PDA

View Full Version : WTF,I just don't get it

Nzoner
02-18-2007, 01:52 PM
So I went out last night with 4 other guys ,all much younger than I,for our city's annual Mardi Gras party.We went to 4 different bars and at every single bar it was nothing but hip-hop,hip-hop-and more hip-hop.

Now granted I'm 44 and I saw more than a few people in my age range at each of the bars but what I don't get is wtf is up with these DJ's who play nothing but hip-hop?

I understand the bulk of your customers are into it but there are some of us who would like a little old school or even new rock thrown in from time to time.

Even when I requested a song,it's like,"I don't know man,I'll see if I can get to it."

As a former mobile DJ myself I always let my customers pick the music and although I didn't always agree with what they wanted to hear it wasn't my place not to play what a customer wanted.

I'll stop rambling now,it's just I really hate to think about quitting going out but this is getting really old and maybe therein lies my answer as I'm getting older too and it's either deal with the new or open my own rock-n-roll bar.

PinkFloyd
02-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Was down there last night also... I feel the same... you say Lynard Skynard --- they say --- "WHO" ???

Deberg_1990
02-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Were they dance clubs?? People like to dance at clubs.....kinda hard to dance to Skynard and Zepplin...

Sully
02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Hater.

Buck
Next time bring your records with you.

Nzoner
Were they dance clubs?? People like to dance at clubs.....kinda hard to dance to Skynard and Zepplin...

No,all 4 bars were just good old neighborhood drinking bars.

PinkFloyd
02-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Didn't matter where you went... 99.9% of the crowd I saw probably wasn't even old enough to drink... BUT; they still got served...

Chiefs Pantalones
02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't see DJ's playing any oldies at bars, especially these days.

Nzoner
02-18-2007, 01:59 PM

It doesn't have to be old but a little rock n roll once in awhile would be music to my ears.

luv
02-18-2007, 01:59 PM
You can dance to anything when you're drunk.

luv
02-18-2007, 02:00 PM
THey do down here, but it's usually screwed up by making it into some sort of remix. I hate it when they play classic rock music, but put rap lyrics on top of it.

PinkFloyd
02-18-2007, 02:00 PM
You can dance to anything when you're drunk.

You've never been on a bowling or softball outting with the group of guy's I go with either...

Bowser
02-18-2007, 02:03 PM
1) Hip Hop brings out the ladies.

2) Ladies like to dance and play horny for the guys.

3) Guys come out because the ladies are out.

4) Guys buy more booze for themselves and the ladies, thinking they are going to get laid.

5) Bar makes more money selling more booze because drunk horny guy thinks he's going to get with dancing horny lady if he buys her one more drink.

6) Guys go home alone, but remember the bar where all the ladies were drunk and dancing.

7) Ladies go home drunk and alone, but happy, knowing that there is a bar that plays awesome dance music, and the guys are dumb enough to keep buying them drinks even though it won't get them anywhere.

I blame global warming.

Demonpenz
02-18-2007, 02:04 PM
i am glad i made it without sweet home alabama. I want to shoot myself when the song comes on and everyone goes nuts. Alabama sucks.

luv
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
i am glad i made it without sweet home alabama. I want to shoot myself when the song comes on and everyone goes nuts. Alabama sucks.
How could you not like Sweet Home Alabama?

Halfcan
I feel your pain Nzoner- I usually don't know any of the new music. It all sounds the same to me. I prefer a live band that can mix it up-from Jazz to Blues to Rock. That way you get a nice variety without getting drubbed in the head by the same techno drum riffs. 3 Bass hits and a clap, 3 bass hits double snare, 3 bass hit and a clap.... It gets old fast.

Not trying to be a hater-just saying, there is not much originality in the Music biz-its all about image.

Chiefs Pantalones
It doesn't have to be old but a little rock n roll once in awhile would be music to my ears.

Yeah, I like a little bit of everything.

Hip hop has really taken over, it's pretty sad when all they talk about is bitches and hos, drugs, dubs, 40s, guns, look at the money I have, etc. In that sense, it's bad, but I just block that stuff out and listen to the beat. I like that. And it's not all bad, but most of it is. I'd rather listen to the edited version of rap music, than the real version, by the way. When I burn CDs, I burn the edited version of said rap songs because I hate every other word being vulgar, but that's just me.

