PDA

View Full Version : Your choice for left tackle?

T-post Tom
02-14-2007, 12:08 AM
It appears that Luke Petitgout and Leonard Davis (potentially) are the two top FA tackles. Anyone watch either of these two play over the last few seasons? (Petitgout missed a bit last season due to a broken leg.) I've heard mixed reviews on both. Any thoughts on how either one would fit in with the Chiefs?

crazycoffey
02-14-2007, 12:14 AM
the big mexican is our only hope...

Halfcan
02-14-2007, 01:31 AM
We will go with the dude with broken leg to get the Carl discount.

DeepSouth
02-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Levi Brown.

kepp
02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
We will go with the dude with broken leg to get the Carl discount.
"Attention K-mart shoppers..."

Kylo Ren
02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Levi Brown. Who?

Chiefnj
02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I'd take Ryan Harris in the 2nd round and try to develop a player. I'd also try to grab McIntosh the Miami RT in free agency.

Davis hasn't been very good and the Cards aren't a team deep on OL (look at Edge's run stats plummet). If they aren't keeping him, there is a reason.

Same thing with Petigout. LT's are as hard to come by as QB's. Teams don't let them go easily. I'd imagine they don't think he will come back from the leg injury. I guess, if they could get him dirt cheap it would be worth the risk in his case, but I wouldn't really be counting on the guy. Kind of like Turley last year.

eazyb81
02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Davis would be awful at left tackle.

Fish
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Pencil Power!!

Iowanian
02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
My choice and what are likely and reasonable options are probably not the same thing.

In a perfect world, I'd like Joe Thomas, but thats not an option.

Its likely to me, given Carl's history to make a run at Pettigote(FA starter, coming off injury would be cheaper), a 2-3rd teir LT like Mike Gandy from Buffalo is my guess.

In the Draft, I think they'll try to grab Joe Staley or Harris in the 2nd-3rd.....Brown if he falls or possibly Ugoh.

boogblaster
02-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Pettigoat will probably be our new whipping-child..

StcChief
02-14-2007, 09:45 AM
So Svitek isn't ready or never was to be LT?

Messier
02-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I really hope they take a wr in the first, either Meachem or Rice.

Iowanian
02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Svitek and Sampson both suck. Sampson is a top heavy lard who can't stay healthy and Svitek is a project, not a starter.

Archie Bunker
02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Considering what's available in FA and the draft, I'd be pretty happy getting Petitgout.

Easy 6
02-14-2007, 09:49 AM
If we cant get a top guy in the draft, or work out some mind-boggling trade for a top vet (not bloody likely), i would rather just intensely coach up what we have in Pruneda or Svitek.

Spending $$$ on some next to has been isnt going to help jack in the long run.

I'm on record as being against a TOTAL rebuild, but i have no prob with force feeding some youth onto this roster & making these coaches earn their paychecks.

Iowanian
02-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't know why anyone is putting any faith in a late UFA with no experience as anything other than camp or NFLE fodder.

Frankie
02-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Who?
Oh, the South side of Chicago
is the baddest parta town.
And if you go down there
you better just beware
of a man named Levi Brown.

Bad, bad Levi Brown.
Baddest man in the whole damn town.
Badder than the old King Kong.
Meaner than a junkyard dog.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I think Ryan Harris is our best bet.

Pushead2
02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
"The Pencil"

Fish
02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I think Ryan Harris is our best bet.

292lb. Ryan Harris?

I know nothing about him other than that... what do you see in him? If you could please?

Easy 6
02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't know why anyone is putting any faith in a late UFA with no experience as anything other than camp or NFLE fodder.

I completely understand your point & it IS a bit of wishful thinking to hope that, Pruneda in particular, sets the world on fire. But IMO a Black with a years experience as starter & another off-season in the weight room is equal to other 2nd level guys like Gandy etc.

And he's already here & has atleast some chemistry with Waters & knows the playbook.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
i haven't seen anything from Leonard Davis to indicate that he's a quality left tackle.

crazycoffey
02-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh, the South side of Chicago
is the baddest parta town.
And if you go down there
you better just beware
of a man named Levi Brown.

