PDA

View Full Version : MU vs K-State

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Tonight at 8:05 PM. Should be a regional broadcast on ESPN+, could be a national broadcast on ESPNU (or both)? Anyone want to shed light on this?

Anyways, Mike Anderson doesn't exactly have a stellar road record, and from what i've been reading from the local media, you'd think MU is coming off back to back wins over Top 10 teams. CU is terrible, and Texas Tech without 2 of its starters is still a good win, but not that impressive.

Interesting side-notes to this game...

* Stephon Hannah switched his commitment to MU after his mother would not sign a LOI for Stephon to go to Kansas State. His mother is quoted saying he wanted Stephon to play for a black coach.

* The all time series between these two teams is tied at 112. K-State is looking to sweep the Tigers for the 2nd time in 3 years.

* MU has lost 2 straight in Manhattan (79-64, 74-54)

* K-State is looking to win 5 straight conference games for the first time since the 89-90 season.

Limited tickets still available for those who can brave the light flurries. (Only general admission left)

kepp
01-31-2007, 08:22 AM
* Stephon Hannah switched his commitment to MU after his mother would not sign a LOI for Stephon to go to Kansas State. His mother is quoted saying he wanted Stephon to play for a black coach.
She chose wisely.
http://www.garnersclassics.com/pics/crusade/knight.jpg

ChiTown
01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
She chose wisely.
http://www.garnersclassics.com/pics/crusade/knight.jpg

Yes, if he's lucky, Momma's Boy might achieve 6-10 in Conf. play by his Sr. season.......

bobbything
01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
This is one of three times per year I'm a Keeeeyat fan. MU, @MU, & OU.

Purrrrrrr! Go Keeyats!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2007, 09:55 AM

I'm sure none of it had anything to do with St. Huggins' reputation.

ChiTown
01-31-2007, 09:57 AM

You mean his reputation for getting his players to the NBA?

:)

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
You mean his reputation for getting his players to the NBA?

:)

NBA, punching police horses, binding and torturing your fellow teammates, it's all the same :drool:

KevB
01-31-2007, 10:05 AM

He specifically said that he committed to Huggins and KSU, but switched because his mom thought it would be better for him to play for an African American coach. You can twist it and read into it whatever you want, but that was the explanation given by the player when asked why he switched.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 10:09 AM
MORE CRIMINALS = MORE WINS

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/KingslyZissou/COLON2.gif

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/images/stories/29Mayo.jpg
DAMN!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/KingslyZissou/bennett.gif

DMAC
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Maybe she just said play for the african american coach. Mabye she just didn't know his name.

Kinda like saying, "Stephon, I think I want you to play for the black fella...what's his name again?"

Yeah...that sounds more reasonable.

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 10:29 AM
You all know, If Mama Aint' Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy....

HonestChieffan
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
be close but MU will tank in the end

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Perhaps she wanted her son to experience rigorous academics.

ChiTown
01-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Perhaps she wanted her son to experience rigorous academics.

Now THAT's funny.

ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
US News Rankings of National Universities:
MU/KU tied at 88.
K-State: 124 (last).

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
MU/KU tied at 88.
:rolleyes:

So those particular rankings are the end all, be all?

Where is the dump at Cedar Falls located on that list?

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:09 AM
BTW: Academic smack is for those who've got nuthin. I'm sure people will care that MU is a great journalism school when they continue to suck in basketball.

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
:rolleyes:

So those particular rankings are the end all, be all?

Where is the dump at Cedar Falls located on that list?UNI is not a doctoral granting institution. In terms of Master's level (of which there are many, many more), we are ranked 2nd in terms of public institutions and 18th overall in the midwest.

I don't think the rankings are the "end all, be all," but they are a somewhat legitimate ranking.

Why the hostility towards UNI? Have you been here?

Eleazar
01-31-2007, 11:16 AM
MU/KU tied at 88.

K-State has gone to shit since Wooldridge left.

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
BTW: Academic smack is for those who've got nuthin. I'm sure people will care that MU is a great journalism school when they continue to suck in basketball.Wow. I don't think I've encountered that perspective previously. I would guess that most people who attend Universities (including many players of various sports) care a whole lot about their quality of education.

MU may continue to stink in basketball, but their diplomas will continue to be valued.

