PDA

View Full Version : National Signing Day

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Already a couple of surprises.

All the dust should be settled by late afternoon.

Bowser
02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
So how have the athletic departments at Florida done lately?

KChiefer
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Edit: NVM I assume ppl like scout.com

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Edit: NVM I assume ppl like scout.com
I'm more of a Rivals fan.

KChiefer
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm more of a Rivals fan.

Cool. Thanks.

http://illinois.rivals.com/ is now bookmarked.

Still waiting for Zook to get us out da gutter. Then we can fire him and get crowned lol.

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Cool. Thanks.

http://illinois.rivals.com/ is now bookmarked.

Still waiting for Zook to get us out da gutter. Then we can fire him and get crowned lol.

LMAO Good recruiter, terrible coach.

Mecca
02-07-2007, 10:29 AM
We still got a shot at Joe McNight and Marvin Austin......everyone talkin about the Gators class this is still a very good SC class.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I can't wait for today to end. Nebraska signed a top 10 class, but supposedly some of our commits are wavering. NU already lost a commit to Oklahoma this week.

Mecca
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I wonder of the Domers are pissed....Greg Little turned his back on them for North Carolina.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't understand why so many of these recruits change their mind, especially after being committed to one school for months. I don't think it's acceptable the way these kids play games during their recruitment. It's not funny. They are messing with coaches and programs. Grow up and make a mature decison and stick with it.

KChiefer
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
LMAO Good recruiter, terrible coach.

Yeah. I loved hearing him explain how going for a failed 2 pt. twice against IND(when you didn't need to) didn't effect a game that we lost by 2 pts.

:cuss: :cuss:

Ebolapox
02-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't understand why so many of these recruits change their mind, especially after being committed to one school for months. I don't think it's acceptable the way these kids play games during their recruitment. It's not funny. They are messing with coaches and programs. Grow up and made a mature decison and stick with it.

you're asking that of 18-20 year olds? I'm 24--and I'll be the first to admit that the problem with being 18-(probably 30 years old) is that bad decisions and immaturity are more common than not... one could say that about ANY age depending on the person, but it's especially true of people freshly graduated from high school

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 10:44 AM
you're asking that of 18-20 year olds? I'm 24--and I'll be the first to admit that the problem with being 18-(probably 30 years old) is that bad decisions and immaturity are more common than not... one could say that about ANY age depending on the person, but it's especially true of people freshly graduated from high school

I think they are old enough to honor their original commitment.

BigCatDaddy
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I can't wait for today to end. Nebraska signed a top 10 class, but supposedly some of our commits are wavering. NU already lost a commit to Oklahoma this week.

Who left?

KChiefer
02-07-2007, 10:47 AM

And how old is Nick Saban?

I hear what your saying, but these are kids with ppl slobbing all over them, as well as being the biggest decision they've ever made. Maybe if schools didn't bug the living crap out of 'em, they wouldn't commit so quickly.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm sure it's hard to turn down coaches who continue to call, but I think a recruit should honor his commitment.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Who left?

Travis Lewis, an OLB/S.

Archie Bunker
02-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Pretty happy with the class Pinkel has put together. It's no where near the type of class Florida, USC, or Nebraska reeled in but I'll take it.

Looks like George White a 3 star LB has switched from Michigan St to MU.

KChiefer
02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm sure it's hard to turn down coaches who continue to call, but I think a recruit should honor his commitment.

Well, we can for sure agree that every recruit that turns on Saban is some funny ass karma. Too bad he'll receive some defectors to make up for it.

Ebolapox
02-07-2007, 10:52 AM

sure they are... and those of us who aren't that age and have attained a bit more maturity and personal accountability agree that it's sh*tty that they back out of their word like that... however, and this is all I'm pointing out, that's the problem with recruiting kids fresh out of high school and making one's livelihood off of them. Oftentimes, they aren't as ready for what life has to throw out at them, aren't ready for the pressure, and thus are prone to stupid decisions like backing out of a committment (sometimes for NO good reason).

chief52
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't understand why so many of these recruits change their mind, especially after being committed to one school for months. I don't think it's acceptable the way these kids play games during their recruitment. It's not funny. They are messing with coaches and programs. Grow up and make a mature decison and stick with it.

Until they sign they have not made a committment. Verbals are just that. Let us not act like the school's have never pulled a verbal. Today is the first day to make a committment. The other stuff is meaningless.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Until they sign they have not made a committment. Verbals are just that. Let us not act like the school's have never pulled a verbal. Today is the first day to make a committment. The other stuff is meaningless.

My point is a recruit should stand by his verbal commitment.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
The recruits who are changing their minds today are giving coaches no time to turn around and recruit another guy, and that's bull.

Archie Bunker
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Current Big 12 rankings according to rivals

1 Texas
2 Nebraska
3 Oklahoma
4 Oklahoma State
5 Missouri
6 Colorado
7 Texas A&M
8 Kansas State
9 Texas Tech
10 Kansas
11 Iowa State
12 Baylor

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:14 AM
The recruits who are changing their minds today are giving coaches no time to turn around and recruit another guy, and that's bull.
:deevee: :deevee:

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Travis Lewis, an OLB/S.
I'm sure the "greatest fans in college football" had no problem with this, you know, since they didn't need him anyways, and whoever they got instead of him was was better anyways.

I'm sure he will only end up with a few dozen harassing voicemails rather than the usual 100.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM
:deevee: :deevee:

Nebraska is destroying Kansas State in recruiting. Freeman's decommit was a blessing in disguise. Without it, Sam Keller and Zac Lee might not be in Lincoln.

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Nebraska is destroying Kansas State in recruiting. Freeman's decommit was a blessing in disguise. Without it, Sam Keller and Zac Lee might not be in Lincoln.
That's fine. Nebraska can sign all the 4 star recruits they want, they still have Captain Dipshit at the helm.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm sure the "greatest fans in college football" had no problem with this, you know, since they didn't need him anyways, and whoever they got instead of him was was better anyways.

I'm sure he will only end up with a few dozen harassing voicemails rather than the usual 100.

Total bullsh*t. Why don't you admit that 50% of being a Kansas State football fan is hoping Nebraska loses.

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Total bullsh*t. Why don't you admit that 50% of being a Kansas State football fan is hoping Nebraska loses.
Another hyper-sensitive cornholer. You guys are so easy to work over its almost sad.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
That's fine. Nebraska can sign all the 4 star recruits they want, they still have Captain Dipshit at the helm.

K-State fans are still pi$$ed that Larry Asante signed with Nebraska. I'd take Callahan over Princess.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Another hyper-sensitive cornholer. You guys are so easy to work over its almost sad.

Your comment was based on your hatred of Nebraska, and you can't stand the fact that it's so easy for anyone to win an argument with a K-State fan.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
K-States days of beating Nebraska are over, and they know it.

Now back to recruiting discussion...

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
K-States days of beating Nebraska are over, and they know it.

Now back to recruiting discussion...
With Cally "playing not to lose", we will always have a shot.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:38 AM
With Cally "playing not to lose", we will always have a shot.

In your dreams. The talent gap between the schools is getting bigger. The playcalling will get better as the offense improves.

HerculesRockefell
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Huskers down another with David Ross to ASU.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM

I thought it was Oregon State, of all places. I don't know what Oregon State's football program has that Nebraska doesn't. That makes two 4* DB decommits during the "dead period." Ross was wavering all along.

