PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Morrison back in the ring .

ROYC75
02-21-2007, 07:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772386

Heavyweight Tommy Morrison has dreamed of this day for years -- the day he could box again.

Tommy Morrison
AP Photo/Katsumi Kasahara
Morrison (46-3-1, 40 KOs), now 38, returns to the ring after an 11-year layoff.

More than a decade after he was indefinitely suspended following a positive HIV test on the eve of a 1996 fight in Las Vegas, that day is here. He has been cleared to return to the ring after passing a battery of medical tests.

Morrison was licensed Tuesday by the West Virginia Athletic Commission and will face John Castle of Indianapolis in a four-round bout Thursday night at Mountaineer Race Track in Chester. Castle (4-2, 2 KOs) has been knocked out in his last two fights.

"It's been a long time coming," Morrison told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "I know I didn't have [HIV] in the first place. I never had it. I believe it, but they kicked me out of the sport. ... Over the last two or three months, I have taken five, six different [HIV] tests and continued to pass them. It was just a matter of time before they had to let me fight again."

Although Morrison's bout is not scheduled to be part of the live Versus-televised coverage of the card, the network might show highlights of Morrison's fight.

Morrison received his license in West Virginia after a passing a series of medical tests in Arizona, the results of which were forwarded to West Virginia.

"I'm excited about it," Morrison said. "I didn't lose my patience and get bitter and blame God after what happened to me. I knew God had an underlying purpose for what happened. I don't know what it is yet, but there was a purpose for what I have been through.

"No one believed that I was serious about this," he said, "but this thing is going to be big and I am going to be a better fighter than I was before, like George Foreman was like when he came back" after retiring for 10 years.

Morrison (46-3-1, 40 KOs) had hoped to return Jan. 19 in Phoenix, where he had the tests done. However, the licensing process in Arizona was not completed in time for him to fight on the card.

Boxers who test positive for HIV, the virus known to cause AIDS, are not allowed to fight in the United States. In a blood sport, the concern is that the virus could pass between cut fighters, even though there are no documented cases of that happening.

Marc Ratner, who was executive director of the Nevada State Boxing Commission at the time of Morrison's 1996 prefight test in Las Vegas, defended the results of that test Tuesday night.

"I can say unequivocally that he tested positive," Ratner said, "and that's why he did not fight Stormy Weathers that night." The bout was to take place Feb. 10, 1996.

Morrison, 38, maintains that his initial HIV test, the one that led to his suspension, was a false positive. He said all of his recent HIV tests have come back negative.

"I did every kind of test they have on the market and one that is not even approved yet," said Morrison, who said he weighs between 220 and 225 pounds, the same as he weighed during his prime. "They can't find any virus. I have taken test after test and they have all come up negative. I look like a pin cushion with all the tests I have taken. They can't find any virus because it never was.

"The results were sent to West Virginia. I was clean every time. It was a misdiagnosis [in 1996]. I think everyone should be happy for me. It will be the greatest comeback in the history of the sport," he said.

Lisa Woodard, 42, Morrison's fiancée, is with him in Chester and believes he doesn't have HIV.

"I just know that he is [HIV] negative," Woodard said. "I've had a slew of blood tests and they are all negative, too. I'm sleeping with him and I am as healthy as a horse. There is nothing for another boxer to get. He has nothing, so there is nothing to get. I am proof of that. He went through a million tests and passed everything. He's healthy. He's strong."

West Virginia doesn't require blood tests for boxers to be licensed, but Morrison said his Arizona results were sent to the West Virginia commission as a precaution.

"They don't require a test in West Virginia, but I took one anyway just to satisfy them," Morrison said. "I am going to change my nickname [from 'Duke'] to 'Hoops' because that's how many hoops I have had to jump through. I just want to pursue my dream. That is to fight. That is what God put me here to do. He didn't put me here to be a doctor or a lawyer. He put me here to fight."

Said Woodard: "We've gone through the process together for the past year. He told me this is his dream, to come back. It's been an uphill battle that we've been through together. I'm not nervous. I am very excited. I am happy to see his dream playing out in front of us because I love him so much. With Tommy, I just have so much confidence. I just know we're here and he will do his job. It's the beginning of an amazing journey."

