PDA

View Full Version : If you took the All-Time teams in NCAA basketball who would win?

CoMoChief
01-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Kansas
UNC
UCLA
Kentucky
Duke

I have to say UCLA would win, but what do you all think?

KU's squad is impressive all around. UNC is too, but they don't have a big man that could really dominate the other teams. Duke would be great too.

1. JoJo White
2. Kirk Hinrich
3. Paul Pierce
4. Danny Manning
5. Wilt Chamberlain

Ebolapox
01-30-2007, 08:01 PM
hmmm... I'm not a big college basketball fan, do a brotha a favor and put up 'likely' all-time teams for all of em'... do it up all rainman style

I'll help out a bit...

UNC:
guard: michael 'best of all time' jordan
guard:
forward: james 'goggles' worthy (phenomenal college player)
forward: rasheed wallace (eh, cause I can't think of anyone else)
center: can't think of a dominant UNC big man (hansborough may be there after his college career)

UCLA: can't think of anyone except the stellar centers they've had, lew alcinder (kareem of wheat) and bill walton

kentucky... yeah, don't know much of their history

duke... they've had some great COLLEGE players, but not many great NBA players--is that what we're basing it on?

redbrian
01-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Kansas
UNC
UCLA
Kentucky
Duke

KU's squad is impressive all around. UNC is too, but they don't have a big man that could really dominate the other teams. Duke would be great too.

1. JoJo White
2. Kirk Hinrich
3. Paul Pierce
4. Danny Manning
5. Wilt Chamberlain

UCLA running away without a doubt.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Kansas... but I am a total homer.

88TG88
01-30-2007, 08:05 PM
hmmm... I'm not a big college basketball fan, do a brotha a favor and put up 'likely' all-time teams for all of em'... do it up all rainman style

I'll help out a bit...

UNC:
guard: michael 'best of all time' jordan
guard:
forward: james 'goggles' worthy (phenomenal college player)
forward: rasheed wallace (eh, cause I can't think of anyone else)
center: can't think of a dominant UNC big man (hansborough may be there after his college career)

UCLA: can't think of anyone except the stellar centers they've had, lew alcinder (kareem of wheat) and bill walton

kentucky... yeah, don't know much of their history

duke... they've had some great COLLEGE players, but not many great NBA players--is that what we're basing it on?
vince carter at G

Ebolapox
01-30-2007, 08:07 PM
vince carter at G

sh*t, that's right--I'd forgotten about vince... fantastic high school player, good in college, but not GREAT... yeah, he'd go on an alltime team

Mosbonian
01-30-2007, 08:13 PM
If you are looking for a Center for the TarHeels you might start with Sam Perkins or Bob McAdoo....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
01-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Plus if you are looking for a 2nd great guard for UNC you can't look past Phil Ford...although he didn't do much in the NBA, he was one of the best point guards in Tarheel history...

mmaddog

NJ Chief Fan
01-30-2007, 08:26 PM
duke

1 bobby hurley
2 corey magette
3 grant hill
4 elton brand
5 christian laetner

unc

jordan
stackhouse
jamison
worthy
SHEED

this is all i could come up with in a minute

DJay23
01-30-2007, 08:29 PM
These are always interesting debates, but I don't think you can come to a definitive answer. You are including players from all eras in this which makes it very tough. If you go by the numbers, any all-time college team with Wilt Chamberlain on it should clean up. However, how would 1957 Wilt stack up to some of the more recent bigs to go through the big programs? Who are the coaches? Where would these mythical, epic games be played?

RockChalk
01-30-2007, 08:34 PM
What If Sports (http://www.whatifsports.com)

this may help you all out.

siberian khatru
01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
If you are looking for a Center for the TarHeels you might start with Sam Perkins or Bob McAdoo....

mmaddog

Mitch Kupchak, too.

Smed1065
01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Kansas
UNC
UCLA
Kentucky
Duke

1. JoJo White
2. Kirk Hinrich
3. Paul Pierce
4. Danny Manning
5. Wilt Chamberlain

Me because I took them all?

Trick question?

CHENZ A!
01-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Arizona-

PG- Damon Stoudamire or Mike Bibby
SG- Steve Kerr or Gilbert Arenas
SF- Sean Elliott or Richard Jefferson
PF- Chris Mills
C- Brian Williams(Bison Dele)

That's a mean ass squad right there.

donkhater
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Well, Indiana probably doesn't matchup well from an NBA standpoint, but I gotta stick up for my Hoosiers in this debate

I'll start with two of the best guards in NCAA history:

G Isiah Thomas
G Steve Alford

Then I'll put two National Players of the Year in the front court:

F Calbert Cheaney--national player of the year, 1993
F Scott May--national player of the year, 1976
F Jay Edwards (many of you aren't familiar with the name, but he could ball! Too bad he didn't stay in college.)

Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson and Randy Wittman are some glaring omissions, but as a college team goes, this is pretty good.

donkhater
01-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Even though I hate them, I'll give Kentucky a crack. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of good players, but off the top of my head:

G Ron Mercer
G Tony Delk
F Dan Issel
F Jamal Mashburn
C Sam Bowie

Rex Chapman, Kenny Walker and Tashaun Prince may deserve to be on this list too.

siberian khatru
01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Even though I hate them, I'll give Kentucky a crack. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of good players, but off the top of my head:

G Ron Mercer
G Tony Delk
F Dan Issel
F Jamal Mashburn
C Sam Bowie

Rex Chapman, Kenny Walker and Tashaun Prince may deserve to be on this list too.

