PDA

View Full Version : OK, what happen to KSU ? Other B 12 BB questions .

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I did not get to watch the game last night , How did KSU stink it up in Lincoln ? Saul, William, what went wrong, I had that one pegged as a win for you guys ?

aTm took it last night, somewhat opened the door for KU again. aTm has some tough games left at Texas and Oklahoma ..... will they lose both of them ?

KU has to travel to West Lawrence, is this the year KSU gets the monkey off their backs ? Go to Norman and play OU. Will KU lose 1, 2 or none the rest of the season ?

How many teams make the Big Dance in the B12 ?

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
We get everyones A+ game now.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
We get everyones A+ game now.

ROFL

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Bad night ? What happened, I was out last night away from home until late, I seen the end of the NC/VT game . :)

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
It's gonna depend on the small conference tournaments.

If the current conference leaders win their tourney, I think the B12 gets 5. If somebody like Xavier should lose, they're going to get an at-large. If alot of that happens, the B12 is only gonna get 4.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Tx Tech helped themselves alot last night. But the B12 South will beat each other up so much it will hurt in the end, kinda like the Mo. Valley is doing right now to each other. The Mo. Valley wasn't as good this year in their non confrence as a whole as last year and the losses within the confrence is killing them.

I think the B12 gets 5, maybe 6 and the Mo.Valley gets 4 this year.

Just like years past, Alot of teams will get left out or will hurt their chances due to the confrence tourneys.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Tx Tech helped themselves alot last night. But the B12 South will beat each other up so much it will hurt in the end, kinda like the Mo. Valley is doing right now to each other. The Mo. Valley wasn't as good this year in their non confrence as a whole as last year and the losses within the confrence is killing them.

I think the B12 gets 5, maybe 6 and the Mo.Valley gets 4 this year.

Just like years past, Alot of teams will get left out or will hurt their chances due to the confrence tourneys.

I don't see the MVC getting any more than 3.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't see the MVC getting any more than 3.

Probally true, 3 are pretty much a lock, So.Il,Creighton and Mo. St.

WSU has fallen off badly and Bradley is still around, can either one recover is the question.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Probally true, 3 are pretty much a lock, So.Il,Creighton and Mo. St.

WSU has fallen off badly and Bradley is still around, can either one recover is the question.

WSU and UNI were the toast of the conference heading into January. My how quickly things change...

WilliamTheIrish
02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Disappointing effort. Unfortunately, this is a trend. KSU has given up 50+% shooting to the opposition in 3 of the last 4 games. And since CU doesn't really count, I throw that game out.

Just had no answer for Maric in the paint. This was a bad loss. It may be the blow that sends KSU to the NIT.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
WSU and UNI were the toast of the conference heading into January. My how quickly things change...

Yep, so many Shocker fans were tooting their horns early in the year, looks like they ran out of air.

If WSU were to recover and win the conf. tourney, or Bradley, I couls see 4 teams then.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Disappointing effort. Unfortunately, this is a trend. KSU has given up 50+% shooting to the opposition in 3 of the last 4 games. And since CU doesn't really count, I throw thaat ame out.

Just had no answer for Maric in the paint. This was a bad loss. It may be the blow that sends KSU to the NIT.

I seen where he had a big game ....... Just like KU, they seem to lose focus .

HemiEd
02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Yep, so many Shocker fans were tooting their horns early in the year, looks like they ran out of air.

If WSU were to recover and win the conf. tourney, or Bradley, I couls see 4 teams then.

tooting? I didn't see much of that, just enjoyment. For a KU fan to even acknowledge the Shockers, means something. I said all along that they were going to miss Paul Miller, and was surprised by their early success without him. They do not have the talent that KU and KSU have, period.

HonestChieffan
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Athis point, its an All KU deal....Tech took Texas out and the Hawks are on a big time roll with the power guys really understanding how good they can be. Like it or not Self has the guys coming into their own in perfect timing.

