PDA

View Full Version : Corey Dillon follows Tiki out the door

Sam Hall
02-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Everybody move up Laurence Maroney on your fantasy board

Updated: Feb. 23, 2007, 12:59 AM ET
Report: Patriots' Dillon ready to retire after 10 seasons
ESPN.com news services

After ten seasons of pounding from NFL defenses, New England Patriots back Corey Dillon is ready to call it quits.

According to a report in Friday's Boston Globe, the 32-year-old Dillon will ask the Patriots for his release and walk away from the game on his own terms.

"I think more of my health, how I envision myself 5-10 years down the road," he told the Globe. "I don't want to be broken down, not able to play with my kids."

He said the prospect of his returning to another team was unlikely, but anything's possible.

"Football is the furthest thing on my mind right now,'' Dillon said in the Globe story. ''I may wake up and feel the itch and decide I still want to shake it, but as of now, I doubt that will happen.''

Dillon, who is under contract for the next three seasons with a 2007 salary cap charge of $4.4 million, told the newspaper he has yet to speak with the team.

"I've been blessed and fortunate enough to play 10 years," he said. "I can get up and walk around and be comfortable. That's one of the big determining factors."

Dillon spent the last three seasons with the Patriots after a seven-year stay with the Cincinnati Bengals. He rushed for 812 yards and 13 touchdowns last season and had shared carries with rookie Laurence Maroney. He would leave the game with one Super Bowl title (with the Patriots in 2004), 11,241 rushing yards (14th on the league's all-time list) and 82 touchdowns.

"I gave them what they wanted; I didn't come in and steal money," he was quoted as saying. "I felt like the money they spent was well earned."

SPchief
02-23-2007, 03:57 AM
What a pussy

ZootedGranny
02-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Everybody move up Laurence Maroney on your fantasy board

*gives a Tiger Woods fist pump*

I drafted Maroney last year in my keeper league. Unfortunately for me, Barber was my #1 back, so now I'm hurting. I have Jacobs, but I'm not sold on him as a starter.

Amnorix
02-23-2007, 07:00 AM
The Herald has a slightly different spin. Says Dillon wants to start, that 10-12 carries isn't enough for him, and that he wants to be released, and then analyze all opportunities, which could include retirement.

Reality, in my opinion -- the Pats asked him to take a pay cut, he refused, and the team and Dillon have agreed to this cover story so there is no suggestion that he was cut by the team.

Either way, I'm VERY sorry to see him go, but hardly surprised. We all knew his number was a bit high for this year. :(

02-23-2007, 07:13 AM
The Herald has a slightly different spin. Says Dillon wants to start, that 10-12 carries isn't enough for him, and that he wants to be released, and then analyze all opportunities, which could include retirement.

Reality, in my opinion -- the Pats asked him to take a pay cut, he refused, and the team and Dillon have agreed to this cover story so there is no suggestion that he was cut by the team.

Either way, I'm VERY sorry to see him go, but hardly surprised. We all knew his number was a bit high for this year. :(
He has gotten HUGE since going to play for mumbles..I was watching old film of him a couple of years ago with the Bengals..he must have put on 30lb's..and it shows..he's like a turtle now..much slower with no quickness.

I just think he wants to get paid without having to play the next 3 years.

cadmonkey
02-23-2007, 07:13 AM

Do you in any way trust the Herald? I don't. Its just a tabloid. Even the sports are a tabloid.

Amnorix
02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Do you in any way trust the Herald? I don't. Its just a tabloid. Even the sports are a tabloid.

I think the Pats coverage by both the Herald and Globe (other than Mike Reiss) generally sucks.

But they were quoting his agent, on the record, so who knows. Maybe his agent is trying to convince him...

StcChief
02-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Maroney in the FF keeper league...

ck_IN
02-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Amnorix I thought I saw where you guys had $30 mill in cap space. Is that right? Any idea on what the plan with that cash is?

Hammock Parties
02-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Dillon has lost almost all of his speed.

But hey can we trade for him I heard it was happening! :)

Amnorix
02-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Amnorix I thought I saw where you guys had $30 mill in cap space. Is that right? Any idea on what the plan with that cash is?

It's ton, much like other teams.

What's the plan? The same as always -- to not overpay anyone, and continue to field a "big, tough, strong, smart football team that competes for championships year after year" or whatever the precise mantra is.

