PDA

View Full Version : Should the elderly lose driving priveleges after a certain age?

OnTheWarpath15
01-30-2007, 09:33 AM
According to studies, senior drivers have the highest rates of fatal car accidents per mile except teen-agers.

Just yesterday in STL, an 84 year old woman slammed through a school cafeteria wall, killing one student and injuring several others.

This summer, a 70 year old woman struck and killed a highway worker. The worker was on the shoulder of a closed lane. The driver was travelling an estimated 15 MPH over the work zone limit.

This morning, while heading to Walgreens to pick up a script for my wife, an elderly lady was driving in the middle "suicide" turn lane, ran a red light and struck a family waiting to make a left turn (coming the other direction) at a stoplight. Her first comment to police? "I don't know why that car was in MY lane....."

Should legislation be passed that senior citizens have to be retested at a certain age?

Poll to follow......

ChiTown
01-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree on the re-testing after the age of 70.

I'm actually more concerned about "kids" than old people. Teenagers driving on the road are the ABSOLUTE worst drivers in the world. They make elderly drivers look like Drivers Ed Instructors.

Brock
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh, and if you can't speak english, F OFF. NO LICENSE.

Bearcat
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I've seen one elderly person turn left and drive up the off ramp of I29 North at Barry Road like she was going onto 29 South..... and another one driving the wrong way on 9 Highway just north of Northtown where there wasn't anywhere to turn around.

Yes.

Rain Man
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
As Chitown says, a better approach would be to not allow people to drive until they're 25.

The figures are actually skewed a bit on the fatal crashes, too. While teenagers are more likely to be involved in fatal crashes, it's because they're REALLY screwing up, and I suspect that "their" fatalities are more often the person in the other car. Elderly people's fatal crashes more typically involve themselves as the death due to their lesser physical condition, in crashes that may not be as bad. At least, that's what I've surmised from the data. (I've done a fair amount of work in this area.)

Kraut
01-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree on the re-testing after the age of 70.

I'm actually more concerned about "kids" than old people. Teenagers driving on the road are the ABSOLUTE worst drivers in the world. They make elderly drivers look like Drivers Ed Instructors.
Both of your points are right on. I agree with the re - testing at 70.

Simplex3
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a right, and should be treated as such.

The tests for driving a 2000lb weapon should be much harder to pass than they are.

I'd love to see something to the tune of a video game with force-feedback at the DMV that tests people's ability to react to a kid stepping out between two cars, etc. If you don't have the strength/speed to maintain control of the vehicle or the mental facilities needed to turn the proper directions you don't need to be driving.

boogblaster
01-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Id say testing after retirement every time you get a new licence..we've got a neighbor hes 91 still drives.. if you meet him on these gravel roads you have to get over..he won't get out of the middle..we like the ole-fart so we take him for granted..if he lived in a metro hed be dangerous tho....

pikesome
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't know about taking it at a certain age. Driving drunk is dangerous mostly because you lose reaction time as well as some decision making ability. I would say that most older folks suffer from the first in some form or another, the second is probably less widespread. I'm not sure how you would effectively test it but reflexes aren't going to come back once age starts to degrade them, it would seem that failing a reflex test ought to pull your licence.

Ultra Peanut
01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Testing after a certain age -- say, 65 -- is perfectly fine, and in no way unfair to those who are still capable of driving.

Frankly, though, people should probably be required to be tested every few years, regardless of age. I remember passing my driver's license test and thinking, "Wait, that's it?"

As Chitown says, a better approach would be to not allow people to drive until they're 25.That would just result in the rate of fatal crashes among the 25-30 age group skyrocketing.

King_Chief_Fan
01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
What is the right age to start testing?
I see folks that look to be 30-50 that I wonder how in the heck did they get a license to drive.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
CRUCIFY THEM!

Rain Man
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
That would just result in the rate of fatal crashes among the 25-30 age group skyrocketing.

I have no doubt that it would go up, but I doubt that it would approach the levels of the 16 and 17 year-olds. A 25 year-old is an entirely different species than a 16 year-old in terms of judgment.

I agree with the retesting beyond a certain age, though.

Rain Man
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
What is the right age to start testing?
I see folks that look to be 30-50 that I wonder how in the heck did they get a license to drive.

We hold the power. You can't mess with us.

RJ
01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
According to studies, senior drivers have the highest rates of fatal car accidents per mile except teen-agers.

Just yesterday in STL, an 84 year old woman slammed through a school cafeteria wall, killing one student and injuring several others.

This summer, a 70 year old woman struck and killed a highway worker. The worker was on the shoulder of a closed lane. The driver was travelling an estimated 15 MPH over the work zone limit.

This morning, while heading to Walgreens to pick up a script for my wife, an elderly lady was driving in the middle "suicide" turn lane, ran a red light and struck a family waiting to make a left turn (coming the other direction) at a stoplight. Her first comment to police? "I don't know why that car was in MY lane....."

Should legislation be passed that senior citizens have to be retested at a certain age?

Poll to follow......

It's the driving into buildings thing that I find most worrisome. I've lost track of how many times that's happened here locally in the past couple years. Apparently they get mixed up between which is the gas and which is the brake and next thing they know they're parked in a dentist's office and a couple of people are dead.