Steve Allred, chairman of the West Virginia Athletic Commission, acknowledged that Morrison has been licensed, although he didn't want to talk specifically about his case, citing confidentiality concerns.

"I really can't comment on anything other than to assure you that West Virginia is taking every step possible to assure the safety and integrity of the fighters in the event," Allred said.

Allred said when his commission was approached a few weeks ago about Morrison fighting in the state, he immediately sought assistance from the Association of Boxing Commissions, a non-profit organization that helps set boxing standards throughout the U.S.

"When I was first informed that we had some people on the card that may need some additional testing, I worked very closely with the ABC and its medical people," Allred said. "We feel as though we've done our due diligence. We have no mandatory blood testing requirements in West Virginia, but I have been broadly interpreting our statutes to require medical exams from time to time for people who want to compete in the state. We're taking every step we feel as though we should to make sure a fighter is healthy."

In addition to Morrison, Allred was referring to heavyweight Joe Mesi (33-0, 26 KOs), who is on the card against George Lineberger (29-8-1, 25 KOs) in the opening TV bout. It will be Mesi's fifth bout since winning the right in court to seek a boxing license. He had been medically suspended in 2004 following a fight in Las Vegas in which he suffered bleeding on the brain in a win against Vassiliy Jirov.

Morrison said he was so despondent after his initial positive test -- which he revealed during a March 1996 chat with ESPN.com -- and subsequent suspension that he spent a few years in a depressed haze.

"But in about 2001 or 2002 I started to really educate myself about HIV and AIDS," he said. "Before that, I was trying to recover from what was going on. I was alienated globally. I would walk into a room and people would be like, 'Hide the children. Here comes the guy with AIDS.' That's very demeaning and it really hurts your spirit."

He said he took blood tests in 2002, 2003 and 2004 and "what the doctors would tell me is that the HIV is undetectable. 'We can't find it, but it's not a negative test.' I didn't understand that and they couldn't explain it to me. But I continued to take tests and the last five or six I have taken have been negative."

Morrison said he's been sparring for the past month and that it "feels pretty good." But he said people shouldn't expect him to be in top form immediately.

"One thing people need to understand is that I haven't done this in 10½ years," he said. "I won't be a world champion right off the bat, but I will. People need to cut me a break."

Top Rank, which is promoting Thursday's card, is considering signing Morrison if it is pleased with how he performs. Morrison said he has been training for months in Phoenix with trainer Jerry Cheatham and strength coach Mike Munoz.

Tony Holden, who promoted Morrison from 1989 to 1996, is the one who broke the news to him that he was HIV positive in 1996. Holden doesn't think Morrison should fight.

"I've never known [HIV] to go away," Holden said. "Could Tommy be the first? Absolutely, but I have never known it to go away. I want what is best for him. Do I want him to fight? No.

He's been out a long time and he was diagnosed with HIV."

Holden said he and Morrison have remained close, but that they haven't talked much recently.

"I care about him, but we haven't talked," Holden said. "I think he's angry because I have said he shouldn't fight again. If there's anything that is questionable you shouldn't fight."

After initially testing positive for HIV in 1996, Morrison boxed once more later that year, knocking out Marcus Rhode in Japan in November. There were no rules in Japan preventing an HIV-positive fighter from boxing.

Morrison reached the pinnacle of his career with a June 1993 decision win against George Foreman to claim the vacant WBO heavyweight title.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum was traveling home from a trip to Europe on Tuesday and was not available for comment. However, before Morrison was cleared to fight, Arum told ESPN.com he was considering getting involved in Morrison's comeback as long as he passed the appropriate medical tests.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Kraut
02-21-2007, 07:36 AM
He should just stay away from boxing. He wasn't that good to begin with. I will say he had some heavy hands, but was never that good of a fighter.

HonestChieffan
02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Joke...a Joke.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 07:39 AM
That's strange, I remember an old news story on him when he believed he had HIV, he was depressed and all (understandably) and he and his wife were braggin about having unprotected sex, regardless if they had children or not and were content to live and die together; pretty wreckless if ya ask me.