Kyle Macy and Rick Robey.

Priest4Prez
01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Iowa state:
C-Homan
PF-Marcus fizer
SG-Jamal Tinsley
SG-Jeff Hornasac
And at point guard, the mayor of Iowa City, Freddie Hoiberg!

tk13
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sports2000/players/duke-team.html

There's a link to various all-time teams done by the sporting news a few years back. I don't know how I could pick anyone but UCLA. I wouldn't even know who to put on there... Reggie Miller, Gail Goodrich, Alcindor, Walton, Marques Johnson, Kiki Vandeweghe, Baron Davis, etc, etc.

siberian khatru
01-30-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sports2000/players/duke-team.html

There's a link to various all-time teams done by the sporting news a few years back. I don't know how I could pick anyone but UCLA. I wouldn't even know who to put on there... Reggie Miller, Gail Goodrich, Alcindor, Walton, Marques Johnson, Kiki Vandeweghe, Baron Davis, etc, etc.

You'd have to pit different UCLA all-star teams against each other.

Braincase
01-30-2007, 09:31 PM
In a world where the NCAA did equal investigation and enforcement, UCLA would have had a lifetime ban for ever participating in the NCAA tournament. That said, I would be inclined to take either a Duke all-time team or NC all-time team over a KU all-time team.... but the Jayhawks would give 'em a run for their money.

SCTrojan
01-30-2007, 09:35 PM
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but UCLA would win that contest hands down, IMO. Not only would they be coached by John Wooden, the best coach in the history of NCAA basketball, but their lineup would be:

PG - Walt Hazzard / Henry Bibby
SG - Reggie Miller / Gail Goodrich / Lucius Allen
SF - Kiki Vandeweghe / Keith Wilkes / Ed O'Bannon
PF - Marques Johnson / Sidney Wicks / David Greenwood
C - Bill Walton / Kareem

sedated
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Kareem > Walton

CoMoChief
01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Iowa state:
C-Homan
PF-Marcus fizer
SG-Jamal Tinsley
SG-Jeff Hornasac
And at point guard, the mayor of Iowa City, Freddie Hoiberg!

LOL the 2 best players were on the team that lost to Butler or something like that in the first round. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd ever 2-15 upset.

ISU sucks.

WilliamTheIrish
01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Plus if you are looking for a 2nd great guard for UNC you can't look past Phil Ford...although he didn't do much in the NBA, he was one of the best point guards in Tarheel history...

mmaddog

Actually Phil Ford was the glue of the Kansas City Kings. He led the Kings to 3 Midwest division titles and back to back 50 wins seasons. Playoffs 4 consecutive years. He broke guys down on the dribble with little problem.

Then he got his eye poked out.

RJ
01-30-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm no Duke fan but they'd be right there with any of them.

Guard - Johnny Dawkins, Jason Williams, Bobby Hurley

Forward - Grant Hill, Gene Banks, Danny Ferry

Center - Mike Gminski, Laettner

There are several ACC schools whose "All-Time" teams would be as good as any in the country.

dj56dt58
01-30-2007, 11:21 PM
UNC...Jordan would completely take over...him and Stackhouse? can't beat em

Mosbonian
01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm no Duke fan but they'd be right there with any of them.

Guard - Johnny Dawkins, Jason Williams, Bobby Hurley

Forward - Grant Hill, Gene Banks, Danny Ferry

Center - Mike Gminski, Laettner

There are several ACC schools whose "All-Time" teams would be as good as any in the country.

Spanarkel was a pretty good player for Duke also...

mmaddog

Logical
01-31-2007, 01:02 AM
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but UCLA would win that contest hands down, IMO. Not only would they be coached by John Wooden, the best coach in the history of NCAA basketball, but their lineup would be:

PG - Walt Hazzard / Henry Bibby
SG - Reggie Miller / Gail Goodrich / Lucius Allen
SF - Kiki Vandeweghe / Keith Wilkes / Ed O'Bannon
PF - Marques Johnson / Sidney Wicks / David Greenwood
C - Bill Walton / Kareem

The only weakness at all is at SF and you could put Walton there with Kareem manning the center spot.

Imon Yourside
01-31-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm not biased or anything but Wilt would dominate them all.

Dr. Van Halen
01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not biased or anything but Wilt would dominate them all.

Exactly. How would all-time UNC handle Wilt? They couldn't.

siberian khatru
01-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Exactly. How would all-time UNC handle Wilt? They couldn't.

Aside from the fact one UNC team already beat him in real life.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Wilt was a freakish player in his time, he was just bigger and faster than anyone else on the court, that is why he dominated.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 08:44 AM
I posted this in the other thread..but,

if you took all the players in the league right now and made an "All time Straight out of HS" team, they would wipe the floor with any team.

Kobe, LeBron, TMac, KG..just to name a few.

Dr. Van Halen
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Aside from the fact one UNC team already beat him in real life.

Touche! Although I suppose even Jordan lost a game or two in his day...

Kclee
01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
unc

jordan
stackhouse
jamison
worthy
SHEED

this is all i could come up with in a minute

Maybe Felton for Stackhouse. Need an assist guy in there.

donkhater
01-31-2007, 09:18 AM

if you took all the players in the league right now and made an "All time Straight out of HS" team, they would wipe the floor with any team.

Perhaps. Aside from Kobe, none of them have shown that they can lead a team to a title, or play as part of a team.

BTW, Amare Stoudemaire could be on that list as well.

Stewie
01-31-2007, 09:27 AM

Moses Malone was a pretty good player. Although he's not playing now. :)