PDA

View Full Version : If you dance, you may be sued now...

02-20-2007, 02:28 PM
This is laughable...

'Electric Slide' on slippery DMCA slope
By Daniel Terdiman, Staff Writer, CNET News.com
1 | 2 | Next >

The inventor of the "Electric Slide," an iconic dance created in 1976, is fighting back against what he believes are copyright violations and, more importantly, examples of bad dancing.

Kyle Machulis, an engineer at San Francisco's Linden Lab, said he received a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice about a video he had shot at a recent convention showing three people doing the Electric Slide.

"The creator of the Electric Slide claims to hold a copyright on the dance and is DMCAing every single video on YouTube" that references the dance, Machulis said. He's also sent licensing demands to The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Machulis added.

Indeed, Richard Silver, who filed the copyright for the Electric Slide in 2004, said on one of his Web pages that the DeGeneres Show had been putting up a legal fight as he tried to get compensation for a segment that aired in February 2006 in which actress Teri Hatcher and other dancers performed the popular wedding shuffle.

Sound Off: Can you be sued for doing the 'Electric Slide' wrong?

The 1998 Digital Millenium Copyright Act governs copyright infringement as well as technology whose purpose is to circumvent measures intended to protect copyrights. Under the DMCA, rights-holders can complain to services like YouTube that content uploaded by users infringes their copyrights.

Silver did not respond to an e-mail sent Friday asking for comment and did not answer several phone calls to his Groton, Conn., home. A representative for the DeGeneres Show declined to comment.

But on the YouTube page Silver himself posted showing the Electric Slide, he wrote, "Any video that shows my choreography being done incorrectly is being removed. I don't want future generations having to learn it wrong and then relearn it as I am being faced with now because of certain sites and (people) that have been teaching it incorrectly and without my permission. That's the reason I (copyrighted) it in the first place."

YouTube has been dealing with a slew of DMCA takedown claims recently. Viacom on Friday demanded the service remove a hundred thousand videos it claimed infringed its copyrights.

Some may find it odd that a dance could be copyrightable, of course. But according to Jason Schultz, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, dance moves can definitely be protected under copyright law.

"You can copyright the choreography for dances," said Schultz, "and then enforce the copyright against anyone who publicly performs the dance."

Does that mean that everyone who giggles their way through the Electric Slide with the wedding videographer shooting away is violating copyright? No, but the videographer could be at risk. But Schultz said he believes Silver's claims against Machulis and others who have posted videos on YouTube may be questionable.

"Someone who performs it noncommercially or adds their own artistic flair to the dance has a pretty good fair-use argument that their performance is noninfringing," Schultz said.

Because there are only about 20 seconds of actual footage of people doing the Electric Slide out of Machulis' nearly five-minute video, Silver's claim may be on shaky ground, Schultz said.

"Here, it's such a small piece of the video, and such a small piece of the dance (that) I think if (Silver brought) a copyright lawsuit, he would lose," he said.

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
We can dance if we want to.

Thig Lyfe
02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
That's just f*cking ridiculous.

Sully
02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
If you don't dance, then you're no friend of mine.

Ultra Peanut
That's just f*cking ridiculous.THAT IS NOT HOW THE MOTHER****ING SONG GOES NOW GET IT RIGHT OR PAY THE PRICE

If you don't dance, then you're no friend of mine.Better.

We can dance if we want to.
"Because of friends don't dance then their no friends of mine."

Rooster
02-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I think I will rent 'Footloose' tonight. :hmmm:

JBucc
02-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I sense thousands of shitty electric slide videos being uploaded as we type.

Sully
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
You can dance, you can jive.

Having the time of your life.

noa
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
I got sued for doing the macarena, but I deserved it.

Sully
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I got sued for doing the macarena, but I deserved it.

You may get sued again for admitting it.

kepp
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
If you don't dance, then you're no friend of mine.
S

greg63
02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
The little old lady who burnt her mouth on McDonnalds coffee thinks they have a case.

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I got sued for doing the macarena, but I deserved it.I think that was less the macarena, and more the nudity. And the pre-school.

Mile High Mania
02-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, could someone like Elway (or pick your HOF QB) file for a patent on the perfect football pass... and then sue someone every time they throw a pick or bad pass? I say go for it.

Who threw the first hail mary pass? That guy needs to file for a patent.

stevieray
02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
last dance with mary jane

Bob Dole
02-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Here's an NPR interview with Richard Pillowbiter about the story.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7492263

kepp
02-20-2007, 03:30 PM
S
I feel like I just tried to start the wave and everyone just sat there staring at me :doh!:

Sully
02-20-2007, 03:31 PM
A

...a, a, a, a.

