PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Rounder for Carr?

Chief Roundup
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Texans | Team would like third-round pick for Carr?
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:59:11 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Houston Texans are hoping to attract a third-round draft pick in return for QB David Carr.

Any interest in David Carr?
We seem to be unsure how our QB situation is going to work out.

Bill Lundberg
02-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I would be for it.

milkman
02-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Hell no.

You think Hootie bitches about how long Green holds the ball?

Carr will make you miss those days.

RNR
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
A 3rd round pick is a risky pick in the draft and I would think Carr is worthy of that risk.

Direckshun
02-18-2007, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't jump on it just yet.

I wouldn't it put it out of the question, but I'd wait to see what happens with Huard.

Bill Lundberg
02-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Carr is younger and has more upside than Huard

Chief Roundup
02-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I think depending on what happens with Huard and Green that it would be worth the risk. Carr could learn a lot behind Green. Croyle could learn a lot from Carrs career.

Not to mention Carr has never had an O-line worth a crap around him down there in Houston.
I know we don't seem to have an O-line anymore either. :banghead:

crazycoffey
02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Carr is younger and has more upside than Huard

yes, but is he a better option than green? I know Trent never really regained form last year, but if he comes back, I think he's the clear starter. And why is everyone off the Brodie bandwagon, you all know something that I don't? I thought he had alot of potential still for QB of the future. In fact if he has any true potential, maybe he should get more play time, or just get the nod.

If we don't fix our O-line whoever we put up as QB is getting sacked. Carr is living that nightmare right now.

milkman
02-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I think depending on what happens with Huard and Green that it would be worth the risk. Carr could learn a lot behind Green. Croyle could learn a lot from Carrs career.

Not to mention Carr has never had an O-line worth a crap around him down there in Houston.
I know we don't seem to have an O-line anymore either. :banghead:

When a QB takes as many sacks as Carr has since he came into the league, he shares the blame for that number with his O-Line.

Carr's scouting report coming out of college indicated that he holds onto the ball too long.

That problem still exists.

He apparently has difficulty understanding the concept of getting the ball out quickly in order to avoid a few sacks.

He makes slow reads and acts as though he has all the time in the world to make a decision.

This is a problem the Texans have tried to address, but he just doesn't get it.

No, I don't want that dumbass anywhere near KC.

02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
A 3rd round pick is a risky pick in the draft and I would think Carr is worthy of that risk.
I agree,plus he had no O-line and was running for his life.

Hootie
02-18-2007, 10:50 AM
No, Carr is awful. You can blame his offensive line all you want, but I've seen my fair share of David Carr, and he can't read defenses. He has his mind made up where he's throwing the ball before he even snaps it...

Carr is a bust. I rather have Harrington. But Huard will be our starter.

milkman
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
No, Carr is awful. You can blame his offensive line all you want, but I've seen my fair share of David Carr, and he can't read defenses. He has his mind made up where he's throwing the ball before he even snaps it...

Carr is a bust. I rather have Harrington. But Huard will be our starter.

I hate to say, but I agree 100%.

Marco Polo
02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I'd take him for a 5th rounder with incentives up to 4th.

milkman
02-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I'd take him for a 5th rounder with incentives up to 4th.

We don't have a fourth, and I'd rather take my chances with a fifth round pick than just simply throw it away on Carr.

RNR
02-18-2007, 11:09 AM
We don't have a fourth, and I'd rather take my chances with a fifth round pick than just simply throw it away on Carr.
I guess I have not seen enough of him, what I have seen I would give a 3rd. But then again my team has Brooks and Walters :shake:

Eleazar
02-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I think he's kind of getting a bad rap here. The Texans' o-line issues are well known, and statistically he has been average for the past couple of years.

He definitely makes his share of bad decisions. He seems like a guy who needs better coaching than he's gotten thus far in his career. He's not too old to improve.

...but at the same time, how often do you see a high first round QB wash out of one city and go on to be a successful starter in another city? I can't think of one guy like that playing in the NFL right now.

QBs don't seem to be a position that translates well to that type of reclaimation project.

Hootie
02-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Now, personally...I wouldn't trade a 3rd rounder for the guy...but a 5th rounder? Shit, maybe...but regardless, I don't see it happening. Carl invested a 1st day pick on a QB last draft, so I have a feeling Croyle is going to be our QB in a few years...whether or not he pans out will be seen. Personally, I don't have a good feeling about him.

milkman
02-18-2007, 11:18 AM
I think he's kind of getting a bad rap here. The Texans' o-line issues are well known, and statistically he has been average for the past couple of years.

He definitely makes his share of bad decisions. He seems like a guy who needs better coaching than he's gotten thus far in his career. He's not too old to improve.

