PDA

View Full Version : Gretz, Re: Arrowhead naming rights

Direckshun
02-12-2007, 08:28 AM
From Gretz's Mailbag Musings (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/02/12/gretz_mailbag_musings/):

Aaron: “I read the other day that the Chiefs are trying to sell naming rights to Arrowhead. Is Lamar turning over in his grave?”

No. Aaron, you have to understand that Lamar Hunt was a traditionalist, but he was also a businessman. He would not be surprised or upset by the idea. This didn’t just come up. It’s been talked about around Arrowhead for years and Lamar was part of those discussions. I think if he were alive, he would make sure that if a sponsorship deal gets done and there is a name change, it would be done tastefully and without taking away the flavor of what it means when you say “Arrowhead.”

This is part of the world of professional sports. The Chiefs are a business and they compete against 31 other businesses. They must use all avenues to create revenue, just to keep up with the Jones. Naming rights is one way to do that. It should produce significant revenue for the team, meaning many millions of dollars each year. Last year, 18 of the 32 teams played in stadiums with naming rights deals.

Just remember this: what makes Arrowhead special is not the concrete and steel of the building, but the people sitting in the seats. As long as those seats are filled and the fans in them are excited about their team, it doesn’t matter what the stadium is called.

Direckshun
02-12-2007, 08:29 AM
That last paragraph is a hoot to me. It sounds like one of those consoling comments your mom made after a loss in the car on the drive home.

Chief Henry
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Tonight on ESPN Monday Night Football we welcome you to the Kingsford Charcoal stadium at the Gates Bar B Q Sports Complex in Kansas City, Missouri where the KC Chiefs will host the ________.

HonestChieffan
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Much ado about nothing.

Chiefs_Fan
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
much dodo!

StcChief
02-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Conagra - (Hunt's field) is perfect fit.

Archie Bunker
02-12-2007, 11:21 AM
If it means more money to spend on FAs I don't have a problem with it at all. It's going to happen sooner or later.

BigRedChief
02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
If it means more money to spend on FAs I don't have a problem with it at all.
There will be no corelation between naming rights and FA's. Just another $3-5 million more in profit to add to the Hunt Midwest fortune.
It's going to happen sooner or later.
yes, unfortuntly it's inevitable.

crazycoffey
02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Hallmark field

“When You Care Enough to give the Very Best”

crazycoffey
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
If it means more money to spend on FAs I don't have a problem with it at all. It's going to happen sooner or later.

probably more money to help with the rolling roof, so we can win the SB bid.

dj56dt58
02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
What is this FA thing you speak of?

|Zach|
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
What is this FA thing you speak of?
This post seems to indicate the Chiefs are not active in free agency.

ROFL

FAX
02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
The Chiefs didn't have any scorers
The offensive players were borers
So, to keep fans appealed
They renamed the field
To "Peterson's Shit House Of Horrors."

FAX

Archie Bunker
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
They renamed the field

FAX

:LOL:

BigRedChief
02-12-2007, 01:57 PM
They renamed the field

FAX
ROFL
Gaz who?

Halfcan
02-12-2007, 02:57 PM
It will always be called Arrowhead-no matter what gay name they slap on there to squeeze even more money into the greedy Hunts pockets.

What a surprise Bob sounds just like carl. I wonder if he gets tired of having Carls arm up his ass like a sock, puppet. You dont even see carls lips move anymore.

Halfcan
02-12-2007, 02:57 PM
The place is called ARROWHEAD! Leave it alone you stoopid greedy D#cks!!

crazycoffey
02-12-2007, 03:03 PM
They renamed the field

FAX

a new winner!

Tribal Warfare
02-12-2007, 03:41 PM
seriously, when I'm at the game and hear "welcome to Kotex stadium" I'm gonna boo bigtime.

CoMoChief
02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
It will always be known as Arrowhead Stadium.

Kinda like Sandstone Ampitheatre. I dont call it Verizon Wireless, to me it will always be Sandstone.

Bob Dole
02-12-2007, 05:38 PM
What a surprise Bob sounds just like carl. I wonder if he gets tired of having Carls arm up his ass like a sock, puppet. You dont even see carls lips move anymore.

He should just have his name legally changed to Howard Handupme.

sportsman1
02-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I think most of us are emotionally attached to the name "arrowhead" and yeah I would still go no matter what its called but it just saddens me that the organization would do that and stoop that when they have always been one of the few teams that have been able to rise above it. They can have corporate sponsering at the practice fields or arenas but not the sacridity of the Stadium.

Pushead2
02-12-2007, 05:51 PM
"Welcome to "Grab your Ankles Stadium" as the Chiefs kick off 2007 against the Vikings." That pretty much sums it up.

mcan
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
It will always be called Arrowhead-no matter what gay name they slap on there to squeeze even more money into the greedy Hunts pockets.

