PDA

View Full Version : Mock Drafts. In hindsight who is the best?

BigRedChief
01-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Every site, newspaper and poster on this board can put together a mock draft but who is the best at predicting the draft? Who's most consistent? Anyone know of a site that compares? What say you?

jiveturkey
01-26-2007, 08:05 AM
http://thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml

Rick Gosslin owns everyone.

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2007, 08:35 AM
The only two I pay serious attention to are Gosselin and Pat Kirwan.

They both do an excellent job.

The rest: waste of time, IMO.

That includes Jesus Kiper.

Chiefnj
01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
IMO, the best indicator would be predictng the correct round a player is taken and not necessarily by what team. Predicting the team is a crapshoot unless you have inside info like Gosselin. You aren't predicting a trade down and Siavii as your first pick unless someone tipped you off.

BigRedChief
01-26-2007, 08:45 AM
http://thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml

Rick Gosslin owns everyone.
Cool info! :clap:

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
IMO, the best indicator would be predictng the correct round a player is taken and not necessarily by what team. Predicting the team is a crapshoot unless you have inside info like Gosselin. You aren't predicting a trade down and Siavii as your first pick unless someone tipped you off.

Ironically enough, Gosselin had Junior Siavii on his top 100 at like #36, and he predicted the Chiefs would trade down into that range. He nailed the Siavii pick.

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Cool info! :clap:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156464

:whip:

:thumb:

Chiefnj
01-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Ironically enough, Gosselin had Junior Siavii on his top 100 at like #36, and he predicted the Chiefs would trade down into that range. He nailed the Siavii pick.

Proof that: (a) he is as bad as Vermeil when assessing the value of DTs;and (b) someone tipped him off of the Chiefs draft plans.

BigRedChief
01-26-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156464

:whip:

:thumb:
Once again you prove that U DA MAN! :clap:

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Scott Wright historically has some of the most accurate mock drafts, but Mike Mayock is quickly becoming the best in the biz. He accurately predicted Buffalo would take Donte Whitner at #8 last year when most people had him going in the 20's; that being said, some have suggested that the NFL is feeding him some inside info because they want improved credibility over Kiper and ESPN.

Chiefnj
01-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Scott Wright historically has some of the most accurate mock drafts, but Mike Mayock is quickly becoming the best in the biz. He accurately predicted Buffalo would take Donte Whitner at #8 last year when most people had him going in the 20's; that being said, some have suggested that the NFL is feeding him some inside info because they want improved credibility over Kiper and ESPN.

Maycock's ratings are very different from others. On nfl.com you can see the day 4 clip and he has the CB from Cal (Daymeon) as the 11th best DB (including safeties and CBs) and even had Reggie Nelson out of the top 5.

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Maycock's ratings are very different from others. On nfl.com you can see the day 4 clip and he has the CB from Cal (Daymeon) as the 11th best DB (including safeties and CBs) and even had Reggie Nelson out of the top 5.

Yep, he definitely challenges conventional wisdom with his picks - many times he is spot on, which makes some people wonder if he's getting info that isn't privy to the public.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2007, 11:45 AM
The only two I pay serious attention to are Gosselin and Pat Kirwan.

They both do an excellent job.

The rest: waste of time, IMO.

That includes Jesus Kiper.
kiper is at 78.7% on the 3 years average ..... hardly a waste

Mr. Laz
01-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Yep, he definitely challenges conventional wisdom with his picks - many times he is spot on, which makes some people wonder if he's getting info that isn't privy to the public.
i think Mayock is just rating the player by his person opinion

i think guys like gosselin and kiper actually try and find out what teams prefer to predict selection.

judging talent versus prediction team judgement

i prefer "judging talent" ... if the teams aren't smart enough to judge then that's their problem.

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Proof that: (a) he is as bad as Vermeil when assessing the value of DTs;and (b) someone tipped him off of the Chiefs draft plans.

Goose doesn't evaluate players. His top 100 is based solely on info he gets from his sources.

In the case of Siavii, it was 100% (b).

htismaqe
01-26-2007, 12:15 PM

I think I predicted that as well. :D

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
kiper is at 78.7% on the 3 years average ..... hardly a waste

In your opinion.

I think he gets WAY too much hype. Every year, there are 4-5 people/publications that do a much better job than Kiper does. Yet who is the first person the average fan thinks of regarding the draft?

Mel Kiper Jr. Why?

Because he gets a ton of face time on ESPN.

Not because he's he best in the business. There are several better. Just based on numbers, Gosselin comes in at just under 90%.

Again, this is only my opinion.

KurtCobain
01-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I guessed the top three last year. But yeah, I'd say Mel Kiper Jr.'s got it going on.

eazyb81
01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Kiper gets the most attention because:

A. he started the draftnik craze, and

B. he has an interesting and outgoing personality.

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
thanks again for the info