PDA

View Full Version : Royals are #28 in early power ranking

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
I was expecting something a little higher.

Alex Gordon will be the best rookie on the planet, but there's little else to care about in KC these days. Of course, the comeback attempt of Zach Greinke could be somewhat compelling. On the whole, there's no team in baseball that's a surer bet to finish in last place.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings?MSNHPHCP&GT1=9131

Rooster
02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
So they're saying there is a chance. :)

Sully
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
No team in baseball is a surer bet to finish last?

Have they heard of Tampa?

noa
02-13-2007, 01:51 PM
I think we might be ranked a little higher if we didn't play in such a tough division. I'm sure people are expecting us to get hammered regularly by the Indians, White Sox, and Tigers.

StcChief
02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Royals the only team to be eliminated from post season play before season begins. will be Lucky to be .500

Marlboro_Chief
02-13-2007, 01:58 PM

WRONG! Tampa Bay has more talent than Baltimore.

Archie Bunker
02-13-2007, 02:01 PM
The Royals are going to surprise some people this year. The offense is respectable and the pitching staff has been completely overhauled. They might finish last in the Central but it won't be as dreadful to watch.

75-87

Messier
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I was expecting something a little higher.]

Why would anyone rank a team that has lost 100 games in four of the last five seasons any higher?

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Haven't followed the Royal in years last I recall though the talent was there.

nychief
02-13-2007, 02:10 PM
**** them. We are the whipping boy now - then when things turn around in a couple of years - we wil be a trendy again.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Why would anyone rank a team that has lost 100 games in four of the last five seasons any higher?

Maybe a few spots higher with some of the acquisitions.

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM

They have Baltimore in the division. We don't. The Royals play in the toughest division in baseball, so even a last-place finish doesn't necessarily mean we'll be terrible.

Frazod
02-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I love the way this clown ranks the Cardinals behind 12 teams that AREN'T THE CURRENT DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Poor little metrosexual "Dayn" must have cried his big-city east coast eyes out last October.

Brock
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
They can say what they want, it appears to me that the team is once again heading in the right direction.

RJ
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
WRONG! Tampa Bay has more talent than Baltimore.

They do have more talent than Baltimore but they won't win as many games.

Reaper16
02-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I love the way this clown ranks the Cardinals behind 12 teams that AREN'T THE CURRENT DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Poor little metrosexual "Dayn" must have cried his big-city east coast eyes out last October.
Well, the Cards are down two SPs that were instrumental in STL's catch-fire-at-the-right-time-coinciding-with-an-uncharacteristic-Tigers-cold-streak plan that managed to beat the odds and magically (tragically?) win the WS.

I don't think the Cards are being slighted here. Maybe its good for them, they seemed to relish that underdog, unrespected role in the playoffs.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Amen. Glass is still the owner. Nothing has changed. Frankly, if this city cared half a fig about baseball, Glass would be our punching bag instead of Peterson. At least Peterson has made his team competitive every year. Glass has gone out of his way to make sure the Royals are awful each and every year -- and turned a profit while he was at it.

By the way, good to see you back Messier.

rageeumr
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM
4 AL Central Teams in the top 7? I don't buy into power rankings, especially before pitchers and catchers have even reported, but DAMN it could be a tough year.

leviw
02-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Amen. Glass is still the owner. Nothing has changed. Frankly, if this city cared half a fig about baseball, Glass would be our punching bag instead of Peterson. At least Peterson has made his team competitive every year. Glass has gone out of his way to make sure the Royals are awful each and every year -- and turned a profit while he was at it.

By the way, good to see you back Messier.

How has he made sure they are awful?

Archie Bunker
02-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Nothing has changed.

I disagree with that. I think Moore is turning this ship around and the fact the Glass was willing to throw some money around this winter shows me that he might be changing his approach as well.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 03:13 PM
How has he made sure they are awful?

I suspect it's by being one of the worst owners in the history of sports.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I disagree with that. I think Moore is turning this ship around and the fact the Glass was willing to throw some money around this winter shows me that he might be changing his approach as well.

Yeah, Moore's done great so far.

What Glass has thrown around this winter doesn't exactly qualify as "money" in MLB.

Archie Bunker
02-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, Moore's done great so far.

What Glass has thrown around this winter doesn't exactly qualify as "money" in MLB.

The Royals will never be able to throw around that type of "money" with or without Glass.

CoMoChief
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM

How? We were damn near the worst team in the league last season.

