PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Jarrett Article

Tribal Warfare
02-23-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_1587376.php

Jarrett must prove he's quite a catch
By MICHAEL LEV
The Orange County Register
Over the next few days at the NFL scouting combine, Dwayne Jarrett will begin the process of proving he can separate from pro-caliber cornerbacks.

And from Mike Williams.

At one time, Jarrett would have viewed any comparison to his predecessor at USC as a compliment. Today, it is no longer in Jarrett's best interest to be like Mike.

Like Williams, Jarrett is a tall, record-setting Trojans receiver with a questionable 40-yard dash time who entered the draft early. Williams had even bigger concerns regarding his work ethic and maturity. Detroit selected him with the 10th pick in 2005, and he has done little to change those perceptions.

"This kid has some of the same issues," Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki said of Jarrett. "It's fair to compare them."

When longtime ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. talks to NFL scouts about Jarrett, "the first thing they bring up is Mike Williams," Kiper said.

Jarrett can demonstrate he isn't Mike Williams II by wowing team officials in interviews (mandatory) and making scouts double-check their stopwatches in the 40 (optional). Whether Jarrett runs at the combine remains to be seen; repeated efforts to reach him through his agent were unsuccessful.

The 40 is considered particularly important in Jarrett's case. He has desirable size (6-foot-5, 210 pounds), great dexterity, excellent hands and a highlight reel full of clutch catches.

"The key for Jarrett is going to be what he runs," an AFC personnel executive said. "If he can run in the mid to low 4.5s, he will go in the top 20. If not, then he will end up in the second round."
Early mock drafts have Jarrett going anywhere from 11th (to San Francisco) to 19th (to Tennessee, where Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow have USC ties) to Round 2. Oakland - coached by Lane Kiffin, who tutored Jarrett in college - picks first in the second round.

Since the star-studded, Keyshawn Johnson-led receiver class of 1996, disappointing first-round receivers have become almost an annual tradition. The list includes Yatil Green, Reidel Anthony, Rae Carruth, Marcus Nash, Troy Edwards, Peter Warrick, Sylvester Morris, R.Jay Soward, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Freddie Mitchell, Charles Rogers and Rashaun Woods.

And, of course, Mike Williams.

Kiper is quick to note that Williams faced unusual circumstances: He sat out a year after trying unsuccessfully to enter the 2004 draft as a sophomore.

Jarrett started for most of three seasons. Although tall like Williams, Jarrett has a different body type - which some scouts view as a positive, others as a negative.

"He is smoother than Mike Williams - more like a basketball player - but not as strong or physical," the AFC personnel executive said.

Jarrett's lack of strength could cause him to struggle against big, physical cornerbacks.

"I don't think Dwayne Jarrett has the skills today to get off the line of scrimmage against quality NFL corners," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "(But) he's a great athlete, he runs better than Mike Williams, he changes direction better than Mike Williams, he's nowhere near as stiff through the hips as Mike Williams."

Nawrocki said Jarrett is "much more athletic" than Williams and plays faster than he times. Nawrocki praised Jarrett for beating top Michigan prospect Leon Hall in the Rose Bowl and, the season before, Fresno State's Richard Marshall, a second-round pick last year who started eight games for Carolina.

But, Nawrocki added, Jarrett "couldn't get off the jam in the Arkansas game against Chris Houston. He must show he can beat press coverage. Guys in the league are a lot bigger and more physical."

This is the time of year when scouts pick apart prospects, so in that way Jarrett isn't unlike most other would- be draftees. The only receiver in this class considered a sure thing - if that's possible - is Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson.

"I don't think another receiver will go in the top 10," Kiper said, "unless Dwayne Jarrett has a great combine."

He'll look great in a Chiefs uniform :rockon:

JBucc
02-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty convinced at this point we're gonna get a WR in the first round. Jarrett would be fantastic.

ChiefsCountry
02-23-2007, 03:00 PM
WR seems to be the best value at our spot. Jarrett seems like Tamba and DJ before, very productive college players which teams will fine flaws to cause them to drop even though they will turn out as good NFL players.

jspchief
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Just say no to Mike Williams II

Tribal Warfare
02-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Just say no to Mike Williams II

Which isn't Jarrett :rockon:

ChiefsCountry
02-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Jarrett isnt doing any drills at the combine.

Tribal Warfare
02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Jarrett isnt doing any drills at the combine.

He has 4.65 speed that's why

ChiefsCountry
02-23-2007, 06:06 PM
He has 4.65 speed that's why

Yeah I know, keep on sliding down to our pick. :)

Archie Bunker
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm souring on Jarrett and jumping on the Meachem bandwagon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said that he heard Dwayne Jarrett was running in the 4.7's while training for the Combine, so he decided not to run this work.

Mecca
02-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said that he heard Dwayne Jarrett was running in the 4.7's while training for the Combine, so he decided not to run this work.

He plays faster than he's going to run....he isn't a track guy.

chief2000
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
This is why WRs are such a crapshoot.

