PDA

View Full Version : HUNTING IN KANSAS CITY

Wilson8
01-27-2007, 11:06 PM
From an NFL.com story. -

HUNTING IN KANSAS CITY
Always looking to upgrade its roster, Kansas City worked out some familiar names this weekend for potential roster spots.
The Chiefs started with wide receiver Charles Rogers, the former No. 2 overall pick who has bounced around looking for work after the Detroit Lions released him.
Kansas City also worked out former Tennessee Titans linebacker Rocky Calmus, who excelled at Oklahoma, and former Steelers quarterback Omar Jacobs, a Bowling Green standout.
And lastly, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards is reaching back to his New York connections, trying out defensive back Jamie Henderson, whose Jets career was cut short when he was involved in a serious motorcycle accident.
The Chiefs could opt to sign any one of these players. Or they could opt to pass on all and continue hunting for training-camp players.

HTTP://WWW.NFL.COM/NFLNETWORK/STORY/9958029

boogblaster
01-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Try-outs have begun..hope some are able too help us...

Eleazar
01-27-2007, 11:13 PM
The Chiefs could opt to sign any one of these players. Or they could opt to pass on all and continue hunting for training-camp players.

That's the kind of hard-hitting analysis we fans are looking for. ROFL

KcMizzou
01-27-2007, 11:15 PM
That's the kind of hard-hitting analysis we fans are looking for. ROFL
I was thinking the same thing.

"They could do this... or maybe something else. It's also possible that they could do nothing."

Wilson8
01-27-2007, 11:15 PM
It is Adam Schefter's report...

Wilson8
01-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Just thought it was interesting because each one of these guys has had some talent in the past.

Priest4Prez
01-27-2007, 11:18 PM
I have only heard of Rodgers. Nice Connections Herm! Maybe we could land a real player. Who can compete for a starting job

KcMizzou
Just thought it was interesting because each one of these guys has had some talent in the past.Sure, and thanks for posting it.

I just found that one sentence amusing.

Wilson8
Gunther worked with Rocky Calmus in Tennessee. The big question for him is being able to stay healthy.

Eleazar
01-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah Wilson, I wasn't making fun of you, just the amateurish way that line was written.

Wilson8
01-27-2007, 11:23 PM
That's ok. I just posted it exactly as it was on NFL.COM. I have been surprised that the Chiefs are not signing or at least announcing, some new additions to the roster.

Wilson8
01-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Many teams have been naming their NFL Europe rosters.

DenverChief
01-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Omar Jacobs eh?

http://images.nfl.com/images/draft/2006/mugs/jacobs_omar.jpg
Omar Jacobs
Height: 6-4
Weight: 233
40 Speed: 4.83 C

Jacobs was one of the most disappointing quarterbacks graded because when he declared early for the 2006 NFL Draft, all the media was talking about him being a top 10 pick and challenging Matt Leinart and Vince Young for the top quarterback spot. However, after watching film, it was quickly apparent that Jacobs most likely was not going to be chosen on the first day of the draft. He has the mental intangibles and physical tools to play quarterback in the NFL, but in order for him to become the player he is capable of, he is going to have to greatly improve his throwing technique. He has played almost exclusively in the shotgun formation and will need to adjust to lining up under center in a more traditional NFL offense. He needs to become much more consistent striding into throws while keeping his front leg bent and following through on passes in order to become a consistent-enough passer to be productive in the NFL. He's poised and relaxed in the pocket when the pressure is all around him and if he can improve his mechanics to become an accurate passer, he is already polished in terms of staying in the pocket and making late throws under heavy pressure. While he has a good-enough arm to make all the throws, he does not have a top-level arm so, unless his technique becomes very good and he always strides into throws, he will never be able to make the deep throw with consistent accuracy and zip. He has a tendency to try and put zip on passes down the field, which lets defensive backs cut in front of the receiver and make plays on the ball consistently. Overall, Jacobs is going to be a mid-round pick because he has the physical tools to start in the NFL. However, most quarterbacks who come into the NFL with major technique problems are not able to improve their technique enough to become the player they are physically capable of.