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
K-State has gone to shit since Wooldridge left.
ROFL

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
:mizzou: M I Z :mizzou: Z O U :mizzou:

we'll take Kanas suck...er, uh I mean state.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow. I don't think I've encountered that perspective previously. I would guess that most people who attend Universities (including many players of various sports) care a whole lot about their quality of education.

MU may continue to stink in basketball, but their diplomas will continue to be valued.
Baylor has the "We suck at everything but our diplomas are worth the most!" spot taken in the Big XII. You will have to contact one of the Baptist Aggies to talk academic smack.

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Baylor has the "We suck at everything but our diplomas are worth the most!" spot taken in the Big XII. You will have to contact one of the Baptist Aggies to talk academic smack.How would you describe KSU's "spot?"

Eleazar
01-31-2007, 11:27 AM
How would you describe KSU's "spot?"

Da U, but, without the hardware?

WilliamTheIrish
01-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Prattle on, Pittgo. I've always wondered how it felt to tied for 88th. Since both Kansas universities have the same admission standards, I wonder how those rankings are done.

I can only wonder how it feels to be tied for 88th. Must be like being in the 3 way tie for 10th in Big 12 basketball.

WilliamTheIrish
How would you describe KSU's "spot?"

4-2 and 1.5 games out of 1st.

crazycoffey
Prattle on, Pittgo. I've always wondered how it felt to tied for 88th. Since both Kansas universities have the same admission standards, I wonder how those rankings are done.

I can only wonder how it feels to be tied for 88th. Must be like being in the 3 way tie for 10th in Big 12 basketball.

he said three way.

WilliamTheIrish
01-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Wow. I don't think I've encountered that perspective previously. I would guess that most people who attend Universities (including many players of various sports) care a whole lot about their quality of education.

I'm sure Rickey Clemons agrees. Maybe you can ask him how he got 21 credit hours over 7 weeks to become eligible. You can find his last known address by googling :"Boone County Detention".

Eleazar
01-31-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sure Rickey Clemons agrees. Maybe you can ask him how he got 21 credit hours over 7 weeks to become eligible. You can find his last known address by googling :"Boone County Detention".

ROFL

GAWD I hate Snyder.

eazyb81
01-31-2007, 11:58 AM
He specifically said that he committed to Huggins and KSU, but switched because his mom thought it would be better for him to play for an African American coach. You can twist it and read into it whatever you want, but that was the explanation given by the player when asked why he switched.

Really? He SPECIFICALLY said that his mom wanted him to play for a black coach? Or was that implied by bitter KSU fans?

I've seen the quote, and he doesn't mention anything about skin color. Please repost if you'd like to disagree.

leviw
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Hannah planned on K-State till mom directed him to MU
Tigers star is the point guard the Wildcats could really use in their backcourt.
By HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star
MANHATTAN, Kan. | The memory of point guard Stefhon Hannah playing pickup games in April at Bramlage Coliseum remains fixed in Kansas State junior Clent Stewart’s mind, partly because he thought Hannah would challenge him for minutes.

“He was very quick, a good defender. He could play,” Stewart recalled. “He definitely would have pushed the other guards. He definitely could have helped us.”

That’s why today could be so painful for K-State.

The Wildcats thought they had Hannah signed. But obviously not sealed and delivered. Instead of wearing purple, Hannah will be decked out in Missouri black and gold when the Tigers face K-State at 3 p.m. today at Mizzou Arena.

On a recent visit to K-State, ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla said one of the Wildcats’ key weaknesses is lack of a true point guard. Earlier this week, K-State coach Bob Huggins was asked about his team’s performance at the point.

“What point-guard play?” Huggins said.

Precisely.

The Wildcats have gone through three of them — Stewart, Blake Young and Jermaine Maybank. If Hannah had gone a different direction, K-State might not be in this bind.

Huggins praised Stewart, who actually was his No. 3 point guard when camp started because of offseason knee surgery.

“Stew’s been good. Stew’s really tried,” Huggins said.

But if he had his way, Huggins probably would be starting Hannah, who has often starred this season for the Tigers. Hannah leads MU at 16 points per game, averages 4.8 assists and 3.6 steals, and sinks 41.9 percent of his shots from beyond the arc.

In fact, Stewart was almost convinced when Hannah left town in the spring that he would come back soon and stay awhile.

“I thought he liked the guys,” Stewart said. “He said he liked it. It seemed like he fit in.”

Even Hannah’s junior-college coach, Greg Heiar of Chipola College in Marianna, Fla., thought Hannah was destined to be a Wildcat.

