PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys shave with?

Chief Nute
02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
In my opinion, the whole razor thing is getting out of hand......I just went to the grocery store and picked up a refill of my Gillette M3 (I think that is what the fuking thing is called).......It is the neon green thing that has like 5 million layers of blades and it vibrates because it supposedly makes for a smoother shave.

Point is.....that the refills for FOUR new blades was over 10 bucks. What a farce. You can go and buy a bag of disposables for a couple bucks.......is my shaver really that much better than buying a bag full of pieces of shit that I can throw away after one use? It isnt like these blades last forever either.......I have to replace these things after less than a week anyways. Not to mention you have to buy batteries for the damn thing because it insists that it has to vibrate.......good god. I just hope the Mrs. isnt running the batteries dead in the shower :holdman:

if you ask me....for the price I pay for these things, I should look like Brad Pitt after I'm done shaving.......but much to my dismay I look in the mirror after I am done, and I am still the same pitiful looking lad that I was before I shaved myself.

What in the hell do you guys shave with? Am I being suckered by this new fad of shavers that are way too advanced, and dont need to be?

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I use disposable razors.

I can't use an electric, or anything with more than one blade.

And I have to go into the black neighborhood's Walgreen's to get a balm for ingrown hairs.

FAX
02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
I have the one where the first blade cuts the hair and the second blade grabs the hair and the third blade runs behind the hair real fast and gets down on all fours and the fourth blade pushes the hair over the third blade and the fifth blade slaps the hair around a little and the sixth blade pops a cap in the hair's ass.

It's a good long-lasting shave.

FAX

Archie Bunker
02-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I use the same razor you do. Blade prices are ridiculous but it provides a good close shave.

02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I use Gillette track II,and the refills are expensive enough..I couldn't imagine spending more on those 3 bladed cartridges..

Chiefs_Fan
02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
an old ice skate and a soap rock....

But I have an electric that oozes the goo out as a backup.

booyaf2
02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I still use the original Mach 3, no battery. Works good as far as i can tell. I always use the blades till they pull the hair out as opposed to cutting it.

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Point is.....that the refills for FOUR new blades was over 10 bucks. What a farce. You can go and buy a bag of disposables for a couple bucks.......is my shaver really that much better than buying a bag full of pieces of shit that I can throw away after one use?

I'd say that depends on what you're shaving,I once used a disposable on my head,oh hell no,never again.

Chief Nute
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I still use the original Mach 3, no battery. Works good as far as i can tell. I always use the blades till they pull the hair out as opposed to cutting it.

Yea, thats the damn thing........the blades are so expensive, and I'm such a tight/lazy ass, that I will literally tell myself that the blades are "still working", just so I dont have to go to the store and buy more.

I will come out of the shower with blood pouring out of my face before I will suck it up and buy more. Which if I wanted blood pouring out of my face.....I'd just use disposables with god forbid ONE BLADE

Chief Nute
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd say that depends on what you're shaving,I once used a disposable on my head,oh hell no,never again.

Well, I do use my Gillette M3 to do a little manscaping. I do appreciate the vibration for manscaping. :eek:

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
FYI, I had one of my kids in for something and asked the dermatologist about it, since I have big problems with "razor bumps". She said anything over 1 blade is BAD. The "lift and cut" system that's so popular actually cuts the hair off below the surface of the skin, leading to irritation and ingrown hairs.

02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
FYI, I had one of my kids in for something and asked the dermatologist about it, since I have big problems with "razor bumps". She said anything over 1 blade is BAD. The "lift and cut" system that's so popular actually cuts the hair off below the surface of the skin, leading to irritation and ingrown hairs.
I think that all depends on how thick your beard is..you sound like you have a 5 'o clock shadow immediately after shaving..not everybody has a really thick beard.

Phobia
02-09-2007, 10:07 AM

I used that one for a lot of years. Just last month I picked up the latest from Gillette - the one with 4 blades and the trimmer thing. It doesn't vibrate though.

I like the new one.

ck_IN
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
I use the Mach 3. I get the blades at Sams. The initial cost is scary but when you break it down by refill it's not bad. I do use them though until I can't stand it anymore.

