PDA

View Full Version : Denny Matthews!!!!

vckcchiefs04
02-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Congrats Denny! Hall of Fame announcer!!! A summer night of the Royals on the radio is nothing without Denny Matthews!!!

Sully
02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Boo.

He's the voice I grew up with, but not great at all.

teedubya
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Awesome... to be doing it for nearly 40 years is impressive. He is definitely a Hall of Famer in my book

Besides, I love the Denny Matthews Band.

vckcchiefs04
02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Boo.

He's the voice I grew up with, but not great at all.
Then move!

Archie Bunker
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Ryan and him are a good combo. Since I live in Cardinal TV country I have to listen to just about every game on the radio. Always entertaining even when the Royals are losing 14-3.

L.A. Chieffan
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
You gotta give credit to anybody that's been thru that many Royals games.

Sully
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Then move!

Move?
Because I don't think an announcer is HOF worthy?
Overreact, much?

Pitt Gorilla
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
He deserves it. Listening to Denny broadcast the Royals on radio will always be a fond memory. I know he's slowly getting out of the gig, but I certainly enjoy the opportunities to listen that remain. Congrats denny.

Eleazar
02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Awesome. One of the best announcers in any sport IMO.

He knows everything there is to know, he's been with the team since its inception. He has a great voice, he never exaggerates a call and he never undersells a moment. Catches all the little things, and always has a story about an old time ballplayer to fill an idle moment.

IMO he's an underappreciated person, a national treasure. He should be as famous as Vin Skully or any of them.

Simply Red
02-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Denny was good and very sentimental as a yoot growin up in da hood.

vckcchiefs04
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Move?
Because I don't think an announcer is HOF worthy?
Overreact, much?
Not at all. But in this situation this should be praising Denny's work and his ultimate reward, not what you don't like or how you think his work is in a negative manor. You could have kept the comment to yourself, that's all man. :shake:

Sully
02-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Not at all. But in this situation this should be praising Denny's work and his ultimate reward, not what you don't like or how you think his work is in a negative manor. You could have kept the comment to yourself, that's all man. :shake:

You've got a ****ed up view of what threads on ChiefsPlanet are about, man.

ChiTown
02-22-2007, 02:47 PM

lol.

Please, enlighten us...........

vckcchiefs04
02-22-2007, 02:48 PM
the feeling is mutual. :shake:

Sully
02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
lol.

Please, enlighten us...........

Maybe I'm wrong.

Are they all about being sycophants to one another and keeping quiet if we disagree with a topic? If that's the case, then I have REALLY misunderstood a lot of threads.

tk13
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
That is pretty awesome. Denny definitely deserves it, probably one of the more underrated announcers in baseball.

siberian khatru
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
That is pretty awesome. Denny definitely deserves it, probably one of the more underrated announcers in baseball.

Back in one of his Abstracts in the 80s, Bill James wrote a nice piece on Denny. He countered the criticism that Denny wasn't flashy with the observation that he was impeccably accurate. IIRC, he cited an example where Denny gave the ball and strike count then noted that the scoreboard had it wrong -- in other words, Denny was following the game, not thinking of ways to entertain.

Back in the 70s I spent summers with my grandparents in Missouri, and Denny and Fred gave me lots of great memories.

Eleazar
02-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Back in the 70s I spent summers with my grandparents in Missouri, and Denny and Fred gave me lots of great memories.

I can remember his voice from when I was a little kid in the 80s, coming out of the battery-powered radio on the workbench in my dad's garage, in his old VW beetle, out of the staticy speakers in my own first car, all the way to the headphones on my computer at work in a few weeks. He's such a fixture that you find it hard to imagine baseball without him. I'm glad the man got to call a championship.

chiefqueen
02-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Here's the link from the Royals website:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070222&content_id=1811567&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

siberian khatru
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Here's the link from the Royals website:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070222&content_id=1811567&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

"A 20-member electorate, comprised of the 14 living Frick Award recipients and six historians/columnists, selected Matthews from a group of 10 finalists, which included three broadcasters chosen by an online vote of fans: Ken Harrelson (Chicago White Sox), Bill King (Oakland Athletics) and Joe Nuxhall (Cincinnati Reds)."

Thank God Denny beat out that cockbite mother****er.

Reaper16
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
"A 20-member electorate, comprised of the 14 living Frick Award recipients and six historians/columnists, selected Matthews from a group of 10 finalists, which included three broadcasters chosen by an online vote of fans: Ken Harrelson (Chicago White Sox), Bill King (Oakland Athletics) and Joe Nuxhall (Cincinnati Reds)."

That would have been the death knell, the final proverbial nail in the coffin, for the HoF.

Skip Towne
02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I heard he's gay.

Reaper16
02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I heard he's gay.
Hawk Harrelson? I believe it.

L.A. Chieffan
02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I heard he's gay.
Tim Hardaway hates Royals announcers.

HemiEd
02-22-2007, 03:28 PM
He deserves it. Listening to Denny broadcast the Royals on radio will always be a fond memory. I know he's slowly getting out of the gig, but I certainly enjoy the opportunities to listen that remain. Congrats denny.

He is the greatest IMO, lots of hours listening to him and Fred White.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
IMO he's an underappreciated person, a national treasure. He should be as famous as Vin Skully or any of them.
I totally agree. If the Royals had been winning all these years or if Denny was with a team that did... or at least was in a big market, he probably would be as well known as Vin Scully.

