PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a Nissan Xterra S

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
... Anyone want to talk me out of it? It is for my wife and will be the primary family vehicle, since I have an 06 Mustang GT. We only have two kids (no more on the way) so it should have plenty of room. She'll be trading in her 02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I got what I think is a pretty good deal on a new 06 Xterra. It is funny but the first thing my wife asked was if I could upgrade the factory stereo system. (She's a pretty cool wife I guess :) ) The Xterra just seemed like the most comfortable, most "bang for the buck" vehicle.

Silock
02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Posting before the American car nazis show up.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I won't try to talk you out of it but I will give you some information about what you're getting yourself into.

The Xterra is a really rough riding vehicle. It's great in the snow when you drop it into 4H. I've never driven anything that handled better in the snow and that includes my massive Ford 4x4.

It's also very highly rated for resale and reliability. You won't have to do a whole lot to it but when you do be prepared to pay dearly.

It doesn't get great gas mileage and they're underpowered.

But for the wife, I think it's an outstanding choice.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Which year are you getting? I'll give you the Consumer Reports lowdown on it.

DMAC
02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Which year are you getting? I'll give you the Consumer Reports lowdown on it.I am buying a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT LS tomorrow. If that falls through I have a 2003 I am going to buy.

If you get a chance, could you run a couple for me? If not, don't worry about it.

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:13 PM
My Step Daughter had an 03. Rough ride. Back seat was uncomfortable. Raw reliability was good. I'd recommend getting a year older Pathfinder. Or even look into an 04 Armada w/ fairly high mileage to get the note down a bit.

Just my thoughts...

BTW I owned an 04 and an 05 Armada and loved them. Gas hiked too high so we traded.

StcChief
02-11-2007, 07:14 PM
My BIL has 2WD (why?) Xterra...1st/2nd year out. has had Good luck with it.

Deberg_1990
02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Ill agree with the rough ride....ive test driven a few and didnt care for them much.....

But what do i know? Ask Recxjake..

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm an American car guy myself... or at least I was. We've pretty much always had Fords and a couple GMs. I gave two different Ford dealerships every chance to give me the kind of discounts etc. on a new Explorer that Nissan did on the Xterra but they failed... at least so far. One of them was going to check a little more and call me back tomorrow morning, but it looks like the Xterra will be the choice. I'll always try to go American first, but I will absolutely settle for foriegn if it makes better sense for my family.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I am buying a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT LS tomorrow. If that falls through I have a 2003 I am going to buy.

If you get a chance, could you run a couple for me? If not, don't worry about it.

Sure thing. CR doesn't like either of those years in the Trailblazer.

They like the 05 and 06 much better.

Both the 03 and 04 got dinged in similar categories:

Drive System
Fuel System
Electrical System
Fuel System
Paint/Trim/Rust
Body Integrity
Body Hardware
Power Equipment
Audio scored poorly in the 04 and very good in the 03.
There's a lot more black than red for those years.

If I were looking at those vehicles I would look elsewhere based on what CR is reporting.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 07:22 PM
By contrast CR LOVES the Xterra, especially the 06. Earlier models have very few dings and mostly for body integrity.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Which year are you getting? I'll give you the Consumer Reports lowdown on it.Cool, we're looking at a new 06 4WD.
I thought the ride was just a smooth as our 02 Ford Explorer, if not better. It was not as smooth as the 06 Explorer I drove though. But the Xterra does get better gas mileage than the Explorer and costs a lot less.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:24 PM
My Step Daughter had an 03. Rough ride. Back seat was uncomfortable. Raw reliability was good. I'd recommend getting a year older Pathfinder. Or even look into an 04 Armada w/ fairly high mileage to get the note down a bit.

Just my thoughts...

BTW I owned an 04 and an 05 Armada and loved them. Gas hiked too high so we traded.
My credit is good enough to get a real low interest rate on a new one but not good enough to give me a good rate on used. New will end up costing about the same as used due to interest rates.

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:24 PM
As I recall Nissans are largely produced in Tennessee and employee several Americans. Oh and have a better product...