“Stef waited for them (K-State),” Heiar said by phone this week. “K-State already had gotten Blake Young, but Stef kind of wanted to play with him. And I think Stef liked the challenge of helping turn a program around. He wanted to be part of it.”

For a while, at least. Hannah in fact did sign a letter of intent with K-State. But when he asked his mother, Stephanie, to co-sign and make it official, she balked. She wanted him to go to MU.

Mom won out.

“If you go to Missouri, you won’t come out just a great basketball player — you’ll come out a man,” Hannah told The Star after he and Stephanie signed in May with the Tigers.

Heiar said: “His mom had a lot of influence. But it’s not like she said, ‘You have to go to Missouri.’ He made his own decision.”

This week, Hannah said he hasn’t given his flirtation with the Wildcats much thought.

“I’m just focusing on Missouri,” Hannah said. “K-State? Since I decided not to go there, I’ve never thought about it.”

The fact K-State desperately could’ve used Hannah isn’t any concern for Tigers coach Mike Anderson.

“I don’t know what they have,” Anderson said of the Wildcats. “I’m just interested in what we have. Stef decided to be a Tiger, and that’s what he is.”

Huggins’ take on Hannah: “He’s been terrific. He leads their defense and he makes big, big shots.”

Asked how Hannah might have contributed if he had picked K-State, Huggins said, “I don’t know how he would have played here.”

Hannah, meanwhile, says he’s not out to show K-State what it’s missing.

“Nah. Nothing like that,” Hannah said. “Not at all. I don’t look at games for me. I’m there for my team. We want to win. It’s not about me.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Really? He SPECIFICALLY said that his mom wanted him to play for a black coach? Or was that implied by bitter KSU fans?

I've seen the quote, and he doesn't mention anything about skin color. Please repost if you'd like to disagree.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15916447.htm

“She said I’d be playing for a tough coach, an African-American who wants the best out of you,” Hannah said. “It was a wake-up call to me.”

DMAC
01-31-2007, 12:43 PM

“She said I’d be playing for a tough coach, an African-American who wants the best out of you,” Hannah said. “It was a wake-up call to me.”So what, they like their people.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 12:43 PM
ROFL

GAWD I hate Snyder.

I didnt, I miss him and wooly both...

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
So what, they like their people.

I am offended by the whole article and comment. But since I am white, I cant say anything or it would be racism...

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
So what, they like their people.
It's ok. We are bitter for him choosing MU over us, no matter what the reason. Had he chosen Mike Anderson because he liked his haircut better, we would have been just as bitter. The salt in the wound is he is turning out to be a pretty good player. Too bad he won't get the experience for playing for Bob Huggins, and dishing out assists to Bill Walker and Mike Beasley.

Yes, we are gonna let him have it tonight.

Eleazar
01-31-2007, 12:46 PM
For a while, at least. Hannah in fact did sign a letter of intent with K-State. But when he asked his mother, Stephanie, to co-sign and make it official, she balked. She wanted him to go to MU.

Mom won out.

“If you go to Missouri, you won’t come out just a great basketball player — you’ll come out a man,” Hannah told The Star after he and Stephanie signed in May with the Tigers.

Heiar said: “His mom had a lot of influence. But it’s not like she said, ‘You have to go to Missouri.’ He made his own decision.”

It doesn't sound in that article like his mom wanted him to go to Mizzou so much as she didn't want her son to play for Huggins.

I can see that angle. If the guy has a rep for recruiting thugs and you don't want your kids associating with those people more closely than anyone for the next 4 years, if he has a rep for his players not graduating and you want your child to come out of school with a degree and maturity... I can definitely see it from a parents' perspective. :shrug:

Sounds like his mom sees it that way, with the "you'll come out a man" comment.

Eleazar
01-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Another thing, on the black coach topic, I personally am pretty glad that we got one. If you think about it, there are probably a lot of black prospective recruits who would consider a black coach to be a plus. There probably aren't any black prospective recruits who sit at home and think, man, I gotta find someplace where I can be coached by an old white guy.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I am offended by the whole article and comment. But since I am white, I cant say anything or it would be racism...
No, you can't say anything because you are retarded. Please refrain from further posting.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Another thing, on the black coach topic, I personally am pretty glad that we got one. If you think about it, there are probably a lot of black prospective recruits who would consider a black coach to be a plus. There probably aren't any black prospective recruits who sit at home and think, man, I gotta find someplace where I can be coached by an old white guy.
I bet it honestly does not cross their minds. It is all about who can connect with the "youngsters".