Nzoner
02-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I hate it when they play classic rock music, but put rap lyrics on top of it.

Last night I heard one where they used Supertramp's Breakfast In America and I told a few of my buddies,"you gotta be kidding me they focked with a classic by Supertramp!"

Bowser
02-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Last night I heard one where they used Supertramp's Breakfast In America and I told a few of my buddies,"you gotta be kidding me they focked with a classic by Supertramp!"

Just more proof that all originality is gone from the world when the hip hop community is recycling Supertramp.

PinkFloyd
02-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Afew years back they used Van Halen and Def Leppard in a rap song that involved the song "Wild Thing'... Rock bands like those two should tell the person with the idea to shove it up their arse and keep their band out of it...

Demonpenz
02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
i do have to say while we were at felix street pub they did play ramstien.. Which I which guy played. So that is always fun when you have all this bitches looking to dance and be stupid when ying yang twins come on. Then you hear do haust

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Afew years back they used Van Halen and Def Leppard in a rap song that involved the song "Wild Thing'... Rock bands like those two should tell the person with the idea to shove it up their arse and keep their band out of it...

I knew Tone sampled Jamies crying but did not know Def Lep was involved?

Phobia
02-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I don't even go out any more because of this....

Or maybe it's because I'm old, tired, married, and broke.

PinkFloyd
02-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I knew Tone sampled Jamies crying but did not know Def Lep was involved?

I thought I heard one with Van Halen's "Running w/ The Devil" and Leppards "Pour Some Sugar On Me" ??? Maybe not -- I might be thinking of the one you mentioned...

Braincase
02-18-2007, 02:34 PM
After church this mornin' , took two of my kids over to Jimmy John's for lunch. We grab a coulpe of sandwiches and sit down in a booth, and they have a classic rock channel hittin' 2 fers, and they just started a Led Zeppelin set. Second song was "The Immigrant Song", and before it was all done, I had my 8 year old daughter and my 5 year old son throwing up double vikings and bangin' their heads. The staff got a kick out of it, and I told 'em as we left that it was a part of their cultural heritage..."We come from the land of the ice and snow...".

Buck
02-18-2007, 02:37 PM
After church this mornin' , took two of my kids over to Jimmy John's for lunch. We grab a coulpe of sandwiches and sit down in a booth, and they have a classic rock channel hittin' 2 fers, and they just started a Led Zeppelin set. Second song was "The Immigrant Song", and before it was all done, I had my 8 year old daughter and my 5 year old son throwing up double vikings and bangin' their heads. The staff got a kick out of it, and I told 'em as we left that it was a part of their cultural heritage..."We come from the land of the ice and snow...".

Zep Rep

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-18-2007, 02:41 PM
I do. I play whatever gets requested and fill in the rest with "like" music. Played a gig last night and yes there was some hip-hop... probably about ten songs in a 3 hour period. There was also some country and plenty of "party standards" i.e. AC/DC, YMCA, Cha Cha Slide, Cotton Eyed Joe, Chicken Dance, Twist and Shout, etc... Ended the night with Sweet Home Alabama.

alpha_omega
02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
...or open my own rock-n-roll bar.

That is a great idea.

If you build it, they will come!!!!

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I thought I heard one with Van Halen's "Running w/ The Devil" and Leppards "Pour Some Sugar On Me" ??? Maybe not -- I might be thinking of the one you mentioned...

I think Pour some sugar on me came out after Wild thing-but I am not sure.

But yeah Eddie was pissed when he heard his brothers drums on that song without permission. I think VH eventually got a settlement, because it went away pretty fast and he never said another word.

It was actually a pretty descent dance tune-not really my thing-but it gets the girls up there dancing.

Whatever happened to Tone anyway-he seemed like a pretty cool dude?

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I do. I play whatever gets requested and fill in the rest with "like" music. Played a gig last night and yes there was some hip-hop... probably about ten songs in a 3 hour period. There was also some country and plenty of "party standards" i.e. AC/DC, YMCA, Cha Cha Slide, Cotton Eyed Joe, Chicken Dance, Twist and Shout, etc... Ended the night with Sweet Home Alabama.

