PDA

View Full Version : PastaBelly: Rhodes dissappointed with not getting MVP

Anyong Bluth
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Don't know if this is Germans or not, but looking at his face and all, kind of get the feeling the guy feels the NFL jobbed him to make sure their #1 product endorser got the MVP.

Peyton has 247 yards, 1 TD, 1 FMBL, & 1 INT. The colts were 8-18 on 3rd down, and he completed 65.8% of his passes- w/ a QB rating of 81.8. His highest QB rating of the playoffs.

Rhodes had 21 carries for a 113 yards (5.4 avg; longest run 36) and 1 TD, 8 yards receiving on 1 reception.
BUT...
Addai had 19 carries for 77 yards (4.1 avg; longest run 14), but also had 66 yards on 10 receptions

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0204/nfl_rhodes_field_275.jpg

Colts running back Dominic Rhodes shows his disappointment as the MVP announcement is made.

MIAMI -- For a few moments late Sunday night, Indianapolis Colts tailback Dominic Rhodes stood on the field at Dolphin Stadium and mentally rehearsed history's most famous post-Super Bowl tagline.

You know, the one about heading to a famous amusement megapark in Orlando, Fla., to be feted there by the world's most famous mouse.

Cameras surrounded the veteran tailback, and NFL security officials nudged closer to him than Chicago Bears defenders had gotten during most of Super Bowl XLI. Then, teased by all the attention, it was suddenly over for Rhodes as quarterback Peyton Manning was announced as the Most Valuable Player in the Colts' 29-17 victory.

Unfortunately, for Rhodes, fame is fleeting. Luckily, for the Colts and the league, which likely was a bit red-faced for suggesting that Rhodes might have won the game's singular honor, disappointment doesn't hang around very long for the six-year veteran runner.

"No big deal," said Rhodes, who carried 21 times for 113 yards but never made it atop the podium to snuggle up to the Vince Lombardi Trophy in front of a national audience. "I'm a Super Bowl champion. Would the [MVP] award have been nice? Sure, and I guess the voting must have been close. But I've got 'champion' after my name now."

Signed as an undrafted college free agent in 2001, Rhodes rushed for 1,104 yards as a rookie when then-starter Edgerrin James suffered a season-ending knee injury. In the ensuing five seasons, which included a 2002 campaign in which Rhodes missed the entire season with a knee injury of his own, he has totaled just 1,170 yards.

Graham Bensinger spoke with Dominic Rhodes every day during Super Bowl week, and then caught up with him following the Colts' victory.

But Rhodes, 28, started every regular-season game in 2006 and served as a mentor for rookie tailback Joseph Addai, the Colts' first-round draft choice. And Sunday night, when Addai totaled 143 all-purpose yards from scrimmage, it was Rhodes who hammered the touted, tough-guy Chicago defense into submission, running for 87 yards and 14 carries in the second half.

Going to Disney World? Heck, the Colts are going home to Indianapolis with a Super Bowl in hand, in large part because of Rhodes' quick feet.

"We've used Dom to put away games for us," Manning said, "so it really doesn't come as a surprise, what he did tonight. But, man, he sure gives us a lift."

Rhodes had 10 rushes of 5 or more yards, five runs for 10-plus yards, and a 36-yard dash off the weak side in the third quarter to set up one of Adam Vinatieri's three field goals. If Addai softened the Chicago defense in the first half, Rhodes finished the ballyhooed but beleaguered unit in the second.

"Maybe the only disappointment," Rhodes said, "was not getting the ball into the end zone as much as we usually do. But we kept moving the ball. And you could see, as the game wore on, that their defense was wearing out. They were on the field a heck of a lot. With this game, maybe people will recognize a little more just how good our running game can be."

As for personal recognition, well, Rhodes was cited by most of his teammates in a happy Colts locker room after the victory. Although he wouldn't have minded an all-expenses paid trip to Orlando, he figures he can make the trip on the playoff bonus money he earned.

"I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't have been nice," Rhodes said. "But with the way that my teammates are treating me, trust me, I don't need it to feel (validated)."

noa
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Who chooses the Super Bowl MVP?

NewChief
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Probably been said before, but there wasn't a clear cut choice for MVP. Rhodes and Addai could have shared it. Since that's impossible, it almost had to go to Manning by default.

Hammock Parties
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Tomorrow I reveal my top secret list of five potential MVPs that got snubbed.

Anyong Bluth
02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
The colts offense did what they were supposed to do. And I guess you could say that w/ all that Payton does to help the offense move he should win it, I think Addai makes just as strong a case as the other 2. His 10 receptions kept the chains moving a number of times.

Donger
02-05-2007, 01:31 PM
What did the Germans have to do with it?

ck_IN
Newchief is right. Dom got caught in a numbers game with Addai so the voters took the easy way out and gave it to Manning.

Don't feel bad for Rhodes. He's a free agent and after his postseason, his price tag went way up. Perhaps to the point where the Colts won't be able to keep him.

He has a ring, a winners share check and a nice FA contract on the horizon. All in all it's good to be Dom.

Anyong Bluth
Kelvin Hayden and Bob Sanders I'm sure are on that.

For the losing team you have to put Urlacher as their MVP candidate.

ck_IN
<i>What did the Germans have to do with it?</i>

Didn't they bomb Pearl Harbor?

CoMoChief
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I would have said Hayden, who clearly put the game away and since INT returns for TD's dont happen very often anyways.

Bob Sanders had a hell of a game too. INT, forced fumble.

I think either of those two deserved it better than Manning.

