PDA

View Full Version : Reunited Van Halen tour canceled.

BigRedChief
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/21/the-official-word-van-halen-tour-kaput/

It looks like David Lee Roth’s first tour with Van Halen in twenty-three years won’t happen, after all. Over the weekend, employees of tour promoters Live Nation were informed that “the Van Halen tour has been shut down.” It’s not yet clear what went wrong: Just last week, the band released their first official photo of their new line-up to Rolling Stone. At the time, Roth told us that he was thrilled about the tour, and that the reunion could be permanent: “I have hope and faith – and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque,” he said. Check back here for

StcChief
02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
lack of interest

Stewie
02-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Jeezus! Can't these people get their shit together?

chagrin
02-22-2007, 08:18 AM
haha - why am I not suprised

MOhillbilly
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
hey david- fool me once/fool me twice. you should have learned that lesson by now....

Simplex3
02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
LMAO

This is probably just another publicity stunt by a bunch of has-beens trying to keep you guys starting threads about them.

jidar
02-22-2007, 08:24 AM
care factor: close to 0

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 08:26 AM
hey david- fool me once/fool me twice. you should have learned that lesson by now....

I saw Eddy Van Halen on the cover of some magazine at the grocery store check out line and he looks bad. Real bad, strung out bad.

Frazod
02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
In other news, Captain Renault is shocked-shocked, I tell you-to find that gambling is going on at Rick's.

:whackit:

Sully
02-22-2007, 09:16 AM
So we are moving the Van Halen tour warning back down to yellow?

boogblaster
02-22-2007, 09:28 AM
If you turn-around it will keep that come-back from happenin ...

Fire Me Boy!
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I heard yesterday that part of the reason for the shutdown was Eddie's rep/girlfriend announced the reunion before anyone came to terms.

It's been put on indefinite hold... doesn't mean it won't happen, but it has definitely been postponed.

vailpass
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Any chance I had of giving a **** about this reunion ended when I heard Michael Anthony was being replaced with Eddie's kid.
Now Eddie can take his cabbage patch kid looking face and blow away for all I care.

Fire Me Boy!
02-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Any chance I had of giving a **** about this reunion ended when I heard Michael Anthony was being replaced with Eddie's kid.
Now Eddie can take his cabbage patch kid looking face and blow away for all I care.
I tend to agree.

Reerun_KC
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Without Michael Anthony and Sammie, would it be much of a tour?

Sammie's and Anthony's vocals and the Van Halen Brothers playing is what make the band.

Roth Sucks ass and I really dont want to see Roth's homo flaming ass on stage either....

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Sammy does not make Van Halen... Roth was greatness in his day. The Sammy era was really good, but I'm still a fan of the original.

Sounds like the tour is not cancelled, it's postponed until the contractual items are worked out. I think they were getting well ahead of themselves, trying to plan everything in conjunction with the R&RHOF.

And, I would definitely rather see Anthony... but, I'm a fan and despite all the drama... I would still like to see them one more time.

Braincase
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Somewhere in Cabo, Michael Anthony and Sammy are laughing their asses off.

vailpass
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Without Michael Anthony and Sammie, would it be much of a tour?

Sammie's and Anthony's vocals and the Van Halen Brothers playing is what make the band.

Roth Sucks ass and I really dont want to see Roth's homo flaming ass on stage either....

Funny how tastes vary.For me, the day DL Roth left VanHalen was the day VanHalen changed to VanHagar and entered the land of sucky pop band.

Van Halen I, II, Diver Down, 1984 were some absolutely rocking albums and Roth was a big reason for that, IMHO.
Sammy "can't drive 55" was a cheesy front man who helped Eddie leech a few more $ out of the VanHalen band name, IMHO.

Reerun_KC
02-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Sammy does not make Van Halen... Roth was greatness in his day. The Sammy era was really good, but I'm still a fan of the original.

Sounds like the tour is not cancelled, it's postponed until the contractual items are worked out. I think they were getting well ahead of themselves, trying to plan everything in conjunction with the R&RHOF.

And, I would definitely rather see Anthony... but, I'm a fan and despite all the drama... I would still like to see them one more time.

I guess we like the difference in the two. I cant stand Roth, even my 14 year old daughter thinks he is gay...

I thought Sammie was better, but no Anthony, no harmony...

Brock
02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Sammy "can't drive 55" was a cheesy front man who helped Eddie leech a few more $ out of the VanHalen band name, IMHO.

They did some good stuff with Sammy, but the majority of it was syrupy pop music. I was interested in what they would do with this reunion, but I doubt it's even going to happen.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree that the Hagar era was more "made for radio" and that the Roth era was more of a fun party. I like a number of the Hagar era songs and I have all of the albums except for the failed Cherone experiment.

And, if it weren't for VH bringing in Sammy... there wouldn't be the infamous Cabo Wabo, the branded tequila and Sammy would be a 3 hit wonder that many forgot about 15 years ago.