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
No, you can't say anything because you are retarded. Please refrain from further posting.

You sure about that? Do you actually know me to make that kind of comment?

What if one of my kids was disabled by a disease and they are what you call "retarded?"

Your such a KU homer....

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
You sure about that? Do you actually know me to make that kind of comment?

What if one of my kids was disabled by a disease and they are what you call "retarded?"

Your such a KU homer....
I'd laugh at the irony.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd laugh at the irony.

I wouldnt wish that on any child, let alone one of my own or even your kids. Human compassion takes over at some point.....

No child should have to suffer with retardation so you can feel good about your self on a message board...

I have tried to like you, but your weak and shallow... Sucks, because I enjoyed the friendly bashing about college basketball...

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Let me shed a single tear, because you don't like me.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Let me shed a single tear, because you don't like me.

ROFL

leviw
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Well this thread escalated quickly.

For what it's worth, reerun, I like Saul. Maybe you should reconsider.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Well this thread escalated quickly.

For what it's worth, reerun, I like Saul. Maybe you should reconsider.

You think?

ChiTown
01-31-2007, 02:04 PM

“She said I’d be playing for a tough coach, an African-American who wants the best out of you,” Hannah said. “It was a wake-up call to me.”

Yes, because Whitey is just trying to keep the man down.

Later, boys.

I'm off to Manhappiness to go see my Cat's kick the crap out of Stephanie Hanna and her Mizzou Sisters. :)

DMAC
01-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Anyyyywayyy...............MIZ.

eazyb81
01-31-2007, 02:45 PM

Huh? He's simply saying he will be playing for a tough African-American coach, not that his mom only wants him to play for a coach that's African-American.

Again, sour grapes. Oh well, I am thrilled that he made the right decision.

Jordan
01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
MIZZOU-RAH!!!!

We're gonna lay a beatin' on tha Pu$$ycats tonight.

Y'all just hired Huggins so you could be more like MU....but everyone knows we got the best thugs!

You know how I know cats fans are gay......

....it's in the purple!

DMAC
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
I sat in the student section 3 or so years ago with my black and gold on...that was fun...especially when it was over.

Do they still do the "left...right...left" when a player fouls out? And the newspaper thing?

eazyb81
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
I sat in the student section 3 or so years ago with my black and gold on...that was fun...especially when it was over.

Do they still do the "left...right...left" when a player fouls out? And the newspaper thing?

Same here, I was at the game where Paulding crotched Frank Richard by dunking over him.

beer bacon
01-31-2007, 03:39 PM
One thing I can say about the Tigers is that they are playing a lot tougher now then they ever did under Quinn. They can win tonight, but they have to keep attacking like the boards like they have been recently. If they get out rebounded by 30 or whatever it was against K-State in Columbia, it will be a slaughter.

DMAC
01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Same here, I was at the game where Paulding crotched Frank Richard by dunking over him.Was that the same one that while A.J. was getting booed he looked over and gave that girly wave and eyelid flutter...which was caught on camera?

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Good luck Tigers.

duncan_idaho
01-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I went to the K-State-Mizzou game in Columbia, and it might have been the weirdest game I've ever witnessed.

At one point, one of the refs STOPPED PLAY to run over and yell at a Missouri assistant. I've never seen that happen without a technical foul... odd.

K-State refused to miss free throws. 88 percent? Are you kidding?

Hannah and Brown both sat for long periods because of foul trouble. Brown's second foul in the first half was a phantom. Hannah never got in a rhythm and was largely a nonfactor.

Cartier Martin didn't have much impact, which was odd. I'm used to him abusing Mizzou.

These teams are very evenly matched - if Missouri hits the glass, it should go down to the wire. I'm looking forward to it...

WilliamTheIrish
01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Enjoy lads, I'm hitting the road. Should be a fun game.

CoMoChief
01-31-2007, 06:03 PM
4-2 and 1.5 games out of 1st.

that will change real quick.

Priest4Prez
01-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Go Cyclones! When is their next game?

CoMoChief
01-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Go Cyclones! When is their next game?

