PDA

View Full Version : Help! A tornado's headed my way!

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Should be near me in about 10 minutes.

seclark
02-13-2007, 11:29 AM
perhaps you should leave your pc and take cover.
sec

Iowanian
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
You've got plenty of time to safely climb onto your roof with a video camera and a couple of beers then.

Gonzo
02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Enjoy!

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL 1117 AM CST TUE FEB 13 2007

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... SOUTHERN BAY COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...PANAMA CITY...LYNN HAVEN... CALLAWAY

* UNTIL NOON CST

* AT 1113 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A DEVELOPING TORNADO 22 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PANAMA CITY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 3 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... UPPER GRAND LAGOON AND LOWER GRAND LAGOON BY 1140 AM CST... PRETTY BAYOU AND PANAMA CITY BY 1145 AM CST...

noa
02-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Just poop your pants and the tornado won't want to come anywhere near you.

JBucc
The safest place to be in a tornado is under an overpass, or so I hear. You better hurry up and get to one.

recxjake
Yikes, my rents live in Jacksonville, hope it doesnt head that way

DMAC
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8282/duckandcoverun5.jpg

StcChief
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Go to the basement...oh wait...FL.

Mile High Mania
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Grab a beer... stand on the porch and like Lt Dan in Forrest Gump... taunt Mother Nature.

Radar Chief
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Whatever you do, stay away from trailer parks. They’re tornado magnets.

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Was watching the TV coverage and they just lost signal as the twister came ashore.

Radar Chief
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
The safest place to be in a tornado is under an overpass, or so I hear. You better hurry up and get to one.

Take it form those of us live’n in “Tornado Alley”, you heard wrong.
A tornado creates such vacuum that it can suck you and your vehicle out of an underpass while just pass’n by. If you get caught on the road, bail from your car and hide in a ditch 'till it passes.

Mile High Mania
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Just make sure you have a camcorder with ya...

htismaqe
02-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Just make sure you have a camcorder with ya...

No chit. I wanna see pictures.

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Looks like it's gonna miss me, but it does appear to be heading toward my son's middle school.

Calcountry
02-13-2007, 11:56 AM
No chit. I wanna see pictures.This thread is USELESS without pics.

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Apparently there were two twisters, both came in from the gulf as waterspouts.

The first one weakened when it hit shore and I think has dissipated into just a severe thunderstorm. The second is more west of here and shouldn't be a threat.

Sorry I couldn't get some pics. Damn storm wouldn't cooperate.

InChiefsHeaven
02-13-2007, 12:03 PM
TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL 1117 AM CST TUE FEB 13 2007

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... SOUTHERN BAY COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...PANAMA CITY...LYNN HAVEN... CALLAWAY

* UNTIL NOON CST

* AT 1113 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A DEVELOPING TORNADO 22 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PANAMA CITY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 3 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... UPPER GRAND LAGOON AND LOWER GRAND LAGOON BY 1140 AM CST... PRETTY BAYOU AND PANAMA CITY BY 1145 AM CST...

Florida? I thought you were at the Gates of Delirium?

chagrin
02-13-2007, 12:03 PM
with credit to Brock...

"TAKE COVER DAMN YOU!"

InChiefsHeaven
02-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Looks like it's gonna miss me, but it does appear to be heading toward my son's middle school.
Oh shit. OK, now it's not funny any more...

chagrin
02-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Florida? I thought you were at the Gates of Delirium?

Dude, he's in Panama City and I am South from him in Orlando, Mahi Mike is in Jacksonville and buceyepea is Further Southwest in Tampa, he IS at the gates of Delirum, lol!

DMAC
02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Dude, he's in Panama City and I am South from him in Orlando, Mahi Mike is in Jacksonville and buceyepea is Further Southwest in Tampa, he IS at the gates of Delirum, lol!eh? You Florida shuffleboarders confuse me. I ain't hip to ya!

StcChief
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Dude, he's in Panama City and I am South from him in Orlando, Mahi Mike is in Jacksonville and buceyepea is Further Southwest in Tampa, he IS at the gates of Delirum, lol!

map dot's for all FL Planeteers.