But on the lighter side, has anyone seen the Southpark episode dedicated to the subject? Very funny stuff. Here's the script.

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/southpark/season7/southpark-710.htm

Mr. Laz
01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
no ... they should just have to pass a test like everyone else.

it's about competency, not age.

Chiefs_Fan
01-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Every year. It's the only way to get the dangerious ones off the road.

But that still will not help with the ones that happen to have a heart attack or some other problem that causes them to wreck.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2007, 11:53 AM
btw ... this poll is retarted

Yes. Starting at a certain age, drivers would be retested every year

No. This isn't fair to seniors who still have their mental acuity

option 1 and option 2 are basically the same answer

"retested every year"

"still have their mental acuity"

they both say "if older people are capable" they should still drive

keg in kc
01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I'd say a test every six months when you're a certain age. What that age is, I don't know. 65? Although my parents are both 67 and perfectly competent. Maybe 70.

Phobia
01-30-2007, 12:03 PM
btw ... this poll is retarted

Yes. Starting at a certain age, drivers would be retested every year

No. This isn't fair to seniors who still have their mental acuity

option 1 and option 2 are basically the same answer

"retested every year"

"still have their mental acuity"

they both say "if older people are capable" they should still drive

As you've proven many times (including now) the mental acuity can depart at any time.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2007, 12:06 PM
As you've proven many times (including now) the mental acuity can depart at any time.
at least my avatar is still cute

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM

(insert past history of warpaint illustrated here)

L.A. Chieffan
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm sure many people here remember this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/07/16/farmers.market.crash/index.html

Horrible stuff.
It was a pretty big deal in L.A. for a while and I think it even spawned an entire South Park episode about elderly drivers.

The problem that can incur if the license is taken away is how are these people supposed to get around for necesseties such as hospital visits or going to the pharmacy, Oh and don't forget the bank. I think seniors go the bank every day to make a withdrawl and then go back to the bank the next day to redeposit it, or it seems that I'm always behind them in line. I think it's like the equivelent of playing video games for teenagers or something.

Calcountry
01-30-2007, 12:13 PM
They should be required to do a road test every 5 years after age 70, and have a rigorous eye examination every 2 years after 70 as well.

You would be amazed at the chit they will pull to stay on the road, and think about it. Wouldn't you do the same. Not driving is one step closer to the the walker, the wheel chair and the retirement home to them.

Nevertheless, that doesn't preclude public safety.

DeepSouth
01-30-2007, 12:13 PM
an elderly lady was driving in the middle "suicide" turn lane....

Was it because she was elderly or because she was female? How can you be sure ?

Simplex3
01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Every year. It's the only way to get the dangerious ones off the road.

But that still will not help with the ones that happen to have a heart attack or some other problem that causes them to wreck.
Nobody can stop all accidents, but we could have stopped the guy that mowed down dozens of people including a baby in a stroller in CA. That asshat had been plowing into s**t for years.

Logical
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
I answered your thread question, it is not the same as your poll question. I would guess I won't be the only one.

Ultra Peanut
01-30-2007, 12:20 PM
It's the driving into buildings thing that I find most worrisome. I've lost track of how many times that's happened here locally in the past couple years.Hmmm...

http://xs311.xs.to/xs311/07052/slayershalit.jpg (http://xs.to)

Logical
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd say a test every six months when you're a certain age. What that age is, I don't know. 65? Although my parents are both 67 and perfectly competent. Maybe 70.

Probably too frequent to be practical especially as our population shits to a vast increase of Seniors as a demographic.

Frazod
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Shit. I hit the wrong button. Meant to vote yes and voted no. Perhaps I should be tested. :banghead:

Anyway, at and beyond age 70, annual tests should be administered.

luv
01-30-2007, 12:23 PM
My mom is 56, and I already think she should be retested more often. On the other hand, my grandpa drove just fine up until he passed away in his seventies. I think it depends on the person, not the age.

Phobia
01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I answered your thread question, it is not the same as your poll question. I would guess I won't be the only one.

No kidding. Should we start testing for poll creation licenses?

RJ
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Shit. I hit the wrong button. Meant to vote yes and voted no. Perhaps I should be tested. :banghead:

Anyway, at and beyond age 70, annual tests should be administered.

See how easy it can happen?

Is that the Yes or No button?

Is that the gas pedal or the brake pedal?

Lzen
01-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I voted yes. However your poll doesn't make a lot of sense. FTR, I don't think they should automatically have their licenses taken away. I do think they should be required to do the driving test once a year after a certain age (perhaps 65).

Lzen
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Testing after a certain age -- say, 65 -- is perfectly fine, and in no way unfair to those who are still capable of driving.

Frankly, though, people should probably be required to be tested every few years, regardless of age. I remember passing my driver's license test and thinking, "Wait, that's it?"

That would just result in the rate of fatal crashes among the 25-30 age group skyrocketing.