Who gives a shit. arent you the one who thought the All ISU team could compete with KU UNC Duke KY UCLA, etc?

eazyb81
01-31-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFgPqmUDig&mode=related&search=

Priest4Prez
01-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Who gives a shit. arent you the one who thought the All ISU team could compete with KU UNC Duke KY UCLA, etc?
Yeah, look at who they have had in recent years

duncan_idaho
01-31-2007, 06:35 PM

TEA - BAG!!!

I love that video. Of course, it just reminds me of how much that fing team underchieved.

Quin, wherever you are: F you.

CoMoChief
01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah, look at who they have had in recent years

Like who Vroman?!?!?

No offense man but Tinsley and Fizer (I dont know how to spell his name) wouldnt rank on KU's top 20.

Priest4Prez
01-31-2007, 07:06 PM
The Mayor of Iowa City was no shlub

duncan_idaho
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
The Mayor of Iowa City was no shlub

Please. Fred Hoiberg was a fantastic shooter. That's it.

Do you even realize what lineup kU could put on the floor vs. ISU?

Hoiberg would be guarding Paul Pierce or Danny Manning. He would get abused on both ends of the floor. Routinely.

Marcus Fizer and Tinsley were very good players, but they just can't cut it when you start mentioning names like Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Lovellette (sp?), Danny Manning, Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz, Jo Jo White, Jacque Vaughn, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich and Drew Gooden.

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 07:54 PM
K-State wins this one by 15.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
KSU is thrashing MU!

Maybe Huggy will keep it PG on the sidelines tonight?

There hasnt been a Benneck sighting yet....

banyon
01-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Mizzou making a comeback. Anderson's team has 3 times the heart Quinn's losers did. As a Jayhawk fan that makes me a sad Panda.

duncan_idaho
01-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Missouri's a little bit different team when it rebounds and its two best players aren't in foul trouble, huh Huggins?

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Mizzou making a comeback. Anderson's team has 3 times the heart Quinn's losers did. As a Jayhawk fan that makes me a sad Panda.
ROFL

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 09:31 PM
wacky night of ball...Missouri State made a crazy run to send it to OT and win at Drake tonight.

PastorMikH
01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Had I not been cheap and got the sports package with the new DTV I'd be watching this game instead of getting internet updates.

:banghead:

Reaper16
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
wacky night of ball...Missouri State made a crazy run to send it to OT and win at Drake tonight.
They needed OT to beat Drake? What a slide the Bears are on.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Had I not been cheap and got the sports package with the new DTV I'd be watching this game instead of getting internet updates.

:banghead:

Cheap skate... Full Court is the only way to go. Oh and the sports tier as well. Have to have ESPNU....

It is a good game, but not very good basketball being played.

So that kind of contradicts itself doesnt it...

Just be thankful you dont have to watch this....

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
They needed OT to beat Drake? What a slide the Bears are on.
Yup, off night...they have won a few games here lately and have alot of basketball ahead of them.

When you can play shitting and beat an MVC team on the road its a good night.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Btw Mizzou is getting Jobbed on the calls right now...

KSU getting away with hack a shak and MU getting ticky tack bs calls.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
what's the score? My wife has my balls stored in a dresser with my man card, she's not letting me check the score.

Reaper16
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
When you can play shitting and beat an MVC team on the road its a good night.
This is true.

banyon
01-31-2007, 09:41 PM
It is 55-52 MU on top. 9:15 left in the 2nd.

KSU looks like they are imploding to me, but KU looked like that when we played them too and somehow we came out on top.

wutamess
01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I bet it honestly does not cross their minds. It is all about who can connect with the "youngsters".

You lie.
If I was a black player BEING recruited, I'd have more trust in a black coaches decisions for my career because I'd think we'd relate on some sort of level.

It's weird. Not racist but weird.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 09:43 PM
It is 55-52 MU on top. 9:15 left in the 2nd.

KSU looks like they are imploding to me, but KU looked like that when we played them too and somehow we came out on top.

cool thanks

Reaper16
01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
You lie.
If I was a black player BEING recruited, I'd have more trust in a black coaches decisions for my career because I'd think we'd relate on some sort of level.

It's weird. Not racist but weird.
Hiya, LJ.

wutamess
01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Hiya, LJ.

Sorry for being biased but it's the truth.

As I'm sure if it was a white Russian hockey player being recruited he'd be more inclined to choose the Russian hockey coach as opposed to a white American coach.