Don't get blown away. So do ya'll make 'Hurricanes' in Tornado weather.

cdcox
02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry I couldn't get some pics. Damn storm wouldn't cooperate.

What, you don't have a car?

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh shit. OK, now it's not funny any more...

Coast is clear. No reports of schools destroyed.

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
What, you don't have a car?

Not one that refuses to become airborne. :D

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Good to hear you're all safe and sound there dog!!! :thumb:

You never know what's up, I lost a good freind this weekend at 38 with a 6 year old daughter that just bought a house last month.

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM
the gates of delirium?

Sh!t!

chagrin
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
map dot's for all FL Planeteers.

Don't get blown away. So do ya'll make 'Hurricanes' in Tornado weather.

I'm a beer snob, so no - however I have some awesome Vodka that I will maybe sip on tonight, heh

boogblaster
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Get 3 beers a pick shovel flaslite gardenhose for breathing a pieceof ass in case its the end.. you'll be fine....

tiptap
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Take it form those of us live’n in “Tornado Alley”, you heard wrong.
A tornado creates such vacuum that it can suck you and your vehicle out of an underpass while just pass’n by. If you get caught on the road, bail from your car and hide in a ditch 'till it passes.

Not only that but the debris pushed through/under the overpass could hit and kill you. There is that video of some people who lives and recorded a small tornado while under an overpas. They were just lucky.

Lzen
02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Not only that but the debris pushed through/under the overpass could hit and kill you. There is that video of some people who lives and recorded a small tornado while under an overpas. They were just lucky.

Yeah, I was also gonna mention the debris factor. I believe that video was a Tornado that hit near Wichita around 1990.

Rain Man
02-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I wonder what the wind chill would be if you had a tornado in subzero weather.

Anchorman: What's the weather like, Chet?

Weatherman: Well, Ted, it's two degrees below zero outside, but we've also got a tornado coming through, so with the wind, it feels like it's a hundred and seventeen below zero. With a two by four embedded in your chest.

Radar Chief
02-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Yup, I know the video you’re talk’n ‘bout.

Athis
02-13-2007, 05:56 PM
This is crazy a Tornado hit in New Orleans this morning and whipped out houses just re-built from katrina. An old lady was killed in her FEMA trailer. She was to move in her newly re-built house in a few days.

BucEyedPea
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I thought the ones here that came off the water were waterspouts and did not land on land? Anyone know?

Ours are weaker than Tornado Alley, but we have NO basements.

Where does one go when there are no basements?

InChiefsHeaven
02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
I thought the ones here that came off the water were waterspouts and did not land on land? Anyone know?

Ours are weaker than Tornado Alley, but we have NO basements.

Where does one go when there are no basements?

A ditch.

Or the center-most room in your house, and cover up with blankets. But basically, yeah, you'd rather have a basement.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-14-2007, 09:05 AM
If you have a fireplace try climbing up inside the chimney!

BucEyedPea
02-14-2007, 09:11 AM
A ditch.

Or the center-most room in your house, and cover up with blankets. But basically, yeah, you'd rather have a basement.
Not a single room in my house is in the center and I have no chimney.:banghead:

So where next?

And just why is a ditch so safe?

Seems like nowhere is safe here in one of those things.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-14-2007, 09:17 AM
If your house has a crawl space try that!

InChiefsHeaven
02-14-2007, 09:22 AM

So where next?

I guess a ditch is safer because the tornado does not follow the contour of the earth, so it wil go over the ditch...either that or flying debris will hopefully go over the ditch...not sure why, but that is the way we wuz taught in da midwest...:shrug:

BucEyedPea
02-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Interesting InChiefsHell. Never heard that before.

Hog Farmer,
I heard a bathtub with a bed mattress on top.

Which would be the best crawl space:

• under a bed
• inside a small closet
• under kitchen sink
• inside lower kitchen cabinets
• bathtub

InChiefsHeaven
02-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Here are some tips:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tornado_safety

I can't find anything that says WHY you should get in a ditch, but every one of the tips I found on Google suggest this. They also say that if you are in a ditch, be aware of possible flooding.