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
As I recall Nissans are largely produced in Tennessee and employee several Americans. Oh and have a better product... That's good to know. However, I would disagree that they have a better product but feel they do have a competitive product and lower pricing.

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
My credit is good enough to get a real low interest rate on a new one but not good enough to give me a good rate on used. New will end up costing about the same as used due to interest rates.

Gotcha. Well I love Nissan as my preceeding post may indicate. Some GM's and Fords are really nice. Don't get me wrong. Have you looked into the new Chrysler SUV? Or the new full sized Saturn?

Phobia
02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Cool, we're looking at a new 06 4WD.
I thought the ride was just a smooth as our 02 Ford Explorer, if not better. It was not as smooth as the 06 Explorer I drove though. But the Xterra does get better gas mileage than the Explorer and costs a lot less.

There are no black marks for the 06. It rates in the highest category for CR for everything except electrical system and even then it rates "Very Good". You should feel good about your decision.

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
... Anyone want to talk me out of it? It is for my wife and will be the primary family vehicle, since I have an 06 Mustang GT. We only have two kids (no more on the way) so it should have plenty of room. She'll be trading in her 02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I got what I think is a pretty good deal on a new 06 Xterra. It is funny but the first thing my wife asked was if I could upgrade the factory stereo system. (She's a pretty cool wife I guess :) ) The Xterra just seemed like the most comfortable, most "bang for the buck" vehicle.

So have you test drove it yet?

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Underpowered. As I recall her Xterra had a 3.2 way underpowered for that amt. of weight that is the reason for the poor gas mileage. Like I said though a lot may have changed (design-wise) since 03.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:34 PM
So have you test drove it yet? Yes, in town and on the interstate. Drove nicely and we were very comfortable in it. The kids (10 & 7) loved it due to the rear stadium seating. The rear seats are higher so the kids can see out much more easily.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Underpowered. As I recall her Xterra had a 3.2 way underpowered for that amt. of weight that is the reason for the poor gas mileage. Like I said though a lot may have changed (design-wise) since 03. They come with a 4.0L 261HP V-6 now. It feels slightly stronger than the Ford Explorer V-6 I also test drove, but I'm sure that's due to the weight difference.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
There are no black marks for the 06. It rates in the highest category for CR for everything except electrical system and even then it rates "Very Good". You should feel good about your decision.
Cool, thanks man!

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
They come with a 4.0L 261HP V-6 now. It feels slightly stronger than the Ford Explorer V-6 I also test drove, but I'm sure that's due to the weight difference.

Well I'd recommend you move forward on it soon. That isn't bad and frankly will help w/ the gas mileage. They seem to have changed a lot over the last few years

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Congrats!! BTW!!

recxjake
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
NOOOOOO

You gotta go check out the:

Saturn Outlook
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/outlook/overview.jsp

GMC Acadia

Buick Enclave
http://www.buick.com/enclave/index.jsp?cmp=enclave

If your interested, I can get you GM Supplier Pricing on any GM car, truck, suv and crossover.

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
NOOOOOO

You go check out the

Saturn Outlook- http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/outlook/overview.jsp

GMC Acadia

Buick Enclave
http://www.buick.com/enclave/index.jsp?cmp=enclave

If your interested, I can get you GM Supplier Pricing on any GM car, truck, suv and crossover.

ROFL

Just a matter of time before he'd come. Rex is a pretty good dude though. That new Saturn is actually nice looking.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
The Xterra is old technology... it's been around for a while now... get somthing new atleast..... there are suv's that get much better MPG than the Xterra....

Also I would check out the new Saturn Vue... it comes out in a month or so....

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jsp

Eleazar
02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Nobody makes an ugly ass car like Saturn does.

recxjake
USA Today Test Drive - James R. Healy - Posted 12/21/2006 9:56 PM ET

PALO ALTO, Calif. — It's a rare moment in the auto business when a vehicle seems just right, so much so that it transcends annoyances and omissions to sit atop its class. Salients this year: 2007 Jaguar XK (Test Drive, Aug. 11) and '07 Honda CR-V small crossover SUV (Test Drive, Oct. 6).