It's sad that the band couldn't go on with Roth past 1984... those albums in the original era were total greatness and yes, sadly ... the band has become a cartoonish type of joke.

Again... and call me a sucker, but I'd pay to see the potential train wreck. The R&RHOF ceremony should be quite interesting when they all get together.

ck_IN
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
<i>Sammy does not make Van Halen... Roth was greatness in his day. The Sammy era was really good, but I'm still a fan of the original.</i>

The tale of two Halens.

I too am a fan of Van Hagar. I couldn't care less about Van Roth. Van Roth is what I remember the dead heads and druggies raving about in high school. And the lyrics pretty much supported it. Not everything Van Hagar did was worth listening to but at least the song writing matured to a level where it was worth listening to. Something a bit more substantial then I'm hot for my teacher. :rolleyes:

vailpass
02-22-2007, 10:34 AM
They did some good stuff with Sammy, but the majority of it was syrupy pop music. I was interested in what they would do with this reunion, but I doubt it's even going to happen.

I would not have minded seeing Eddie whale on that axe one more time. Regardless of the off-stage drama that fothermucker can play a guitar just like a ringin' a bell.

Mile High Mania
I guess we like the difference in the two. I cant stand Roth, even my 14 year old daughter thinks he is gay...

I thought Sammie was better, but no Anthony, no harmony...

Well, your 14 year old daughter can't possibly have an appreciation for the late 70s and early 80s version of the band, so that is pretty pointless. I'm sure she thinks Justin Timberlake is dreamy.

Radar Chief
Funny how tastes vary.For me, the day DL Roth left VanHalen was the day VanHalen changed to VanHagar and entered the land of sucky pop band.

Van Halen I, II, Diver Down, 1984 were some absolutely rocking albums and Roth was a big reason for that, IMHO.

Yup, the day they picked up “the Red Rider” to replace DLR, they became Sammy Hagar with a better band.

jenksme
With Sammie it was Van Hagar and not Van Halen. They were by far better w/ DLR. That is my opinion.

Brock
02-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Something a bit more substantial then I'm hot for my teacher. :rolleyes:

Yeah, real mature subject matter like "1-800-spank" :rolleyes: .

L.A. Chieffan
02-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, your 14 year old daughter can't possibly have an appreciation for the late 70s and early 80s version of the band, so that is pretty pointless. I'm sure she thinks Justin Timberlake is dreamy.
ahhhhh JT. Im gonna put his picture in my trapper keeper.

ck_IN
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
<i>Yeah, real mature subject matter like "1-800-spank"</i>

Like I said not everything was worth listening to.

I happened to like 'Right Now'. It was probably considered radio music but I like the lyrics and the message. Off hand I can't think of an equal in the Van Roth era.

Frankly though I'm not a huge fan of either era, although I did see Van Hagar in concert here in Indy.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM

The tale of two Halens.

I too am a fan of Van Hagar. I couldn't care less about Van Roth. Van Roth is what I remember the dead heads and druggies raving about in high school. And the lyrics pretty much supported it. Not everything Van Hagar did was worth listening to but at least the song writing matured to a level where it was worth listening to. Something a bit more substantial then I'm hot for my teacher. :rolleyes:

Well, if you're judging that era by 'Hot for Teacher'... then you're missing the point and not looking at the greatness prior to 1984.

Again, I'm not going to bash the Hagar era because there are a number of songs that I really like. But, if you're going to take a jab at 'Hot for Teacher'... I will offer up 'Poundcake'.

Both versions of VH had their highs and lows.

chagrin
02-22-2007, 10:39 AM
With Sammy, in my opinion they reached a higher level of "listenable" (to the younger crowd, even though the original lineup catered to the youth of that time) sappy music, but don't be fooled, there were some very well written tunes during his years.

The best "pure" music works were with David, just my take.

I like both, for this band I do not pick sides, other than to say Alex is a flat average drummer, a dickhead as well; oh yeah and screw Gary Cherone.

chagrin
02-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Well, your 14 year old daughter can't possibly have an appreciation for the late 70s and early 80s version of the band

My guess is, he can't either

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I can put in any cd from the Roth era and maybe skip 2 songs. I can put in any album from the Hagar era and skip a few more.

"Love comes walking in" - enh, didn't do much for me

DOA - Take your whiskey home - Full Bug - Could this be magic - Where have all the good times gone - Beautiful Girls - Unchained - Everybody Wants Some - Bottoms Up - On Fire - Little Guitars

If you listen to that last grouping of songs and still say that the Roth era was bad... well, I think you have serious issues.

Hmmm, I think I'll go find Diver Down, possibly Fair Warning.

chagrin
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I can put in any cd from the Roth era and maybe skip 2 songs. I can put in any album from the Hagar era and skip a few more.

