PDA

View Full Version : I am filled with a profound sense of sadness

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
As I load my dirt bikes up one last time to take them down to the shop and have them gone through. It looks as though I have sold them but I never really wanted to. You see I love riding about as much as anything in life. The problem is these environmentalist liberal POS that run this state have shut down everything out here and I must drive hours just to find a place to ride. As I get closer to the shop the sadness I am feeling begins to be replaced with rage as to why this is so. I unload the bikes with the owner then go inside where he begins to fill out the invoice. It is 5 minutes to closing and there is a decent sized line behind me when my obvious anger shows and I begin to vent about the whole thing. The owner stops writing, puts down his pen, takes of his glasses and wipes his face in deep thought. Obviously I have touched on something. He looks and me and begins to voice his own frustration. "You know that's why I quit riding dirt bikes 2 years ago, I simply don't have the time to deal with all the shit you have to go through just to ride around here anymore" he said. "Tags, changing regulations and the long drives have become just too much. I have a business to run and a family to take care of and it really pisses me off that they have taken that away from us" He then went on to talk about where you used to be able to go riding. Apparently you used to able to ride in all the mountains out here on the peninsula that separate the Silicon Valley from the coast. You also had many other open areas and motocross tracks just 20 years ago. Everything since then has been shut down. The entire mountain range from San Francisco to San Jose has been shut down from motorcycles, dogs, guns and in many cases bicycles. They are all now banned. All the motocross tracks have also been forced to close.

I begin to worry that we are keeping the people waiting in line but they don't seem to care as they are all beginning to weigh in on the subject themselves. One of the guys lives in a house surrounded by woods. He recently bought a lab and said he had no idea when he got it the massive amount of restrictions placed on the areas where he can even take it. He decided to walk it anyway early in the morning only to met with dirty looks and some have even pulled out their cells in an effort to contact the ranger and have him kicked out of the mountains for walking his lab puppy up there. By the time we're done and the owner has picked his pen back up started filling out the invoice again 20 minutes has passed and the place has been closed for 15 minutes. As he gives me my copy everyone shakes my hand and I head back out to my truck. I feel better briefly as I realize I am not alone in my plight but that is soon replaced with the reality and sadness of knowing I will still be giving up my bikes.

As I wake up this morning the subject is still on my mind as I flip on the TV to catch up on the markets and news before I take my shower and go to work. Channel 2 news is talking about the proposed new legislation that would outlaw talking on your cell phone while walking on the sidewalk as apparently two Darwin Award prospects were not paying attention to where they were walking while talking on their cells and have been hit by cars. This reminds me of the countless millions we have spent out here putting up railing around our train stations in an effort to slow down the track suicide rate. Of course it hasn't worked. It also reminds me of the proposed bizzillion dollar bill that would put a suicide prevention net on the Golden Gate bridge which we all know won't work either which leads me to a question. Why must we constantly cater to the lowest common denominator while the tons of hard working tax payers like myself are forced to give up the things we love the most? Why are there zero dollars of our own money set aside for us?

One more question for all you motorcycle riders out there. Am I the only one that gets this profound sense of sadness every time I have to sell a bike?

Thanks for listening.

BIG DADDY

The Franchise
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
My brother rides dirtbikes and he feels the same way. We live up in Vacaville and he has to drive hours away just to go ride. I don't think he'll ever sell them though...he loves it too much. And he refuses to give up because everyone in the world has to bitch about something.

I'm tired of all of this crap.....if you're stupid enough to die doing something dumb...then the world obviously needed to be cleansed of you.

el borracho
02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Have less kids- it's the answer to everything.

Reaper16
02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
If your son came to you and told you he was an aspiring legislator and wanted you to help him get his career off and running what would be your answer and how would it affect your relationship?

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I haven't sold mine yet....but I didn't start it once last year. We've got our own track and a hundred acre timber of private trails.

My problems have more to do with new family responsibilies and an older body tiring of being hurt.

Move to Iowa, but keep your man killer chained up.