Yeah, I just fill out the driving test and turn it in. As long as I get a certain percentage correct, I get my license renewed. Hell, the test is open book. For that matter, I could have someone else fill it out and I just take it to the DMV. Way too easy to get a license.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I didn't read the way the poll was worded and voted no, when after reading it I should have voted yes. I'm for testing.

Apparently I'm getting to old too pay attention.

BIG_DADDY
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I voted yes. However your poll doesn't make a lot of sense. FTR, I don't think they should automatically have their licenses taken away. I do think they should be required to do the driving test once a year after a certain age (perhaps 65).

Shit, pops is over seventy and raced cars most of his life. He can drive better right now than 99% of the people out there. I am not for blanket legislation of anything it's ****ing stupid. We have Chinese clowns out here who should have never been allowed behind the wheel ever at any age. If you can pass a driving test you should be able to drive at any age.

BIG_DADDY
01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I didn't read the way the poll was worded and voted no, when after reading it I should have voted yes. I'm for testing.

Apparently I'm getting to old too pay attention.

Right, retested yes. Everyone should have to pass a test every 10 years or so.

crazycoffey
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
some elderly ran through a school wall and hit an eight year old finishing his lunch.

linky; http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/E3CDCDB4DA463E9186257273001504D1?OpenDocument

celebration of the 100th day of school turned into a day of horror when a car crashed through Shiloh Elementary School, killing one student and injuring two others.

Ryan Wesling, 8, died on Monday of head and chest injuries in the emergency room of Memorial Hospital in Belleville. Two other students were treated at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Belleville and released.

School will be in session today. Grief counselors will be available for students, especially Ryan's classmates, said Superintendent Jennifer Filyaw.

Police did not release any details on the driver, an 84-year-old woman from Shiloh. Nor did they say what might have caused her to drive her blue Chevy Cavalier up East Julie Street and through the school building, tearing a hole about 6 feet wide in the wall and driving the entire width of the cafeteria.

crazycoffey
01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I voted yes by the way. I don't have a problem with old people driving, I have a problem when they keep driving and shouldn't be thus killing an innocent child.

Phobia
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Every 10 years? I can go for that right up until about age 65. Then make it annual testing. People can deteriorate quickly. My old man is approaching 60 and he already has driving brain-farts. I know I'm gonna have to take his keys one day and I'm not looking forward to it.

Bugeater
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
The question is moot because no politician will ever have the balls to introduce such legislation. It would be career suicide.

crazycoffey
01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
The question is moot because no politician will ever have the balls to introduce such legislation. It would be career suicide.

why, the offended party is likely to forget who passed it into law anyway

Bugeater
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I think seniors go the bank every day to make a withdrawl and then go back to the bank the next day to redeposit it, or it seems that I'm always behind them in line.
LMAO It's either that or the Post Office.

Lzen
01-30-2007, 01:11 PM

No kidding. The AARP is a powerful lobby. :shake:

Bugeater
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
why, the offended party is likely to forget who passed it into law anyway
Not when it comes to driving. My grandparents are both almost 90, they forget to take their meds, forget to bathe, forget to eat, etc etc, but they haven't forgotten that it was my uncle who took their cars away.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Probably not a bad idea.

crazycoffey
01-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Not when it comes to driving. My grandparents are both almost 90, they forget to take their meds, forget to bathe, forget to eat, etc etc, but they haven't forgotten that it was my uncle who took their cars away.

yeah, well, with 84 year olds running through school walls and killing little children, I don't have much sympathy.

milkman
01-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Older people should definitely have to take annual driving tests.

And when they get behind the wheel, if they can't see over the mother****er, yank their freakin' licence.

Smed1065
01-30-2007, 09:52 PM
yeah, well, with 84 year olds running through school walls and killing little children, I don't have much sympathy.

IIRC it was from a cul-de-sac as well, or that was the closest street to the cafeteria.

sedated
01-30-2007, 09:58 PM
f*ck old people.

and children

and minorities

BWillie
01-30-2007, 11:02 PM
It's a touchy issue. I really feel bad for old people. I mean, they went through life gave it their old and now they are just deteriorating. The most depressing places I've ever been are nursing homes and to old peoples homes. They just sit around all day and wait to die. I am SO SCARED to get old. I can't even imagine it, every day I go to work and waste 45 hours a week it makes me more sad as I grow older.

Whenever old people get to a wreck, those above 70. They do everything they can think of to try to prove that they are still co-herent enough to drive. Old people try to drive great, they usually go slow, attempt to drive cautiously,..they know their refelxes are shot. If teens had the same mentality as old people, they would have virtually no accidents. If old people had the same reflexes and reaction time as teens they would virtually get in no accidents. Something definitely needs to be done when an 84 year old is driving though. Every 2-3 years they need to take a driving test, and it needs to be EXTENSIVE.

Bugeater
01-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm not expecting anyone to be sympathetic to them, I'm just giving insight to their mentality. There's no way in hell they should be driving.

KCChiefsMan
01-31-2007, 03:37 AM
I think it would help if you could just punch somebody in the face if you witness bad driving.

J Diddy
01-31-2007, 03:38 AM
I think it would help if you could just punch somebody in the face if you witness bad driving.

I thought that was the law

Bowser
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Now that Skip is back, we can get a pro's take on this.