Ebolapox
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I had the mach 3 sent to me at my eighteenth birthday in some promotion... used it until the newest gilette came out, and I now use the fusion (five blades on front, trimmer on back)--I enjoy the close shave, but the razer burn is a pain in the ass

DMAC
02-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Fusion for me, I have to stay up on all of the current technology.

I haven't had razor bumps or cut myself in probably 6 months thanks to the Fusion.

ROYC75
02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I think each person's face is different, so you need to expole what is best for you. Mine, it doesn't matter if I use a single, twin, triple, quad, I get a close shave each time. The prices are out of hand, I switched back from the triple and quads to the doubles. They do me fine and I can actually use some disposables to lessen the cost.

The trick is to shower first and let the beard soften, then shave and rinse. Rather it be in the shower or after the shower, get the hairs soft first, get the water as hot as you can stand it . Always works well for me.....

rageeumr
02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
The trick is to shower first and let the beard soften, then shave and rinse. Rather it be in the shower or after the shower, get the hairs soft first, get the water as hot as you can stand it . Always works well for me.....

Bingo. I use my Mach3 blades for over a month usually with no pullage.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I think that all depends on how thick your beard is..you sound like you have a 5 'o clock shadow immediately after shaving..not everybody has a really thick beard.

Yeah, if I wanted to be "smooth" I'd have to shave twice a day.

greg63
02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
What is this shave thing you mention?

bgguitarman
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I use disposable razors.

And I have to go into the black neighborhood's Walgreen's to get a balm for ingrown hairs.

What is the balm that you speak of?

noa
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I use a Mach 3 and shave in the shower so I don't even need to use shaving cream and my face never gets irritated.

Chief Nute
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I use a Mach 3 and shave in the shower so I don't even need to use shaving cream and my face never gets irritated.

OMG! If I tried to shave without shave gel, I'd probably look like this guy

Sam Hall
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I use a Norelco Speed-XL. I had a Quadra Action, and the XL is merely an upgrade. It has more blades, so the end result is better. I can't believe somebody would make a shaver that shoots lotion at you. That's too much. I can understand a shaver that has its own cleaning system, but the lotion is unnecessary.

Bob Dole
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
And people made fun of Bob Dole for refusing to shave for 5 months.

Not only did Bob Dole save a lot of money on shaving supplies, people assumed Bob Dole was homeless and bought him free beer.

RockChalk
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I had the mach 3 sent to me at my eighteenth birthday in some promotion... used it until the newest gilette came out, and I now use the fusion (five blades on front, trimmer on back)--I enjoy the close shave, but the razer burn is a pain in the ass

i only get the razor burn on my neck with the Fusion. i shave after my shower and just put a little Nivea aftershave on it. it usually gets rid of the burn.

morphius
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I normally use an electric, I did have a mach 3 with battery that I was using for a bit, but I got tired of trying to shave with that thing while I was alseep, and fighting the mirror fogging up on me in the shower. I have a couple of the 5 blade ones that came in the mail free that I haven't opened yet.

Saulbadguy
02-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Gilette "Good News!" Plus knock offs, and a can of Barbosol with MENTHOL. I use this on my face and my head.

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I chip off some flint, sharpen a mastedon bone on some sandstone or use a dull soup can lid. If its gotta be a close shave for a wedding or something, I'll use my buck knife.

El Jefe
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Mach III for me.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
What is the balm that you speak of?

http://www.bumpstopper.com/Product.htm#bmp

Braincase
02-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Edge Gel, Mach 3 blades.

cdcox
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
For years I've used a regular Mach 3. The blades are a little expensive, but one blade will last me at least a month.

One time when I was traveling I forgot my razor and just bought a bag of cheap Bic disposables (single blade). Nasty, painful shave. The Mach3 is definitely worth the extra expense for me.

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
I also use the MachIII..get about 3 weeks out of a blade.

I have an electric, but don't really like it...it chaffes and seems to cause
ingrown hairs sometimes.

Braincase
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
For years I've used a regular Mach 3. The blades are a little expensive, but one blade will last me at least a month.