HerculesRockefell
02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I thought it was Oregon State, of all places. I don't know what Oregon State's football program has that Nebraska doesn't. That makes two 4* DB decommits during the "dead period." Ross was wavering all along.

Ericson has been going after everybody, he picked off a Garhart last night from CU, and GG had been comitted since August.

and it looks like the Buffs just picked off Sione Tau from Arizona.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Erikson has been slimy since his days at Miami. He's known for it.

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
hahahahaha

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
hahahahaha

You just proved my point ROFL
50% of being a KSU fan is hoping bad things happen to Nebraska. It's all KSU fans have left.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Nebraska's class still kicks ass.

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Mizzou's class is shaping up pretty well. I'd have liked a good TE in the class, but there will be some outstanding candidates for next year's class.

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
50% of being a KSU fan is hoping bad things happen to Nebraska. It's all KSU fans have left.
We are a basketball school now.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
We are a basketball school now.

ROFL

88TG88
02-07-2007, 12:01 PM
JOE MCKNIGHT IS A TROJAN !!!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/88tg88/p1.jpg

this probably isnt news to anyone but i just woke up

Sully
02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
My point is a recruit should stand by his verbal commitment.

This would be fine, if coaches had to sign a contract with every player they recruit saying they will be at that school for the rest of that player's career.

Sully
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM

You don't have to be a K-State fan to hope bad things happen at Nebraska.

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
We still got a shot at Joe McNight and Marvin Austin......everyone talkin about the Gators class this is still a very good SC class.

You guys got McKnight but Austin went with UNC. USC has a great class. Both Florida and USC have great quality, but Florida has much more quantity than USC, which is the reason for the top ranking.

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 12:20 PM
All of UF's expected commits have sent in their LOI's and we got a nice surprise this morning from Jeremy Finch. Now it's waiting to hear from Deonte Thompson and Chad Jones and possibly a few others. I think we have 2 'ships left.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
You don't have to be a K-State fan to hope bad things happen at Nebraska.

But it's 50% of being a KSU fan.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm sure John Blake did a great job of recruiting Austin. The man is a master recruiter.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
This would be fine, if coaches had to sign a contract with every player they recruit saying they will be at that school for the rest of that player's career.

Picking a school because of a certain coach isn't the greatest idea. That's like the average student attending a school because of a certain professor. The professor doesn't teach every class. It's better to pick a place with a good atmosphere where you would want to live for the next four years, I think it's more of an issue in basketball than in football.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 12:56 PM
A quote from David Ross's high school coach has been published saying Ross didn't like that Nebraska recruited other DBs. Ross is arguably the most talented out of all of them :shake: The kid is afraid of competition. He would've had a good chance to start in 2008 after Bowman graduates. The kid has no patience, so good bye.

Frosty
02-07-2007, 01:29 PM
A quote from David Ross's high school coach has been published saying Ross didn't like that Nebraska recruited other DBs. Ross is arguably the most talented out of all of them :shake: The kid is afraid of competition. He would've had a good chance to start in 2008 after Bowman graduates. The kid has no patience, so good bye.

He's got a good chance to start this year at OSU. Our current corners aren't good, as anyone who watched the Sun Bowl knows. :shake:

recxjake
02-07-2007, 01:31 PM
How did Iowa do?

Archie Bunker
02-07-2007, 01:35 PM
How did Iowa do?

Rivals ranks them at #27

recxjake
02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Rivals ranks them at #27

man, I was hoping for them to do better than that

Swanman
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
My Fighting Illini got all their LOI's in today so I'm happy. We got 3 5* recruits and 3 4* recruits. Not bad for a 2-10 team. I think our class will rank up around 15th in the nation. Zook may not be a great game coach, but recruiting great talent helps hide coaching deficiencies like nothing else can. Ask Lloyd Carr if you don't believe me.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
A teaser on Rivals says Noel Devine won't sign with anyone. It seems he's going to prep school.

Saulbadguy
02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
But it's 50% of being a KSU fan.
And 50% of being a Husker fan is crying about the 50% of being a KSU fan is laughing at all the bad things that happen to you.

Sam Hall
02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
And 50% of being a Husker fan is crying about the 50% of being a KSU fan is laughing at all the bad things that happen to you.

This is another post by Saul that doesn't make any sense :)

ChiTown
02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
My Fighting Illini got all their LOI's in today so I'm happy. We got 3 5* recruits and 3 4* recruits. Not bad for a 2-10 team. I think our class will rank up around 15th in the nation. Zook may not be a great game coach, but recruiting great talent helps hide coaching deficiencies like nothing else can. Ask Lloyd Carr if you don't believe me.

I'm a believer.

Zook is one helluva recruiter.

Illinois has been insignificant for so many years, it's hard to believe what he's doing up there with recruiting. :clap:

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
What is the hawkeye class looking like?

Any talent?

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Deonte Thompson is a gator! :rockon:

That's our 10th 5* commit :)

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Any talent?

scout has Iowa at #37, 5 4*, 7 3* and 22 total commits.

rivals has them at #27, 5 4*, 11 3*

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Will the Parole board just go ahead and finger print all of those 5*'s now or wait until they've been bailed out?

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Meyer stays far in front in recruiting race
Published February 7, 2007

The best description of recruiting ever uttered came many years ago when an anonymous old coach mused: "Recruiting is like shaving. If you don't do it every day, you look like a bum."

And, so, there will be a lot of scraggly, scruffy coaches out there when National Signing Day commences this morning, because Florida's Urban Meyer is making them all look like a bunch of hobos. In fact, there are a few coaches in the state and across the country who should start hopping freight trains when they make an official home visit. Or maybe they should show up at their signing-day news conferences with their tattered recruiting lists wrapped in cloth and tied to a stick.

This is getting really, really tiring and tedious, but here we go again: The Florida Gators -- No. 1 in basketball, No. 1 in football and, now, most likely No. 1 in recruiting, too. According to most analysts, Meyer and his staff will sign the nation's top-rated recruiting class today.

"I'm jacked," Meyer said Tuesday. "If we can hang on to all our commitments for the next 24 hours, this will be a tremendous class."

Here's how ridiculous Meyer's recruiting prowess has become, here's how ahead of the game he is. He already has nine members of this year's class enrolled at UF and ready to take part in spring practice. Never in the history of college football has a school had so many early enrollees.

And while other schools throughout the nation spent last weekend bringing in high-school seniors and trying to shore up this year's recruiting class, Meyer had a "Junior Day" where he invited the top juniors in the country so he could get a head start on next year's recruiting class.

Monday, Meyer and his staff met for most of the day to discuss the 2008 recruiting class and to start identifying the top sophomores in the 2009 recruiting class. Coming soon to UF's campus: "Kindergarten Day." And how long until Meyer sends out assistant coach John "Doc" Holliday to scout the playground at a South Dade La Petite? Wait a minute, I'm starting to get a vision of a just-born baby boy being welcomed into the world by a text message from Meyer: "Heard you did a 4-flat coming out of the birthing canal. I'd like to schedule you for an official visit on Nov. 3, 2024. Please respond."

"With all the competition out there, you have to figure out a way to stay ahead of the game," Meyer says.

"Urban Meyer and his staff aren't afraid to push the envelope and try new things," says J.C. Shurburtt, recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. "Their goal is to outdo the competition, and to do that, they're willing to be innovative."

