PDA

View Full Version : nft - crab meat

seclark
02-13-2007, 09:12 AM
had a guy send me some packaged crab meat from maryland.

anybody know how the hell to cook this shit? boil it like crab legs, or feed it to the dogs and just grill some steaks?

thanks in advance,
sec

Kraut
02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Is it just the meat not legs or anything

seclark
02-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Is it just the meat not legs or anything
just meat.
sec

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 09:14 AM
crab cakes.

Phobia
02-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Nuke it into rubber.

Seriously though, steam it just like you would vegetables. Throw some creole seasoning liberally into the water to get a little flavor.

Kraut
crab cakes.
Thats my thought .......but there are many other ways to cook it up.

Phobia
It's done when it starts to flake apart.

Kraut
02-13-2007, 09:17 AM
make a good crab dip

Simply Red
breadcrumbs, eggs, cayenne pepper, diced shallot, white wine, chopped scallions, do some research online for recipes.

or-

you could sautee it in butter add some garlic and white pepper and salt and stuff it inside a fillet.

RNR
The feed it to the dogs and grill some steaks idea sounds good.

BucEyedPea
02-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm assuming it's pre-cooked? Sounds it if packaged.
If so make crab meat salad with it.
Just as in tuna...with mayo, maybe some celery...it's delicious
Or you can make crab cakes...but that's more complicated. Yummy though!
Some recipes on cooks.com!!

seclark
02-13-2007, 09:19 AM
The feed it to the dogs and grill some steaks idea sounds good.
and if the dogs don't get the shits, i can open the 2nd package and try it myself...
thanks to all.
sec

Phobia
02-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Crab cakes sounds really good. You could also do a nice bisque.

seclark
02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
bisque.
you get a kick out of making me google, don't you?
sec

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
He/She Crab Soup. (GoChiefs favorite)

No actually it is called She-Crab soup.

Google it. I really think that'd be your best option...

BucEyedPea
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Crab cakes sounds really good. You could also do a nice bisque.
Umm...crab bisque, also very good with some sherry in it.

Stewie
02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Make sure you check the meat for bits of shell. You don't want to bust a tooth.

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Today's a really good day for a thick chowder.

HemiEd
02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
He/She Crab Soup. (GoChiefs favorite)

No actually it is called She-Crab soup.

Google it. I really think that'd be your best option...

She Crab soup is incredible. Your friend sent you a very nice gift SEC, it takes a lot of those little crabs to amount to anything.

Iowanian
02-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Somehow, I doubt this is the first time you've had crabs, Old timer.

You should probably just pour some Ivomec, Watered down Worbex or head to walmart for some RID.

You know the drill.

I'm surprised the Polar Bear Dip didn't freeze them off.

seclark
02-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Somehow, I doubt this is the first time you've had crabs, Old timer.

You should probably just pour some Ivomec, Watered down Worbex or head to walmart for some RID.

You know the drill.

I'm surprised the Polar Bear Dip didn't freeze them off.
20 replies before someone references the itchies...this place is really failing, buddy.
sec

Iowanian
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
If it weren't for this damn work interefering...I'd have been on this an hour ago.

You live damn near in the Ozarks....Just have Josie Wales Spit some chaw on em'.

boogblaster
02-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Got in late so don't itch em they multiply..wrap yourself in saran-wrap for two weeks they'll suffocate...

Kraut
02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Today's a really good day for a thick chowder.
Dude my sick mind is saying that your statement sounds bad lol ROFL

RJ
02-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Is it backfin or claw meat? Very important question. If it's backfin go with the crab cakes. If Old Bay seasoning is available in your area buy some and use the recipe on the side of the can. It is foolproof.

If it's claw meat I'd suggest crab soup. It's really quite simple. You'll need that same Old Bay, some beef broth, maybe a piece of smoked ham and some vegetables.

I've cooked lots of both. Nothing too complicated, the less you do the better it will be.

RJ
02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
If it's claw meat and you do soup, here's a basic recipe that is very traditional. It calls for crab claws as well as the meat but, hey, you can't have everything.

It is of vital importance that this crab be treated properly. Every morsel is precious and damned expensive. I periodically have steamed crabs or oysters shipped in from Maryland or Virginia, they should be treated with great reverence.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maryland-Crab-Soup/Detail.aspx

Wile_E_Coyote
02-13-2007, 12:51 PM
feed it to the dogs

thanks in advance,
sec

do you have to rub peanut butter on your balls first?

