PDA

View Full Version : How Could You?

Lzen
02-13-2007, 02:23 PM
How Could You?
By Jim Willis 2001

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I "was bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried
to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would have defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their
worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness.

You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash
with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream ... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room.
A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her.

The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay
down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dog speak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her.
It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End....

A note from the author...

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly owned pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious.

Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for ruining my day.

Brock
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Jeezus. Thanks a lot.

stevieray
02-13-2007, 02:28 PM
damn..

ChiefFripp
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Pet:How could you?
Man: Just ask my ex-wife. When she was no longer young or playful, I got rid of her ass as well.

Dartgod
02-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Hog Farmer will be along to comment soon.

Gonzo
02-13-2007, 02:36 PM
This thread needs some anti-freeze.

Lzen
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Hog Farmer will be along to comment soon.

Eh, I just tend to ignore his comments. BTW, here is the latest pic of my boxer pups. It's amazing how Arrow outweighs Sofie by 10 lbs yet they are from the same litter.

ChiefFripp
02-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Cute pups.

chagrin
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Awesome that you are trying to bring attention to the plight, Lzen, allow me to add this one:

Elliot: The Life of a Feral Cat.

I am Elliot
A child born to Momma one sunny June morning in a barn
I am that cute little Tuxedo kitten you saw at the shelter behind bars
I am the one you could not resist, the one with a single tear shaped patch of white under the right eye

I am Elliot
Child of a farmer's daughter
The one he without remorse gunned down 5 weeks after she brought us into this world
The one who fed us then killed my sister Sasha and brothers Troy and Sir
I am the one that escaped quietly as I heard the cries of my siblings echoing from the garage that Sunday morning

I am Elliot
The motherless child the neighbor took to the shelter.
The one they found distraught and broken under the porch
I am the one you promised to love forever and care for

I am Elliot
Remember that beautiful Tuxedo kitten you fell so deeply in love with
Love at first sight you promised me a life, security, shelter and food
I am the one you nestled with in front of the fire during the bitter Winter months

I am Elliot
Your star child. Mommy? Do you remember today's date?
I am two years of age today
Can I visit you? Throw me a few bits of decent food

I am Elliot
I roam from field to barn
Chased by coyote and dogs
Kicked in the ribs, grabbed by the scruff and thrown face first on gravel roads
Shot at, pushed, hit, spat at, degraded and yelled at
The old woman tried feeding me poison once

I am Elliot
Lately, I have very little strength to fight for the bits of mice
I have hunted in the canola field behind the old abandoned barn
The younger tomcats, strutting their lush furs for any female
Shoving, pushing, stealing my claim
Once upon a day I was a prize fighter, a lady's man

I am Elliot
Fur dirty, matted
Skin hangs from under my left eye from hitting gravel
My teeth are broken
I was beautiful once; such silky hair and bright emerald green eyes

I am Elliot
My body has weakened
Food means little to me now; what I can keep down
I am feverish; in constant pain; swollen belly
I have nightmares; My sleep restless

I am Elliot
For the first time I slept in peace
I felt this cool wet nose push against my cheek
And the warm touch of a tongue
There she was; Sasha.
The most beautiful yellow eyes
Long beige flowing hair and still she remained such a sweet tiny girl
She looked deep into my eyes with quiet understanding
And spoke to me as only cats communicate with one another
There, behind her, sat Momma
Many I have had the pleasure of meeting
But this Calico angel; this farmer's daughter; crying....
And at her feet, Troy and Sir sleeping peacefully
Twin orange tabbies
How I remember the four of us chasing each other while Momma watched over us
"Elliot" such sweet music. How I missed that voice
"Momma; why did that man do this?"
"Elliot. It's of no importance now. You are tired my son. You are feverish, your cough is much worst and the light in those emerald greens I have loved forever has dimmed."
"I am sorry Momma. For running away that day; for losing the fight; for...."
"Hush Elliot. All is well. Sasha?" "Momma?" "Come join your brothers"
Then, with such grace Momma came to me
How soft and warm her coat felt close to me
"Elliot"
"Yes Momma"
"Close your eyes baby; it's time"