Now another: 2007 GMC Acadia, a large crossover SUV. It's a new vehicle to GMC's lineup and is the first crossover ever sold by General Motors' (GM) GMC truck brand. That means it's not built on a truck-style frame but rather as a unibody somewhat like a car.

Article continues at link...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...x.htm?csp=N008

recxjake
Roomy Acadia easy on eyes, easier on fuel

Jim Mateja
Chicago Tribune
Published February 11, 2007

There was a time when owning a Chevy Suburban or Tahoe or a Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator put you on the A-list.

The machine meant you had prestige, image and lots of dough.

Bigger was better and biggest was best.

But things change with time and gas prices so the automakers have turned to crossovers to give consumers a less energy-consuming alternative.

General Motors is coming out with a trio of crossovers built off a new front-/all-wheel-drive platform--the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave. The GMC and Saturn are on sale now, Enclave arrives in the second quarter. Look for a Chevrolet version soon though GM won't confirm or deny.

We tested the 2007 AWD Acadia, which went on sale last month.

The Crossover comes in FWD or AWD but only with a V-6.

"It's bringing in people we haven't seen before," said John Larson, general manager of Buick-Pontiac-GMC, referring to folks moving out of mid- and full-size SUVs.

With most Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers channeled into a single store, it means many will offer Acadia and Enclave. This seems to defeat the purpose of consolidation.

The V-6 responds quickly, making Acadia no slouch moving off the line or into the passing lane. Limber and nimble.

There's low step-in height so no need for running boards. The suspension is more like a car's than a truck's. Not luxury sedan smooth but forgiving enough so you don't have lots of jarring and jostling. Little lean in corners and turns. Quick steering response and a nice, tight turning radius.

Other nice touches include a power liftgate activated by pressing the key fob or the button in the instrument panel. And the armrest between driver and passenger slides back to expose large coin/cell phone holders. Remove the holders and create a massive stowage container. Probably large enough for a purse.

If you want to make the cabin feel more spacious, you can get dual skyscape sunroofs ($1,300): a small power sunroof over driver and passenger, a larger skylight over second-row occupants. Both come with sunshades.

More / Full Review: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-bizfront-hed

recxjake
02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Nobody makes an ugly ass car like Saturn does.

That is just a stupid comment... have you seen all the new ones they have come out with this year?!

Sky
Astra
Aura/ Aura Greenline
Outlook
Vue/Vue Greenline

They are awesome new cars.... now did Saturn make the ugliest cars... Yes, they did, until 2006.

Eleazar
02-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey recx, do you realize that the base model of your Acadia is going to retail for $10,000 more than what he's paying for his Xterra tomorrow? :spock:

recxjake
02-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Quote:
The Outlook, which is joined in GM's stable with the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia (a Chevy is said to be on the way) is not only the best designed, running, and packaged big crossover/minivan/mid-size SUV the automaker has ever kicked out of its product system, it also skunks the current competition from Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota among vehicles that have standard or optional three rows of seats.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...81.A11593.html

recxjake
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey recx, do you realize that the base model of your Acadia is going to retail for $10,000 more than what he's paying for his Xterra tomorrow? :spock:

Opportunity Cost Analysis needed here.

I can get him a GM discount... -3000 or so.... A MUCHHHHHH better people hauler than an outdated Xterra.

If cost is a big issue, then go with the all new Vue.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Also I would check out the new Saturn Vue... it comes out in a month or so....
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jspYou mean the 08 Vue? What about the 07s? What kind of a discount could you realistically get me on an 07 Vue?

recxjake
02-11-2007, 08:39 PM
You mean the 08 Vue? What about the 07s? What kind of a discount could you realistically get me on an 07 Vue?

I just threw one together...