You'll like it here.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
If your son came to you and told you he was an aspiring legislator and wanted you to help him get his career off and running what would be your answer and how would it affect your relationship?

In California? He might as well as me for the money to get a sex change. LMAO

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I haven't sold mine yet....but I didn't start it once last year. We've got our own track and a hundred acre timber of private trails.

My problems have more to do with new family responsibilies and an older body tiring of being hurt.

You'll like it here.

How old are you?

One of the answers may be to move a couple hours out of here when the business gets big enough and only work M-W here and the other two at home.

NewChief
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM

No freaking kidding. Everytime I see Big Daddy go on another one of his tirades against the injustices of nanny government, I can't help but wonder why he persists in living in California.

Sully
02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
If I have no response to this, is it because I'm PC, or because I just don't give a shit?

patteeu
02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
You could get into some kind of transgendered nightlife scene. You probably don't need to drive too far for that.

Redrum_69
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I cant imagine living in Iowa.

Whats it like up there...I've only driven through the state.

I have alot of relatives up there though, but we dont keep in contact enough. Hell Iowanian...I may be related to you...

kepp
02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
That type of stuff is one of the reasons I moved my family away from CA. i used to mt bike all the time in the Santa Monica Mts. People were always trying to put restrictions on where you could ride what and when you could do it. CA is going down a bad road.

Ecto-I
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
One more question for all you motorcycle riders out there. Am I the only one that gets this profound sense of sadness every time I have to sell a bike?

Thanks for listening.

BIG DADDY

I used to own a killer <a href="http://dailyremedy.blogspot.com/2007/02/moped-madness.html"> Moped</a> that I had to sell when I moved to San Diego, and it killed me to let go of it! I know how you feel.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:22 PM
No freaking kidding. Everytime I see Big Daddy go on another one of his tirades against the injustices of nanny government, I can't help but wonder why he persists in living in California.

Because my business is based in the Silicon Valley and it can't move. It is one of those businesses that could take care of me for life in the next 10 years if everything works out. Don't get me wrong there are things I really love about California but there are things I truly despise as well. Things are going this direction all over the country just not as fast as they are here. There is something to the saying, first in California then the rest of the country. This pussification thing is a national issue not just a California issue as is this catering to the lowest common denominator. Everyone is worried about the enemy from the ouside in this country while I am much more worried about the enemy within.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
If I have no response to this, is it because I'm PC, or because I just don't give a shit?

Most PC people don't give a shit because this is the direction they want us to go. Does that answer your question?

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
You could get into some kind of transgendered nightlife scene. You probably don't need to drive too far for that.

Thanks patteeu, I feel much better now. :shake:

Bwana
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I feel your pain. Even out here there are useless ****ing tree hugging hippy shitheads that have managed to get some shut down. Where I do a lot of my ATVing up by Cooke City, MT up by the park a lot of them have closed. I got into a pissing match with some hippy douche bag last year on an ATV trail. I was riding up the trail and as I went past, he yelled out FU*K YOU! Me thinking there is NOTHING lower than a hippy tree hugger decided to pull over. "WTF did you say" I asked him as I got off my ATV? "Nothing man" he said. "Really, I thought I heard a **** You!"

He starts going off on a rant about how he was upset that ATV's were allowed on the trail. (He and his hairy girlfriend were from CA BTW) I explained to the granola cruncher that 90% of the trails in the area were closed to motorized vehicles and that if he chose to hike on one of the 10% that were not, he had no room to bitch. he started going off again about the evils of ATV's and I told him that I didn't have time to spend talking to a ****ing tree hugger when I could be catch fish and smashing down wild flowers with my Polaris 700. :)

I tore off leaving him ducking for cover as giant mud clods spun off my tires. The look on his face was priceless.

plbrdude
02-08-2007, 12:28 PM
it's a crazy mixed up world we live in. i think government decides to ban or outlaw so much because of the insane legal action taken by so many people. sad thing is you can't protect some people from their own stupidity, hence normal people usually pay the price.