I am Elliot
I leave to you my last breath
I give to you one last look
Look deep; the last of Momma's legacy dims slowly from this existence
I am so tired. I don't see very well right now
I am trying to hold on dearly
Perhaps by chance someone will find me
Give me that second chance my family never had

I am Elliot
Please, remember this name
Please, offer my resting body a proper burial
Do not leave me lying here amidst the insects and dirt

I am Elliot
More will come like myself
Broken, orphaned, abandoned
There are many of us
Next time you meet one of us
One who is ravaged by hunger, illness, despair
Remember these emerald green eyes that once pierced the night and drew rainbows in the sky
Next time one of us comes to you for love and shelter
Let them whisper my name to you as you sleep

I am Elliot
It is getting so dark
My paws twitch with uncontrollable fits
I am tired
I hurt
It is so dark

From "John" (All content (c)Jean Boileau - Loving the Feral Soul Inc.):

John has over a decade of caring for feral cats. He is working on a book called Loving the Feral Soul which is a very personal look at his life as a caregiver and the lives of feral cats. It's by no means a technical book but a personal journey. His plans for the proceeds are for more traps, more public outreach, a better facility to care for them. This is just a sample of what will be in the book. He is just one of thousands of caring people who care for feral cats. The huge numbers of feral cats is aggravated by people not spaying and neutering their cats Many of the resulting kittens will be abandoned before they are altered and the problem just gets worse.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2007, 02:55 PM
"I grab a dog...and I CHOKE him! I kick the shit out of him!"

"That's my pleaaaaaaaaaaasure!"

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Eh, I just tend to ignore his comments. BTW, here is the latest pic of my boxer pups. It's amazing how Arrow outweighs Sofie by 10 lbs yet they are from the same litter.

I actually have 5-dogs and they're all small and white n fluffy.One Shipoo, One Shitszu, One Lhasa Apso, One Maltese, and One poodle.

I truly love them, they are so cute. I don't like to tell a room full of men this though. So if you wouldn't mind lets keep this a secret. Besides my wife is the guilty one.

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 02:58 PM

Fugger! More humans are deserving of that.

My pleasure is chocking your mom while smacking her ass-cheeks with a rolling pin... :p

Nzoner
02-13-2007, 03:26 PM

I've got a quote too

"You fock with my dogs,you fock with me!"

angel
02-13-2007, 03:34 PM
you know what else breaks my heart?
That new commercial for pedigree with all the cute dogs in the shelters.

http://www.pedigree.com/dogadoption/commercial.asp

Simply Red
02-13-2007, 03:42 PM
If I ever won the Big Lotto and that's a big if, I'd rescue dogs and find them homes.

Because well, I have a big heart and besides I'd feel obligated to give back to the community because I'd be so effing loaded I would feel guilty to just endulge.

ChiefaRoo
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Why is it that some people have more of an affinity towards animals than they do with people? I'd like to ask a shrink about why some people feel that way.

crazycoffey
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Why is it that some people have more of an affinity towards animals than they do with people? I'd like to ask a shrink about why some people feel that way.

I know, I don't get it. I mean I love animals, have had dogs before and now my wife and I got a cat (I know), and it's sad it is that there are lots of animals being treated cruely.
I just hope that if some of these animal rights group members had a choice the would still choose to save a human before an animal. Sadly, most times I think I would be wrong......

siberian khatru
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM

This may help answer the question:

http://www.slate.com/id/2158654?nav=ais

Why People Love Dogs
It's more complicated than you think.
By Jon Katz
Updated Monday, Feb. 12, 2007, at 7:17 AM ET

My friend and fellow dog lover Edie, an occupational therapist in Massachusetts, has been looking for a mate for nearly 10 years. She finally thought she'd found one in Jeff, a nice guy, generous and funny, who teaches high school. They dated for several months, and just as there was talk about a future, it occurred to Edie that Jeff hadn't really bonded with her yellow Lab, Sophie. In fact, as she thought more about it, she wasn't sure Jeff was a dog guy at all.

She confronted him about this at dinner one night, and he confessed, in some anguish, that he didn't love Sophie, didn't love dogs in general, never had.