Other schools are recruiting the way they always have in the past; Meyer is traveling hyperspeed into the future. Meyer doesn't just work hard; he works smart and he works ahead. This year, he is on the cutting edge of early enrollees and held a "Junior Day" before anyone else. Last year, he was on the cutting edge of the text-messaging craze that has revolutionized the recruiting process.

While there is a rule about how many times a coach can phone a recruit, there is no such limit on text messages. And Meyer takes full advantage, using his Blackberry to send personal notes to recruits at all hours of the day and night. Example: An hour before kickoff of the national-championship game, Meyer text-messaged star recruits. An hour after the game, he still was text-messaging star recruits.

Last year, prep All-America quarterback recruit Tim Tebow was about to speak to a Rotary Club in Jacksonville. Just before he walked on stage, his cell phone buzzed, and he received a text message from Meyer that read in part: "TT: National title, Heisman, it's all here waiting for you. Urban Meyer."

The national title came a few weeks ago, and the scary part is that championship team might end up being one of the least talented Meyer coaches at UF. He had one of the top two classes in the country last year, and it looks as if this year's class clearly will be No. 1. Besides a bevy of his own commitments, Meyer has swooped in and stolen players who previously had committed to Notre Dame, USC, Texas and Florida State.

"Recruiting is like shaving. If you don't do it every day, you look like a bum."

If that's the case, Meyer is a high-tech Gillette Fusion razor with five blades and two lubricating strips.

"If it means getting a recruit," Meyer says, laughing, "I'll even shave two or three times a day if I have to."

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-bianchi0707feb07,0,5425943.column?coll=orl-sports-col

htismaqe
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Any talent?

Outside the Army All-American fest of a couple of year ago, this is far and away Ferentz' best class at Iowa.

GREAT recruiting class.

eazyb81
02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm a believer.

Zook is one helluva recruiter.

Illinois has been insignificant for so many years, it's hard to believe what he's doing up there with recruiting. :clap:Almost makes you think something shady is going on up in Champaign.

In fact, the NY Times even wrote an article implying that Zook's crew might have cheated during this recruiting class.

Recruiting guru Tom Lemming said he's never seen anything like it before, and it's hard to see why players would choose Illinois over teams like Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame, considering the Illini is 4-19 over the last two years.

But i'm sure everything is on the up and up.....

Swanman
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Almost makes you think something shady is going on up in Champaign.

In fact, the NY Times even wrote an article implying that Zook's crew might have cheated during this recruiting class.

Recruiting guru Tom Lemming said he's never seen anything like it before, and it's hard to see why players would choose Illinois over teams like Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame, considering the Illini is 4-19 over the last two years.

But i'm sure everything is on the up and up.....

The NY Times article was pure and utter crap. It was some idiot pulling rumors off of message boards and putting it in an article. Gottfried on ESPN completely ripped the article as the crap that it is.

Lemming is an ND tool that is just pissed that the Illini are taking recruits away from his beloved Irish.

88TG88
02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
USC is doing some weird stuff today. they signed marc tyler, joe mcknight, and broderick green for the same position. how many RB's do we need ?

Bugeater
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Travis Lewis, an OLB/S.
It's my understanding that he really wanted to be a RB instead of a LB.

Bugeater
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
It's going to happen, no sense in getting all bent about it. I'm far more concerned about Callahan figuring out how to make halftime adjustments than I am about his recruiting.

Reaper16
02-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Bearcat Football Signs 26 in 2007 Recruiting Class

MARYVILLE -- (PDF story) Northwest Missouri State University head football coach Mel Tjeerdsma announced the signing of 26 high school senior student-athletes to NCAA and Northwest National Letters of Intent today. The list includes players from seven different states including 11 from the home state of Missouri. These student-athletes join a program to make the National Championship the past two seasons and win the 2006 MIAA title.

“Numbers-wise, we probably got more than we thought we were going to get,” said Tjeerdsma. “Our response was great this year. We started out behind in recruiting but we caught up in a hurry. I think the exposure that we got again this year through the playoffs with being on ESPN a couple of times really helped us.

“We got some kids out of the Iowa City area that we hadn’t gotten in two to three years, so that was good to keep that coming. Maybe not as many kids from Nebraska as we’ve had in the past, but we got some Texas kids again and we’re excited about that. We had a number of kids out of the Kansas City area, and that to me is the most important thing because that’s our home area. We’re real excited about that class.”

Following is a look at each individual:
• JOE BEDARD (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) - Linebacker, 6-2, 200 lb.
High School: Xavier Head Coach: Duane Schulte Parents: Tony & Marsha Bedard Major: Business
Notes: Helped lead team to a Class 4A state title and a 13-0 record his final season... First team all-state at linebacker and punter... 2006 Iowa Sports Connection First Team Class 4A Defense... Iowa Newspapers Association Class 4A All-State linebacker... Des Moines Register First Team Class 4A punter... As the designated hitter on the baseball team, part of a 3A state champion program in 2006 and 2005 runner-up.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: We think Joe really has a great upside. He’s been a guy who’s been a three-sport guy in high school - a great baseball player as well as a basketball player. He’s also a punter, so he’s got a lot of upside. We think he’s really going to develop into an outstanding linebacker.

• BLAKE CHRISTOPHER (Kearney, Mo.) – Quarterback, 6-2, 190 lb.
High School: Kearney Head Coach: Greg Jones Parents: Robert & Maureen Christopher
Major: Graphic Design
Notes: Member of Class 4 state championship team … 2006 KMZU and KKWK Dream Teams … 2006 Class 4 Missouri Football Coaches Association All-State Second Team … 2005 Suburban Small 6 All-Conference Second Team … 2005 honorable mention all-state.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: Another young man who has a lot of ability and can play a lot of different positions. We’re bringing him in as a quarterback. That’s where he’ll start. We’ll see what happens from there. He had a very good senior year for Greg Jones, who is one of our alums.

• THOMAS DEVEREUX (Eugene, Ore.) - Linebacker, 6-0, 215 lb.
High School: Marist Catholic Head Coach: Rory Rosenbach Parents: Micheal & Sue Devereux Major: Business
Notes: 2006 conference co-defensive player of the year... 2006 honorable mention all-state linebacker... Led team in tackles for three seasons... Member of state champions in 2005.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He is a nephew of Steve Coppinger, who was an All-America center for us back in 1998. That’s how we really got onto Thomas. He’s a very good player. A little bit limited size-wise, but we think he has a great motor and could really develop.

• JOHN DOOLEY (Omaha, Neb.) - Linebacker, 6-1, 215 lb.
High School: Skutt Catholic Head Coach: Matt Turman Parent: Mike & Roxanne Dooley Major: Business
Notes: 2006 AP All-State in Class B... All-River City Conference First Team as a senior... 2006 All-Omaha Area Defense... Team captain... All-district first team... Part of a state title winner in 2005.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He is a very solid football player. He’s a little bigger linebacker, more of an inside-type guy. We think he’ll fit in real well.