FWD
Style ModifyVUE FWD V6
Steel safety cage
248-horsepower, 3.5-liter engine
Four-wheel independent suspension
Fold-flat front passenger seat
Power windows, door locks and mirrors
Colors ModifyExterior: Black Onyx
Interior: Gray Cloth
Seat Type: Front reclining buckets
Options & Packages ModifyOption MSRP
17-inch alloy wheels $350.00
CD/MP3 player with AM/FM stereo, This audio system features an AM/FM stereo, a CD/MP3 player and a built-in auxiliary jack to accommodate an external MP3 player. , Not available with six-disc CD/MP3 player or DVD entertainment system. $150.00
Chrome Package, Includes front and rear chrome skid plates and chrome-accented foglamps., Not available with Red Line Package. $295.00
Chrome roof rails, Stylish roof rails, available with a range of attachments, make it easy to haul your big outdoor toys to the places that makes them happiest. $150.00
Comfort Package, Includes six-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support and heated front seats. $595.00
Floor mats, carpeted front and rear $80.00
Foglamps, Improve visibility in foggy, snowy or rainy weather by directing light onto the road surface. Special reflectors concentrate the beam and keep the light low. $0.00
Head Curtain Side Air Bags with rollover sensor (1), (1)Optional Head Curtain Side Air Bags are designed to help reduce the risk of head and neck injuries to front and rear seat occupants on the near side of certain side impact collisions., Always use safety belts and proper child restraints, even with air bags. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat. See the Owner's Handbook for more safety information. $395.00
Power sunroof, The available power sunroof slides into the roof for a cleaner appearance and minimizes the amount of wind directed into the car. , Not available with DVD entertainment system. $725.00
Saturn Advanced Audio System, The VUE's quiet ride comes standard. Unless, of course, you opt for the separate 180-watt amplifier, an 8-inch sub-woofer and six premium speakers., Requires radio upgrade. Please select either the CD/MP3 player with AM/FM stereo - $150, the Six-disc, in dash CD/MP3 - $650 or the DVD entertainment system - $1,140. $295.00

MSRP of 25,410
GM Supplier pricing for 24,100

Saturn dealers don't budge... they have "no haggle" pricing... Saturn is known for the best bang for the buck. The Supplier pricing discount gets bigger the more you spend... It's lowest for Saturn since their prices are already good.

If you want me to get into specifics, just let me know and I can price it out for ya...

recxjake
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Actually, If you wanna play with it... Here is the website....

http://www.gmbuypower.com/index.jsp?&partnerId=510023&userType=GMSUPPLR

If you are serious about it, just PM me and I can email you the authorization code. I did it for another Planet member a month ago. I just need your b-day and last 4 of Social to get the code. It's good for 6 months, so no pressure.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-11-2007, 09:44 PM
What do you show on a 07 Saturn Vue? Thanks!

recxjake
02-11-2007, 09:49 PM

http://autos.yahoo.com/saturn_vue/;_ylc=X3oDMTBybXF0cjE1BF9TAzk3MjY0NTAyBHNlYwNzbXgEc2xrA3NteA--?refsrc=offnetwork%2Fcpc%2FPI

It's not just a great deal, it's a fun & safe.
by Charlie from Denver, CO (2/11/07)

0 out of 0 people found this review helpful

I was a bit concerned about the 4-cyclinder performance capabilities since we do a bunch of mountain driving (Denver area). It has to be once of the best 4-cycliners available. Plenty of power and quick off the line. Great gas mileage too. After almost a year and 20,000 miles, zero repairs and ...

Read full review...
Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No
Report abuse
Trim: 3.5L AWD V6
Great Vehicle
by Mobil Mike from Elkhorn,Wi (2/10/07)

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful
Pros: Great engine, plenty of interior leg and headroom. great value
Cons: Wind noise at upper corner of front doors, sticky ignition switch, front seats a bit uncomfortable

All in all this is one of the best vehicles I have ever driven. Handling. ride, engine response, towing capability, and the price is just outstanding.

Dealer response is good( replaced switch, will replace weather strip on doors) The only other problem I have is trying to see the ...

Read full review...
Report abuse
Trim: 3.5L FWD V6
Love the 2007 VUE
by Betty W. from Dublin, GA (2/05/07)

0 out of 0 people found this review helpful
Pros: Great all around!
Cons: None!

New 2007 Saturn VUE owner! Just bought it in Jan. 07. Very comfortale ride and easy to handle. The heated leather seats are oh la la great! The stripes on the outside with VUE on it are an awesome addition to the VUE. Just love the expensive look of the VUE both inside and outside. ...