No one agrees on what it takes to succeed.

Is it speed ? Is it size ? Is it hands ? Is it route running ?

I like what New Orleans did. Take that F-ing position with a low low round pick and make the pussies(wrs) earn it.

Mecca
02-25-2007, 01:53 PM
This is why WRs are such a crapshoot.

No one agrees on what it takes to succeed.

Is it speed ? Is it size ? Is it hands ? Is it route running ?

I like what New Orleans did. Take that F-ing position with a low low round pick and make the pussies(wrs) earn it.

That doesn't generally work....or Jeff Webb and Chris Hannon would be good.

Yes it takes talent to play the position but it also takes desire......some guys have it some guys don't. Dwayne Jarrett looks like he wants to show everyone he's the best player on the field everytime he plays, that's what counts when seperating guys so close together.

ChiefsCountry
02-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Jarrett is the real deal. He is close to Calvin Johnson IMO, the big difference is the speed between the two.

kepp
02-26-2007, 08:28 AM

I'd be fine with either of them...take the smarter of the two.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Echoing what Mecca said their is track speed and then their is football speed. The perfect examples are the greats Jerry Rice, Steve Largeant, then the current guys Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens.

Archie Bunker
02-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Echoing what Mecca said their is track speed and then their is football speed. The perfect examples are the greats Jerry Rice, Steve Largeant, then the current guys Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens.

I usually don't let 40 times cloud my judgement but 4.7's caught my attention. The kid makes plays and that's all the matters. Probably an overreaction on my part.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I usually don't let 40 times cloud my judgement but 4.7's caught my attention. The kid makes plays and that's all the matters. Probably an overreaction on my part.

Steve Largeant ran a 4.8

Direckshun
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Jarrett's either a head case or not very smart.

I haven't been impressed with anything he's said or been quoted as saying. A couple times, I've been disgusted by the stupidity of what he's said.

Tribal Warfare
02-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Jarrett's either a head case or not very smart.

I haven't been impressed with anything he's said or been quoted as saying. A couple times, I've been disgusted by the stupidity of what he's said.

How???? he's very eloquent speaker, and he actually said " I'm a student of the game" concerning his work ethic.

Dude no disrespect, but get your facts straight.

Direckshun
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Well the most recent example comes from SI:

"I respect him, he respects me, and that's how we pretty much differ.'' (re: USC teammate Mike Williams)

"[USC's coaching staff] is the best coaching staff I've ever been around.'' (Compared to what, exactly?)

Just haven't liked much of what I've read directly from the guy.

htismaqe
02-26-2007, 01:55 PM
"I respect him, he respects me, and that's how we pretty much differ.'' (re: USC teammate Mike Williams)

You don't think he's getting sick of answering the comparison to Mike "Bust" Williams? Give the guy a break.

"[USC's coaching staff] is the best coaching staff I've ever been around.'' (Compared to what, exactly?)

The fact that you have a problem with this quote, is well...uh...I can't believe you'd even bring it up.

ChiefsCountry
02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Jarrett is a football player, if he had 4.3 speed him and Johnson would be battling for the top receiver spot. I saw a player show up in big games and be the top player. Heck I thought he was the best prospect on that team when they had Bush and Leinart.

Sure-Oz
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd still take him at 23 if he falls to us....

I saw Kipers thing say we get Aaron Ross/CB Texas

Mr. Laz
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
all depends on his 40 time ... anything above a 4.6 and his stock falls like a rock.

saw mayock showing film about how jarrett struggles versus press coverage and then didn't have the speed to get separation after contact.

that's death in the NFL

if a cornerback can jam you and then turn and run with you without needing a safety over-the-top then you are pretty much worthless.

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
all depends on his 40 time ... anything above a 4.6 and his stock falls like a rock.

saw mayock showing film about how jarrett struggles versus press coverage and then didn't have the speed to get separation after contact.

that's death in the NFL

if a cornerback can jam you and then turn and run with you without needing a safety over-the-top then you are pretty much worthless.

Vermeil then said you can teach kids technique to create better separation of the jam, and Jarrett seems like a guy that will do what it takes to improve

Mr. Laz
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Vermeil then said you can teach kids technique to create better separation of the jam, and Jarrett seems like a guy that will do what it takes to improve
ya ... maybe

but vermeil can't teach him to be faster

kid stands to make or lose millions and millions on his 40 time this year.

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2007, 12:16 PM
ya ... maybe

but vermeil can't teach him to be faster

kid stands to make or lose millions and millions on his 40 time this year.

fast doesn't equate to being better running routes, beterr hands, better drive to go up and catch the ball in traffic. the guy has produced bigtime in big games and against top competition, and you can't deny that

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I would rather have somebody like Jarrett who can catch but might not be the fastest than somebody like Samie Parker who is fast but cant catch.

Sure-Oz
02-27-2007, 03:45 PM
DJ has been a big game and big time reciever, i would def. take him, i dont care about the stupid 40 times.