• BEN EHRET (Stilwell, Kan.) - Offensive Lineman, 6-3, 295 lb.
High School: Blue Valley Head Coach: Steve Rampy Parents: Jim & Kathy Ehret Major: Engineering
Notes: Helped team to an undefeated season (13-0) and a 2006 state championship... 2005 state runner-up... Announced to the all-metro team by the KC Star, Metro Sports and 810 Sports... Topeka Capital Journal & Wichita Eagle First Team All-5A... All-Johnson County First Team... All-Eastern Kansas League First Team pick... Integral part of team to break school record for scoring and fewest points allowed.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He comes out of a great program. He has a big body and a nice frame on him, very well developed. We think he was one of the top offensive linemen we saw this year. We’re excited to get him.

• CAMERON EPPLE (Grandbury, Texas) - Defensive Tackle, 6-3, 275 lb.
High School: Grandbury Head Coach: Mark Wright Parents: Gary & Peggy Epple Major: Criminal Justice
Notes: 2006 5A All-District Second Team linebacker... Team leader in tackles as a senior... Pre-season all-state linebacker... 2004 & 2005 5A All-District First Team tight end... High school coach is the cousin of current Bearcat assistant Rich Wright.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: We just thought he was a very good high school player. He has some growth potential yet. He’s a guy, in another sense, is quite a ways along. He looks like he could step in and play after a year.

• DAVID GRAY (Tremont, Ill.) - Punter, 6-1, 190 lb.
High School: Tremont Head Coach: Lou Wicks Parents: Joe & Laura Gray Major: Criminal Justice
Notes: Participated in 2007 U.S. Army Combine where he averaged 44.7 yards per punt... 2006 All-Heart of Illinois Conference First Team... Pre-season PrepStar Magazine All-American... 2005 Mid-State All Conference Honorable Mention... Booted school record 70-yarder... Helped program make the Class 1A playoffs.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: One of the missing pieces for us. We put a real effort into recruiting a punter this year. David kind of found us, and we got a tape on him, and we really liked what we saw. Had very good success in high school, but he’s also performed extremely well in some of the training camps and kicking camps, and we really think he could help us right away.

• TYLER HERL (Topeka, Kan.) - Quarterback, 6-2, 210 lb.
High School: Shawnee Heights Head Coach: Jason Swift Parents: Tim & Susan Herl Major: Criminal Justice
Notes: 2006 Class 5A Topeka Capital Journal Honorable Mention... 2006 KFCA Class 5A Offense... Wichita Eagle Class 5A Honorable Mention Offense... Helped team to a Class 5A runner-up finish in baseball as a junior... 2005 all-city pick as an outfielder... Selected to the Honor Roll.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: A very competitive quarterback with a strong arm. He has the ability to run. We had him in our camps the last couple of years. He has a very good feeling on what we do and about our coaching. He’s gotten to know Josh Lamberson some. He came to several of our games this year. He was our top quarterback and we were really excited we get him to commit early.

• DERRICK HIGHTOWER (Belton, Mo.) - Free Safety, 6-0, 180 lb.
High School: Belton Head Coach: Jeff Gourley Parents: Willie & Leola Hightower Major: Computer Science
Notes: 2006 All-Suburban Mid-6 Second Team running back... Missouri Football Coaches’ Association Class 5 First Team Defense... All-conference defensive back twice... All-state first team kick/punt returner... Team captain... Member of 2005 district championship team.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He’s a very solid football player who can play a couple different positions. He can be a free safety, he could possibly be a strong safety, but he can be a corner. He’s also a kick and punt return guy. He’s just a real solid football player.

• ANDREW HOBBS (Mesquite, Texas) – Cornerback, 5-11, 160 lb.
High School: West Mesquite Head Coach: Mike Overton Parents: James Jackson and Teresa Hobbs Major: Business
Notes: 2006 District 10-4A unanimous defensive back … 2005 all-district cornerback … District champion in the 110-meter hurdles in sophomore and junior seasons
Comments from Tjeerdsma: Andrew is a guy we got on late. He is an outstanding track guy. He’s also going to run track. We think he’s going to be an outstanding corner for us.

• CODY JOHNSON (Jasper, Mo.) - Offensive Lineman, 6-3, 270 lb.
High School: Webb City Head Coach: John Rodrigue Parents: John & Karen Johnson Major: Criminal Justice
Notes: 2006 Missouri Football Coaches’ Association First Team All-State on defensive line... All-area, all-district and all-conference as a senior... 2005 All-Southwest Conference First Team offensive lineman and Second Team defensive lineman... Missouri Sportswriters and Sportscasters Class 4 Second Team Offense... His team lost only two games in his three years of varsity play... 2004 state runner-up and 2003 semifinalist.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: We’re excited about getting him because we think he’s a very good football player and Webb City is a great high school program in Missouri. We’ve never had anybody from Webb City since we’ve been here. He’s a great kid with a tremendous work ethic.

• KYLE KILGORE (Orrick, Mo.) - Tight End, 6-5, 210 lb.
High School: Excelsior Springs Head Coach: Sam Brown Parents: Mark & Brenda Kilgore Major: Undecided
Notes: 2006 Kansas City Area Class 4 All-District Defense... 2005 All-Suburban Small 6 Conference First Team Defense; Second Team Offense... Wendy’s High School Heisman nominee.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: Another young man who is still growing and developing. He’s going to grow into being a very good football player. His coach, Sam Brown, is a guy we’ve known for a long time, and he recommends him very highly. [E-Town represent!]

• BEN LANGSTON (Overland Park, Kan.) - Strong Safety, 6-0, 185 lb.
High School: Blue Valley NW Head Coach: Mike Zegunis Parents: Marc & Nicki Langston Major: Business
Notes: All-Eastern Kansas League selection... Team captain... Honor Roll member.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: We recruited Ben’s brother last year, but he ended up going to Pittsburg State and played as a freshman in the secondary. We’re excited about getting Ben. He’s a very good hitter and a very solid player. He is very mature already and we think is going to be a guy who plays here pretty quick.

• JOSH LORENSON (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) - Defensive Lineman, 6-3, 240 lb.
High School: Xavier Head Coach: Duane Schulte Parents: John Lorenson & Anne Plotz Major: Education/Crim. Justice
Notes: 2006 Iowa Newspapers Association Class 4A First Team defensive lineman... Des Moines Sunday Register Second Team offensive lineman... Two-time all-conference selection...First team all-state elite defensive lineman... Helped team to a 2006 Class 4A state championship and a 13-0 record.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He was an outstanding player in high school. He’s lost some weight right now because he’s wrestling, but we’re excited about that because he’s very successful at wrestling as well. We think he’ll fill back out and be very good.

• ADAM MARTENSEN (North Liberty, Iowa) - Linebacker, 6-1, 190 lb.
High School: City Regina Head Coach: Chuck Evans Parents: Van & Kathy Martensen Major: Business
Notes: 2006 all-state first team... Team captain... Voted as the Defensive MVP by his teammates... Member of 2005 state championship in Class 1A... 2005 Wendy’s High School Heisman nominee... Finished in third place at state wrestling meet as a junior at 189 pounds.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He’s another guy who lost some weight to wrestle. He finished third in the state this last year. He’s had an outstanding year in football and another guy who will fill out and grow when he just does one sport.

• ADAM MCELDERRY (West Des Moines, Iowa) - Offensive Lineman, 6-3, 275 lb.
High School: Valley Head Coach: Gary Swenson Parents: Robert & Trish McElderry Major: Undecided
Notes: 2006 first team elite all-state and first team all-metro... Two-time all-conference pick... 2005 All-CIML Second Team Offense... Iowa Sports Connection All-State Offensive Line for all classes... Member of 2005 Class 4A Championship.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He’s another heavyweight wrestler and outstanding offensive lineman. He’s comes out of a great program – West Des Moines, Iowa -- one of the great programs in Iowa. He’s been a solid offensive lineman for them. I think he’s a two-year starter. He’s another guy who is pretty well developed and can come in here and play pretty quick.