I guess you were expecting a letter to the front office make the Chiefs' brass go: "Oh my GOD, WHAT ARE WE DOING!? I'm so ashamed... Thank you, random fan... Thank you... We almost made a huge mistake!"

mcan
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I think most of us are emotionally attached to the name "arrowhead" and yeah I would still go no matter what its called but it just saddens me that the organization would do that and stoop that when they have always been one of the few teams that have been able to rise above it. They can have corporate sponsering at the practice fields or arenas but not the sacridity of the Stadium.

There isn't anything wrong with selling advertising space. There is very little to no difference between hanging an advertisment on the side of the field or on the jumbotron of the stadium and just renaming the stadium. It's advertising space, and if someone is going to pay you for something as arbitrary as "wording" you're a fool not to take it.

I would absolutely change my name to "Likes Diet Pepsi" McCann for a couple million dollars... My friends can still call me Matt, my enemies can still call me a$$hole. It doesn't change who I am, what I do, what I like, or what I AM like. It's free money!

Extra Point
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I like the idea of Hallmark Field:

"Where you care enough to send the very best

of your money to fill somebody elses' pockets...."

FAX
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I think the issue, Mr. mcan, is tradition.

Plus, there are still people who like the idea that some things are not for sale. Idealistic, I know, but there it is.

FAX

milkman
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
There isn't anything wrong with selling advertising space. There is very little to no difference between hanging an advertisment on the side of the field or on the jumbotron of the stadium and just renaming the stadium. It's advertising space, and if someone is going to pay you for something as arbitrary as "wording" you're a fool not to take it.

I would absolutely change my name to "Likes Diet Pepsi" McCann for a couple million dollars... My friends can still call me Matt, my enemies can still call me a$$hole. It doesn't change who I am, what I do, what I like, or what I AM like. It's free money!

Everyone, friends and enemies, call me asshole.

It eliminates the confusion.

sportsman1
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
See but the deal with stadium avertising is EVERYONE in the media and across the country calls it that. It might not be a big deal to us as fans of the Chiefs but people across the country will start calling it whatever Coporatation Field forgeting our tradition. If they sold corporate sponsership on the field it probably wouldnt bother me as much. Lamars Idea of naming the roof didnt bother me either but we see how that turned out. There are plenty of other ways to make an extra buck i just dont want the tradition thrown out. Fax is right the ideal that some things are not for sale has always stayed true with the stadium and Lamar.

mcan
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
See but the deal with stadium avertising is EVERYONE in the media and across the country calls it that. It might not be a big deal to us as fans of the Chiefs but people across the country will start calling it whatever Coporatation Field forgeting our tradition. If they sold corporate sponsership on the field it probably wouldnt bother me as much. Lamars Idea of naming the roof didnt bother me either but we see how that turned out. There are plenty of other ways to make an extra buck i just dont want the tradition thrown out. Fax is right the ideal that some things are not for sale has always stayed true with the stadium and Lamar.

I just think that if the name is tasteful, then we're being WAY too precious over a word.

We could always include "Arrowhead" in the new name.

milkman
02-12-2007, 07:30 PM

You're joking, right?

Did you ever call Candlestick Park by whatever corporate name they had?

Who is the corporate sponsor at the Murph in San Diego?

People don't remember who paid money to have their names attached to stadiums.

They only remember the traditional names.

FAX
02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I noticed that Wiffle Ball, Inc. sponsors team sports.

Maybe they would be interested?

Wiffle Ball Corporation (http://www.wiffle.com)

FAX

CarolinaChiefz
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
"Just remember this: what makes Arrowhead special is not the concrete and steel of the building, but the people sitting in the seats. As long as those seats are filled and the fans in them are excited about their team..."

I'm sure this exactly the verbage they used when they looked for money for stadium improvements, yes? It's not the building that matters, it's the people filling the seats.

I mean...the building doesn't matter, correct? What an almost tragic divergence from previous logic.

milkman
02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
"Just remember this: what makes Arrowhead special is not the concrete and steel of the building, but the people sitting in the seats. As long as those seats are filled and the fans in them are excited about their team..."

I'm sure this exactly the verbage they used when they looked for money for stadium improvements, yes? It's not the building that matters, it's the people filling the seats.

I mean...the building doesn't matter, correct? What an almost tragic divergence from previous logic.

I'm fairly certain that everyone that attends events at Arrowhead agreed that improvements were/are necessary.

What he is trying to convey is that the name of the stadium is far less important than the atmosphere.

wazu
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
You're joking, right?

I actually still call what was Candlestick 3com park. I don't even know what the Murph is. Is that the same as Qualcomm?

