PDA

View Full Version : OUTRAGEOUS INJUSTICE: ON ESPN FRONT PAGE

BWillie
01-24-2007, 11:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson

Kind of a repost, but this story is getting a ton of attention now, and it damn well should. This is about the story of the 17 year old black homecoming king, 3.3 GPA scholar athlete gettin' a hummer from a 10th grade 15 year old girl when he was a senior in HS. They get into the details in the article about how everything went down..

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- There is a cardboard box in Genarlow Wilson's old bedroom.

The Bernstein Firm
Despite lacking size, overachieving Genarlow Wilson was being recruited by several college football programs.

It rests on the floor of his empty closet, near the deflated football and basketball. It's filled with things he needed in his old life. Mostly, it's overflowing with recruiting letters, from schools big and small. A "Good luck on the SAT" postcard from the coaches at Columbia. From another Ivy League college, Brown, a note from the football coach: "You have been recommended to me as one of the top scholar-athletes in your area."

There's a questionnaire from the Citadel. A brochure from Elon. An envelope from Sewanee. College after college, all wanting the undersized but overachieving Genarlow Wilson to consider their football programs. One open letter, dated three months before everything in this box became a reminder of a life derailed, invites him to take a campus visit. It begins:

Dear Genarlow,

Here you stand, on the threshold of four of the most influential, challenging, and rewarding years of your life.

Being Inmate No. 1187055
Genarlow Wilson is standing on a threshold all right, at the end of the last hall of Burruss Correctional Training Center, an hour and a half south of Atlanta. He's just a few feet from the mechanical door that closes with a goosebump-raising whurr and clang. Three and a half years after he received that letter, he's wearing a blue jacket with big, white block letters. They read: STATE PRISONER.

He's 20 now. Just two years into a 10-year sentence without possibility of parole, he peers through the thick glass and bars, trying to catch a glimpse of freedom. Outside, guard towers and rolls of coiled barbed wire remind him of who he is.
Video
Genarlow Wilson explains why he wouldn't take a plea bargain. Watch

Video courtesy of ABCNews Primetime live. Stay tuned to ABC News for updates on this story.

Once, he was the homecoming king at Douglas County High. Now he's Georgia inmate No. 1187055, convicted of aggravated child molestation.

When he was a senior in high school, he received oral sex from a 10th grader. He was 17. She was 15. Everyone, including the girl and the prosecution, agreed she initiated the act. But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex.

Afterward, the state legislature changed the law to include an oral sex clause, but that doesn't help Wilson. In yet another baffling twist, the law was written to not apply to cases retroactively, though another legislative solution might be in the works. The case has drawn national condemnation, from the "Free Genarlow Wilson Now" editorial in The New York Times to a feature on Mark Cuban's HDNet.

"It's disgusting," Cuban wrote to ESPN in an e-mail. "I can not see any way, shape or form that the interests of the state of Georgia are served by throwing away Genarlow's youth and opportunity to become a vibrant contributor to the state. All his situation does is reinforce some unfortunate stereotypes that the state is backward and misgoverned. No one with a conscience can look at this case and conclude that justice has been served."

Wilson's mother, Juanessa Bennett, certainly doesn't understand. She has just bought a new house the next county over, hoping that a change of scenery might do her good. The past few years have been hard on her.

"You think, what in the world could I have done to God to make him punish me like this?" she says. "Am I that terrible a person?"

Tracy Smith/Special to ESPN.com
"It was like I had everything one day, and the next day I didn't have anything," Wilson says.

Her home feels empty without her son in it. He's not there to enjoy the five burgers for five bucks on Tuesday at the Sonic Drive-In, or chatting away on his telephone late at night. Now, she can only think about the past three years of their lives, and how everything is so different from before.

She points to a picture above her fireplace. There's a grinning 3-year-old boy in the frame, posing with big alphabet blocks.

"He was cute, huh?" she says, quietly.

She looks at the picture, but doesn't cry. There aren't many tears left. After it first happened, she says she cried so much she got an eye infection. Bumps broke out on her face, brought on by worry and grief.

"You need to stop stressing," the doctor told her.

She asked him how exactly she might do that.

"He didn't have an answer," Bennett says.

Now, she's numb. Now, she can only remember the boy he was and pray that when his ordeal is finally over, some of that boy will remain.

The image of a bright future dimming with each passing day is what infuriates so many people. Wilson should be held up as an example of a kid who was making it. His life should be protected by society, not destroyed. He was a good student, with a 3.2 grade point average. He was popular, the school's homecoming king, liked by students and teachers. He never got into any trouble with the law. He was a track and football star. His last two years, he was the defensive back assigned to cover Calvin Johnson, the former Sandy Creek High star who went on to Georgia Tech and is now projected as a top pick in the NFL draft. Wilson studied film, trying to figure out how to outsmart a better and taller athlete. He did well, coaches remember, limiting Johnson to four catches in two games.

Three years later, sitting in their office overlooking the field, finishing up another workday, Wilson's old coaches also remember a good but not great high school player who would have played college ball. They remember his last game, in the playoffs, way down in south Georgia. He got hit so hard on a kickoff return that he ended up spitting up blood on the sideline. The trainer shined a flashlight in his eye, figuring he had a concussion. Wilson grabbed his helmet, determined to go back in the game. He went to the hospital instead.

The Bernstein Firm
From drinking to smoking pot to acting like a cocky star athlete, Wilson now cringes at some of the mistakes he made in high school.

He admits he wasn't perfect. Far from it. He drank. He smoked pot. He'd been sexually active since he was 13. And a month or so after that final playoff game, he and some buddies were plotting a New Year's Eve bash. His mama heard them whispering in his bedroom that afternoon. She knew kids whispering usually meant trouble, so she went in and looked those boys up and down.

"Don't do anything stupid," she warned.

Something Stupid
Genarlow Wilson and his friends checked into the Days Inn right off Interstate 20. At some point in the night, according to court documents and evidence presented at trial, some girls came over to party with them. Bourbon and marijuana were consumed. One of the young men turned on a video camera.

Later in the evening, a 17-year-old girl began to have sex with the young men, first in the bathroom, then on the bed. Genarlow is captured on tape appearing to have sex with the girl from behind. Her hand is clearly visible on the floor supporting herself. Witnesses said she was a willing participant.

The next morning, the girl awoke in a stupor, wearing nothing but her socks. She called her mother and said she had been raped. Police came to the room after sunrise and took the revelers in for questioning. Genarlow had already gone home -- he didn't want to miss curfew -- but the video camera remained.

On tape, the cops saw a 15-year-old girl, a 10th-grader, performing oral sex on a partygoer and, after finishing with him, turning and performing the act on Genarlow. She was the instigator, according to her mother's testimony. Problem was, the girl was a year under the age of consent. Local prosecutors called the act aggravated child molestation, following the letter and not the spirit of the law, which was designed to prosecute pedophiles.

A week later, on the first day of the second semester of his senior year, the police went to the school and arrested the boys. Wilson was charged with four felonies and taken from the building in handcuffs. Not long before, he'd been in the newspaper for being all-conference in football. Now, he was on the front page, branded a rapist and child molester.

"It was like I had everything one day," he says, "and the next day I didn't have anything."

For the next eight months, Douglas County District Attorney David McDade, who likes to wear an American flag in his lapel and play to his law-and-order-loving base, dangled plea bargains. The other boys didn't want to risk a jury, and one by one each took an offer and went to prison, including the other football player arrested, Narada Williams, who accepted five years with the possibility of parole.

In Douglas County, according to law professors following about the case, admitting sins and begging forgiveness -- not insisting on your innocence -- is the road to mercy. Williams is already out of jail, in part because McDade wrote a letter to the parole board, praising Williams for being the first to plead guilty and "take his medicine." As for Wilson, McDade called him a "martyr" in the media.

The Bernstein Firm
If he had accepted the plea bargain, Wilson would've had to register as a sex offender and wouldn't have been permitted to live in the same house as his younger sister.

Wilson refused to admit to being a child molester. If he pled to or was convicted of any charge that put him on the sex offender registry, he couldn't live at home with his younger sister. He wouldn't accept that, so he waited for his trial.

The Saturday before it began, his last weekend as a free man, Wilson tried out for a local semi-pro football team. He wanted to be that other person once more, the one who could outrun all of life's problems. For two glorious hours, he sprinted and jumped and dived. When it was over, the coaches were impressed. They traded cell phone numbers, just another opportunity that would soon pass him by.

Two days later, in February 2005, Genarlow Wilson walked into a courtroom. Two charges already had been dropped, and it was clear from the first witness that the rape charge wouldn't stick either. The aggravated child molestation, though, was on tape. Genarlow tried to defend himself against the assigned prosecutor, Eddie Barker.

"Sir," Wilson told him, "you don't even know me. I understand you're just doing your job, sure, but I mean, how would you feel if you were my age and you were put on the stand with these serious charges at this young age? I have a little sister. Why would I molest anyone, sir?"

"I'm not on trial here, Mr. Wilson," Barker said. "You're the one who did these acts, not me."

The day before the trial was expected to end, in the last night he'd ever spend at his home, Wilson went to a church down the street and asked the preacher to pray with him. He awoke early the next morning. He knotted his tie carefully and went to the courthouse. The trial finished that afternoon, and the jury came back with "not guilty" on the rape but "guilty" on the aggravated child molestation.

He looked at the forewoman. She was crying, seeming to understand they'd just undone a promising future. Indeed, when the jurors found out there was a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence, several were incensed. The prosecution told them to write a letter, then moved on to the next case.

Genarlow Wilson put his head in his hands and wept.

Once identified as a promising football prospect, Wilson is now just known as inmate No. 1187055.

Deputies yanked him from his seat. Not long after, Prisoner 1187055 found himself in the predawn darkness, riding in a bus, surrounded not by his teammates but by murderers, thieves and rapists. Some were headed to the penitentiary for the second or third time.

A scared kid looked out the window as the bus chewed up pavement. He didn't know what it was going to be like, only that he didn't want to go.