"Love comes walking in" - enh, didn't do much for me

DOA - Take your whiskey home - Full Bug - Could this be magic - Where have all the good times gone - Beautiful Girls - Unchained - Everybody Wants Some - Bottoms Up - On Fire - Little Guitars

If you listen to that last grouping of songs and still say that the Roth era was bad... well, I think you have serious issues.

Hmmm, I think I'll go find Diver Down, possibly Fair Warning.

Mean Street

vailpass
02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
VanHagar? As if....

Mile High Mania
Feel Your Love Tonight - greatness

"Alright
We're gettin' funny in the back of my car
I'm sorry honey if I took you just a little too far, yes
Uh too too far
Uh so I, I told the fellas out behind the bar
So let me tell you honey just how fine you are, yes
I guess you are
You see I'm beggin' you please
(Beggin' you baby, beggin' on my bended knees)
Sayin' I can't wait to feel your love tonight, ooh
Seen you drivin' up and down my road
I tell you honey you're the prettiest girl I know, yes
Uh that's for sure
But uh, better use it up before it gets old, no
I tell you honey now you've let your life grow cold, no
Uh no, no, no
I'm a beggin' you
(Beggin' you baby, beggin' on my bended knees)
I can't wait to feel your love tonight
(I can't wait to feel your love tonight)
I can't wait to feel your love tonight
(I can't wait, I can't wait) Whoo "

ck_IN
Isn't it amazing how a band that hasn't had a new song in at least a decade already has a 33 post thread?

I probably shouldn't have mentioned Hot for Teacher MHM but I've just never got the Greatness of DLR. Maybe I've completely missed something. Maybe his luv of spandex has turned me cold. Maybe it's those shrieks of his like someone just vise gripped his balls. And maybe I've missed some of the best written songs of all time.

Or maybe Van Roth produces party music that goes really well with alcohol (not a thing wrong with that) and should be viewed in that light. And maybe Van Hagar produces music that goes well with alcohol but occasionally reaches a little higher and tries to say something.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Ok - last one before lunch...

Beautiful Girls

"She was seaside sittin’, just a smokin’ and a drinkin’ on ringside,
On top of the world, oh, yeah.
She had her drink in her hand; she had her toes in the sand and whoa,
What a beautiful girl, ah, yeah.
What a sweet talkin’ honey with a little bit of money can
Turn your head around.
Creatures from the sea with the look to me like she’d like to fool around.
What a snappy little mammy. gonna keep her pappy happy
And accompany me to the ends of the earth, ah, yeah.
Here I am, ain’t no man of the world, no.
All I need is a beautiful girl.
Ah, yeah! beautiful girls.
Well, I’m a bum in the sun and I’m having fun.
And I know you know I got no special plans.
All the bills are paid. I got it made in the shade,
And all I nee, nee, need is the woman.
What a sweet talkin’ honey with a little bit of money can
Turn your head around.
Creatures from the sea with the looks to me like she’d like to fool around.
Now, I’m a seaside sittin’, just a smokin’ and a drinkin’;
I’m ringside, on top of the world.
I got a drink in my hand; I got my toes in the sand.
Ah, yeah! beautiful girls."
(repeat and fade)

Brock
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
And maybe Van Hagar produces music that goes well with alcohol but occasionally reaches a little higher and tries to say something.

Sure, it says "buy my tequila".

Bugeater
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
And, if it weren't for VH bringing in Sammy... there wouldn't be the infamous Cabo Wabo, the branded tequila and Sammy would be a 3 hit wonder that many forgot about 15 years ago.
That's bullcrap. Sammy had more than 3 hit songs...

I can't drive 55
I'll fall in love again
Heavy Metal
Three lock box
You're love is driving me crazy
There's only on way to rock

He also did a lot good stuff that was never played on the radio, and he was great in concert. He didn't need to join Van Halen to validate his career.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Isn't it amazing how a band that hasn't had a new song in at least a decade already has a 33 post thread?

I probably shouldn't have mentioned Hot for Teacher MHM but I've just never got the Greatness of DLR. Maybe I've completely missed something. Maybe his luv of spandex has turned me cold. Maybe it's those shrieks of his like someone just vise gripped his balls. And maybe I've missed some of the best written songs of all time.

Or maybe Van Roth produces party music that goes really well with alcohol (not a thing wrong with that) and should be viewed in that light. And maybe Van Hagar produces music that goes well with alcohol but occasionally reaches a little higher and tries to say something.

Possibly, but let's not act like Sammy was friggin Bono from U2 or something trying to send political messages. Sammy is still the guy that wrote and sang "I can't drive 55".

Brock
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
He also did a lot good stuff that was never played on the radio, and he was great in concert. He didn't need to join Van Halen to validate his career.

It doesn't matter. As someone alluded to earlier, Van Halen with Sammy Hagar was just Sammy Hagar with a great band backing him up.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
That's bullcrap. Sammy had more than 3 hit songs...