El Jefe
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Ohio is no where even close to regulations of that kind. Ohio you can do all types of stuff if you live in the country.

way2kalm
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
This issue has been brought to you by the same state that is going to ban spanking! I do consider myself a democart (at times) but I'm sorry, California is WAY too damn liberal for this midwestern raised man. Although Cali is a nice place to visit I would never live there. I'm sorry the issue you have to deal with, but hey, you can always move to Missouri, we have plenty of places to ride your bike!

StcChief
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
That type of stuff is one of the reasons I moved my family away from CA. i used to mt bike all the time in the Santa Monica Mts. People were always trying to put restrictions on where you could ride what and when you could do it. CA is going down a bad road.

another reason why NOT TO MOVE TO CALI. in the first place.

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
How old are you?

One of the answers may be to move a couple hours out of here when the business gets big enough and only work M-W here and the other two at home.

I'm not that old, but I've hurt myself alot, and its really caught up with me the past couple of years. The dirtbike thing has been fun, and I really enjoyed it. It was getting pretty damn competative between yunghungwell, my brothers, some cousins and a friend who also rides superbikes on the circuit.....people were getting hurt. 1 summer, I dislocated a shoulder and blew my knee, yung broke his arm, my brother tore up his shoulder among other things....thats just riding with our group...not racing in events.

I've been driven over by a van, stomped by a cow, stomped by bulls, car wrecks, drove demo derbies for several years, dislocated an elbow working with MMA guys, the shoulder, the knee, wrestling wounds among other things. This time of year, I'm really feeling it now. Its time to slow down.

As for Iowania....Its probably not for everyone, but I love it here. The people are genuine for the most part, alot of open land and parks, my family is here, available hunting & fishing, less restrictions on things like dirtbikes(though you do have to register bikes for $5 to ride public DNR parks). I don't need malls or fancy restaraunts to entertain me, but I can find them within an hours drive if I need them. You'd better like cold and hot though.

kepp
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
another reason why NOT TO MOVE TO CALI. in the first place.
True enough

Hydrae
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
BD, when are you going to finally decide you have had enough an get involved in the government and try to straighten out the mess? It is all fine and dandy to vent here but it will accomplish nothing in the long run, as you know.

You may think I am just taking a shot at you as others have done but I am completely serious. You obviously have strong feelings on several subjects and would bring a passion that is needed. Also, as shown in your OP, you are good with others and in explaining to a group where things stand. I think you could do yourself and your fellow Californians a favor if you got into the works, no better way to put a wrench in the works than if you are there!

boogblaster
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Yea little places left to ride bikes here in Kansas unless you moto-cross..lots of those tracks..in the 70s we used to ride every where..but like you said hardly any cross-country riding left..

Archie F. Swin
02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
I have this feeling that if "dirt biking" was something you did with your penis in the privacy of your own home, there would be some sort of public assembly you could take part in Saturday.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm not that old, but I've hurt myself alot, and its really caught up with me the past couple of years. The dirtbike thing has been fun, and I really enjoyed it. It was getting pretty damn competative between yunghungwell, my brothers, some cousins and a friend who also rides superbikes on the circuit.....people were getting hurt. 1 summer, I dislocated a shoulder and blew my knee, yung broke his arm, my brother tore up his shoulder among other things....thats just riding with our group...not racing in events.

I've been driven over by a van, stomped by a cow, stomped by bulls, car wrecks, drove demo derbies for several years, dislocated an elbow working with MMA guys, the shoulder, the knee, wrestling wounds among other things. This time of year, I'm really feeling it now. Its time to slow down.

As for Iowania....Its probably not for everyone, but I love it here. The people are genuine for the most part, alot of open land and parks, my family is here, available hunting & fishing, less restrictions on things like dirtbikes(though you do have to register bikes for $5 to ride public DNR parks). I don't need malls or fancy restaraunts to entertain me, but I can find them within an hours drive if I need them. You'd better like cold and hot though.