Doing Hard Time
Wilson moves to the rhythm of the prison now, up early with the shift change, tidying his cell, sitting down to rest before chow, wearing white pants with a blue stripe. It has been 23 months.

These walls and bars haven't taken his youth, though. Not yet. When he smiles, it's the same one from that old photo on his mom's mantel. Bennett wonders how her son has managed to keep that light in such a dark place and how much longer he can hold out.

With nothing but time, he has taken stock of his old life. He doesn't like the person he was back then, the cocky star athlete with the world as his yo-yo. When he thinks about the kid on that videotape, with a Pittsburgh Pirates hat cocked just so, he cringes.

"It's embarrassing to me," he says. "You see yourself. ... 'Man, I acted like that?' "

He has followed his appeals from behind bars. He watched as the state legislature changed the law that put him there, then declined to make it retroactive, for reasons that still boggle the mind. That was a dark day.

He watched as B.J. Bernstein, his new attorney, filed a petition for writ of certiorari, asking the Georgia Supreme Court to review the case. The petition was denied, then set aside, then denied again, then appealed, then denied again. Those were darker days.

The first time the Supreme Court voted on Genarlow's case, it was 4-3. The four judges who voted against the black teen were white. The three judges who voted for him were black.

"I don't understand the Supreme Court," Bennett says. "Do these people not have hearts? Can they not look and see this isn't right?"

Wilson's attorney, B.J. Bernstein, is working pro bono to try to get her client out of prison.

In its decision, the Supreme Court called Wilson a "promising young man," a paragraph that he has read a thousand times. All the e-mails Bernstein gets in support of him, he has those, too. He reads them over and over, reminding himself that he once had a future and, one day, might have it again. It's not easy.

Other people's lives have moved on.

He has corresponded with Williams, his co-defendant and old high school teammate. Williams is enrolled in college now.

Wilson sat in prison and watched Calvin Johnson, the guy he once covered, become the best college receiver in the country and a soon-to-be millionaire.

"That has made my ambitions higher," Wilson says. "That makes me want to succeed even more because I don't want to be left behind."

The Halls of Power
In Atlanta, Bernstein makes her rounds at the state capitol. It's the first day of the legislative session and men in power ties click their wingtips over marble floors, lobbyists back-slapping each other in their little groups.

"He's sitting in jail," she says. "He's in jail every day they're sitting around chatting."

Instead of an Ivy League school, Wilson went straight from Douglas County High to Burruss Correctional Training Center.

When Bernstein met Wilson, who had a different attorney for the trial, she saw that light in his eyes and didn't want prison to extinguish it. Truth is, she's a rescuer. One of her cats she found on the interstate. She stopped her car in the rain on a six-lane highway to save it. In her heart, she wants to save the world, starting with Genarlow Wilson. That means working pro bono, even as every small check the firm earns goes straight into the operating account. That means figuring out this strange power-brokers' dance.

It's frustrating work. No one involved believes Wilson should be in jail for 10 years.

The prosecutors don't.

The Supreme Court doesn't.

The legislature doesn't.

The 15-year-old "victim" doesn't.

The forewoman of the jury doesn't.

Privately, even prison officials don't.

Yet no one will do anything to free him, passing responsibility around like a hot potato. The prosecutors say they were just doing their job. The Supreme Court says it couldn't free him because the state legislature decreed the new law didn't apply to old cases, even though this case was the entire reason the new law was passed. One possible explanation is that Bernstein, an admitted neophyte at backroom dealing, simply didn't know enough politics to insist on the provision. That haunts her.

As an honor student, football star and homecoming king, Wilson conquered challenges in high school ... but he now faces an uncertain future.

The legislature still could pass a new law that would secure Wilson's freedom, so Bernstein is pushing hard for that. One such bipartisan bill was introduced this week, pushed by state Sens. Emanuel Jones, Dan Weber and Kasim Reed. This is Wilson's best shot.

"I understand the injustice in the justice system," Jones says, "and when I heard about Genarlow and started studying what had happened, I said, 'This is a wrong that must be righted.' Everyone agrees that justice is not being served."

Afterward, Bernstein can file a writ of habeas corpus, which could get him out of jail, but those are legal Hail Marys. She's a true believer, but if the legislature denies this latest attempt, she knows she might not be able to save Genarlow Wilson. Until it's over, nothing's off the table. Not even simple positive thinking. Sitting at a midtown-Atlanta Chinese restaurant on a lunch break from all the political wrangling, she picked up her fortune cookie, smiled thinly and said, "Gimme a good one: Genarlow will be free."

She's still working every angle, from the capital to cookies, riding up an elevator to the 53rd floor of an Atlanta high-rise to see David Balser, the attorney who got Marcus Dixon out of jail. The Dixon case was similar: As an 18-year-old, he had sex with a 15-year-old girl and was sentenced to 10 years before the conviction was overturned.

Sitting in a conference room overlooking Stone Mountain, Balser listens. The light shines off his gold cufflinks, the high-thread-count shirt hanging perfectly off his shoulders. He's got a little salt in his pepper and a Virgin Islands tan. They talk media strategy. They talk last-ditch plans, including a constitutional amendment returning pardon power to the governor. When they're done, Balser walks Bernstein to the elevator.

"I think less is more, B.J.," he says. "You've got to get him out and solve the world's problems after that. Just get him out."

"I'm trying," she says.

"I have faith in you," he says.

Letter of the Law
Every story needs a villain, and in this one, the villain's hat has been placed squarely on the head of Barker, the prosecutor and a former college baseball player. Barker doesn't write the laws in the books to the left of his desk. He simply punishes those who break them.

"We didn't want him to get the 10 years," he says. "We understand there's an element out there scratching their heads, saying, 'How does a kid get 10 years under these facts?' "

In Barker's eyes, Wilson should have taken the same plea agreement as the others. Maintaining innocence in the face of the crushing wheels of justice is the ultimate act of vanity, he believes.

"I understand what he's saying," Barker says. "I think he's making a bad decision in the long run. Being branded a sex offender is not good; but at the same time, if it made the difference between spending 10 years as opposed to two? Is it worth sitting in prison for eight more years, and you're still gonna be a sex offender when you get out?"

Barker is quick to point out that he offered Wilson a plea after he'd been found guilty -- the first time he has ever done that. Of course, the plea was the same five years he'd offered before the trial -- not taking into account the rape acquittal. Barker thinks five years is fair for receiving oral sex from a schoolmate. None of the other defendants insisted on a jury trial. Wilson did. He rolled the dice, and he lost. The others, he says, "took their medicine."

While Bernstein works on every possible legal solution, the Douglas County District Attorney's Office has the power to get Wilson out of prison. If the prosecution wanted, this could all end tomorrow. The D.A.'s office says Bernstein hasn't asked. Bernstein says she has. Not that any legal he said/she said matters. Only the prosecutors' opinion does, and according to at least one legal expert, prosecutorial ego is more of a factor in this case than race. The folks in Douglas County are playing god with Genarlow Wilson's life.

"We can set aside his sentence," Barker says. "Legally, it's still possible for us to set aside his sentence and give him a new sentence to a lesser charge. But it's up to us. He has no control over it."

The position of Barker and the district attorney, McDade, who refused to comment, is that Wilson is guilty under the law and there is no room for mercy, though the facts seem to say they simply chose not to give it to Wilson. At the same time this trial was under way, a local high school teacher, a white female, was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a student -- a true case of child molestation. The teacher received 90 days. Wilson received 3,650 days.

Now, if Wilson wants a shot at getting out, he must throw himself at the prosecutors' feet and ask for mercy, which he might or might not receive. Joseph Heller would love this. If Wilson would only admit to being a child molester, he could stop receiving the punishment of one. Maybe.

"Well," Barker says, "the one person who can change things at this point is Genarlow. The ball's in his court."

Hanging On To Hope
Back at Burruss, Genarlow Wilson is standing against the wall, looking out through the glass of the control room, peering between the bars, watching his attorney and another visitor leave. He has had plenty of people who want to talk to him, including a group of concerned legislators who plan on visiting this week, which finally feels like a real step toward freedom. Problem is, they always go home after an hour or two. He stays behind.

The worst is when his mom comes. She visited on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, bringing him news of the outside world and a smile. She told him about the new house she bought, just over the Cobb County line, finally out of Douglas. She doesn't want him moving back there when he's released. Saying goodbye, though, kills him. He watches her go and is taken back to his cell, where he can just imagine her in her car, imagining him in this prison.

Wilson is facing another eight years behind bars if his sentence is upheld.

"When she leaves, a part of me leaves," he says. "I just have to get myself back together because we've got a long way to go. I try not to think about doing the whole 10. I'm putting claims on going home this year."

Hope is all he has left. He believes in a system that has failed him. He believes in those powerful men down in Atlanta. He believes in the kindness of others, and in the skills of Bernstein. He lets her work, spending most of his days in the prison library, reading all the books he can. Sometimes, he pretends he's a character, living in a fantasy world, not in a cellblock.

When the weather's nice, he can run laps around the yard, as if he's still on a football field, chasing down future first-round picks. The burn in his lungs feels like a time long past. It feels like freedom.

He looks through the windows just a moment more, sadness in his eyes, then turns around. Wilson stares down the hall of his prison, waiting on a day when he can go home.

"I've got a real good feeling about what's going on," he says. "I feel like 2007 is it. This is my year."

His mom has the house ready for him because any day now, her baby's coming back. She just knows it. Over past the dryer, that's his new bedroom. She picked it because it's close to the garage, so he could come and go as he pleases. She thought he deserved that.

Everything's set, in case it's tomorrow. She left the rapper posters rolled up, figuring a man would be coming home. She set out his football trophies and his high school diploma, to remind him what he used to be. She hooked up a television and a stereo. An alarm clock is on the nightstand, so he can get himself up for school. Even the bed is made.

The only thing missing is her son.

01-24-2007, 11:03 PM
too much to read.

Silock
01-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Georgia sucks.

That pretty much sums up the article.

88TG88
01-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Georgia sucks.

That pretty much sums up the article.
indeed

KurtCobain
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
could someone shorten this up for me? quick notes perhaps?

01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
So Joey finally ran away?

