PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs’ cap comfortable

dirk digler
02-09-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16657381.htm

Unlike the last two years, KC is $5 million under the salary limit.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs had to resort to releasing players and renegotiating existing contracts the last two years so they could comply with the NFL’s salary cap.

They won’t this year. Salary figures obtained by The Kansas City Star show the Chiefs with 2007 cap obligations of about $104 million. That should be about $5 million under the league-mandated ceiling, which is projected to be about $109 million.

“We’re in pretty good shape,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “Being able to get Tony Gonzalez signed without having to put a large franchise cap number on him really helps. We’re not having to, as we did last year, look at how we can reduce enough to ensure that we’ll be under the cap.”

The Chiefs will have enough salary-cap space to do some significant free-agent shopping if they so choose. But Peterson and coach Herm Edwards indicated that the Chiefs probably wouldn’t be major players once the market opens next month.

“I’d like to think we’ll be active, but we’ll be selective,” Peterson said. “I don’t see us going out on the first day and making a big splash on anybody. If you go back and really look at the history of free-agent signings — and really the history of early free-agent signings and big dollars — more often than not, teams have been burned. We’ve all kind of gotten back to building the core of your team through the draft.”

Edwards pointed toward Super Bowl participants Indianapolis and Chicago as examples of how the Chiefs would prefer to build their roster. Both teams acquired players mainly through the draft.

“That’s what we want to do here also,” Edwards said. “We need to have good drafts and draft good young players. We will infuse it with some veteran guys, but at the end of the day, you want to draft your guys because that’s what becomes your program.”

The Chiefs can clear more salary-cap space before the start of the free-agency period by renegotiating player contracts or releasing players. Tackle Willie Roaf retired last season, but his salary cap number of almost $5 million is still on their books. It comes off once Roaf is officially placed on the retired list.

Peterson has identified quarterback Trent Green as a target for a reduced salary. Green has the Chiefs’ highest base salary at $7.2 million.

Defensive tackle Ryan Sims is a prime target to be released. Sims, the Chiefs’ top draft pick in 2002, costs the Chiefs slightly more than $3 million now against their salary cap but would cost them about $2.3 million against their cap if released.

A glance at the list of individual salary-cap figures shows the Chiefs haven’t always spent their dollars wisely. A cornerback, Patrick Surtain, has their highest salary-cap figure at more than $9.3 million.

Among those with the highest salary-cap numbers are starters in danger of being benched (Green and linebacker Kendrell Bell), backup defensive linemen (Sims and Eric Hicks) and a player who was a no-show last season (running back Priest Holmes).

A player’s salary-cap number includes his base salary and all or a portion of various bonuses given to the player either this year or at the time of his signing.

The Chiefs will use some of their remaining salary-cap space to re-sign their own potential free agents. The list is 18 players long and includes tackle Jordan Black, linebacker Kawika Mitchell, defensive linemen Ron Edwards and James Reed, and quarterback Damon Huard as potential unrestricted free agents.

Among the scheduled restricted free agents are defensive end Jared Allen, wide receiver Samie Parker and kicker Lawrence Tynes.

Peterson has also said the Chiefs would negotiate a new contract with running back Larry Johnson, who otherwise has three seasons remaining on the deal he signed as a rookie in 2003.

After all of the internal maneuvering, the Chiefs should have some cap space remaining for outside free agents. Defensive tackle and wide receiver are their biggest needs.

“We still don’t know how good of a free-agent market this is going to be,” Peterson said. “We’re still evaluating that.”

tyton75
02-09-2007, 08:32 AM
If we could just get a real life starting DT and then maybe a 2nd tier reciever.. I would be happy

I keep thinking Justin Gage might be a good possesion reciever

Direckshun
02-09-2007, 08:43 AM
We'll get way more than that, tyton75.

However, King Carl should definitely take advantage of the wiggle room by creating more. Dump Sims. Dump Priest if he's not coming. Obviously dump Roaf. If Shields is retiring, well, there's even more room.