Anyway, it's always interesting when you hear a HIV positive and then years later it just "disappears".

He still sucked as a boxer though, remember that one fight he just stuck his face out there, lowered his arms and the dude just pounded him into oblivion.

Simply Red
02-21-2007, 07:44 AM
ROFL

Kraut
02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
ROFL
Hey! Come on now ! He did star in a Rocky movie. That counts for something.

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 08:05 AM
That's strange, I remember an old news story on him when he believed he had HIV, he was depressed and all (understandably) and he and his wife were braggin about having unprotected sex, regardless if they had children or not and were content to live and die together; pretty wreckless if ya ask me.

Anyway, it's always interesting when you hear a HIV positive and then years later it just "disappears".

He still sucked as a boxer though, remember that one fight he just stuck his face out there, lowered his arms and the dude just pounded him into oblivion.
I remember that story, too.

I wonder if his comeback will include beating Rocky?

ROYC75
02-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Wasn't the Ron Mercier fight in NJ ?

Redrum_69
02-21-2007, 08:12 AM
"Lisa Woodard, 42, Morrison's fiancée, is with him in Chester and believes he doesn't have HIV. "I'm sleeping with him and I am as healthy as a horse."

So TOmmy likes banging horses now?

Closet Bronco-fan!

RockChalk
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM

I believe that was against Mercer. Tommy got stuck in a corner and took about 11 straight blows to the skull.

Frazod
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I smell Rocky VII.... :fart:

Simply Red
02-21-2007, 09:48 AM

"the great white hope"

Riiiiiggggghhhhttttttttt!

Kraut
02-21-2007, 10:13 AM
"the great white hope"

Riiiiiggggghhhhttttttttt!
The true Great White Dope, oops I mean hope is the guy in the green trunks.....

Sully
02-21-2007, 10:20 AM

That movie NEVER existed.

Simply Red
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
The true Great White Dope, oops I mean hope is the guy in the green trunks.....

Gerry Cooney.. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Kraut
02-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Gerry Cooney.. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while.
The guy actually worked with my dad for a few months.

Simply Red
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
The guy actually worked with my dad for a few months.

Awesome. Did they ever shadow box on smoke breaks? Personally my money would've gone on your dad...

Kraut
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
From what I can remember he was there for a few weeks as like a temp employee. But during those few weeks he got his ass kicked by a bouncer in the city my dad worked.

htismaqe
02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Morrison wasn't a GREAT fighter, no.

But 46-3 with 40 knockouts does not equal "he sucks".

As for his HIV status, there is considerable, mounting evidence to suggest that certain designer steroids can produce a false positive for HIV.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM

As for his HIV status, there is considerable, mounting evidence to suggest that certain designer steroids can produce a false positive for HIV.

So I exaggerated a little, and his voctories weren't against top opponents, unless you count him barely beating grandpa Foreman

htismaqe
02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
So I exaggerated a little, and his voctories weren't against top opponents, unless you count him barely beating grandpa Foreman

True, he didn't fight top competition. If he had, his record probably wouldn't be nearly as good. Unfortunately, there wasn't much "top competition" in the heavyweight ranks at the time. I've never been a big fan of heavyweights anyway...

ROYC75
02-21-2007, 11:13 AM
True, he didn't fight top competition. If he had, his record probably wouldn't be nearly as good. Unfortunately, there wasn't much "top competition" in the heavyweight ranks at the time. I've never been a big fan of heavyweights anyway...

They were very selective to his opponets, didn't want to tarnish that big payday bout with Tyson. Naturally that didn't happen after the Mercer fight.

He was OK, not good. Again you said it best... { there wasn't much "top competition" in the heavyweight ranks at the time }

Inspector
02-21-2007, 11:14 AM
My oldest son met him and went to a party at his place.

He said Tommy was a good guy and they hung out a few times. This was a long time ago when Tommy was still fighting and was in KC a lot.