Nebraska is good on some nights and it just happened on a night that Huggy didnt have all the boys on the same page. Too bad cause Neb is no BB team and never will be.

So sit back and enjoy KUs ride, they will go far and do great. Everybody else is second.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Disappointing effort. Unfortunately, this is a trend. KSU has given up 50+% shooting to the opposition in 3 of the last 4 games. And since CU doesn't really count, I throw that game out.

Do you think maybe some of these guys are just tired? Huggins' style is pretty intense, he expects alot, especially on defense.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I seen where he had a big game ....... Just like KU, they seem to lose focus .

North Carolina lost to Va Tech last night. I think focus is a problem all across the NCAA. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with so many young players seeing significant minutes - aka the NBA effect.

Eleazar
02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Athis point, its an All KU deal....Tech took Texas out and the Hawks are on a big time roll with the power guys really understanding how good they can be. Like it or not Self has the guys coming into their own in perfect timing.

Nebraska is good on some nights and it just happened on a night that Huggy didnt have all the boys on the same page. Too bad cause Neb is no BB team and never will be.

So sit back and enjoy KUs ride, they will go far and do great. Everybody else is second.

ROFL Classic KU humbleness and realism.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
ROFL Classic KU humbleness and realism.

I actually think KU is poised for a big run. It's weird watching the Phog crowd melt down about Bill Self in the midst of it all...

Eleazar
02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I actually think KU is poised for a big run. It's weird watching the Phog crowd melt down about Bill Self in the midst of it all...

5-13. I mean.... er...

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 12:18 PM
5-13. I mean.... er...

Hey, Butler and Bucknell have reasonable basketball tradition. It's not like they lost to Northwestern State or something...

KevB
02-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Do you think maybe some of these guys are just tired? Huggins' style is pretty intense, he expects alot, especially on defense.

I think that's a huge part of it. Hoskins the last two games has looked worn out from the opening tip. Doesn't have the explosiveness around the rim, and his shots are coming up short. KSU shot 8 airballs last night. Cartier had several of those....he's too solid a shooter for that to happen. That screams fatigue to me.

Pitt Gorilla
02-14-2007, 01:15 PM

If WSU were to recover and win the conf. tourney, or Bradley, I couls see 4 teams then.UNI doesn't have a small forward. None. And, nobody on the team can shoot. UNI=Ugh.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
UNI doesn't have a small forward. None. And, nobody on the team can shoot. UNI=Ugh.

They shot well early in the season. I wonder if they have conditioning problems as well.

Pitt Gorilla
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
They shot well early in the season. I wonder if they have conditioning problems as well.No, their conditioning seems fine. They don't have a small forward who can make defenses pay. Every team is throwing a 2-3 zone at UNI (as they should) and that is killing our inside game. A good 3 might hit an outside shot or slash to the basket; neither of our options can do those things. I hope the NIT sees fit to provide us with a spot, but we'll need to demonstrate that we can win a game before that happens.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
No, their conditioning seems fine. They don't have a small forward who can make defenses pay. Every team is throwing a 2-3 zone at UNI (as they should) and that is killing our inside game. A good 3 might hit an outside shot or slash to the basket; neither of our options can do those things. I hope the NIT sees fit to provide us with a spot, but we'll need to demonstrate that we can win a game before that happens.

Very true, I guess I didn't think about that. Makes me wonder if Iowa could have beaten them if Alford wasn't so stubborn about Man defense. They started playing more zone about a week before the Big 10 season started and they started winning games...

Pitt Gorilla
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Very true, I guess I didn't think about that. Makes me wonder if Iowa could have beaten them if Alford wasn't so stubborn about Man defense. They started playing more zone about a week before the Big 10 season started and they started winning games...Yes, you would have beaten us. There's no question in my mind. The CF freshman girls team would probably take us running a 2-3.

DJJasonp
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I think KU will lose at Oklahoma, and A&M loses @Oklahoma State and @Texas.

KU wins the conference outright.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I think KU will lose at Oklahoma, and A&M loses @Oklahoma State and @Texas.