Read full review...
Report abuse
Trim: 3.5L AWD V6
V6 AWD Vue--An Excellent Value SUV
by Bob from Southern NJ (2/03/07)

2 out of 2 people found this review helpful
Pros: V6 Performance, Comfortable Ride
Cons: None

This is my first Saturn and my first SUV. I compared the V6 AWD Vue to other similar SUVs---the Vue was a clear winner. You cant beat the price, features, performance, size, and looks. The Honda V6 engine gives the Vue good acceleration while maintaining good gas mileage. My experience with ...

Read full review...
Report abuse
Trim: 3.5L FWD V6
Very suprising!
by Andrew from Tucson, AZ (1/26/07)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful
Pros: Interior is really roomy and nice looking
Cons: have to use two hands to close all the electronic windows at once

I was not initially looking at a Saturn, but decided to just look at one to have a comparison with other small SUV's. I was immediately impressed. The interior is suprisingly nice. Everytime I have passengers, they comment about how much room there is, and how nice the interior looks. I was ...

Read full review...

morphius
02-11-2007, 09:50 PM
After they switched to their 3.5 that they use in all their other vehicles the Xterra definitely isn't underpowered. I don't know how rex can call it bad technology, that 6 cyl has won many awards. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the gas millage.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 09:50 PM

They show no data on the detailed information that I broke out for the Trailblazer. However, the Xterra outclasses the Vue in every testing category except for front crash tests. The Vue rated excellent and the Xterra rated very good.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
After they switched to their 3.5 that they use in all their other vehicles the Xterra definitely isn't underpowered. I don't know how rex can call it bad technology, that 6 cyl has won many awards. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the gas millage.

I don't mean that it's not good, it's just dated.... didn't it come out in 2001?

morphius
02-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't mean that it's not good, it's just dated.... didn't it come out in 2001?
Just because GM has to change their styles every other year to see if something sticks, doesn't mean someone else's is really outdated if it has some staying power in its niche. I mean heck, I'm guessing the 911 is dated as well :D

recxjake
02-11-2007, 09:59 PM
When the Saturn Vue debuted in 2002, it represented Saturn's (as well as General Motors') first homegrown entry in the car-based small SUV segment. As there were already many established players at this point, Saturn's managers knew that just showing up wasn't going to be enough to ensure success. As such, the company equipped the vehicle with unique drivetrain options, a spacious cabin and a low price.

This proved to be enough to garner reasonable success in terms of sales but not much in terms of critical acclaim. Since then, Saturn has been hard at work making improvements and expanding the Vue's model lineup. By most measures, the current Saturn Vue is the best yet, and consumers searching for an SUV with a comfortable ride quality, an available hybrid powertrain and a no-hassle buying experience will likely be satisfied with a Vue purchase.

The Saturn Vue is a car-based SUV. Like most other vehicles of this type, it provides useful cargo-carrying versatility, an elevated driving position, secure handling, optional V6 power and the option for all-wheel drive. Though the Vue is officially classified as a midsize SUV in terms of size, most shoppers compare it to similarly priced compact SUVs during the decision-making process. It's built at Saturn's Spring Hill, Tennessee plant and shares its basic platform with the Pontiac Torrent and Chevrolet Equinox.

Choosing a Vue is a relatively easy affair. There are no specific trim levels but equipment and option availability change slightly depending on which engine is selected. The least expensive model has front-wheel drive, a 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission. A five-speed automatic is optional. Stepping up to the 3.5-liter V6 model provides more power, a few more features and the option of getting all-wheel drive and a "Red Line" performance package.

A new addition to the Vue family is the "Green Line." Equipped with a gasoline/electric hybrid powertrain, this model promises to deliver a 20-percent improvement in fuel economy over a four-cylinder Vue. Additionally, the Green Line shaves about 1 second from the 0-60-mph time. From the outside, the Green Line looks like any other Vue. Only the Hybrid badge on the fender identifies it as the tree-hugger special.

In earlier reviews conducted by our editors, the Saturn Vue earned favorable commentary for its strong V6 engine, roomy cabin, comfortable ride and dent-resistant body panels. Noted downsides include below-average build quality, some low-grade interior materials, vague steering and weak performance from the base four-cylinder engine.