I can't drive 55
I'll fall in love again
Heavy Metal
Three lock box
You're love is driving me crazy
There's only on way to rock

Ah, a devoted Hagar fan. Ok, so he had 4-5 hits and don't forget the power ballad from Over the Top (When Eagles Fly).

Listen... he was ok before VH, nothing more ... nothing less.

Bugeater
02-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Ah, a devoted Hagar fan. Ok, so he had 4-5 hits and don't forget the power ballad from Over the Top (When Eagles Fly).

Listen... he was ok before VH, nothing more ... nothing less.
I won't dispute that some of his later stuff was bubble gum, but to say no one would remember him without VH is simply not true. He also teamed up with former Journey guitarist Neil Schon and made a great album as well.

Reerun_KC
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Nope, she is an 80's hair metal, head banging little girl. She so far has rocked out to alot of the reunion tour concerts, and if VH goes with Roth or Sammie, She will be there rocking along with the rest of us old bastards, regardless of who is singing...

Brock
I won't dispute that some of his later stuff was bubble gum, but to say no one would remember him without VH is simply not true. He also teamed up with former Journey guitarist Neil Schon and made a great album as well.

HSAS - that was a forgotten classic.

chagrin

I don't mean to be a jerk here but how old are you? This is a CLASSIC band that is going to be inducted into the hall of fame for pete's sake. They were responsible for more pregnancies probably than REM or B-52's or KORN will ever be. Dude, The Rolling Stones also haven't had a "hit" in 10 years but they are regularly listed in the top 5-10 money grossing tour bands year in and year out.

Maybe you just don't understand what greatness really is? I know that sounds like I am patronizing you but it is very clear to me that in today's freee agent society, there is not much appreciation for the great bands of that time, especially from the younger crowd, and I am just generalizing not saying that everyone under a certain age sucks or whatever, sedated sucks though, but everyone probably doesn't, heh.

Bugeater
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
HSAS - that was a forgotten classic.
That was very unique album, you'd never know by listening to it that it was actually recorded live because the crowd noise was edited out of it.

kc rush
02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Which will happen first?

-GNR Chinese Democracy
-Roth/VH tour

I did enjoy quite a few of the Hagar/VH songs, but with Roth is the true VH. Roth irritates me to no end as a personality, but that band put out some great music.

chagrin
02-22-2007, 11:19 AM
That was very unique album, you'd never know by listening to it that it was actually recorded live because the crowd noise was edited out of it.

I saw the original concert of it on the MTV back in 83 or whenever it was. I wouldn't say "classic" but it was pretty good. Now if you want "Forgotten Classic", you have to go to that Project Neil Schon did with Jan Hammer, LMAO

C-Mac
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Fire Me Boy!
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
You can't forget that Hagar wrote "I've Done Everything for You"... made famous by Rick ****ing Springfield.

ChiefFripp
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Van Halen had 2 good albums almost 30 years ago, I couldn't care less.

It's the same thing with Guns & Roses, even if they reuinted with the original members, they only had one good album anyways so they are not the legends to me that everyone makes them out to be.

More like media darlings than musicians.

chagrin
02-22-2007, 11:42 AM
It's the same thing with Guns & Roses, even if they reuinted with the original members, they only had one good album anyways so they are not the legends to me that everyone makes them out to be.
More like media darlings than musicians.

I totally agree with this part, GNR was a fun rock band to listen to (in my opinion only Appetite For Destruction), then geesus, I don't know WTF happened, not legends in my opinion, but they did sell a ton of records so they will hyped forever.

Bugeater
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
You can't forget that Hagar wrote "I've Done Everything for You"... made famous by Rick ****ing Springfield.
Now that's something I did not know. He definitely loses some points for that.

ILChief
02-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I totally agree with this part, GNR was a fun rock band to listen to (in my opinion only Appetite For Destruction), then geesus, I don't know WTF happened, not legends in my opinion, but they did sell a ton of records so they will hyped forever.

sorry, but the Use Your Illusions were great albums. neither one individually stands up to AFD, but if you took the best 15 or so songs off those two CDs it would make one GREAT cd.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
The rest of the band probably balked when DLR insisted on wearing the buttless pants again, even at the age of 95.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
While I personally prefer the DLR era, Sammy has his plusses. He kicked ass in Montrose.

vailpass
02-22-2007, 12:51 PM
The rest of the band probably balked when DLR insisted on wearing the buttless pants again, even at the age of 95.
ROFL

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 03:42 PM

I think GnR had 2 great albums, Appetite & Lies, Lies is a KILLER album in my book & never seems to get its due.

I only liked a select few songs of the Use Your Illusion set, but it was a huge commercial success. GnR singlehandedly killed off the 80's glam hair music thing (though i like a lot of that stuff), they are certainly legends in my book.