Yep you sound like you know your stuff. That looks like a good mix so everybody gets something they like out of it. Nice job, I will have to keep you in mind for any weddings and such that crop up. Seems its hard to get a good DJ lately. The last wedding reception-it was the guys first gig and he had nothing but problems. I felt bad for the unhappy couple that finally pulled the plug on him.

Nzoner
02-18-2007, 03:30 PM
That is a great idea.

If you build it, they will come!!!!

A friend and I have seriously been kicking this around,we want to call it RETROS.While hip-hop and the like would be forbidden we'd still have a retro funk night,Parliment,Kool & The Gang,Ohio Players etc.Looking at drawing a crowd of 35 year olds + although I know some younger guys and gals that would definitely be at the place as well.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2007, 03:41 PM
A friend and I have seriously been kicking this around,we want to call it RETROS.While hip-hop and the like would be forbidden we'd still have a retro funk night,Parliment,Kool & The Gang,Ohio Players etc.Looking at drawing a crowd of 35 year olds + although I know some younger guys and gals that would definitely be at the place as well.

Theres a place similiar to that in KC. Its called Funky Town:

http://www.kcdance.com/Dancing/funky_town.htm?idkey=funkytown

I havent been there in about 7 or 8 years though....

milkman
02-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't go to clubs if they have a band or a DJ.

I've never liked the music of my generation, or the generations that followed.

I enjoy the music of the generations that preceeded me.

50's rock and roll, which is the real rock and roll, not the crap that followed.

I also like big band and the likes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.

FDS
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I've given up on music. Country sucks. Hip hop sucks. Rap sucks. Rock 'n Roll stations just repeat the same shit over and over. **** all music.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

DomerNKC
02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I've given up on music. Country sucks. Hip hop sucks. Rap sucks. Rock 'n Roll stations just repeat the same shit over and over. **** all music.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJagreed....except for the music on my mp3 player.

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't go to clubs if they have a band or a DJ.

I've never liked the music of my generation, or the generations that followed.

I enjoy the music of the generations that preceeded me.

50's rock and roll, which is the real rock and roll, not the crap that followed.

I also like big band and the likes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.

The 50's huh oldtimer-lol Yep I agree-Little Richard, Fats, Chubby, Link Wray, Elvis, Buddy Holly-lots of good music in there.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Yep you sound like you know your stuff. That looks like a good mix so everybody gets something they like out of it. Nice job, I will have to keep you in mind for any weddings and such that crop up. Seems its hard to get a good DJ lately. The last wedding reception-it was the guys first gig and he had nothing but problems. I felt bad for the unhappy couple that finally pulled the plug on him.
www.djparty.com if you're ever interested.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Well at least no one can ever accuse you of being judgemental.

:)

88TG88
02-18-2007, 04:12 PM
from all my club experiences i have gathered that its the chicks who like all the "shake ur booty" music. the guys just go along because there is a chance for some tang

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Well at least no one can ever accuse you of being judgemental.

:)

I'm just a hater.

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
from all my club experiences i have gathered that its the chicks who like all the "shake ur booty" music. the guys just go along because there is a chance for some tang

Can you ever learn to use a ****in' shift key?

SPchief
02-18-2007, 04:14 PM

Or punctuation?

|Zach|
02-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't even go out any more because of this....

Or maybe it's because I'm old, tired, married, and broke.
In that order?

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm just a hater.

I mean just because you labled almost 50 years of music as shit because you are stuck in Happy Days, doesn't make you a hater-just a bit jaded to reality-lol

88TG88
02-18-2007, 04:21 PM
***** YoU did it work ?

****ing spelling police

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
In that order?

lol I think that list is interchangable depending on the circumstances.

Like if the boys ask him to go out- "Sorry I'm tired" which actually means that I am married, old and broke. :)

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Or punctuation?

I thought of that too, but didn't think he'd know what it is, or have the wherewithal to look it up in the dictionary.

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 04:25 PM
***** YoU did it work ?

****ing spelling police

That would actually fall under Grammar-which is the scientific study and description of the morphology and syntax of a language or dialect.