Though the Saturn Vue is still in its first generation, it's been around long enough that shoppers interested in buying a used, late-model compact SUV will likely come across it during their search. However, there are a few items to consider before choosing a used Vue. One is that the Vue's interior was notably improved for the 2006 model year. Models built previous to this are notably deficient in terms of interior materials quality and ergonomics.

One should also note that Saturn offered a continuously variable transmission (CVT) for the 2002-'05 model years. Fitted to the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine, the CVT provided improved fuel mileage compared to the five-speed automatic. But long-term reliability was apparently an issue and Saturn discontinued it. Finally, Vues built through the 2004 model year have a 3.0-liter OHV V6 instead of the current, Honda-engineered 3.5-liter V6. The old V6, though prodigious in torque, was not nearly as refined or powerful as the 3.5-liter V6.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Just because GM has to change their styles every other year to see if something sticks, doesn't mean someone else's is really outdated if it has some staying power in its niche. I mean heck, I'm guessing the 911 is dated as well :D

I wouldn't buy an Xterra, an 07 Vue, or anything that's been out for several years... there is so much better new stuff available. Yes, they refresh them, but the basics of the car never change. The automotive market is so competitive right now that automakers are constantly creating new, better product.

The 08 Vue... out in April, is compeletely new... new everything! I would wait, but if the lady wants a new car, the lady wants a new car.

morphius
02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't buy an Xterra, an 07 Vue, or anything that's been out for several years... there is so much better new stuff available. Yes, they refresh them, but the basics of the car never change. The automotive market is so competitive right now that automakers are constantly creating new, better product.

The 08 Vue... out in April, is compeletely new... new everything! I would wait, but if the lady wants a new car, the lady wants a new car.
The problem with buying the "new" is that the first year of any new model or any major change also leads to more recalls and more minor fixes. If you go with something that has been around for a couple of years, then you stand a better chance of having less complications.

morphius
02-11-2007, 10:11 PM

The problem with buying the "new" is that the first year of any new model or any major change also leads to more recalls and more minor fixes. If you go with something that has been around for a couple of years, then you stand a better chance of having less complications.

If you are just going to lease, then those things matter less, but if you plan to own it for a long period of time, well, that is different.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM

If you are just going to lease, then those things matter less, but if you plan to own it for a long period of time, well, that is different.

I lease... and I hope all of you do too.... cars are not investments!

I just think it's more fun to have new stuff... I agree with you, there are definetly benefits to getting a proven winner.

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Saturn is known for the best bang for the buck.

Yeah, but the "bang" sound they make when they break down on the side of the road isn't the kind of bang most people are looking for.

morphius
02-11-2007, 10:17 PM

I just think it's more fun to have new stuff... I agree with you, there are definetly benefits to getting a proven winner.
Why would I want to lease? I would have to pay a ton for going over the miles. Then on top of that I'm making payments forever. Heck, I have a truck I haven't had to make payments on for 6 years.

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:18 PM

Not everyone wants to constantly have a car payment.

The best bet is to buy used.

I bought a 2003 Acura MDX with 27,000 miles for $26k with NAV and the tow package. Now THAT is a hell of a deal.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Why would I want to lease? I would have to pay a ton for going over the miles. Then on top of that I'm making payments forever. Heck, I have a truck I haven't had to make payments on for 6 years.

yea, it depends on the person... with me being in school, I don't have to worry going over 15,000 a year... I just like the fact that I pay less per month, once it's over, I just turn it in, and get a new one!

I currently pay $360 a month for a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero... 35,000 dollar car... 0 down! It was a steal due to my old man. It's a 27 month lease/15,000 miles a year.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Not everyone wants to constantly have a car payment.

The best bet is to buy used.

I bought a 2003 Acura MDX with 27,000 miles for $26k with NAV and the tow package. Now THAT is a hell of a deal.

I would never buy used.... The way I think of it is that would I want to buy a car that I have no history of?! NO... I feel very bad for the person who got stuck with my old car after the way I drove it!

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, there's always Carfax, which isn't 100% accurate, but there are plenty of cars that were always taken to the dealership for service and have all records.