Some of my favorite memories as a kid were listening to Royals games with Fred and Denny. I'm always really glad to hear him still on there when I come back home. He's as much a part of Royals history as George Brett or Frank White to me.

Denny has always had a way of making you feel like a friend when you listen to him... and to be honest, when I became a broadcaster I tried to take that part from Denny and make it part of my own persona... even though I don't call ball games. He and a guy named Charlie Summers who worked (maybe still does) in radio in Topeka always had that quality and it's always been something I've tried to do myself.

Congrats Denny! You deserve it! I hope the Royals can give you a season or two to get excited about before you call it quits.

chiefqueen
02-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Hey, Hawk, old bud, do us a favor and put it on the BOARD, YEEESSS!!!

HemiEd
02-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey, Hawk, old bud, do us a favor and put it on the BOARD, YEEESSS!!!

I have a pretty high opinion of Hawk. I only watch a White Sox game if they are playing the Royals. IMO he does the best job of properly representing the Royals, even as an opposing team. He is usually very complimentary of them.

The one that pisses me off, Ed Farmer. I will never forgive him, every! If I ever run into him, I might just tell him so.

Eleazar
02-22-2007, 03:45 PM
That would have been the death knell, the final proverbial nail in the coffin, for the HoF.

That clown gets into the Hall of Fame they should tear it down.

siberian khatru
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I have a pretty high opinion of Hawk. I only watch a White Sox game if they are playing the Royals. IMO he does the best job of properly representing the Royals, even as an opposing team. He is usually very complimentary of them.

The one that pisses me off, Ed Farmer. I will never forgive him, every! If I ever run into him, I might just tell him so.

Heh, me too. I just can't get past it. Guess that makes me Al Cowens.

chiefqueen
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Read the comment after the article, thoughts?

http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=2775431&section=mlb

ChiefsCountry
02-22-2007, 04:56 PM
I know I am going to get blasted for this but I always thought Denny Matthews did a better job than Jack Buck.

WilliamTheIrish
02-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Back in one of his Abstracts in the 80s, Bill James wrote a nice piece on Denny. He countered the criticism that Denny wasn't flashy with the observation that he was impeccably accurate. IIRC, he cited an example where Denny gave the ball and strike count then noted that the scoreboard had it wrong -- in other words, Denny was following the game, not thinking of ways to entertain.

I believe that was the 84 Baseball Abstract.

Denny was very good at painting a picture of the game. Denny kept it very simple.

Funny story: My brother and I went to the Stadium in early March of 1976 to buy 40+ tickets for opening day that season. We got there at 6:30 am. I got out and unhooked the chain that served as the barrier to the lot.
We waited till 7:15 or so and headed to the booth to make our purchase, happy that we were first in line. As we waited Denny passed by and we exchanged greetings and our hopes for the upcoming season. Denny came out a few minutes and brought us coffee and hot chocolate.
We purchased our ducats and headed back for the car. As luck would have it, we were parked next to Denny's car. We noticed he had two large ROYALS RADIO NETWORK with the Royals logo. We peeled both of those magnets off Denny's car and snuck away.

On opening day, 5 of my brothers and me were waiting at the players entrance, hoping to get a few signatures when Denny came strolling by. My brother yelled out, "Thanks for the magnets, Denny"!

He was a good sport. Told us "Id have given them to you, if you asked".

I've had the pleasur eof meeting Denny at Royals functions on numerous occasions and he's been nothing but pleasant on all occasions.

I'm happy and proud for him. He's plenty deserving.

Skip Towne
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Denny was very good at painting a picture of the game. Denny kept it very simple.

Funny story: My brother and I went to the Stadium in early March of 1976 to buy 40+ tickets for opening day that season. We got there at 6:30 am. I got out and unhooked the chain that served as the barrier to the lot.
We waited till 7:15 or so and headed to the booth to make our purchase, happy that we were first in line. As we waited Denny passed by and we exchanged greetings and our hopes for the upcoming season. Denny came out a few minutes and brought us coffee and hot chocolate.
We purchased our ducats and headed back for the car. As luck would have it, we were parked next to Denny's car. We noticed he had two large ROYALS RADIO NETWORK with the Royals logo. We peeled both of those magnets off Denny's car and snuck away.

On opening day, 5 of my brothers and me were waiting at the players entrance, hoping to get a few signatures when Denny came strolling by. My brother yelled out, "Thanks for the magnets, Denny"!

I've had the pleasur eof meeting Denny at Royals functions on numerous occasions and he's been nothing but pleasant on all occasions.

I heard you were gay.

Extra Point
02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Itsch wonderful he got picktchd! Not bad for a guy with an obnoxious speach impedimentch.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I know I am going to get blasted for this but I always thought Denny Matthews did a better job than Jack Buck.
Not just better... completely and totally superior.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM

So he's such a great guy that you stole from him. Cool.
:shake:

WilliamTheIrish
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
So he's such a great guy that you stole from him. Cool.
:shake:

Actually bore me, I stole fom the Royals franchise. The car was owned by the Royals as well as the magnets.

Skip Towne
02-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Actually bore me, I stole fom the Royals franchise. The car was owned by the Royals as well as the magnets.
:LOL: Bore me. Hahaha. Good one, William.