Baby Lee
02-20-2007, 03:38 PM
The little old lady who burnt her mouth on McDonnalds coffee thinks they have a case.
Who?
Oh yeah, that old lady who sipped some coffee, burnt her tongue a little and got 80 bajillion dollars. That was ridiculous.

Redrum_69
02-20-2007, 03:41 PM
ANyone else think that Traci Bingham is fuggin beautiful on Surreal Life?

Sully
02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
ANyone else think that Traci Bingham is fuggin beautiful on Surreal Life?

I think she's gotten fairly manly looking.

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Who?
Oh yeah, that old lady who sipped some coffee, burnt her tongue a little and got 80 bajillion dollars. That was ridiculous.LMAO

greg63
02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Who?
Oh yeah, that old lady who sipped some coffee, burnt her tongue a little and got 80 bajillion dollars. That was ridiculous.
That's the one; her lawyers are thinking of working this case free of charge. :D

DenverChief
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I sense thousands of shitty electric slide videos being uploaded as we type.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5DUpat8zlbc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5DUpat8zlbc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DenverChief
02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ecg_jnyoUX8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ecg_jnyoUX8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Just so people know, I am officially claiming a copyright on the lewd hip thrust.

Frazod
02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
How about everybody who's ever been to a wedding and been victimized by this goddamn dance/song suing Machulis? That bastard.

And why stop there? All of us who were victims of the 70s should start a class action suit against the creators of disco, leisure suits and bellbottoms. :#

Deberg_1990
02-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I think I will rent 'Footloose' tonight. :hmmm:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XlTosh7UglM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XlTosh7UglM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

morphius
02-20-2007, 10:06 PM
How about everybody who's ever been to a wedding and been victimized by this goddamn dance/song suing Machulis? That bastard.

And why stop there? All of us who were victims of the 70s should start a class action suit against the creators of disco, leisure suits and bellbottoms. :#
Damn it now I have this horrible image of my head of Fraz in a bell bottomed leisure suite.

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I was raised baptist, so it's not my fault, but...what exactly is the Electric Slide? Where is it on the Footloose video below?

Frazod
02-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Damn it now I have this horrible image of my head of Fraz in a bell bottomed leisure suite.

Well, don't think that it never happened. :banghead:

Thankfully that shit had pretty much died out by the time I was in high school, but those junior high dances bring back some scary memories.....

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, don't think that it never happened. :banghead:

Thankfully that shit had pretty much died out by the time I was in high school, but those junior high dances bring back some scary memories.....

Those who got it worst were the ones who graduated high school from about 1977 to 1979. That's where you'll find the senior photos that'll make you howl.

Frazod
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Those who got it worst were the ones who graduated high school from about 1977 to 1979. That's where you'll find the senior photos that'll make you howl.

So, are you brave enough to post it? :titus:

morphius
02-20-2007, 10:13 PM
I was raised baptist, so it's not my fault, but...what exactly is the Electric Slide? Where is it on the Footloose video below?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B99wvrIoNSI

that was the best I could find, I refuse to look any longer. At least they spare you from the music.

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 10:31 PM
So, are you brave enough to post it? :titus:

Class of '81 here. Our styles are timeless.

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B99wvrIoNSI

that was the best I could find, I refuse to look any longer. At least they spare you from the music.

I could never remember all that.

Thanks for explaining, though.

Frazod
02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Class of '81 here. Our styles are timeless.

Are you sure you weren't a disco hold out? :D

RJ
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
One night me and a buddy are sitting in a dive bar (my favorite kind back in the day) when two fat girls walk up to us and ask if we know how to "Electric Slide". I do not know why they approached us or why they wished to learn this dance in this tiny little dive bar inside a corner row home in Baltimore, but they did. And just by chance, my buddy is the King of All Things Wedding. He knows every dance, every song, every tradition, every toast. So he tells them sure, I'll show you, just go put some money in the jukebox. So the girls drop a quarter in the machine and select.....Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash.

So there I sat on my bar stool, sipping my beer, watching my amigo doing the electric slide with two drunk fat chicks to Johnny Cash in the diviest of dive bars you've ever seen.

It was a long time ago so I don't think he can get sued.

RJ
02-20-2007, 10:44 PM

77 here, I can vouch for that.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Well the guy holds the patent for being a jackass for inventing that lame shit to start with.

Seriously, who really ever wanted to see a bunch of fat chicks and barflies do this stoopid thing in every bar for the last thirty years??

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Daniel Terdiman-lol I wonder if the I is silent.

I bet he heard "Hey TERDMAN or Terdmeister" a few times in the hallways in High school.