BigRedChief
02-22-2007, 04:23 PM
The rest of the band probably balked when DLR insisted on wearing the buttless pants again, even at the age of 95.Howard Stern has the pants

Fire Me Boy!
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Now that's something I did not know. He definitely loses some points for that.
What's really ... REALLY ... sad is that Rick Springfield did it better. I got a bootleg copy of a Sammy Hagar CD back from 1977 or so and had the original recording of I've Done Everything for You, before Springfield made it famous... boy did it blow.

For the record: I bought the CD because my g/f at the time was a HUGE RS fan... HUGE, both figuratively and literally. And about 2 months after we broke up, she got medicated. Truly, truly psycho.

chagrin
02-23-2007, 07:35 AM
sorry, but the Use Your Illusions were great albums. neither one individually stands up to AFD, but if you took the best 15 or so songs off those two CDs it would make one GREAT cd.

Sorry, but there aren't even 10 "best songs" on UYU 1 and 2 combined.

ILChief
02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Sorry, but there aren't even 10 "best songs" on UYU 1 and 2 combined.

Don't Cry, Dead Horse, Locomotive, Estranged, Civil War, Yesterdays, You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied Up, Coma, etc. Plus a couple of covers (Knockin on Heaven's Door and Live and Let Die) that are better than the originals. Granted, there are some filler crap songs like My World and Bad Apples which is why I contend UYI should have been one album with 12-15 songs. But hey, to each his own.

Brock
02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Van Halen's road plans have taken a rocky turn
February 22nd, 2007

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
February 23, 2007

For Van Halen, the stars seemed aligned for a triumphant 2007. Next month, the group will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the plan was to follow that with a summer reunion tour that would feature David Lee Roth back at the mike for the first time since the Reagan years.

But, once again, the backstage soap opera of Van Halen is the story of the day.

The Van Halen tour has been "shut down," according to a top official at Live Nation, the huge concert promoter that finally surrendered in the face of the chaos surrounding guitar hero Eddie Van Halen. Roth, meanwhile, says he is unsure whether the mercurial guitarist will even travel to New York for the Hall of Fame induction on March 12.

"We have fragile politics in Van Halen; please accept that as a partial answer," Roth said. "But I don't know if the Van Halens are going to go....I hope they do, but right now, I just don't know. Hope springs eternal."

Eddie Van Halen declined interviews through his publicist and girlfriend, Janie Liszewski. Conversations with the business team behind the tour paint a picture of a rock star who is somewhere between Axl Rose and Michael Jackson on the music industry scale of eccentric recluses. The result is that the Van Halen venture imploded before takeoff, even as the Police, the Eagles and Genesis have efficiently geared up for lucrative reunion tours.

"I cannot tell you how frustrating and completely nuts this has been," one key business figure in the tour said while asking not to be identified on the outside chance that the reunion might be salvaged. "Right now, I have to say, I don't see that happening."

It's a disheartening situation for the fans who pine for a Roth-led lineup of the iconic metal band. Among those devoted is Wolfgang Van Halen, the 15-year-old son of Eddie and, according to Roth, a key force behind the reunion.

Wolfgang, a precocious musician, was "the maestro" at the reconstituted band's lone rehearsal, picking the set list and using his iPod to remind his father of the nuances of his solos on the old albums. Wolfgang was tapped by his father to play bass on the tour too, replacing founding member Michael Anthony, a jolting choice considering the child's age and Anthony's status as one of rock's best backup singers and most relentlessly cheerful presences.

Eddie Van Halen remains, by all accounts, a gifted guitarist and rock auteur, but the decision to jettison Anthony in favor of a teenager may have been the first sign that the new enterprise was guided by creaky logic. Now all eyes will be on the Hall of Fame banquet to see who shows up, who performs and how Roth interacts with old rival Sammy Hagar, the man who replaced him as lead singer in 1985 and who will be inducted as an equal.

On Valentine's Day, when the tour still looked viable, Roth was all smiles as he sat down for an interview in a bungalow at Chateau Marmont. The 52- year-old was wearing a snappy black suit and the short haircut that has recently replaced his old pro-wrestler cut. He still flashes a karate smile, but the singer seems calmer and more focused than in years past. The reason, he said, is that he's fresh from working as an emergency medical technician in New York. It's a longtime dream of his to be a paramedic, and the unglamorous gurney and rubber-glove duty humbled him, he said.

"I was working in neighborhoods that were almost exclusively black and Spanish-speaking, so only maybe twice out of 200 clients was I recognized.... I was joking about this in the truck on New Year's Eve, which was my last shift -- I was working in Brooklyn, down in Coney Island -- I said that I've been in more project apartments than Jay-Z and Diddy combined."