...but at the same time, how often do you see a high first round QB wash out of one city and go on to be a successful starter in another city? I can't think of one guy like that playing in the NFL right now.

QBs don't seem to be a position that translates well to that type of reclaimation project.

The inability to make quick reads is difficult to coach up.

A kid coming out of school can usually pick it up by his third season, and if they don't start getting it by their third season, they won't suddenly start getting it in their sixth season, no matter who is coaching them.

Eleazar
02-18-2007, 11:28 AM
The inability to make quick reads is difficult to coach up.

A kid coming out of school can usually pick it up by his third season, and if they don't start getting it by their third season, they won't suddenly start getting it in their sixth season, no matter who is coaching them.

He had it in college. Was he an inaccurate passer at Fresno state? I don't think anyone would say that. He didn't hoodwink everyone into thinking he was an accurate QB in college, he was. He hasn't adjusted to the pro game to this point, for whatever reason, exacerbated by his team not giving him much help. I think if he were on an offensively talented team he would probably play adequately to pretty well.

milkman
02-18-2007, 11:33 AM
He had it in college. Was he an inaccurate passer at Fresno state? I don't think anyone would say that. He didn't hoodwink everyone into thinking he was an accurate QB in college, he was. He hasn't adjusted to the pro game to this point, for whatever reason, exacerbated by his team not giving him much help. I think if he were on an offensively talented team he would probably play adequately to pretty well.

College is a different animal.

You can get away with locking onto one receiver at the college level, and as I said in an earlier post, some of his scouting reports coming out of college listed his propensity to hold onto the ball too long as one of his weaknesses.

As Hootie said, he can't read defenses, and while he could get away with it in college, he can't in the NFL.

PinkFloyd
02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Hell no.

You think Hootie bitches about how long Green holds the ball?

Carr will make you miss those days.

Exactly !!! The guy sucks... He looks like he's out there dreaming, and has no emotion at all... Even Trent could run circles around this guy...

BigChiefFan
02-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Carr will probably become a FA. No sense in giving up a draft pick for a high salary guy, that may not even be a starter for our team.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2007, 12:04 PM
When a QB takes as many sacks as Carr has since he came into the league, he shares the blame for that number with his O-Line.

Carr's scouting report coming out of college indicated that he holds onto the ball too long.

That problem still exists.

He apparently has difficulty understanding the concept of getting the ball out quickly in order to avoid a few sacks.

He makes slow reads and acts as though he has all the time in the world to make a decision.

This is a problem the Texans have tried to address, but he just doesn't get it.

No, I don't want that dumbass anywhere near KC.

I have to agree..no thanks on Carr...

Hes not worth any draft pick IMO. Ive seen quite a few of his games down here in Texas. Hes really nothing special. Hes not awful, but hes not going to be winning any playoff games anytime soon either. The Texans want to replace him with Plummer...think about that one for a minute...

Demonpenz
02-18-2007, 01:43 PM
i would take carr, he would bring some athletic ability to our statue at qb now.

Thig Lyfe
02-18-2007, 01:47 PM
i would take carr, he would bring some athletic ability to our statue at qb now.

That's a good point. However, I do think Carr needs a serviceable OL in order to meet his potential, and I'm not sure if we have that right now.

Demonpenz
02-18-2007, 02:06 PM
atleast carr could roll out the the right and have the atheltic ability to slide properly

Chiefs Pantalones
02-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I would take him. I'd bet that he has a better chance of working out for us than Croyle.

ChiefsCountry
02-18-2007, 02:20 PM
If I was the Raiders I would try to get Carr, even if they do draft Russell.

milkman
02-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I would take him. I'd bet that he has a better chance of working out for us than Croyle.

I wouldn't.

We know Carr can't read a defense, so he'll never be anything beyond a marginal QB.

Croyle still has a chance to show he has the ability to learn how to read a D.

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I'd take Carr he's like Aikman without an OL protecting him, but for a lower round pick though.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I'd take Carr he's like Aikman without an OL protecting him, but for a lower round pick though.

WTF??? Your comparing Carr to Aikman......thats laughable...

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2007, 03:52 PM
WTF??? Your comparing Carr to Aikman......thats laughable...

really?

I'm just really good in evaluating QBs that's all.

Brock
02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
really?

If you're comparing Carr to Aikman, you should rethink just how good you are at it.

milkman
02-18-2007, 03:56 PM
really?

LMAO

milkman
02-18-2007, 03:56 PM
If you're comparing Carr to Aikman, you should rethink just how good you are at it.

Can delusions be rethunk?

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2007, 03:57 PM
LMAO

Okay, fine once Carr get's on a team with a good OL you'll see what I'm talking about

02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I would try to talk them down to a 4th before I would take that deal. 4th and Hicks.