BTW I think you would really like my my man killer. LMAO

Dude I hate malls, that's not it. If I move out of state it will probably be to Southern Oregon in the mountains. That's where my family and aging parents are and I can pretty much do whatever a damn well please. There is California and then there are epicenters of liberalism like SF and vicinity like the Silicon Valley where I live in. California is absolutely beautiful and women here are gorgeous if you are not in the Silicon Valley. The weather is about as good as it gets. The slection of food is over the top whether your talking about retaurants or just what is available in in some of our grocers. The California coast line speaks for itself. Opportunity to make good money is the key though that keeps me here. Would love to visit some time though and toss a few back with you as long as you promise not to embarrass me too bad if we go riding. :)

I have plenty of battle wounds too and will probably pick up a street bike soon to relpace my need to ride. Hopefully some Chinese clown doesn't end up taking me out of this world. Don't even get me started on those guys.

rageeumr
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM

I have never owned a dirt bike, but I've owned two crotch rockets. My first was a '93 Katana. I owned it in '03ish. I sold it so that I could upgrade. Even though I was getting something nicer, I still felt weird selling it.

Then I bought an '02 R1, which was my baby. I absolutely loved that thing. I sold it to jump-start my house-down-payment fund. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was borderline clinically depressed for a week after I sold it.

It's weird, because I really do think that giving up the bike helped me to be disciplined enough to keep saving for the house. I didn't want to feel like I gave up the bike for nothing.

On the other hand, I know I could have still bought the house I bought without getting rid of the bike. That hurts.

I really thought at the time that I'd be back on a bike within a year of buying the house, but as you homeowners know, there's always something you need for the house. Not to mention I'm finishing my basement, which eats up any money I would save for discretionary purposes.

I'm 25 now. I know I won't make it to 30 without another bike. All it takes is a warm sunny day to get me thinking about it.......

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I feel your pain. Even out here there are useless ****ing tree hugging hippy shitheads that have managed to get some shut down. Where I do a lot of my ATVing up by Cooke City, MT up by the park a lot of them have closed. I got into a pissing match with some hippy douche bag last year on an ATV trail. I was riding up the trail and as I went past, he yelled out FU*K YOU! Me thinking there is NOTHING lower than a hippy tree hugger decided to pull over. "WTF did you say" I asked him as I got off my ATV? "Nothing man" he said. "Really, I thought I heard a **** You!"

He starts going off on a rant about how he was upset that ATV's were allowed on the trail. (He and his hairy girlfriend were from CA BTW) I explained to the granola cruncher that 90% of the trails in the area were closed to motorized vehicles and that if he chose to hike on one of the 10% that were not, he had no room to bitch. he started going off again about the evils of ATV's and I told him that I didn't have time to spend talking to a ****ing tree hugger when I could be catch fish and smashing down wild flowers with my Polaris 700. :)

I tore off leaving him ducking for cover as giant mud clods spun off my tires. The look on his face was priceless.

ROFL NICE!!!! At least all he did was yell at you, out here they try and decapitate you. Remember the article I posted a couple years back about them tying a piano wire between two trees? Of course they will never get in your face, they are all bunch bloody bloxes.

90% of your trails are losed to motorized vehicles in Montana? Friggen amazing. Like I said it's not a California thing it's a national problem. These hippy types need to be shown the ft end of a baseball bat but unfortunately they are probably our future if we continue to stay on this path. We are slowly becoming the Eurofags we so ademetly detest. No wonder the Muslim countries feel they have a chance.

BTW I would love to come out there one of these days either on a Harley trip or bring out lil momma as well. We will doing this baby thing the next couple years though. Something tells me we won't be doing one hell of a lot until until then.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I have this feeling that if "dirt biking" was something you did with your penis in the privacy of your own home, there would be some sort of public assembly you could take part in Saturday.

No that's different, you're talking about riding the Clay Aiken dirt trail I think. It's an American Idol thing, you tell me. :)

HemiEd
02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
BD how long have you lived in California? They have been the leader at this kind of shit for over 40 years that I am aware of.
I don't want to turn this into a Liberal bashing post but, California is what it is.

Brock
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
I suggest you move.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
BD how long have you lived in California? They have been the leader at this kind of shit for over 40 years that I am aware of.
I don't want to turn this into a Liberal bashing post but, California is what it is.