Seems if you are not in a mobile home, but are in a house without a basement, get into a central room like a closet, or under the dining room table or something like that. Make a plan so you know where you are supposed to go beforehand.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2007, 09:45 AM
They also say that if you are in a ditch, be aware of possible flooding.
Well I can swim. No problem.
I don't have a central room in my house. Closest is my kid's room. ( there's just a wood overhang out in front of it is all...like another exterior wall) I'll go in there and get under her single bed then. That is if we both fit.

Skip Towne
02-14-2007, 09:49 AM

So where next?

Build on a "safe" room or purchase a storm cellar.

Jr_Captain
02-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Yup, I know the video you’re talk’n ‘bout.

That one was labeled the Andover Tornado. I was near by, she was pretty good size.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Build on a "safe" room or purchase a storm cellar.
Ya' know I've considered that on and off. There's supposed to be that new tornado material that's been tested, ( saw it on tv) that halts projectiles from breaking through or even wind. Could be used in a hurricane as well. I guess I could build that around my walk in closet which has enough room for two to sleep in overnight if need be. Wonder what something like that costs and who does it?

But a reason I've been given, down here, for no basements is that the water table is too high. Can't dig far underground. Wouldn't that also be true for a storm cellar?

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Just put on a helment and some pads and enjoy the ride.

Skip Towne
02-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Ya' know I've considered that on and off. There's supposed to be that new tornado material that's been tested, ( saw it on tv) that halts projectiles from breaking through or even wind. Could be used in a hurricane as well. I guess I could build that around my walk in closet which has enough room for two to sleep in overnight if need be. Wonder what something like that costs and who does it?

But a reason I've been given, down here, for no basements is that the water table is too high. Can't dig far underground. Wouldn't that also be true for a storm cellar?
No, my brother builds and sells them (in Kansas). They are made out of sheet steel and are watertight. He buries about 3/4 of the structue and then puts a foot of dirt on the other 1/4. I'll ask him if they work in Florida.

InChiefsHeaven
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM

That's what I've always heard. Can't really dig very deep, but maybe there are guys who know how to do it...

REDHOTGTO
02-14-2007, 10:41 AM
STEP AWAY FROM THE MOBILE HOME !!!! ROFL
really they are magnets for tornados thats why they are made of metal (or at least they used to be) ROFL

Skip Towne
02-15-2007, 10:19 PM

I checked with my brother and he said he thought his buried systems would work in Fla. but wasn't sure. I would check the yellow pages under Storm Cellars to see if there are any dealers for them. I doubt you could build a safe room around an existing room. The ones I have seen around here have poured concrete walls and 3' of concrete for a footing.

Nightwish
02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Look, tornadoes are easy to deal with. All you have to do is detonate a nuclear weapon in the eye, it'll dissipate. You'll have to get used to the mutations and melted flesh, of course, but that's the fun part!

BucEyedPea
02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Look, tornadoes are easy to deal with. All you have to do is detonate a nuclear weapon in the eye, it'll dissipate. You'll have to get used to the mutations and melted flesh, of course, but that's the fun part!
:harumph: :p

Bowser
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Just find a barn full of blades and scythes. I saw that on a safety film with Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt. If that doesn't work, find a water pipe that goes 30 feet down, and secure yourself with leather straps. The hand of God couldn't pull you off of that.

BucEyedPea
02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Just find a barn full of blades and scythes. I saw that on a safety film with Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt. If that doesn't work, find a water pipe that goes 30 feet down, and secure yourself with leather straps. The hand of God couldn't pull you off of that.
ROFL There's no barns around here!
We're just sittin' ducks prayin' and waitin' that it doesn't hit us or passes by.
At least with a hurricane, you get several days warnin' and can get outta here.
But the water pipe sounds pretty good....think I'll haveta look into that one. :p

BucEyedPea
02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
On second thought, there could be some gators in those water pipes.
In fact, I'm pretty sure of it, don't animals have a special sense for such events?

Nightwish
02-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Helen Hunt: "There goes another cow."

Bill Paxton: "Nope, I think that was the same one."

Smed1065
02-16-2007, 02:05 AM

Well you will not have to chase it, just follow it!

Saves many miles.

ChiefFan31
02-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm watching a storm chasers (Tornado Hunters) show right now. Amazing footage in this one. Some June 98 Tornado in Nebraska.

Tornadoes are un-real. Earthquake smirthquake.