Bad, bad Levi Brown.
Baddest man in the whole damn town.
Badder than the old King Kong.
Meaner than a junkyard dog.

my stepdad used sing this song all the time while I was growing up. I do believe it's bad bad, Leroy Brown.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
292lb. Ryan Harris?

I know nothing about him other than that... what do you see in him? If you could please?

He had solid 2006 season. He struggled in the Senior Bowl practices but excelled in the game. That's probably the knock on him - doesn't show up until game day.

FringeNC
02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Quality left tackles don't grow on trees. Personally, I'd rather take a chance on Svitek if he shows anything rather than go with someone who has limited upside.

Mr. Laz
02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Quality left tackles don't grow on trees. Personally, I'd rather take a chance on Svitek if he shows anything rather than go with someone who has limited upside.

don't both Svitek and Sampson have trouble staying healthy

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
don't both Svitek and Sampson have trouble staying healthy

Svitek was worn out from NFLE. I think alot of people figured that would happen. It's only one season.

Now Sampson has missed 2 seasons in a row essentially. He's the definition of fragile.

Easy 6
02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
After some thought, its not out of the realm of possibilities that a team that picks up a young star LT in the draft would cut their above average vet.

It could happen.

Direckshun
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Will Shields. :D

DeepSouth
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Who?

Levi Brown OT 6'5 328 Penn St.
By: Robert Davis
After redshirting in 2002, Brown took over at left tackle for the Nittany Lions in 2003, and has not let the position go since. He started one game at right tackle in 2004, but that was because he was slowed with a knee injury. He returned the left side the following week. Last season as a junior, Brown was named 1st team All Big 10, and landed on a few All American teams. He became a two time All American as a senior, landing on various AA lists after the season.

Levi Brown looks like an excellent right tackle prospect. He has the strong frame, and plays with very good power in the running game. He can dominate at the point of attack, and move defenders off the line. Brown will also finish off run plays by driving his man into the ground. He also shows the ability to keep the defender in front of him in pass protection. Brown may bring quite a bit of versatility. He’s played left tackle in college, and may be able to play there in the NFL. His best spot looks like RT, and his ability as a run blocker could allow him to play inside at guard as well.

Judging him as the left tackle spot he has played in college, Brown may lack the athleticism and agility to be a top notch left tackle at the next level. He may be able to hold his own, but it is something he will have to prove once drafted. As a right tackle however, he appears to be what everyone looks for at the position.

Brown is one of the top senior lineman available for the draft. He may not project the best as the premium left tackle position, but as a right tackle, he may be the best available. He is a legitimate first round talent, and a solid senior season will only cement that position.

crazycoffey
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Will Shields. :D

what kind of dicksuckery is this?

bringbackmarty
02-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I think you have to consider the whole line.

A starting five of Pettigout, Waters, Wiegmann, steinbach, and Davis or Terry would be my first choice.

We really need a younger more powerful center, I be we draft one high, maybe rnds 2 or 3.

If shields doesn't retire, pick a guard in the draft, and leave steinbach..
of course 3 o.l in Fa aint gonna happen.

bringbackmarty
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Damien Woody may be availiable, the offenses are similar.

The Poz
02-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Davis wants too much $$$, and Levi won't fall to us. Gandy from Buffalo could walk right into the position for a decent price with Svitek and/or Sampson as his back-up. Gandy isn't a pro-bowler at this time but he is experienced in an offence that likes to run - Willis McGahee.

Archie Bunker
02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Damien Woody may be availiable, the offenses are similar.

You said Woody. :Elvis:

Adept Havelock
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
My choice for LT?

Get a Time Machine, and drag John Alt circa 1990 back to present day.

Frankie
02-15-2007, 09:32 AM
My choice for LT?

Get a Time Machine, and drag John Alt circa 1990 back to present day.
If we had a time machine we'd bring back Roaf.

POND_OF_RED
02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I really hope they take a wr in the first, either Meachem or Rice.

If we take Rice with our 1st rd pick i will be very pissed.

Frankie
02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
If we take Rice with our 1st rd pick i will be very pissed.
So will I. My only justified 1st round WR choices are the two Dwaynes. that's if no stud LT or DT are available where we pick.