About 16 years or so.

Frosty
02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
CA is going down a bad road.

With Washington in lockstep about 10 paces behind. :cuss:

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I suggest you move.

I will eventually, money makes all things better when it comes to issues like this. If I had enough I wouldn't be here now. I gotta keep my eye on the prize though. I don't want to work my whole life. Watched the old man do that and I don't have any interest in following in those footsteps.

Brock
02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
I will eventually, money makes all things better when it comes to issues like this. If I had enough I wouldn't be here now. I gotta keep my eye on the prize though. I don't want to work my whole life. Watched the old man do that and I don't have any interest in following in those footsteps.

IMO, you could make the same money with much lower cost of living in quite a few other states, and own acreage where you can do anything you damn well please. Schwarzenegger has turned out to be a giant turd.

Archie F. Swin
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Why is biking being outlawed in these "suburban" mountain ranges?

HemiEd
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
About 16 years or so.

I commend you for being able to put up with it. Here in Suberbia, we have more laws than I can stomach much longer.
It is so refreshing when I visit Kansas, heck, they can even drink the tap water there.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
IMO, you could make the same money with much lower cost of living in quite a few other states, and own acreage where you can do anything you damn well please. Schwarzenegger has turned out to be a giant turd.

This business has too much potential right now. It's also only 6 hours away from the P's so I can see them as pops is going through his cancer thing and mom is really starting to look like life is really taking it out of her. The grand kid thing has them really invigorated though and they are going to want to see it frequently once it's born. I probably should have tried taking over the family business but that is a really hard retail is really hard and can woop the shit out of ya. Working for pops wasn't ideal either as he has always expected me to do twice th labor for half the coin.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Why is biking being outlawed in these "suburban" mountain ranges?

As in motorized or bicylces?

HonestChieffan
02-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Having spent a good deal of my career the past 30 years in the areas of resouce management, your plight is one that is horribly difficult to address. State and federal lands are managed by mandate for multiple benefit/multiple use. But overriding that are state and federal issues issolated to specific areas that prohibit certain activity.

You want a place to ride, the hiker wants to hike and not have bikes whizzing by or making noise, the naturalist wants to observe animals and he doesnt want to have atvs, trucks, off roaders, and motorized traffic taking from his use. Its a challenge that our state and federal agencies face every day and there is no "win" in this thing. Those folks may be "treehuggers" or "Enviro's" or what ever label you apply to them. But their sesire for how our lands are managed are every bit as valid as any other. They have the advantage of scientific support and or public support for thir causes that you probably do not have.

An example is a "Wilderness area". Those areas are not managed for multiple use. They have clear and very firm rules on who can do what, when, and to what extent.

In other cases there are circumstances that force state and federal agencies to halt a particular activity or use. I have been involved in the decision process on a number of these that sort of relate directly at your plight.

Example would be a fisheries issue that may revolve around a specific species in a given watershed. The fisheries experts may be under direct order to maintain and improve the breeding habitat for a given species. In doing their work they discover they have a sediment/siltation issue. After investigation, its found that the siltation is coming from runnoff off hiogher ground that may stem from multiple causes...Grazing maybe, or a road has been built and no one expected the runoff to move soil to the stream. Or its caused by an invasive weed that crowds out grasses and reduces water holding capcity and speeds erosion. Or it may be from man uses like bike riding or riding motorcycles or atvs.

In the end the fish and the stream win because that how the system works. The ultimate measure of the success of managing and maintaing the wild lands in all states is our ability to deliver on the key goals of wild land management.

That doesnt make your personal issue less of an issue to you. But the fact remains that balance is the final measure of managing peoples intrusion into wild areas be that on foot, bike, atv, motorcyle, horseback or what have you. There are areas in California that you cannot horseback in...others where you can but you cannot overnight, take in hay or leave droppings...yes no droppings...you are required by your permit to clean it up. Sounds odd to some but to manage the massive invasion of yellow star thistle into elk habitat and deer habitat, it is critical to do all steps needed to manage that threat.