Reerun_KC
01-31-2007, 09:47 PM
cool thanks

Hey CC MU 58 KSU 57

Hightower and his whistle are taking over the game....

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey CC MU 58 KSU 57

Hightower and his whistle are taking over the game....

staying close

Spott
01-31-2007, 09:55 PM
KSU on 11-0 run. 65-58 KSU. Mizzou missing everything, including free throws. Same old MU athletics.

Dartgod
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Officiating is horrible

Dartgod
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
rebounding cost us again. KSU had waaaaay too many 2nd chances.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
it's not even on here in st louis

it was the texas game, then LSU, they just went the the third game, for a second extended coverage, and it was another big east game.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
KSU on 11-0 run. 65-58 KSU. Mizzou missing everything, including free throws. Same old MU athletics.

that's what I get for getting interested, dammit I off to the 10pm thread.

PastorMikH
01-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, it looks like MU is going down again to the Cats. Congrats guys. Huggy's made you all a team!

duncan_idaho
01-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Congrats to the Cat fans.

Enjoy that winning streak while it lasts...

KevB
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
That's a damn good win for the Cats. MU shot the ball better than they could have dreamed, but KSU was still able to prevail. I thought MU looked pretty good, they've really gotten better over the course of the season. I think with MU, it's all about having roles defined. Rebounds were the big story again this game. Hoskins is a beast....he's turning into an all Big 12 type player.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Highlights of MU last win in Columbia. Impressive. Wasn't that the preseason Top 10 team that lost in the first round of the NIT?

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Officiating is horrible
Naw. Officiating was horrible the first game when they combined for over 50 fouls. IMO, they let them play this game.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Anyways, I just got home. I thought MU played a hell of a game and shot the ball well, but let it get away from them in the 2nd half. KSU played pretty good offense, but did not play like they usually do on defense. I can't remember the last time we've let a team score on so many consecutive possesions.

KcMizzou
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Anyways, I just got home. I thought MU played a hell of a game and shot the ball well, but let it get away from them in the 2nd half. KSU played pretty good offense, but did not play like they usually do on defense. I can't remember the last time we've let a team score on so many consecutive possesions.Grats on the win, Saul. I thought we had a chance there for a while... tough loss.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Btw Mizzou is getting Jobbed on the calls right now...

KSU getting away with hack a shak and MU getting ticky tack bs calls.
Hey, they brought their A++++ game. We had to get back in to it some how.

ChiTown
02-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Officiating is horrible

Uh, yeah. It was horrible both ways.

I was sitting court side, and I promise you, MU got as many if not more calls than the home team. It was awful.

No problem, I'll take the win. Fun game, and it was loud as **** in Bramlage tonight. Hanna was awesome - great player.

POND_OF_RED
02-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Jesus did MU ever pis down their leg that game or what?

Too many 2nd chances for KSU.

BWillie
02-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Jesus did MU ever pis down their leg that game or what?

Too many 2nd chances for KSU.

I hate both of these teams, but I wanted KSU to win just because they have a better shot at making the tourney. The more Big 12 teams in the tourney, the better out conference looks. Right now it's looking like:

(2) Kansas
(2) Texas AM
(3) Oklahoma State
(5) Texas
(10) Texas Tech
(12) Kansas State
--------------
Missouri, Nebraska, whatever. NIT

ExtremeChief
02-01-2007, 04:14 AM
It was an exciting game to watch even though I wasn't happy with the final outcome. K-State just killed on the boards, especially on the offensive side. Mizzou, again, can't make free throws, but they are young, have a new coach, and are showing signs of improvement. Man I'm glad Quin is gone.

Dartgod
02-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Uh, yeah. It was horrible both ways.

I was sitting court side, and I promise you, MU got as many if not more calls than the home team. It was awful.

No problem, I'll take the win. Fun game, and it was loud as **** in Bramlage tonight. Hanna was awesome - great player.
Right. That's why I didn't say Missouri got hosed by the refs. It was bad both ways.

Missouri was outrebounded 41-17 and 41-19 in the two games. That was the only reason for the loss. Until we get a big man inside and these guys start learning how to rebound, we can expect more of the same.

The good news is Anderson has his guys playing with heart and the future looks promising.

eazyb81
02-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Damn, that was a tough loss, but it was a good game all-around. KSU is playing great right now and it looks like Huggy has them on right track. I also like what Anderson is doing, but I just don't think we have the talent to work his system right now.