Phobia
01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Courts screw it up every day. I feel for the guy.

Jenson71
01-24-2007, 11:14 PM

This kid was a good student/athlete. He had oral sex when he was 17 with a 15 yo girl. And now he's in prison for 10 years. "but because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex."

big nasty kcnut
01-24-2007, 11:16 PM
That terrible being punished for getting a bj.

SPchief
01-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Remember kids, always ask for ID before getting a BJ

Uncle_Ted
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Courts screw it up every day. I feel for the guy.

This had nothing to do with the courts screwing up. It's the legislators and their knee-jerk supporters who push for these ridiculous minimum sentences because they want to appear to be "tough on crime" and they think judges are too "liberal".

The other safeguard that failed here is the prosecutor. who is supposed to exercise "prosecutorial discretion" to make sure that justice is done, not just blindly follow the literal letter of the law. Of course, that is now the exception rather than the rule.

I feel for the guy too. But the blame lies with the politicians who continue to marginalize the role of the court system, not the courts themselves.

|Zach|
01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I am trying to figure out which is worse. The idea of this kid being in prison for something of that nature or the fact that so many people can't sit for 3 mins to read the article itself but the take the time to ask others to explain it to them.

Scary on both accounts.

Phobia
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
This had nothing to do with the courts screwing up. It's the legislators and their knee-jerk supporters who push for these ridiculous minimum sentences because they want to appear to be "tough on crime" and they think judges are too "liberal".

The other safeguard that failed here is the prosecutor. who is supposed to exercise "prosecutorial discretion" to make sure that justice is done, not just blindly follow the literal letter of the law. Of course, that is now the exception rather than the rule.

I feel for the guy too. But the blame lies with the politicians who continue to marginalize the role of the court system, not the courts themselves.

I was using the broadest sense of the word "court". Obviously the prosecutor screwed the pooch - he's an officer of the "court".

Eric
01-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Kansas now has that law that states if a girl lies about her age you can still go to jail if they aren't 18.

noa
01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm glad ESPN is publicizing this story. Someone needs to intervene on this guy's behalf cause he is getting royally screwed.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2007, 12:57 AM
This kid needs to get the eff out of there. I hope the media gets ahold of this and runs with it. Probably the biggest load of bullshit I have read in a long time. I def. feel for the guy, insane what could've been for him if this didn't happen. I just hope he gets out soon.

Mecca
01-25-2007, 12:59 AM
This will get really retarded when it does come up and they release him and some dumbass conservative/religious group protests his release.

Logical
01-25-2007, 01:02 AM
I am trying to figure out which is worse. The idea of this kid being in prison for something of that nature or the fact that so many people can't sit for 3 mins to read the article itself but the take the time to ask others to explain it to them.

Scary on both accounts.3 minutes you must be a sped redder.

vincent
01-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Seems Georgia is quickly becoming known for this...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/21/athlete.appeal.ap/index.html

Sure-Oz
01-25-2007, 01:14 AM
If this kid gets out soon, i could see this becoming a movie.

el borracho
01-25-2007, 01:19 AM
I am a little confused. Genarlow chose not to take the plea bargain that was offered because he did not want the sex offender label. Since he was convicted of the crime, he recieved the sex offender label, anyway. At this point, the prosecutor offered him the same plea bargain (which would have greatly reduced the prison time) but Genarlow again chose not to take the plea bargain. Why the hell didn't he take the bargain? At this point, what negative would there have been to accepting the plea bargain? Am I missing something?

People want to villify the prosecutor but, according to the article, the prosecutor seems willing to make the same bargain and, if I am understanding this correctly, Genarlow hasn't asked. Why would he not ask? It makes no sense.

By the way, the BJ wasn't just a BJ from a younger girlfriend. It was part of an underage orgy that Genarlow and his friends videotaped. He doesn't deserve 10 years, but he earned some jail time and the sex offender label, IMO.

SPchief
01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
I am a little confused. Genarlow chose not to take the plea bargain that was offered because he did not want the sex offender label. Since he was convicted of the crime, he recieved the sex offender label, anyway. At this point, the prosecutor offered him the same plea bargain (which would have greatly reduced the prison time) but Genarlow again chose not to take the plea bargain. Why the hell didn't he take the bargain? At this point, what negative would there have been to accepting the plea bargain? Am I missing something?

People want to villify the prosecutor but, according to the article, the prosecutor seems willing to make the same bargain and, if I am understanding this correctly, Genarlow hasn't asked. Why would he not ask? It makes no sense.

By the way, the BJ wasn't just a BJ from a younger girlfriend. It was part of an underage orgy that Genarlow and his friends videotaped. He doesn't deserve 10 years, but he earned some jail time and the sex offender label, IMO.

I'm guessing he is trying to get his conviction overruled by means of the new law.

Although the new law says it doesn't include previous cases. He is trying to get his case dropped becuase the new law was based on his case.

el borracho
01-25-2007, 01:28 AM
I'm guessing he is trying to get his conviction overruled by means of the new law.

Although the new law says it doesn't include previous cases. He is trying to get his case dropped becuase the new law was based on his case.
Get the case dropped how? The new law says it's legal to receive oral sex from 15 year old girls?

SPchief
01-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Get the case dropped how? The new law says it's legal to receive oral sex from 15 year old girls?

If I'm reading the article right, it is no longer a Felony to recieve oral sex from a 15 year old when you are 17

Sure-Oz
01-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm sorry the prosecuter and the state of georgia sucks big balls.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2007, 01:33 AM
This part was the most disturbing

"At the same time this trial was under way, a local high school teacher, a white female, was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a student -- a true case of child molestation. The teacher received 90 days. Wilson received 3,650 days."

el borracho
01-25-2007, 01:36 AM
If I'm reading the article right, it is no longer a Felony to recieve oral sex from a 15 year old when you are 17
I guess I am still confused... would he still be considered a sex offender under the new law? Because that was the stated sticking point for Genarlow, wasn't it? He did not want the sex offender label.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2007, 01:38 AM
I guess I am still confused... would he still be considered a sex offender under the new law? Because that was the stated sticking point for Genarlow, wasn't it? He did not want the sex offender label.
This may be the main reason

"If he had accepted the plea bargain, Wilson would've had to register as a sex offender and wouldn't have been permitted to live in the same house as his younger sister.

Wilson refused to admit to being a child molester. If he pled to or was convicted of any charge that put him on the sex offender registry, he couldn't live at home with his younger sister. He wouldn't accept that, so he waited for his trial."

I believe he wouldn't be put on the sex offender registry LIST if he gets out. I believe he still would be a "Sex Offender" technically......even though everyone knows he really isn't.

SPchief
01-25-2007, 01:39 AM

I'll have to go reread the article. You may be right though.

ChiefFan31
01-25-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm glad ESPN is publicizing this story. Someone needs to intervene on this guy's behalf cause he is getting royally screwed.

+1

Hopefully the power of the media can so some good for a change.

I feel bad for that kid, he got screwed. Never been to Georgia, but its plenty bass ackwards I'm sure.

BWillie
01-25-2007, 02:16 AM
+1

Hopefully the power of the media can so some good for a change.

I feel bad for that kid, he got screwed. Never been to Georgia, but its plenty bass ackwards I'm sure.

In Iowa, as long as you are below 40, you can have a gangbang with as many high school sophomores that are 16 as you like. Why is there a double standard? I know the states have the right to govern their laws, but this is pretty much bullshit. Ten years. Ten freaking years. The two kids just got drunk on new years, and had some fun like most people do on new years.

If I lost the years between my 18th and 28th birthday that would be about 90% of your life that is actually worth living down the crapper all from getting a blowjob from a chick who was 2 years younger. Man, I am 23, and I did a 20 year old chick the other day. Damn, that was 3 years apart, I should go straight to the pen for ten years. Lock me away and throw away the key

KChiefer
01-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks for sharing. That's total bullcrap!

You can stick it the poon, but not the mouth? Well...what about the ass?

This is outrageous compared with the sentence that teacher got.

Hopefully the ball keeps rolling.

KChiefer
01-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Man, I am 23, and I did a 20 year old chick the other day. Damn, that was 3 years apart, I should go straight to the pen for ten years. Lock me away and throw away the key

Exactly. Just like the idiots that wrote this law can go screw ppl half their age and that's all fine and good. If he was 1 year younger or she 2 years older, the state would have no case.

el borracho
01-25-2007, 02:52 AM
When we are young, a small disparity in age can be huge in terms of development (both physical and mental). As we mature the disparity between ages is diminished. A majority of the time, 20 is closer to 23 than 15 is to 17 as far as maturity.

Maybe I am a prude, but knowing the circumstances of the event has definitely altered my view of Genarlow. When I first heard of the story, I (mistakenly) assumed he received the BJ from a girlfriend. The article in the original post indicates that was not the case. These kids held and videotaped an orgy with 15 year olds. IMO, that is deviant behavior. Again, I don't think this guy deserves 10 years in jail but he earned some jail time and the sex offender label.

SPchief
01-25-2007, 03:01 AM
When we are young, a small disparity in age can be huge in terms of development (both physical and mental). As we mature the disparity between ages is diminished. A majority of the time, 20 is closer to 23 than 15 is to 17 as far as maturity.

Maybe I am a prude, but knowing the circumstances of the event has definitely altered my view of Genarlow. When I first heard of the story, I (mistakenly) assumed he received the BJ from a girlfriend. The article in the original post indicates that was not the case. These kids held and videotaped an orgy with 15 year olds. IMO, that is deviant behavior. Again, I don't think this guy deserves 10 years in jail but he earned some jail time and the sex offender label.

When you were 17, would you think twice about getting a BJ from a 15 year old?

el borracho
01-25-2007, 03:05 AM
"I'm not on trial here, Mr. SPchief, Genarlow is the one who did these acts, not me."

el borracho
01-25-2007, 03:12 AM
The fact that it was an orgy sways my opinion quite a bit. If it was a BJ from his girlfriend I would view it as much more benign.

To answer your question, in all honesty, I can say I probably would not have hosted, participated in and videotaped an orgy, especially with a 15 year old. I can tell you when I was 16 there was a 14 year old who had the hots for me and I completely blew her off because of her age.