STRONG POINTS

Jacobs is a very smart quarterback who shows very good patience and poise in the pocket vs. the rush. He does not panic and will wait a long time to try and make good throws. His natural size and strength enable him to keep his feet in the pocket while pass rushers try and grab at his feet to trip him up. He has good size and the natural arm strength to make all the throws with zip and accuracy when he does everything right technique-wise. He reads the defense well at the line of scrimmage and can adjust to the blitz, finds the vacated area and hits the receiver who goes there. He has consistently shown the ability to step up and convert important downs into first downs. While he lacks good playing speed when he scrambles, he has the strength to break tackles and gains yards after contact.

WEAKNESSES

Jacobs is an adequate athlete who lacks the foot quickness and playing speed to make big plays with his feet. He has bad footwork and throwing technique really hinder his ability to consistently throw accurately. He stands very upright in the pocket and usually does not stride into his throws -- even when he does, he strides with a stiff front leg and snaps over it. Because he does not stride into or follow through on passes, his passes do not consistently have zip and they tend to dip in front of the receiver on medium/deep routes. He has a sidearm throwing motion, which leads to him getting passes tipped at the line of scrimmage, and he's a little bit deliberate, which allows defenders to read the pass quickly and break and close fast to make plays on the ball.

Wilson8
01-28-2007, 12:04 AM
For three of these guys, it is a study in hard luck and injury. Rocky Calmus out of Oklahoma and from Tulsa area, was with the Titans and then the Colts. Had some talent at Oklahoma and was a 3rd round pick of the Titans. Can not seem to stay healthy though and probably will never make it. Charles Rogers most people recognize because of being the 2nd overall pick for Detroit in 2003. How many collar bone and other injuries has he had? He also had a four game suspension for substance abuse. He did not play last year. Jamie Henderson was a talented CB/safety out of Georgia. He went to the New York Jets as a 4th round pick. In 2004 he received a brain injury from a motorcycle accident.

Chief Roundup
01-28-2007, 12:15 AM
All of this makes me think of Gretz's article about us going back to trying to find some talent in street free agents. I am all for taking a look and bringing in those who can help this team. Even if they are better quality depth and hopefully better special teams play.

RedThat
01-28-2007, 12:39 AM
I'd like for the Chiefs to take a chance on Charles Rogers. He has some talent, but bad luck because of always being injured.

But we could use some WR help. It doesn't necessarily have to be a starter, even just to add depth. You never know? Rogers could be one of those guys that could come at a right price, and produce. He was the #2 overall pick in the draft a while back? I would take a chance on that kinda talent.

Halfcan
01-28-2007, 03:00 AM
A real footbal thread-I almost missed it.

Pass on the QB-but sign the rest. We need major upgrades at almost every position. Get out the fuggin check book you cheap ass mother fuggers.

Halfcan
01-28-2007, 03:01 AM
I'd like for the Chiefs to take a chance on Charles Rogers. He has some talent, but bad luck because of always being injured.

But we could use some WR help. It doesn't necessarily have to be a starter, even just to add depth. You never know? Rogers could be one of those guys that could come at a right price, and produce. He was the #2 overall pick in the draft a while back? I would take a chance on that kinda talent.

Better than Ashley.

Eleazar
01-28-2007, 04:35 AM

It wasn't just his injuries, he was in trouble for drugs and had a bad attitude/work ethic.

royr17
01-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Charles Rogers would be a good receiver if he can stay healthy.

Easy 6
01-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Rogers would have to set training camp on fire for me to be interested, problem is with his past, he might ACTUALLY set camp on fire.

But i definitely loved Omar in Lawrence of Arabia.

cookster50
01-28-2007, 09:28 AM
All of this makes me think of Gretz's article about us going back to trying to find some talent in street free agents. .

Quick, go sign Shane Falco!!!

Priest4Prez
01-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Quick, go sign Shane Falco!!!
ROFL

RedThat
01-28-2007, 12:29 PM
It wasn't just his injuries, he was in trouble for drugs and had a bad attitude/work ethic.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. Thank you.