CoMoChief
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
The Royals will never be able to throw around that type of "money" with or without Glass.

Glass has the money, but chooses not to spend it.

Frazod
02-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, the Cards are down two SPs that were instrumental in STL's catch-fire-at-the-right-time-coinciding-with-an-uncharacteristic-Tigers-cold-streak plan that managed to beat the odds and magically (tragically?) win the WS.

I don't think the Cards are being slighted here. Maybe its good for them, they seemed to relish that underdog, unrespected role in the playoffs.
Granted, I wish we could have kept either Weaver or Suppan (losing Marquis to the Cubs was basically a gift from God), but seriously, either or both of them could easily go back in the toilet this year. I can't imagine not having Dave Duncan around will do either of them any favors.

We've still got arguably the best pitcher in the league in Carpenter. Assuming Isringhausen comes back healthy and can resume his closing duties, Wainwright should be able to step right in and easily fill the 2 or 3 spot. Reyes seems to be coming along nicely for the 3 or 4 spot, and we can probably plug in Looper or some other idiot as the 5 guy.

The biggest question mark is :grr: Mulder :grr: who unfortunately won't be back immediately. If he comes back healthy, I think we're okay. Weathering the storm until he comes back shouldn't be much of a problem in a weak division, and we all saw what the offensive is capable of in October. I look for Molina to pick up where he left off in the playoffs and provide some serious spark.

crazycoffey
02-13-2007, 03:47 PM
We still have the royals????

Archie Bunker
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
We still have the royals????

They have uniforms and everything.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
What happened to the optimism since Moore's arrival? The organization has talent now. Look at where the team was at this time last year. It might be the end of the world here if the Royals lose to Daitsuke on Opening Day :(

Hammock Parties
02-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Rangers way too low.

keg in kc
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
What happened to the optimism since Moore's arrival? The organization has talent now. Look at where the team was at this time last year. It might be the end of the world here if the Royals lose to Daitsuke on Opening Day :(Moore came on the job in June of last year. I don't think anyone should be expecting a single-season turnaround, when he's basically being tasked with correcting more than a decade of poor front office decisions, poor drafting and a horrible minor league system. The fact that we had a couple really good players in Wichita last year, guys that're going to start trickling into KC in '07, doesn't mean we're going to instantly go from worst to first. It also doesn't change the fact that the overall minor league system is nearly bereft of depth or overall talent. And like it or not, the business side fo the game is still what it is... This is going to be a project that takes years. I'd bet this season is going to be tough, another struggle to try and win 75 games (and not lose 100), and then in '08 they flirt with .500. Maybe contend in '09, depending on who pans out from our own system and who we bring in off the FA market.

Reaper16
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
What happened to the optimism since Moore's arrival? The organization has talent now. Look at where the team was at this time last year. It might be the end of the world here if the Royals lose to Daitsuke on Opening Day :(
Don't worry, you'll see plenty of Royals posting from me and others throughout the summer, no matter what the Royals' record is. If only to irritate Cards fans and non-baseball people.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Moore came on the job in June of last year. I don't think anyone should be expecting a single-season turnaround, when he's basically being tasked with correcting more than a decade of poor front office decisions, poor drafting and a horrible minor league system. The fact that we had a couple really good players in Wichita last year, guys that're going to start trickling into KC in '07, doesn't mean we're going to instantly go from worst to first. It also doesn't change the fact that the overall minor league system is nearly bereft of depth or overall talent. And like it or not, the business side fo the game is still what it is... This is going to be a project that takes years. I'd bet this season is going to be tough, another struggle to try and win 75 games (and not lose 100), and then in '08 they flirt with .500. Maybe contend in '09, depending on who pans out from our own system and who we bring in off the FA market.

I'm only asking for about 75 wins, enough to make the team respectable.

Archie Bunker
02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Rangers way too low.

Are you excited about Sosa?

leviw
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think it's as much as who they pick up in the FA market, but who they make sure they don't lose.

I think the players that will make up this team's core in 2-3 years is already in place. Now they have to hold on to what they got, and plug pieces in where need be.

keg in kc
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Plugging in pieces is what I was talking about when I mentioned the FA market. They don't have a strong enough minor league system, particularly arms, to completely build a core. And yes, it will be imperative to retain our top players, which is why I mentioned the financial side of the game being what it is.

