PDA

View Full Version : KCStar- Herman Edwards guest commentary

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2007, 05:41 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16602710.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascity_kansas_city_chiefs

The Colts are here because of defense

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards faced the Colts a month ago in a 23-8 loss in the playoffs. Edwards is very close friends with Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy, which at first made him hesitant to do the annual Super Bowl scouting report. But he took time out this week to talk about Indianapolis with The Star.

Defenses win games. I keep telling people that, and they don’t believe me.

When you look at the playoffs, that’s what won it for these guys, is their defense. Both teams have played good defense in the playoffs. Both of them had shootout games, too. Lovie (Smith) and those guys had a shootout game against Seattle, and Tony had a shootout game against New England. But in the other games against us and Baltimore, they played good defense.

It’s the playoffs, and you knew their defense was going to play better. I knew that when we got ready to play them. And I kept telling our team: “These guys are going to play different. They’re going to play with much more resilience.”

Their defense did a good job on third downs getting off the field, and they’re taking the ball away. So to me, that was the key of how they played in the playoffs. Their first game was at home against us. I think that game gave them a lot of confidence, and then they went to Baltimore, and basically it was the same way.

New England was more of an open game, but at the end, their defense still made plays. (Bob Sanders) has made a big difference. Because he is kind of like the lightning rod for those guys. The players believe in him, and when he came back, it kind of sparked them.

Their ends are going to get you. You can’t block ’em. You can’t block (Dwight) Freeney and the other guy (Robert Mathis). Freeney runs a 4.45, and the other guy runs a 4.5. There are no tackles in the league who can block them by themselves. So they’re going to run around and hit the quarterback. And they’re going to play Cover 2 so you can’t throw the ball down the field. So, bam, the quarterback gets hit, the ball falls out, now you’re down three scores. So what have you got to do? You can’t keep running the ball because the fans start booing you.

You’ve got to throw the ball and, oops, interception. Now you’re down four scores, game over.

Peyton is playing better. It was just a matter of time because he’s that kind of quarterback. To me, a key for both teams is special teams because they both have good return guys. And then how (Rex) Grossman plays against those guys. If he doesn’t turn the ball over, they’ll be in the game. If he turns the ball over, that’s not good.

C-Mac
02-03-2007, 05:45 PM
The Colts are here because of defense

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards faced the Colts a month ago in a 23-8 loss in the playoffs. Edwards is very close friends with Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy, which at first made him hesitant to do the annual Super Bowl scouting report. But he took time out this week to talk about Indianapolis with The Star.

Defenses win games. I keep telling people that, and they don’t believe me.

When you look at the playoffs, that’s what won it for these guys, is their defense. Both teams have played good defense in the playoffs. Both of them had shootout games, too. Lovie (Smith) and those guys had a shootout game against Seattle, and Tony had a shootout game against New England. But in the other games against us and Baltimore, they played good defense.

It’s the playoffs, and you knew their defense was going to play better. I knew that when we got ready to play them. And I kept telling our team: “These guys are going to play different. They’re going to play with much more resilience.”

Their defense did a good job on third downs getting off the field, and they’re taking the ball away. So to me, that was the key of how they played in the playoffs. Their first game was at home against us. I think that game gave them a lot of confidence, and then they went to Baltimore, and basically it was the same way.

New England was more of an open game, but at the end, their defense still made plays. (Bob Sanders) has made a big difference. Because he is kind of like the lightning rod for those guys. The players believe in him, and when he came back, it kind of sparked them.

Their ends are going to get you. You can’t block ’em. You can’t block (Dwight) Freeney and the other guy (Robert Mathis). Freeney runs a 4.45, and the other guy runs a 4.5. There are no tackles in the league who can block them by themselves. So they’re going to run around and hit the quarterback. And they’re going to play Cover 2 so you can’t throw the ball down the field. So, bam, the quarterback gets hit, the ball falls out, now you’re down three scores. So what have you got to do? You can’t keep running the ball because the fans start booing you.

You’ve got to throw the ball and, oops, interception. Now you’re down four scores, game over.

Peyton is playing better. It was just a matter of time because he’s that kind of quarterback. To me, a key for both teams is special teams because they both have good return guys. And then how (Rex) Grossman plays against those guys. If he doesn’t turn the ball over, they’ll be in the game. If he turns the ball over, that’s not good.

C-Mac
02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Is there a part missing? Its like it stopped in the middle or something.

ChiefsLV
02-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah Herm, that AFC championship win against the Pats in Indy was all Colts defense. Why can't you have both a good offense and defense Herm? What is so ****ing wrong with that? Even Dungy got a clue and let an offensive guru run his offense for him. :banghead:

02-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah Herm, that AFC championship win against the Pats in Indy was all Colts defense. Why can't you have both a good offense and defense Herm? What is so ****ing wrong with that? Even Dungy got a clue and let an offensive guru run his offense for him. :banghead:

Have you forgotten already? The Chiefs never have balance. When was the last time we had true balance? Maybe the Montana years but I can't recall much else without going all the way back to our SB win.

C-Mac
02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I cant image all the spin possiblities.
If the Bears win by 1 point, defense rules.
If the Colts win by 35 points, defense rules.

HMc
02-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Is this guy for real? The only reason you can't run the ball is that the fans will boo you? You can't pass because sacks lead to turnovers?

Yeah your plan worked real well in the playoff game, fuqtard.

Phobia
02-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Herm is right and everybody else is wrong.

WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE LISTEN?

eazyb81
02-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Herm is right and everybody else is wrong.

WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE LISTEN?

HELLOOOO?!?!

Bowser
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
The more I hear, the less I like.

the Talking Can
02-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Duuurrrhhh-m Edwards is a shit sucking moron.

And we're stuck with him for 3 more years,.

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I love the beginning where he states he's right and everyone is wrong.

C-Mac
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Hmmmm.. I was just thinking, wonder what spin he would use to explain the Dolphins demise.

ChiefFan31
02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Since Herm knew that the Colts defense would step up and play, how does he explain that embarrassment of an Offensive game plan?

"I knew they would stack the box to stop the run, but since I'm such a Tony Dungy butt kisser I instructed my Offensive coordinator to keep running LJ up the centers butthole for 1 yard runs"

siberian khatru
02-03-2007, 08:54 PM
STFU Herm

KcMizzou
02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
The more I hear, the less I like.I totally agree, unfortunately.

I really wanted to like the guy.

:shake:

KcMizzou
02-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I love the beginning where he states he's right and everyone is wrong.It's like Hootie with a head coaching gig.