Roth was the rock frontman on top of the world when he went solo, but -- as Mick Jagger and Robert Plant also learned -- fans treasure him more when he was side-by-side with an equal on guitar. Roth seemed like a vainglorious sex panther in Van Halen, but on his own he often came off as a relentless jive salesman whose only product was his own past. Roth is still "on" all the time -- he calls it his "incandescent personality" -- but lately he comes off as the voice of reason, a pretty stunning change.

That, and the financial prospects, made him jump at the chance to work with Eddie Van Halen again. Of the old days, he says: "There was a lot of sparks and a lot of tension, like your favorite movies, especially those underground ones.... There was a lot of anxiety too, but it was about ambition, not ego."

Roth was optimistic that the band would follow up the tour with new music; he also pointed to the cache of 1996 recordings that he did with Van Halen during an earlier reunion flirtation. Now it appears the entire output of this new reunion was a single rehearsal in January and a photo shoot with Roth and Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex Van Halen. Alex is Eddie's older brother and the band's drummer.

"Hearing it again, that's an elixir.... What we sell is that we make all the guys feel young and invincible and all the girls feel young and desirable," Roth said. "I watched it happen to everybody that was listening in the studio."

Van Halen was a monster of rock and, for a time, arguably the biggest band in the world. According to the Recording Industry Assn. of America, Van Halen albums have shipped more than 56.5 million copies, which is more than the career totals of U2, Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Prince.

Roth said that he and Anthony will be in New York for the Hall of Fame, as will Hagar, the affable "red rocker."

Last month, Hagar publicly chided Eddie Van Halen for taking his son on tour. He also added that "the guy is a genius, but he's just out there and it's hard for people around him."

In 2004 and 2005, Van Halen toured with Hagar and, according to Pollstar, grossed $55 million playing arenas. But Hagar said that Eddie Van Halen was drinking heavily and, on some nights, it showed. In Chicago, Eddie stumbled throughout the set and, at one point, quit playing and sacked out, telling the crowd: "I done run outta gas."

There were tender scenes too. With the tour winding down in Los Angeles, for instance, Wolfgang came on stage at the Staples Center to play. The body language of father and son made it clear that they reveled in the shared spotlight. Roth said that that affection led to the hopes for the Van Halen reunion.

"I'm going to put some words in Ed's mouth," Roth said. "Whatever explanation he may give about having his son in the band, I'm going to superimpose: He wants to play with his kid while he's still at the top of his game and able to ... and that's also the same reason I'm in the band in its current configuration. No questions asked. He said, 'Hey, c'mon up the hill and make some music.' I said, 'Great. I'd love to play with you while you're still on the top of your game.' "

Roth smiled, but a moment later, when he was asked about what he feared most about the reunion, he didn't hesitate with his answer: "The two worst words in the English lexicon are 'band meeting.' "

Easy 6
02-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Thats a great read, before the article even said it i was thinking "wow, Dave sounds like the down to earth one". Ed had better pull his head outta his azz, he has no right to jerk his loyal fans chains like this.

Brock
02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Forget it, it's over.

stevieray
02-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Roth was the question and Eddie was the answer.

That kind of magic very rarely happens...Sammy just rode the wave.

but Sammy is very talented..no doubt.

It's sad that the legacy might end as such.

Easy 6
02-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Forget it, it's over.

Sad but true, they just kissed away millions.

vailpass
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Agreed, that article explains a lot.
First K-Fed comes across as sane and rational, now Diamond Dave is the calm voice of reason and reconcile.
WTF?

BigRedChief
02-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Agreed, that article explains a lot.
First K-Fed comes across as sane and rational, now Diamond Dave is the calm voice of reason and reconcile.
WTF?
Global Warming strikes again

BigRedChief
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
not so fast. Billboard says it may still be on in the near future.
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003549557

A prospective Van Halen tour with original frontman David Lee Roth has derailed. Sources tell Billboard.com the decision to postpone the outing indefinitely was not due to any internal strife among band members. Insiders close to the situation say a tour is still in the works and will happen, though when is anybody's guess.

The tour, negotiations for which were first tipped here (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/search/google/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003537232) on Jan. 24, will feature Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen, and Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass. A spokesperson for the Van Halen brothers confirmed the tour (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/search/google/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003541580) in a Feb. 3 press release.

Indeed, wheels were in motion for a 40-date, Live Nation-produced amphitheatre tour to be announced Feb. 20, including venues and on-sale dates.

CM8ShowAd("Middle");The Van Halen camp has yet to make any official announcement about the postponement or the reasons behind it.

ChiefFripp
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Maybe they are going to support a new album?

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I always liked Dave's solo stuff?

Funny how I was always an Eddie supporter and never that fond of Dave-and now I really can't stand Eddie. Dave has really matured (Off Coke) and seems to really like Wolfgang. But I bet it is hard to see Mike Anthony kicked out for no reason. I mean how can you not like Sammy and Mike??

Eddie is just insane and I will pass on ever giving him another dollar of my money. Does he even have fans left??

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Police, Eagles, and Genises-they should all tour together and call it...