Just saying.

Bwana
02-18-2007, 04:26 PM
***** YoU did it work ?

WTF? So is that your way of asking Milkman out on a date? :spock:

milkman
I mean just because you labled almost 50 years of music as shit because you are stuck in Happy Days, doesn't make you a hater-just a bit jaded to reality-lol

I hate you.

Nzoner

I'm a huge fan of Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:27 PM
***** YoU did it work ?

****ing spelling police

I don't know.

I guess you're happy to go through life looking like a dumbass.

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:29 PM

If you open the club, play them, and I ever make back out that way, I'll stop for a beer or three.

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I hate you.

So I guess I am in the same category as the beatle, stones, who, Led Zep, the 70's, 80's, 90's, and the last 7 years of music then?

Hey I gave props to those oldie artist- I like that stuff-that should count for something??

Bill Haley and the Comets are one of my favs!

Fairplay
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wyPKspLtL-w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wyPKspLtL-w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
So I guess I am in the same category as the beatle, stones, who, Led Zep, the 70's, 80's, 90's, and the last 7 years of music then?

Hey I gave props to those oldie artist- I like that stuff-that should count for something??

Bill Haley and the Comets are one of my favs!

I was just reinforcing my hater status.

Nothing personal.

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:33 PM
I was just reinforcing my hater status.

Nothing personal.

Oh, and for the record, I really do hate the ****in' Beatles and the Stones.

StcChief
02-18-2007, 04:37 PM
1) Hip Hop brings out the ladies.

2) Ladies like to dance and play horny for the guys.

3) Guys come out because the ladies are out.

4) Guys buy more booze for themselves and the ladies, thinking they are going to get laid.

5) Bar makes more money selling more booze because drunk horny guy thinks he's going to get with dancing horny lady if he buys her one more drink.

6) Guys go home alone, but remember the bar where all the ladies were drunk and dancing.

7) Ladies go home drunk and alone, but happy, knowing that there is a bar that plays awesome dance music, and the guys are dumb enough to keep buying them drinks even though it won't get them anywhere.

I blame global warming.

It's Disco all over, except getting laid.....

Disco was Pre-AIDS when get laid occured regularly.....

Global warming is likely is a factor in this. :p

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm partial to Lightfoot and Croce.

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I think Eric Casillias had these people in mind when he closed his show every day with "If you don't get any tonight, don't blame it on Barry White".

88TG88
02-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I thought of that too, but didn't think he'd know what it is, or have the wherewithal to look it up in the dictionary.
You're right, here i thought a football message board would be a place where the Queen's English wouldn't be necessary. I guess i was wrong.

Thig Lyfe
02-18-2007, 04:46 PM

You could get a room dancing to "Not Fade Away" even nowadays, I bet.

milkman
02-18-2007, 04:48 PM
You're right, here i thought a football message board would be a place where the Queen's English wouldn't be necessary. I guess i was wrong.

You were wrong.

Halfcan
02-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I met the Fonz once out at Arrowhead. Pretty cool guy.

go bo
02-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Can you ever learn to use a ****in' shift key?oh, c'mon...

some people are slow learners...

in fact, there's this other guy who does it all the time...

milkman
02-18-2007, 05:18 PM
oh, c'mon...

some people are slow learners...

in fact, there's this other guy who does it all the time...

You at least use punctuation.

kstater
02-18-2007, 06:48 PM

There need to be two spaces after the period.

Rain Man
02-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Maybe these bars don't really have DJ's, and so they just put one hiphop song on and have it repeat all night. It's not like anyone could tell the difference.

stevieray
02-18-2007, 07:07 PM
will paint mural for bar tab....

alanm
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Maybe these bars don't really have DJ's, and so they just put one hiphop song on and have it repeat all night. It's not like anyone could tell the difference.ROFL:LOL:ROFL

Nah.. I blame it on kids being lazy these days and not wanting to learn a craft like playing a guitar. Too much work.
It's easier to recite crappy poetry to a beat.
And all music has suffered as a result.:deevee:
If you want to find any decent rock you have to find it in England or Australia.

|Zach|
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
ROFL:LOL:ROFL

Nah.. I blame it on kids being lazy these days and not wanting to learn a craft like playing a guitar. Too much work.
It's easier to recite crappy poetry to a beat.
And all music has suffered as a result.:deevee:
If you want to find any decent rock you have to find it in England or Australia.
I believe the lazy one is the person who can't find good music...

alanm
02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I believe the lazy one is the person who can't find good music...It ain't being made in America.:shake:

|Zach|
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
It ain't being made in America.:shake:
Who could possibly argue against that?