Also, the rebounding issue is ridiculous - we were absolutely dominated on the boards in both KSU games, not really sure what the deal is.

Bramlage was rockin' last night, probably the best atmosphere i've seen there outside of KU games.

eazyb81
02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Missouri was outrebounded 41-17 and 41-19 in the two games. That was the only reason for the loss. Until we get a big man inside and these guys start learning how to rebound, we can expect more of the same.

Grimes and Lyons aren't exactly small guys; plus, outside of Bennett, who played sparingly, who are the big guys that KSU has?

Even if we had Greg Oden, he wouldn't make up a 24 rebound differential - the whole team is slacking on the boards.

kepp
02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Congrats to the wildcats. You rebounded and shot your freethrows...did the fundamental things great. Until we learn to rebound we're a .500'ish team.

ChiTown
02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Damn, that was a tough loss, but it was a good game all-around. KSU is playing great right now and it looks like Huggy has them on right track. I also like what Anderson is doing, but I just don't think we have the talent to work his system right now.

Also, the rebounding issue is ridiculous - we were absolutely dominated on the boards in both KSU games, not really sure what the deal is.

Bramlage was rockin' last night, probably the best atmosphere i've seen there outside of KU games.

Were you at the game, easyb? I met a few MU fans at the game. There weren't many, but the ones that were there were loud. It was a very fun environment last night - best it has been in a while. Kudos to the fans who braved the weather and showed up.

HonestChieffan
02-01-2007, 08:33 AM
As expected, the boys at MU can't hang with Huggies boys. Maybe they can beat Nebraska but dont bet on it.

eazyb81
02-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Were you at the game, easyb? I met a few MU fans at the game. There weren't many, but the ones that were there were loud. It was a very fun environment last night - best it has been in a while. Kudos to the fans who braved the weather and showed up.

No, I guess I should have said it seemed like a great atmosphere on tv. The crowd was loud the entire game - at one point the announcers said it sounded like we were down to the last minute, but there were still 12 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Saulbadguy
02-01-2007, 08:44 AM
It was the loudest i've heard Bramlage..well, ever. The students use "chant sheets", which is kinda lame, but if the chants stick, it will be great.

http://www.showmenews.com/2007/Jan/0131slideBASKETBALL/20.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
02-01-2007, 10:38 AM
that will change real quick.

You're correct.

Just like that KSU is 5-2 and 1 game out of first.

WilliamTheIrish
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Cheap skate... Full Court is the only way to go. Oh and the sports tier as well. Have to have ESPNU....

It is a good game, but not very good basketball being played.

So that kind of contradicts itself doesnt it...

Just be thankful you dont have to watch this....

Jesus reerun, you are infected by phlognet stupidity. Both teams shot near 50% for the game, every possession from the 12 minute mark to the last minute was like a tourney game. The crowd was loud. Hannah was unconcious. Each team made run after run.

But it was 'not very good basketball' according to you?

leviw
02-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Bramlage was fantastic last night.

My ears are still bothering this morning.

I'm not sure if there was any one moment that was "as loud as I've ever heard it", but it was consisently loud. Credit the students. The cheat sheets are lame, but they have to do something. Everything will catch on sooner than later.

The "Mama's Boy" chant got annoying quick. They needed to have more than one chant for Hannah.

I'm scared to think of how loud the KU game/Big Monday/Blackout the Bram game is going to be.

leviw
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Jesus reerun, you are infected by phlognet stupidity. Both teams shot near 50% for the game, every possession from the 12 minute mark to the last minute was like a tourney game. The crowd was loud. Hannah was unconcious. Each team made run after run.

It was a well played game on both ends. Mizzou, namely Hannah, made some tremendous key shots. K-State was just better down the stretch. Pretty simple.

You could feel the importance.

WilliamTheIrish
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Bramlage was fantastic last night.

My ears are still bothering this morning.

Mine too. Came home and watched the dvr replay and woke up the whole house because I had the volume up so high. When I finally went to bed, I could then hear the ringing in my ears.

Damn, that was just so much fun. The majority of the crowd was on their feet from the 12 minute mark to the buzzer.

ChiTown
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Mine too. Came home and watched the dvr replay and woke up the whole house because I had the volume up so high. When I finally went to bed, I could then hear the ringing in my ears.

Damn, that was just so much fun. The majority of the crowd was on their feet from the 12 minute mark to the buzzer.