Look, this is a big opportunity offseason, but we have to tie up our loose ends here (resigning Allen and Mitchell) and renegotiate as much as possible (Green must take a hit, Hicks must take a hit, and so on).

That said, I like building through the draft. But Herm's gotta realize a great addition will need to come through free agency. We need another "Ty Law" grab this offseason.

dirk digler
02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
As long as the Chiefs have a great draft and maybe sign 1-2 FA's I will be pleased.

boogblaster
02-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Young DTs would be nice..another WR too..it would help if our QB could throw a deep-pattern..keep our best DTs and get some young blood too insert into games to rest our starters would really help the DL..a WR either drafted or free-agent would slow down blitzing defences against us..we have the TEs to keep the LBs from blitzing ...

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Hicks can't contribute...he needs to be gone.

there is alot of fat that needs trimmed off of the roster. Just do it.

Warrior5
02-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Hicks can't contribute...he needs to be gone.

there is alot of fat that needs trimmed off of the roster. Just do it.

Genau. Just do it.

If '07 is going to be a rebuilding year, there's a lot more to team building than dollar signs. Sims and Hicks must go (just to name a couple), even if it means eating some $ in the short term.

BigChiefFan
02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree the draft is the preferred method or building a team, but Chicago has plenty of FAs on their team. John Tait and Muhamed come to mind.

suds79
02-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't have the numbers in front of me but isn't there substantial evidence that teams generally don't get there $$$ worth in FA.

Sure there are hits & misses but generally I'd just like to see us draft young guys and play them.

It's a huge relief off of the cap if we can't get drafted players on the field and contributing.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I agree the draft is the preferred method or building a team, but Chicago has plenty of FAs on their team. John Tait and Muhamed come to mind.

John Tait hasn't come close to living up to his contract.

noa
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Why hasn't Roaf been officially placed on the retired list?

Rooster
02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16657381.htm

Tackle Willie Roaf retired last season, but his salary cap number of almost $5 million is still on their books. It comes off once Roaf is officially placed on the retired list.

I don't pretend to be an expert on player salaries and GM type moves but can someone explain to me why Roaf is not on the retired list. Is it Carl holding on hoping for a return or is this standard practice to be listed this long after leaving?

Rooster
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Damn beat me to it. :)

Sam Hall
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM

The occasional rumor of his return still persists. I think Carl and Herm are holding out hope, as they are with Priest.

noa
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
The occasional rumor of his return still persists. I think Carl and Herm are holding out hope, as they are with Priest.

It would be great to have him back and destroying opposing defenses, but I would almost rather suffer through breaking in someone new because we need to get that position figured out for the future. Bringing Roaf back would just be a temporary band-aid for a larger issue.

Bob Dole
02-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't have the numbers in front of me but isn't there substantial evidence that teams generally don't get there $$$ worth in FA.

Sure there are hits & misses but generally I'd just like to see us draft young guys and play them.

It's a huge relief off of the cap if we can't get drafted players on the field and contributing.

Just Google "Bob Gretz" and you should find plenty to support your first statement.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I wonder what the situation with T Green is?? Since he appears from this article to have one of the highest cap numbers? Would they be better off cutting him?

58-4ever
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't understand why so many people want to keep Mitchell.

dirk digler
02-09-2007, 10:48 AM

I would keep Mitchell as long as he could play on the outside, he is not a middle linebacker.

58-4ever
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I would keep Mitchell as long as he could play on the outside, he is not a middle linebacker.

What!? He is a liability in coverage and you want to move him to the outside? I'm talking about dumping him altogether.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Because there might not be an alternative.

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm hoping that by starting Pollard and Page, adding speed to the safety position, would help hide Mitchell as a liability deep(if he's retained).

I won't be upset if he stays, I just hope its for a reasonable price if there isn't a better sollution.

