PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Hannibal Ri$ing?

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 10:16 AM
They've been advertising the hell out of this starting today and I'm curious to see what the weekend box office take will be.I've also seen numerous discussions about it on a couple of movie boards I frequent.

Personally,I just finished reading the book a few days ago and am looking forward to seeing how it plays on the big screen as there are a couple of moments from Harris' novel that could be quite interesting.

Does anyone have plans to see it the first weekend if at all?

Ebolapox
02-09-2007, 10:23 AM
oh, I plan on seeing it--but outta curiosity (and I'm a fan of thomas harris'), is it a prequal to the whole 'hannibal' series?? does it go into the whole mischa thing and his memory palace? I only ask because, considering the end of Hannibal (the book) it was obvious he wouldn't write any more 'sequals.' after Hannibal (the movie), they f*cked it up so badly that even if he DID write more sequals, they wouldn't mesh AT ALL with the movie sequals.

thanks for the response--and yes, I'll be seeing it whenever I get the chance, as I'd rather watch it before reading it (as movies that f*ck with a book's plotline really pisses me off)

chagrin
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Critics are killing it, but I would be interested in renting it

Frazod
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
It's got a 20% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

Of course, Smokin Aces only got 27%, and everybody seems to like that.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
No thanks.......it sort of ruins the mystery of Hannibal Lecter for me.

Nothing will top Silence of the Lambs or Manhunter.

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
They've been advertising the hell out of this starting today and I'm curious to see what the weekend box office take will be.I've also seen numerous discussions about it on a couple of movie boards I frequent.

Personally,I just finished reading the book a few days ago and am looking forward to seeing how it plays on the big screen as there are a couple of moments from Harris' novel that could be quite interesting.

Just FYI, Thomas Harris wrote the screenplay.

It's getting terrible reviews... one common theme is the guy playing Hannibal is not very good in the role.

Although, I will probably see it tomorrow. I've got the book, but the day I started reading it I saw a preview for the movie... so I decided to wait a couple of weeks. I'll start reading Sunday.

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM

What? You liked Manhunter more than Red Dragon?[/sarcasm]

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Brian Cox/Manhunter >>>>>> Anthony Hopkins/Red Dragon

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 10:54 AM

I always thought it was funny how they tried to make Hopkins seem younger than he was in Silence of the Lambs....

Even though he was clearly 50-60 pounds heavier and a few more wrinkles....LOL

MOhillbilly
02-09-2007, 10:57 AM
i got my woman the book for x-mas she must of liked it cause she read it in like 2 days.
she didnt like it as much as RD or S of t L but for her it was a good read.

Frazod
02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I just finished reading Red Dragon (I have both encarnations on DVD but had never read any of the books). Excellent read; held my interest even though I knew what was coming. It's rare that I can read a book once I've seen the movie based on it.

And while they're both very good movies, I preferred Red Dragon over Manhunter. Fienes is a better Dolarhyde than Noonan, IMHO.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I actually did like the Hannibal movie. I thought Julianne Moore did a decent job with an older, more burn out Clarice..and it was enjoyably over the top in a Grand Guignol kind of way.

Frazod
02-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I actually did like the Hannibal movie. I thought Julianne Moore did a decent job with an older, more burn out Clarice..and it was enjoyably over the top in a Grand Guignol kind of way.

The thing I liked best about Hannibal (worst of the movies but still enjoyable) was that everybody he killed so completely deserved it.

Unless he's cornered or escaping, Lechter basically only kills annoying idiots and assholes. I really don't have a problem with that. :)

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
oh, I plan on seeing it--but outta curiosity (and I'm a fan of thomas harris'), is it a prequal to the whole 'hannibal' series?? does it go into the whole mischa thing and his memory palace?

Yes,and without giving anything away I'd think there will be yet another book/movie to come called Hannibal Risen.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Yes,and without giving anything away I'd think there will be yet another book/movie to come called Hannibal Risen.

Oh brother....i think its time for Harris to move on from Lecter...

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I just finished reading Red Dragon (I have both encarnations on DVD but had never read any of the books). Excellent read; held my interest even though I knew what was coming. It's rare that I can read a book once I've seen the movie based on it.

And while they're both very good movies, I preferred Red Dragon over Manhunter. Fienes is a better Dolarhyde than Noonan, IMHO.

The only thing I liked better about Red Dragon was that they used Harris' original ending,other than that Manhunter is my favorite of any of the series but then again Michael Mann is my favorite director.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 11:17 AM
The only thing I liked better about Red Dragon was that they used Harris' original ending,other than that Manhunter is my favorite of any of the series but then again Michael Mann is my favorite director.

William Peterson was so good in that flick....

Frazod
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Red Dragon definitely stuck closer to the book.

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh brother....i think its time for Harris to move on from Lecter...

Personally,I hope there is one more installment,as I'd like to see an entire movie on Graham's hunt to capture Lecter.The only problem is finding the right actor to play Graham,I don't know if I could sit watching Edward Norton in that role again.