I had to cancel a conf call I had at 10am this morning. I have no voice available - NONE. :)

That was a great college game atmosphere.

Reerun_KC
02-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Sorry dude, I switched to the TX and TT game around half time then came back and watched the last couple of minutes of the game, so I missed your 12 minute mark on part of the game... Nice to see Allen West Rocking last night.. Barney, I mean Huggy, has your boys playing some great BBall...

For me it was one of those games where I could careless who won, so it made it really hard to watch, plus writing a paper on ethics and values as well...

Phog.net supidity? I dont know if I would call it that, I cant stomach much of what whining that continously goes on there... 90% of those guys dont recall much before the back to back final 4 trips recently or anything earlier about KU basketball....

So I limit my time to the Ape Room and ChiefsPlanet. Thanks for being concerned though.

ChiTown
02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
What a fkn homer. Gabe is such a whiney little twat. :deevee:

Momma’s boy? Try momma’s man
Stefhon Hannah ties his Missouri career high with 27 points.
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star
Hannah

MANHATTAN, Kan. | Momma’s boy played like a man. Even, and especially, in defeat.

Above and beyond the mere statistics. Stefhon Hannah tied his Missouri career high with 27 points in an 80-73 loss at Kansas State. He tossed up eight three-point shots from all around Bramlage Coliseum and hit six of them. Hannah’s four other baskets on a 16-shot night were of the hanging, twisting, soaring and flooring variety in among the arms and legs that inhabit the paint.

Hannah took every taunt Kansas State’s fans could think — they waved baby bibs at him, and a Huggies diaper, and signs and screamed “Momma’s Boy” over and over and over again. All for Hannah having the audacity of picking the Tigers over the Wildcats when Hannah transferred from Chipola Community College in Florida.

For listening to his momma, Stefanie, telling him to think before he left junior college in Florida. Think about playing basketball for a coach and at a school that would advance not only his basketball career, but his maturity.

“I want you to come home a man,” she told him.

“She left it up to me,” Hannah said, proud of his mother and himself even in a defeat that dropped Missouri to 13-7 overall and 2-5 in the Big 12.

“I love my momma so much. She talked to me.

“She told me, ‘You’ve got to sit down and think. When you came off the Missouri visit you were very happy. And when you came off of the K-State visit you were happy. Don’t just leave one school out.’ ”

Actually, Hannah had already been impossibly inclusive, telling both K-State coach Bob Huggins and Missouri coach Mike Anderson that he was coming.

“I thought about it for a long time,” Hannah said on Wednesday night. “I talked to a lot of people who said, ‘Mike Anderson might be better for you.’

“When I talked to him, he said he was going to come in and do what he had to do. If I can come in and do what I’ve got to do, I’m going to play.”

Hannah played like never before in his Missouri career on Wednesday night. And frankly, by the end, most in the sellout crowd at Bramlage Coliseum had quit calling him “Momma’s Boy!” and asking “Where’s Momma?”

Hannah put his team on his shoulders. And he didn’t get quite enough help in the end, despite Missouri leading 58-52 in the second half.

“He needed quite a bit of help,” said Anderson. “And he needed help from the blue collar standpoint. We scored enough points. You’ve got to get stops. And rebounds.”

After rebounding within six of K-State in the first half, Missouri was dominated on the boards in the second half. In the first game in Columbia, K-State out-rebounded Missouri 41-17. On Wednesday night the Wildcats ruled 41-19.

Marshall Brown, who got only two rebounds for Missouri on the way to 16 points, decried that point, and the fact that Hannah had so often to be the man at crunch time.

But Hannah was up to it. From the start.

“That’s what college basketball is all about,” Hannah allowed.

“Point fingers and find dirt on other players and let them know it during the game.”

It wasn’t that that built a fire in Hannah’s belly.

“No man,” he said.

“I just wanted to come out here and get a win.”

He felt he could have done more, a lot more.

“Helped on the boards; we got killed on the boards,” Hannah said. “Help motivate my team. Been more vocal with my teammates.”

The 5-11 Hannah took the long arm of Kansas State’s 7-foot-3 Jason Bennett across his neck under the basket at one point (referee Brad Ferrie called no foul) and kept right on driving into the land of the giants all night long.

“We stayed poised, kept our composure, and tried to get back in the game,” Hannah said. “And we did.

“But man, I wanted to come out of here with a win. You know?”