Truthfully....I'd MUCH rather see Bell replaced than Mitchell.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
**** larry Johnson, he has got three more years on his contract. Use they money to sign Huard. The Roman bath is going to cost a mint.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2007, 11:42 AM
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/124/26486771mk4.jpg

FloridaMan88
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
[url]

“I’d like to think we’ll be active, but we’ll be selective,” Peterson said. “I don’t see us going out on the first day and making a big splash on anybody. If you go back and really look at the history of free-agent signings — and really the history of early free-agent signings and big dollars — more often than not, teams have been burned. We’ve all kind of gotten back to building the core of your team through the draft.”

I guess this means the entire Chiefs front office will be on vacation for the start of free agency (again) and that Peterson is using the "we'll build through the draft" garbage as an excuse to do nothing during free agency.

The Colts are able to build through the draft because they drafted the likes of Manning, Wayne, Addai, Freeney, Bob Sanders, etc... unlike the Chiefs who are more likely to trade down so Carl doesn't have to negotiate a high round draft pick and instead draft the likes of Junior Siavii.

But it goes back to the fact Carl views stuff like the draft and free agency as annoyances that take him away from his real interests, which include bringing meaningless college football games and Billy Graham concerts to Arrowhead.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I guess this means the entire Chiefs front office will be on vacation for the start of free agency (again) and that Peterson is using the "we'll build through the draft" garbage as an excuse to do nothing during free agency.

The Colts are able to build through the draft because they drafted the likes of Manning, Wayne, Addai, Freeney, Bob Sanders, etc... unlike the Chiefs who are more likely to trade down so Carl doesn't have to negotiate a high round draft pick and instead draft the likes of Junior Siavii.

But it goes back to the fact Carl views stuff like the draft and free agency as annoyances that take him away from his real interests, which include bringing meaningless college football games and Billy Graham concerts to Arrowhead.

ROFL

Pathetic...but funny nonetheless.

petegz28
02-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Correction...he is not a MLB that can cover for both his postition and the one Bell was supposed to be covering.

Granted though he is not a great Cover 2 MLB.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
what ... was it about 5/6 years ago that Carl starting going on vacation the first couple weeks of free agency so he didn't have to be bother with all the FA questions?

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
what ... was it about 5/6 years ago that Carl starting going on vacation the first couple weeks of free agency so he didn't have to be bother with all the FA questions?

I wish he'd stay home, those "first day of free agency" acquisitions like Derrick Alexander and Shawn Barber have been SOOOO good...

Coogs
02-09-2007, 12:33 PM

2002 draft...

We passed on Freeney... and in fact traded up to get Sims...

Round Pick Player Name Team Position College
1 1 1 David Carr Texans QB Fresno State
2 2 Julius Peppers Panthers DE North Carolina
3 3 Joey Harrington Lions QB Oregon
4 4 Mike Williams Bills T Texas
5 5 Quentin Jammer Chargers DB Texas
6 6 Ryan Sims Chiefs DT North Carolina
7 7 Bryant McKinnie Vikings T Miami (FL)
8 8 Roy Williams Cowboys DB Oklahoma
9 9 John Henderson Jaguars DT Tennessee
10 10 Levi Jones Bengals T Arizona State
11 11 Dwight Freeney Colts DE Syracuse

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-09-2007, 12:47 PM
The funny thing is that the Bears thought he would.

ferrarispider95
02-09-2007, 12:50 PM
2002 draft...

Henderson and Williams :deevee:

shaneo69
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
2002 draft...

Yeah, but look at the bright side (according to Carl). We didn't screw up as bad as the Texans and Bills. And as long as there's one or two teams stupider than us, Carl's golden.

BigChiefFan
02-09-2007, 01:21 PM
That's why he was a starter in the Super Bowl, right? Jeez.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 01:27 PM

haha....i like how Carl always acts as if we are better than we really are. Like we are only a player or two away.....

Hes pulled the wool over everyones eyes...

Mr. Laz
02-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Henderson and Williams :deevee:
you could make of point that we would of been better off selecting any of the players that went right behind sims.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 02:03 PM
2002 draft...