One time when I was traveling I forgot my razor and just bought a bag of cheap Bic disposables (single blade). Nasty, painful shave. The Mach3 is definitely worth the extra expense for me.

Amen. I go through one every two weeks, but I have a little more surface area to cover than most.

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Cold water, Edge gel, Gillette Mach 2 blades from Costco. I shave every other day and haven't cut myself or had bumps in 12 years or so.

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Interesting.

I assumed that you'd jave have Jeeves do it with a strait razor after your morning 15 minute hot towel treatment.

I keeed. I keeed.

Frazod
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I use the Mach III. I got one of the four blade things in a free mailer and used it until the blade ran out. I liked it a bit better, but I still have about six months worth of Mach III blades left (another Costco shopper here), so I won't be switching anytime soon.

Extra Point
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
My 10-year-old cordless Norelco still works. Shave on your way to work.

TrebMaxx
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Dang! Reading this thread is just another example of the pussification of this great country of ours!

How to get a good shave. (http://www.bakk-knives.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://bakk-knives.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mus2.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=MUSSO%20BOWIE......%22ALAMO%22.)

Radar Chief
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
I use a straight razor sharpened on a chunk of granite. Then I use Isopropyl for after-shave ‘cause that’s what Chuck Norris would do if the razor weren’t scared of’is facial hair. ;)

Ecto-I
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
1. Start off with a nice hot shower to open the pores on my face and soften the hair.

2. Whip out the trusty Mach 3 and lather up with whatever gel-cream is at costco. I got a free Gilette Quatro in the mail, but it feels exactly the same as my Mach 3, so I've stuck with the 3 blades. Many years ago I used an electric shaver and it just killed my face! Razor burn and irritation all the time!

3. I only shave with the grain. Though I don't get as close of a shave, I don't get any irritation or ingrown hairs.

4. Rinse off with COLD water to close the pores back up.

5. Finish off with Nivea balm to "sooth" the skin.

This seems to work well as I have pretty good skin. :)

FAX
02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I use a 12 pound sledge and hammer the hairs back in. Keeps my face baby soft and my sinuses clear.

FAX

kc rush
02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I use a Remington Microscreen most of the time, but will use the Mach 3 once a week just to get the stuff an electric can't. Since I use the blade so infrequently, I don't have to buy refills often.

jidar
02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't go overboard with the high dollar razors, but I stay away from the cheapies as well.

My wife buys my razors since she does all the shopping so I don't know what they cost, but I know they are Gillete and have 3 blades.

She bought a pack of generics from a dollar store once and they tore the hell out of me so I told her never to do that shit again.

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I prefer not to shave. About once a week I run my beard trimmer over my face, take the guard off and trim close for the manicured shape.

JBucc
02-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I use the Gillette sensor 3 disposable razors. They are very nice for disposables and very easy to clean out. I also have a fusion but I'm going to wait till I'm out of the disposable ones before I open it.

FAX
02-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I spray my face with kerosine and light my head once a week. Keeps the beard under control and my tan looking good all year round.

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Occasionally, I'll take the 5-blade Gillette that I got in the mail as a sample. Considering I usually only use a blade once a month or so (maybe less), the one blade pack it came with will probably last me most of 2007.

My wife uses the girl version of the Mach3.

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I spray my face with kerosine and light my head once a week. Keeps the beard under control and my tan looking good all year round.

FAX
You want quicker -- Use a lighter and a can of WD40. Use the tiny straw for precision work.

Radar Chief
02-09-2007, 11:45 AM

FAX

Actually, I don’t shave as much as scare’em back under the skin with a mean stare and threats.
It’s hell on mirrors also, so it’s not that efficient.

Redrum_69
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I use disposable razors.

Dude

respect---->|window|----->

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Dude

Respect speech from Redrum_69!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

grandllama
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
epicure

boogblaster
02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
old rusty butter-knife with panter-jizz for lube

FloridaMan88
02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
When I see the prices of some of razor blades and shavers on the market now I am glad I grow facial hair at the rate of a dead person (1 shave every three weeks at most)

grandllama
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Now a semi serious answer before I get drunker (it's 7:09 pm in Strasbourg France)

I got sick of the fancy battery operated green (Mach?) one and the orange one..(Fusion?). the blades didn't last long enough to justify $20 for eight cartridges.