As I said, maybe I am a prude? :shrug:

What punishment would you suggest for a 17 year old who hosts, participates in and videotapes and orgy with a 15 year old?

SPchief
01-25-2007, 03:19 AM
The fact that it was an orgy sways my opinion quite a bit. If it was a BJ from his girlfriend I would view it as much more benign.

To answer your question, in all honesty, I can say I probably would not have hosted, participated in and videotaped an orgy, especially with a 15 year old. I can tell you when I was 16 there was a 14 year old who had the hots for me and I completely blew her off because of her age.

What punishment would you suggest for a 17 year old who hosts, participates in and videotapes and orgy with a 15 year old?

I'm guessing they didn't card everybody coming into the orgy.

Girls these days look older than they really are.

Phobia
01-25-2007, 03:21 AM

Well, I'd have done 10 years if I'd have been busted under similar laws. I know my old man would have done serious time even though he and my mother are still married to this day (she was well under-age).

I have teenage daughters and I'm just as terrified as the next guy, but the reality is that humans have been sexually active and even marrying in our early teens for all of history. I don't know why it suddenly became such a horrible crime in the United States in the past few decades, but it has.

I don't have all the answers. I can't explain the whole orgy thing. But I do strongly believe that a young man is having his life ruined for no good reason.

el borracho
01-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Again, it is the orgy scenario that changes my opinion. Unless you (Phobia) or your father hosted, participated in and videotaped orgies at that age then it isn't really a comparable situation, IMO.

Orgies with 15 year olds to me is neither normal nor acceptable behavior for 17 year olds and does not fall under the umbrella of accepting the fact that humans are sexual beings. I'm not stupid- I know teens are going to screw. I just think there should be some lines drawn defining what is and is not acceptable.

Any response to this question: "What punishment would you suggest for a 17 year old who hosts, participates in and videotapes and orgy with a 15 year old?"

vincent
01-25-2007, 03:35 AM
I have teenage daughters and I'm just as terrified as the next guy, but the reality is that humans have been sexually active and even marrying in our early teens for all of history. I don't know why it suddenly became such a horrible crime in the United States in the past few decades, but it has.

I think it has alot to do with the extreme cases of child molestation, in which pre-pubescent adolesents were the victims, that have forced there to be a specific set of guidelines as to what is classified as illegal. The guildlines for statutory offenses seem a little harsh but there has to have been a case to warrent such strict guidelines...needless to say many laws and their guildlines are too general and leave no room for mercy or exceptions.

IMO bad deal all around...

SPchief
01-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Again, it is the orgy scenario that changes my opinion. Unless you (Phobia) or your father hosted, participated in and videotaped orgies at that age then it isn't really a comparable situation, IMO.

Orgies with 15 year olds to me is neither normal nor acceptable behavior for 17 year olds and does not fall under the umbrella of accepting the fact that humans are sexual beings. I'm not stupid- I know teens are going to screw. I just think there should be some lines drawn defining what is and is not acceptable.

Any response to this question: "What punishment would you suggest for a 17 year old who hosts, participates in and videotapes and orgy with a 15 year old?"

Times are changing. Most 14-15 year old girls are either having sex, or giving BJ's

el borracho
01-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Are most 14-15 year olds in orgies?

Maybe I am just reeeeeeally out of touch. :deevee:

vincent
01-25-2007, 03:44 AM
Times are changing. Most 14-15 year old girls are either having sex, or giving BJ's

To quote an old addage:

"Sad, but true"

-Metallica

el borracho
01-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Why won't anyone answer this question, "What punishment would you suggest for a 17 year old who hosts, participates in and videotapes and orgy with a 15 year old?"

vincent
01-25-2007, 03:48 AM

Oh my, MOST I missed that part the first time around...It's been less than ten yrs since I was that age...wasn't MOST back then... more like A FEW to SOME.

WOW :eek:

vincent
01-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Why won't anyone answer this question, "What punishment would you suggest for a 17 year old who hosts, participates in and videotapes and orgy with a 15 year old?"

WOW tough one...I think he deserves some jail time, maybe some probation, definately fines and community service...that is... if it's not rape, but someone under the age of consent, right?

el borracho
01-25-2007, 03:56 AM
WOW tough one...I think he deserves some jail time, maybe some probation, definately fines and community service...that is... if it's not rape, but someone under the age of consent, right?
Do you think he should be labeled a "sex offender"?

vincent
01-25-2007, 04:01 AM

I still don't know about the whole Sex Offender list...I am for it in the aspect that, I want to know if one moves in next door. But the Constitutional implications of it are "iffy" to me...

I believe in the ability for a person to change, and I also believe that people who are subject to having to serve time, and have to be "punished" after their sentances are up.

vincent
01-25-2007, 04:02 AM

As the law stands right now, though, I would have to say "Yes".

KChiefer
01-25-2007, 04:03 AM

IMO No. Just because it's such a blanket label. PPL will see that and assume he was raping kids. He was only 2 years older. Granted the orgy part is messed up, but he was basically a kid too.

I don't think he should have just gone free, but it's fair to say he's paid his debt and doesn't need to be deemed a pedophile the rest of his life.

KChiefer
01-25-2007, 04:04 AM
I just see no reason why a community that he moves to will need to know this happened. He's not a predator.

vincent
01-25-2007, 04:04 AM
No. Just because it's such a blanket label. PPL will see that and assume he was raping kids. He was only 2 years older. Granted the orgy part is messed up, but he was basically a kid too.

I don't think he should have just gone free, but it's fair to say he's paid his debt and doesn't need to be deemed a pedophile the rest of his life.

Very good point...you've just made my position of "on the fence" more comfortable...

KChiefer
01-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Also, I didn't read the whole article...Did they say what the other boy got? Was he a "minor" and therefore free to go?

This is so dumb that the court was unable show any discretion at all.

vincent
01-25-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a few problems with certain parts of the article:

In Douglas County, according to law professors following about the case, admitting sins and begging forgiveness -- not insisting on your innocence -- is the road to mercy.

Does that seem to violate the 5th ammendment to anyone else?

And If Mark Cuban is so outraged, why is the kid's lawyer doing this Pro Bono? C'mon Cuban fork over a couple bucks to help this kid get out...

vincent
01-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Also, I didn't read the whole article...Did they say what the other boy got? Was he a "minor" and therefore free to go?

This is so dumb that the court was unable show any discretion at all.

all the others went to prison as well.... the only other definate sentence stated in the article was about another football player, who got 5 yrs in prison with the possiblity of parole.

Smed1065
01-25-2007, 04:45 AM
But he is out after 2 years IIRC...Because he followed the system of the system and took the ride they gave him.

chagrin
01-25-2007, 06:26 AM
This is aweful, is there a petition online or something? I hope this kid gets released and soon!

Braincase
01-25-2007, 06:52 AM
About time for a governor to step in and rectify the situation with a pen.

Bob Dole
01-25-2007, 07:25 AM
About time for a governor to step in and rectify the situation with a pen.

That's what Bob Dole was thinking as he read the story. A governor can commute a death sentence but he can't make this bullshit right?

jidar
01-25-2007, 07:34 AM

yeah well, you're also ****ing stupid.

seriously, since when did being a senior trying to nail sophmores become some kind of weird deviant behavior.

the majority of kids have been trying to do that since time ****ing began. We've gotten so ****ing hysterical about protecting children nobody has any god damned sense anymore.

Chief Chief
01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson
But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex.

This sums it up best for me: It's legal in Georgia for an 18-year old to have sex of any kind with a 14-year old.

HonestChieffan
01-25-2007, 07:47 AM
He had sex with a 15 year old, supplied booze, and drugs....if he was not an athelete, no one would give a damn.

Come to think of it, I dont anyway.

BigRedChief
01-25-2007, 07:52 AM
This kid was a good student/athlete. He had oral sex when he was 17 with a 15 yo girl. And now he's in prison for 10 years. "but because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex."
Well the little twist is that its no longer a felony. The law has been amended to a misdemeanor. But not retroactively.

Old Dog
01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
No sir. If he had gotten screwed it would have been OK. He's in jail because he only got a hummer.

Seriously, that's messed up.

Swanman
01-25-2007, 08:12 AM

From the legal system, no punishment should be given for the sexual act. Looking at the ages 17 and 15, that is on average a high school sophomore performing the BJ on a high school senior. That happens a lot more than people (especially the idiot far right wing bible-thumping conservatives) want to believe and IMO, it's just not a huge deal. Kids that age are going to sexually active more often than not and no amount of archaic ridiculous laws are going to change that.

The kid should be punished by the legal system for the drugs and booze present at the party, I wouldn't have a problem with that, and the kid's mother should give him the whipping of his life for exercising such horrible judgment, but that should be it. He screwed up, but he shouldn't be locked up in the system for the 10 most important years of his life (and being labeled a sex offender alongside rapists and pedophiles is an absolute joke). Our legal system has taken a kid that could have gone on to get a college education and maybe make something of himself and completely ruined his life.

Old Dog
01-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Her own mother has said that she (the daughter, not the mother....that's another story) is the one that initiated it. So, to answer your question.....none.

Brock
01-25-2007, 08:36 AM

How about a punishment that fits the crime? 10 years? Pssh.

vailpass
01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
The kid who brought the video camera should be shot. Anyone who gets busy while they know they are being videotaped is stupid.
Was the bj-giving 15 year old slut white?

Brock
01-25-2007, 08:48 AM
The kid who brought the video camera should be shot. Anyone who gets busy while they know they are being videotaped is stupid.

I seem to remember that she was. Real Sports did a deal on this last year.

vailpass
01-25-2007, 09:04 AM
I seem to remember that she was. Real Sports did a deal on this last year.

Intersting.
Regardless of what they might say there are an awful lot of white folks who look at sex between the little white girl and the big black buck as a social and criminal offense. Not all of them live in the South.
Wonder if this case might have been different if the girl had been black??

jidar
01-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Now we're shooting kids for poor judgement. Brilliant.

Maybe you should be shot.