And don't forget INVESCO!

Bugeater
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Qualcomm.

|Zach|
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.zcphotography.com/images/header2.jpg

milkman
02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Qualcomm.

I knew someone here would know it.

FAX
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm fairly certain that everyone that attends events at Arrowhead agreed that improvements were/are necessary.

What he is trying to convey is that the name of the stadium is far less important than the atmosphere.

Actually, I think Gretz is attempting to confound us through the use of contradictory and discrepant arguments, Mr. milkman.

The NFL knows that, the more utterly befuddled a fan base, the more tickets and beer you sell.

FAX

Bugeater
02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I knew someone here would know it.
The only reason I knew it is because it hasn't changed for quite a few years, while Candlestick has changed sponsors several times. That's what irritates me, the name changes. I hope whoever they sell the rights to is someone who's going to be around for a while.

ChiefsCountry
02-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Its not Candlestick its Monster Park, geez get it right.

sportsman1
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Mile high is called Invesco by those here in texas. The Ballpark in Arlington people actually call it Ameriquest. There are several things it can do to the national idenity. Locally it would done slim to nil. If the corporate sponser made to where ticket prices and parking were lowered id be all for it.

Halfcan
02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I just think that if the name is tasteful, then we're being WAY too precious over a word.

We could always include "Arrowhead" in the new name.

Why not change the name of the Chiefs too. KC tampons sounds nice-he its free money.

Halfcan
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
It will always be known as Arrowhead Stadium.

Kinda like Sandstone Ampitheatre. I dont call it Verizon Wireless, to me it will always be Sandstone.

Yep I still call it Standstoned-lol

Halfcan
02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I guess you were expecting a letter to the front office make the Chiefs' brass go: "Oh my GOD, WHAT ARE WE DOING!? I'm so ashamed... Thank you, random fan... Thank you... We almost made a huge mistake!"

Carl has made it clear for many years he doesnt care about the fans. Point is you take a KC Landmark and the Best name in the NFL and change to some stoopid corporate shit, just to put more money in that greedy bastard Clarks pocket.

I guess it doesnt matter to part time fans-but to people that have been going there since it opened, it is a big kick in the nuts.

|Zach|
02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I think you love hearing yourself bitch more than you are unhappy with anything the Chiefs could do.

jidar
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
You're joking, right?

People don't remember who paid money to have their names attached to stadiums.

They only remember the traditional names.

I had forgotten it was called the Murph, I thought of it as Qualcomm and it only just hit me when you said it.

Swear to god. I think of Invesco as Invesco and ... well.
When they call them that enough times on TV, that's what they become.

milkman
02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I had forgotten it was called the Murph, I thought of it as Qualcomm and it only just hit me when you said it.

Swear to god. I think of Invesco as Invesco and ... well.
When they call them that enough times on TV, that's what they become.

I do think of Invesco as Invesco since it's not the old Mile High.

Direckshun
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I always think of Denver.

Mile High Stadium was a tradition. It was magnificent, even though I hated it with my entire soul.

Invesco field? What a joke.

HMc
02-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Actually Gretz' argument about the Chiefs operating in a competitive market against 31 other teams is complete BS. The NFL is a commune, they share consolidated profits and get to keep some of the profits they make from naming, luxury suites etc. My point is its not like they're doing this so they can lower the price of their product so more people will buy it, they're doing in to increase company profit.

mcan
02-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Carl has made it clear for many years he doesnt care about the fans. Point is you take a KC Landmark and the Best name in the NFL and change to some stoopid corporate shit, just to put more money in that greedy bastard Clarks pocket.

I guess it doesnt matter to part time fans-but to people that have been going there since it opened, it is a big kick in the nuts.

Wow, here is where I assume you didn't just mean to call me a "part time" fan. This is that point in the conversation where I CHOOSE not to get offended and just remind you that I have every game on tape going back to the 2000 season, and watch them (even the losses) quite often. This is the part where I casually mention that I got my college theatre scholorship taken away because I set up a television in the dressing room backstage and watched a Chiefs game during our Sunday matinee. This is the part where I mention that I have been known to go to games BY MYSELF with a standing room only ticket. Here is where I mention that, on more than one occaision, I have had a really sh!tty night and to make myself feel better I've driven up to Arrowhead stadium to sit in my car in the parking lot and look at the building. You happen to talking to a guy that has dreams about walking on the field.