DaneMcCloud
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
They were very selective to his opponets, didn't want to tarnish that big payday bout with Tyson. Naturally that didn't happen after the Mercer fight.

He was OK, not good. Again you said it best... { there wasn't much "top competition" in the heavyweight ranks at the time }

That had nothing to do with the Ray Mercer fight. Tyson lost his title and was about to go to jail. Tyson ducked Holyfield before his prison sentence as well and Morrison was one fight away from Tyson before the HIV results.

Tommy Morrison was clearly a Top Ten ranked heavyweight opponent. To say he "sucks" is ignorant. He outboxed George Foreman before Foreman won the title from Michael Moorer. There is considerable evidence to prove that Morrison would have at least shared part of the Heavyweight Championship (WBC, WBA, IBF) if it had not been for the supposed false positive.

The current state of Heavyweight boxers out there is so sad that Morrison could easily be fighting for a version of the championship in the next 18 months, if he's cleared in Nevada.

Even though I ran into him only a few times back in the day (Westport, especially), he was pretty good friends with my brother and his family, as well as my parents. The HIV results sent his world in a downward spiral and for his sake, I hope that his comback is successful.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Tommy is a very cool dude. I have met him several times when I worked at Harrahs.

I have a pair of signed gloves he digned for me before the Razor Ruddock fight-if anyone collects that sort of thing. Perfect condition.

Iowanian
02-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Thats an important E.

"We're sorry Tommy Gunn, I misread the test. The nurse tells me I forgot an "E" and I should have said you have HIVES, H-I-V......E-S."

http://www.tumama.net/images/hives/hives_03.jpg

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Gross!

milkman
02-21-2007, 08:31 PM

Regardless, if I were a fighter, I would certainly have misgivings about getting into the ring with Morrison.

milkman
02-21-2007, 08:32 PM

Back in the day, when the heavyweights included Ali, Frazier, Norton and Foreman, it was the class of the boxing world.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Tommy didnt fight anybody??? Who the hell did Iron Mike fight?? He lost to Buster if I recall.

Skip Towne
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Tommy is from the small town of Jay, Oklahoma. He was winning toughman contests, against grown men, when he was 16 years old. He says "They were drunk and I was underage so I was sober." Yes, Milkman, he isn't to be toyed with.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
If Don King would have managed Tommy's career from the start-he would have been champ.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Nobody can beat that giant Russian dude.

Sully
02-21-2007, 09:20 PM
I was looking to see who would profit from this fight, and all I could find was this:

The transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Morrison's higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

KCWolfman
02-21-2007, 10:12 PM

Parker - There is also proof positive that you can fake out any HIV test made today if you get an overdose of treatment prior to testing. The T-Cells reproduce at a rapid rate and make the man look healthy for almost a week before they start to break down.

There is a reason why Morrison is fighting in West Virginia - It is one of the few states that do not require mandatory blood testing for a boxing match.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 10:14 PM
They also let you marry your sister.

KCWolfman
02-21-2007, 10:16 PM
That had nothing to do with the Ray Mercer fight. Tyson lost his title and was about to go to jail. Tyson ducked Holyfield before his prison sentence as well and Morrison was one fight away from Tyson before the HIV results.

Tommy Morrison was clearly a Top Ten ranked heavyweight opponent. To say he "sucks" is ignorant. He outboxed George Foreman before Foreman won the title from Michael Moorer. There is considerable evidence to prove that Morrison would have at least shared part of the Heavyweight Championship (WBC, WBA, IBF) if it had not been for the supposed false positive.

The current state of Heavyweight boxers out there is so sad that Morrison could easily be fighting for a version of the championship in the next 18 months, if he's cleared in Nevada.

Even though I ran into him only a few times back in the day (Westport, especially), he was pretty good friends with my brother and his family, as well as my parents. The HIV results sent his world in a downward spiral and for his sake, I hope that his comback is successful.

One is not tested only once for HIV. He would have received many CD4 tests over the several years of treatment. He also received AZT. To receive the drug, his T-Cells would have been monitored very closely to check the results. He produced a low T-Cell count the entire time he was on AZT (if he isn't still on it today).