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I always thought it was kinda funny that Hopkins got the Oscar for SOL, when he CLEARLY ripped off Brian Cox's vision of Lecter (how it's spelled in SOL/Hannibal, while in Manhunter it was spelled Lector).

Pennywise
02-09-2007, 11:27 AM
How about 1408?

Looks cool.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/1408.html

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:28 AM
How about 1408?

Looks cool.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/1408.html
Hi, Jack!

Simply Red
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Manhunter. Ahh....

The true prequel.

Fire Me Boy!
02-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Manhunter. Ahh....

The true prequel.[/FONT]
Uh... no. It was the first movie, just like it was the first book. Silence of the Lambs was the sequel.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Personally,I hope there is one more installment,as I'd like to see an entire movie on Graham's hunt to capture Lecter..

Actually, that would make a pretty interesting story...

BIG_DADDY
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
This is one of those movies where if I'll wait and see. If people all come back and say it's awesome and a must see I'll go to the theatre.

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I always thought it was kinda funny that Hopkins got the Oscar for SOL, when he CLEARLY ripped off Brian Cox's vision of Lecter (how it's spelled in SOL/Hannibal, while in Manhunter it was spelled Lector).

It's too bad Cox didn't have more screen time in Manhunter,he was excellent.

After watching the trailer I think it's time to see the movie again.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs5XWhDK7ko"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs5XWhDK7ko" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 12:26 PM
This is one of those movies where if I'll wait and see. If people all come back and say it's awesome and a must see I'll go to the theatre.

I'm going to our first showing today at 4p.m. problem is having just finished the book I might not be one to listen to.Knowing that Harris wrote the screenplay is good though.

ChiefsFanatic
02-09-2007, 02:00 PM

I saw it last night, and it is not really the movie most people are expecting. However, Hannibal the Cannibal has some really good reasons to be f**ked up.

Overall, I am glad I stayed two hours late to watch it. Not bad.

Simply Red
02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Uh... no. It was the first movie, just like it was the first book. Silence of the Lambs was the sequel.
Right. But isn't Hannibal Rising the supposed prequel.

I may be confused... :banghead:

Nzoner
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Well shit,I get to the theatre and there's a sign on the box office window that reads something like, "We're sorry but the copy of Hannibal Rising that we received has a large red blotch during 15 minutes of the film,we advise you come back tomorrow when we get a new reel of the film in."

That was a first in my life,but all was not lost I went over to 54th for 3 Big Dawg margaritas for happy hour.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Well shit,I get to the theatre and there's a sign on the box office window that reads something like, "We're sorry but the copy of Hannibal Rising that we received has a large red blotch during 15 minutes of the film,we advise you come back tomorrow when we get a new reel of the film in."

That was a first in my life,but all was not lost I went over to 54th for 3 Big Dawg margaritas for happy hour.

hahah....wow....never seen that before?

All the more reason why theaters will be converting to all digital in a few years..

Ebolapox
02-09-2007, 10:59 PM

hmmm... interesting, from everything I'd heard after he wrote Hannibal, he was pretty much fed up with writing about hannibal lecter and was done writing novels altogether, and that he was just gonna go live the hermit ex-author style living off of the millions he's made off of his (few) novels...

thanks for the input though

Simply Red
02-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Oddly now everytime I see Hopkins in another film he is still Hannibal Lechter. Even in The Edge.

Miles
02-10-2007, 12:40 AM
It's too bad Cox didn't have more screen time in Manhunter,he was excellent.

After watching the trailer I think it's time to see the movie again.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs5XWhDK7ko"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs5XWhDK7ko" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I badly need to watch Manhunter again. Thought it was damn good the first time I watched it but at the time didn't follow directors enough to know it was Michael Mann.

Miles
02-10-2007, 12:45 AM
This is one that I figured would get bad reviews and the previews didn't look all that good. Hopefully it will also be one of those that could be a solid rental not expecting that much. Hey McNulty is in it too.

Frazod
02-10-2007, 12:46 AM
So, did anybody actually go see this movie tonight?

ChiefsFanatic
02-10-2007, 02:33 AM
hahah....wow....never seen that before?

All the more reason why theaters will be converting to all digital in a few years..

I trained at a theater that had a digital projector. It cost around 300,000.00 I think the rush to digital will be slower than you think. Especially when projectors are around 15000.00 to 20000.00

ChiefsFanatic
02-10-2007, 02:36 AM
So, did anybody actually go see this movie tonight?

I saw it last night. Not bad, but not the typical Hannibal movie. Gaspard Ulliel sure looks freaky as hell.

Li Gong is hot though. She played Hatsumomo is Memoirs of a Geisha.

crazycoffey
02-10-2007, 04:04 AM
blood from a turnip, blood from a turnip

Simply Red
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Early on this seems okay.

CrazyPhuD
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
brains Brains BRAINS!!!

Simply Red
11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
brains Brains BRAINS!!!