They broke up the next week. More accurately, she dumped him. "What can I say?" Edie told me, somewhat defensively. "Sophie has been there for me, day in and day out, for years. I can't say the same of men. She's my girl, my baby. Sooner or later, it would have ended."

Having just spent two months on a book tour talking to dog lovers across the country, I can testify that this story isn't unusual. The lesson Edie gleaned, she says, was that she should have asked about Sophie first, not last.

In America, we love our dogs. A lot. So much that we rarely wonder why anymore.

This, perhaps, is why God created academics.

John Archer, a psychologist at the University of Central Lancashire, has been puzzling for some time over why people love their pets. In evolutionary terms, love for dogs and other pets "poses a problem," he writes. Being attached to animals is not, strictly speaking, necessary for human health and welfare. True, studies show that people with pets live a bit longer and have better blood pressure than benighted nonowners, but in the literal sense, we don't really need all those dogs and cats to survive.

Archer's alternative Darwinian theory: Pets manipulate the same instincts and responses that have evolved to facilitate human relationships, "primarily (but not exclusively) those between parent and child."

No wonder Edie ditched Jeff. She was about to marry the evil stepfather, somebody who wasn't crazy about her true child.

Or, to look at it from the opposite direction, Archer suggests, "consider the possibility that pets are, in evolutionary terms, manipulating human responses, that they are the equivalent of social parasites." Social parasites inject themselves into the social systems of other species and thrive there. Dogs are masters at that. They show a range of emotions—love, anxiety, curiosity—and thus trick us into thinking they possess the full range of human feelings.

They dance with joy when we come home, put their heads on our knees and stare longingly into our eyes. Ah, we think, at last, the love and loyalty we so richly deserve and so rarely receive. Over thousands of years of living with humans, dogs have become wily and transfixing sidekicks with the particularly appealing characteristic of being unable to speak. We are therefore free to fill in the blanks with what we need to hear. (What the dog may really be telling us, much of the time, is, "Feed me.")

As Archer dryly puts it, "Continuing features of the interaction with the pet prove satisfying for the owner."

It's a good deal for the pets, too, since we respond by spending lavishly on organic treats and high-quality health care.

Psychologist Brian Hare of Harvard has also studied the human-animal bond and reports that dogs are astonishingly skilled at reading humans' patterns of social behavior, especially behaviors related to food and care. They figure out our moods and what makes us happy, what moves us. Then they act accordingly, and we tell ourselves that they're crazy about us.

"It appears that dogs have evolved specialized skills for reading human social and communicative behavior," Hare concludes, which is why dogs live so much better than moles.

These are interesting theories. Raccoons and squirrels don't show recognizable human emotions, nor do they trigger our nurturing ("She's my baby") impulses. So, they don't (usually) move into our houses, get their photos taken with Santa, or even get names. Thousands of rescue workers aren't standing by to move them lovingly from one home to another.

If the dog's love is just an evolutionary trick, does that diminish it? I don't think so. Dogs have figured out how to insinuate themselves into human society in ways that benefit us both. We get affection and attention. They get the same, plus food, shelter, and protection. To grasp this exchange doesn't trivialize our love, it explains it.

I'm enveloped by dog love, myself. Izzy, a border collie who spent the first four years of his life running along a small square of fencing on a nearby farm, is lying under my desk at the moment, his head resting on my boot.

Rose, my working dog, is curled into a tight ball in the crate to my left. Emma, the newcomer who spent six years inside the same fence as Izzy, prefers the newly re-upholstered antique chair. Plagued with health problems, she likes to be near the wood stove in the winter.

When I stir to make tea, answer the door, or stretch my legs, all three dogs move with me. I see them peering out from behind the kitchen table or pantry door, awaiting instructions, as border collies do. If I return to the computer, they resume their previous positions, with stealth and agility. If I analyzed it coldly, I would admit that they're probably alert to see if an outdoor romp is in the offing, or some sheepherding, or some beef jerky. But I'd rather think they can't bear to let me out of their sight.

Jon Katz is the author of A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life. He can be e-mailed at jdkat3@aol.com.