Hydrae
01-25-2007, 09:24 AM
One of the things that gets me is that everyone seems powerless to change what has happened even though 99.9% of people want it to get cleared up. That is messed up.

And to el borracho, no I don't there should have been any time involved at all. She initiated the act that he was convicted for and obviously was there voluntarily. The fact that there was an orgy has nothing to do with anything and if I read the article right, she was the only one who was 15. Heck, I have a friend who had her first child at 15 and then got married to the father. They are still married to this day and the child is in his mid 20's now.

Kids, remember....NEVER ALLOW PICTURES OR ANY OTHER FORM OF RECORD WHEN YOU DO STUPID SH*T!

Bowser
01-25-2007, 09:24 AM
That's what Bob Dole was thinking as he read the story. A governor can commute a death sentence but he can't make this bullshit right?

Maybe the gal who blew this kid can go blow the governor to ensure his release (no pun there).

Kind of a full circle zen thing.

Silock
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM

He didn't earn jailtime in the sense that he, in actuality, did nothing wrong on a moral or ethical level. I imagine he didn't take the plea bargain because he doesn't consider himself guilty. Smart kid.

Silock
01-25-2007, 09:35 AM

My brother in law and his g/f had sex in the same room with his best friend and his best friend's g/f when he was about that age. That's technically an orgy, and while they didn't videotape it, I'm sure he could probably be prosecuted under some law, but he's white, so they don't really care. The fact is, "orgies" happen all the time with younger kids, and while you or I may not like it, it goes on.

There's an even larger question of how ethical it is for us to legislate what someone else finds pleasurable. Even though they're minors, they were still consenting people well within what people consider a "normal" age range difference.

Shit, if I'd been prosecuted for every BJ I got from a freshman or sophomore girl when I was a junior/senior in HS, I'd be in jail for a lot longer than 10 years.

Silock
01-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Are most 14-15 year olds in orgies?

Maybe I am just reeeeeeally out of touch. :deevee:

Not "most", but it's definitely not uncommon these days.

Silock
01-25-2007, 09:38 AM

It happens.

vailpass
01-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Now we're shooting kids for poor judgement. Brilliant.

Maybe you should be shot.

I didn't mean that literally, forgive my poor choice of words. My feeling was that if I got sent to the big house for 10 years because some goofy **** felt the need to video tape me getting head I would have some negative feelings towards the dude.

KC Kings
01-25-2007, 10:00 AM
According to law, yes. It is unfortunate that he is in prison for 10 years, but if I was the DA I wouldn't back down either.

You have a 17 year old punk kid that admits to acting like a cocky star athlete, (even though his coaches said he was good, not great), that plans a party with hard liquor and weed, provides the drugs to a a bunch of young girls then lets a 15 year give him a BJ. He may not be a sexual predator or a pedaphile that deserves 10 years, but he is far from innocent and refuses to take any blame for his actions. The DA even offered him a plea bargan AFTER he was convicted, and he refused it. No matter how ignorant the laws are, what he did broke the law yet he continues to say that he is innocent when there is video evidence proving otherwise.

vailpass
01-25-2007, 10:07 AM
It happens.

So does prison time.

vailpass
01-25-2007, 10:11 AM
My brother in law and his g/f had sex in the same room with his best friend and his best friend's g/f when he was about that age. That's technically an orgy, and while they didn't videotape it, I'm sure he could probably be prosecuted under some law, but he's white, so they don't really care. The fact is, "orgies" happen all the time with younger kids, and while you or I may not like it, it goes on.

There's an even larger question of how ethical it is for us to legislate what someone else finds pleasurable. Even though they're minors, they were still consenting people

Society demands higher standards for our children.If you choose to live below those standards that is your choice but we will prosecute those who do so in order to protect our own.

Bowser
01-25-2007, 10:16 AM
According to law, yes. It is unfortunate that he is in prison for 10 years, but if I was the DA I wouldn't back down either.

You have a 17 year old punk kid that admits to acting like a cocky star athlete, (even though his coaches said he was good, not great), that plans a party with hard liquor and weed, provides the drugs to a a bunch of young girls then lets a 15 year give him a BJ. He may not be a sexual predator or a pedaphile that deserves 10 years, but he is far from innocent and refuses to take any blame for his actions. The DA even offered him a plea bargan AFTER he was convicted, and he refused it. No matter how ignorant the laws are, what he did broke the law yet he continues to say that he is innocent when there is video evidence proving otherwise.

So this isn't about him getting blown by a 15 year old, it's about him being a "cocky star athlete".

What makes it even a bigger crock of shit, is that some 19 year old kid out of school can come in and get blown by a 17 year old junior, and be about his merry way. Bottom line, Georgia needs to update their laws and let this kid give up his seat to a real criminal.

HemiEd
01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
too much to read.

We need cliff notes, where is Simplex3?

Swanman
01-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Society demands higher standards for our children.If you choose to live below those standards that is your choice but we will prosecute those who do so in order to protect our own.

Society demands laws that are not completely and utterly retarded. There are armed robbers, violent rapists and pedophiles probably getting less than 10 years for crimes that are 1,000 times worse. It just doesn't add up. Sure, the kid did something very stupid, but nowhere near 10 years of hard time stupid.

Silock
01-25-2007, 10:52 AM
So does prison time.

So does a lot of things... not really sure where you're going with that.

Silock
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM

Protect your own from . . . consenting sexual behavior? Is that REALLY what you're suggesting?

Perhaps the practices of two married people should be regulated, you know, to protect your own.

Lono
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM

Your a tool. If you think this kid deserves even one damn day of jail time then you better open up about 100 more prisons cause I guarantee this crap happens every day.

vailpass
01-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Society demands laws that are not completely and utterly retarded. There are armed robbers, violent rapists and pedophiles probably getting less than 10 years for crimes that are 1,000 times worse. It just doesn't add up. Sure, the kid did something very stupid, but nowhere near 10 years of hard time stupid.

Yeah, I agree completely. You may have missed my point, sorry I wasn't more clear.

Mr. Laz
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
, but he earned some jail time and the sex offender label, IMO.
the girl went to his school and was only 2 years younger than him.

he was a senior ... she was a sophomore

How in the hell does that deserve a "sex offense" label?

dam ... juniors and seniors at my high school used to hit on sophomores all the time. :(

vailpass
01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Protect your own from . . . consenting sexual behavior? Is that REALLY what you're suggesting?

Perhaps the practices of two married people should be regulated, you know, to protect your own.

If a 14 year old girl consents to have sex with an 18 year old man that is socially unacceptable and yes I absolutely am suggesting it continue to be regulated.
Are you suggesting differently?

Silock
01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
If a 14 year old girl consents to have sex with an 18 year old man that is socially unacceptable and yes I absolutely am suggesting it continue to be regulated.
Are you suggesting differently?

It already is regulated, and yes, I find that acceptable, however, it's not exactly within the scope of the discussion, which was a consenting 17 and consenting 15 year old.

jrowe
01-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Age of consent has been around forever. Based on age and maturity, children lack the ability to knowingly consent to many things. For example, contracts aren't legally enforceable if signed by a minor. Why? Under the law, they lack the ability to truly understand the nature of their actions and the obligations that follow. Age of consent laws dealing with sex do the same thing. Save kids from themselves that don't know better. So, the whole "she initiated it/volunteered it" line doesn't work. Where would you then draw the next line. If not at 15 or 16 then what. How old should children be before they can legally consent to sex? You have to draw the line somewhere, and it seems to be reasonable where they drew the line.

Also, look at the facts of the case. Weed, booze, orgy, camera 15 y/o. Clearly guilty under the law. Offfered a plea after conviction. Would already be out now.

Yes, his punishment is onerous and excessive, but he is not the victim he is portrayed as. He is an individual that made poor choices in the first place and continues to do so.

Silock
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Age of consent has been around forever. Based on age and maturity, children lack the ability to knowingly consent to many things. For example, contracts aren't legally enforceable if signed by a minor. Why? Under the law, they lack the ability to truly understand the nature of their actions and the obligations that follow. Age of consent laws dealing with sex do the same thing. Save kids from themselves that don't know better. So, the whole "she initiated it/volunteered it" line doesn't work. Where would you then draw the next line. If not at 15 or 16 then what. How old should children be before they can legally consent to sex? You have to draw the line somewhere, and it seems to be reasonable where they drew the line.

Also, look at the facts of the case. Weed, booze, orgy, camera 15 y/o. Clearly guilty under the law. Offfered a plea after conviction. Would already be out now.

Yes, his punishment is onerous and excessive, but he is not the victim he is portrayed as. He is an individual that made poor choices in the first place and continues to do so.

They're both minors. You must not have gotten any action in high school, because every single minute of every single day, some high school kids, somewhere, are ****ing each other. It's naive to think that passing laws is going to regulate it among minors.

jrowe
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
They're both minors. You must not have gotten any action in high school, because every single minute of every single day, some high school kids, somewhere, are ****ing each other. It's naive to think that passing laws is going to regulate it among minors.

So an 8 and 10 year old can vidotape themselves engaging in sex acts? If they do it voluntarily, they might as well sell it too and make some money. Just because both are minors and consent does not make it right or legal. Under your logic child porn could easily be legalized too.

Lono
01-25-2007, 11:29 AM
So an 8 and 10 year old can vidotape themselves engaging in sex acts? If they do it voluntarily, they might as well sell it too and make some money. Just because both are minors and consent does not make it right or legal. Under your logic child porn could easily be legalized too.

Dont be another retard. You have to display some common sense. A 15 yr old has the common sense to know if they want to get layed or not. Why not put the girl in jail too. He is in prison for screwing a girl under age. Isnt he under age too? Why isnt she in jail? She initiated it.

Btw no where in the article it states the boys supplied the booze and drugs. It actually says some girls came over and bourbon and marijuana were consumed.

Silock
01-25-2007, 11:30 AM
That's not at all what I'm advocating, and you know it.

We're talking about high schoolers here. No, they're not adults, and sometimes, they don't think things through, but they're not naive like 8-10 year olds are. There isn't something magical about turning 18 that automatically makes you self-aware and more responsible. Just because high schoolers don't care about the consequences of their actions doesn't mean they aren't fully aware of them. They choose to ignore them.