I'd bet there are multiple reasons for shutting down access and not all are bad ones. We face the same issue in the Ozarks and I can assure you it will become more and more restrictive as human use increases and man creates more negative impact on wild lands and native habitat..

el borracho
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
... I can assure you it will become more and more restrictive as human use increases and man creates more negative impact on wild lands and native habitat..
Again, have less kids.

HonestChieffan
02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
US Forest Service has had over 3 years of focused work on this one specific area, among many many others, to assess and evaluate the impact on the forest ecosystem from what are refered to as "OHV"..off highway vehicals.

There is a great deal of information out ther but the Forest Services most recent study findings can help to understand where they are coming from and why..

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/OHV_final_report.pdf

The job they have is not easy and everytime they protect what someone else does not value they are held up as the enemy.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Having spent a good deal of my career the past 30 years in the areas of resouce management, your plight is one that is horribly difficult to address. State and federal lands are managed by mandate for multiple benefit/multiple use. But overriding that are state and federal issues issolated to specific areas that prohibit certain activity.

You want a place to ride, the hiker wants to hike and not have bikes whizzing by or making noise, the naturalist wants to observe animals and he doesnt want to have atvs, trucks, off roaders, and motorized traffic taking from his use. Its a challenge that our state and federal agencies face every day and there is no "win" in this thing. Those folks may be "treehuggers" or "Enviro's" or what ever label you apply to them. But their sesire for how our lands are managed are every bit as valid as any other. They have the advantage of scientific support and or public support for thir causes that you probably do not have.

An example is a "Wilderness area". Those areas are not managed for multiple use. They have clear and very firm rules on who can do what, when, and to what extent.

In other cases there are circumstances that force state and federal agencies to halt a particular activity or use. I have been involved in the decision process on a number of these that sort of relate directly at your plight.

Example would be a fisheries issue that may revolve around a specific species in a given watershed. The fisheries experts may be under direct order to maintain and improve the breeding habitat for a given species. In doing their work they discover they have a sediment/siltation issue. After investigation, its found that the siltation is coming from runnoff off hiogher ground that may stem from multiple causes...Grazing maybe, or a road has been built and no one expected the runoff to move soil to the stream. Or its caused by an invasive weed that crowds out grasses and reduces water holding capcity and speeds erosion. Or it may be from man uses like bike riding or riding motorcycles or atvs.

In the end the fish and the stream win because that how the system works. The ultimate measure of the success of managing and maintaing the wild lands in all states is our ability to deliver on the key goals of wild land management.

That doesnt make your personal issue less of an issue to you. But the fact remains that balance is the final measure of managing peoples intrusion into wild areas be that on foot, bike, atv, motorcyle, horseback or what have you. There are areas in California that you cannot horseback in...others where you can but you cannot overnight, take in hay or leave droppings...yes no droppings...you are required by your permit to clean it up. Sounds odd to some but to manage the massive invasion of yellow star thistle into elk habitat and deer habitat, it is critical to do all steps needed to manage that threat.

I'd bet there are multiple reasons for shutting down access and not all are bad ones. We face the same issue in the Ozarks and I can assure you it will become more and more restrictive as human use increases and man creates more negative impact on wild lands and native habitat..
There is a give and take to everything. They don't need to take everything. They can ride horses all over the place. No reason to shut down the fields and tracks either. I though you were an insurance salesman.

HonestChieffan
02-08-2007, 02:16 PM
OHV are tin the top 4 threats to Forest service lands...that not just motor n=bikes, its 4wd trucks and the whole lot.

Thats the magnitude of the issue and thats what drives the restrictions.

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Bd....a Trip down Memory lane

aaaaah, the good old days....200 yards from my folks' house.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
US Forest Service has had over 3 years of focused work on this one specific area, among many many others, to assess and evaluate the impact on the forest ecosystem from what are refered to as "OHV"..off highway vehicals.

There is a great deal of information out ther but the Forest Services most recent study findings can help to understand where they are coming from and why..