Nzoner
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm no shrink but I've had dogs my entire life and they are loyal to no end,they've never lied to me,tried to fock me over,borrowed money and not repaid it,etc. they're called man's best friend for a reason.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate people but I've met more than a few in my days that would rather have me spending time with my dogs.

Rooster
02-13-2007, 04:24 PM
This may help answer the question:

http://www.slate.com/id/2158654?nav=ais

Why People Love Dogs
It's more complicated than you think.
By Jon Katz

That was an interesting article. Thanks

Skyy God
02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
you know what else breaks my heart?
That new commercial for pedigree with all the cute dogs in the shelters.

My g/f says the same thing. I think I saw it a few times while watching Puppy Bowl 3. Sad.

What didn't break my heart, however, was taking my worthless cat to the pound earlier this year. After taking in his disagreeable homeless ass, he was a royal pain. The final straw was when he pissed on my parent's picture right in front of me.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Because there are so many people who are POS, that's why. Dogs are awesome. I would never be with anyone that wasn't a dog person, period.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
One more thing. In a situation like this there is absolutely no excuse for not finding your dog a new home. It takes almost no effort. I've found homes for over 20 lost and abandoned animals. I can't imagine having a great dog and just bringing him to the pound to die. It would take just as much effort to post on craigslist or the newspaper or something. Probably less. Those that just leave their dogs when they move to starve to death should just be put down.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Yea, well if you did that in front of me I'd make sure that every day you looked in the mirror you would remember what a gutless cur you are.

HonestChieffan
02-13-2007, 05:52 PM
In the end what was the alternative?

Clearly the dog was not as important to that owner as some dogs are to their owners. That doesnt make them bad people. They just have different values.

Not everyone wants to tak a grown dog off someonelses hands.

I live in the country and I would say on a monthly basis a neighbor within one mile from me in any direction has to take care of a dumped dog with a rifle shot. People abandon dogs and cats all the time when they can drive a 45 min drive into the country. I know of two dumped pits that were shot by a farmer neighbor in the last 60 days. My dog stays home and does not roam. Roaming dogs in a calving pasture in this country are called "targets". Cattle and calves are a mans living.

Is it better for the pound to end an unfortunate situation? Or better to dump one alone in the country where it will have to become a problem to survive? Or do the people move with the animal only to have it put down where they move to?

Its too easy to pen this sort of garbage and elicit this emotional out pouring. In the end, the dog was well treated.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Yea, well if you did that in front of me I'd make sure that every day you looked in the mirror you would remember what a gutless cur you are.
It's a quote off a movie, tard.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
In the end what was the alternative?

Clearly the dog was not as important to that owner as some dogs are to their owners. That doesnt make them bad people. They just have different values.

Not everyone wants to tak a grown dog off someonelses hands.

I live in the country and I would say on a monthly basis a neighbor within one mile from me in any direction has to take care of a dumped dog with a rifle shot. People abandon dogs and cats all the time when they can drive a 45 min drive into the country. I know of two dumped pits that were shot by a farmer neighbor in the last 60 days. My dog stays home and does not roam. Roaming dogs in a calving pasture in this country are called "targets". Cattle and calves are a mans living.

Is it better for the pound to end an unfortunate situation? Or better to dump one alone in the country where it will have to become a problem to survive? Or do the people move with the animal only to have it put down where they move to?

Its too easy to pen this sort of garbage and elicit this emotional out pouring. In the end, the dog was well treated.

OK Mr. Country I've lived way out there before and the only dogs we had issues with were wild ones. Naturally you are dealing with abandoned pits, why doesn't that surprise me? :rolleyes: Any stray dog messing with livestock would be shot. That's what were talking about here. Also living way out in the country many have outside dogs that would not make good pets anyway and need to be put down for various reasons. That being said NONE of what you posted had anything to do with this story at all. Even the most hard core here like MO would most likely tell you if he liked a dog enough to make it a house dog he would at least make some effort to try and find it a new home. A good dog is different than any other animal. It will put it's life on the line for you and love you like no other animal in the world. For that reason alone IMO a good dog has earned the right to be treated a little different than all the rest of the animals. In this case it was even worse. He took his kids dog they loved and didn't take any time to find it a good home. It's not hard at all. I could take any decent dog on a street corner here and put up a sign that says free to a good loving home and have the animal placed within and hour then let the kids see it went to a good place. I guess the kids freaking doesn't mean anything to you either. Frankly dealing with them and their legitimate beef is going to be 10x more difficult than it would have been to just place the dog.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
It's a quote off a movie, tard.