NewChief
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Kelvin Hayden and Bob Sanders I'm sure are on that.

For the losing team you have to put Urlacher as their MVP candidate.

Add Grossman to the Colts MVP list.

luv
02-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Newchief is right. Dom got caught in a numbers game with Addai so the voters took the easy way out and gave it to Manning.

Don't feel bad for Rhodes. He's a free agent and after his postseason, his price tag went way up. Perhaps to the point where the Colts won't be able to keep him.

He has a ring, a winners share check and a nice FA contract on the horizon. All in all it's good to be Dom.
But he would have gotten that nice red Caddilac.

Eleazar
02-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Oh wow. We may just all die of the anticipation :rolleyes:

FAX
02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Add Grossman to the Colts MVP list.

Amen, Mr. NewChief.

Lovie should have put Prince in there.

FAX

Eleazar
02-05-2007, 01:39 PM
To me, it didn't look like Manning felt he deserved it. He didn't celebrate or even look happy about it, and as soon as he gave his speech he handed the trophy down to his teammates below.

It's not Manning's fault that it has to go to one player, or that they chose someone based more on name or whatever.

Reerun_KC
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
What did the Germans have to do with it?

Wow you really have to ask that?

Warrior5
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Don't know if this is Germans or not, but...

Reminds me of Smokey and the Bandit.

Sheriff Branford: "I hear perfectly. The fact that you're a sheriff is not germaine to the situation."

Sheriff Buford T. Justice: "The @#$damn Germans got nothing to do with it!"

siberian khatru
02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
If somehow Rhodes and Addai could have tied and split it ...

Hammock Parties
02-05-2007, 01:43 PM
They've had Co-MVPs before.

Anyong Bluth
02-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey, if Desmond Howard can win it- who give a rats terd

ct
02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Probably been said before, but there wasn't a clear cut choice for MVP. Rhodes and Addai could have shared it. Since that's impossible, it almost had to go to Manning by default.

I'll 3rd this sentiment, after ck_IN's 2nd.

Rhodes deserved it, so did Addai, and so did Hayden. So given the lack of a single, truly clear cut MVP, they gave it to the Golden Boy.

Personally, I'd have given it to Hayden, who made the game clinching play. After the INT-TD, the game was ovah!!

greg63
02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey, if Desmond Howard can win it- who give a rats terd

That made me laugh out loud! LMAO

ck_IN
02-05-2007, 01:46 PM
<i>To me, it didn't look like Manning felt he deserved it.</i>

I noticed that too. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point Manning makes it up to Addai and Rhodes. They really should've split it.

siberian khatru
02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
They've had Co-MVPs before.

But you can't vote for that, right? Isn't that just how the vote tallies break? Or can you vote for more than one player?

Donger
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM

I thought maybe it was throwing the Germans a bone after the Treaty of Versailles.

sedated
02-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Colts Win = Peyton MVP

there was little question he would walk with the hardware, the NFL has a ginormous hardon for making peyton the most recognizable athlete

Mr. Laz
02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
addai and rhodes got screwed out of the MVP by Tony Dungee.

Saulbadguy
02-05-2007, 02:01 PM
The only message board that uses that term is Phag.net, so shut the **** up you whiny bitch.

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I would have given it to Hayden because he made the game's biggest defensive play, and it was the Colts defense that not only won the Super Bowl, but GOT THEM THERE.

Saulbadguy
02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I thought maybe it was throwing the Germans a bone after the Treaty of Versailles.
It is a reference to the movie Animal House.

Donger
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
It is a reference to the movie Animal House.

Really?

FAX
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
... it was the Colts defense that not only won the Super Bowl, but GOT THEM THERE.

Strange, but true.

FAX

Bugeater
02-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Really?
Actually post #9 was the Animal House reference, I have no idea what Germans have to do with the thread starter.

Chief Nute
02-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Would it have been in bad taste to hand those new car keys down to his boys Dom and Joe right in front of the commish? I kept waiting for him to proclaim someone else as the MVP, but he never did it.

I guess Dom or Joe could get back at Peyton next year by accidentally "missing" that blitzing linebacker......then as Peyton collects himself they tell him "it's OK.....just throw some dirt on it"

acesn8s
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Manning had the MVP award before the game. All that had to happen was for the Colts not to lose.

acesn8s
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Manning had the MVP award before the game. All that had to happen was for the Colts not to lose.
Just like Urlacher would have gotten it with the Bears had they won.

BigRock
02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
It's one thing if he was just whining that he didn't get MVP, but to be teased with it by having the NFL people gathering around him has got to suck. He should have pulled a Belichick and started throwing cameramen out of his way.

OnTheWarpath15
02-05-2007, 04:23 PM

I'd bet everyone else is thinking Addai, Rhodes, Sanders and Hayden.

I'm thinking (and I think GC is thinking) Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott and Diem......(and Diem's replacement.....)

Indy's OL dominated that game.

alpha_omega
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Come on now....everybody should have known (going into the game) that Manning was going to be the MVP...as long as the Colts won!

greg63
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
To me, it didn't look like Manning felt he deserved it.

I noticed that too. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point Manning makes it up to Addai and Rhodes. They really should've split it.

Nah, Manning is all about Manning.

ck_IN
02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
A nice update for all you haters. It would appear that Manning is getting the MVP trophy and Caddie but Dom Rhodes and Dungy are going to Orlando. I saw the 'going to Disney' commercial last night. If Dom was phased about the trophy he sure didn't look it in the commercial. :)