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/OHV_final_report.pdf

The job they have is not easy and everytime they protect what someone else does not value they are held up as the enemy.

**** that shit it's just an excuse. Let me give you a couple examples. There are 2 places you could walk or run your dog around here in some hills. One was by a salt flat. They were all concerned about some ****ing rat until they wanted to build a golf course there.

The second is a really nice place but they want to ban them there too now because the POS rangers say the dogs are attracting mountain lions. Give me a break. I cornered one of them up there and he said he personally didn't agree with that at all but not having dogs made their job easier. He also said he would deny it if I quoted him.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM

SWEET!!!!

Bwana
02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
90% of your trails are losed to motorized vehicles in Montana? Friggen amazing.

We will doing this baby thing the next couple years though. Something tells me we won't be doing one hell of a lot until until then.No just in that area. I'll tell you what though, It's wise to keep a close eye on some of these groups becuase there are a lot of them that would love to see a ban on all trails for all motorized vehicles. Some of the cock smoking hippy groups are even against horses being on any trail. :shake: To bad they don't sell "tree hugger tags" over the counter. I would buy as many as I could and damn sure get my limit.

What's up with the baby thing? I haven't posted much and must have missed something. :)

Calcountry
02-08-2007, 02:45 PM
This reminds me of the countless millions we have spent out here putting up railing around our train stations in an effort to slow down the track suicide rate. Of course it hasn't worked. It also reminds me of the proposed bizzillion dollar bill that would put a suicide prevention net on the Golden Gate bridge which we all know won't work either which leads me to a question
BIG DADDY Is it any wonder, that liberals, yes, the peninsula is PWNED by liberal Nancy Pelosi, think they can pass legislation to fix global warming. If it does indeed exist.

Bwana
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Heh! I remember that shot.........nice.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 02:51 PM
What's up with the baby thing? I haven't posted much and must have missed something. :)

Funny, just a few minutes ago I got off the phone with Rina. She had her last period in October so we thought she was just at 2 months. Turns out she had conceived the month before that. She is 4 months along. They just did all the tests on her today. Turns out it's looking like I am going to have a healthy son here around June 29th. It will be the only grandchild in our family and we are naming him after pops. Whole family is stoked right now. :)

Gives Taz someone to play with. Hopefully he is a maniac.

Bwana
02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Funny, just a few minutes ago I got off the phone with Rina. She had her last period in October so we thought she was just at 2 months. Turns out she had conceived the month before that. She is 4 months along. They just did all the tests on her today. Turns out it's looking like I am going to have a healthy son here around June 29th. It will be the only grandchild in our family and we are naming him after pops. Whole family is stoked right now. :)

No kidding! Well congrats Troy and please tell Rina the same from Wendy and I. Get your sleep now buddy. :)

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
No kidding! Well congrats Troy and please tell Rina the same from Wendy and I. Get your sleep now buddy. :)

Thanks, when he gets to 6 I'll bring to Montana to go big game shooting. :)

Bwana
02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks, when he gets to 6 I'll bring to Montana to go big game shooting. :)
6? Oh hell yes and at that age, we can also teach him how to drink "good beer" no swill and jump ATV's. The youngster will go home aged 6 more years from the experience, but have a set of brass balls. :p

KcMizzou
02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I assumed this thread was about Anna Nichole.

stevieray
02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I started riding on the dirt and sold my last dirt bike back in 02...too old I ride too agressive to not get hurt....but yeah..I regret it.

Haven't road my SS since I've been home...three years..but recently decided to put the 836 big bore kit and barnett clutch in it and make it a sleeper/keeper.

I feel your pain.

stevieray
02-08-2007, 03:11 PM

:toast:

Phobia
02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I started riding on the dirt and sold my last dirt bike back in 02...too old I ride too agressive to not get hurt....but yeah..I regret it.

Haven't road my SS since I've been home...three years..but recently decided to put the 836 big bore kit and barnett clutch in it and make it a sleeper/keeper.

I feel your pain.

Just think, you coulda been First Down Evel.

Congrats Troy.