You think this generation doesn't know how to play guitar. Your knowledge speaks for itself.

|Zach|
02-18-2007, 09:13 PM
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://stat.radioblogclub.com/radio.blog/skins/mini/player.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" width="180" height="23" bgcolor="#ECECEC" id="radioblog_player_0" FlashVars="id=0&filepath=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.fuse.net%2Feachnotesecure%2Fradioblog%2Fsounds%2FKarate%20-%20Airport.rbs&colors=body:#ECECEC;border:#BBBBBB;button:#999999;player_text:#999999;playlist_text:#999999;"></embed>

|Zach|
02-18-2007, 09:17 PM
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://stat.radioblogclub.com/radio.blog/skins/mini/player.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" width="180" height="23" bgcolor="#ECECEC" id="radioblog_player_0" FlashVars="id=0&filepath=http%3A%2F%2Fgrey.anatomy.free.fr%2FMultimedia%2Fradio%2Fradio.blog%2Fsounds%2F%5B2.26%5D%2 0Gomez%20-%20How%20We%20Operate.rbs&colors=body:#ECECEC;border:#BBBBBB;button:#999999;player_text:#999999;playlist_text:#999999;"></embed>

HMc
02-18-2007, 09:27 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkFnzS73yjU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkFnzS73yjU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

HMc
02-18-2007, 09:29 PM
i was at that gig, and knoxville came into my bar the day before, had a beer with him.

Cntrygal
02-18-2007, 09:46 PM
What I hate is on rock night... they'll throw in hip hop. On country night, they'll throw in hip hop. But on hip hop night - it's NOTHING but hip hop. ****ers.

Easy 6
02-18-2007, 09:53 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkFnzS73yjU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkFnzS73yjU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I had heard of these guys, but hadnt heard any music, that was good stuff. The singer reminds me of Jack White.

Thig Lyfe
02-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I had heard of these guys, but hadnt heard any music, that was good stuff. The singer reminds me of Jack White.

I think they have a song on the Madden 07 soundtrack.

boogblaster
02-18-2007, 11:02 PM
My hip don't hop and bitches that
want to hang with me buy the drinks ...70s rock is my bag and some 60s ...hard to find clubs that has a band to play it tho...I listen to 97.7 the DAWG they play good rock ....

Skip Towne
02-18-2007, 11:13 PM
My hip don't hop and bitches that
want to hang with me buy the drinks ...70s rock is my bag and some 60s ...hard to find clubs that has a band to play it tho...I listen to 97.7 the DAWG they play good rock ....
Nobody has ever heard of that station but then nobody else lives out in East Jesus like you. What is that? Radio Free Iola?

boogblaster
02-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Yep its Iola for sure, has a good booster tho, I can here anywhere for 50 miles ....

KC Kings
02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
It ain't being made in America.:shake:
Amen. Whatever happened to the good old days when you had good old American rock and roll like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Jethro Tull, and others.

I am glad that our American forefathers weren't lazy and learned how play guitar, because without guys like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page what little American Rock and Roll we have left, might not be here at all.

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Amen. Whatever happened to the good old days when you had good old American rock and roll like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Jethro Tull, and others.

I am glad that our American forefathers weren't lazy and learned how play guitar, because without guys like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page what little American Rock and Roll we have left, might not be here at all.

ROFL

Excellent work!

Inspector
02-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Vedera is made up of younger folks but their music really attracts music lovers of all ages. They call it "indie" and pop rock. All I know is, it's really good stuff. (IMO)

They are playing at Starlight Theatre on May 1st, opening for the Fray.

Their next CD is being released by Epic records this summer and the samples I've heard are as good as the stuff on "Weight of an Empty Room".

They are the fastest rising, hottest band out of the Kansas City area. Check 'em out.