Moore's made his first big moves (Meche contract is a big cornerstone of his tenure, success or failure of that will be huge). He's spending money, has his pieces in place in the front office and minor league system. 4 years from now, we'll be able to judge those moves. That's the big difference between MLB and the NFL, the time it takes to elicit change. Football team's that feasibly be turned around in 1-2 years. Baseball teams just take longer, particularly when you're not gifted with 150 million dollar payrolls.

CoMoChief
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I just dont think there's anyway the Royals win more than 75 games this season. All of the other teams in our division are at least decent. Tigers and White Sox were in the last 2 World Series. Twins are usually in the playoffs, and Cleveland is pretty decent. This is going to be a tough year unless we have one of those lightning in a bottle starts like we had in 2003.

kcxiv
02-13-2007, 05:03 PM
wuwu, Dodgers at 11

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't think it's as much as who they pick up in the FA market, but who they make sure they don't lose.

I think the players that will make up this team's core in 2-3 years is already in place. Now they have to hold on to what they got, and plug pieces in where need be.

Do you honestly believe that there is any player we could keep if a big market wanted him? I don't. Any talent we develop or stumble onto will leave, same as always. Moore doesn't change that.

PinkFloyd
02-13-2007, 05:22 PM
PRINT'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leviw
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Do you honestly believe that there is any player we could keep if a big market wanted him? I don't. Any talent we develop or stumble onto will leave, same as always. Moore doesn't change that.

So what you are saying and have been saying throughout this entire thread is that the Royals have absoltuley no chance of ever contending in Major League Baseball again. Am I wrong?

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM

You've taken a Raiduhs on this thread

keg in kc
02-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Do you honestly believe that there is any player we could keep if a big market wanted him? I don't. Any talent we develop or stumble onto will leave, same as always. Moore doesn't change that.Definitely. The questions are whether we'll be competitive (most people want to play for a winner, regardless of where it is) and how much we'll be willing to pay, or even overpay. If we offer the most money on one hand, and a legitimate chance to compete on the other, players certainly will stay.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
So what you are saying and have been saying throughout this entire thread is that the Royals have absoltuley no chance of ever contending in Major League Baseball again. Am I wrong?

Consistently contending? No, the Royals have no chance as things are, and, frankly, I don't see things changing. Further, I don't see why it should be incumbent upon MLB to make the game easier for us to compete. If Glass doesn't want to spend the money to make the Royals a legitimate franchise, then he needs to sell it to someone who does.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
You've taken a Raiduhs on this thread

If the thread about how we were chosen 28th in power rankings was meant to be good news, that's all that needs be said about this team.

StcChief
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM

yeah.... but Tony needs to just put this in the locker room...

we will see. We tend to be very competitive year-in year-out.....

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
If the thread about how we were chosen 28th in power rankings was meant to be good news, that's all that needs be said about this team.

This thread was meant to get people talking about the Royals.

Thanks for being a cynical smart ass.

Reaper16
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM

I'm in the same town as he is. I could go beat him over the spine with optimism if you want.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm in the same town as he is. I could go beat him over the spine with optimism if you want.

The optimism would bounce off him.

SPchief
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Do you even root for the team?

CoMoChief
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Any news on us possibly trading Mike Sweeney yet?

Messier
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM

I think you wanted people to get angry that the Royals were ranked so low. But some people, myself included, feel the Royals are right were they deserve to be. I don't give an historically bad team any breaks. For me to be optimistic with a team that sets unprecedented losing records they better show me before I start to hope.

Messier
02-13-2007, 05:59 PM

Does anyone on the board root for the Chiefs? Because mostly all I read is what a jokes Peterson and Edwards are. I guess those people hate the Chiefs.

CoMoChief
02-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Does anyone on the board root for the Chiefs? Because mostly all I read is what a jokes Peterson and Edwards are. I guess those people hate the Chiefs.

Nope, no one here roots for the Chiefs. Who would ever think of such a thing?

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Until the Royals prove they've gotten better on the field no one nationallly is gonna give them any respect. Lets just hope they have to eat their words.

leviw
02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Consistently contending? No, the Royals have no chance as things are, and, frankly, I don't see things changing. Further, I don't see why it should be incumbent upon MLB to make the game easier for us to compete. If Glass doesn't want to spend the money to make the Royals a legitimate franchise, then he needs to sell it to someone who does.

You keep saying "us" and "we" like you play for the Royals.

Signings like Gil Meche are proof that Glass is willing to spend. Did he overpay? Probably. But that's what the market called for. Moore locked onto a starter that he wanted in the rotation, and Glass handed over the money it took to bring him in.