KU wins the conference outright.

I think it's very possible for KU to win out, including the conf tourney...

Bearcat
02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
No offense to KSU people, but it's not like they're all that great, and they aren't (yet) used to the winning they have had. They've played some teams tough in losses, but there's only the one above-average win this season.

The upside for them is that if KU wins their next two games, they will be due for a mental lapse @KSU.

(which would put the next lapse in the Big 12 tourney, and then 6 in a row (one can dream, right?))

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
No offense to KSU people, but it's not like they're all that great, and they aren't (yet) used to the winning they have had. They've played some teams tough in losses, but there's only the one above-average win this season.

The upside for them is that if KU wins their next two games, they will be due for a mental lapse @KSU.

(which would put the next lapse in the Big 12 tourney, and then 6 in a row (one can dream, right?))

I know it pisses alot of KU fans when I interject with "unbiased" opinions, but sometimes it seems so clear when you're on the outside looking in.

Personally, if I were a KSU basketball fan, I'd be pretty excited about the future of the program, even if they've had a few bumps here and there this season.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Huggins is doing great for his first season with the talent leftover from the Wooldridge era.

Bearcat
02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I know it pisses alot of KU fans when I interject with "unbiased" opinions, but sometimes it seems so clear when you're on the outside looking in.

Personally, if I were a KSU basketball fan, I'd be pretty excited about the future of the program, even if they've had a few bumps here and there this season.

Definitely, and maybe I should have expanded "(yet)".... I'm glad we have Huggins and Anderson in the Big 12 North.. and with A&M making strides, the conference now looks decent.

I was just responding to the idea that last night's loss was a shock. It's not, because they have some growing up to do.... it's probably a lot of the same growing pains KU has gone through the last couple of years.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Definitely, and maybe I should have expanded "(yet)".... I'm glad we have Huggins and Anderson in the Big 12 North.. and with A&M making strides, the conference now looks decent.

I was just responding to the idea that last night's loss was a shock. It's not, because they have some growing up to do.... it's probably a lot of the same growing pains KU has gone through the last couple of years.

I think McDermott at ISU is a good coach, he doesn't have much to work with this year as far as talent. Time will tell if he can recruit at a high level year after year...

HonestChieffan
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
KSU will grow as a power under Huggins. Regardless of what some will throw out over his less than stellar actions in the past, he can coach and he can recruit. Anyone in the north that is not watching over their shoulder at KSU is making a mistake.

I do not think Anderson is even close to Huggins' abilities and MU will have some major recruiting issues for a few years till Anderson shows he can do it. He is an upgrade from Snyder but still not gonna run with the big dogs for a while.

KevB
02-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Nobody should be shocked about the outcome. The shock comes from watching how the game unfolded. A very, very strange game. Maric shoots 25 free throws, KSU throws up 8 airballs, guy like Hoskins doesn't do much after being Mr. Consistent....

I couldn't be happier about KSU basketball right now. When Walker went down, everybody assumed that was all she wrote. Hugs has done a tremendous job. I'm concerned that in order to get to this point, he's had to push the team so hard they're struggling to finish off the season. As he's said all season, their margin for error is small. Games like last night are going to happen if the talent is close to equal.

WilliamTheIrish
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM

I was thinking about this last night. While I don't have the exact figures in front of me, Huggs has been very good at limiting minutes.

IMO it's more a question of talent in the program, rather than a question of fatigue.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
They've looked tired after the last 3 games.

That reminds me of what Huggins said after the Texas Tech loss. He said everyone in the program wants to go league. Then he said that the players complain of fatigue. He said how NBA players play 3 or 4 games a week, with travel time, no days off, etc. Said we don't have any athletes.

I gotta agree with him, we haven't had the best athlete on the court in any of our league games except maybe 5 minutes of the A&M game before Walker went down. Huggins has constantly said our margin for error is slim because we can't make up for our mistakes with athleticism.