The who gives a F#ck tour??

Or
Greedy old bastards trying to retire with even more money.

ChiefFripp
02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I guess Dave was pushing to get Mike back in and that threatened and insulted Eddie. Maybe Gary Cherone is available.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
These guys are thowing away a TON of $$$$$ by not re-uniting...

Incredible they cant get over stupid differences...

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
These guys are thowing away a TON of $$$$$ by not re-uniting...

Incredible they cant get over stupid differences...

Its all pretty easy to explain. Eddie wants 99% of the ticket money and everything from merchadise sales.

He can't understand why Dave won't work for free and jump when he says jump. Eddie is a crazy dick is the other reason.

Ebolapox
02-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Police, Eagles, Rush, and Genesis-they should all tour together and call it...

The who gives a F#ck tour??

Or
Greedy old bastards trying to retire with even more money.

:p

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
lol nice one- At least Rush is putting out something new instead of another oldies concert.

I thought Hell freezes over was the Iggles last??

Maybe this will be Hell thawed out then refroze tour. I heard the Iggles are the most boring concert ever-bring a pillow and blanket because they will put you to sleep-lol

BigRedChief
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
From the rock and roll HOF. Only Sammy and Anthony showed up.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/13/rock.hall.ap/index.html

Brock
03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
From the rock and roll HOF. Only Sammy and Anthony showed up.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/13/rock.hall.ap/index.html

Embarrassingly bad. I saw where Stipe did a 180 rather than have to embrace a suddenly XXL sized Sam.

BigRedChief
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Embarrassingly bad. I saw where Stipe did a 180 rather than have to embrace a suddenly XXL sized Sam.
I saw a bit of an HD concert of Sammy last weekend. He didn't seem out of shape in that concert?:hmmm:

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I didn't think the Hall of Shame could get any lower. Now they are bringing in Rap artist. What a joke.

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Stipe is such a sissy rump ranger. How that lame band ever got nominated for anything is beyond me-oh yeah this is the R@R Hall of Shame. :rolleyes:

chasedude
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I guess Dave was pushing to get Mike back in and that threatened and insulted Eddie. Maybe Gary Cherone is available.

Gary Cherone? that was the worst move Van Halen ever made bringing him in.

Brock
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Stipe is such a sissy rump ranger. How that lame band ever got nominated for anything is beyond me-oh yeah this is the R@R Hall of Shame. :rolleyes:

Ironic, considering how gay you are for rush.

BigRedChief
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Gary Cherone? that was the worst move Van Halen ever made bringing him in.
Hey, He was Eddie's musical soulmate.

Carlota69
03-13-2007, 02:08 PM
I just talked to Sammy Hagar. firt off, he has a total hangover and is hurting. but he also said it was a shame that David didn't show up last night and a real shame that no one from the Van halen family ie Alex didnt show either.

Sammy's super cool. he is going to do a free show for us here in Vegas soon. plus he said he's bring the tequila. that makes me happy..

chasedude
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I just talked to Sammy Hagar. firt off, he has a total hangover and is hurting. but he also said it was a shame that David didn't show up last night and a real shame that no one from the Van halen family ie Alex didnt show either.

Sammy's super cool. he is going to do a free show for us here in Vegas soon. plus he said he's bring the tequila. that makes me happy..

I'll take Sammy over David or Gary anyday!

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Ironic, considering how gay you are for rush.

Double Ironic since Stipe is a flaming gay and so are you. :)

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Yep that totally sucks- Sammy and Mike-the coolest part of VH and they look like fools up there, because technically they have been kicked out of VH forever. That is like someone that didn't graduate showing up for a class reunion.

And Sammy still had best wishes for Eddie-even though he is the biggest dick in the world right now. The guy is ALL class!!

They should have just had Gary show up-that would have been great-it would really show what a joke VH and the Hall of Shame has become.

VH will never get another dime of my money-they are done.

4th and Long
03-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Rehab Rules!!!
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6352/grandpavhmd2.png
Wheeeeeee!!!

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Hard to believe Val left that??

crazycoffey
03-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I think Eddie was on board for the reunion and then he found out about DLR's new album......

http://www.davidleeroth.com/images/strumminbnr1.gif (http://www.strumminwiththedevil.com/web/page.asp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18

:eek:

I sorta like bluegrass (artistic views, an appreciation), but this is plain awefull, IMO.

Easy 6
03-13-2007, 03:35 PM
They can officially kiss my ass now, Eddies in rehab & Dave couldnt agree on a song to sing with Velvet Revolver at the HOF induction.

Maybe some things never really change.

Its over.

stevieray
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
congrats eddie..you blew it.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, it's so disappointing to see them screw up an event like the RRHOF. Very odd and sad to see Anthony and friggin Hagar as the only two accepting last night.

Easy 6
03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, it's so disappointing to see them screw up an event like the RRHOF. Very odd and sad to see Anthony and friggin Hagar as the only two accepting last night.