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
If it's claw meat and you do soup, here's a basic recipe that is very traditional. It calls for crab claws as well as the meat but, hey, you can't have everything.

It is of vital importance that this crab be treated properly. Every morsel is precious and damned expensive. I periodically have steamed crabs or oysters shipped in from Maryland or Virginia, they should be treated with great reverence.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maryland-Crab-Soup/Detail.aspx
Lima Beans in the crab soup?

RJ
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Lima Beans in the crab soup?

This isn't a creamy crab soup. Maryland crab soup is a more rustic type, that's why the recipe usually uses claw meat rather than the pricier backfin. Traditionally, the meat would come from leftover bluefin claws that had been steamed. The next day they get tossed into beef broth and tomatoes with a little beef or pork or ham and simmered for a while. At the end you add limas, corn, cabbage.....whatever you gots. It's delicious but not fancy. Like most really good food it was poor people fare back in the day.

That's why I asked claw or backfin meat. For crabcakes or other recipes where the crab is the dominant flavor backfin is better. Here is the crab cake recipe from the side of the old bay can. It is very simple, almost foolproof, and tastes great because it is primarily lump crab with very little seasoning and some stuff to hold it all together.

http://www.mccormick.com/recipedetail.cfm?ID=951

DeepPurple
02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Here in Maryland, eating crab cakes is like having pizza in most parts of the country. Voted as having the best crab cakes in Maryland is a place called Box Hill Pizza (Abingdon, MD) (http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/maryland_crab_cakes/seafood_jumbo_lump_crab_cakes_abingdon_harford_county.html) they're about 1/2 mile from my house, with cole slaw and fries the crab cake dinner is $12.95. Check out the link to see what a crab cake should look like. The most famous crab cakes in Maryland is "Phillips Crab House", they have one at the harbor in downtown Baltimore and in Ocean City at the beach. They also sell theirs in the frozen food section of most of the supermarkets in Maryland, you get two crab cakes for $7.99 and then you just heat them in the oven, they're pretty good.

The best are my wife's crab cakes, generally backfin is about $17-$20 a pound at the fresh seafood section of the grocery store, anytime we see it on sale for $10-$12 a pound, about once a month, she'll pick up a pound can and she can make about eight small crab cakes from a can when mixed with all the ingredients. We cook them on the side-burner of our grill out on the deck so the house doesn't smell like a seafood restaurant. Hers are the best of them all and when served with crackers and some Lea & Perrin Sauce along with some sides like cole slaw and baked beans and you've got a really great meal.

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Here in Maryland, eating crab cakes is like having pizza in most parts of the country. Voted as having the best crab cakes in Maryland is a place called Box Hill Pizza (Abingdon, MD) (http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/maryland_crab_cakes/seafood_jumbo_lump_crab_cakes_abingdon_harford_county.html) they're about 1/2 mile from my house, with cole slaw and fries the crab cake dinner is $12.95. Check out the link to see what a crab cake should look like. The most famous crab cakes in Maryland is "Phillips Crab House", they have one at the harbor in downtown Baltimore and in Ocean City at the beach. They also sell theirs in the frozen food section of most of the supermarkets in Maryland, you get two crab cakes for $7.99 and then you just heat them in the oven, they're pretty good.

The best are my wife's crab cakes, generally backfin is about $17-$20 a pound at the fresh seafood section of the grocery store, anytime we see it on sale for $10-$12 a pound, about once a month, she'll pick up a pound can and she can make about eight small crab cakes from a can when mixed with all the ingredients. We cook them on the side-burner of our grill out on the deck so the house doesn't smell like a seafood restaurant. Hers are the best of them all and when served with crackers and some Lea & Perrin Sauce along with some sides like cole slaw and baked beans and you've got a really great meal.

Yep Phillips also runs a restaurant. They have one in Myrtle Beach as well. They package their goods and sell them. As the article mentions you can actually buy their crab-cakes at Costco.

Phobia
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I eat those crab-cakes from Costco like they're candy.

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 03:36 PM
yep they're tasty.

RJ
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
DeepPurple, you are making this former Baltimoron hungry with all that talk....crab cakes, slaw, baked beans.....that's good eatin'.