I switched to the Shick Extreme disposable... six razors for less than six bucks and I get a week out of each one.

ndbbm
Old school barber's straight edge.

And now that I have awoken from my dream of being manly, I just use a beard trimmer on the lowest setting. My skin is actually too sensitive to even use an electric. :(

Jilly
I have the one where the first blade cuts the hair and the second blade grabs the hair and the third blade runs behind the hair real fast and gets down on all fours and the fourth blade pushes the hair over the third blade and the fifth blade slaps the hair around a little and the sixth blade pops a cap in the hair's ass.

It's a good long-lasting shave.

FAX

somehow my razor seems so inadequate now

Eric
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Has anyone used the Eckerd 3 blade razor ? It's a mach 3 ripoff. Costs way less than M3. Any good ?

RockChalk
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM

FAX
ROFL ROFL

Redrum_69
02-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Has anyone used the Eckerd 3 blade razor ? It's a mach 3 ripoff. Costs way less than M3. Any good ?

About as effective as your moms teeth on my pubes....

Phobia
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
When I see the prices of some of razor blades and shavers on the market now I am glad I grow facial hair at the rate of a dead person (1 shave every three weeks at most)

That only lasts until you're 16 or so, unless you're an albino.

Chief Nute
02-09-2007, 12:50 PM
About as effective as your moms teeth on my pubes....

Doesn't that hurt? I'd imagine that you already knew that wouldn't be the most effective way to trim up your pubes.

Groves
02-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I doubt that I'm the only one on this board that uses a straight razor. I'm a newbie to using it, but it helps with my need to use sharp things and learn another hand skill.

What's this razor burn you speak of?

I think it must be that part of shaving with multiblades where blade number 1 scrapes off all of the protection from the skin, and blades 2-20 have their devious way with your face.

I do find it impossible to shave on the way to work, so *that's* a downside to the straight.

Radar Chief
02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I do find it impossible to shave on the way to work, so *that's* a downside to the straight.

Well, it can be done but that arterial spray is a mess to clean up.

Redrum_69
02-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Doesn't that hurt? I'd imagine that you already knew that wouldn't be the most effective way to trim up your pubes.

THe benefit is the tongue bath that Eric's mom gives when shes done

chief2000
02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't think Redrum shaves his vagina.

SLAG
02-09-2007, 01:52 PM
(Just shaved today)

due to the high cost of refills for the Schick Quattro that i use i usally shave about 1x every 2 weeks so i tend to get a bit scruffy..

when i do shave to also cut down on use of the razors is i trim the scruffyness off with a small inexpensive beard trimmer/personal groomer... (good for shaving the balls too btw)

then go at my face with the Quattro... it does feel good to shave

Amnorix
02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I have an electric. Wife bought it for me for like $50 or something maybe 5 years ago.

I lie in bed, near comatose, shaving, first thing every morning.

I empty it and plug it in every week. I estimate that the recharge cost of the electricity used is about $.10 per week.

Try using an electric for like a month. Go on vacation and use it if you fear looking like crap at the office. More htna likely your face will get used to it, and you'll be fine.

Is it so close you could rub your face on a sleeping baby's forehead without waking it up? I don't know and I don't really care. I do have a healthy 5:00 shadow by the late afternoon, but I'd have that even with a razor.

Amnorix
02-09-2007, 01:59 PM
That only lasts until you're 16 or so, unless you're an albino.

probably not. One of my good friends is a mountain of a man who is a truck driver. I think he shaves monthly. Just has a baby face.

Of course, the hair on top of his head is also practically non-existent as well. ROFL

AustinChief
02-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I have tried all kinds of razors... but the best shave for the price is my granddad's trusty old double-edge safety razor. 10 blades for $4 or maybe $5. Oh and on a side note, shaving creams and aftershave "balms" are for wusses! Shave it dry!

http://www.col-conk.com/179.JPG

StcChief
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Electric forever but beard getting courser....