It's one thing to blindly follow the letter of the law, but like you said... it doesn't make it right, or realistic. Millions of high schoolers blow each other every day and they still grow up to be well-adjusted adults. Placing some arbitrary age value upon when someone "knows" what consent is doesn't make any sense at all. If this were a case of an 8 and 10 year old, you'd be right, because biologically, they just aren't capable of understanding or really consenting. But we're talking about 15 and 17 year olds. Not at ALL the same thing.

Mr. Laz
01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
if sexual contact between 17 and 15 year old teens is against the law then they need to separate their schooling.

imo a kid shouldn't be expected to ask for ID from the person sitting next to them in class before they makeout.

NewChief
01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
if sexual contact between 17 and 15 year old teens is against the law then they need to separate their schooling.

imo a kid shouldn't be expected to ask for ID from the person sitting next to them in class before they makeout.

No kidding. Our school district is talking about going to a 9-12 high school. I really, really hope we don't, because 14 year old girls do not need to be hanging around with 17-18 year old guys on a daily basis, imo.

Hydrae
01-25-2007, 12:50 PM
I just realized something, according to our last president, these two didn't even have sex. How can he be a sexual predator when he only got a hummer which, per the top man in the country at the time, is not sex! :)

HonestChieffan
01-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Untill the last few years we never knew "middle school"...thats a new age education deal...all we had was 1-6...grade school, 7-8 Jr High and 9-12 High school.

Things go to shit when education PhD's start to think.

Humbly submitted.

BIG_DADDY
01-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Out legal system has been getting more out of control by the year. Here is a great one.

16 year old to receive 90 years for looking at child porn?

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/LegalCenter/story?id=2785054

Swanman
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
He is in prison for screwing a girl under age. Isnt he under age too? Why isnt she in jail? She initiated it.

That's where the story got real crazy for me. If he had actually screwed her, he wouldn't be in jail because that's considered just a misdemeanor. However, since it was oral sex, it's considered a felony in Georgia. The prosecutor should be thrown in prison for enforcing that retarded law to the letter and not exercising one iota of common sense.

I believe we have a law, or at least used to, here in Illinois that stated oral sex was illegal, even among consenting adults. But it's never become an issue because people realize the law is too stupid to be enforced, so it's just a silly trivia question, not a means to lock up somebody for 10 years.

Silock
01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
No kidding. Our school district is talking about going to a 9-12 high school. I really, really hope we don't, because 14 year old girls do not need to be hanging around with 17-18 year old guys on a daily basis, imo.

LOL

That statement struck me as funny, because I went to a school around here that was K-12, and some of the seniors were definitely nailing the freshmen girls.

CoMoChief
01-25-2007, 03:17 PM
When he was a senior in high school, he received oral sex from a 10th grader. He was 17. She was 15. "Everyone, including the girl and the prosecution, agreed she initiated the act. But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex."

Huh? Am I reading this right?

CoMoChief
01-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Thats discriminating towards males.

My graduating class at Blue Springs was the last class to go to the school 4 straight years. After our freshman year they built a freshman center because our school was too crowded, which is totally understandable but to simply split it up because of gender and being afraid that little miss panty dropper cant keep her pants on is retarded. Educate your kids about sex, nuff said.

teedubya
01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Shit like this makes other countries think that America is the debbil.

teedubya
01-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Shit when I was a senior... 17, I banged 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and 2 juniors. Small town girls love to give up the pussy. It's a fact of life.

I guess I should have been locked up for 50 years.

Mr. Laz
01-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Shit when I was a senior... 17, I banged 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and 2 juniors. Small town girls love to give up the pussy. It's a fact of life.

you are a sexual predator

kepp
01-25-2007, 04:49 PM

That was pretty much the norm in the small town I grew up in - ~3,500 people. The popular freshmen girls would be deflowered by the 2nd quarter and the senior girls hated them for taking all the senior guys. Now that I have a daughter though, this scares me. I already have my shotgun.

teedubya
01-25-2007, 04:58 PM

"That's what I like about these high school girls: I keep getting older; they stay the same age".

-Wooderson

Rausch
01-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Yeah.

About as predatory as a goldfish... ROFL

Rausch
01-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Take 2: Does that make him Ped-atory?...

CoMoChief
01-25-2007, 05:13 PM
there were so many whores at my HS

supercoupe91
01-25-2007, 06:17 PM
anyone like to bend girls over and tap it?

Nzoner
01-25-2007, 08:17 PM
(and being labeled a sex offender alongside rapists and pedophiles is an absolute joke).

Absolutely agree,I've got a relative who's boyfriend(30 at the time)got hit on at a party and went for it.Turns out the girl is 16 looking and acting 25 and he gets 3 years in the can plus is now tagged with sex offender label.

As for the girl,nothing,nada,I think at least she if not her parents should've been held accountable to some extent.

Ultra Peanut
01-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I hope Eddie Barker gets run over by a bus tomorrow. What an arrogant, self-righteous, downright anti-American prick.

|Zach|
01-25-2007, 09:20 PM
there were so many whores at my HS
:)

BWillie
01-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I screwed the Police Chief's daughter of my hometown when she was 17, and I was 20. Lock me up bitches, it was worth it. She was the hottest chick I've ever railed too, good stuff.

BWillie
01-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Absolutely agree,I've got a relative who's boyfriend(30 at the time)got hit on at a party and went for it.Turns out the girl is 16 looking and acting 25 and he gets 3 years in the can plus is now tagged with sex offender label.

As for the girl,nothing,nada,I think at least she if not her parents should've been held accountable to some extent.

Yeah, same thing happened to my buddy except he didn't go to prison. It was actually my fault too. My buddy worked at Applebee's at a server so we went and got hammered in his section, started talkin to these chicks. They told us they were college freshman, then we started tellin' them how we played football with our friend who was the waiter and how big his wang was, tryin to get them to talk to him you know. Well, turns out, she left her # for my friend. He called, they went out a few times, he comes over to her house watches a movie, SHE EVEN SAID SHE WAS 18 to him. Even told him, he didn't think anything of it at all. So they did it. Later I find out through friends the girl was 15 and my friend was 22. What is a guy to do, chicks have huge knockers at 14 and 15. Remember in 8th grade when you were short and little and all the chicks had big tits and were taller than you already? Girls mature at a earlier age than guys, and it's really hard to guess their age when they are 15-25. What is a guy supposed to do?

DenverChief
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
A travesty...someone has got to help this kid...WTF is the guvnah

Miles
01-25-2007, 10:36 PM
A travesty...someone has got to help this kid...WTF is the guvnah

"They talk last-ditch plans, including a constitutional amendment returning pardon power to the governor. When they're done, Balser walks Bernstein to the elevator."

Guess Barker has never heard of the concept of prosecutorial discretion either.

KCChiefsMan
01-25-2007, 10:36 PM
I hate when rednecks go on about how their proud to be an American...this is just another example of why I am ashamed to be an American......

ARROW2
01-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Besides being in Georgia, the girl was white. That has a lot to do with it also and I don't care of anyone wants to admit it or not. This is bullshit but who was the dumb ass who filmed it?

Lzen
01-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Quote:Originally Posted by BWillie007
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etic...ory?page=wilson
But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex.

This sums it up best for me: It's legal in Georgia for an 18-year old to have sex of any kind with a 14-year old.

Less than three years apart equals 4 years apart?

Edit: Plus, it's not really legal, either. It's a different level of crime (misdemeanor vs felony), but still a crime.

Lzen
01-26-2007, 08:58 AM
From the legal system, no punishment should be given for the sexual act. Looking at the ages 17 and 15, that is on average a high school sophomore performing the BJ on a high school senior. That happens a lot more than people (especially the idiot far right wing bible-thumping conservatives) want to believe and IMO, it's just not a huge deal. Kids that age are going to sexually active more often than not and no amount of archaic ridiculous laws are going to change that.

The kid should be punished by the legal system for the drugs and booze present at the party, I wouldn't have a problem with that, and the kid's mother should give him the whipping of his life for exercising such horrible judgment, but that should be it. He screwed up, but he shouldn't be locked up in the system for the 10 most important years of his life (and being labeled a sex offender alongside rapists and pedophiles is an absolute joke). Our legal system has taken a kid that could have gone on to get a college education and maybe make something of himself and completely ruined his life.

I agree with this........even though I read the Bible and go to church. ;)

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Intersting.
Regardless of what they might say there are an awful lot of white folks who look at sex between the little white girl and the big black buck as a social and criminal offense. Not all of them live in the South.
Wonder if this case might have been different if the girl had been black??

Sadly, there probably wouldn't be a case if the girl were black.
:shake:

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:01 AM
I still would like to know more about the rape charge. Did it get dropped completely? Why? Was it an obviously bogus claim? They didn't really say much about it.

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:05 AM

There's an even larger question of how ethical it is for us to legislate what someone else finds pleasurable. Even though they're minors, they were still consenting people well within what people consider a "normal" age range difference.

Shit, if I'd been prosecuted for every BJ I got from a freshman or sophomore girl when I was a junior/senior in HS, I'd be in jail for a lot longer than 10 years.

I know teens that are going to do that. I don't have a problem if they're 2-3 years apart. My niece was 16 and had a boyfriend that was 23. I told my sister she should have him prosecuted. Why? There is absolutely no reason for a 23 year old to be with a 16 year old. That, IMO, is child molestation. Of course, my sister didn't do anything. Now that idiot is in prison for some other crap he did. :shake: A real winner, I tell ya.

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
I didn't mean that literally, forgive my poor choice of words. My feeling was that if I got sent to the big house for 10 years because some goofy **** felt the need to video tape me getting head I would have some negative feelings towards the dude.

You're assuming that the ones being videotaped didn't want to be be taped. It is entirely possible (and probable, IMO) that he wanted to be taped. You know, to recapture the moment later on. ;)

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM

Then why not just charge him for giving alcohol and weed to minors, possession of those, etc? The punishment does not fit the crime.