• KYLE NIXDORF (Odessa, Mo.) – Fullback, 6-1, 230 lb.
High School: Wellington/Napoleon Head Coach: James Perry Parents: Vic and Marilyn Nixdorf Major: Business
Notes: 2006 Missouri Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association Second Team Defense … 2006 Missouri Football Coaches Association Class 2 Third Team Running Back … 2006 All I-70 Conference … 2006 Kansas City All-Metro …. 2006 and 2005 KMZU Dream Team … Led team to district championships in 2005.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He’s one of the guys who is really going to be one of our outstanding recruits. He may play right away. He’s a solid fullback. He’s got great strength. We think we’ve got a need there and he may be a freshman who will come in a play.

• KEVIN OKONTA (Liberty, Mo.) – Safety, 5-10, 180 lb.
High School: Liberty Head Coach: Pat Hanson Parents: Emmanuel & Regina Okonta Major: Business
Notes: 2006 all-conference in football … 2005 All-Suburban Big-7 Honorable Mention linebacker … State qualifier in the 200-meter dash in track and field.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He’s a two-sport guy who will also compete in track here. He has great speed and a very solid player. We’re excited about having him.

• CHRIS OWENS (Florissant, Mo.) – Tight End, 6-4, 250 lb.
High School: Hazelwood Central Head Coach: Jim Pukula Parents: William & Ava Owens Major: Business
Notes: 2006 Missouri Football Coaches Association First Team … First team all-conference honors in senior and junior years … First team all-metro selection in senior season … Member of 2006 district championship team and 2005 and 2003 state runner-up teams in Class 6.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He was a Division I recruit and things didn’t pan out for him, so he became available. He’s going to be a big-time tight end. He just has a lot of upside.

• BOBBY PAULK (Plano, Texas) - Linebacker, 6-4, 200 lb.
High School: Prestonwood Christian Head Coach: Mike Hall Parents: Robert & Linda Paulk Major: Business
Notes: 2006 All-District Class 2A First Team defensive back... All-District Class 2A wide receiver...District MVP... First team all-state as a defensive back.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He is a project – he’s a big body and a big frame. He could really develop. He’s runs extremely well for a guy who’s 6-4. He’s a little guy where as time moves on, could develop into a very good player for us as an outside linebacker.

• PREVIN PERRY (St. Louis, Mo.) - Running Back, 5-10, 197 lb.
High School: Lutheran North Head Coach: Jim Manion Parents: Previn Sr. & LaRhonda Perry Major: Marketing
Notes: 2006 All-ABC Conference selection... All-state and all-metro... Leading rusher in school history... 2006 Missouri Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association All-State Class 3 Second Team Offense... 2004 St. Louis All-Metro Honorable Mention running back.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He is a really solid football player. We felt we needed to get one good tailback. He was one of the guys we really were after, so we’re excited to get him. He’s got a little bit of time to develop. It’s good to have one solid running back in each class, and he’s our guy there.

• TAYLOR PIERCE (Wentzville, Mo.) - Wide Receiver, 6-2, 185 lb.
High School: Wentzville Holt Head Coach: Chris Shields Parents: Jeff & Laurel Pierce Major: Undecided
Notes: 2005 All-State Class 4 First Team... All-metro second team as a junior... All-Gateway Athletic Conference two-time selection... As a junior, ranked third in the GAC with 1,010 all-purpose yards and seventh in scoring with 30 points.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He had a very good junior and senior year. His brother Jesse is a freshman quarterback here. Taylor’s a guy who we think will develop into a very good receiver.

• MATT RACKERS (Jefferson City, Mo.) - Offensive Lineman, 6-3, 240 lb.
High School: Helias Head Coach: Chris Hentges Parents: Mark & Chris Rackers Major: Business
Notes: 2006 all-district selection.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He is a guy who we look at as maybe a little bit of a project. He’s a guy who will develop. He has a great work ethic and great attitude.

• JAKE SOY (Durant, Iowa) - Wide Receiver, 6-3, 200 lb.
High School: Durant Head Coach: Tom McCleery Parents: Chris Soy & Holly Cherveny Major: Business Management
Notes: 2006 Des Moines Sunday Register Class 2A First Team Defense... Two-time all-district first team and all-state first team... Iowa Newspaper Association All-State Third Team running back... Third player in school history to rush over 1,000 yards in a season (1,032) and he averaged 10+ yards per carry... Posted over 2,000 all-purpose yards... Helped team advance to first-ever playoff appearance as a senior... 2005 Quad City Times All-Eastern Player at defensive back... 2006 Class 2A All-Southwest District Second Team in baseball (outfielder) ... 2006 Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Basketball All-Conference First Team ... Participant in the 100-meter & 200-meter events.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He’s an outstanding athlete. He’s a very good basketball player as well as a football player. He’s got a great vertical and runs very well. We need another big receiver, so we’re excited about getting him.

• TONY TAYLOR (Blue Springs, Mo.) - Defensive Lineman, 6-1, 193 lb.
High School: Blue Springs South Head Coach: Greg Oder Parents: Edward & Tammy Buckner Major: Accounting
Notes: 2006 Kansas City Area Defensive Player of the Year... First team all-state... All-810 First Team Defense... All-Big 7 Suburban Conference First Team Defense... Missouri Football Coaches’ Association Class 6 Defense... Part of Class 6 champions as a senior.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: One of the real outstanding defensive players in Kansas City. He’s a little bit undersized right now, and we don’t know where he’ll end up. We hate to say he’s too small to play defensive end because he wasn’t in high school. We’ll find out, but we know he’s a real solid football player. He’s going to really help us. He was a teammate of Willie Horn, who was one of our outstanding freshman this year.

• TOMMY WARREN (Omaha, Neb.) - Cornerback/Wide Receiver, 5-11, 180 lb.
High School: North Head Coach: Larry Martin Parents: Tom & Aileen Warren Major: Business
Notes: Member of the all-state second team... All-metro pick at defensive back by the Omaha World Herald... AP All-State Honorable Mention selected by the Associated Press... Named Super State Honorable Mention by the Lincoln Star Journal... Won first place at state competition in the 4x100-meter and 4x400-meter relay teams.
Comments from Tjeerdsma: He has great speed and is a great athlete who plays all three sports. He was a state champ in the 400-meter and 4x100-meter and 4x400-meter relays last year in Nebraska. He will run track. He’s also an outstanding basketball player. Could play corner or receiver, but right now we think he’s going to be a receiver.

Mecca
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
USC is doing some weird stuff today. they signed marc tyler, joe mcknight, and broderick green for the same position. how many RB's do we need ?

Plus there's Gable and 5* player from last year Stefon Johnson. Whoever is the best will play that's how Pete does things but I suspect not all of them were recruited to be RB's. Alot of times a teams best player is the RB then will switch positions in college......

Hell we wanted that kid that went to OU last year..DeMarco Murray I think was his name he's a RB at OU and was at high school.....SC wanted him as a DB.

