS.

hawkchief
01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
"good motivator"

Yeah, he is much better than THUGGINS.

Agreed.

Thuggins gets better talent than Knight since he will take players with baggage that Bobby and most other D 1 coaches won't touch with a ten foot pole.

MCMW

Chan93lx50
01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
#1 Steve Alford........... Oh wait nevermind

supercoupe91
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
#1 Steve Alford........... Oh wait nevermind

Iowa basketball sucks, oh wait nevermind.

BWillie
01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Why do you guys all put Bob Knight at #1 or #2? I don't understand. This day and age you have to be able to recruit, and Bob Knight can't recruit for shit. I think Bobby is by far and away the best IN GAME and X's and O's coach out there but coaching these days is more than that. You have to have great charisma, have a likable personality, and be able to charm 5 Star kids to come to your school. I would not put Knight that far up there, unless you are talking about the overall picture. If you are talking about how good the coach is RIGHT NOW, I would put Knight as #3 behind Gillespie and Rick Barnes, then Knight, then Self. After that, who cares.

If you would of let Knight coach KU the last 3 years do you think we would of got Chalmers, DA, Collins, Rush, and all of those guys? Ha, hell no. You have to give the guy credit though, he gets it done with Jarrius Jackson and Martin Zeno.

beer bacon
01-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Why do you guys all put Bob Knight at #1 or #2? I don't understand. This day and age you have to be able to recruit, and Bob Knight can't recruit for shit. I think Bobby is by far and away the best IN GAME and X's and O's coach out there but coaching these days is more than that. You have to have great charisma, have a likable personality, and be able to charm 5 Star kids to come to your school. I would not put Knight that far up there, unless you are talking about the overall picture. If you are talking about how good the coach is RIGHT NOW, I would put Knight as #3 behind Gillespie and Rick Barnes, then Knight, then Self. After that, who cares.

If you would of let Knight coach KU the last 3 years do you think we would of got Chalmers, DA, Collins, Rush, and all of those guys? Ha, hell no. You have to give the guy credit though, he gets it done with Jarrius Jackson and Martin Zeno.

I am pretty sure if you put Knight at a Duke or Kansas he would still get plenty of big name recruits.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I think once Anderson gets "his" guys in this team will be real fun to watch. i like how he has done, he just might save MU.

Saulbadguy
01-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Can't you read, dipshit?

"rank them by X's and O's and all related court preparation.

recruiting, money etc doesn't count"

Mr. Laz
02-04-2007, 11:22 AM
anyone care to change their rankings now?

Saulbadguy
02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
anyone care to change their rankings now?
Mine is still looking pretty accurate.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2007, 11:28 AM
1) Bob Knight (Far and away)
2) Billy Gillispie
3) Rick Barnes
4) Mike Anderson
5) Bob Huggins
6) Greg McDermott
7) Bill Self
8) Sean Sutton
9) Scott Drew
10) Jeff Capel
11) Doc Sadler
12) Ricardo Patton

yours is looking pretty good at this point ... although i might flip-flop Rick Barnes and Bob huggins.

DJay23
02-04-2007, 01:38 PM
yours is looking pretty good at this point ... although i might flip-flop Rick Barnes and Bob huggins.
I noticed that too.

I wouldn't switch the two. They're both really good recruiters and all, but X's and O's suspect (though better than Self). Just becuase Huggy's purple clad lads were outside their brains from 3 doesn't necessarily mean Huggins is a better coach.