Chiefs football is like a drug to me. When we win, I'm completely elated. When we lose, I'm beside myself with grief. There is no logic or reason behind my complete and total, sad devotion to this team and this league. And yeah, I love Arrowhead stadium. If tomorrow, they change the name to "Warner Brothers Stadium" I'll miss the old name, and move on. At no point, will I consider Clark Hunt a "greedy bastard" nor will I blame the Chiefs for following a trend that they didn't start. Nor will the building itself become less special to me.

jspchief
02-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Actually Gretz' argument about the Chiefs operating in a competitive market against 31 other teams is complete BS. The NFL is a commune, they share consolidated profits and get to keep some of the profits they make from naming, luxury suites etc. My point is its not like they're doing this so they can lower the price of their product so more people will buy it, they're doing in to increase company profit.Not entirely. There is profit sharing, but there are also income sources that are not subject to profit sharing such as luxury boxes and stadium naming rights. There's a reason the Washington Redskins can spend money like they do.

I wonder how many people bitching about this are the same people that bitch about our lack of FA activity?

The bottom line is it will put more money in the pockets of the owner, allowing him to maintain his profit margin while spending more on the football team. Clark Hunt is not going to take a paycut to bring in more free agents, any more than the McDonalds fry cook wants to take a pay cut so that your fat asses can have tastier fries. So knowing that The owner is going to get his paycheck regardless, increasing team income has a positive effect on our chances to compete financially with the rest of the NFL.

KC is already at a disadvantage by being in a 3rd rate city in the midwest without the wealth or corporate residence to bring in money like someplace like Dallas. As much as I love tradition, I'd just as soon pass on it if it's going to hamstring the team's ability to be competitive.

BigRedChief
02-13-2007, 07:44 AM
If the corporate sponser made to where ticket prices and parking were lowered id be all for it.
ROFL Your a funny man

the Talking Can
02-13-2007, 07:44 AM
we should call it "Suckers Field"

BigRedChief
02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
KC is already at a disadvantage by being in a 3rd rate city in the midwest without the wealth or corporate residence to bring in money like someplace like Dallas.
Dang man you going to start dissing the BBQ now?

InChiefsHeaven
02-13-2007, 08:03 AM
*Sponsor Name* Arrowhead Stadium.

Like Qwest Arrowhead Stadium or something. In fact, I thought that Invesco is actually Invesco Stadium at Mile High or something like that.

I always thought I'd call Denver stadium Mile High, but I find over the last couple of seasons, I just refer to it as Invesco. I don't want that to happen in KC, but it probably will.

I'm surprised it took so long actually.

jspchief
02-13-2007, 08:12 AM
*Sponsor Name* Arrowhead Stadium.

Like Qwest Arrowhead Stadium or something. In fact, I thought that Invesco is actually Invesco Stadium at Mile High or something like that.

I always thought I'd call Denver stadium Mile High, but I find over the last couple of seasons, I just refer to it as Invesco. I don't want that to happen in KC, but it probably will.

I'm surprised it took so long actually.IMO Denver is a poor comparison because it's an entirely new/different stadium. Mile High was bull-dozed into a parking lot for Incestco.

Arrowhead will still be Arrowhead.

But other than that, I agree about keeping Arrowhead in the name.

Mile High Mania
02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
"His momma called him Clay, I'm gonna call him Clay"

I still call it Mile High and it's in the official logo, so I don't let it bother me. It was upsetting at first, but this is inevitable with every team.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/WYSIWYG/invescologo.jpg

Chief Chief
02-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Recent Super Bowl winners and the names of their stadiums:

Indiacrapolis Dolts - RCA Dome
Pittscourge Squealers - Heinz Field
Boo England Patsies - Gillette Stadium
Dumver Bonkos - Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium
St. Loser Lambs - Edwards Jones Dome

No matter what official title is assigned to our stadium, we'll always call it Arrowhead!

Wile_E_Coyote
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
No company wants to attach their name to the product at this time?

Hammock Parties
11-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Warpaint Illustrated Stadium

King_Chief_Fan
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
It can be called Herm's toilet for all I care.

He has buried the Arrowhead magic with the team he is fielding/coaching.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
After DV's drafts: McDonald's Farm Club

crazycoffey
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Recent Super Bowl winners and the names of their stadiums:

Indiacrapolis Dolts - RCA Dome
Pittscourge Squealers - Heinz Field
Boo England Patsies - Gillette Stadium
Dumver Bonkos - Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium
St. Loser Lambs - Edwards Jones Dome

No matter what official title is assigned to our stadium, we'll always call it Arrowhead!

Hey you uncovered the secret to why we can't win the big ones!
So - it's not carl after all...... :hmmm:

RustShack
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Should have got the rolling roof...

StcChief
11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Should have got the rolling roof...
start a shell corp called Arrowhead Roofing and work that angle.

Demonpenz
11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
to call it something other than arrowhead is retarded. Maybe it could be Hank stram staduim at derrick thomas field that wouldn't be so bad