88TG88
02-07-2007, 07:54 PM
i heard gable is the one SC might turn into a DB. i also heard mcknight is the next PR/KR tkaing the job from desmond

SCTrojan
02-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Plus there's Gable and 5* player from last year Stefon Johnson. Whoever is the best will play that's how Pete does things but I suspect not all of them were recruited to be RB's. Alot of times a teams best player is the RB then will switch positions in college......

Hell we wanted that kid that went to OU last year..DeMarco Murray I think was his name he's a RB at OU and was at high school.....SC wanted him as a DB.

Not to mention Chauncey Washington and Emmanuel Moody.

I suspect it has to do with signing different types of backs who fulfill different roles. Green is a big, power back, McKnight the game breaker who can make plays in the passing game and Tyler is a combo back.

In the end, none of the guys from last year provided us with a consistent running game.

Sully
02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Anyone know where that big OT from Blue SPrings signed?

LiL stumppy
02-07-2007, 08:14 PM
If your talking about Donald Stephenson, he signed with OU.

Sully
02-07-2007, 08:15 PM

That's the guy.
Thanks.

Mecca
02-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Not to mention Chauncey Washington and Emmanuel Moody.

I suspect it has to do with signing different types of backs who fulfill different roles. Green is a big, power back, McKnight the game breaker who can make plays in the passing game and Tyler is a combo back.

In the end, none of the guys from last year provided us with a consistent running game.

It hurt when Johnson who was the higest rated of the bunch got in the dog house and couldn't get on the field.

SCTrojan
02-07-2007, 08:42 PM
It hurt when Johnson who was the higest rated of the bunch got in the dog house and couldn't get on the field.

That was the rumor rattling around the USC message boards. I guess it is as likely an explanation as any other for him not playing last year. The few plays I did see him in on, you could tell he was talented.

We missed out on some guys that I would have liked to get - like Austin and Wilson - but I think we did very well for ourselves with this class.

Don't forget the Damian Williams transfer from Arkansas.

El Jefe
02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Jumping in this conversation late but Ohio State had a sucky signing day. We lost our best recruit who verbally committed to us jumped ship for Florida. I dont think those bastards should be able to do that. We were ranked 19th going into today LOL. But Jim T is more than capable of making people into stars.

Chief Roundup
02-07-2007, 08:50 PM
anybody know where Arkansas' class ranks.

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
SC pulled off a VERY nice class. Although it's somewhat unbalanced at first glance (#1, #2 RBs plus another) they are all high quality players.

Looking at the final rankings it's just sick how high of quality and competitive the SEC is.

Rivals has 7 SEC schools in the top 10 recruiting classes. Florida #1 :D

Scout has 5 SEC schools in the top 10 and 7 in the top 20. Florida #1 :D

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
anybody know where Arkansas' class ranks.

30 on Rivals
33 on Scout

El Jefe
02-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah SC got a real nice class coming in.

Chief Roundup
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
30 on Rivals
33 on Scout

Ewwww.
Thanks a lot Nutt.

DaKCMan AP
Jumping in this conversation late but Ohio State had a sucky signing day. We lost our best recruit who verbally committed to us jumped ship for Florida. I dont think those bastards should be able to do that. We were ranked 19th going into today LOL. But Jim T is more than capable of making people into stars.

Ohio St. took it in the ass recruiting wise. They lost out on many of their top prospects to multiple schools. And as far as losing the recruit to us, that would be your 4th loss to FL in the last 2 months, wouldn't it? LMAO

Chief Roundup
30 on Rivals
33 on Scout

Oh and thank you for the info Da

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Ewwww.
Thanks a lot Nutt.

Not only that, but the defections of Williams and (possibly) Mustain hurt.

SCTrojan
02-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Not only that, but the defections of Williams and (possibly) Mustain hurt.

That's why I think that while it's fun to rate recruiting classes on signing day, you can't truly get a sense of how good it is until two or three years afterward.

We lost two guys to transfer from last year's class - Antwine Perez and Walker Lee Ashley. So no one is immune from it.

I think the surprises today were North Carolina (good) and Notre Dame (bad).

Just goes to show you that it's never over with regard to signing day. An early signing period might help with that, IMO.

DaKCMan AP
02-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Just goes to show you that it's never over with regard to signing day. An early signing period might help with that, IMO.

It's called early enrollment. Florida had a mindboggling 9 commits enrolled in school taking classes the day of the National Championship game and they're now participating in all team activities and workouts .

The previous year we had some early enrollees as well, including Tim Tebow.

Mecca
02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
That's why I think that while it's fun to rate recruiting classes on signing day, you can't truly get a sense of how good it is until two or three years afterward.

We lost two guys to transfer from last year's class - Antwine Perez and Walker Lee Ashley. So no one is immune from it.

Perez just knows he'll never get on the field at SC, recruiting wise he was ranked ahead of Taylor Mays. Then when they played he wasn't better and quickly realised he had 3 safeties ahead of him....

Jenson71
02-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Bearcat Football Signs 26 in 2007 Recruiting Class

Well, look at all those Business majors.

Reaper16
02-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Well, look at all those Business majors.
It's a popular choice.

HolmeZz
02-08-2007, 01:03 AM

Notre Dame just lost Little today. Trattou left because they're switching to a 3-4. I think Ohio State was a much bigger disappointment.

Mecca
02-08-2007, 05:26 AM
ESPN is ranking USC as the #1 class because quality over quantity.

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 07:33 AM
ESPN is ranking USC as the #1 class because quality over quantity.

Scout, Rivals >>>>>>>> ESPN when it comes to recruiting.

If you look at ESPN's rankings it's pretty laughable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/espn150?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespn150

If you want to hang your hat on that, go right ahead.

Everson Griffen #30???
Chad Jones not even in the top-100 and a bunch of safetys ahead of him??
Deonte Thompson the 8th WR??

A lot of garbage in ESPN's rankings. Although, I'm not surprised. They seem to be wrong a lot when it comes to college ball. ;)

Mecca
02-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Well either way Florida had alot more scholarships to offer than we did.......If you calculate the Point Per Commit, USC = 242, Florida = 204, and LSU sinks to a 165 (also what ND has).
Bottom line: USC quality per commit is greater.

We'd be 1 if we could have signed 27 players.....our average stars are higher than any one elses at well over 4.....either way it's still a high quality class that has 3-4 top 10 guys depending on what you look at.

Not to mention pulling the top player out of Cali, Arizona, Michigan, Louisiana and Arkansas.

Saulbadguy
02-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Florida must have had a higher salary cap than U$C this time around. That is unusual.

Mecca
02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Florida must have had a higher salary cap than U$C this time around. That is unusual.

Nah......just more scholarships we had a ton of guys come back and are a young team in general only had 18 to sign this year.....couldn't pull out the 27 or 30 like Florida or Tennessee.

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Well either way Florida had alot more scholarships to offer than we did.......If you calculate the Point Per Commit, USC = 242, Florida = 204, and LSU sinks to a 165 (also what ND has).
Bottom line: USC quality per commit is greater.

We'd be 1 if we could have signed 27 players.....our average stars are higher than any one elses at well over 4.....either way it's still a high quality class that has 3-4 top 10 guys depending on what you look at.

Not to mention pulling the top player out of Cali, Arizona, Michigan, Louisiana and Arkansas.

It depends how you look at it. You signed 18, we signed 27. On scout, your avg star rating = 4.39. If you take our best 18/27, the star rating = 4.56. Having just as good a top 18 as you guys, adding another 9 recruits certainly can't hurt us.