Also key is not buying a vehicle that falls apart just because it's driven hard. Why would you want a car like that anyway?

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Well, there's always Carfax, which isn't 100% accurate, but there are plenty of cars that were always taken to the dealership for service and have all records.

Also key is not buying a vehicle that falls apart just because it's driven hard. Why would you want a car like that anyway?

I wouldn't, but I I had dents all over that thing, burn holes in the seats, smelled like beer... just a very well used high school car! I went way over on getting oil changes... Scrapped the bottom of it up very hard, the tires were bald.

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Obviously, that's not the kind of used car I'm talking about buying.

Buying a car 2 years old that's still under warranty is the best thing you can financially do. You aren't the one that took the major hit on depreciation, and you still get many thousands of miles under warranty.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Buying a car 2 years old that's still under warranty is the best thing you can financially do. You aren't the one that took the major hit on depreciation, and you still get many thousands of miles under warranty.

Mine was an 04, got an 06 a few months ago. Luckily I get GM employee pricing so I don't have to worry about getting screwed. Now GM's warranty goes to 100,000 so I think it will really help out GM's resale values... they announced a few days ago that the new 100k mile warranty goes on all used cars now too!

Deberg_1990
02-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I currently pay $360 a month for a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero... 35,000 dollar car... 0 down! It was a steal due to my old man. It's a 27 month lease/15,000 miles a year.

Sweet ride Recxjake...ill bet you get some nice tail with that?? LOL

Miles
02-11-2007, 10:41 PM

I definitely tend to agree with that line of thinking so long as you have enough left on the warranty and find one that was well cared for. Only problem is if you are financing it can be a pain.

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Mine was an 04, got an 06 a few months ago. Luckily I get GM employee pricing so I don't have to worry about getting screwed. Now GM's warranty goes to 100,000 so I think it will really help out GM's resale values... they announced a few days ago that the new 100k mile warranty goes on all used cars now too!

That should help. Foreign car makers have been doing that for years now on their Certified Pre-Owned vehicles, and it really paid off.

morphius
02-11-2007, 10:43 PM

Actually, that depends. If you look back a year or two ago, many of the deals on the new cars were making the price almost the same as used.

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I definitely tend to agree with that line of thinking so long as you have enough left on the warranty and find one that was well cared for. Only problem is if you are financing it can be a pain.

Definitely. Buying like that tends to eliminate impulse buying, because it forces you to do your homework and take some time when making a decision.

The good news is that most certified pre-owned cars have financing rates comparable to new cars. I got the same financing rate on my certified used MDX that I would have on a brand new one.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Great ride dude.

Miles
02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Definitely. Buying like that tends to eliminate impulse buying, because it forces you to do your homework and take some time when making a decision.

The good news is that most certified pre-owned cars have financing rates comparable to new cars. I got the same financing rate on my certified used MDX that I would have on a brand new one.

When I bought my latest car, around a year and a half ago and also an Acura the certified pre-owned was a big turn off for me. The dealerships in my area used it as a way to charge too much of a premium and were not willing to negotiate much.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Actually, that depends. If you look back a year or two ago, many of the deals on the new cars were making the price almost the same as used.

Yea, the GM employee pricing for all really ended up hurting GM....

The good news now is that rebates are down, and transaction prices are up!

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Great ride dude.

I even had enough money left over to buy a team of Dalmatians to ride out in front and take care of any slow drivers that get in my way!

Silock
02-11-2007, 10:57 PM
When I bought my latest car, around a year and a half ago and also an Acura the certified pre-owned was a big turn off for me. The dealerships in my area used it as a way to charge too much of a premium and were not willing to negotiate much.

That sucks. The good news is that in the world of cars, especially used cars, there is always someone willing to deal.

Miles
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
That sucks. The good news is that in the world of cars, especially used cars, there is always someone willing to deal.

Very true and patience is key.

Phobia
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I even had enough money left over to buy a team of Dalmatians to ride out in front and take care of any slow drivers that get in my way!

Heh heh. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. Are you playing on the ChiefsPlanet flag football team next year?

Silock
02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Heh heh. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. Are you playing on the ChiefsPlanet flag football team next year?