Ultra Peanut
01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I still would like to know more about the rape charge. Did it get dropped completely? Why? Was it an obviously bogus claim? They didn't really say much about it.She admitted it was consensual.

Pants
01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Shit, a 17 year old ****ing a 15 year old is absolutely normal. 10 years for a blowjob? That's completely absurd and LITERALLY insane.

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I hate when rednecks go on about how their proud to be an American...this is just another example of why I am ashamed to be an American......

Then move to another country, dumbass.

Pants
01-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Or learn the difference between "their" and "they're" and "there" before you talk shit for ****s sake.

Lzen
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
She admitted it was consensual.

Ah, ok. I figured it must have been something like that.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
like a lot things in this country, it's been taken too far.

statutory rape is a great law ... adults have sex with kids is a bad thing. They should be locked up and beaten with a bamboo stick.

BUT..........

teens having sex with teens is a completely different situation. And it needs to be handled completely different.

The kids should be Grounded ......... not arrested.

Silock
01-26-2007, 11:57 AM
like a lot things in this country, it's been taken too far.

statutory rape is a great law ... adults have sex with kids is a bad thing. They should be locked up and beaten with a bamboo stick.

BUT..........

teens having sex with teens is a completely different situation. And it needs to be handled completely different.

The kids should be Grounded ......... not arrested.

Grounded? Shit, he nailed a 15 year old and got her to videotape it. He should be given a medal.

BIG_DADDY
01-26-2007, 12:10 PM

People like you are a great example of why rednecks like them should be able to tie you to the rear bumper of their pickup truck then feed you to their pigs.

vailpass
01-26-2007, 12:11 PM
People like you are a great example of why rednecks like them should be able to tie you to the rear bumper of their pickup truck then feed you to their pigs.

LMAO

crazycoffey
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
If this kid gets out soon, i could see this becoming a movie.

I want to audition for the part of the kid. (provided the 15 year old is portrayed by an 18 year old, we don't want another dakota fanning thread)

El Jefe
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM
The crime will be if he has to serve 10 years behind bars. This story makes you feel down for the young fella.

HonestChieffan
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Drugs Booze and a 15 yr old....and he rented a hotel....

He is a dreg, was gonna be a dreg, and now hes in jail.

Maybe when he gets out he wont be a dreg.

Mosbonian
01-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Your a tool. If you think this kid deserves even one damn day of jail time then you better open up about 100 more prisons cause I guarantee this crap happens every day.

Interesting...in one response you call someone a "tool"....in another post you call someone a "retard". You seem to have problems having debates and discussions without being inflammatory.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
The crime will be if he has to serve 10 years behind bars. This story makes you feel down for the young fella.

Sorry if I don't feel "bad" for the young fella.....while I agree the punishment doesn't fit the crime, there are way too many responses acting like his behavior is acceptable and just a by-product of juvenile delinquency.

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Interesting...in one response you call someone a "tool"....in another post you call someone a "retard". You seem to have problems having debates and discussions without being inflammatory.

mmaddog

I liked your other avatar better.

Mosbonian
01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Grounded? Shit, he nailed a 15 year old and got her to videotape it. He should be given a medal.

I hope this is just a sarcastic off-the-cuff response and not one you truly believe....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
I liked your other avatar better.

I'm actually going to bring it back...just felt like a change for a couple of weeks.

Besides, I don't want 4th and Long to think I don't appreciate his work.

mmaddog

DonJaun
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Nothing! If she is gonna give it up then so be it. I would be shocked and mad as hell if it were one of my girls but its country hick ass backward to throw a young boy in jail for having sex with a girl that is two years younger than him. If youre young sweet lil daddy's girl is a slut just deal with it. Most girls are and always have been. Obviously she learned it from somewhere and when they are that young the learning starts in the home.

crazycoffey
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Sorry if I don't feel "bad" for the young fella.....while I agree the punishment doesn't fit the crime, there are way too many responses acting like his behavior is acceptable and just a by-product of juvenile delinquency.

mmaddog

the punishment doesn't fit the crime????

the CRIME????

I think we have a different definition of this.

crazycoffey
01-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I hope this is just a sarcastic off-the-cuff response and not one you truly believe....

mmaddog

I would say slightly sarcstic, but only because the story is so overboard in lunacy.

teedubya
01-26-2007, 06:12 PM
So a girl unzips your pants... and starts sucking your dick. You gonna tell her to stop?

I mean shit. This girl should have gone to jail for being such a slutty whore. I mean, I love her and all, but come on.

Plus, he was around all his friends, he would look like a pussy if he didnt let that chick suck him, when he initiated it.

stevieray
01-26-2007, 06:35 PM
So a girl unzips your pants... and starts sucking your dick. You gonna tell her to stop?

I mean shit. This girl should have gone to jail for being such a slutty whore. I mean, I love her and all, but come on.

Plus, he was around all his friends, he would look like a pussy if he didnt let that chick suck him, when he initiated it.

Im no angel..but it's post like these that make me wish Lamar's name wasn't the name of the forum.

Mosbonian
01-26-2007, 06:43 PM
the punishment doesn't fit the crime????

the CRIME????

I think we have a different definition of this.

"Punishment fit the crime" was just a saying....you can have your own opinion of whether a crime was committed or not.

BTW, there was a crime committed there.....I'll let you figure out what it was. (Hint:It isn't that this kid is in prison)

mmaddog

Pants
01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
"Punishment fit the crime" was just a saying....you can have your own opinion of whether a crime was committed or not.

BTW, there was a crime committed there.....I'll let you figure out what it was. (Hint:It isn't that this kid is in prison)

mmaddog

Nowhere in the article does it say he was the one who got the drugs and alcohol. If you're referring to the consumption of those things, if every highschooler who had ever smoked weed or drank alchol was sent to prison, half the teenagers in this country would be rotting away in jails. I can't believe people are actually accepting this insanity. It boggles my mind.

stevieray
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Nowhere in the article does it say he was the one who got the drugs and alcohol. If you're referring to the consumption of those things, if every highschooler who had ever smoked weed or drank alchol was sent to prison, half the teenagers in this country would be rotting away in jails. I can't believe people are actually accepting this insanity. It boggles my mind.

of cousre it does, you're only five years older than the guy in jail...

hey, when you expose kids to adult issues and activties, and they engage in said activities like adults..don't be shocked when they are treated like adults.

Mosbonian
01-26-2007, 06:55 PM

If everyone who goes over the speed limit is given a ticket then every city/county/state would be operating in the black....yada, yada, yada...

Sorry, but your response is nothing but an attempt to justify something that is illegal. And it doesn't matter whether you think it's foolish or not, it's still against the law.....you act like he should be patted on the back and given a statue.

mmaddog

|Zach|
01-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Wow, me and all my friends should be in jail.

teedubya
01-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Im no angel..but it's post like these that make me wish Lamar's name wasn't the name of the forum.

Yeah, its posts like that, that make baby Tom Cruise cry.

:rolleyes:

stevieray
01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, its posts like that, that make baby Tom Cruise cry.

:rolleyes:

don't take it personal.. it's not meant that way.

you friggin crybaby...;)

stevieray
01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow, me and all my friends should be in jail.

at least your friends...

teedubya
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
don't take it personal.. it's not meant that way.

you friggin crybaby...;)

I didn't take it personally, I just wanted to say 'Make Baby Tom Cruise Cry... '

stevieray
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I didn't take it personally, I just wanted to say 'Make Baby Tom Cruise Cry... '

help me, help you help me...

Mr. Laz
01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
there was less than 24 months difference between the ages of the 2 involved. Heck ... if the months of their birthdays work our right they could be only 13 months difference.

and they went to the same High School

what crime? (other than a criminally insane law)

|Zach|
01-26-2007, 10:47 PM
there was less than 24 months difference between the ages of the 2 involved. Heck ... if the months of their birthdays work our right they could be only 13 months difference.

and they went to the same High School

what crime? (other than a criminally insane law)
I guess I just don't get this sexually active = juvenile delinquent connection.

KCChiefsMan
01-27-2007, 03:56 AM

oh really? you are really stupid, blind and naive. if that is your only argument....you don';t think I know it could be worse? this country is evil in a different way than others. You are probably some ignorant, uneducated **** that has 6 kids since you were 25 and are another good example of why I think abortion should be mandatory in this country. because too many dumb****s keep reproducing and having more and more worthless people around. Tell me to move to a different country, yes I am ashamed to be an American...and you are part of that reason dumbass....why should I be proud to live in a country surrounded by idiots like yourself

Mosbonian
01-27-2007, 06:55 AM
I guess I just don't get this sexually active = juvenile delinquent connection.

Then you aren't understanding what i was trying to impart.....it had nothing to do with your equation.....sexually active=juvenile delinquency

Are you telling me that there was nothing illegal going on there?

mmaddog

Mosbonian
01-27-2007, 06:56 AM
oh really? you are really stupid, blind and naive. if that is your only argument....you don';t think I know it could be worse? this country is evil in a different way than others. You are probably some ignorant, uneducated **** that has 6 kids since you were 25 and are another good example of why I think abortion should be mandatory in this country. because too many dumb****s keep reproducing and having more and more worthless people around. Tell me to move to a different country, yes I am ashamed to be an American...and you are part of that reason dumbass....why should I be proud to live in a country surrounded by idiots like yourself

Gotta love a guy who doesn't think before posting....and whose short fuse to anger makes hypocrisy of his posting thoughts.

mmaddog

HonestChieffan
01-27-2007, 07:52 AM
This could degrade further but Im not sure how.

memyselfI
01-27-2007, 09:43 AM

It doesn't matter if he was the one who got the drugs and alcohol in regards to this conviction as he wasn't charged for that, was he? If they wanted to prosecute him on that then they should have done so. But for the purpose of this discussion, his providing the drugs and alcohol doesn't matter if they didn't make it part of his prosecution.

It's bull shit. To think if his johnson had just entered her vagina (God forbid sodomy) then he would have only done 2 years vs. 10. That is if he would have even been prosecuted in the first place.

It's an outrage that has gone past the prosecutors office. The GA Supreme Court is now an accomplice. And why the hell can't the Gov. pardon the kid.

