PDA

View Full Version : Toughest bird ever. Gunshot duck survives 2 days in fridge

BigRedChief
01-29-2007, 09:59 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-01-20-duck-fridge_x.htm

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The duck wouldn't die.

Wildlife officials said the feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days. That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.
The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The hospital's staff had the daughter take the 1-pound female ring-neck to Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75% chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times.

He understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.
"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

crazycoffey
01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
or worst hunter ever.....

Rooster
01-29-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-01-20-duck-fridge_x.htm

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The duck wouldn't die.

Wildlife officials said the feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days. That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.
The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The hospital's staff had the daughter take the 1-pound female ring-neck to Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75% chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times.

He understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.
"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."

WTF?? That is crazy.

BigRedChief
01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I heard on the radio that the wife took him to the vet hospital and that during the operation to remove the gunshot the bird died and the vet performed CPR and revived the bird.

JBucc
01-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I heard on the radio that the wife took him to the vet hospital and that during the operation to remove the gunshot the bird died and the vet performed CPR and revived the bird.They should name him Quack Bauer.

Frazod
01-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I had a similar experience with a rabbit once, but not quite to that degree. I hit it from such a great distance (one of the best shots of my life) that the shot merely stunned it. I stuffed it in the sack with the other critters and a few minutes later it started squirming around. Died of shock/horror shortly thereafter, though.

Didn't have to worry about biting into a pellet in that one. :D

JBucc
01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
They should name him Quack Bauer.God you're a dumbass

Phobia
01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
They should name him Quack Bauer.
Best post of your esteemed posting career.

Nzoner
01-29-2007, 10:14 AM

I have to admit I got a chuckle on that one.

Frazod
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Booooooooooooo......

ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
What a fowl story.

ROYC75
01-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I bet he was Quacking cold in that fridge.......

ROYC75
I bet he was Quacking cold in that fridge.......

Or better yet ........... Cold Duck ?

Fire Me Boy!
This thread is going "down".

Frazod
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I hope while it was in the refrigerator it didn't catch a cold, or some other mallardy.

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Someone kept peking in to make sure he was dying and giving him extra air.

J Diddy
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
What a fowl story.

I know man, that is DUCKED up

ExtremeChief
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
I had a similar experience with a rabbit once, but not quite to that degree. I hit it from such a great distance (one of the best shots of my life) that the shot merely stunned it. I stuffed it in the sack with the other critters and a few minutes later it started squirming around. Died of shock/horror shortly thereafter, though.

Didn't have to worry about biting into a pellet in that one. :D

A rabbit is quite a bit smaller than a refridgerator I guess.

Extra Point
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
That answers the question as to what kind of idiot would shoot a duck and not dress it before putting it in the fridge. If it died, then they dressed it, that would have been one rubber duck at the dinner table.

Chief Pote
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM

ROFL

BigRedChief
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
jeezzzz the internet moves fast. The story is already in wikipedia under ducks and trivia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck

BIG_DADDY
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I didn't realize Lazarus had feathers and was a she.

KC Kings
01-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Why would you refrigerate it before field dressing it? I am not an avid duck hunter, but when we go duck hunting we usually rip open the breast, cut out the breast meat and leave the rest of the bird. With rabbits I always immediately field dress them. Step on the head and pull on the back legs, to get the head off. Then you cut from the breast plate down, grab the front legs and give it one good lasso twirl. All the guts come flying out and you have a field dressed rabbit without any mess in about 30 seconds.

crazycoffey
01-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Why would you refrigerate it before field dressing it? I am not an avid duck hunter, but when we go duck hunting we usually rip open the breast, cut out the breast meat and leave the rest of the bird. With rabbits I always immediately field dress them. Step on the head and pull on the back legs, to get the head off. Then you cut from the breast plate down, grab the front legs and give it one good lasso twirl. All the guts come flying out and you have a field dressed rabbit without any mess in about 30 seconds.

Good Question, for the answer - refer to post #2

Redrum_69
01-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Talk about Fowl Play

BigRedChief
01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.woman-magazin.de/bilder/gewinnspiele/24_vorlage.jpg
We need the photoshop guru's to come up with a Quack Bauer

BigRedChief
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Call her Lazarus — and then some.
The ring-neck duck has been shot by a hunter, rescued from two days in a refrigerator by his wife and — in its latest brush with death — resuscitated on a veterinarian's operating table.
The one-pound female duck stopped breathing Saturday during an operation to repair gunshot damage to her wing, said Noni Beck of Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. Veterinarian David Hale performed CPR and managed to get the fractured fowl breathing again after several tense moments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16866547/?GT1=8921

Iowanian
01-29-2007, 12:03 PM
they're idiots for ever mentioning it.

He hunted and shot the duck, brought it home and put it in the fridge to eat. They should have given its neck a spin and cooked it in a nice Skillet with rabbit and elk chunks.

Idiots. If the guy wasn't a shitty hunter, he'd have already had it skinned.

gblowfish
01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I dunno. That lawyer that Cheney shot was a pretty tough bird too...

Redrum_69
01-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Sounds like her goose was almost cooked............

Iowanian
01-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I'll bet she was just high, and when she opend the door, saw its head still attached, about shat herself when the duck looked up and said

"AAAFLAAAAAAAAC"

JBucc
01-29-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.woman-magazin.de/bilder/gewinnspiele/24_vorlage.jpg
We need the photoshop guru's to come up with a Quack BauerI'm no photoshop guru, in fact I don't even have photoshop, but.....

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3074/24vorlageuw3.jpg
...this is what immediately came to mind.

crazycoffey
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm no photoshop guru, in fact I don't even have photoshop, but.....

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3074/24vorlageuw3.jpg
...this is what immediately came to mind.

ROFL Is that the head of Howard the duck!?!ROFL

RealSNR
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll bet she was just high, and when she opend the door, saw its head still attached, about shat herself when the duck looked up and said

"AAAFLAAAAAAAAC"
ROFL

C-Mac
01-29-2007, 02:30 PM
:)

Easy 6
01-29-2007, 02:46 PM
That must have been a very unpheasant experience for the poor duck.

Iowanian
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Lady "Hey Daffy, What you doin in there?"

Donald Duck "jusccchhhhht Chillin, bhhhhaby"

BigRedChief
01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
ROFL Is that the head of Howard the duck!?!ROFL
Howard the duck ROFL
All we need is the youtube link to this Bugs and Daffy exchange
Rabbit season
Duck Season
Rabbit Season
Duck Season

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Talk about Fowl Play
You're about 1 hour 10 minutes behind the ball there, RedRum... check post 11.

ChiefaRoo
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Best post of your esteemed posting career.

Funny.

crazycoffey
01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Howard the duck ROFL
All we need is the youtube link to this Bugs and Daffy exchange
Rabbit season
Duck Season
Rabbit Season
Duck Season

I love those old cartoons. What the hell has happened to TV?

ROYC75
01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I love those old cartoons. What the hell has happened to TV?

Bet that duck is wishing he hadn't tried out for that script.......