PDA

View Full Version : San Diego's decision to fire Marty

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I understand why SD initially kept Marty after the loss. Marty is a master motivator, and with the brain trust of Cameron and Phillips managing the schemes, San Diego appeared to have the best of best worlds. Good schemes and a good motivator.

And I understand firing Marty when the brains got bidded away. SD doesn't want Marty having any input on schemes, and that would be hard with a less-established coaching staff, and no go-to-guy like Wade Phillips for AJ Smith. What I don't understand is SD's failure to predict this exact scenario -- losing Cameron and Phillips.

San Diego knew exactly what they had in Marty: a master motivator. Too bad Carl doesn't understand that is all Herm Edwards could ever be, and didn't tie his hands on offense like SD with Marty. We let him take a wrecking ball to our offense when he has no clue how to build a successful offense. AJ Smith has a clue; Carl doesn't.

noa
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
AJ Smith has a clue

I'll wait and see who they hire as Marty's replacement before respecting this move. Sure, maybe they had to get rid of Marty, but it won't be a helpful move unless they can get someone good as their new HC. For example, if they hire Norv Turner, I think they will have taken a huge step backwards.

Brock
02-13-2007, 02:16 PM
AJ Smith didn't fire Marty, he wanted to for years and wasn't allowed to. Secondly, I'll give him credit for being a genius only if he avoids hiring Ted Cottrell.

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I'll wait and see who they hire as Marty's replacement before respecting this move. Sure, maybe they had to get rid of Marty, but it won't be a helpful move unless they can get someone good as their new HC. For example, if they hire Norv Turner, I think they will have taken a huge step backwards.

I said AJ Smith had a clue, not that he is a genius. He understood what he had in Marty. I guess in some respects he is clueless: losing the assistant coaches shouldn't have been a surprise unless there was some agreement between Smith and Cameron or Phillips that they'd take over soon, and they got tired of waiting and reneged.

Chiefnj
02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Did AJ have a clue when he chose Rivers over Breese?

Brock
02-13-2007, 02:21 PM

It was the only move to make, IMO, considering how Marty stupidly got Brees seriously injured in a meaningless game.

Amnorix
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
In all honesty, when Cameron said "I'm leaving to go be HC", why didn't they just decide then and there to axe Marty, keep Cameron, and give Wade Phillips double the salary?

Now, they've lost basically their entire coaching staff, and have no one who can just step up to the HC spot. That means bringing in an outsider.

It's just a colossal screw up.

Not that I mind. :fire:

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 02:27 PM

Another point I agree with. Rivers' upside is no higher than the level Brees is currently playing at. AJ Smith has made some blunders along with the great drafting.

I give him or the owner or whoever credit for realizing that Marty has a lot of value when he is Dungified. Give Marty a very strong offensive coordinator, and a directive to not interfere, and Marty is one of the top coaches in the league. If he doesn't, he fall back on his not to lose ways...

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
In all honesty, when Cameron said "I'm leaving to go be HC", why didn't they just decide then and there to axe Marty, keep Cameron, and give Wade Phillips double the salary?

Now, they've lost basically their entire coaching staff, and have no one who can just step up to the HC spot. That means bringing in an outsider.

Yeah, the contigency plans. Do they have any? Maybe they do, I dunno.

Archie Bunker
02-13-2007, 02:32 PM
This couldn't have been handled worse. Top 2 in house candidates leave then you fire your HC. AJ Smith sure looks like he has a clue.

Lzen
02-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Yep, that's the way I'm looking at this. As a Chiefs fan, this is good news. :)

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
This couldn't have been handled worse. Top 2 in house candidates leave then you fire your HC. AJ Smith sure looks like he has a clue.

I'd swap Carl for AJ in a heartbeat, and laugh.

svuba
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
San Diego knew exactly what they had in Marty: a master motivator. Too bad Carl doesn't understand that is all Herm Edwards could ever be, and didn't tie his hands on offense like SD with Marty. We let him take a wrecking ball to our offense when he has no clue how to build a successful offense. AJ Smith has a clue; Carl doesn't.

All this Tieing of Hands that you are referring to sure wasn't evident when they choked away the best regular season record by loosing to a Pats team that had about 1/2 the talent that the chargers had on the field.

That Playoff loss was classic Marty IMO. Yet another example of playing not to loose. The only coach worse at putting points on the board than Marty is Herm.

I don't think you can claim AJ Smith or anyone else in the Organization had a clue after that embarrassing failure.

Mecca
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
So what happens when they hire Rex Ryan and their defense is even better?

FAX
02-13-2007, 05:51 PM
The memory gnomes have done it again.

Was Marty fired from the Chiefs, or did he resign? It seems as though I remember him resigning, but that could be gnome residue from one of their stupid curlytoed, green shoes.

FAX

boogblaster
02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Marty left before them mad husbands plotted his demise...

milkman
02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
AJ Smith didn't fire Marty.
Dean Spanos did.

He (Spanos) decided that the rift between Marty and Smith was no longer tolerable when it came to a head after Smith balked at Marty's attempt to bring in Little Kurty to replace Wade Phillips as DC.

If the decision had been left to Smith, Marty would have been canned 2 years ago.

FringeNC
02-13-2007, 08:28 PM
AJ Smith didn't fire Marty.
Dean Spanos did.

He (Spanos) decided that the rift between Marty and Smith was no longer tolerable when it came to a head after Smith balked at Marty's attempt to bring in Little Kurty to replace Wade Phillips as DC.

If the decision had been left to Smith, Marty would have been canned 2 years ago.

Yeah, what I heard on the radio today is that Smith was set to fire Marty after the playoff loss to New England, and Spanos wouldn't let him. It may be that Smith is blameless.

milkman
02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, what I heard on the radio today is that Smith was set to fire Marty after the playoff loss to New England, and Spanos wouldn't let him. It may be that Smith is blameless.

The idiot in that whole mess there is Spanos.

He either needed to allow Smith to can Marty, or simply can Smith and replace him with a GM that could work with Marty.

Spanos allowed that situation to get out of hand, and put that organization in a position that may well undermine their chance to succeed for a couple of years.

shaneo69
02-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Seems to me like they purposely waited until all the other Head Coaching jobs in the league were filled before letting Marty go, so that he couldn't get another job this year (Oakland) and come back to haunt them.

milkman
02-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Seems to me like they purposely waited until all the other Head Coaching jobs in the league were filled before letting Marty go, so that he couldn't get another job this year (Oakland) and come back to haunt them.

LMAO

You think Marty would work for Al Davis?

shaneo69
02-13-2007, 08:57 PM
LMAO

You think Marty would work for Al Davis?

Why not? Marty voluntarily agreed to coach Dan Snyder's team, Weird Al's no worse than Danny boy.

milkman
02-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Why not? Marty voluntarily agreed to coach Dan Snyder's team, Weird Al's no worse than Danny boy.

Dan Snyder isn't involved in the everyday decisions on the field, and he doesn't try to dictate the coaching philosophy.

Snyder wants a coach.

Al Davis wants a puppet.