Asante Samuel accoutns for about $7M now, as he's been frnachised. We'll see what will happen there. The only other "big" free agent (relatively speakign) is Daniel Graham, who seems poised to hit FA.

I'd imagine we'll pursue some linebackers, particularly Donnie Edwards and possibly Adaleus (sp?) Thomas in Free Agency. I imagine we had Briggs in our sights (who didn't) until he was franchised by the Bears. London Fletcher and Kawika Mitchell would also be likely possibilities for not-top dollar, IMHO.

We REALLY need a WR, especially nwo that Chad Jackson has been revealed as having suffered an ACL in the Championship Game. Drew Bennett or Donte Stallworth, maybe? I think we'll pursue Bennett strongly.

We could use a veteran RB now that Dillon is out of the picture, but I doubt we'll pay a helluva lot (what else is new).

Other than that, we have 2 1st round picks and we might restructure some guys.

But as usual, I don't expect to see us reel in some incredibly hot FA for huge dollars. It's just not the way they do things in Foxboro.

Phobia
02-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Dillon has lost almost all of his speed.

But hey can we trade for him I heard it was happening! :)

I'll bet I know from whom, too.

ck_IN
02-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice take Amnorix. It seems the talking heads had you guys signing Thomas, Edwards, Stallworth and just about every other FA out there. That would be completely out of character for the Pats but who knows.

Just as long as you guys lose twice to the Colts I don't care what else you do. :)

Amnorix
02-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Nice take Amnorix. It seems the talking heads had you guys signing Thomas, Edwards, Stallworth and just about every other FA out there. That would be completely out of character for the Pats but who knows.

Just as long as you guys lose twice to the Colts I don't care what else you do. :)

Don't count on that happening again, is all I have to say. Winning the big prize tends to ruin nearly all teams. I'm not sure what will happen with the Colts, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a drop off.

And jus tremember this -- in the last 5 years the Pats and Colts have played 180 minutes of playoff football. The Colts have had the lead in those games for a grand total of ONE minute. Unfortunately, it was the last minute of the most recent AFC Championship game.

Sam Hall
02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
*gives a Tiger Woods fist pump*

I drafted Maroney last year in my keeper league. Unfortunately for me, Barber was my #1 back, so now I'm hurting. I have Jacobs, but I'm not sold on him as a starter.

I'm in a similar situation, only with Joseph Addai. I feel pretty good.

ck_IN
02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
<i>in the last 5 years the Pats and Colts have played 180 minutes of playoff football. The Colts have had the lead in those games for a grand total of ONE minute. Unfortunately, it was the last minute of the most recent AFC Championship game.</i>

It doesn't matter who starts the fastest. It's who finishes the fastest. :)

I'm expecting a dropoff this coming year with the Colts. It's almost inevitable. However I still think the Colts and Pats are the top two teams in the AFC with SD placing third.

Perhaps you guys should draft a kicker and punter with those two first round picks. You can never have enough talent at those two positions. ;)

el borracho
02-23-2007, 02:13 PM
... we have 2 1st round picks and we might restructure some guys.
How did the Pats get a second pick in the first round this year?

ck_IN
02-23-2007, 02:17 PM
<i>How did the Pats get a second pick in the first round this year?</i>

They traded Deion Branch to Seattle. I thought Seattle brokered a bad deal. I thought a second would have been more like it. But he did play well for them.

Amnorix
02-23-2007, 02:19 PM
How did the Pats get a second pick in the first round this year?

Deion Branch.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
"Dillon, who is under contract for the next three seasons with a 2007 salary cap charge of $4.4 million, told the newspaper he has yet to speak with the team."

Am I the only one that thinks that's a real asshole way to be... talking to the media before talking to your employer...?

:shake:

Toad
02-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Either way, I'm VERY sorry to see him go, but hardly surprised. We all knew his number was a bit high for this year.

This is a perfect example of difference between the Patriots and the Chiefs organization right now. They are usually comfortably under the cap and have the luxury to let solid players walk with quality youth in the wings while we constantly wrestle the cap only to re-sign and re-structure our own worn out retreads because Carl cannot evaluate young talent.

Dang it, I just depressed myself....

dred
02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I added Maroney and Frank Gore to my keeper league last year.

So this is good news to me.

:p

Sam Hall
02-23-2007, 10:50 PM
My headline might be a little premature; I suppose Dillon could go to Oakland if he really wanted to play. I would advise him against it :) I think he's right about wanting to retire with good health.