I'm not saying one signing will put them as a legitimate franchise, but they went out and beat legitimate franchises for a pitcher by spending the necessary money to bring him in.

Coach
02-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Signings like Gil Meche are proof that Glass is willing to spend. Did he overpay? Probably. But that's what the market called for. Moore locked onto a starter that he wanted in the rotation, and Glass handed over the money it took to bring him in.

I'm not saying one signing will put them as a legitimate franchise, but they went out and beat legitimate franchises for a pitcher by spending the necessary money to bring him in.

I think Moore knows there is little chance Meche becomes an Cy Young. I think Moore wanted an in-his-prime MLB caliber starter. KC had exactly zero on the roster when Moore arrived. The Royals had zero prospects close to KC.

KC didnt have the bargaining chips to acquire starting pitching. Ready to go, MLB caliber starting pitching. Moore needed 5. He could get a Bannister. He could get a Perez. But unless he was willing to run out Duckworth, Keppel, Bautista, Hernandez, Joe Mays-types 3 times a week, he had to get a FA.

Lets look at the choices: Zito? be real. Miguel Batista? too old and pedistrian. Ted Lilly? Ok, nothing special. Gil Meche? he is the right age, 28, should get 5 effective years out of him. He has the right "stuff". Scouts have always loved him.

It's just the matter of Meche delivering the goods.

VonneMarie
02-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Why?

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 09:07 PM

One signing is not proof that Glass is willing to spend. Actually spending the money to put together a team that is able to compete -- that will be proof that Glass cares about making this team legitimate.

If one of the big market teams wanted Meche badly enough, they would have paid him more than we could have afforded (and, by the way, it is very common for sports fans to use pronouns like "us" and "we" when referring to their team)(do you always refer to your teams as "they"?).

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 09:12 PM

If criticism of a team means you can't root for a team, than we should probably shut the Planet down.

I was born and raised in KC, and feel obligated to try to continue following the Royals.

Honestly, though, I'm almost to the point where I start hoping the league folds them or they leave town. Bring in the NBA or NHL and give us a different team to follow. I don't know, maybe baseball's had its day. I mean, it's not a very exciting sport to watch. It's fun to follow and track statistics ... it's fun to take the kids to a game, but then again it's fun to take the kids to the playground. Cheaper, too.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I thought the Royals might be one to three spots higher. No big deal. Moore has added some bullpen help that should make the team better. The pitching in general looks noticeably better than previous years. The Royals have gone from having nobody who could get people out to having some guys who can get people out. It isn't much, but it's better than last year, and we saw improvement at times last year.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
If criticism of a team means you can't root for a team, than we should probably shut the Planet down.

I was born and raised in KC, and feel obligated to try to continue following the Royals.

Honestly, though, I'm almost to the point where I start hoping the league folds them or they leave town. Bring in the NBA or NHL and give us a different team to follow. I don't know, maybe baseball's had its day. I mean, it's not a very exciting sport to watch. It's fun to follow and track statistics ... it's fun to take the kids to a game, but then again it's fun to take the kids to the playground. Cheaper, too.

You contradicted yourself. A fan wouldn't want his team to fold or leave town.

Buck
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Oh my god that Power Ranking list is so wack. Tribe #2, D'Backs #9, the 7 of the first 8 teams are A.L. Teams, wtf is that a power ranking for? It cant be who is the best team.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 09:25 PM
You contradicted yourself. A fan wouldn't want his team to fold or leave town.

Right. I guess I'm saying I'm almost ready to stop being a fan of the Royals. Unless things radically change, the Royals will never consistently contend. I'm a bigger fan of Kansas City as a place, and I can see it being in the city's best interest to lose this franchise in exchange for another.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh my god that Power Ranking list is so wack. Tribe #2, D'Backs #9, the 7 of the first 8 teams are A.L. Teams, wtf is that a power ranking for? It cant be who is the best team.

You're right. The Tigers improved in the Sheffield deal, but this guy has them #4. The Indians are definitely too high.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Right. I guess I'm saying I'm almost ready to stop being a fan of the Royals. Unless things radically change, the Royals will never consistently contend. I'm a bigger fan of Kansas City as a place, and I can see it being in the city's best interest to lose this franchise in exchange for another.

You're not almost ready. I think you have made a decision.

Fish
02-13-2007, 09:30 PM

Lose this franchise in exchange for another?? WTF?

