PDA

View Full Version : Movie - Smokin' Aces

teedubya
01-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Has anyone else seen this yet?

Wow. One word. ****ingBrutal.

Great movie, with soo much violence, it was unreal. It was comical the amount of violence that was going on.

Great cast. Jeremy Piven, Andy Garcia, Ben Affleck, Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Common, Alicia Keys, Jason Bateman...

There is one mob boss left and Buddy 'Aces' Israel [piven] is a Las Vegas magician who gets caught up in mob activities... and the mob bosses want him dead... so they hire all these contract killers to get to Israel before the Feds can get him.

Unreal movie. I was spellbound the whole time. Funny, violent, and violent.

Brock
01-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Read the script online. I'm betting it's very good.

OnTheWarpath15
01-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm betting I'll love it since the reviews are generally horrible......

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156838&highlight=aces

the Talking Can
01-27-2007, 12:19 PM
I've been in the mood for an over the top, stylized action flick....but the reviews have been brutal...

teedubya
01-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been in the mood for an over the top, stylized action flick....but the reviews have been brutal...

It is definitely over the top... I can see why the critics didnt like it... somethings were so mad and violent that it defied reality, but that was kinda the point.

I usually dig the movies that the critics hate... last one that this was the case, We Are Marshall. If you want over the top action flick, you will ****ing love this movie

The script was amazing.

Brock
01-27-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/movies/229871,WKP-News-smokin26.article

Here's a positive review.

the Talking Can
01-27-2007, 03:11 PM
It is definitely over the top... I can see why the critics didnt like it... somethings were so mad and violent that it defied reality, but that was kinda the point.

I usually dig the movies that the critics hate... last one that this was the case, We Are Marshall. If you want over the top action flick, you will ****ing love this movie

The script was amazing.

cool.....I'm going to see it

I like Piven a lot

Demonpenz
01-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I didn't really like it, but then again I am not a big pivon fan. His humor is tired.

the Talking Can
01-28-2007, 02:33 AM
good movie, as judged by its own intentions...unapologetic stylized carnage, just what I wanted....

Alicia Keys is hot...damn, I had no idea

big nasty kcnut
01-28-2007, 02:44 AM
We need gaz hoot scale for this movie.

ChiefsFanInIndy
01-28-2007, 04:20 AM

When I saw previews I figured it was a must see. Then I saw 3 different reviews that hammered it and figured I would pass.

Saw it anyway and loved it. Reminded me a lot of Domino.

The cast was great. And Alicia Keyes was hot. Piven was a minor part of it if you ask me.

the Talking Can
01-28-2007, 08:49 AM
When I saw previews I figured it was a must see. Then I saw 3 different reviews that hammered it and figured I would pass.

Saw it anyway and loved it. Reminded me a lot of Domino.

The cast was great. And Alicia Keyes was hot. Piven was a minor part of it if you ask me.

yeah, the previews are a bit misleading about Isreal's screen time...and Jason Bateman(?) was hilarious...good casting

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
01-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Ever since Piven was in PCU he's been one of my favorite actors.

irishjayhawk
01-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Man, I miss the good ole theatre working days where I saw everything for free and sometimes early.

SBK
01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I passed on seeing this because of the reviews. Guess I'll have to check it out this week.

Violence = good movie

POND_OF_RED
01-28-2007, 09:43 PM
This is CoMoChief, just saw the movie. ****in sweet, tons of violence in that shooting spree during the elevator scene towards the end. I kinda wish Piven had a bigger role. Sounded just like Ari Gold though.

Pitt Gorilla
01-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Jason Bateman = Gold

Deberg_1990
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Nice to see Jason Bateman making a comeback of sorts the past few years.

Ive always liked his comic timing.

Even when he was a kid in the 80's on such sitcoms as "Its Your Move" and "Hogan Family" i thought he showed alot of ability.

mcan
01-29-2007, 04:01 AM
I thought the movie was a pretty good time, and definately worth eating some popcorn to. But it has some pretty serious flaws that keep it from reaching the status of it's contemporaries: Kill Bill... Etc...

1. There is WAY too much exposition. They make it fun to watch, but pretty much, you could shut your eyes and understand this whole movie. Everything is spoon fed to you... Granted the spoons are coming at breakneck speed, so you still might miss something, but this movie is as far away from a "thinker" as it gets.

2. Plot points are pretty contrived. Except for the anagnorisis (twist) everything is pretty easily seen from a mile away. Even part of the "twist" is pretty obvious from about the half-way point on. That doesn't stop the movie from explaining to you (in monologue form) when you get there though.

3. Too many characters means never really developing any of them.

4. The direction of the movie wanted to be WAY stylized like Kill Bill, but instead just comes off like a music video.