PDA

View Full Version : Clarification

bdeg
01-29-2007, 03:01 AM
Hey there, just looking for a simple clarification from some of the more knowledgeable members here. Can someone clarify for me the different positions a DT plays? I have heard a lot from reading about Okoye how he is a 3-gap DT, whereas some are 1 or 2 gap? Can someone clear this up?

Smed1065
01-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Depends on the system used. we use the 1 gap, IIRC.
Here is what I know about gaps or the best reference I found in a quick search.

* 0-Technique: The defender lines up face-to-face with the center.
* 1-Technique: The defender lines up on the center’s outside shoulder.
* 2-Technique: The defender lines up on the guard’s inside shoulder.
* 3-Technique: The defender lines up on the guard’s outside shoulder, between the guard and the tackle.
* 4-Technique: The defender lines up on the tackle’s inside shoulder, though often coaches want 4-technique linemen face-to-face with an offensive tackle.
* 5-Technique: The defender lines up on the tackle’s outside shoulder.
* 6-Technique: The defender lines up on the tight end’s inside shoulder or (if there is no tight end) about 1.5 yards wide of the tackle.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/07/08/ramblings/strategy-minicamps/2704/

One gap is where the defensive tackle has a certain gap they are responsible for. They line up over the gap and are responsible for rushing the passer through that gap and for any blocker or running back who comes through that gap.

A two gap system is where the defensive lineman lines up directly over the guard or center. Their main responsibility is not to take up a gap but to take on the blockers themselves.

Usually a big NT, IIRC. Space eater type.

|Zach|
01-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Smed, great find...good info. It gives you the gist of everything...the system I am familiar with is the same just a little switched up as far as what represents what. I am sure this has to do with whatever emphasis a defense has. The first thing that comes to mind is that this is a defense that almost never lines a defensive lineman "head up" with the center. Every 0 technique is on the shoulder of a center.

0= Shaded on center's shoulder based on strength of offense
1= Inside shoulder of guard.
2= Head up on guard.
3= Outside shoulder of guard.

The pure "gaps" are labeled with letters.

The two defenders do not have a left or right but line up according to the offense. The "3" technique lines up to the strength. So if the defensive call is a "31" that tells the defensive tackle to lineup in the 3 technique to the strong side and the nose tackle to line up in the 1 technique to the weak side.

I drew it up in crude fashion...

Smed1065
01-29-2007, 05:10 AM
I am just learning defense, since you know who came on board. I was offense before.

Simplex3
01-29-2007, 08:45 AM
WTF? Football talk? Maybe we should set up a sub-forum for this off-topic stuff...

Smed1065
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
WTF? Football talk? Maybe we should set up a sub-forum for this off-topic stuff...

Sounds good to me! I will remember this as we closer to playing in the season!

ROFL

crazycoffey
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Good job Zach, like the pictures, I actually learned something here.

I guess that means I can leave.

|Zach|
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Good job Zach, like the pictures, I actually learned something here.

I guess that means I can leave.
Glad it helped.