I haven't heard, did the girls get any sort of punishment here? I mean it seems unfair for them to ruin these boys lives (all of them now deemed sex offenders) over consensual behavior.

RNR
01-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Gotta love a guy who doesn't think before posting....and whose short fuse to anger makes hypocrisy of his posting thoughts.

mmaddog
The boy aint right! it is good to see he has moved on from the (you are white trash) reply he used whenever he debated someone.

jrowe
01-27-2007, 10:34 AM
It doesn't matter if he was the one who got the drugs and alcohol in regards to this conviction as he wasn't charged for that, was he? If they wanted to prosecute him on that then they should have done so. But for the purpose of this discussion, his providing the drugs and alcohol doesn't matter if they didn't make it part of his prosecution.

It's bull shit. To think if his johnson had just entered her vagina (God forbid sodomy) then he would have only done 2 years vs. 10. That is if he would have even been prosecuted in the first place.

It's an outrage that has gone past the prosecutors office. The GA Supreme Court is now an accomplice. And why the hell can't the Gov. pardon the kid.

I haven't heard, did the girls get any sort of punishment here? I mean it seems unfair for them to ruin these boys lives (all of them now deemed sex offenders) over consensual behavior.

A basic understanding of the appeals process and the rights granted to the GA supreme court and governor provide and easy answer to why they haven't stepped in. They can't under the law. It gives the governor the right to pardon in limited circumstances and the court can only review certain aspects of the case to see if legal standards were violated in reaching a conviction. They don't have a magic wand to do whatever they want.

Also, the prosecutor is bound by his oath of office to prosecute all crimes that fit the criminal code without injecting his own personal standards. He was simply keeping his word to the people. Yes, there is limited prosecutorial discretion. This was exercised by offering a plea AFTER conviction - something that is unheard of. If the plea would have been accepted, with parole, it would only have been two years time, the same amount of time as regular intercourse.

This kid sits in jail due to a series of bad choices he has made and continues to make. Yes, his punishment is excessive, but he is not a victim.

memyselfI
01-27-2007, 10:57 AM
A basic understanding of the appeals process and the rights granted to the GA supreme court and governor provide and easy answer to why they haven't stepped in. They can't under the law. It gives the governor the right to pardon in limited circumstances and the court can only review certain aspects of the case to see if legal standards were violated in reaching a conviction. They don't have a magic wand to do whatever they want.

Also, the prosecutor is bound by his oath of office to prosecute all crimes that fit the criminal code without injecting his own personal standards. He was simply keeping his word to the people. Yes, there is limited prosecutorial discretion. This was exercised by offering a plea AFTER conviction - something that is unheard of. If the plea would have been accepted, with parole, it would only have been two years time, the same amount of time as regular intercourse.

This kid sits in jail due to a series of bad choices he has made and continues to make. Yes, his punishment is excessive, but he is not a victim.

Yeah, yeah, but there is more than just 'the law' going on here. The legislature made new law and then refused to make it retroactive. The SC voted 4-3 on the case down racial lines. Apparently, the prosecutor can ask for a reduction of the charges. He's offered 5 years. He's hunkered down and now, with all the publicity making him look like an embicil, he's probably not going to back down at all.

For some reason, everyone is sticking to the letter of the law. And yes, the young man made some bad choices that individuals his age make EVERYDAY. What makes this case unique and UNFAIR is that the individuals older and more experienced than he are making decisions they don't make every day (witness the lack of prosecution/conviction for similiar circumstances) and seem to be making an exception in this case to make a point.

When you have cowards hiding behind 'the law' to exercise other demons then it's quite difficult for an individual to learn a lesson about right and wrong.

Mosbonian
01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah, yeah, but there is more than just 'the law' going on here. The legislature made new law and then refused to make it retroactive. The SC voted 4-3 on the case down racial lines. Apparently, the prosecutor can ask for a reduction of the charges. He's offered 5 years. He's hunkered down and now, with all the publicity making him look like an embicil, he's probably not going to back down at all.

For some reason, everyone is sticking to the letter of the law. And yes, the young man made some bad choices that individuals his age make EVERYDAY. What makes this case unique and UNFAIR is that the individuals older and more experienced than he are making decisions they don't make every day (witness the lack of prosecution/conviction for similiar circumstances) and seem to be making an exception in this case to make a point.

When you have cowards hiding behind 'the law' to exercise other demons then it's quite difficult for an individual to learn a lesson about right and wrong.

So...should we pick and choose which laws we enforce and which ones we "let slide".....

I am all for leniency....but for everyone to act like this is common everday stuff and we should let is slide is outrageous. How would you feel about this if the girls were your daughters? Irregardless of whether they consented or not, this kid made his choice.

I'm not for having him in prison with all the worst criminal element of society. But this isn't as easy to gloss over as some has inferred in their posts. And he isn't the victim to the depth that this article is trying to portray.

Let me ask this....this kid, we believe, was drinking and maybe taking drugs. Just because "every teen does it these days" (and exaggeration if I have ever heard one) doesn't make it right.

Sorry...the more people post trying to exact sympathy, the less I am prone to exhibit it.

mmaddog

Mr. Laz
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Let me ask this....this kid, we believe, was drinking and maybe taking drugs. Just because "every teen does it these days" (and exaggeration if I have ever heard one) doesn't make it right.

Sorry...the more people post trying to exact sympathy, the less I am prone to exhibit it.

mmaddog
so charge him with underage possession ... i've got no problem with the police charging ALL OF THE KIDS present with an alcohol and/or drug related charges.

but they didn't that i've heard

they only charged him with a sex related charge ... one that is complete crap.

she was 15 ... but you gotta figure since she was in high school that she was almost 16 and he was 17.

estimate a difference of 17 months difference in their actual age.

no way should that be illegal

no way should his life be destroy because he is labeled a child molestor/statutory rapist/sexual predator and be on the sexual offender list.

he will never get a decent job ... be harrassed by every neighborhood he lives in.

any real quality of life he could have is done ... over.

Sully
01-27-2007, 11:46 AM
So...should we pick and choose which laws we enforce and which ones we "let slide".....

If they didn't charge him for the drugs and alcohol... that is EXACTLY what these people did.

memyselfI
01-27-2007, 12:57 PM

mmaddog

Oh, I'm not on the 'everybody does it' side of the argument here. I'm on the side of trying to hold this young man accountable in the SAME WAY AS EVERY ONE ELSE in the same situation...which would mean not at all.

The prosecutor found an archiac law and applied it in a fashion that was meant for serial pedophiles and NOT first time offenders. Thus, this young man is NOT BEING TREATED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

My problem is that he's being singled out and not that he should get a pass because 'everyone else' does it. He should be so lucky to be treated like everyone else. MOF, if everyone else was a consideration here then this young man wouldn't have a concern because it wouldn't be an issue.

memyselfI
01-27-2007, 01:48 PM
CNN is running a special about this topic tonight. Check your local listings for the time.

Hopefully with increased awareness will come increased results. And hopefully prison has not ruined this young man.

memyselfI
01-27-2007, 01:51 PM

I am all for leniency....but for everyone to act like this is common everday stuff and we should let is slide is outrageous. How would you feel about this if the girls were your daughters? Irregardless of whether they consented or not, this kid made his choice.

mmaddog

BTW, if the girls were my daughters I think I would believe they deserved to be punished as much if not more than the boys. None of them were forced to do a damn thing and if you are 15 and allowing one, two, or more different boys to have sex with you within minutes then something is VERY wrong with you. MOF, I think the parents of these girls should be held accountable as well.

NewChief
01-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh, I'm not on the 'everybody does it' side of the argument here. I'm on the side of trying to hold this young man accountable in the SAME WAY AS EVERY ONE ELSE in the same situation...which would mean not at all.

The prosecutor found an archiac law and applied it in a fashion that was meant for serial pedophiles and NOT first time offenders. Thus, this young man is NOT BEING TREATED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

My problem is that he's being singled out and not that he should get a pass because 'everyone else' does it. He should be so lucky to be treated like everyone else. MOF, if everyone else was a consideration here then this young man wouldn't have a concern because it wouldn't be an issue.

Actually, I believe the other people were charged. They just all plead out. He entered an innocent plea. Regardless, I think the case is a joke, but just want to be sure you understand what happened.

memyselfI
01-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Actually, I believe the other people were charged. They just all plead out. He entered an innocent plea. Regardless, I think the case is a joke, but just want to be sure you understand what happened.

Yes, the other people in this case were charged. Wilson was the only one who refused to plea to a guilty charge. My point was outside of this case it seems this law is not enforced in similiar circumstances.

I had not heard the girl was white. But that was the ah-hah moment I'd been looking for. :doh!:

Lzen
01-29-2007, 10:40 PM

Wow, you are a total dickhead. Seriouosly, you need to get a grip on reality. So, you also think abortion should be mandatory? Perhaps a communist country like China would be more to your liking. People like you are what is wrong this country, shithead. The truly sad part is that you're too stupid to realize it. :rolleyes:

BTW, you might want to learn proper grammar before you call others names like idiot.

BWillie
01-29-2007, 10:53 PM

Personally, I don't understand why abortion is necessary. I think it's sad that so many women chose to keep their babies. There are so many people wanting to adopt children it's unreal, and yet instead of giving these kids to a great home, they keep them in a drug filled, poor, and disgusting environment. I think the social services should evaluate any single mother under the age of 22 to see if she deserves to keep her child. There are so many instances where these women become so attached and refused to leave the child even if giving it up for adoption would of been the better choice. It's sad.

I also don't think that keeping the child should be a joint decision. I don't think you should abort your child, but to some point that has to be a personal choice. I don't understand why a guy is considered a horrible person because the girl he knocked up has a child, and doesn't want to keep it. The girl always has a choice if they wanted to keep the child, have an abortion, or give it up for adoption. The guy has no choice at all. I think if the guy wants the child up for adoption, and the woman doesn't he shouldn't have to pay child support and the child should be put up for adoption. If they both agree, then yes the man should pay child support. If they both do not want the baby, then they should give it up for adoption.

Chief Chief
01-30-2007, 06:55 AM
I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony...