02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
not Bad

CASHMAN
02-11-2007, 08:08 PM
VERY NICE :clap: :clap: .

CASHMAN.

Simply Red
02-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Watched all of it. It was pretty touching, actually..

luv
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Watched all of it. It was pretty touching, actually..
I cried when the guy started crying from the Marine Corp being in his yard.

noa
02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
That looked like a pretty bad hand injury for Ed. That was a shame. Otherwise, the episode was very uplifting.

kc hopeful
02-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Great stuff!

Get well soon Ed!

luv
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
That looked like a pretty bad hand injury for Ed. That was a shame. Otherwise, the episode was very uplifting.
I'm sure he was well taken care of.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I love that show... what happend this episode?

Delano
02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
How anyone can stand Ty Pennington is beyond my comprehension.

luv
02-11-2007, 08:54 PM
I love that show... what happend this episode?
Marine vet who helped save lives on 9/11 got his house done. One of the carpenters nearly lost the use of his hand. They did surgery on it. When the family came home, the local Marine Corp did a formation in his yard. The dude started crying before he went in the house. It was really touching. Oh, and Yolanda Adams sang the National Anthem as the raised the flag on the flagpole in the front yard.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Marine vet who helped save lives on 9/11 got his house done. One of the carpenters nearly lost the use of his hand. They did surgery on it. When the family came home, the local Marine Corp did a formation in his yard. The dude started crying before he went in the house. It was really touching. Oh, and Yolanda Adams sang the National Anthem as the raised the flag on the flagpole in the front yard.

Is that the same vet that World Trade Center was based on?

luv
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Is that the same vet that World Trade Center was based on?
Haven't seen it, so I don't know. I think this guy's name was Jason Thomas. Something like that. He's from Ohio.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Haven't seen it, so I don't know. I think this guy's name was Jason Thomas. Something like that. He's from Ohio.

yea that's him

LocoChiefsFan
02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by luv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea that's him
Wrong, that movie was based on a New York City Port Authority Police Officer named John McLoughlin.

BigRedChief
02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
How anyone can stand Ty Pennington is beyond my comprehension.
You need to get in touch with your metrosexual side and leave it be.

Anyone who saw this show saw what "real" men are capable of and why this country will always survive because of the Jason Thomas's that step up in times of crisis.

recxjake
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv

Wrong, that movie was based on a New York City Port Authority Police Officer named John McLoughlin.

wasn't that the other guy?

ChiefsFanatic
02-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv

He was the one who found McLoughlin.

big nasty kcnut
02-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Ty PenningtonI mute when he on i like the babes on there and how they make stuffs so fast like that.

Delano
02-12-2007, 06:51 AM
You need to get in touch with your metrosexual side and leave it be.

Anyone who saw this show saw what "real" men are capable of and why this country will always survive because of the Jason Thomas's that step up in times of crisis.

I think the show is a fantastic idea. I think that it would be much more watchable for folks like me if the host was actually compassionate and sincere and not a tool with an annoying voice that loves to scream so much that by the end of the show his narration skills are shot to shit.

Mile High Mania
02-12-2007, 06:52 AM
There definitely needs to be more tears...

HonestChieffan
02-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Next week they are doing a new house for John Goodmans widow

Phobia
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
I hate this show and all those like it. It gives homeowners unrealistic expectations for how long a remodeling project should take. What they don't realize is there's 150 people working on that house around the clock.

BigRedChief
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I hate this show and all those like it. It gives homeowners unrealistic expectations for how long a remodeling project should take. What they don't realize is there's 150 people working on that house around the clock.
whiner :p

HonestChieffan
02-12-2007, 08:55 AM

I like it for the opposite reason. It is amazing what can be done by folks who plan ahead, have material there, and work instead of screwing up the orders, stand around smoking, and discuss the required and allowed breaks they get.

Dartgod
02-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I like it for the opposite reason. It is amazing what can be done by folks who plan ahead, have material there, and work instead of screwing up the orders, stand around smoking, and discuss the required and allowed breaks they get.
Phobia doesn't smoke.

Phobia
02-12-2007, 09:02 AM

Sure but how many remodeling crews are 150 strong? I could hire a lot of people and get a lot done in a little bit of time but how am I supposed to keep all those people busy year around? Plus they're working on a massive budget. If I had half a million with which to remodel a house I could do some amazing things too.

Phobia
02-12-2007, 09:03 AM
You must be talking about a union shop.

e_train69
02-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I had a friend that worked on the house that this show did in the Tulsa area. They worked a couple of days and they pulled their crew out and refused to do anymore, because they were not allowed to do the job right, just fast. He said the houses that are built for this show are pieces of crap that are not built right with all sorts of things wrong with them. For example, one job they were working on, putting up interior doors, they were scrutinized for not getting them up fast enough and the guy told them to not even shim them, just put a couple of nails in the door frame and cover it with trim. He described a lot of other details and flaws that he noticed.

I had always wondered what the quality of work was on a house built in seven days. There are just too many fine details in building a house to be able to get everything right in that amount of time.

Phobia
02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
I had a friend that worked on the house that this show did in the Tulsa area. They worked a couple of days and they pulled their crew out and refused to do anymore, because they were not allowed to do the job right, just fast. He said the houses that are built for this show are pieces of crap that are not built right with all sorts of things wrong with them. For example, one job they were working on, putting up interior doors, they were scrutinized for not getting them up fast enough and the guy told them to not even shim them, just put a couple of nails in the door frame and cover it with trim. He described a lot of other details and flaws that he noticed.

I had always wondered what the quality of work was on a house built in seven days. There are just too many fine details in building a house to be able to get everything right in that amount of time.

I can't even begin to imagine the issues in those houses. Just for starters, all the wood is gonna be crap because you have a house where the humidity is through the roof because of all the wet drywall mud, paint, and drying masonry and then finish carpenters come in to do tight joints and floor guys are laying wood floors. I'd hate to see the gaps in a few weeks when the humidity stabilizes to normal.

Sure it looks really nice for the reveal but I want to see them do a followup a year after the show. I know one of the homes in KC has already been sold. I don't know if the guy had trouble or if he just wanted to make a buck.

HonestChieffan
02-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I suppose a house built really slow will be perfect. One must think this through.

Joe Seahawk
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I was watching Riding Giants (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389326/) on Discovery HD.. What a great show that was..

Phobia
02-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I suppose a house built really slow will be perfect. One must think this through.

Do you really think that's an honest rebuttal? Many big homebuilders shortcut and build crap. Due to budget constraints I've even had to shortcut things and do things that weren't ideal - not by my choice but because I was only given a limited budget with which to work. But there are a lot of people who do really good work that will last a lifetime. I don't think putting up a house in a week is realistic by any standard.

Chief Henry
02-12-2007, 09:47 AM
I can't even begin to imagine the issues in those houses. Just for starters, all the wood is gonna be crap because you have a house where the humidity is through the roof because of all the wet drywall mud, paint, and drying masonry and then finish carpenters come in to do tight joints and floor guys are laying wood floors. I'd hate to see the gaps in a few weeks when the humidity stabilizes to normal.

Sure it looks really nice for the reveal but I want to see them do a followup a year after the show. I know one of the homes in KC has already been sold. I don't know if the guy had trouble or if he just wanted to make a buck.

:hmmm: There's a TV show waiting to be produced right there.

It could be done on CBS or NBC. Go in two years later and see
how the hosue is looking. Your on to something.

Frazod
02-12-2007, 10:02 AM
My wife loves this show, so I get stuck watching it occasionally.

Yeah, I'm sure the people who get the new houses are wonderful and deserving. But these weepy, disingenuous sapfests send me into saccharin overload after about 10 minutes. I'd be curious to see if Pennington is the same loving paragon of virtue he claims to be when the camera isn't rolling. Somehow I'm thinking no.

And I've always wondered how well these instant homes would hold up when the camera crews went away and real life settled in. I guess I got my answer to that question.

Iowanian
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I anxiously await the show that follows up with all of these people in 5 years.

You know the plot. Their $30k house has been turned into a $275k house doubled in size, their utility bills are way up, and property taxes have been reassessed and they can't afford them, lose the house to tax sale and live in thier cousin's basement.

I can't imagine the quality of construction is worth a hoot, not unlike some of the habitat houses. ALot of volunteers, alot of ametures, working on a tight timeline. how can the mud/tape be dry on the drywall? How can it dry and be sanded smooth? Is the paint dry when the Trim goes in?

I've been on a Habitat site, where volunteer women put up siding crooked, while the overseer smiled, and then after they left for the night, redid it, so as not to hurt feelings.

Very few things that happen that quickly, can be of much quality in my estimation.

BigRedChief
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
You know the plot. Their $30k house has been turned into a $275k house doubled in size, their utility bills are way up, and property taxes have been reassessed and they can't afford them, lose the house to tax sale and live in thier cousin's basement.
On most of the shows the old mortgage gets paid off by someone.

Fish
02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I read an article about this show and others like it a while back, I really wish I could find it again... But it greatly reinforced a lot of the criticism already in this thread.... shoddy rushed construction, very low quality materials, etc. It focused quite a bit on the producers angle as well, and showed how many of these families in need were chosen... and how some were told they were a finalist for a new house/remodel/etc., only to be later denied because they weren't a good enough sob story. In the article they had a home inspector go through some of these homes, and he started pointing out problem after problem after problem.

Not to say they aren't trying to do a good thing for these people, but the way they do it, it's very clear that they're more concerned about making the target demographic cry than they are with seeing the family get a quality home.

Eleazar
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I read an article about this show and others like it a while back, I really wish I could find it again... But it greatly reinforced a lot of the criticism already in this thread.... shoddy rushed construction, very low quality materials, etc. It focused quite a bit on the producers angle as well, and showed how many of these families in need were chosen... and how some were told they were a finalist for a new house/remodel/etc., only to be later denied because they weren't a good enough sob story. In the article they had a home inspector go through some of these homes, and he started pointing out problem after problem after problem.

Not to say they aren't trying to do a good thing for these people, but the way they do it, it's very clear that they're more concerned about making the target demographic cry than they are with seeing the family get a quality home.

None of the viewers think about that. They just think that one guy is cute and that they get a happy cry out of it every week...

luv
02-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I anxiously await the show that follows up with all of these people in 5 years.

If the house is that shotty, wouldn't that show in the reassessment?

recxjake
02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
If the house is that shotty, wouldn't that show in the reassessment?

no

luv
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
no
Then what's the point of getting your house assessed, if it doesn't show the true value of the home?

luv
02-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Then what's the point of getting your house assessed, if it doesn't show the true value of the home?
Never mind. I'm thinking of an inspection.

Iowanian
02-12-2007, 03:39 PM

You don't have a choice.....Each year, you have to report "updates, additions and remodelling"....if its been on TV, the local assessor knows about it and WILL call.

An "Appraisal" is what you get to determine the market value of a home.

An "assessment" is what the local govt determines the home to be in taxable value. They apply the taxes for Local, streets, Schools(most) at a levy rate per thousand in value.

Why is this an issue?

You're poor. You're struggling and living in a ghetto house valued at $30k. Your yearly tax bill is $900.

Home Makeover TV triples the size of your home, builds it like new, adds some fancy amenaties like hot tubs, large decks.....and your home value becomes $250k.....now, your Yearly tax bill is $4500.....

you're the same guy, making the same $11/hr who was struggling beforehand....now you've got an additional bill. When you can't pay your taxes.....you either sell the house or lose it to tax sale.

the same thing happens alot with people who win the lottery. "I won $2mil, I'm going to build a $1.5mil house"....."I won the lottery, I'd better buy some new cars, furniture and go on some trips"

"Wtf, how am I gonna pay THAT bill every year?" "Whoa, the maintenence on the outdoor pool and the hot'ub are out of site"

Knob
02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
All together now......1.....2.....3.....MOVE THAT BUS BIOTCH!

Frosty
02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
I've always wondered what the federal tax hit was on these makeovers and how the people, who are usually poor, afford it? I've also wondered what these mansions in the ghetto will look like in a year or two? I have also wondered why they will build these giant houses for a single mother with a bunch of kids that are in their late teens and early twenties. What is she going to do when they all move out in a year or two?

The show made a lot more sense early on, when they simply remodeled the house or built a reasonable sized house. Now it just seems wasteful.

HonestChieffan
02-13-2007, 08:43 AM
The solution is to only build the house for folks who can afford it.