There is more than just a single supposed "False positive" result against Mr. Morrison. He could clear up the air easily by offering any of the boxing organizations multiple clear blood tests over the course of a few weeks - he has refused. One has to wonder why/.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Still, no offers for my gloves???

KCWolfman
02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Still, no offers for my gloves???
Is there blood on them?

Fish
02-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Did anybody hear his interview with Dan Patrick yesterday? This guy sounded like a ****in nutjob idiot....

Dan Patrick said it was the craziest interview since Tonya Harding....

I tried finding a clip of it, but you have to be an ESPN Insider...

boogblaster
02-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Morrison is one of the heaviest hitters of modern day boxing..true hes not flashy, but he hits like a stick of dynamite..givin a shot he could still knock anybody out...

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 11:44 PM
out or up for the ladies out there-lol

PastorMikH
02-21-2007, 11:46 PM
"It's been a long time coming," Morrison told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "I know I didn't have [HIV] in the first place. I never had it. I believe it, but they kicked me out of the sport. ... Over the last two or three months, I have taken five, six different [HIV] tests and continued to pass them. It was just a matter of time before they had to let me fight again."

There is more than just a single supposed "False positive" result against Mr. Morrison. He could clear up the air easily by offering any of the boxing organizations multiple clear blood tests over the course of a few weeks - he has refused. One has to wonder why/.

Which brings up the point, if you are going to cheat on a drug test, MAKE SURE the person's sample you sneak in doesn't have a more serious issue than the sample you could have personally provided.

:)

boogblaster
02-21-2007, 11:51 PM
That would be my guess too Pastor he probably took someone elses urinre sample and got pegged with the hiv pos test results ....

SPchief
02-21-2007, 11:51 PM
If he "knew" he didn't have the aids, then why did he wait 10 years to give multiple blood samples showing he didn't have the aids? Whoever is promoting this fight is both genious and retarded.

boogblaster
02-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I knew some guys that used to bounce with Morrison in clubs..they said he was into coke & pot.. so he could've carried in a dirty sample ....

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2007, 01:03 AM
One is not tested only once for HIV. He would have received many CD4 tests over the several years of treatment. He also received AZT. To receive the drug, his T-Cells would have been monitored very closely to check the results. He produced a low T-Cell count the entire time he was on AZT (if he isn't still on it today).

I quoted it because I don't think it was a false positive. I clearly remember Morrison going through AZT treatment and wonder why that hasn't been brought up. What effect would AZT have on a person without that virus?

OTOH, it's nice to see that AIDS isn't the death sentence that many of us thought it would be back in the 80's. It's obvious that with the proper treatment, many people live very productive lives.

Nice to you see back here.

ROYC75
02-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Damn,A Wolfman sighting ? Time to sing "Clap for the Wolfman" ..........

Where the heck have you been man ?

Skip Towne
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
On one drunken adventure, Morrison stopped for gas but forgot to pay for it. He also forgot to hang up the gas nozzle before driving away. When the cops caught up to him the nozzle was still hanging out of his gas tank.

JohninGpt
02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
On one drunken adventure, Morrison stopped for gas but forgot to pay for it. He also forgot to hang up the gas nozzle before driving away. When the cops caught up to him the nozzle was still hanging out of his gas tank.

True story, it happened in Broken Arrow at a convenience store about 1/2 mile east of where my parents live on 71st St.

Pennywise
02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
I just rode in from Dodge and my nuts are kind of sore /John Wayne voice

ROYC75
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/boxing/story/10015492

Morrison's left hook storms Castle in second round

Feb. 22, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHESTER, W.Va. -- Former WBO heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison stopped John Castle in the second round Thursday night in his return to the ring 11 years after testing positive for the virus that causes AIDS.

The 38-year-old Morrison, who claims he has no trace of the AIDS virus after taking several HIV tests, dropped Castle with a left hook to the head midway through the second of the scheduled four-round fight at Mountaineer Racetrack and Gaming Resort, about 60 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

The bearded Castle slowly got up and referee Dave Johnson counted to eight before stopping the match.