Even on rivals your 18 have avg star rating of 4.22. If you take our top 18, our star rating is 4.22. We have your quality, we just have quantity too.

Mecca
02-08-2007, 08:27 AM
It depends how you look at it. You signed 18, we signed 27. On scout, your avg star rating = 4.39. If you take our best 18/27, the star rating = 4.56. Having just as good a top 18 as you guys, adding another 9 recruits certainly can't hurt us.

Even on rivals your 18 have avg star rating of 4.22. If you take our top 18, our star rating is 4.22. We have your quality, we just have quantity too.

I mean obviously they're both excellent classes, you guys benefit from the major falls of Miami and FSU but of course now every other school is down there trying to benefit from that also.

But here's my question to you....obviously you can't get every single player on the field at once.....2 of your top rated recruits are QB's one of which doesn't even fit your system....how does that really help?

Saulbadguy
02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
how does that really help?
How does it really hurt?

Mecca
02-08-2007, 08:32 AM
How does it really hurt?

When you have 3 QB's on your roster that go Soph, Fresh, Fresh one of which doesn't fit your system and they're all 5-4 star guys your looking at guys getting pissed and 1-2 transfers....

I just don't understand recruiting a pocket QB when you run a ****ing spread option.

Saulbadguy
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
When you have 3 QB's on your roster that go Soph, Fresh, Fresh one of which doesn't fit your system and they're all 5-4 star guys your looking at guys getting pissed and 1-2 transfers....

I just don't understand recruiting a pocket QB when you run a ****ing spread option.
When you have the buying power of U$C or Florida, you just buy another one if someone transfers.

Mecca
02-08-2007, 08:34 AM
When you have the buying power of U$C or Florida, you just buy another one if someone transfers.

Win and contend for a NC every year you'll get players too......

Saulbadguy
02-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Win and contend for a NC every year you'll get players too......
Yep. A home for your family doesn't hurt either.

Saulbadguy
02-08-2007, 08:38 AM
He got in trouble for stealing a car. He'll fight right in at Blow U.

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I mean obviously they're both excellent classes, you guys benefit from the major falls of Miami and FSU but of course now every other school is down there trying to benefit from that also.

But here's my question to you....obviously you can't get every single player on the field at once.....2 of your top rated recruits are QB's one of which doesn't even fit your system....how does that really help?

The same way 2 of your top rated recruits are RB especially when you're already stacked at RB. It helps because going into this year we only had Tim Tebow on our roster. We needed depth at QB. We brought in a 3-star JUCO to give immediate depth. Cam Newton will probably play this season and will get some snaps (kind of like Tebow did this past season). Brantley will most likely redshirt. Then, when Tebow is gone, Newton/Brantley will battle it out or share time kind of like Leak/Tebow. This coaching staff builds its system around its players talents. They liken Brantley to kind of an Alex Smith when he arrived at Utah. Give them a year to work with him while he redshirts, and then we'll see how he does. ;)

This class is great on talent, just as USC's is. USC's fills some of their needs and our class fills our major holes perfectly. We had major need on D-Line and we got 4 outstanding DE's and 2 spectacular DT's. We're thin at LB and we got 1 WLB, 1MLB and 1 SLB. We needed secondary and safety help, and we got 2CBs and 3 S's. We have struggled at RB for quite some time and we got 2 nice recruits there. Always need OL and we have 3 excellent guards. WR is just reloading, we're already stacked there.

Mecca
02-08-2007, 08:44 AM
The USC back situation is odd......Honestly this is what I'm expecting for now. Stefon Johnson, Joe McKnight and Emmanual Moody are the 3 main backs who see carries....Chauncey Washington is the scrub garbage time back.

CJ Gable ends up in the secondary because that was basically where they wanted to put him when they recruited him..... Marc Tyler redshirts due to the injury he had at the end of his high school season and then Broderick Green is basically a wildcard.

Maybe we'll get that Florida SC game one of these days....

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Ewwww.
Thanks a lot Nutt.

Did you honestly expect better?

Archie Bunker
02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
KCStar articles...

MU

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16648278.htm

KSU

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16648294.htm

KU

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16648292.htm

KC area

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16648290.htm

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Ferentz seems pretty pissed of at Charlie Weis and ND today.

In a news conference, Weiss was whining about unfair recruiting practices, and "committment" not meaning anything and other teams leaving thier verbal committs alone....and in the next breath, announced their top recruit as a DE they stole from Iowa late in the game.

Apparently ND has made late runs at 5 of Iowa's top recruits the past 2 years......3 this year.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Ferentz seems pretty pissed of at Charlie Weis and ND today.

In a news conference, Weiss was whining about unfair recruiting practices, and "committment" not meaning anything and other teams leaving thier verbal committs alone....and in the next breath, announced their top recruit as a DE they stole from Iowa late in the game.

Apparently ND has made late runs at 5 of Iowa's top recruits the past 2 years......3 this year.

They got Brian Smith to change his commit to ND from Iowa, but he is an OLB I believe. Not sure who the DE would be, but ND's top recruit was a QB.

And yeah, seeing Charlie Weiss opine about "committment" was hilarious. Hypocrite.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 10:43 AM
This is pretty funny shit from the Washington Post, considering Weis' soapbox speech about committment on the Colin Cowherd show...

Throughout his junior school year, Benn said he had considered Notre Dame his top choice, but when he felt as though the Fighting Irish coaching staff was putting too much pressure on him to commit he stopped considering the school. Once Benn orally committed to Illinois, Notre Dame assistant Peter Vaas continued to pepper Benn with text messages and voice mails, some of which Benn provided to The Post:

"FYI, ILL is telling Robert Hughes that they will build their offense around him? Didn't they tell you that?

Coach Vaas," Vaas wrote Benn on Dec. 17.

Earlier that month, Vaas left this voice message on Benn's phone: "You don't want to do anything except bury your head in the sand. . . . I guess you're not tough enough to compete at the big level."

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Cheeseburger Charlie is a joke.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I think they definitely have to curtail the use of text messages as a recruiting tool...

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
The "texting" was one of the specific things Ferentz was calling out today.

Maybe the Hawks can just go the USC route and build a set of condos to give to the families of top recruits. "bush acres".

I'll bet the gators are giving complimentary Disneyland season passes in addition.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 11:26 AM
The "texting" was one of the specific things Ferentz was calling out today.

Good.

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
I'll bet the gators are giving complimentary Disneyland season passes in addition.

Disneyland is in California :p

Dartgod
02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
[emily litella]What's all this fuss about a National Singing Day?

Why do we have to have a special day just to sing? I like to sing a lot and don't understand why I now can only do it on a special day. It's as if our politicians don't have enough to do that now they have to dictate when I can and cannot sing!

What? National SIGNING Day?

Oh, that's quite different............Never mind.[/emily litella]

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/zwoof/emily_litella.jpg

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I think they definitely have to curtail the use of text messages as a recruiting tool...

As of now there aren't any restrictions on texting, and therefore I don't see any problem with it. Until there are, it's fair game, IMO.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
As of now there aren't any restrictions on texting, and therefore I don't see any problem with it. Until there are, it's fair game, IMO.

That's a bogus argument and it's not the point.

There SHOULD BE restrictions on text messages, because they're being used to circumvent the rules regarding telephone calls.