I think the best crab cakes I've ever had are from Angelina's in northeast Baltimore on Harford Road. Weird little place, Italian restaurant with an Irish pub downstairs and fantastic crab cakes that they ship all around the world. I'd recommend it if you ever find yourself in the area.

crazycoffey
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm assuming it's pre-cooked? Sounds it if packaged.
If so make crab meat salad with it.
Just as in tuna...with mayo, maybe some celery...it's delicious
Or you can make crab cakes...but that's more complicated. Yummy though!
Some recipes on cooks.com!!

this and the bisque sound the best.

as far as the itchies,that's gross.....

DeepPurple
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I think the best crab cakes I've ever had are from Angelina's in northeast Baltimore on Harford Road.
I heard Angelina's was good, but I don't get down to Parkville too much unless it's to see my grandmother. We moved from the White Marsh/Perry Hall area out here to Abingdon in 1998 because that area is getting too congested and too much crime. Anyway, I've got 'Box Hill Pizza' right here where I live. Checkout the link in my first post, they were voted Best in Maryland.

HonestChieffan
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Saute one chopped small onion in olive oil...
Chop 3 cloves fresh garlic and cook lightly
add a little dried basil and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
salt
pepper...

Add 1 cup of good white wine and simmer..

Add all the crab at the time you start the pasta cooking and shut off the heat

Boils some pasta...linguine comes to mind...cook, drain and toss with the crab..

Serve with a great crusty bread and a bottle of white wine.

Halfcan
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Get some crab boil bags and boil the meat with that. Wrap the meat up in foil but poke a few holes so the water can circulate.

Make up a nice salad-get ranch dressing and blend it with Cookies hot sauce. Put the crab meat in the salad and put the dressing over it.

Makes a quick easy dinner. Healthy too.

RJ
02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I heard Angelina's was good, but I don't get down to Parkville too much unless it's to see my grandmother. We moved from the White Marsh/Perry Hall area out here to Abingdon in 1998 because that area is getting too congested and too much crime. Anyway, I've got 'Box Hill Pizza' right here where I live. Checkout the link in my first post, they were voted Best in Maryland.

You lucky bastard. I've not been there but the pictures sure look good.

Whenever I go back to visit I spend about half my time eating. Crabs, crab cakes, pit beef sandwiches, pizza and subs from my favorite sub shops. I always go to an Italian deli to stock up on some Sun of Italy products I can't get in these parts. Food and Orioles games are probably the things I miss most from there.

Last week my stepdad and myself ordered 4 quarts of oysters. They came out of Virginia. My plan was to eat a few raw, then fry a few and make some oyter stew. But these things were so cold and fresh and tasty that I never got around to cooking my share.....dash of salt, squeeze of lemon, one drop tabasco.....yee-haw........wish there was a way to combine the New Mexico mounains and sunshine with Baltimore food and Orioles games.

Easy 6
02-13-2007, 06:44 PM
[FONT=comic sans ms]breadcrumbs, eggs, cayenne pepper, diced shallot, white wine, chopped scallions, do some research online for recipes.

Yeeeaaah man, thats the ticket right there.

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Cayenne is vital when assembling the Cakes. I don't use cayenne pepper much but I have found it truly belongs in the crab cake mixture. The kick is a welcomed attribute.

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
One last thing SEC. When you find a mixture (crab cake) you like the best way to cook them at home is Melt some butter (a stick per pan) in a aluminum pan in an oven on 425. Scoop the mix and form to your liking in thickness. Critical --> Bake on the bottom rack of the oven. Because what you're trying to do is oven fry them. They'll brown on the bottom (sort of like Salmon Croquettes) keep a close eye on them and flip them when they're golden. Let the other side brown up. Next I'd recommend you use a brown-butter sauce (check online it is a very easy sauce that requires only the butter a saucepan and a whisk) drizzle brown butter sauce over the cakes.

Feel free to PM w/ any ?'s or if you need me to walk you through anything.

;)

-SR

seclark
02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
well, i steamed them till they were flakey. spiced them up w/some stuff on the wife’s spice rack. the wife really liked it, but it seemed kind of slimy to me, unlike crab i've had out east in restaurants. so i opted for a bag of popcorn, and tossed mine out to the mutts.

she's going to use the other package to make the crab cakes and we'll see how that goes.

thanks again,
sec