PDA

View Full Version : Travel in England: take the train

chris
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I bought a 4 day pass for $180.

Been from scotland all the way down to London. And newcastle.

Much, much better than driving or flying.

Their trains are clean, on time, much more room than cattle car jet airliners. I go to a city, get off, play tourist, then hope back on whenever the frequent trains arrive. Amtrack could learn from them.

Worst part: 1 pound ~~$2. Expensive!

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2007, 04:48 AM
The exchange rate is the worst part. How do you do it?

I've found the least expensive for me way is to use the debit card at a atm. Even less expensive than my own damn bank. Everywhere it seems to want to charge an arm and a leg for a few measley quid. Oh... 6yrs ago if I would have just invested in euros and quid...

Have you looked into EasyJet? Another cheap way to travel in Europe.

BigRedChief
02-14-2007, 07:27 AM
I took the train from Paris to London for $20.00 one time. Best deal ever. You get to see all the country side of France and England and get to have a pint while doing it.

Europe travelers should travel by train. It's cheap and easy. The mistake they make when visiting here is trying to travel via Amtrack.ROFL

HonestChieffan
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
What is sad is the Americans have allowed our rail system to go to pot while giving the trucking lobby such power that no effort to ever have a long term view and rebuild an effective rail system will never get started.

Our reliance on inefficient, high energy consuming transport while ignoring investment into an efficient systems is sad. While we continue to allow more and more diesel spewing heavy trucks that get heavier and more destructive, we have greater repair costs and no effort to develop rail for people and for goods.