Morrison (47-3-1), who until that point had landed few punches, fell to his knees afterward and raised his arms skyward.

"I wanted to show not just the fans but myself that I'm not lying to myself," Morrison said. "For the first fight in 11 years, with a win under my belt, I'm pretty happy."

Castle hadn't fought in nearly two years but said he wasn't going to fight Morrison until he personally reviewed Morrison's medical records. He got the chance to do so about four hours before the fight.

Castle, wearing black trunks, showed up in the ring 11 minutes before Morrison, wearing red trunks with yellow stars and his nickname Duke, received a solid ovation from the crowd.

Morrison was clearly outpointed in the first round, taking two solid punches to the head. He took another hit to the forehead in the second before landed the knockout blow.

"With a guy who was 4-2, I should never have gotten to (fight) him at all," Castle said.

Morrison won the WBO title in 1993 by outpointing George Foreman. He lost it later that year. Morrison, who was featured in the movie Rocky V, also served a couple of years in an Arkansas prison on drug and weapons charges.

In February 1996, Morrison tested HIV positive just before a scheduled fight against Stormy Weathers. At the time, Morrison said he likely contracted the disease through a promiscuous sex life.

Morrison said earlier this week he has taken several HIV tests while preparing for his comeback and all have been negative.

West Virginia Athletic Commissioner Steve Allred approved Morrison's participation after reviewing medical records and consulting with the Association of Boxing Commissions' medical review committee.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

cardken
02-22-2007, 10:25 PM
"Remember, it's not how hard you can punch, but how hard you can get punched and keep going forward."- Rocky Balboa.2006. Is this guy tying to live off the screen "sucess" of the Rocky film. Time has passed, if he was unjustly kept from boxing, so be it, you got screwed move on. Why ruin what was a great albeit short career.What I think, I could be wrong.

Bob Dole
02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
"Remember, it's not how hard you can punch, but how hard you can get punched and keep going forward."- Rocky Balboa.2006. Is this guy tying to live off the screen "sucess" of the Rocky film. Time has passed, if he was unjustly kept from boxing, so be it, you got screwed move on. Why ruin what was a great albeit short career.What I think, I could be wrong.

A guy doesn't typically lose the ability to take a punch, and that's always been Morrison's strongest skill IBDHO.

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Time has passed, if he was unjustly kept from boxing, so be it, you got screwed move on. Why ruin what was a great albeit short career.What I think, I could be wrong.

Are you serious? If Morrison (or any boxer) still has the skills to compete, regardless of age, he should be competing. The amount money that he could make is absolutely enormous, especially given the current state of heavyweight boxing. If he's healthy and prepared to compete, he'd be a fool not to try.

Skip Towne
02-23-2007, 10:59 PM
A guy doesn't typically lose the ability to take a punch, and that's always been Morrison's strongest skill IBDHO.
We must not be talking about the same guy. Morrison hits really hard.

Bob Dole
02-23-2007, 11:02 PM
We must not be talking about the same guy. Morrison hits really hard.

Bob Dole isn't saying that he hits like a girl, but there are a lot of fighters that hit hard. Bob Dole is saying that he can take some shots that would put other fighters on their ass, and that's what really set him apart.

DaneMcCloud
02-23-2007, 11:22 PM
The biggest disappointment with Morrison's career is that he actually could have been involved in some epic battles and may have held the undisputed heavyweight championship at some point if hadn't put so much emphasis on partying. Back in the "day", the guy could be found out in Westport almost every night (I know this because yours truly was in Westport almost every night).

Once Bill Caton (Tyson's former manager) stepped into the picture, Morrison's career took off. If he would have broken away from John Brown and that whole mess much sooner, he *may* have been more focused on his career.

But one thing's for certain: He had enough talent to beat George Foreman just a few years before Foreman regained the title, he had tremendous stamina and punching power in the ring and was a huge box office draw (at the time).

He was really primed to go to the next level when the "phantom" HIV tests appeared. I truly hope that for he and his family's sake (is he on wife three or four?) that he's allowed to continue to fight and that he only gets better.