Well, being that I'm on the Coalition BOD, I don't think they'll let me :)

BTW, I'm still researching the Dalmatian thing. I contacted some dog historians and they e-mailed back that when they got the time, they'd recommend some books for me. But they did say that they were used as war dogs, which meant that they did kill people, but they couldn't remember if it was as recently as the carriage dog era.

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-12-2007, 03:38 PM
They show no data on the detailed information that I broke out for the Trailblazer. However, the Xterra outclasses the Vue in every testing category except for front crash tests. The Vue rated excellent and the Xterra rated very good.Can you tell me what you show for an 07 Saturn Outlook? Thanks everyone for the help. It is appreciated!

Eleazar
02-12-2007, 03:52 PM

That's how I am going to buy from now on.

I can't imagine paying full price for a new car ever again when you can get a car 2 years old that still has some warranty left for 2/3 of that.

recxjake
02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Great news everyone! I think I talked Mr. Iowa Chiefs Fan into getting a Saturn Outlook! I just sent him the GM Supplier Discount! He will be saving at least 1,000 bucks thanks to me and my obsession with GM!

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-12-2007, 07:17 PM
He's right! The Outlook is a very nice vehicle and seems to be much better than the Xterra. If everything goes though tomorrow I'll get some pics posted and let you all know if you should rush out and buy one or not.

recxjake
02-12-2007, 07:29 PM
This just made my day.. thank you for giving GM a fair shake. I'm telling you people... GM is not crap anymore... hopefully one by one, Americans will start coming back to the General!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3SpFxIANtM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3SpFxIANtM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Fairplay
02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Every last one of you guys are losers UNLESS you buy a Saturn!! :cuss:

recxjake
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Every last one of you guys are losers UNLESS you buy a Saturn!! :cuss:

not losers, just not very well informed.... Saturn's on a roll!

Silock
02-12-2007, 08:20 PM
not losers, just not very well informed.... Saturn's on a roll!

Blind brand loyalty is also a form of being uninformed.

recxjake
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Blind brand loyalty is also a form of being uninformed.

your right... however I am informed on other brands... I am just biased towards GM.

Silock
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think there's a word for how biased toward GM you are lol

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't think there's a word for how biased toward GM you are lolHe can be biased all he wants as far as I'm concerned. Not many people actually step up after claiming to be able to have connections to get some big discount etc. He did. It saved me about a thousand dollars I would not have saved otherwise. I would not be purchasing an American SUV if he didn't come through. Thanks man! recxjake, I should probably go ahead and tell you I also love my 06 Ford Mustang GT though :) And I assure you it is impossible to convince me that my Mustang is not the most beautiful beast in the world!

recxjake
02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
He can be biased all he wants as far as I'm concerned. Not many people actually step up after claiming to be able to have connections to get some big discount etc. He did. It saved me about a thousand dollars I would not have saved otherwise. I would not be purchasing an American SUV if he didn't come through. Thanks man! recxjake, I should probably go ahead and tell you I also love my 06 Ford Mustang GT though :) And I assure you it is impossible to convince me that my Mustang is not the most beautiful beast in the world!

I love Ford too... especially the Mustang... I just want the American care companies to make it. Maybe next year I can hook you up with a discount on the new Camaro?!

recxjake
02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if you will get this before tomorrow... but I talked to a Saturn salesman (at a GM forum) tonight... and the Outlook is going to 0% financing forsure tomorrow!

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
We just got home with our new 2007 Saturn Outlook. The hour and fifteen minute ride home was the most comfortable ride I've ever had. Beautiful SUV, wonderful ride, very happy wife! I'll get some pics posted this weekend. Thanks recxjake!

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-14-2007, 09:13 PM
We just got home with our new 2007 Saturn Outlook. The hour and fifteen minute ride home was the most comfortable ride I've ever had. Beautiful SUV, wonderful ride, very happy wife! I'll get some pics posted this weekend. Thanks recxjake!
BTW, doing business with Saturn was a VERY positive experience.

Simply Red
02-14-2007, 09:21 PM

Well, a testimonial is the best sales-tool.

recxjake
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Pictures!!! We need pics!!! I hope you love it.