FDS
02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I would bet that training camp will have a glut of QBs. The quality of those QBs is question.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I would try to talk them down to a 4th before I would take that deal. 4th and Hicks.

So, you'd give up Michael Bennett and Hicks?

I'd trade Hicks for him straight up, but I'd still feel like I gave up too much.

02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
So, you'd give up Michael Bennett and Hicks?

I'd trade Hicks for him straight up, but I'd still feel like I gave up too much.

Crap. forgot about how the Chiefs always are without their 4th round pick. Damn it CARL!!! :cuss:

I would gladly give up Hicks for him. It is really not that lopsided of a trade when you think about it.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Okay, fine once Carr get's on a team with a good OL you'll see what I'm talking about

OK fine.......i guess Carr would be a good fit in KC then since we dont seem to want to win a playoff game again.....

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
OK fine.......i guess Carr would be a good fit in KC then since we dont seem to want to win a playoff game again.....

Yep, I guess so :rolleyes:

Rain Man
02-18-2007, 06:26 PM
This seems like the best deal since Marshall Faulk went for a 2nd and a 5th or whatever. I like Carr.

StcChief
02-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Hicks. Sims. for Carl.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't.

We know Carr can't read a defense, so he'll never be anything beyond a marginal QB.

Croyle still has a chance to show he has the ability to learn how to read a D.

Sometimes it takes QBs longer to work out for you than usual. Take Drew Brees for instance. San Diego was ready to give up on him earlier in his career, but he finally blossomed, then was let go but it worked out for both parties.

The safe bet would be to trade for Carr, and have Croyle settle in his destined place...back up QB.

milkman
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Sometimes it takes QBs longer to work out for you than usual. Take Drew Brees for instance. San Diego was ready to give up on him earlier in his career, but he finally blossomed, then was let go but it worked out for both parties.

The safe bet would be to trade for Carr, and have Croyle settle in his destined place...back up QB.

The Chargers were ready to give up on Brees after his second season.

He blossomed in his third season.

He was let go because of uncertainty about his shoulder, and because they had so much invested in Rivers.

If a QB doesn't start to show some progress by his 5th season, then it's highly unlikely he'll ever get it.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
The Chargers were ready to give up on Brees after his second season.

He blossomed in his third season.

He was let go because of uncertainty about his shoulder, and because they had so much invested in Rivers.

If a QB doesn't start to show some progress by his 5th season, then it's highly unlikely he'll ever get it.

There are numerous exceptions out there, but I get your point.

Brock
02-18-2007, 07:31 PM
The comparison to Brees is way out in left field. Carr compares more accurately with Joey Harrington.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
The comparison to Brees is way out in left field. Carr compares more accurately with Joey Harrington.

You don't think there's a chance at all Carr could turn out like Brees?

Brock
02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
You don't think there's a chance at all Carr could turn out like Brees?

what the hell indicates to you that he would? Brees was an ass kicking QB by his third year as a starter.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm wondering what people see in Croyle...

Easy 6
02-18-2007, 08:22 PM

I see a big arm & fair to middlin' accuracy, which can be improved over time. He wasnt ready last year & may not be ready this year, but then again most guys ARENT ready for a few years, so down the road he could be something. I'm willing to wait & see if KC can grow a QB.

As for Carr, i think he's capable of being a solid starter with the right team, but someone else can tackle that deal. We need young guys with bright futures.

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2007, 11:03 PM

I disagree, Harrington was given everything and Steve Mariucci's left nut to succeed but failed horribly

crazycoffey
02-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I know some say yes and some of us say no (I was on the no train too) But here is what CNNSI rumor mill has on the topic;

The Texans finally admitted what's been reported for a while now: David Carr is on the trading block. Houston is hoping to get a third-round pick for Carr that could escalate to a second-rounder. Houston, though, could have a hard time unloading Carr.
-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Houston is trying to trade David Carr, and thinks it may have a taker before the draft... Minnesota and Oakland are the two rumored destinations, but don't count out Miami, which never has met a quarterback it wouldn't trade to get, or Kansas City.
-- Trenton Times

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/02/19/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Strong arm, accurate, smart, and the will to succeed.

The Poz
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't think that there is any reason to sh!t all over Carr. He was in a piss-poor situation in Houston. A young team with no running game and no go-to TE, something every young QB needs to be successful. Sure Andre Johnson is a great WR but you have to consider his #'s even though he was the center of attention for the defence. Also, that O-line. Brutal.
I wouldn't mind having Carr but we can't be without a 3rd and 4th in the upcoming draft. If Carl can somehow work some creative magic to get him, great. But not for a 3rd.

chagrin
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
There can't be a worst O-Line in the NFL for the past 5 years straight. I think if someone would give the guy a REAL chance, he'd be fine. Although I don't think KC is the place.