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
That's a bogus argument and it's not the point.

There SHOULD BE restrictions on text messages, because they're being used to circumvent the rules regarding telephone calls.

As long as there AREN'T restrictions, they are legal.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
As long as there AREN'T restrictions, they are legal.

That's NOT THE POINT.

I'm not arguing that they're illegal.

I'm arguing that they SHOULD BE.

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see what Florida and USC's recruiting classes would look like, if each of the incoming players had to actually be able to read at a 10th grade level.

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd like to see what Florida and USC's recruiting classes would look like, if each of the incoming players had to actually be able to read at a 10th grade level.

Yeah, great point. Especially when you consider that both schools academics are higher ranked than Iowa.

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Whats' florduh's graduation rate of the football team?

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Whats' florduh's graduation rate of the football team?

80 percent

Bob Dole
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Referencing the comments early on about the mind-changers, Bob Dole thought this bit about one of our local school's recruits in the local paper was refreshing.

(Brandon) Tolbert, a 6-foot, 190-pounder who converted from the defensive line as a junior to linebacker, stuck with Rice although the coaches who recruited him tried to lure him away to their new school, Tulsa.

“I had made my verbal agreement to Rice, and I was going to keep it,” he said.

Source (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2007/02/08/local_news/sports/sports01.txt)

DaKCMan AP
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
That's NOT THE POINT.

I'm not arguing that they're illegal.

I'm arguing that they SHOULD BE.

Fair enough.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that NO text messages should be allowed. They just need to be reigned in and regulated, like telephone calls, etc.

Right now kids are getting bombarded with ONE-WAY messages (I have a problem with recruiting contact not being interactive, it doesn't give the kid any chance to respond, ie. SPAM) at all hours of the day, including while they're IN CLASS trying to learn something.

Swanman
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
This is pretty funny shit from the Washington Post, considering Weis' soapbox speech about committment on the Colin Cowherd show...

Throughout his junior school year, Benn said he had considered Notre Dame his top choice, but when he felt as though the Fighting Irish coaching staff was putting too much pressure on him to commit he stopped considering the school. Once Benn orally committed to Illinois, Notre Dame assistant Peter Vaas continued to pepper Benn with text messages and voice mails, some of which Benn provided to The Post:

"FYI, ILL is telling Robert Hughes that they will build their offense around him? Didn't they tell you that?

Coach Vaas," Vaas wrote Benn on Dec. 17.

Earlier that month, Vaas left this voice message on Benn's phone: "You don't want to do anything except bury your head in the sand. . . . I guess you're not tough enough to compete at the big level."

Another funny story about ND is a few days before Martez Wilson was going to verbal to Illinois (according to all the experts, his verballing to Illinois was a foregone conclusion at that point), Fat Bastard showed up to his high school without an invitation with the entire ND coaching staff to try to persuade/intimidate him into choosing ND. Notre Dame fans are beside themselves that they are losing recruits to the lowly Illini.

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 08:28 AM
How do you win so many national Championships? The Denver Bronco way......Cheat.

"Yo man, I can buy my mama her own house now, USC says they'll give her house to your mama if you go there"-Reggie

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6457708?MSNHPHMA

Valiant
02-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Is it anything like all the coaches that jump ship for money and different programs after recruiting those kids.. Those coaches made a commitment to stay there and coach those kids...

Damn coaches need to grow up and take the lesser opportunity for them and not more money elsewhere...

Archie Bunker
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM

This is why I don't get upset about recruits changing their minds

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16657547.htm

Recruits turned away
K-State is an example of how oral commitments carry no guarantees.
By HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star
New Jersey high school running back Adonis Thomas learned what has to be the toughest lesson about making an early oral commitment.

Thomas agreed months ago to play for Kansas State.

So why did he sign Wednesday with Toledo instead?

“An offer is good as long as they like you or until somebody takes your spot,” recruiting analyst Allen Wallace of Scout.com said Thursday. “It’s kind of unrealistic to expect 100 percent of the schools that are recruiting will continue to think a certain guy is going to be right for them.

“That’s a tough situation for everybody because the college can be subjected to bad press, but the school is pretty much obligated to turn a player away if it has doubts he’s going to be successful there.”

What made it tough for Thomas, according to his high school coach, Altarik White, was when K-State informed Thomas he was no longer part of its plans — telling him so late in the process.

“They called last Friday,” White said. “They (K-State coaches) didn’t think he would make it academically, which I didn’t agree with. But he’s got a school now, and it will work out.”

K-State coach Ron Prince could not be reached for this story.

Thomas’ story, though, isn’t an isolated incident, Wallace said.

“It happens,” he said. “A college may see other kids that are better or see later film of a kid (long after he made his oral commitment) and they see something that might change their mind.”

That might have been the case with two K-State players who made oral commitments. They are, however, still pegged to go to K-State. Only they will have to wait to go on scholarship because theirs went to others.

They, too, were told within the last couple of weeks about their situations.

One is Marysville, Kan., offensive lineman Kaleb Drinkgern. He was informed that weight was an issue, Marysville coach Brad Hammett said. Drinkgern has lost about 30 pounds and is down to 230. That was an issue for K-State, which plans to grayshirt Drinkgern, meaning he’ll pay his own way to school in the fall before going on scholarship for the second semester.

“He’s still excited, but at first he was a little upset,” Hammett said. “K-State believes it’s just the best thing for him.”

The same goes for Jayson Cuba, listed as an athlete out of Newton, Kan. He was the very first player to give an oral commitment to the 2007 class on Feb. 1, 2006, but that didn’t guarantee him a scholarship for the upcoming season. It has much to do with shoulder surgery that Cuba needed.

“It stung a little bit (being told he was being asked to grayshirt) because I wanted to go in with the guys I committed with,” Cuba said Thursday. “Sure it hurt. But maybe this will be the best thing because the rehabilitation process will take longer than was expected.”

Cuba could have signed with another school, but he believed K-State’s offer would stand. Newton coach Brent Glann said Cuba received interest from Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma after he committed to K-State, but he told those schools he was solidly committed to K-State.

“We made a decision we would cut off the other schools,” Glann said. “When they called in the spring, we said we were firm about it.”

This situation raises a question: Did K-State get bit by amassing oral commitments early in the process, which created a lack of available scholarships late in the process?

The Wildcats, according to Rivals.com in May 2006, had 13 oral commitments for the 2007 class. That was second most in the Big 12 to Texas’ 19. Nationally, eventual national champion Florida had four at that point. The Gators, though, were pretty much a unanimous choice as ending up with the No. 1 recruiting class.

“Penn State eventually ran into troublesome times by offering a lot of kids incredibly early,” Wallace said. As for Thomas, White said he would have preferred he not made a choice so early because it might have helped avoid what happened last week.

“I advise my kids not to commit as juniors,” White said, “because (college) coaches come and go, and you never know who’ll end up there. This with Kansas State could have been disastrous if Adonis had not gotten another scholarship.”

Sam Hall
02-09-2007, 10:50 AM
“They called last Friday,” White said. “They (K-State coaches) didn’t think he would make it academically, which I didn’t agree with. But he’s got a school now, and it will work out.”

Based on what I've seen over the last couple years, academic issues are the main reason a school would pull a schollie. It looks like KSU didn't manage their class very well, though.

88TG88
02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6457708?MSNHPHMA
Raiduhs