I'm not a movie buff. I guess that makes me a tard in your book. That's cool. :)

Eleazar
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm no shrink but I've had dogs my entire life and they are loyal to no end,they've never lied to me,tried to fock me over,borrowed money and not repaid it,etc. they're called man's best friend for a reason.

Exactly!

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not a movie buff. I guess that makes me a tard in your book. That's cool. :)
Naw, the "quotes" should have tipped you off.

Eleazar
02-14-2007, 11:07 AM
"all day long... my foot up a dawg's azz...."

BigRedChief
02-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Every dog and cat we have brought into our family was from a rescue operation or "the pound" and were spayed or neutered.
A lot of emotion goes into a family pet. And their emotion to you. Like nzoner said. They are there for you no matter what.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
"all day long... my foot up a dawg's azz...."
ROFL

HonestChieffan
02-14-2007, 12:18 PM
OK Mr. Country I've lived way out there before and the only dogs we had issues with were wild ones. Naturally you are dealing with abandoned pits, why doesn't that surprise me? :rolleyes: Any stray dog messing with livestock would be shot. That's what were talking about here. Also living way out in the country many have outside dogs that would not make good pets anyway and need to be put down for various reasons. That being said NONE of what you posted had anything to do with this story at all. Even the most hard core here like MO would most likely tell you if he liked a dog enough to make it a house dog he would at least make some effort to try and find it a new home. A good dog is different than any other animal. It will put it's life on the line for you and love you like no other animal in the world. For that reason alone IMO a good dog has earned the right to be treated a little different than all the rest of the animals. In this case it was even worse. He took his kids dog they loved and didn't take any time to find it a good home. It's not hard at all. I could take any decent dog on a street corner here and put up a sign that says free to a good loving home and have the animal placed within and hour then let the kids see it went to a good place. I guess the kids freaking doesn't mean anything to you either. Frankly dealing with them and their legitimate beef is going to be 10x more difficult than it would have been to just place the dog.

We deal with abandoned dogs all the time...pits are the most recent issue cause the owners who are such great dog lovers wont take them to be neutered under the new laws in KC. So there humanitarians turn the damn things loose and drive off...no doubt heartbroken over their pets fate.

We see beagles...one of the worst as a wild dog, collies...they dont last to long, have seen even a couple pretty Irish setters among every cross bred thing you can imagine.

You make an interesting comment...outside dogs dont make good pets? Man, I love that...somehow an outside dog is not a good pet. I have 2 great dogs that have never and will never be in the house. I suppose they are bad dogs and poor pets?

The real point of that "story" aside from trying to drag out some deep feelings of animal love, really is that People should have more feelings for people. The world would be a better place if people treated people as good as they treat a dog. The kids learned that family and family needs come first over any needs man placed on that dog. Sure they would be upset, we are all upset when something like this needs to be done.

I love these people who complain about cost of freaking health care while they drag another smoke out and drive the damn dog to the vet.

Dogs are great. But a dog at the end of the day is a dog.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I love these people who complain about cost of freaking health care while they drag another smoke out and drive the damn dog to the vet.

Dogs are great. But a dog at the end of the day is a dog.

Health care is a whole different issue. For the record I don't treat dogs like people. I put my English Bully down when she had cancer as an example. I'm obviously not doing that with my family.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
We deal with abandoned dogs all the time...pits are the most recent issue cause the owners who are such great dog lovers wont take them to be neutered under the new laws in KC. So there humanitarians turn the damn things loose and drive off...no doubt heartbroken over their pets fate.

