PDA

View Full Version : Punxsutawney Phil doesn’t see his shadow

Rooster
02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pennsylvania's famous groundhog predicts an early spring ahead

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - A new pair of hands pulled Punxsutawney Phil from his stump this year, so it was only fitting that the groundhog offered a new prediction.

Phil did not see his shadow on Friday which, according to German folklore, means folks can expect an early spring instead of six more weeks of winter.

Since 1886, Phil has seen his shadow 96 times, hasn’t seen it 14 times and there are no records for nine years, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. The last time Phil failed to see his shadow was in 1999.

More than 15,000 revelers milled about in a misty snow waiting for the prediction, as fireworks exploded overhead and the “Pennsylvania Polka” and other music blared in the background.

Longtime handler Bill Deeley retired after more than a dozen years and was replaced Friday by Punxsutawney Groundhog Club Inner Circle members John Griffiths and Ben Hughes.

Each Feb. 2, thousands of people descend on Punxsutawney, a town of about 6,100 people about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, to celebrate what had essentially been a German superstition.

The Germans believed that if a hibernating animal cast a shadow on Feb. 2 — the Christian holiday of Candlemas — winter would last another six weeks. If no shadow was seen, legend said spring would come early.

MichaelH
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Our secretary actually believes what the woodchuck says. :)

ndbbm
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
It's a big to-do here in PA. Good times. I might add, one hell of a drunken bash too. :) Gotta love Phil.

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 10:50 AM
AWESOME

TORNADOS ON THE HORIZON!!!

Armageddon is almost here

kepp
02-02-2007, 10:52 AM
That's amazing considering the size of his head.

Oh, wait...I didn't see "Punxsutawney"...nm

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Bush doesnt like groundhogs!

Smed1065
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
He probably cheated and saw the scientific report that global warming could not be stopped...

Rooster
02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
He probably cheated and saw the scientific report that global warming could not be stopped...

Oh that cheatin rodent!!! :)

cadmonkey
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice, that means spring starts on March 20th...........like f*cking always!

Wile_E_Coyote
02-02-2007, 11:26 AM
How many days in a row are you going to post this same thread?

edit: :shrug: I can't find them in the archives

StcChief
02-02-2007, 12:06 PM
With an El Nino winter no surprise to early spring and

a Hot summer with more insects than normal. :)

boogblaster
02-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Earlier the better..Im ready to go fishing....

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 12:46 PM

I have a bet with a buddy of mine that I'll be fishing by 2/17/07...and have caught at least a six pounder.

seclark
02-02-2007, 02:20 PM
hope it warms up before next weekend...i'm participating in a polar bear plunge.
sec

CosmicPal
02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
It's actually bad news.

'cause if it keeps up, and the scientists are right about global warming, there will be more groundhogs left to play the role of Punxsutawney Phil.

:D

htismaqe
02-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Just went fishing two days ago. What's you're problem?

Rooster
02-02-2007, 02:38 PM
hope it warms up before next weekend...i'm participating in a polar bear plunge.
sec

Have you done that before?

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Just went fishing two days ago. What's you're problem?

YOur mom is like deep sea fishing...her tuna can be caught many different ways, after a few times your hands will smell like squid and shrimp but once you get past the odor her pinkness will entice all species, and with luck you'll find her little man in the boat before you add another chapter to the Old Man and the Sea.

Kerberos
02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
AWESOME

TORNADOS ON THE HORIZON!!!

Armageddon is almost here

Your MOM is like a Tornado.

She makes you fear her till she is right up on you in the SUCK ZONE and sucks you up inside and makes you feel like nothing is wrong as she twirls you around in her mouth....

She shows you more than you want to see in the CORE but you have no choice so you look anyway.....

and then she gets you feeling like the world is cuming to an end then she drops you and goes after the next unwilling victim.

Leaving you in her wake of swirling oral destruction wanting more.

seclark
02-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Have you done that before?
yep...last year it was 18degrees and there was 1 1/4" of ice on the lake that had to be busted.

paid $50 to do it, and the money goes to special olympics.
sec

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Your MOM is like a Tornado.

She makes you fear her till she is right up on you in the SUCK ZONE and sucks you up inside and makes you feel like nothing is wrong as she twirls you around in her mouth....

She shows you more than you want to see in the CORE but you have no choice so you look anyway.....

and then she gets you feeling like the world is cuming to an end then she drops you and goes after the next unwilling victim.

Leaving you in her wake of swirling oral destruction wanting more.

omg you suck

Rooster
02-02-2007, 03:22 PM
yep...last year it was 18degrees and there was 1 1/4" of ice on the lake that had to be busted.

paid $50 to do it, and the money goes to special olympics.
sec

That's crazy. What is it like when you first hit the water? Does it take your breath away. I have always thought that a Polar Bear plundge would be something I might do for some reason.

Honestly, shrinkage factor? The boys can't like it much. :)

seclark
02-02-2007, 03:41 PM
That's crazy. What is it like when you first hit the water? Does it take your breath away. I have always thought that a Polar Bear plundge would be something I might do for some reason.

Honestly, shrinkage factor? The boys can't like it much. :)

it's cold. but when you get out, it's pretty warm. i think they call it hypothermia, or something.

the shrinkage info is something i don't want to get in to. does that answer your question?
sec

Rooster
02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
the shrinkage info is something i don't want to get in to. does that answer your question?
sec

:LOL: Fair enough. That is what I kinda thought.

Kerberos
02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
omg you suck

Kind of like your mom... I had to say it!

Anyway .....4321

YOur mom is like deep sea fishing...her tuna can be caught many different ways, after a few times your hands will smell like squid and shrimp but once you get past the odor her pinkness will entice all species, and with luck you'll find her little man in the boat before you add another chapter to the Old Man and the Sea.

Like THIS is any BETTER??? :whackit:

:shake:

Redrum_69
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Kind of like your mom... I had to say it!

Anyway .....4321

Like THIS is any BETTER??? :whackit:

:shake:

Well I was going to say your mom is like Punxsutawney Phil but her fatass couldnt get pried out her trailer...She makes the momma in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape look like Sally Struthers...

Rooster
02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Well I was going to say your mom is like Punxsutawney Phil but her fatass couldnt get pried out her trailer...She makes the momma in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape look like Sally Struthers...

ROFL ROFL That's a big bitch..

Kerberos
02-03-2007, 06:43 AM

OMG YOU SUCK

Extra Point
02-03-2007, 07:29 AM
I think I understand Redrum_69. He broke down and PM'ed me about why he is warped:

"I remember the day I turned 11, and I was all excited about it.

I decided to test my family to see if they remembered my birthday, so I went downstairs to my father. "Bet cha' can't guess how old I am today", I said.

My dad had no clue and finally gave up. "I'm eleven!" I exclaimed.

Next I went in the kitchen, walked up to my mom, and said, "Bet cha' can't guess how old I am today".

"Let me give it a guess", mom said and stuck her hand in my trousers.

She played with my testicles for about an hour or so (squeezing them; moving them back and forth), took her hand out of my trousers, and said, "You're eleven years old."

"How did you know?" I asked.

Mom replied, "I heard you tell your father." "

Poor guy.

Ultra Peanut
02-03-2007, 07:51 AM
He think he hard. He a little bitch.

C-Mac
02-03-2007, 08:51 AM
It's a big to-do here in PA. Good times. I might add, one hell of a drunken bash too. :) Gotta love Phil.

Well if it has anything to do with superstitions and Christian holidays, you can bet there will be alchohol involved.
:p