Forget Freeney, how good would Levi Jones look in a Chiefs uniform right now?

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 02:04 PM
That's why he was a starter in the Super Bowl, right? Jeez.

Yeah, I forgot that John "Atlas" Tait took the Bears on his back and single-handedly carried them to the Super Bowl...

BigChiefFan
02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I forgot that John "Atlas" Tait took the Bears on his back and single-handedly carried them to the Super Bowl... I never said he carried the ****ing team, did I? I just mentioned he obviously is doing something right to help improve the Bears O-line-hence them going to the Super Bowl. Tait looked great in the Super Bowl game. Garza is the player that blew it on the O-line for the Bears.

Also, Tait's contract got all his money UPFRONT. He's now an average salary base for a high-demand position. The Bears bite the bullet the first year of contracts and give higher signing bonuses, allowing for lower base salary numbers against the cap in future years. That's smart on their part and hardly justifies your stance against them for signing Tait. Does any player truly live up to their contract? Why isolate John Tait?

Pushead2
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I would like Levi Brown in a Chiefs uniform , I would like alot of people in a Chiefs uniform , one I DO NOT like in a Chiefs uniform is Kawika Mitchell.....

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I never said he carried the ****ing team, did I? I just mentioned he obviously is doing something right to help improve the Bears O-line-hence them going to the Super Bowl. Tait looked great in the Super Bowl game. Garza is the player that blew it on the O-line for the Bears.

Also, Tait's contract got all his money UPFRONT. He's now an average salary base for a high-demand position. The Bears bite the bullet the first year of contracts and give higher signing bonuses, allowing for lower base salary numbers against the cap in future years. That's smart on their part and hardly justifies your stance against them for signing Tait. Does any player truly live up to their contract? Why isolate John Tait?

I must have watched a different game than you did, because I saw a John Tait constantly pushed to his knees and stumbling back into the QB. He's a decent RT, but I've never seen a convincing game that suggests he's an NFL LT.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Carl-we are raising tickets on our loyal fans-selling the name of our beloved stadium, raising parking, raising concession prices, getting more tv revenue-but will be very selective in the FA market. :banghead:

"We need to have a good draft" duh you think??

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I must have watched a different game than you did, because I saw a John Tait constantly pushed to his knees and stumbling back into the QB. He's a decent RT, but I've never seen a convincing game that suggests he's an NFL LT.

Yep I have to agree-he was taking a step back to set up and then getting bull rushed in the SB. I was not impressed with him while he was here and even less now.

Bugeater
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Edwards pointed toward Super Bowl participants Indianapolis and Chicago as examples of how the Chiefs would prefer to build their roster. Both teams acquired players mainly through the draft.

So Herm is planning on having a string of 3 and 4 win seasons so we can get top 10 draft picks for several years?

the Talking Can
02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
this is good news....lock up the important people: LJ, Allen

eat some contracts....screw FA...wait till next year and be loaded with cash

some middle brow FA's are fine...a #2 WR, a LB, etc...

HemiEd
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM

ROFL I am speechless! ROFL

shaneo69
02-09-2007, 09:06 PM

Or his 1st round draft status.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Or his 1st round draft status.

I agree.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-09-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm still awaiting the day when we blow this thing up and start from scratch. From the article, it sounds as if Carl is holding on to "mediocre" and "competitive" once again in 07.

Some things never change.

RedThat
02-10-2007, 02:08 AM
As far as free agency goes, Im not too crazy about relying on it to build a team because it has burned us in the past. Plus, the market isn't that good this year.

So when I hear that this team is going to focus more on the draft, that is good news, and a change too be honest. I just hope that they can draft well this time!

What id like to see, is this team cut off all the dead weight. There is too much of it on this team. Guys like Hicks gotta go. Sammy Knight gotta go. Kendrel Bell gotta go. Sims gotta go. And so on.