It definitely speaks to the level of disfunction going on with those friggin jerkoffs, cant even make it to their own HOF ceremony.

Atleast i still have the albums.

stevieray
03-13-2007, 05:21 PM
It definitely speaks to the level of disfunction going on with those friggin jerkoffs, cant even make it to their own HOF ceremony.

Atleast i still have the albums.

Ironic that Dave would be without fault.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Sounds like Dave is finally playing nice, but the VH brothers just can't get their shit straight. Sadly, Anthony is twisting in the wind... the only sane one of the bunch.

Sammy looked like a bag of warm hell last night.

Easy 6
03-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Ironic that Dave would be without fault.

As far as the reunion i agree, but to haggle with a great band over what song to sing at the induction??? Still sounds pretty weird to me, you'd think Dave would love to hog the VH spotlight without Ed etc. around.

It just sux to see it crumble, my hopes were sky high.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.vhnd.com/articles/070308-01.shtml

Of the original band, only deposed bassist Michael Anthony will appear at the induction ceremony.

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer

March 9, 2007How did that old Van Halen song go? "I found the simple life ain't so simple ... " The iconic Los Angeles metal band is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a lavish New York banquet Monday night, but now it appears that only one original member, bassist Michael Anthony, will even show up.

David Lee Roth, the band's frontman for its first decade, said Thursday he will not attend the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ceremony because event officials have turned down his repeated overtures to perform."I don't make speeches for a living; I sing and dance for my dinner," Roth said, adding that the decision to skip the event "rips my heart out."

The hall of fame's event organizers plan for Velvet Revolver to perform some Van Halen classics, much as Metallica stood in last year to play Black Sabbath songs while that band's members watched from the audience. "So it appears this is a television producer's decision," Roth said.The choice of Velvet Revolver was in response to a sticky situation as far as what lineup of Van Halen could take the stage to perform with Roth.

Van Halen's revered guitar hero, Eddie Van Halen, and his brother, drummer Alex, had already sent signals that they would not be in New York. The Van Halens have been in lock-down mode since their plans for a summer reunion tour with Roth collapsed last month. Roth said he last spoke to Eddie Van Halen's camp a week ago, and he said he could not determine the truth about reports that the guitarist is seeking help for alcohol problems.

"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man.... What's happening here with this [New York event] is part and parcel of the same spiral that screwed up the tour."Without the Brothers Van Halen, the Hall faced the prospect of putting Roth on stage with bass player Michael Anthony, who is the lone founding member expected to attend, and Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement in the band and longtime foil, who logged more than a decade as the band's frontman.

Hagar confirmed Thursday he is attending.Roth said Thursday he had been preparing since December for the chance to perform for the industry elite, the media and a television audience that will be watching the ceremony live on VH1 Classics."It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."

The other inductees this year are R.E.M., Patti Smith, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and the Ronettes. The 2007 inductees were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after their first recording was released. The ceremony will also be streamed live on AOL at spinner.aol.com/rockhall.

Easy 6
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Thats interesting about the hall making the decision about DLR performing & i agree with his point. When a football great goes to the hall, they dont have some guy from a different team make his speech for him.

& Ed surviving cancer & yet still cant put down the booze (or who knows what)...what a disgrace, not to mention all of the bank they stood to make.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah, you know their record company is dreaming of the millions lost. If they had been able to keep their shit together and "co-exist" for a friggin year... launching the reunion tour on the heels of an explosive performance at the RRHOF... hottest ticket of 2007!

"...dream another dream, this dream is over..."

Easy 6
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
"...dream another dream, this dream is over..."

... :huh: ......

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 06:14 PM
I think Eddie was on board for the reunion and then he found out about DLR's new album......

http://www.davidleeroth.com/images/strumminbnr1.gif (http://www.strumminwiththedevil.com/web/page.asp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18

:eek:

I sorta like bluegrass (artistic views, an appreciation), but this is plain awefull, IMO.

Not as bas as I thought it would be. Good musicianship.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, the bluegrass deal wasn't a DLR creation... these guys were big fans of VH, they play bluegrass and wanted to do a tribute album with Dave singing on a track or 2.

Not a bad idea, kind of interesting to hear the songs in that genre of music.

Hell, I like that much better than the Cherone Experiment.

Halfcan
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah, the bluegrass deal wasn't a DLR creation... these guys were big fans of VH, they play bluegrass and wanted to do a tribute album with Dave singing on a track or 2.

Not a bad idea, kind of interesting to hear the songs in that genre of music.

Hell, I like that much better than the Cherone Experiment.

Yeah I don't really like that kind of music-but that band was pretty tight. You could tell Dave wanted to jump all over the stage, but forced himself not too.

His voice has sounded worse. So I would give it a solid C for effort.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I thought their version of Eruption was kinda cool.