Next year should be fun to watch. Walker, Beasley, Hoskins, Blake Young, Bennett/Colon. That'll be a hell of a line up.

leviw
02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I was thinking about this last night. While I don't have the exact figures in front of me, Huggs has been very good at limiting minutes.

IMO it's more a question of talent in the program, rather than a question of fatigue.

Some guys still aren't in shape and enjoy smoking cigarettes in their red Blazer while illegally parked in front of campus buildings at 9:15 a.m. too much to ever get into shape.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Some guys still aren't in shape and enjoy smoking cigarettes in their red Blazer while illegally parked in front of campus buildings at 9:15 a.m. too much to ever get into shape.
Hey now, the "Blazer" comment was out of line. Not every athletic department can afford Denali's.

leviw
02-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey now, the "Blazer" comment was out of line. Not every athletic department can afford Denali's.

Sorry. Should have said "red Blazer with Florida plates".

But speaking of, have you seen what most of the KSU baseball players drive? Wow.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Sorry. Should have said "red Blazer with Florida plates".

But speaking of, have you seen what most of the KSU baseball players drive? Wow.
Pretty bad, considering what the guys drive 80 miles to the east. :) We can't keep up.

leviw
02-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Pretty bad, considering what the guys drive 80 miles to the east. :) We can't keep up.

Actually, it's pretty impressive. A bunch of brand new trucks.

Maybe JB could pitch in the spring and get a vehicle up grade.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 11:40 PM

You mean that some of Huggys boosters are getting the players attention ? :)

I have said this several times now, Improvement this year, even better next year but Hugggy & KSU in year # 3 will be somebody in the Top 10 of college BB if the NCAA hasn't made any visits by then.

htismaqe
02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, Wichita State now shares the distinction with UNI of being one of only 5 teams to lose to DRAKE in conference play. :(

Saulbadguy
02-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, Wichita State now shares the distinction with UNI of being one of only 5 teams to lose to DRAKE in conference play. :(
WSU really tanked, and now it seems their wins vs LSU and Syracuse aren't as impressive, because those 2 teams are at very best, bubble teams, and likely headed to the NIT.

Saulbadguy
02-15-2007, 09:42 AM

Bill Walker drives a crappy chevy lumina or something like that.

duncan_idaho
02-15-2007, 10:14 AM
KSU will grow as a power under Huggins. Regardless of what some will throw out over his less than stellar actions in the past, he can coach and he can recruit. Anyone in the north that is not watching over their shoulder at KSU is making a mistake.

I do not think Anderson is even close to Huggins' abilities and MU will have some major recruiting issues for a few years till Anderson shows he can do it. He is an upgrade from Snyder but still not gonna run with the big dogs for a while.

In the years that Huggins and Anderson both were coaching in C-USA, Huggins won 1 (that's uno, un, one) more conference game than Anderson. Despite the fact that Anderson was at UAB and Huggins was at an already established Cincinnati program. I'm not worried about Anderson's ability to hang with Huggins.

Add a rebounder or two (and Mizzou has DeMarre Carroll coming in and an open scholarship to use) and Missouri is at worst a bubble team next year. I'd love for there to be more than one open schollie, but hey, those are the breaks.

As for KSU... I've no doubts Huggy will make them a force. The North is only going to get better ...

Saulbadguy
02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Looking at Rivals.com, it says Missouri has no commits for 2007. I'm not sold on Mike Anderson as of yet, but it's his first year. I'll give him a few years and see what he can do. McDermott at ISU has been disappointing but he hasn't had players to work with at all, and he is bring in a great class for next year and already has 2 commits for 2008. Doc Sadler is doing about what I expected, riding Maric to death, and they've been winning some games that way. It doesn't look like he is recruiting at the Big XII level yet. KU is KU, and K-State is going to be a power in the next few years.

Now we have to see if Colorado will hire anyone worth a damn.

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
WSU really tanked, and now it seems their wins vs LSU and Syracuse aren't as impressive, because those 2 teams are at very best, bubble teams, and likely headed to the NIT.

Pretty darn accurate,