Now blade man...Triple edge Persona. works fine.

OnTheWarpath15
02-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I use the Fusion, which I love, other than the price of blades. Disposables are NOT an option for me......

Once a month, I treat myself and head to a barbershop in Clayton that shaves my face and head the old-fashioned straight razor way......

ExtremeChief
02-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Mach III Power and Afta, uh after.

02-09-2007, 06:01 PM
When my Braun died, I gave the fusion a try. For the most part, I liked it. Needless to say, I just broke down and purchased a new Braun 360 complete and absolutely love it.

Easy 6
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I got a Fusion for Christmas & it does a great job, slides right through the nastiest stubble, but because of the cost of new blades it will go in the trash when the 2 blades provided get dull & then i will go back to 2 blade disposables.

For shave cream, Dollar store gels work just fine for me.

Eleazar
02-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I must be the only one who uses an electric. After I got used to it, seems to work pretty well. It's one of those Braun self-cleaning dohickeys. Got it as a gift.

Electric doesn't save time, as nearly as I can tell, but you can do it anywhere without a sink and buying blades and cream and all that.

Mecca
02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I use disposable razors.

How do you shave with a diposable single bladed razor....it would take me like an hour and hurt like hell.......

I have a fusion by the way....

Mecca
02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
I must be the only one who uses an electric. After I got used to it, seems to work pretty well. It's one of those Braun self-cleaning dohickeys. Got it as a gift.

Electric doesn't save time, as nearly as I can tell, but you can do it anywhere without a sink and buying blades and cream and all that.

Well I generally have a beard or a goatee or something like that so using an electric razor would be pointless for me....plus if I shave I wanna feel like I shaved electric razor just feels like I didn't shave that day.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 08:21 PM
How do you shave with a diposable single bladed razor....it would take me like an hour and hurt like hell.......

I have a fusion by the way....

Why would it hurt?

I use regular shave gel and it takes like 30 seconds...

Mecca
02-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Why would it hurt?

I use regular shave gel and it takes like 30 seconds...

Well I generally don't shave everyday.....and like I said I always have some form of facial hair.

Coach
02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Fusion here.

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Dude

Respect what?

I'm stating a damn fact - it's a product marketed almost exclusively to African Americans - the drug stores in the burbs don't carry it.

crazycoffey
02-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Nair and a plastic knife

CoMoChief
02-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I cant use electric because my skin gets too irritated. I use Mach3 Turbo and pay out the ass for it.

Bwana
02-09-2007, 08:48 PM
http://www.prodat.no/LoopSites/helle/sites/helleeng/go.cfm?id=118087&type=text&lang=nob&path=0i66168i69254i69288i69298i118087

BWillie
02-09-2007, 09:03 PM
When my Braun died, I gave the fusion a try. For the most part, I liked it. Needless to say, I just broke down and purchased a new Braun 360 complete and absolutely love it.

I agree, I bought that too. And I have an extremely heavy beard. I don't understand how people can shave with the mach 3, and fusion razors. Those things eat me alive. If I shaved with a mach 3, I could not shave more than twice a week ever. If I shave with a two blade gillette, I still can't shave over three times a week because of the irritation. The Braun 360, I can shave 5 of 7 days, so it works out great for me. I almost got fired from a job one time in college, because I didn't ever come in clean shaven. I tried to explain that I couldn't shave more than 2-3 times a weke, and he called me a liar and a smart ass. I actually had to get a note from the Dr. to prove to him, and he treated me like an asshole the rest of the time I was there.

The Bruan 360 really does shave pretty close, not quite as close as a blade, but pretty close. There really is a HUGE difference between those crappy electrics and the 150 dollar ones like the 360.

penguinz
02-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Mach III Turbo. One blade barely lasts me a week. :(

Mecca
02-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Mach III Turbo. One blade barely lasts me a week. :(

That's why I shave like once a week......blades last longer.

crazycoffey
02-10-2007, 04:16 AM
I save on my hard drive, duh....er....oh wait.....

ah, I use a razor?