First of all the laws just got passed and secondly I don't think the owners of any specific breed, pits included are immune from being shitty owners Your proving my point that a lot of people are just POS in general, thanks. On that note like I said I lived in the country and people abandoning their dogs way out in the country was never a major issue. MOF this is the first time I have heard of this being a major problem from anyone living out in the country other than an occasional dog which makes me wonder about your honesty once again.

You make an interesting comment...outside dogs dont make good pets? Man, I love that...somehow an outside dog is not a good pet. I have 2 great dogs that have never and will never be in the house. I suppose they are bad dogs and poor pets?

I never said they are bad pets, you're just making shit up now. I said they are often times much harder to find homes for as many don't convert over to a house dog as well. I could understand why you might need to put one of those down when you sell the farm and buy that new condo over on polk street.

The real point of that "story" aside from trying to drag out some deep feelings of animal love, really is that People should have more feelings for people. The world would be a better place if people treated people as good as they treat a dog. The kids learned that family and family needs come first over any needs man placed on that dog. Sure they would be upset, we are all upset when something like this needs to be done.

Here you go down another road that doesn't address anything I said and is a convenient weak ass attempt at a distraction. Where did I say that the needs of the dog came over came those of the family? What I said is it would take only the slightest amount of effort to place the dog in another home. I could do it withing an hour. If you think taking the family dog your kids were raised with and taking it to slaughtered teaches your kids a lesson your right. It teaches them what they should do with you once you become an inconveniece.

As far as people go in spite of what you might say next I'll bet you don't have one single person in your life that's as loyal, brave and willing to put their life on the line for you like as my dog is for me. I'll just leave it at that.

Dartgod
02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by GuntherFan
Wait a minute. HonestChieffan is really Phoney Gonzales? THAT explains a lot. ROFL

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Wait a minute. HonestChieffan is really Phoney Gonzales? THAT explains a lot. ROFL

Especially the Honest part. Talk about deep under cover. He has had so many names now I can't even keep track of them all. What better name for a deceptive liar? ROFL

jidar
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
This is why I make them into steaks before they're old enough to be miserable.
I don't eat them though, I sell them to koreans, I'm not some kind of freak.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
This is why I make them into steaks before they're old enough to be miserable.
I don't eat them though, I sell them to koreans, I'm not some kind of freak.

The Chinese are notorious for that shit out here.

The Rick
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM

ROFL

NewChief
02-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Because animals are "innocent."

seclark
02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Because animals are "innocent."
rep!
sin,
bongo the cheetah

CoMoChief
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I had to put my dog to sleep just a few months ago. Had him since I was in first grade. Welp my day is ruined, thanks man.

ck_IN
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
As I've often said, dogs make better people then most people.

I would never move without taking my dog. She's as much a part of my family as the humans in it.

<i>Why is it that some people have more of an affinity towards animals than they do with people? I'd like to ask a shrink about why some people feel that way.</i>

Because animals don't lie to each other. They don't screw each other over. They don't indulge in petty jeaously. They don't steal, they don't cheat. All they do is love their people and ask for some food, water and a little love in return.

Whenever people say such and such acted like an animal I just shake my head and say 'no, he acted like a human'. Most people don't get what I mean.

Iowanian
02-14-2007, 03:30 PM
In short, it would have been much kinder and saved the dog alot of stress and pain to take it for a final walk in the woods...let it chase a squirrel, frolick in the leaves, fetch some sticks and one surprise "BLAM!"

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
In short, it would have been much kinder and saved the dog alot of stress and pain to take it for a final walk in the woods...let it chase a squirrel, frolick in the leaves, fetch some sticks and one surprise "BLAM!"

You come across all hard but if you had a good house dog your kids loved I highly doubt you would do that.

Nightwish
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
How Could You?
By Jim Willis 2001

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I "was bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried
to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would have defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their
worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness.

You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash
with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream ... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room.
A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her.

The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay
down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dog speak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her.
It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End....

A note from the author...

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly owned pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious.

Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.
Thanks for sharing that letter, Lzen. I copied it to some friends and family members. It's a good read, and I know how the author feels. My pets live here, and they die here. Whenever I move to a new place, I make sure they allow pets, and if they don't, I look elsewhere. We even have a small pet cemetery behind the lake at my parents' place in the Ozarks, and even my pets (both dogs and cats) that have died in other places are buried there. Unless they are painfully sick, none of them will die with a cold hypodermic needle in their skin.

Iowanian
02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
You come across all hard but if you had a good house dog your kids loved I highly doubt you would do that.

I had a lab I spent hours and hours with...training, playing and riding in the truck. I took him to parks, threw sticks into ponds until he'd nearly drown of exhaustion. I took him on walks in the woods, mushroom hunting and just rides in the back of the truck when I was bored. I played with him in some way every day.

the kid came...he's no longer here.

In this case, a highly intelligent, trained and kid friendly yellow lab found a good home on a farm, with lots of running room.

I learned a long time ago that sometimes you just have to do, what you have to do. I've done it before and it doesn't mean I enjoyed it.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I had a lab I spent hours and hours with...training, playing and riding in the truck. I took him to parks, threw sticks into ponds until he'd nearly drown of exhaustion. I took him on walks in the woods, mushroom hunting and just rides in the back of the truck when I was bored. I played with him in some way every day.

the kid came...he's no longer here.

In this case, a highly intelligent, trained and kid friendly yellow lab found a good home on a farm, with lots of running room.

I learned a long time ago that sometimes you just have to do, what you have to do. I've done it before and it doesn't mean I enjoyed it.

Good call, had to be hard to do. With a kid on the way I am getting Taz a treadmill before he is born so he gets worked out hard every day. It's about time I made the investment anyway it's hard to get him out for a good run every day. He loves the treadmill. The one I am looking at is almost silent and comes with a full lifetime warranty.

boogblaster
02-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Im like Zoner you F with my dog you F with Boog.. Ive seen lots of hunters put their dogs down because they didn't hunt right..when it was their fault for not training the dog right or at least not long enough...

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Im like Zoner you F with my dog you F with Boog.. Ive seen lots of hunters put their dogs down because they didn't hunt right..when it was their fault for not training the dog right or at least not long enough...

Way back when I put up a poll on CP that said if you could only save your dog or some stranger who would you pick and most people picked their dog. I still remember how pissed some people were about that starting with Meme.

ChiefFripp
02-14-2007, 05:57 PM
As I've often said, dogs make better people then most people.

"Because animals don't lie to each other."

Because they don't have the capablity

"They don't screw each other over."
Yeah they do, it's usually fun to watch too.

"They don't indulge in petty jeaously."

Ok, you must have never owned more than one pet at one time.

"They don't steal, "
you've never seen animals steal food or toys? That's why dogs would rather bury their possesions than play with them, they know they can't trust eachother.

"They don't cheat"

yeah because they aren't monogamous to begin with.

"All they do is love their people and ask for some food, water and a little love in return."

...and they eat your body if you died and they had nothing else to eat.

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think you have observed animals very closely. What makes animals innocent is that they aren't intelligent enough to have moral standards in the first place or the supposed conscience to guide them. they just do what nature has programmed them to do .

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 06:02 PM
While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think you have observed animals very closely. What makes animals innocent is that they aren't intelligent enough to have moral standards in the first place or the supposed conscience to guide them. they just do what nature has programmed them to do .

Like I said, you show me what person who would consistantly put their life at risk to save yours. Dogs not like other animals, good ones are loyal as hell and absolutely fearless.

ChiefFripp
02-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Like I said, you show me what person who would consistantly put their life at risk to save yours. Dogs not like other animals, good ones are loyal as hell and absolutely fearless.
Hence the phrase "loyal as a dog".

Jenson71
02-14-2007, 06:16 PM

How much did we, people, help out with that programming? I'm not an expert on domestication, but I do know dogs are just wolves that we've changed in ways.

Jenson71
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Way back when I put up a poll on CP that said if you could only save your dog or some stranger who would you pick and most people picked their dog. I still remember how pissed some people were about that starting with Meme.

That doesn't piss me off. Reading the Darwin award winners don't piss me off either. It's just stupid. I don't think anyone would actually do that if the situation arose though.