Chief Henry
02-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Cheers to you BD. I'll toast you tonight with a Captain and Coke.
Congratulations. Please give your sweetie a hug from a pervert
in Iowa.

Radar Chief
02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Damn BD, you’re just full of good news lately.
Sorry you sold your scoots. I’ve had mine sold probably a half dozen times but just couldn’t go through with it. I don’t have the finances to go out and by a comparable, but more modern, one and I just can’t see myself without a scoot at all.
Maybe when you come to your senses and move to Kansas you can get another dirt bike. ;)

Radar Chief
02-08-2007, 03:22 PM

I feel your pain.

Heh, sounds like fun. :thumb:
Ever consider get’n a newer fuel injected bike? Even the small ones are increadibly powerful now days.

KC Dan
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Congrats, Troy! Please tell Rina that I am very happy for both of you. Now, you can move to Washington, get married and it not be annulled.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Appreciate the love guys!!!!

Looking forward to him meeting the big game hunter Bwana. Should be good times.

stevieray
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Heh, sounds like fun. :thumb:
Ever consider get’n a newer fuel injected bike? Even the small ones are increadibly powerful now days.

stuck in the past...but I did hear of a kit that runs two carbs for the inline four...

KC Dan
02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Stevie - where are the super bowl pics???

stevieray
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Stevie - where are the super bowl pics??? my engineer has been sick..she's going to put all the vid clips together.

Radar Chief
02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
stuck in the past...but I did hear of a kit that runs two carbs for the inline four...

Wow, never heard of that.

On those Barnett clutch packs, inspect carefully before you buy. Barnett used to make their clutch plates from stamped steel and because of that the tabs were so thin they’d tear up your clutch basket. A friend that used to work at Farr’s Cycles in Tulsa told me they quit sell’n Barnett clutches cause they put a few into some bikes only to have’em return later that day with a grooved up clutch basket.
I’m sure Barnett has corrected this since then, but I would still suggest you use stock clutch plates with some Barnett heavy duty springs. This will give you the desired effect, handle more horses without slip’n and you’ll get as much life out of it as you would a stock clutch.

stevieray
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, never heard of that.

On those Barnett clutch packs, inspect carefully before you buy. Barnett used to make their clutch plates from stamped steel and because of that the tabs were so thin they’d tear up your clutch basket. A friend that used to work at Farr’s Cycles in Tulsa told me they quit sell’n Barnett clutches cause they put a few into some bikes only to have’em return later that day with a grooved up clutch basket.
I’m sure Barnett has corrected this since then, but I would still suggest you use stock clutch plates with some Barnett heavy duty springs. This will give you the desired effect, handle more horses without slip’n and you’ll get as much life out of it as you would a stock clutch.

rep.

:clap:

If I'm going to do it, the time is now..these bikes are dwindling from the march of time.

Frosty
02-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Now, you can move to Washington

Except he wanted to get away from the over-legislated, tree hugger BS.

Bwana
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Except he wanted to get away from the over-legislated, tree hugger BS.

ROFL

Yeah no BS arc. WA is where we get a lot of our spill over of tree huggers. Put a gate at the state line will ya bud?

Logical
02-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I am just glad things are not as crazy down here in San Diego county. Sorry to hear you had to give up one of your passions Troy.

Manila-Chief
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Congrats man!!!

I hear you ... I don't like being made to wear a seatbelt. My daughter is alive today because she was not wearing a seat belt. Maybe wise to require parents to buckle up thier kids but I think adults should be able to make their own decisions. If it were a matter of placing others in danger it is a different question. It is the same with a helmet for bikers ... I think a biker is stupid not to wear a helmet but it should be their choice.

When I read your thread starter I thought about the trip we took to N.D., S.D., MT., etc. back in Sept. Those guys up there know about personal freedom ... If it were not so far from my grandkids I'd move up there.

Yep, there has to be rules but they ought to have a purpose and not just so lawmakers can say they did something ... and try to get reelected.

Oh, did I say "CONGRATS" on the GRANDkid!!!! Your parents will love that experience. It's great!!!!