If I were the Chiefs, Id focus towards keeping their own players and getting younger. Try to work out longterm deals with Allen, and LJ. Maybe re-sign Jordan Black? Hey you never know, Shields can retire this year? We might need a young guy to come in and play guard this year?
possibly re-sign Damon Huard? He was one of their best players this year. Say Trent is done? And Croyle is not that good? We might need some QB competition in camp? You never know?

*But Regardless, if the Chiefs are gonna try to build a team to contend for the SB, I dont expect them to build it anytime soon because there are too many holes and question marks on this team.

Let's be honest here, as a Chiefs fan what positions do you really feel good about when you think of this team? I dont know about you, but I only feel good about the TEs, RBs, DEs, and CBs, P and aside from these positions every other position on this team is a question mark. Because there are so many holes to fill, and the Chiefs plan is to build through the draft, then what im thinking this team REALLY needs, is, 2 solid drafts like from top to bottom. And it would be wise if they were to hold on to their draft picks rather than giving them away to other teams.

PHOG
02-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Yeah, make some trades for draft picks and get this ball rolling..only thing is, CP will never allow it with only (ONLY?) 3 years left. He'll want to go out with a bang. :shake: Maybe 10-6 in his last year while completely decimating the franchise? Or has he already done that?

I know the answer to that one, as any "real fan" does. :rolleyes:

Otter
02-10-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm still wondering which scenario has a higher probability of becoming a reality:

GoChiefs getting tag-teamed by a set of Victoria Secret Models because he charmed their panties off at the Hard Rock in Vegas or Carl Peterson delivering a Super Bowl.

I'm betting on GoChiefs.

Don't be chumps.

PHOG
02-10-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm still waiting for the inevitable announcement that CP will be taking over (or likely delegated to) president of Chiefs/financial operations, with the stipulation that he keeps his damned nose out of footbal matters. :drool:

Actually, I've been waiting for about 10 years now. :cuss:

HMc
02-10-2007, 02:41 AM
trades for draft picks? outside of LJ, who do we have that is worth a draft pick?

PHOG
02-10-2007, 02:58 AM
trades for draft picks? outside of LJ, who do we have that is worth a draft pick?

Well, let's see..hmmm..nope he wouldn't get much, but wait how about..nah he wouldn't get squat...I know, we could trade..oops nevermind, would never work.

This just sucks. :mad:

crazycoffey
02-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Trade LJ, get mucho picks, and FA's, call jerry jones to see how we do it.

el borracho
02-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Wow. If accurate, the following numbers are truly disturbing:

2007 salary cap #s
Surtain $9,364,375
Green $9,148,808
Roaf $4,846,904
Kennison $4,738,333
Bell $4,487,500
Hicks $4,450,000
Wesley $3,966,666
Weigmann $3,635,000
Sims $3,063,202
Knight $2,815,000
Holmes $2,450,804

Six of those eleven shouldn't even be on the team and the other five are grossly overpaid.

Rausch
02-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Have to be excited about this.

If Carl is smart it buys us room to retain Huard and Still snag some FA talent at OT or DT...

Rausch
02-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Wow. If accurate, the following numbers are truly disturbing:
Six of those eleven shouldn't even be on the team and the other five are grossly overpaid.

How will you keep the electricity on?

The Holmes situation will be over by preseason and so will Sims.

Roaf's hit is over and Wesley will be released.

In NFL terms we have HUGE amounts of cap space...

el borracho
02-14-2007, 01:21 AM
How will you keep the electricity on?
Ummm... what?

el borracho
02-14-2007, 01:24 AM
The Holmes situation will be over by preseason and so will Sims.

Roaf's hit is over and Wesley will be released.

In NFL terms we have HUGE amounts of cap space...
Yes, I understand that many of those on that list will be gone this year. Still, it is disturbing to see such huge numbers for those players. I believe that releasing a player with a huge cap # most often means a larger cap hit/ more dead weight on the cap.

Halfcan
02-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Simms has been worth every penny-nobody keeps the bench warm like him.