Bigger fan of Kansas City as a place?

Wow...

leviw
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM

Wow. Well you've proven you're a classic bandwagon fan.

But back to your Meche argument. Glass can't sign a full team to give the Royals a chance to compete in one year. It's impossible. As it's already been mentioned on this thread numerous times, this transisition is going to take time.

He's proven he would spend. He got Sweeney resigned. He brought in Gonzalez, Santiago and such in 2004, trying to fill the holes on a team that contended in 2003. They obviously weren't the right guys, but was that his fault? No.

He's got to trust his GM, but first his GM must convince him he has the knowledge to put players in place. He gave Baird his chance at doing that, and Baird failed miserably. Now it's Dayton's turn.

Gotta take one step at a time.

Sam Hall
02-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I think we will see Glass spent more of his Wal-Mart money almost every year.

Dr. Van Halen
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Wow. Well you've proven you're a classic bandwagon fan.

But back to your Meche argument. Glass can't sign a full team to give the Royals a chance to compete in one year. It's impossible. As it's already been mentioned on this thread numerous times, this transisition is going to take time.

He's proven he would spend. He got Sweeney resigned. He brought in Gonzalez, Santiago and such in 2004, trying to fill the holes on a team that contended in 2003. They obviously weren't the right guys, but was that his fault? No.

He's got to trust his GM, but first his GM must convince him he has the knowledge to put players in place. He gave Baird his chance at doing that, and Baird failed miserably. Now it's Dayton's turn.

Gotta take one step at a time.

No, as I've gotten older I've come to see baseball as an inferior sport. There's nothing bandwagon about it. The Royals ineptitude has only made me dislike the sport more. I've said that I've tried to keep following the team, but now I don't think I can.

Impossible to turn a team around in one year? Tell the Marlins and Wayne H. that you can't do it.

Glass has never proven that he is willing to spend Yankee money. And only Yankee money will win a championship. And, no, I don't mean only the Yankees will win. I mean Glass has always made it clear he isn't willing to spend the money to keep the A-level players around. Let's be honest, Meche isn't exactly an A-level player.

I'll step out of the discussion. In the future, if you want to talk baseball and Royals without dissent, go find a Royals forum to do it in.

SPchief
02-13-2007, 10:18 PM
No, as I've gotten older I've come to see baseball as an inferior sport. There's nothing bandwagon about it. The Royals ineptitude has only made me dislike the sport more. I've said that I've tried to keep following the team, but now I don't think I can.

Impossible to turn a team around in one year? Tell the Marlins and Wayne H. that you can't do it.

Glass has never proven that he is willing to spend Yankee money. And only Yankee money will win a championship. And, no, I don't mean only the Yankees will win. I mean Glass has always made it clear he isn't willing to spend the money to keep the A-level players around. Let's be honest, Meche isn't exactly an A-level player.

I'll step out of the discussion. In the future, if you want to talk baseball and Royals without dissent, go find a Royals forum to do it in.

Then stop watching.
Do you really expect Glass to go lose 150 million to have the same payroll as the Yankees.
Meche was regarded as one of the top pitching free agents available.

leviw
02-13-2007, 10:29 PM

Catching lighting in a bottle after selling your soul in an inferior league (e.g., the Marlins) isn't exactly turning a team around.

I don't mind dissent. I think it's great to argue. Don't back out because multiple people disagree. You think the Royals are through as an organization; many of us think the Royals are on the right track and will contend again one day in the future.

Honestly, I hope they do the latter, and you become re-interested in baseball and can step back into this same forum and admit your opinion weres wrong.

Halfcan
02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
28 seems pretty high.

BWillie
02-14-2007, 12:00 AM
All of these pessimists will be fans in a few years. There is no other way to build a small market baseball team any other way. I'll be telling you I told you so in 2009.

leviw
02-14-2007, 12:22 AM
All of these pessimists will be fans in a few years. There is no other way to build a small market baseball team any other way. I'll be telling you I told you so in 2009.

I've been saying 2008 since August, but you're probably more realistic.

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah a few of us Royal fans have been saying 08 to 09 time frame since Dayton took over. Royals are going to be an exciting team this year, they will be great some nights, horrible others, but for the most part should have some good games as they get better. Intersting to see if Moore's new pitching staff comes together and Gordon's development.

Sure-Oz
02-14-2007, 02:15 AM
This will be a fun team to watch, look out in '08!