PDA

View Full Version : Grant writers...

el borracho
01-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Does anyone have any experience using grant writers, either as an individual or as a small business? I'm fairly sure I could use one but nearly clueless as to how to locate and select one. Craig's List is the only idea I can think of so far.

1. How would one go about finding grant writers?

2. What should one look for in a grant writer? What kind of interview questions should I have prepared? How will I recognize a good one from a bad one?

3. What are typical/ acceptable fees for grant writers? Do they receive a flat fee or a percentage or a combination?

Iowanian
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I think you could check with your local COG(council of govt), Small business association, see if there is an organization of retired execs, in Iowa, the group is called "score". Speak with your local economic development coordinator as well. They'll have contacts with Grant writers.

As for what to ask them, I'd ask them about their experience, what kind of funds they've aquired successfully for whom, and what they know about whatever your business is and how it relates to the funds you're trying to aquire.

Some grants aren't that difficult to do, while others are very time consuming and there are alot of "I"s to dot and Ts to cross.

Rain Man
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
It's considered highly unethical for grant writers to work on a percentage basis, for reasons I've never quite understood. They're more or less obligated to work on a fixed-price basis.

My company very occasionally does this type of work if you're in a pinch, but I'll admit that it's not our core skill. You're probably better off finding a local pro. If you've got a nonprofit association in New Mexico, and I'm sure you do, ask them for a list. They probably aren't allowed to recommend a single person or firm, but they can tell you who does it.